• 9,931,407 Posts
• 399,380 Topics
• 22,894 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Razorback rap (8/8/18): New 5* offer, more recruiting, current & past Hogs  (Read 1520 times)

Kevin McPherson

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net

* 2020 Isaiah Jackson (6-9 F, Ole Redford Academy, Detroit, MI, The Family 17U of Nike EYBL, composite Nat'l No. 17 / 5-star) is reporting via Twitter an Arkansas offer this evening. Jackson also reports offers from Michigan State, Indiana, Louisville, Syracuse, UConn, Florida State, Maryland, Iowa, Creighton, and Mississippi State among others.

Jackson marks the fourth 5-star recruit that Arkansas has offered combined in the 2019 and 2020 classes, joining Arkansas-native Moses Moody (6-5 shooting guard, ESPN Nat'l No. 17 / 5* in c/o 2020), Jalen Johnson (6-8 point-forward from Wisconsin, composite Nat'l Top 15 / 5* in c/o 2020), Will Baker (6-11 F/C from Austin, TX, composite Nat'l Top 20 / 5* in c/o 2019) ... not to mention 2019 Nat'l Top 50 / 4-star CJ Walker, who is likely to move into 5-star status soon.

It's apparent when you look at Arkansas's recent offer list that the Hogs are going after bigs and elite talent as they look to capitalize on some recent success they've had developing players for the SEC and the next level: Bobby Portis going SEC Player of the Year, 2nd-team All American, and 1st-round draft pick after his sophomore season; Moses Kingsley going 2-time All SEC, All SEC Defensive team, and preseason SEC POY; and Dan Gafford coming in as a 4-star but projected as a fringe lottery pick after his freshman season, and virtually a consensus lottery pick in 2019.

Below is a youtube link to a recent Isaiah Jackson highlight reel ... he's impressive ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FCk4Q65-TE

* 2019 Javon Franklin (6-6 / 6-7 combo forward, Little Rock Parkview c/o '17, sophomore-to-be at Holmes Community College in Mississippi) told me today that Arkansas is still very much in the picture, and that he and Hog coaches have "been talking bout getting me on campus, and we decided sometime in September for a visit."

Franklin has arguably the most explosive hops to come out of Arkansas in awhile -- and that's saying a lot! He's relentless and aggressive around the basket, finishing high-percentage shots while proving to be a volume rebounder and a plus-rim-protector. Franklin averaged 10.8 points (on 63.2% FGs), 8.2 rebounds, 2.5 blocks, 2.0 assists, and 1.0 steal in 29 games last season as a freshman at Holmes CC. After '18-19, he'll have 2 seasons of playing eligibility at the D1 level.

In addition to Arkansas, programs like Memphis, Mississippi State, Oklahoma, Kansas State, and others have been inquiring and recruiting Franklin, who recently attended and showed well at the prestigious Mullen Top 100 juco camp in Wichita, KS. Below is a link to a 2019 "watch list" for the top-rated forwards in the junior college ranks, which includes Franklin.

https://www.jucorecruiting.com/2019-juco-basketball-forwards-to-watch

* It was wheels up today for Hog sophomore-to-be Daniel Gafford who flew out to Los Angeles to take part in the prestigious Nike Skills Academy (runs through Sunday, August 12) ... Gafford, projected in multiple mock drafts to go in the NBA draft lottery in 2019, also attended the Nike Skills Academy in 2016 (along with Hog freshman and Little Rock Parkview standout Khalil Garland and then-Hog-senior-to-be Moses Kingsley).

This is a great opportunity for Gafford to measure himself against some of the best amateur players in the country. In the past, the Nike Skills Academy has invited approximately 60-70 of the top high school players in the country as well as 20-25 of the best from the college ranks. It will also help raise the profile of Arkansas's men's basketball having a top-level player take part in a Nike exposure event. Current and former NBA players and coaches take part in instruction and mentoring opportunities.

Speaking of Gafford, I continue to hear that he loves playing with redshirt-sophomore Jalen Harris, who transferred to Arkansas after playing his freshman season at New Mexico in '16-17. By all accounts, Harris is a facilitator-first point guard, something that Gafford did not have as a freshman last season. Harris is fast and explosive off the bounce, and when you factor in how fast Gafford is moving from end-to-end, my guess is Hog fans are in for some highlight-reel excitement in just 3 months.

* 2020 Sasha Goforth (6-0 guard, Fayetteville) is rated Nat'l No. 8 / 5* according to this Top 25 list at ESPN ... http://www.espn.com/high-school/girls-basketball/recruiting/rankings/_/class/2020

I saw Goforth lead Fayetteville to the Girls' 7A state title as a freshman two years ago, and at the time I said she'd be remembered as the LeBron James of girls' basketball in Arkansas. I've watched her play several times, and that comparison is easy for me: She's tall, long, and skilled, and she can beat you inside and out as a scorer, facilitator, on the glass, as a defender -- whatever it takes, she's got an all-around game that sets her apart from everyone else.

Mike Neighbors is already off to a solid start in recruiting at Arkansas, but getting Goforth would likely be the biggest feather in his cap for years to come.

* Making player comparisons is just something we do as sports fans, something I like to do as a basketball junkie, and one that I've been making for awhile (and I'm certainly not the only one who sees the similarities) is Hog great Corliss Williamson of Russellville and 2020 Hog offer Chris Moore of West Memphis.

I talked about those two during a 2-plus-minute highlight reel where I spliced footage of Big Nasty with Arkansas against Arizona in the 1994 Final Four along with footage of CM2 with West Memphis against Jonesboro in the 2018 6A state title game ... below is a link to the tweet that includes the highlight video and commentary ...

https://twitter.com/ARHoopScoop/status/1027268262940356609

* 2022 Derrian Ford (6-1 / 6-2 point guard, Team South 15U) will play on the varsity for Magnolia as a 9th-grader in 2018-19 ... nationally regarded in his class, Derrian is still working on plans to make an unofficial visit to Arkansas in the coming weeks ... stay tuned.

Hogberry Snortcake

• Hogvillian
  • "Something profound." -Someone Famous

Can't hit shots we don't take.  WPS.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

grayhawg

Thanks for the updates.

hawg66

• Senior

Great stuff. Thanks Kevin

Kevin McPherson

• All-American Hogvillian

* Javon Franklin confirmed Wednesday night that he holds a Hog offer ... linked (from the Hogville Basketball Recruiting forum) is a story w/lots of details, quotes, a video interview, and video highlights taken last night ...

http://forums.hogville.net/index.php?topic=665865.0
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas