• 396,405 Topics
• 22,588 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Former Ark Tech player & Wake Forest Asst charged in NY killing  (Read 1608 times)

twistitup

« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 10:52:44 pm by twistitup »

#1 STUNNA

Re: Former Ark Tech player & Wake Forest Asst charged in NY killing
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2018, 08:47:21 am »

man this is crazy.. we stayed two rooms down from each other in the dorms... played a many pick up basketball games with him... didnt seem to ever have a mean bone in him.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

k.c.hawg

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2018, 10:45:42 am »

man this is crazy.. we stayed two rooms down from each other in the dorms... played a many pick up basketball games with him... didnt seem to ever have a mean bone in him.

NYC at 1 am, someone knocking on your car window. No telling what happened afterwards.....guy intoxicated, confrontation.......one punch? It's not like he shot the guy or knifed the guy. Maybe he still doesn't have a mean bone in him, maybe he felt like he was defending himself. This looks like an unfortunate incident that will probably get plea bargained. The initial charge is a misdemeanor.

#hammerdown

• Varsity
  • Bring Back the Chrome Dome
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2018, 10:56:46 am »

Sure seems like they charged the wrong guy from that article.

Sounds like the drunk was aggressive and he simply defended himself with what would typically have been a non-lethal response.

twistitup

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2018, 10:58:31 am »

The drunk guy had already punched a man that came outside of his house to see what the noise was...so the drunk guy was aggressive.

Life can change so quickly...one minute you are a coach at WF, the next you are in the news accused of killing a man.

Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter

• President and life time member of the Hobby Shop.
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • SPORTS HAS NEVER BEEN SO UGLY!
    • facebook.com/uglyuncle.
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2018, 11:03:00 am »

So tragic for all involved.

As you say Twist...life can change so quickly.

God be with them all.

DeltaBoy

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I'm Un-Reconstructed. Sic semper tyrannis
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2018, 11:46:51 am »

Prayers sent.

MakingPlays

• Varsity
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2018, 12:11:16 pm »

NYC at 1 am, someone knocking on your car window. No telling what happened afterwards.....guy intoxicated, confrontation.......one punch? It's not like he shot the guy or knifed the guy. Maybe he still doesn't have a mean bone in him, maybe he felt like he was defending himself. This looks like an unfortunate incident that will probably get plea bargained. The initial charge is a misdemeanor.

That's what I was thinking, is that not self-defense?  Late night someone acting weird knocking on your car window, my first thoughts would be he's trying to rob me, and I would defend myself as well.  It's unfortunate because at the very least best case scenario this is going to cost him his career, no way Wake Forest is going to hold on to him or any other school is going to touch him.

k.c.hawg

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2018, 01:21:45 pm »

That's what I was thinking, is that not self-defense?  Late night someone acting weird knocking on your car window, my first thoughts would be he's trying to rob me, and I would defend myself as well.  It's unfortunate because at the very least best case scenario this is going to cost him his career, no way Wake Forest is going to hold on to him or any other school is going to touch him.

I would hope they would let this play out. It would not surprise me if this get's dropped. 3rd degree assault in New York is a misdemeanor with a maximum punishment of 1 year in jail. First offense in New York city rarely resulting in any jail time. If the circumstances around this prove to be true, drunk, punched another person, knocked on dudes window, verbal confrontation.....I could see a prosecutor refusing to prosecute it. Throwing a punch as a self defense mechanism is the absolute least lethal thing a person can possibly do.

bjl

• Varsity
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2018, 02:10:54 pm »

It could get thrown out.  However, leaving the scene without calling paramedics, that's going to hurt him.  He knew the guy was hurt, and bad enough that he was choking on his own blood.  He lifted the guy up, and propped him against something, then left.  Never works in your favor.

hawgball40

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2018, 10:44:06 am »

It could get thrown out.  However, leaving the scene without calling paramedics, that's going to hurt him.  He knew the guy was hurt, and bad enough that he was choking on his own blood.  He lifted the guy up, and propped him against something, then left.  Never works in your favor.
i would think the opinions on that would be a mixed bag really. He probably thought the guy was drunk and just needed to sleep it off. that sort of explains leaving the scene. I mean, a guy in his prominent position wouldn't leave someone to die like that. Negligence and bad judgement at worst, i don't think you can prove criminal intent

twistitup

k.c.hawg

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2018, 03:48:09 pm »

If these statements prove to be true, it will be an injustice if this guy does a minute of time. I doubt that he will unless they upgrade the current charge.

Szabo, 35, was a Florida resident in town for his stepsisterís wedding on Saturday. According to reports, he had left his brotherís hotel room, possibly in a state of intoxication, and was banging on cars in search of an Uber ride he had ordered.

The New York Post cited law enforcement sources in reporting that a local resident confronted Szabo about the noise he was making, and that Szabo hit that person in the face. Jones, said to have been parked in an SUV that Szabo knocked on, got out and punched him, after which Szabo was taken to a hospital, only to die of his injuries on Tuesday.

hawgball40

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2018, 03:38:24 pm »

i think we need to wait for the facts to come out first before we decide one way or another here. As with any case, it hinges on whether or not Jones was acting in self defense or defense of the person Szabo allegedly punched. If he was, then his actions are understandable. If a drunk is causing problems and punches someone and you punch him, that's pretty common and understandable. but if not, well why did Jones punch him?

AlmaHog2011

• Hogvillian
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2018, 07:10:12 pm »

I see some real problems. He got out followed the drunk guy and knocked him out? Where are you getting that the guy tried to punch Jones?
If it was a squared up fight thats one thing. If he followed him he wasn't a threat. It's NY the guy will not be charged.

Curious where you can read that the guy punched at Jones?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas