• 9,923,263 Posts
• 399,168 Topics
• 22,881 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Some thoughts on the QBs  (Read 9978 times)

Mike Irwin

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Some thoughts on the QBs
« on: August 09, 2018, 02:16:05 pm »

Six days in it's pretty clear to me that Kelley and Storey are way in front of the other QBs. Yes, we've only seen them in the first few minutes of each workout but you can see a difference. No question, Storey has narrowed the gap with Kelley. He's throwing the ball much better than a season ago but Kelley looks quicker and more mobile than last season having dropped almost 20 pounds.

I still say you can't overlook the fact that Kelley has played against South Carolina, Alabama, Auburn, Ole Miss & LSU. You can't minimize that experience even if Arkansas only won one of those games.

Hyatt is quicker than either of the two freshmen and he's throwing the ball somewhat better. Reading the defense and making quick decisions is an issue with Nolan and Jones. They both got some live work 11 on 11 today and both mostly looked downfield and quickly tucked and ran with the ball. Sort of like what we used to see with Rafe Peavey.

My gut reaction right now is that neither of them will ever start at Arkansas but I've been known to be wrong plenty of times. I could see Noland going mostly to baseball. Jones is so short you can hardly see him over the O-line from the endzone angle.

To me the Jefferson kid is more in line with what Morris is looking for in a future QB and I would seriously doubt that he will start next year.

I look for Kelley or Storey to lead this offense for the next two seasons and I think they will perform better than some on this board think is possible.

Feel free to push back on this all you want. It's just my opinion and I certainly don't think I'm always right. I also realize that players can improve a lot. Storey certainly has.

Lanny

Re: Some thoughts on the QBs
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2018, 02:18:36 pm »

Good update, this post settles some questions I had.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

hogsfan31

• Senior
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2018, 02:20:26 pm »

Out of Storey and Kelley, who seems to move the offense down the field better so far? Does one know the offense and reads better than the other?

Dwight_K_Shrute

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Follow @fakewallyhall.
    • Missing your favorite thread?  It's probably in Vents and Rumors
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2018, 02:21:29 pm »

I'm a Kelley lean just because I think he has better nickname potential.  I'm toying with the idea of pushing Steamboat as his full time monicker.

Mike Irwin

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2018, 02:23:17 pm »

Out of Storey and Kelley, who seems to move the offense down the field better so far? Does one know the offense and reads better than the other?
They look about the same right now. Kelley's maybe a little bit better throwing over the middle probably because he can see better with his height.

Kevin

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Trust in the Lord with all your heart
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2018, 02:23:32 pm »

It would not bother me one bit for Noland to go to baseball only.

The hogs are closer to a national title in baseball than football

riccoar

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Serving Hogville since 11-08-03
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2018, 02:28:22 pm »

You said Kelley has dropped 20.  Would Morris like him even lighter or was that the goal he was shooting for?

LAHogKing

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2018, 02:30:30 pm »

You said Kelley has dropped 20.  Would Morris like him even lighter or was that the goal he was shooting for?
He should cut down to 245 or 240.

010HogFan

• All-American Hogvillian
  • I Got Dat Wood Coach
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2018, 02:32:19 pm »

To me the Jefferson kid is more in line with what Morris is looking for in a future QB and I would seriously doubt that he will start next year.

Did you mean to say that you wouldn't seriously doubt that he will start next year? Cause I think he will.

Mike Irwin

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2018, 02:32:36 pm »

I think they're fine with 255. Even at 270 plus he never looked fat. Kelley is solid. You can see that when cornerbacks bounce off of him. From what I've heard the coaches were mostly impressed with the fact that they told him to lose weight and he did. Cole is a very laid back guy. They want to see more fire and commitment from of him.

hogsfan31

• Senior
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2018, 02:34:25 pm »

Thanks for the info Mike!

Mike Irwin

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2018, 02:36:31 pm »

Did you mean to say that you wouldn't seriously doubt that he will start next year? Cause I think he will.
Take "seriously" out of it. I doubt that a true freshman will come in and beat out upperclassmen who have SEC game experience in Morris' offense. That would change, of course if they both stink in this offense.

010HogFan

• I Got Dat Wood Coach
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2018, 02:55:15 pm »

Take "seriously" out of it. I doubt that a true freshman will come in and beat out upperclassmen who have SEC game experience in Morris' offense. That would change, of course if they both stink in this offense.

Seems fair. He could always be the transcendent freshman that comes in and wows everyone enough to win the job. He certainly looks talented enough to get a look.

Steef

• Idylically living in the Valley of the Cats
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2018, 02:59:04 pm »

Thanks Mike.

From North Carolina, all these insights are incredibly helpful.

tolerati

• Senior
  • If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball.
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2018, 03:08:45 pm »

Thanks, Mike. I appreciate your insights.

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs and Go Mike Anderson!
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2018, 03:14:53 pm »

I'm a Kelley lean just because I think he has better nickname potential.  I'm toying with the idea of pushing Steamboat as his full time monicker.
I like the Cole Train.

Thanks Mike.

From North Carolina, all these insights are incredibly helpful.
Interesting and helpful if you're standing on Razorback Road.

redleg

• Senior
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2018, 03:17:41 pm »

My gut predictions:
1. Cole Kelley is the starter for the Hogs.
2. Ty Storey will transfer to Arkansas Tech in January.
3. Connor Nolan will end up on a baseball scholie, and will quit the football team to focus on pitching.
4. John Stephen Jones will run the scout team offense for four years, OR, he will transfer to a small school back in the Dallas area.
5. Daulton Hyatt will be the backup in 2019, KJ Jefferson will redshirt, Kelley will leave after this redshirt junior season, and Jefferson will be the starter in 2020, backed up by Hyatt and hopefully Criswell.

010HogFan

• I Got Dat Wood Coach
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2018, 03:18:30 pm »

I like the Cole Train.
Interesting and helpful if you're standing on Razorback Road.

Thicc Mallett is still the best CK nickname

imtad16

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2018, 03:22:30 pm »

Six days in it's pretty clear to me that Kelley and Storey are way in front of the other QBs. Yes, we've only seen them in the first few minutes of each workout but you can see a difference. No question, Storey has narrowed the gap with Kelley. He's throwing the ball much better than a season ago but Kelley looks quicker and more mobile than last season having dropped almost 20 pounds.

I still say you can't overlook the fact that Kelley has played against South Carolina, Alabama, Auburn, Ole Miss & LSU. You can't minimize that experience even if Arkansas only won one of those games.

Hyatt is quicker than either of the two freshmen and he's throwing the ball somewhat better. Reading the defense and making quick decisions is an issue with Nolan and Jones. They both got some live work 11 on 11 today and both mostly looked downfield and quickly tucked and ran with the ball. Sort of like what we used to see with Rafe Peavey.

My gut reaction right now is that neither of them will ever start at Arkansas but I've been known to be wrong plenty of times. I could see Noland going mostly to baseball. Jones is so short you can hardly see him over the O-line from the endzone angle.

I look for Kelley or Storey to lead this offense for the next two seasons and I think they will perform better than some on this board think is possible.

Feel free to push back on this all you want. It's just my opinion and I certainly don't think I'm always right. I also realize that players can improve a lot. Storey certainly has.

Good info. Thanks Mike.

What is your sense on how much of the offense we will actually function in this season? Like what percentage of CM's offense do you think we will get into?

hawgwash

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2018, 03:28:09 pm »

Mike, do we know when CM will name a starter?

Mike Irwin

« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2018, 03:29:00 pm »

Good info. Thanks Mike.

What is your sense on how much of the offense we will actually function in this season? Like what percentage of CM's offense do you think we will get into?
Morris will probably address that at some point. So far he hasn't. I would have no way of knowing since I've never seen his complete play book and I don't see what they do beyond the first 20 minutes of practice.

Mike Irwin

« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2018, 03:31:36 pm »

Mike, do we know when CM will name a starter?
In answer to a question he said it was possible one of the QBs could separate himself in Saturday's scrimmage but he didn't say that with much conviction. His history at Clemson and SMU is that he will play more than one QB and is not opposed to making a change during the season. 

phadedhawg

« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2018, 03:32:12 pm »

Earlier I said Kelley bc of experience but now I'm not so certain.  Storey has looked fairly sharp in what little I've seen in practice videos.  I imagine if Kelley struggles, Storey will get his chance.

hawgwash

« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2018, 03:33:20 pm »

In answer to a question he said it was possible one of the QBs could separate himself in Saturday's scrimmage but he didn't say that with much conviction. His history at Clemson and SMU is that he will play more than one QB and is not opposed to making a change during the season. 
That's helpful, thanks.

imtad16

« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2018, 03:45:27 pm »

Morris will probably address that at some point. So far he hasn't. I would have no way of knowing since I've never seen his complete play book and I don't see what they do beyond the first 20 minutes of practice.

Gotchya. That makes sense. I'm really interested to see how much is run in this first season.

OS2 (SW) Razor Back

« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2018, 03:54:42 pm »

Mount Kelley

woodrow hog call

« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2018, 04:15:29 pm »

The new red shirt rule might play into how things shake out with the QB's too. A lot more options now on how you distribute the playing time, without costing a kid a  year eligibility.

hogfanfish

« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2018, 04:23:57 pm »

Jones will be a four year letterman holding for PK

Hogdomer

« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2018, 04:28:07 pm »

The new red shirt rule might play into how things shake out with the QB's too. A lot more options now on how you distribute the playing time, without costing a kid a  year eligibility.

There is no doubt Noland will play with the new rule.  How much depends on a lot of factors, of course, but he will play.

Dwight_K_Shrute

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Follow @fakewallyhall.
    • Missing your favorite thread?  It's probably in Vents and Rumors
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2018, 04:39:42 pm »

Definitely, it's a great rule.  I think it benefits teams weak on depth like we are right now.  Can plug some young guys in either right away to test them out and see if they can contribute or later in the season if injuries start to mount and not waste an entire year of eligibility because they played in a few games.  It's one of the best rules they have passed in years.

Porked Tongue

« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2018, 04:44:22 pm »

If we are Bama, we might could go with Storey.

But we need a bit of a high risk and high reward player to win when most think we can't and I think that's CK.

« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2018, 05:02:54 pm »

How bout Machine Gun Kelley.

Kelley will be forced to get that 250 plus pounds moving and keep it moving for him to be successful. I hope that is possible.

I do not believe Storey has ever had a real opportunity to play here.  It may feel like his first year to him, except he doesn't have the benefit of playing High School last year and is likely rusty in all phases of the game.

woodrow hog call

« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2018, 05:14:20 pm »

But we need a bit of a high risk and high reward player to win when most think we can't and I think that's CK.

It's an interesting dilemma for sure, do you stay with an older guy that is near his peak to try and scratch out every win you possibly can ? Or do you look at a younger guy that has a higher ceiling, and play him now because you are building for the future, knowing this year is going to be a struggle anyway ?
Or is there some combination of the two where you go with the experienced guy and play to win now, but you still get the younger guy (s) plenty of snaps in real games where we are winning comfortably or losing big ?

Biggus Piggus

• Escaped Journalist
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville: The mosh pit of Razorbackland
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2018, 05:18:10 pm »

I do not expect this coaching staff to go that direction. They have enough talent at RB and TE to make the offense go, don't need the QB to engage in high-risk maneuvers, just accuracy and timing.

RedSkiesAtNightHog

« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2018, 05:32:07 pm »

Definitely, it's a great rule.  I think it benefits teams weak on depth like we are right now.  Can plug some young guys in either right away to test them out and see if they can contribute or later in the season if injuries start to mount and not waste an entire year of eligibility because they played in a few games.  It's one of the best rules they have passed in years.

I agree that it is a great rule.  But why not make it even better?  Just give everyone five years of eligibility!  This eliminates the need for administration and keeping track of playing in four games or less as a Freshman. 

Yes, you still only have 85 scholarships.  It leaves it up to the Coach how he wants to manage 85 scholarships and every player potentially having five years of eligibility.  Walk-ons who make the 110 roster might earn a scholarship in year 3, 4, or 5 if they develop.  It is all up to the Coach to manage his roster.

Porked Tongue

« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2018, 05:46:29 pm »

I do not expect this coaching staff to go that direction. They have enough talent at RB and TE to make the offense go, don't need the QB to engage in high-risk maneuvers, just accuracy and timing.
I might have overstated it, but we will need the QB to make more big plays than the norm due to a talent deficiency overall.  I'm not expecting our OL to hold up and we need a playmaker.

RaisinHog

• Hogvillian
« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2018, 05:49:38 pm »

There is no doubt Noland will play with the new rule.  How much depends on a lot of factors, of course, but he will play.

There is alot of doubt that he will play ... If more than 3 QBs see the field this year than something has gone terribly wrong ...there isn't enough practice reps for more than 2 or 3 too take after a couple of weeks of fall camp

GoHogs1091

• Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2018, 05:56:01 pm »

Morris knows that for his offense to be at optimal peak performance he needs to have a lot of athleticism at the QB position.

He also knows that against some of the SEC defenses your QB better be athletic.

Provided Jefferson doesn't make mental mistakes next season, his athleticism should enable him to overtake whoever is the QB starter this season.

ChitownHawg

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Be Hawgin it since 1960
« Reply #38 on: August 09, 2018, 06:02:04 pm »

No pushback from me. I appreciate those 40 years experienced eyes.  ;)

ChitownHawg

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Be Hawgin it since 1960
« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2018, 06:05:11 pm »

I think they're fine with 255. Even at 270 plus he never looked fat. Kelley is solid. You can see that when cornerbacks bounce off of him. From what I've heard the coaches were mostly impressed with the fact that they told him to lose weight and he did. Cole is a very laid back guy. They want to see more fire and commitment from of him.

Mike, is he laid back like MJ?

Dark Helmet Hog

• Now let's see how well you handle it...
« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2018, 06:14:44 pm »

Great thread and info! Thanks Mike!

Granny fan

• Hogvillian
  • "Jethro says smog is a small hog."
« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2018, 06:28:39 pm »

It would not bother me one bit for Noland to go to baseball only.

The hogs are closer to a national title in baseball than football

Amen to this!

Dtechman

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #42 on: August 09, 2018, 06:35:10 pm »

In b4 twistitup says don’t count out Jones.  Seriously, I think Mike laid it out for us as accurate as it can be. I fully expect the steamboat to start with ty battling for playing time early. Thank you for your first hand insight mike.

tophawg19

• Gold Hogvillian
  • She thinks my hawgs are sexy
« Reply #43 on: August 09, 2018, 06:44:38 pm »

seems a little quick to write the freshmen off after only a few practices

hawgfan4life

« Reply #44 on: August 09, 2018, 06:59:13 pm »

I respect Mike Irwin and appreciate his posts more than anyone.  However, there is no way him or anyone else can know what a true freshman only a few practices in, will do as a redshirt Soph, JR, or SR.  Mike gave his opinion and I am certain it isn't as simple as he doesn't think they will be good enough.  It very well be that they aren't good enough this year, will be waiting for two years, and a younger QB will come in with more time to play.

theFlyingHog

« Reply #45 on: August 09, 2018, 07:01:50 pm »

Typical Hogville!!!
Jones is destined to be the designated "holder."
Jefferson hasn't even STARTED his senior year in HS and he is already named the starter as a freshman.
Noland is so bad that he will opt for baseball.
Storey will never start because he has such a weak arm and is too vanilla to take any risks.
Kelley should be the starter this year because, a. he has great nickname possibilities. b. he is a gunslinger/gambler or "high risk - high reward" and c. because his arm strength is unrivaled in college football.

I bet Morris would pass out from laughing if he could see this stuff!
I remember my first time on the internet. Welcome to Hogville! You’ll get used to it or you’ll get made fun of.

I’m glad Storey is finally getting a fair shake. It will be good to see him get meaningful snaps in games this year. I don’t care to take a stab at who will win the job this year but I’d guess we won’t see CCM’s offense function as he wants until he has his recruit at QB

Biggus Piggus

• Escaped Journalist
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville: The mosh pit of Razorbackland
« Reply #46 on: August 09, 2018, 07:39:24 pm »

I might have overstated it, but we will need the QB to make more big plays than the norm due to a talent deficiency overall.  I'm not expecting our OL to hold up and we need a playmaker.

The Oline thing is the big question, isn't it? I'm hopeful there.

1HourToHogville

« Reply #47 on: August 09, 2018, 07:56:47 pm »

My guess is we'll see at least 3 QB's play (with the first team O) during the first 3 games to determine who will be the man for the rest of the season. 
Who can move the ball against an actual opponent under real pressure will be key factor.  Hard to simulate in practice and scrimmages. 

Mike Irwin

« Reply #48 on: August 09, 2018, 08:01:19 pm »

Typical Hogville!!!
Jones is destined to be the designated "holder."
Jefferson hasn't even STARTED his senior year in HS and he is already named the starter as a freshman.
Noland is so bad that he will opt for baseball.
Storey will never start because he has such a weak arm and is too vanilla to take any risks.
Kelley should be the starter this year because, a. he has great nickname possibilities. b. he is a gunslinger/gambler or "high risk - high reward" and c. because his arm strength is unrivaled in college football.

I bet Morris would pass out from laughing if he could see this stuff!
I don't think he would laugh at all and I think I have a good read on him after nine months. Most people who have watched several quarterbacks perform will have an opinion on who is the best. Who could get the job done. Who is not ready. Who might not ever be ready.

Nobody in this thread, including me, knows what will happen. As I clearly stated, I could be wrong. It's certainly happened before. If you are frustrated or amused by this discussion you probably should refrain from reading a message board because guess what? That's why people are here. To share opinions.

hamARchy in the USA

« Reply #49 on: August 09, 2018, 08:03:19 pm »

My thoughts exactly.  However, I've speculated based on what I've read rather than what I've seen that Hyatt could get the nod.  A talented runner is a playmaker. And when the qb is a talented runner that means the snap is going directly into the hands of a playmaker rather than into the hands of a qb who has to distribute the ball to a playmaker. 
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas