• 396,405 Topics
• 22,588 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Bend but don't Bert" defense  (Read 2930 times)

HeathWimp

• All-American Hogvillian
  • AKA "Frank's Slap Rendition Camp"
"Bend but don't Bert" defense
« on: August 10, 2018, 08:09:20 am »

Although I'm skeptical that Chavis will be able to implement his defense with the talent we have, it will be refreshing to see us attacking on defense.  At least there's a chance that we could get a big play that way.  Watching "Bend but don't Bert" the last few years was excruciating.  Watching short and medium-range passes get completed time after time, with no pressure on the QB was just.....ugghh.

Back in the Nutt Era, I thought Herring went too far with his aggressive style, and I got tired of seeing us get burned on long plays.  However, I'd be glad to get back to that level, since we were competitive.  It's not like we weren't getting burned the last 2 years, even though the defense was supposedly designed to limit big plays. 

hoglady

Re: "Bend but don't Bert" defense
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2018, 08:13:32 am »

No kidding.
Last year's defense was really hard to watch.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

jhogg

• Bench Warmer
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2018, 08:18:57 am »

Although I'm skeptical that Chavis will be able to implement his defense with the talent we have, it will be refreshing to see us attacking on defense.  At least there's a chance that we could get a big play that way.  Watching "Bend but don't Bert" the last few years was excruciating.  Watching short and medium-range passes get completed time after time, with no pressure on the QB was just.....ugghh.

Back in the Nutt Era, I thought Herring went too far with his aggressive style, and I got tired of seeing us get burned on long plays.  However, I'd be glad to get back to that level, since we were competitive.  It's not like we weren't getting burned the last 2 years, even though the defense was supposedly designed to limit big plays.
this years coaching staff approach to the game is totally different from last years staff, we will see adjustments made during the game and at halftime,  on offense I don't think we will see Coach Morris take his foot off of the gas pedal, on defense we will see a unit that will pressure the QB, and bring a lot more blitzing

#hammerdown

• Varsity
  • Bring Back the Chrome Dome
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2018, 08:23:52 am »

I have never been more frustrated with our defense than I have for the last 3 years.  However, I don't think (at least I hope) it was always a talent issue.  I believe the play it safe scheme we were running just makes a Heisman Hopeful out of every QB.  And then when we are out of position we gave up huge chunk plays.

I must admit though that part of my concern about the coming season is the possibility that talent has been more of the issue than I want to admit.

A lesser talented player gets by with playing "bend but don't burt" as you call it easier than playing in a very aggressive attacking defense.

If we have a significant talent issue the defense could actually be worse.  :o

On the plays we get to the QB they could look great.  But let a LB be out of position and a blitzing corner not get to the QB and we better hope we can score a lot of points.

I hope and believe we have the players.  I believe we will make havoc for the opposing QBs enough that we can rattle at least the lower tier QBs we play.  The elite ones may pick us apart.  But even that would be grand improvement.

HOGINTENNESSEE

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Ryan Mallett: "I don't get nervous"
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2018, 08:26:57 am »

Bend and Break

Arazorbackguy1

• Alive!
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2018, 08:29:39 am »

rhames

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2018, 08:30:46 am »

Sometimes the lack of effort was the hardest part to watch on the defense the past 2 seasons.

PORKULATOR

• knows how to 'dunk the crumpets'
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2018, 08:41:52 am »

Garbage

AirWarren

• Uncommonly, Unfinished Business.
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2018, 08:47:35 am »

No kidding.

Out of position. Bad angles. Arm tackles.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 09:04:21 am by AirWarren »

Ex-Trumpet

• Gold Hogvillian
  • When life gives you lemons, get a boob job!
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2018, 09:02:03 am »

Bend but don't Bert.....lol!

Wild Boarnado

• Varsity
  • Do unto others as you would have them do to you
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2018, 09:21:35 am »

We certainly ran a "Bent and Broken" defense the last couple of seasons. From the pros all the way down, when teams start to play it safe they get burned and lose. It is the best invitation for a huge momentum swing to the other team. I'm looking forward to an aggressive attacking defense - we may get burned (and will at times) but I'd rather go down fighting. We got talent but our biggest issue is depth. Hopefully this staff will be good at developing what we have. I don't expect us to be world beaters this season but I do expect a greatly improved defense.

hawgon

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2018, 09:26:27 am »

It was the Bend Over and get ready defense with Bert.

hoglady

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2018, 09:35:16 am »

I have never been more frustrated with our defense than I have for the last 3 years.  However, I don't think (at least I hope) it was always a talent issue.  I believe the play it safe scheme we were running just makes a Heisman Hopeful out of every QB.  And then when we are out of position we gave up huge chunk plays.

I must admit though that part of my concern about the coming season is the possibility that talent has been more of the issue than I want to admit.

A lesser talented player gets by with playing "bend but don't burt" as you call it easier than playing in a very aggressive attacking defense.

If we have a significant talent issue the defense could actually be worse.  :o

On the plays we get to the QB they could look great.  But let a LB be out of position and a blitzing corner not get to the QB and we better hope we can score a lot of points.

I hope and believe we have the players.  I believe we will make havoc for the opposing QBs enough that we can rattle at least the lower tier QBs we play.  The elite ones may pick us apart.  But even that would be grand improvement.

We gave up plenty of big plays last year taking no chances.
I'd rather get burned because a blitzing corner doesn't get to the QB.

I just think a more aggressive style makes an entire defense hit harder, tackle better and play with more intensity.

Dwight_K_Shrute

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Follow @fakewallyhall.
    • Missing your favorite thread?  It's probably in Vents and Rumors
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2018, 09:49:36 am »

I also like the mix of coaches, got some seasoned vets and some young guys.  I guess Bert's fear was giving up the big play, but in the end they did that anyway.  With the aggressive D there is always that risk, but as previous poster said, it's as much about the mindset.  Be monsters, be fast, swarm to that ball, go all out and then light somebody up. 

Biggus Piggus

• Escaped Journalist
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville: The mosh pit of Razorbackland
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2018, 10:23:58 am »

Arkansas's defense looked so bad down the stretch the past couple of years because -- as the starters took wear and tear + the depth proved unusable -- the scheme began to fail, and the players knew it.

Come October and November (heck even late September), they could not do what they had been asked to do. After a while, starters began conserving energy, trying to survive.

It was a top-to-bottom coaching failure, beginning with a scheme that required too many reps to learn and was extraordinarily passive. The scheme was harder for our players to learn and execute than it was for opponents to read. Futility breeds surrender.

hawgon

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2018, 10:34:21 am »

Arkansas's defense looked so bad down the stretch the past couple of years because -- as the starters took wear and tear + the depth proved unusable -- the scheme began to fail, and the players knew it.

Come October and November (heck even late September), they could not do what they had been asked to do. After a while, starters began conserving energy, trying to survive.

It was a top-to-bottom coaching failure, beginning with a scheme that required too many reps to learn and was extraordinarily passive. The scheme was harder for our players to learn and execute than it was for opponents to read. Futility breeds surrender.

I agree with this and while some say this team never quit on Bielema, you could see a serious lack of faith in his leadership beginning at the end of the third quarter in many of our games.

Sed76

• Hogvillian
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2018, 10:53:34 am »

Makes me even more furious about the load of bull we were being shoveled this time last year. All the talk about how great the 3-4 defense would be and would solve so many problems. How the players would run through a wall for Paul Rhodes. It just blows my mind there are still folks who defend Bielema.

Con el Cerdos

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2018, 11:32:33 am »

Heath, I agree with you.  We have a good to great DC but the talent level and depth is a bit shaky, IMO.  But it's team wide, not just the defense, I believe.

The cure for what ails Razorback football is about 50 graduations over the next two years.  Then fill the vacancies, offensively and defensively, with players that are physically and mentally tough enough, and dogged (desire) enough to compete for four quarters of every game.   (nice start on the '19 class of D linemen)

Bielema did much better with Petrino's defensive holdovers and brought in some nice offensive pieces that fit his system by the start of the second year.  But by the end of the third season Bielema's team was a "dead duck," going nowhere.

Many, maybe most, won't agree, but All of Bielema's problems in years four and five were not just coaching issues.  Although, there seemed to be enough to last a lifetime.

Don't think CCM has anywhere near the talent or depth on hand (on either side of the ball) that most seem to believe.  I'm not optimistic that we will see much improvement in the W/L record until the fourth year.  Unless he just recruits lights-out the balance of this year and the 2020 class.

hawganatic

• Senior
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2018, 11:44:41 am »

Back in the Nutt Era, I thought Herring went too far with his aggressive style, and I got tired of seeing us get burned on long plays. 

That aggressive style had us #5 in the conference and #24 overall in defense in 2006. 

If Chavis can get our defense clicking anywhere close to where Herring did that year, we are going to be fine.

havok

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2018, 01:03:20 pm »

Out of position. Bad angles. Arm tackles.

For a while (Especially after the Coastal Carolina game)  I though Rhodes was intentionally coaching to fail/lose in hopes that by mid season Coach B would be fired, and "HE" would be elevated to Interm-head coach with a goal of getting the Full time Gig.  It was hard to imagine any team at any level, could appear more like a defense playing on separate playbooks, keys, signals..etc.

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2018, 01:40:05 pm »

That aggressive style had us #5 in the conference and #24 overall in defense in 2006. 

If Chavis can get our defense clicking anywhere close to where Herring did that year, we are going to be fine.

Different era of offenses especially in the SEC. 

The 3-4 is a multiyear implementation.  No way it was going to work last season.  You don't do this unless you are a coach very secure in your situation.  Rhodes had also tried this at Iowa St before being fired. 

Arkansas cycles up a good or at least competent defense every few years when it has a capable group of upperclassman and experience.  We have that this season as long as injuries don't hit too many starters. 

The cure for what ails Razorback football is about 50 graduations over the next two years.  Then fill the vacancies, offensively and defensively, with players that are physically and mentally tough enough, and dogged (desire) enough to compete for four quarters of every game.   (nice start on the '19 class of D linemen)

Not fair to say about so many players.  Give them a chance to prove themselves. 

LZH

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Tight but Loose
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2018, 02:03:42 pm »

My concern is that we aren't very fast, as a unit. So when we all-out blitz we're allowing the QB an extra second or so to find a receiver in a vacated space that we have just abandoned...in which a good QB will exploit. I expect it will take Chief some time to fix.

PorkSoda

« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2018, 02:11:43 pm »

My concern is that we aren't very fast, as a unit. So when we all-out blitz we're allowing the QB an extra second or so to find a receiver in a vacated space that we have just abandoned...in which a good QB will exploit. I expect it will take Chief some time to fix.
there is foot speed and play speed.

Chavis isn't going to be able to do anything immediately about our foot speed.  that is going to take years of recruiting.  but play speed I think he can do something there.  if he gets guys in the right spot faster to make the play, then that will could for a lot.  diagnosing the offensive play, reaction time, being in correct alignment.  all that can be improved to improve the overall speed of our defense.

any given play can be won by the player that gets to the right spot first.

Otis Kirk

• Global Moderator
  • Senior
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2018, 02:15:26 pm »

I honestly don't know how good this defense will be this year considering how bad it was past two  years (and longer for that matter), but it will be aggressive and for that I am thankful. I am so tired of watching 3 men rush the QB then the QB have time to read a novel and then find a receiver. At least they are going the right direction in philosophy on that side of the ball. I can live with the results this year because it would take a miracle worker to turn that D around in 1 year, but I think John will get there. At least it will be aggressive.

PorkSoda

« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2018, 02:19:11 pm »

I honestly don't know how good this defense will be this year considering how bad it was past two  years (and longer for that matter), but it will be aggressive and for that I am thankful. I am so tired of watching 3 men rush the QB then the QB have time to read a novel and then find a receiver. At least they are going the right direction in philosophy on that side of the ball. I can live with the results this year because it would take a miracle worker to turn that D around in 1 year, but I think John will get there. At least it will be aggressive.
I agree with that.  no reason to expect miracles, but I'd rather attack and miss than sit back and watch them run over us.

either is painful, but at least one is working towards the goal of being a better defense.

Otis Kirk

• Global Moderator
  • Senior
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2018, 03:40:33 pm »

I agree with that.  no reason to expect miracles, but I'd rather attack and miss than sit back and watch them run over us.

either is painful, but at least one is working towards the goal of being a better defense.

Exactly not like Auburn and some others didn't just run up and down field on them last two years anyway. I will never forget the Christian Kirk TD pass early last year in the A&M game. Third and long and he goes I want to say 80 yards. It was a long TD pass. I know Kirk is good, but yeah I mean they were giving up big plays playing the bend and don't break stuff. They bent and broke a lot in recent years.

hawganatic

• Senior
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2018, 03:56:07 pm »

I mean they were giving up big plays playing the bend and don't break stuff. They bent and broke a lot in recent years.

Yeah, not sure if you can call what we saw last season bend and don't break.  More like bend and get your arse run over...

ballz2thewall

« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2018, 04:45:27 pm »

LOVE the title

HOGINTENNESSEE

• Ryan Mallett: "I don't get nervous"
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2018, 04:49:56 pm »

Exactly not like Auburn and some others didn't just run up and down field on them last two years anyway. I will never forget the Christian Kirk TD pass early last year in the A&M game. Third and long and he goes I want to say 80 yards. It was a long TD pass. I know Kirk is good, but yeah I mean they were giving up big plays playing the bend and don't break stuff. They bent and broke a lot in recent years.

Yeah that was so stupid. 3rd and long and the team isn’t coached well enough understand Kirk can’t be let go

Arkansas Hog in Dallas

« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2018, 04:57:04 pm »

I really think that running a bend but don’t break defense requires either loads and loads of skill or really really good coaching. A good example of this is the New England Patriots: they in most years are average at best in terms of yards allowed but they’re often top 10 or even top 5 in points allowed. I really think bend but don’t break requires Belichick level playcalling (knowing when are the rare occasions you’re gonna be aggressive) and teaching. Anything short of that requires a Alabama vs Coastal Carolina type disparity in terms of talent. Being aggressive allows you to make mistakes, while if you make a mistake in bend but don’t break, you just broke.

« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2018, 05:41:13 pm »

I may be wrong and if so, we'll know within 6 weeks but I believe our overall talent on this team is middle of the pack SEC.  I believed we misused the talent we had for the past 6 seasons and i see no reason to change my mind at this point.  I believe poor coaching, poor leadership, leading to poor conditioning, poor mental attitude and doubt in the players minds led to poor winning percentages. 

I want to believe we are changing some mental attitudes, getting in condition, learning new football fundamentals and new schemes that give us a better chance to win or at least be competitive.  I believe we are about to see proof that what we once had was grossly overpaid  ineptness and don't really care ness.

jgphillips3

• Life is too short for bad beer.
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2018, 05:52:43 pm »

I may be wrong and if so, we'll know within 6 weeks but I believe our overall talent on this team is middle of the pack SEC.  I believed we misused the talent we had for the past 6 seasons and i see no reason to change my mind at this point.  I believe poor coaching, poor leadership, leading to poor conditioning, poor mental attitude and doubt in the players minds led to poor winning percentages. 

I want to believe we are changing some mental attitudes, getting in condition, learning new football fundamentals and new schemes that give us a better chance to win or at least be competitive.  I believe we are about to see proof that what we once had was grossly overpaid  ineptness and don't really care ness.

This is my feeling exactly.  I think we will rank somewhere between the high 30's to low 70's nationally after this year and be no worse that about 9th in conference and maybe as high as 7th in conference.  Our starting lineup is solid SEC caliber.  Depth will be an issue to start but we may have two of the best linebackers in the conference, Pulley is a legit NFL talent as is Agim.  I can't yet walk out on the limb of saying we will be a great defense but I know for a fact that we will no longer suck and will be at worse competent and middle of the pack SEC. 

Con el Cerdos

« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2018, 06:01:23 pm »

Not fair to say about so many players.  Give them a chance to prove themselves. 

Fair assessment IMO.  Fact is the Razorbacks lost several games, as a team, last year in the second half.  Either getting blown out in the third quarter or giving up late scores in the fourth quarter or overtime.  Lost a few key players to graduation and I'm not aware of any major upgrades at any position.

So, I guess I would ask what, other than the passage of time and graduation ceremonies, can transform the talent level of the Razorback team.

I do think with the excitement associated with a coaching change there will be an uptick in performance this year, just not enough to get us to 6-6 this year.  Of course JMO.

jkstock04

« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2018, 06:45:12 pm »

Makes me even more furious about the load of bull we were being shoveled this time last year. All the talk about how great the 3-4 defense would be and would solve so many problems. How the players would run through a wall for Paul Rhodes. It just blows my mind there are still folks who defend Bielema.
"Amazing coach who did a lot of great things here, but it just didn't work out in the end."

tophawg19

• Gold Hogvillian
  • She thinks my hawgs are sexy
« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2018, 09:39:08 pm »

our problem wasn't speed as much as over thinking before reacting . The middle of the field was a no man's zone where no defender was allowed to go it seems.

go hogues

• You're at an eight but we need you at a two.
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2018, 10:35:04 pm »

Not defending CBB, but outside of a very few teams, defense in general is hard to watch anymore.

liljo

« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2018, 05:31:30 pm »

If you pay somebody enough not to care, they generally won't.

And we are still paying him not to care. In this regard he's doing a hell of a job. Bet he eats a gallon of the best clam chowder every day. Rubs his big old belly after a meal, holds up a frosty mug and, with a big midwestern grin on his face, yells Go Hogs!

Then just has a few laughs.

Iwastherein1969

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Texarkana's finest adult libation a Perfect Patron
« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2018, 08:06:24 pm »

The past several years, say, since 2013 (excluding the last 6 games of the year when we had Spaight, Flowers and Philon) the Hog defense has been a 'death by a thousand cuts' defense. We sat back and waited hoping our opponent would stop themselves by poor execution and/or penalties. Well, that doesn't work, never has worked, never will work. It's basically the prevent defense Part Deux which we all know just keeps the quick scores down as much as possible but cannot win the game for you.

At least with Chavis, we don't have to watch our 'D' get worn down by plays by Aggy like, 34 blast for 5, 29 toss sweep for 9, draw play for 7, slant for 11, another draw for 10, a zone option read for 12, zone option read again with QB keeping for 5. Now every now and then we'll get burned by being overzealous on defense but at least, and I'll put this in basketball terms, we'll make the PG on the other team drive with his weak hand. At least we'll take the other team out of their comfort zone. You won't hear me once complaining about getting beaten deep as long as our defense is at least making the QB move his feet to throw it. So "SICKEM, CHIEF"

liljo

« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2018, 11:46:24 am »

The past several years, say, since 2013 (excluding the last 6 games of the year when we had Spaight, Flowers and Philon) the Hog defense has been a 'death by a thousand cuts' defense. We sat back and waited hoping our opponent would stop themselves by poor execution and/or penalties. Well, that doesn't work, never has worked, never will work. It's basically the prevent defense Part Deux which we all know just keeps the quick scores down as much as possible but cannot win the game for you.

At least with Chavis, we don't have to watch our 'D' get worn down by plays by Aggy like, 34 blast for 5, 29 toss sweep for 9, draw play for 7, slant for 11, another draw for 10, a zone option read for 12, zone option read again with QB keeping for 5. Now every now and then we'll get burned by being overzealous on defense but at least, and I'll put this in basketball terms, we'll make the PG on the other team drive with his weak hand. At least we'll take the other team out of their comfort zone. You won't hear me once complaining about getting beaten deep as long as our defense is at least making the QB move his feet to throw it. So "SICKEM, CHIEF"

I'm not running for any political office, but I approve this message.

Vantage 8 dude

« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2018, 11:57:04 am »

We gave up plenty of big plays last year taking no chances.
I'd rather get burned because a blitzing corner doesn't get to the QB.

I just think a more aggressive style makes an entire defense hit harder, tackle better and play with more intensity.
Totally agree. IF we're going to give up large number of points I'd most certainly rather do so at least trying to aggressively attack the offense. So many times over the past few years we've been passive in an attempt not to get burned. And guess what-yep, we far too often got "toasted" any way. Part of the problem IMO also went back to a lack of solid fundamentals in terms of coverage, poor angles being taken, and sloppy/horrendous tackling. We also obviously lacked the SEC level speed that is essential in keeping up with conference offenses.

HogBreath

« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2018, 01:14:17 pm »

If you pay somebody enough not to care, they generally won't.

And we are still paying him not to care. In this regard he's doing a hell of a job. Bet he eats a gallon of the best clam chowder every day. Rubs his big old belly after a meal, holds up a frosty mug and, with a big midwestern grin on his face, yells Go Hogs!

Then just has a few laughs.
And does it all while wearing a humongous, goofy looking parka of some sort.

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs and Go Mike Anderson!
« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2018, 01:21:59 pm »

And does it all while wearing a humongous, goofy looking parka of some sort.
Well, he may need one in New England.  But Arkansas in the summer ???   ::)

Hog N Bama

• BELIEVE
« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2018, 05:30:31 pm »

No kidding.
Last year’s defense caused a lot of busted flat screen TVs

DeltaBoy

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I'm Un-Reconstructed. Sic semper tyrannis
« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2018, 08:42:52 am »

Woo Pig Sooie!!!

LRHawg

• Surfin' Hogville
« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2018, 09:06:08 am »

While painful, this is a great example of what bend but don't bert gets you when you have a playmaker on the other side.

As a side note, this was another A&M game we should have won. We were ahead very late but let Kirk run a kickoff back for a TD to effectively break our will. Our special teams play has to get better.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 09:22:55 am by LRHawg »

Razor1997

• Senior
« Reply #45 on: August 15, 2018, 02:33:50 pm »

I would have been okay with the Bend But Don't Break if it didn't, you know, keep on breaking anyway.

Definitely looking forward to Chief's defenses.

PorkSoda

« Reply #46 on: August 15, 2018, 02:41:45 pm »

I would have been okay with the Bend But Don't Break if it didn't, you know, keep on breaking anyway.

Definitely looking forward to Chief's defenses.
it was more like, bend, break, and/or move out of the way.

AirWarren

• Uncommonly, Unfinished Business.
« Reply #47 on: August 15, 2018, 03:32:19 pm »

Watching coach B's Wisconsin Badgers dominate in a BIG10 title game.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas