• 9,923,158 Posts
• 399,166 Topics
• 22,879 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: WBB Italy exhibition game #1  (Read 545 times)

psycHOGlogist

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Skepticism is a virtue.
WBB Italy exhibition game #1
« on: August 09, 2018, 09:58:40 pm »

The women laced them up and played the “Deep 3 Select” team in a stifling hot gym in Rome today. The Hogs won 67-59. Here is the brief write up from wholehogsports:

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2018/aug/09/razorbacks-win-first-exhibition-italy/

There is actually of lot of footage of the game available on the WBB Facebook page and the WBB instagram account, if you are interested. The strategy for the Hogs was basically to play everyone and swap out full teams of 5-at-a-time every 5 minutes or so, so it was difficult to really get a feel for who looked best out there. Monk is the only player who logged more than 10 minutes of PT.

The next game is Monday in Florence, 6:30 pm local (Italy) time. Devin Cosper is traveling with the team, and she announced on the Insta live feed that she would once again be broadcasting the game on the Razorback WBB instragram feed (if you’re interested). I suspect that Jeri Thorpe will also be broadcasting the game live on Facebook, too.

In post-game comments, CMN seemed very pleased with what he saw. Those (along with highlights) can be viewed here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTALzHeD2xg&feature=youtu.be

logic

Re: WBB Italy exhibition game #1
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2018, 11:35:51 pm »

The women laced them up and played the “Deep 3 Select” team in a stifling hot gym in Rome today. The Hogs won 67-59. Here is the brief write up from wholehogsports:

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2018/aug/09/razorbacks-win-first-exhibition-italy/

There is actually of lot of footage of the game available on the WBB Facebook page and the WBB instagram account, if you are interested. The strategy for the Hogs was basically to play everyone and swap out full teams of 5-at-a-time every 5 minutes or so, so it was difficult to really get a feel for who looked best out there. Monk is the only player who logged more than 10 minutes of PT.

The next game is Monday in Florence, 6:30 pm local (Italy) time. Devin Cosper is traveling with the team, and she announced on the Insta live feed that she would once again be broadcasting the game on the Razorback WBB instragram feed (if you’re interested). I suspect that Jeri Thorpe will also be broadcasting the game live on Facebook, too.

In post-game comments, CMN seemed very pleased with what he saw. Those (along with highlights) can be viewed here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTALzHeD2xg&feature=youtu.be
I suspect 10 minutes is a typo for what should be 20 minutes, since 40/3 would allow each player 13 minutes.  I wish there was more video of the game.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 09:03:50 pm by logic »

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

psycHOGlogist

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Skepticism is a virtue.
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2018, 09:47:03 am »

I suspect 10 minutes is a type for what should be 20 minutes, since 40/3 would allow each player 13 minutes.  I wish there was more video of the game.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Just repeating what had been reported - you might be right. I did watch a good chunk of the game on the Insta live broadcast, and it seemed that there was a good about of subbing in and out, and most of it was as a unit (not individuals). If you listen to CMN's comments, he talks about coming up with the lineup groupings over lunch lol. Both Cosper and Ricketts (who was sitting next to Cosper as she streamed the game) commented repeatedly about how hot it was in the gym, so there were probably multiple reasons to get players in and out quickly.

Players that impressed me (offered tentatively, because I don't know if I can always tell the difference between players at the far end of the court on a phone stream): Monk (duh), Taylah (on the offensive end), Dungee, Williams, and I think it was Doumbia. I think Gaulden needs to work on her FT shooting - as much as she likes to go to the rim, she needs to be able to punish the teams who just hack her and take away her shot.

The help defense looked pretty good. The Italian team had one post player - maybe 6-2 or 6-3 - who was VERY good and for a stretch of the game couldn't seem to miss, even with some fairly decent man defense on her. When the guards started sagging back to help, though, it shut her down.

Dayton beat the same team 53-50 the night before. I think the Italian team will also face Mississippi State later this week. Will be interesting to see what that scoreline looks like, though Dayton is a pretty good team.

LadybackBBFan

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2018, 12:45:50 pm »

I suspect 10 minutes is a type for what should be 20 minutes, since 40/3 would allow each player 13 minutes.  I wish there was more video of the game.
Below is a quote from coach on his twitter account about playing time.  Monk got 15 minutes while all players got at least 10 minutes.  This is what I expected from my watching of a practice.
Mike Neighbors‏ @coachneighbors · 17h17 hours ago 

 More

Evidence of Excellence update after Game 1 in 🇮🇹                                       Overall... we were good at things we had emphasized and things we do a lot. All 15 played at least ten mins, and only Malica played more than 15.  Ciao for now!

LadybackBBFan

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2018, 12:49:35 pm »

Scoring from the first game: Williams 11 points, Monk & Dungee with 10 points, & surprise to some of you - Rokia Doumbia with 7 points.  Not a surprise to me from what I saw at the practice.

logic

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2018, 08:57:48 pm »

Below is a quote from coach on his twitter account about playing time.  Monk got 15 minutes while all players got at least 10 minutes.  This is what I expected from my watching of a practice.
That is close to all players having the identical amount of playing time. There are 200 minutes of playing time (40 minutes times 5 players) divided by 16 players equals 12.5 minutes for each player.

flippinhogmana

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Nathan J Allison - Brothers to the Bone Books
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2018, 10:09:24 pm »

the spread of playing time has a double strategic benefit.  For the next ten days or so the team doesn't really get much practice time - conditioning time - so giving everyone some playing time serves to not allow some of them to degrade in game shape.  With jet lag and other things, you never know how much 'heavy leg' you are going to get.  Spreading the playing time minimizes that.

Secondly, letting them all play is getting a look at them, checking their progress against other decent teams.  It also helps psychologically with Amber Ramirez who will have to sit all year (it helps her bond more with her teammates) and with some of the players who wont get as much playing time later in the year.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas