• 396,405 Topics
• 22,588 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Some thoughts on the QBs  (Read 9537 times)

hawginbigd1

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Re: Some thoughts on the QBs
« Reply #50 on: August 09, 2018, 08:10:10 pm »

Six days in it's pretty clear to me that Kelley and Storey are way in front of the other QBs. Yes, we've only seen them in the first few minutes of each workout but you can see a difference. No question, Storey has narrowed the gap with Kelley. He's throwing the ball much better than a season ago but Kelley looks quicker and more mobile than last season having dropped almost 20 pounds.

I still say you can't overlook the fact that Kelley has played against South Carolina, Alabama, Auburn, Ole Miss & LSU. You can't minimize that experience even if Arkansas only won one of those games.

Hyatt is quicker than either of the two freshmen and he's throwing the ball somewhat better. Reading the defense and making quick decisions is an issue with Nolan and Jones. They both got some live work 11 on 11 today and both mostly looked downfield and quickly tucked and ran with the ball. Sort of like what we used to see with Rafe Peavey.

My gut reaction right now is that neither of them will ever start at Arkansas but I've been known to be wrong plenty of times. I could see Noland going mostly to baseball. Jones is so short you can hardly see him over the O-line from the endzone angle.

To me the Jefferson kid is more in line with what Morris is looking for in a future QB and I would seriously doubt that he will start next year.

I look for Kelley or Storey to lead this offense for the next two seasons and I think they will perform better than some on this board think is possible.

Feel free to push back on this all you want. It's just my opinion and I certainly don't think I'm always right. I also realize that players can improve a lot. Storey certainly has.
Thanks Mike, I have thought all along they were really giving Ty every opportunity to win the job while also using him as a tool to get more out of CK, who they are pretty certain is the guy.

I think Hyatt may never get the opportunity to shine or he may be a 5th year starter, but I think he is loaded with potential that may never get realized here.

I have thought all along that Noland will never play meaningful snaps, and that by year 2 he is no longer a footballer. One of the reasons I wanted Bohannon also, but who knows maybe Jefferson is better. In other words Noland isn't Jameis Winston, it was never going to work out here.
JSJ is 5'9" that's all that needs to be said, but sure am glad he's here.

Mike Irwin

« Reply #51 on: August 09, 2018, 08:10:38 pm »

seems a little quick to write the freshmen off after only a few practices
It certainly possible but over the years I've seen freshmen QBs who looked more polished than these two early on. Stoerner comes to mind. He didn't start as a freshman but there was something about him that stood out. Matt Jones was such a bad practice player that you couldn't tell until he got on the field but when he did it was obvious that he was a special talent. Brad Taylor was another rookie who looked pretty good from day one. Quinn Grovey too.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

hogcards

• The Glimmer Twins
« Reply #52 on: August 09, 2018, 08:17:45 pm »

Thanks Mike.

From North Carolina, all these insights are incredibly helpful.

I had no idea that's where you're at. What part?

Mike Irwin

« Reply #53 on: August 09, 2018, 08:21:10 pm »

The Oline thing is the big question, isn't it? I'm hopeful there.
We're not going to know about that until they play somebody but I've been surprised by the blocking the past two days. Today we got to see a three level drill that featured an O-Lineman, a tight end and a receiver, each blocking for a running back who tried to make it past a D-lineman, a linebacker and a D-Back. The blocking up front was impressive with good technique. Watching them work as a group I am impressed with the way they move. I was never a fan of the foot-to-foot, shoulder-to-shoulder splits Bielema liked. Far to often it looked like a jammed up mess.

Once they hit the SEC it's entirely possible that defenses like Alabama and Auburn will whip them one-on-one no matter how well they move. But for now they look pretty good in these live tackling drills.

PorkSoda

« Reply #54 on: August 09, 2018, 08:25:51 pm »

The Oline thing is the big question, isn't it? I'm hopeful there.
which is why I lean to CK.  we are going to need a guy that can take a hit and get back up.

lets just hope he doesn't take a tyler wilson kind of beating though.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Nadine Coyle shakin it for the Hogs!!!!
« Reply #55 on: August 09, 2018, 08:31:43 pm »

which is why I lean to CK.  we are going to need a guy that can take a hit and get back up.

QB's aren't going to have to take as many hits this year as in the past, certainly not standing like a statue in the pocket. Maybe running the ball, yes. And in that regard I agree, Kelly probably stands a chance to be stronger in terms of delivering blows as opposed to receiving them. But this offense is all about being able to read and execute as a QB, first and foremost. None of us know who that guy is going to be at this point, anyway.

wachhog

« Reply #56 on: August 09, 2018, 08:38:06 pm »

Thanks Mike.

From North Carolina, all these insights are incredibly helpful.
From Lake Norman, I agree.

Porked Tongue

• Global Moderator
  • Moderator Supremacist
« Reply #57 on: August 09, 2018, 08:50:44 pm »

We're not going to know about that until they play somebody but I've been surprised by the blocking the past two days. Today we got to see a three level drill that featured an O-Lineman, a tight end and a receiver, each blocking for a running back who tried to make it past a D-lineman, a linebacker and a D-Back. The blocking up front was impressive with good technique. Watching them work as a group I am impressed with the way they move. I was never a fan of the foot-to-foot, shoulder-to-shoulder splits Bielema liked. Far to often it looked like a jammed up mess.

Once they hit the SEC it's entirely possible that defenses like Alabama and Auburn will whip them one-on-one no matter how well they move. But for now they look pretty good in these live tackling drills.
Depth at the position is my deepest concern with the OL.

I also am getting a good vibe on overall coaching with them, but there are so many obstacles to overcome and head count is a doozy.

Hogs-n-Roses

• Coming to a Stadium Near You!
« Reply #58 on: August 09, 2018, 09:19:20 pm »

Thx,great info.

liljo

« Reply #59 on: August 09, 2018, 09:23:33 pm »

Will Storey be the starter, or will Kelley be the starter?

Yes. At some point this season, each of these guys will start. It's kind of an Arkansas-SECw thing.

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs and Go Mike Anderson!
« Reply #60 on: August 10, 2018, 12:17:52 am »

They can't get to his head!  He tall!

LZH

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Tight but Loose
« Reply #61 on: August 10, 2018, 03:27:46 am »

I remember my first time on the internet.

Ha! 😃

Biggus Piggus

• Escaped Journalist
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville: The mosh pit of Razorbackland
« Reply #62 on: August 10, 2018, 10:53:53 am »

I like that we're going into the season with much better conditioning and a coaching staff that's very familiar with teaching this offense. Big upgrades.

GrizzlyRider07

« Reply #63 on: August 10, 2018, 11:35:11 am »

Are they practicing today?

Mike Irwin

« Reply #64 on: August 10, 2018, 11:56:45 am »

Are they practicing today?
Maybe some light conditioning. They're getting ready for tomrrow's scrimmage

Con el Cerdos

« Reply #65 on: August 10, 2018, 12:09:17 pm »

Definitely, it's a great rule.  I think it benefits teams weak on depth like we are right now.  Can plug some young guys in either right away to test them out and see if they can contribute or later in the season if injuries start to mount and not waste an entire year of eligibility because they played in a few games.  It's one of the best rules they have passed in years.

I think this will become a "coaching habit" if the new redshirt rule sticks and playing them late helps the team win.  Playing freshmen the last four games of the year (and still preserve redshirt status) will be invaluable in getting them ready for the next year.

Con el Cerdos

« Reply #66 on: August 10, 2018, 12:24:19 pm »

Neither was (am) I.  Most of the opposing SEC defenses loved going against Bielema's offense because for the most part as you say, they just jammed it up.

I still find it difficult to accept, as a Razorback fan, we wasted another five years.

GrizzlyRider07

« Reply #67 on: August 10, 2018, 01:26:10 pm »

Maybe some light conditioning. They're getting ready for tomrrow's scrimmage

Thanks Mike. Will you guys be allowed in to see it or is it closed even for you guys as well?

ballz2thewall

• All-American Hogvillian
« Reply #68 on: August 10, 2018, 03:59:05 pm »

thanks much for that, mike. all good to know and chew on...

daBoar

« Reply #69 on: August 10, 2018, 04:16:27 pm »

I might have overstated it, but we will need the QB to make more big plays than the norm due to a talent deficiency overall.  I'm not expecting our OL to hold up and we need a playmaker.
Morris needs wins to "prove" that his philosophy is working at Arkansas. In my opinion, CK gives the Hogs the greatest chance to win games in 2018.  He's not the prototypical option QB, but he's experienced, has lost tremendous weight, has SEC experience, and throws a tight ball. So, I think he's the guy for 2018.  I saw Storey's start two years ago at Auburn; it was abysmal.  No other QB is ready for the SEC.  I think Nolan has the talent, but I also envision him on the mound in 2019.

Pigstie

« Reply #70 on: August 10, 2018, 04:46:59 pm »

Six days in it's pretty clear to me that Kelley and Storey are way in front of the other QBs. Yes, we've only seen them in the first few minutes of each workout but you can see a difference. No question, Storey has narrowed the gap with Kelley. He's throwing the ball much better than a season ago but Kelley looks quicker and more mobile than last season having dropped almost 20 pounds.

I still say you can't overlook the fact that Kelley has played against South Carolina, Alabama, Auburn, Ole Miss & LSU. You can't minimize that experience even if Arkansas only won one of those games.

Hyatt is quicker than either of the two freshmen and he's throwing the ball somewhat better. Reading the defense and making quick decisions is an issue with Nolan and Jones. They both got some live work 11 on 11 today and both mostly looked downfield and quickly tucked and ran with the ball. Sort of like what we used to see with Rafe Peavey.

My gut reaction right now is that neither of them will ever start at Arkansas but I've been known to be wrong plenty of times. I could see Noland going mostly to baseball. Jones is so short you can hardly see him over the O-line from the endzone angle.

To me the Jefferson kid is more in line with what Morris is looking for in a future QB and I would seriously doubt that he will start next year.

I look for Kelley or Storey to lead this offense for the next two seasons and I think they will perform better than some on this board think is possible.

Feel free to push back on this all you want. It's just my opinion and I certainly don't think I'm always right. I also realize that players can improve a lot. Storey certainly has.
Interesting how media opinions are from one extreme to the other. Trey Biddy predicts Noland will be starting before the end of this season. Don't see how anyone could predict that before seeing him play a college snap.

Mike Irwin

« Reply #71 on: August 10, 2018, 05:42:51 pm »

Thanks Mike. Will you guys be allowed in to see it or is it closed even for you guys as well?
No, it's completely closed.

HoggusMaximus

« Reply #72 on: August 10, 2018, 06:44:55 pm »

Jefferson will hopefully add a scramble threat that morris is looking for. I just dont see Kelley being a consistantly threat to run the ball with the qb run/reads

JIHawg

« Reply #73 on: August 10, 2018, 06:57:42 pm »

Jefferson will hopefully add a scramble threat that morris is looking for. I just dont see Kelley being a consistantly threat to run the ball with the qb run/reads

Defenses will have to account for Kelley.  They're not going to stop him with 215 pound linebackers or 200 pound cornerbacks and safeties, not when we just need 2 to 3 yards for a first.

HogCzar1

« Reply #74 on: August 10, 2018, 07:12:37 pm »

Great info. It appears that the 2 most experienced QB’s are far ahead. However, the only thing that might differentiate these guys is who actually gets it done in the game. Far different situations when the lights and TV cameras are on.

HOGINTENNESSEE

• Ryan Mallett: "I don't get nervous"
« Reply #75 on: August 10, 2018, 10:20:24 pm »

I think next year we maybe looking at a Grad Transfer QB incoming

Superhog1959

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #76 on: August 11, 2018, 08:49:40 am »

I think Cole will start. If Ty can contribute something (different) successfully we might see 2 QBs in games depending on the situation. If the competition for starter is that close, its either a good sign or a really bad one. OL play will make the biggest difference. OL plays good, QBs have some success maybe gain confidence. OL really bad, same thing happens that happened to AA last year.

Mike Irwin

« Reply #77 on: August 11, 2018, 05:47:29 pm »

Morris let the two freshman and Daulton Hyatt scrimmage with live tackling. He said they are the better runners and he wanted to see how they perform under pressure. I got the clear impression that he's going to play one of those guys this season. Not as the starter but to provide a different dimension to the offense from time to time in a game.  I figure it'll be Hyatt because he looks quicker than the other two but that is only a guess.

ArkansasA30

• Walk-On
« Reply #78 on: August 11, 2018, 06:12:24 pm »

I think that kind of comment is as absurd as they come. Just take a moment to think about whose in line to start this season. Right now, it seems like Cole Kelley or Ty Storey will start game one. Most likely, both players will get multiple drives within our first couple non-conference games. I guess Mike has forgotten how bad Storey was his first couple years? Most people in the media were quick to say Storey was not even a power 5 quarterback, let alone a future starter, and here we are. We're 3 weeks away from the start of the season and Ty Storey has more than a punchers chance to start week one.

I personally never think Jones will start, but I'm not going to knock a true freshman because of a bad first scrimmage (that was live) and a few drills. Tua Tagovailoa was horrible in some of his first scrimmages at Alabama in practice according to the media. However, how many true freshman can come in and look promising in their very first scrimmage. It's hard to write off a true freshman this early, when a guy whose possibly starting this season, was completely horrendous his freshman year in Storey. Granted, Storey was behind the Allen brothers, but that doesn't take away from the fact he was horrible early on. And look where he is now.

Darren DeLoach (semohawg)

« Reply #79 on: August 11, 2018, 06:17:59 pm »

Lol....dude. It's called an OPINION.

Mike Irwin

« Reply #80 on: August 11, 2018, 07:19:42 pm »

I think that kind of comment is as absurd as they come. Just take a moment to think about whose in line to start this season. Right now, it seems like Cole Kelley or Ty Storey will start game one. Most likely, both players will get multiple drives within our first couple non-conference games. I guess Mike has forgotten how bad Storey was his first couple years? Most people in the media were quick to say Storey was not even a power 5 quarterback, let alone a future starter, and here we are. We're 3 weeks away from the start of the season and Ty Storey has more than a punchers chance to start week one.

I personally never think Jones will start, but I'm not going to knock a true freshman because of a bad first scrimmage (that was live) and a few drills. Tua Tagovailoa was horrible in some of his first scrimmages at Alabama in practice according to the media. However, how many true freshman can come in and look promising in their very first scrimmage. It's hard to write off a true freshman this early, when a guy whose possibly starting this season, was completely horrendous his freshman year in Storey. Granted, Storey was behind the Allen brothers, but that doesn't take away from the fact he was horrible early on. And look where he is now.
You certainly could be right because as I posted after today's scrimmage Morris gave the impression that he wants to give playing time this season to at least one quarterback who is a running threat. If that happens it will be either Hyatt or one of the two freshman. Part of the issue here is that there is a whole lot we don't see. I had a guy today who saw the scrimmage describe John Stephen Jones as sort of a midget Johnny Manzel. He said the kid's got good escapability with the holes created by the wider splits in this offense.

Again what I wrote was an opinion from watching the freshmen in the first few days. I would be happy to be wrong about both of them.

ArkansasA30

• Walk-On
« Reply #81 on: August 11, 2018, 07:33:11 pm »

You certainly could be right because as I posted after today's scrimmage Morris gave the impression that he wants to give playing time this season to at least one quarterback who is a running threat. If that happens it will be either Hyatt or one of the two freshman. Part of the issue here is that there is a whole lot we don't see. I had a guy today who saw the scrimmage describe John Stephen Jones as sort of a midget Johnny Manzel. He said the kid's got good escapability with the holes created by the wider splits in this offense.

Again what I wrote was an opinion from watching the freshmen in the first few days. I would be happy to be wrong about both of them.

I absolutely respect your opinion. Morris and Craddock both have said on multiple occasions they know how to develop QB's. I would sure hope so if they are coaching at this level. With that being said, no first scrimmage that is live should give anyone THAT hunch feeling about any QB. Especially a TRUE FRESHMAN. I'm not disagreeing with anything you've said. I don't think anyone in this world, including members of the coaching staff, have the slightest hunch about the future of Noland or Jones based off their very first live scrimmage and some drills. I'm sure both of those QB's were incredibly nervous today and were thinking at 100mph.

Porked Tongue

• Global Moderator
  • Moderator Supremacist
« Reply #82 on: August 11, 2018, 07:35:56 pm »

describe John Stephen Jones as sort of a midget Johnny Manzel. He said the kid's got good escapability with the holes created by the wider splits in this offense.
Not picking at you, but I found this funny.  They are maybe an inch+ apart in height,  Manziel was under 6 ft at the combine.

I suspect that Jones will be the always popular 2nd string QB in a few years.

PorkSoda

« Reply #83 on: August 11, 2018, 07:37:35 pm »

I think that kind of comment is as absurd as they come.
not really.  I had that gut reaction about a lot of 5th stringers that never saw the field.  its not exactly a leap to suggest that the guys at the bottom of the depth chart might not ever see the field.

maybe he will surprise, but we recruit new QB's ever year.  onely one or 2 will ever see the field.

ArkansasA30

• Walk-On
« Reply #84 on: August 11, 2018, 07:44:40 pm »

not really.  I had that gut reaction about a lot of 5th stringers that never saw the field.  its not exactly a leap to suggest that the guys at the bottom of the depth chart might not ever see the field.

maybe he will surprise, but we recruit new QB's ever year.  onely one or 2 will ever see the field.

Many true freshman never see the field in their first season. Out of all the power 5 teams, maybe 7-8 will play a true freshman this season at QB. That includes garbage time. You want to know someone who was written off more than anyone his first couple years? It's the QB who was a "5th stringer" and he started the scrimmage today with the 1s. If Storey has a chance at starting, any person on this roster can start one day. 

hawgon

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #85 on: August 11, 2018, 08:00:10 pm »

I think in reality that Jones is about 5’8. Can you imagine how hard it will be for a defensive lineman to find that guy?  He is literally going to be able to hide behind his linemen and then pop out of nowhere.  I don’t know if he will ever be any good, but I can just see how he could really be hard for those guys to spot.

Mike Irwin

« Reply #86 on: August 11, 2018, 08:14:44 pm »

Not picking at you, but I found this funny.  They are maybe an inch+ apart in height,  Manziel was under 6 ft at the combine.

I promise you more than an inch separates those two guys. Jones looks like he's about 5-7, 5-8. If Manziel is under six feet it's not by much.

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #87 on: August 11, 2018, 08:24:29 pm »

With the new redshit rules, why not let all of them get a few reps at various points in the season?

Porked Tongue

• Global Moderator
  • Moderator Supremacist
« Reply #88 on: August 11, 2018, 08:25:55 pm »

I promise you more than an inch separates those two guys. Jones looks like he's about 5-7, 5-8. If Manziel is under six feet it's not by much.
I'll trust you on Jones as I have never stood by him.  The roster says 5'11" and I trusted that.

Thanks for setting me straight. :)

Porked Tongue

• Global Moderator
  • Moderator Supremacist
« Reply #89 on: August 11, 2018, 08:26:18 pm »

With the new redshit rules, why not let all of them get a few reps at various points in the season?
Why you gotta cuss like that?

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #90 on: August 11, 2018, 08:28:36 pm »

Why you gotta cuss like that?
It was a test.   8)

Großer Kriegschwein

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Is it football season yet?
« Reply #91 on: August 11, 2018, 08:49:43 pm »

I'll trust you on Jones as I have never stood by him.  The roster says 5'11" and I trusted that.

Thanks for setting me straight. :)

He isn't 5'11"

Manziel is pretty daggum close to 6'0". Maybe off by 1/4 inch or so. I was taller than him, but not by much.

1highhog

• Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat.
« Reply #92 on: August 11, 2018, 09:29:28 pm »

He isn't 5'11"

Manziel is pretty daggum close to 6'0". Maybe off by 1/4 inch or so. I was taller than him, but not by much.

Manziel is not close to 6' tall, unless you consider 5'10" close,,,.  I've been side by side to him, and I'm 6' 1/2".   I'm 3 inches taller than he is. 

ArkansasA30

• Walk-On
« Reply #93 on: August 11, 2018, 09:45:38 pm »

Manziel is not close to 6' tall, unless you consider 5'10" close,,,.  I've been side by side to him, and I'm 6' 1/2".   I'm 3 inches taller than he is.

Is 5' 11 3/4" not close to 6'? That was his height at the combine without shoes.

PossumFan

• Senior
« Reply #94 on: August 11, 2018, 09:46:56 pm »

I have it on good authority Jones is 4-feet-11.

greasy_corner

« Reply #95 on: August 11, 2018, 09:58:54 pm »

I have it on good authority Jones is 4-feet-11.

I stood back-to-back with him, and no way he's 4'11".  I'm only 5'.  Our mom's told us I was taller. 

It's laughable listening to the guys measuring up Manziel and Jones in this thread, ain't it? 

mbcarnett

« Reply #96 on: August 11, 2018, 10:03:37 pm »

Does anyone think that if we could have signed Gerry Bohanon last year that he could have been in position to start? I know that’s the past but just curious with him being a dual threat qb

Tick Hog

• Hogville.net
« Reply #97 on: August 11, 2018, 10:14:19 pm »

Does anyone think that if we could have signed Gerry Bohanon last year that he could have been in position to start? I know that’s the past but just curious with him being a dual threat qb
I don’t think so man. I see C Morris’s QB’s about like I did BP’s. They’re not just game managers, they more then less are the reason the Offense goes or not. I also think it will take Jefferson a year as well.

Paul

« Reply #98 on: August 11, 2018, 10:16:14 pm »

Thanks for your honesty Mike.

PigPusher

• Just another day as a Hog!!!
« Reply #99 on: August 12, 2018, 12:32:46 am »

A couple of weeks ago read a little ditty on hurry up spread formations and shorter Qbs. The author made the point that when the shorter Qb is in the pocket attempting to see receivers he will be at a disadvantage. Tho let him side slip sideways out of the pocket and go free range and he is immediately just as effective as the taller Qb. Sees as soon as he slips sideways the area in front of him is less dense and with him moving his field of vision is vastly improved.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas