• 10,015,723 Posts
• 401,466 Topics
• 22,976 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Will the defense be as good as most have predicted?  (Read 2534 times)

#hammerdown

• Senior
  • Bring Back the Chrome Dome
Will the defense be as good as most have predicted?
« on: August 08, 2018, 08:58:43 pm »

Sounds like the offense moved the ball quite well today.  Usually in the fall I expect the defense to be ahead of the offense.

With the completely new offensive scheme and the nature of our injury riddled OLine, I would have expected the defense to basically shut them down.

I sure hope we donít have another year of horrid defense.

Tick Hog

Re: Will the defense be as good as most have predicted?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2018, 01:13:22 am »

Without actually knowing the script or situations I wouldnít read too much into it yet. I do agree that generally the defense would be a step ahead at this point and if they did just line straight up and go all out Iíd figure that would be the case.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

LAHogKing

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2018, 01:20:21 am »

The defense should be much improved for obvious reasons. Back to the 4-3 front. One thing I was afraid of was mis-alignment similar to what happened in 2016. practicing against tempo will help against other spread offenses, and return some guys from injury in Pulley and KRich who will get the screw out of his foot a few games into the season

InHognito

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2018, 05:37:50 am »

The defense should be much improved for obvious reasons. Back to the 4-3 front. One thing I was afraid of was mis-alignment similar to what happened in 2016. practicing against tempo will help against other spread offenses, and return some guys from injury in Pulley and KRich who will get the screw out of his foot a few games into the season

Hmmm. Now WHERE have I heard this before.............????

kodiakisland

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2018, 05:40:32 am »

As good as most have predicted....  Who is most?

ballinhog

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2018, 06:53:28 am »

Without actually knowing the script or situations I wouldnít read too much into it yet. I do agree that generally the defense would be a step ahead at this point and if they did just line straight up and go all out Iíd figure that would be the case.

I agree with this guy. Without knowing everything we really donít know. Theyíre probably not blitzing much so the offense can work on certain things. Who knows. Iíve also heard defenders say theyíve gotten a lot of turnovers. One player said they forced 8 turnovers one day, donít remember who said that.

Surely to God our defense canít get any worse. I said that last year though

HOGINTENNESSEE

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Ryan Mallett: "I don't get nervous"
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2018, 06:53:36 am »

This defense is going to give up a lot of big plays. Letís not trick ourselves. Also they will probably wear down at the end of the seasons due to lack of depth.

But we should see great improvements is tackles for a loss and turnovers. Which after the last 3 season Iím excited about

jkstock04

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2018, 06:56:33 am »

Sounds like the offense moved the ball quite well today.  Usually in the fall I expect the defense to be ahead of the offense.

With the completely new offensive scheme and the nature of our injury riddled OLine, I would have expected the defense to basically shut them down.

It'll look better than last year. I think it'll still be bad on a numbers standpoint and in conference comparison....but to us watching with the naked eye it'll be a lot better. They will be better coached and schemed without doubt.

jjdlc

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2018, 07:01:56 am »

I haven't really seen many predicting us to have a top 10 or even 20 defense.  Many are predicting improvement, which, isn't that big of a gamble given our defensive rankings the past several years.

That said, I wont get too bent out of shape over performance in practices this early.

1highhog

• Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat.
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2018, 07:12:13 am »

Even if our defense can get to being somewhere in the 70th best defense of the Nation we should look at it as a huge turnaround from last year, some may have forgotten just how bad we were and how far we were ranked as a defensive unit last season.  What always irked me was seeing one of our players after stopping some opposing player for no gain get up off him and basically trash talk, we would be down 30 points or so and our player is trash talking?  Lol, what the heck, we're being blown out and we are the ones trash talking? 

Anyway, I don't expect a turnaround from close to last to top ten this season, that's unreasonable, but steady improvement will bolster my confidence in going forward with Chavez as our DC.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Nadine Coyle shakin it for the Hogs!!!!
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2018, 07:14:17 am »

I agree with you. We don't know what the situation was in practice. I do think that we will see far more attempts at producing pressure up front and I hope it is very successful. I also hope that our Secondary plays more efficiently this season. I don't have high expectations but I do hope that we can at least be an "average" defense in terms of total defense.

jgphillips3

• Life is too short for bad beer.
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2018, 07:29:01 am »

I think if you put the general consensus on a range most rational people believe the defense has the talent to rank as high as the 30ís and should be no lower than the 60ís or 70ís as a unit, either of which is a big improvement over last year and the year before.  I think we can finish anywhere from 6th to 9th in the conference which would again be improvement.  We have an SEC caliber first string.  We are thin behind that unless some guys really emerge.  So, if we can stay injury free and get off the field on occasion this year, then we can get toward the upper end.  If not, as the year goes on we will tail off some but still be improved.

nwahogfan1

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2018, 08:09:01 am »

Better yes.   Great NO.  I hope we can hold teams under 30 ppg.  That would be a decrease of 6 ppg. 

We must also improve in stopping the run.  We were horrible in that area last year.   

For this defense to be successful it must create turnovers to give the ball back to the offense on a short field.  Also it must get negative plays and put pressure on the QB hoping he will do something to help us.   But sometimes it will back fire and we will give up an easy score. 

Should be a exciting year. 

Go Hogs.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 06:39:31 pm by nwahogfan1 »

Lud42

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2018, 08:33:32 am »

With this style of offense, it will be very hard to have a top rated defense when it comes to yards allowed because of all the extra possessions. I think the goal has to be to gamble and try to create turnovers/ lost yardage plays to get off the field. Eventually (hopefully sooner than later) the offense will be efficient enough that a few extra possessions will be enough to outscore most opponents.

Last season we scored 28.75 points per game and gave up 36.16 per game.
SMU scored 37.85 per game and allowed more points than we did, 36.69 per game.

Another 9 points a game last season could have been the difference between the 4-8 we were and 7-5 even if the defense was the same. Even if the defense also improved by a touchdown a game, which would be significant, we still likely would have finished just 7-5 because outside of Mizzou, Miss St, and aTm we were absolutely drilled in our other 5 losses.

I'm taking the approach to the defense that I have with the basketball Hogs. I won't mind them gambling and giving up a few easy ones if we are playing fast, the offense is scoring, and the risks pay off just enough to give us a little breathing room. We don't have to be Alabama, who only gave up 11.9 points per game last season, we will be more (eventually, we hope) like Oklahoma who gave up 27 a game, but they didn't mind because they were scoring 45 per game.

CPO Hog

• Senior
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2018, 08:36:34 am »

When you think about it, 2 or 3 BIG defensive plays a game can swing season D-Ranking 20, 30 or more position. Not to mention change the W-L outcome of 1 or 2 possession games. I don't expect to field a Steel Curtain D this year, but I do expect some game changing defensive plays & effort.

redleg

• Senior
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2018, 08:59:45 am »

This defense will be much better than the last two seasons. I can see a lot more pressure on opposing QBs, which will in-turn, help the secondary in their coverage. Speaking of the secondary, I believe they are the best unit on the 2018 defense, and the additional pass rush from the Line will only make them better. I see Greenlaw leading the team in tackles this year, followed by Harris. Most teams will try to run to the corners, or will use misdirection to run up the middle, so I see Dre tallying the most tackles. I also believe that there is a DE on this team that can get close to 10 sacks for the season, or even surpass the 10 sack mark. Ramsey is the best bet, but don't sleep on Gerald, Richardson, or even Agim since he will be moving all over the D-Line each game.
This defense may not have the overall talent to stop the offense of Alabama, Auburn, or maybe even Miss St or A&M. But they will be much improved and good enough to keep the Hogs in a majority of their games. I can even see this D winning a game or two for Arkansas.
If Chavis will stick around for four or five years, he could turn this defense into one of the best in the SEC, if not the country. Arkansas has had great defenses in its past. No reason to think it can't happen again, or even be sustained longer than only two or three seasons.

ALLVOL

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2018, 10:28:20 am »

As good as most have predicted....  Who is most?
LOL that's what I was thinking. The "experts" all but called Morris an idiot for bringing Chief in. (The media doesn't care for him because he hasn't done a lot of interviews with them over the years and doesn't kiss their a$$, so they take shots at him when they can)

#hammerdown

• Senior
  • Bring Back the Chrome Dome
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2018, 03:38:52 pm »

LOL that's what I was thinking. The "experts" all but called Morris an idiot for bringing Chief in. (The media doesn't care for him because he hasn't done a lot of interviews with them over the years and doesn't kiss their a$$, so they take shots at him when they can)

I guess I should have listed a poll first asking how many predict it would be greatly improved.  I could have then provided scientific data for you.  Iím basing ďmostĒ on what I have seen here and other boards.

I frankly see those as a good sample size of Razorback fans.

Sorry if I offended you and Kodiak with my overly generalized verbiage.

Calvin Swine

• Varsity
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2018, 03:55:52 pm »

I think you should redefine what "good" is in this modern era of football.  Defenses rarely shut out opponents or hold them to 3 points like they did 10+ years ago.  I'd consider a "good" defense (coupled with a hurry up offense) to be a defense that gets you a couple key stops and allows your offense to go up a couple scores.  Take defensive stats and, by and large, throw them away.  It's an archaic way to look at it now when the rules are tailored more for offensive production.  If you're offense scores more points than the other team on a consistent basis then your defense is good enough, so yeah "good".

If your hurry up offense isn't moving the sticks, scoring points and going 3 and out then it's not your defenses fault if the other team racks up points.  You're ineptness on offense put your D in a nearly impossible situation. 

So, will our defense be good?  Don't know.  Let's see how good our offense will be.   ;)

Youngsta71701

• There's a God somewhere.
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2018, 04:10:18 pm »

The defense should be better. That's about all I can say. Can't give them anymore that that until they show me.

liljo

« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2018, 04:12:07 pm »

I guess I should have listed a poll first asking how many predict it would be greatly improved.  I could have then provided scientific data for you.  Iím basing ďmostĒ on what I have seen here and other boards.

I frankly see those as a good sample size of Razorback fans.

Sorry if I offended you and Kodiak with my overly generalized verbiage.

Nah, man, I don't think you should see it as having offended anyone. These guys aren't offended! You could change ONE WORD in the title of this thread and be right on:

"Will the defense be as good as MANY have predicted?"

Even better: "Will the defense be as good as SOME have predicted?"

Because the fact is, there are a bunch of doubters. A bunch of skeptics. Some are just jaded. Others are "show me" types. But I don't think anyone is "offended" by your question at all. Of course, I could be wrong! I've seen folks flame people on Hogville for a lot of things in my short time here. I've quit being amazed by it. I hope the fans in the stands are never as divided as the ones online!

Biggus Piggus

• Escaped Journalist
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville: The mosh pit of Razorbackland
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2018, 04:22:51 pm »

Most have predicted what?

Really curious about that one.

« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2018, 05:42:37 pm »

What I am hearing from this thread is that, 1.  A decent offense can make the defense appear pretty good if they can keep the ball long enough to score.  2.  a pretty decent D can look awful if the offense keeps going 3 and out.  You know what is really fun.  Having to just wait and see.  Many of us appear to be like children that just cannot wait for Christmas morning.

Otis Kirk

• Global Moderator
  • Hogvillian
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2018, 05:48:18 pm »

Just watching 20 minutes no way for us in media to know. As someone said you don't know what script was. I expect the D to be better than it has been the past few years. It is gonna be aggressive so that is a start. The passive defense the past two years got lit up like Christmas tree. It will be much better than past years, but how much will depend on the health, but I do think they are getting some depth developed over there.

LAHogKing

« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2018, 07:12:18 pm »

Hmmm. Now WHERE have I heard this before.............????
Chavis and Caldwell man

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Nadine Coyle shakin it for the Hogs!!!!
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2018, 07:30:40 pm »

What I am hearing from this thread is that, 1.  A decent offense can make the defense appear pretty good if they can keep the ball long enough to score.  2.  a pretty decent D can look awful if the offense keeps going 3 and out.  You know what is really fun.  Having to just wait and see.  Many of us appear to be like children that just cannot wait for Christmas morning.

Our defense could look really good against our first 3 opponents and then we hit the 3 game run of Auburn, A&M and Alabama in successive weeks and perhaps not look as good as we might have hoped. Of course that doesn't mean that all hope is lost because that should be a pretty serious learning stretch for this defense with a new scheme. If they learn as they should and we manage to avoid injuries to key players, this defense should perform better in the second half of the season once they get acclimated to what Chavis expects of them in terms of execution.

And there is always the possibility that the offense also begins to come together better in the second half of the season than the first and if so, we could find ourselves going 4-2 in the second half. Do that and we have a shot at 7 wins and a good, but not great bowl game. That would be a "win" for the Morris staff the first year out of the chutes.

kodiakisland

« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2018, 07:43:19 pm »

Nah, man, I don't think you should see it as having offended anyone. These guys aren't offended! You could change ONE WORD in the title of this thread and be right on:

"Will the defense be as good as MANY have predicted?"

Even better: "Will the defense be as good as SOME have predicted?"

Because the fact is, there are a bunch of doubters. A bunch of skeptics. Some are just jaded. Others are "show me" types. But I don't think anyone is "offended" by your question at all. Of course, I could be wrong! I've seen folks flame people on Hogville for a lot of things in my short time here. I've quit being amazed by it. I hope the fans in the stands are never as divided as the ones online!

Yeah, more amused than offended.  If anything, I would say much of the fan base is somewhat apathetic to the whole thing.  Haven't we heard for years how the last hire was the best ever?  Outside of a few posters here on hogville, I haven't heard anyone who thinks the defense will be greatly improved.  We all hope it is, but to believe it will be?  Yeah, I don't know how anyone thinks most think it will be.

hawginbigd1

« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2018, 08:32:00 pm »

Light on injuries it will be top half of the conference/nation. Lots of injuries it will still be much improved, we have better athletes/players at all levels than 2 years ago IMO. We have improved some players from last year especially at LB/nickel/safety. Curl will be playing his best position. One of the best CBs in the country is coming back. Harris and Greenlaw will be better, think about that especially with Harris. We have loads of youngsters with high recruiting rankings that haven't pissed a drop yet really. Ramirez will play better or he will get pushed aside. I think the defense will be the strength of this team, I am excited.

Pigsknuckles

• When you least expect it...
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2018, 09:52:52 pm »

Just wait till he reverts to his Mustang Formation with the game on the line. Prevent with a different name. Cue the fire Willy chants. Sorry, not drinking the Kool-Aid just yet.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 10:37:19 pm by Pigsknuckles »

LL COOL HOG

« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2018, 10:11:58 pm »

Grant Morgan in his interview said the Defense had 8 turnovers yesterday and about 6 today. Sound like the Defense is doing its job and the Offensive is struggling.

Pigsknuckles

• When you least expect it...
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2018, 10:36:50 pm »

Grant Morgan in his interview said the Defense had 8 turnovers yesterday and about 6 today. Sound like the Defense is doing its job and the Offensive is struggling.

Impressive...just wait till we face an offense that isn't struggling. Giving me some concerns on both sides of the ball.

LL COOL HOG

« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2018, 11:22:37 pm »

Yes it is very concerning. We have two Freshmen getting alot of reps at left guard and tackle. That makes me nervous.

Dominicanhog

« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2018, 06:10:48 am »

By the end of the year, we'll be saying "that's why we paid Chavis 2 million bucks."  ..

Other than Paul Rhoads' secondary, I never saw any group get better,  LB's and DL got progressively worse year after year.. no rush, couldn't tackle and got beat deep often.. not much reason to think it won't be at least "better"...

PharmacistHog

• Global Moderator
  • Gameday Goon
« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2018, 07:35:38 am »

Yeah, more amused than offended.  If anything, I would say much of the fan base is somewhat apathetic to the whole thing.  Haven't we heard for years how the last hire was the best ever?  Outside of a few posters here on hogville, I haven't heard anyone who thinks the defense will be greatly improved.  We all hope it is, but to believe it will be?  Yeah, I don't know how anyone thinks most think it will be.

I think probably some people are confusing excitement over the defensive recruiting with expectations for this seasonís defense.

Al Boarland

« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2018, 07:42:27 am »

One of the best CBs in the country is coming back.

Did he make it on any pre-season all-american list?

Ex-Trumpet

• Gold Hogvillian
  • When life gives you lemons, get a boob job!
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2018, 07:53:54 am »

If the offense scores fast and often, our defensive stats this year could be bad.  But as long as our offense scores more than their offense I'm good with it!

liljo

« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2018, 08:01:16 am »

Did he make it on any pre-season all-american list?

Yes. Practically every single one of 'em.

(Hey, if he's not going to check for himself...)

Deep Shoat

• The Artist formerly known as Hong Kong Sooey
« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2018, 08:25:13 am »

I think probably some people are confusing excitement over the defensive recruiting with expectations for this seasonís defense.
I expect the D to be significantly better.  We have real talent at all three levels, difference makers.  We have one of the premier DC's to EVER grace a college sideline, and we are going to play fast and aggressive, because that's who John Chavis IS.

I'll go ahead and predict a top 50 finish for the D.

Al Boarland

« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2018, 08:33:56 am »

Yes. Practically every single one of 'em.

(Hey, if he's not going to check for himself...)

I didn't see Pulley on any All-American list, but he did make 4th team All-Conference.

toddfromdesarc

« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2018, 08:38:28 am »

Defense will probably be bad again. But getting to just bad and not historically awful will be a huge improvement.

bphi11ips

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I need help with my footwork, too.
« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2018, 08:43:36 am »

I expect the D to be significantly better.  We have real talent at all three levels, difference makers.  We have one of the premier DC's to EVER grace a college sideline, and we are going to play fast and aggressive, because that's who John Chavis IS.

I'll go ahead and predict a top 50 finish for the D.

A&M jumped from 102 to 51 in Chavisís first year. Arkansas was 101 last year. With the experience we have returning, thereís no reason we canít do something similar in 2018.

ALLVOL

« Reply #41 on: August 10, 2018, 03:24:05 pm »

Just wait till he reverts to his Mustang Formation with the game on the line. Prevent with a different name. Cue the fire Willy chants. Sorry, not drinking the Kool-Aid just yet.
When I read people posting this or hear people say it, I shake my head. Name me 1 just 1 good coach who doesn't have a prevent formation? In NCAA, Highschool or NFL THEY ALL HAvE ONE. Saban, Dabo and even Belichick have a prevent defense.
Good grief the lack of football knowledge in so many fans is astounding.

SWarkansasman

« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2018, 12:01:34 pm »

Whoever is saying this defense is going to be good, needs to review our SEC schedule. 

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #43 on: August 11, 2018, 12:20:35 pm »

Whoever is saying this defense is going to be good, needs to review our SEC schedule. 

I have reviewed it. This year's schedule is the most favorable schedule that the Hogs have had in a very long time.

HOGINTENNESSEE

• Ryan Mallett: "I don't get nervous"
« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2018, 12:23:17 pm »

Our easiest schedule since 2011? Yes I have reviewed it

This defense will be much improved at pressuring the QB and Turnovers. We are still going to give up big plays and in some games lots of yards.

Ben

• Senior
How concerned are you about the Defense?
« Reply #45 on: August 12, 2018, 05:21:57 pm »

Coach Morris seems like he will get the offense going soon. But the achillies to most offensive minded coaches are Defense. How well do you think the razorbacks will be this year and in the future defensively?

tophawg19

• Gold Hogvillian
  • She thinks my hawgs are sexy
« Reply #46 on: August 12, 2018, 07:44:40 pm »

Don't read much into the scrimage a number of players were held out of the game

TheRazorback500

• It's better to burn out than fade away.
« Reply #47 on: August 12, 2018, 10:29:24 pm »

We have more talent, experience, and depth on D this year than last, and Chavis brings an aggressive style which the players seem to like. With the easier schedule, it should be at least somewhat improved and at least as good as predicted.

bennyl08

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Ever since the war I've had a drinking problem
« Reply #48 on: August 12, 2018, 11:55:16 pm »

Not sure what this thread is hoping to achieve/find. To me, it sounds like the OP is wanting to hear some negative predictions.

Fact is, EVERYTHING at this point is merely a prediction. Asking if a prediction will come true before it has had time to pass is merely asking for yet another prediction and nothing more.

I could give you a full page synopsis of why our defense could be a genuinely great defense this coming year, and not just in a "well, ranking in the 60's is better than what we used to have" kind of way, but at least a top 25 defense. There are a ton of proven facts to support this.

However, I could just as easily do the exact same thing to show why we won't have an improved defense, or at least not above anything negligible from last season. The possibilities for this team are endless, in both a good and a bad way.

DeltaBoy

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I'm Un-Reconstructed. Sic semper tyrannis
« Reply #49 on: August 13, 2018, 08:20:27 am »

I believe this season the D will help us win one and be closer on some others!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas