• 9,931,407 Posts
• 399,380 Topics
• 22,894 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is there a reason people think TAMU won't be much a threat under Jimbo?  (Read 2895 times)

bphi11ips

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I need help with my footwork, too.
Re: Is there a reason people think TAMU won't be much a threat under Jimbo?
« Reply #50 on: August 08, 2018, 06:20:02 pm »

Weíve already had a multi-page thread on this subject this summer. 

Seems like several.

I donít recall seeing anyone saying A&M wonít be much of a threat under Fisher. He has incredible resources and is recruiting lights out. Whether he can leap frog Auburn and LSU is a different question. Itís not likely, in my opinion, that A&M will regularly beat Alabama under Fisher.

I donít believe A&M will completely outclass Arkansas under Fisher. The programs are historically similar, and Arkansas could be a team on the rise. There seems to be some very talented recruits who agree. Weíll see.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Nadine Coyle shakin it for the Hogs!!!!
« Reply #51 on: August 08, 2018, 07:01:38 pm »

This guy has been to 5 straight major bowls, won 3, made a playoff, and won a national title. He is in a hot bed with fertile recruiting grounds and TAMU is already stocking up on talent in the future since his arrival.

Why do people think Jimbo is going to underachieve at TAMU with his resume and resources? Even more so think they won't be too much a threat for Arkansas? TAMU had a mediocre coach in Sumlin and beat Arkansas all 6 times. Both have new coaches, but Fisher is much more accomplished than Morris.

Less talent at A&M than he had at his disposal at FSU and with all of that talent at FSU, he underachieved compared to the talent that he had for most of his seasons at that school. Additionally, he will run a Pro Style of offense and I believe that will lessen the odds of being a fast break offense that a lot of teams are moving towards. He also loses 68% of his receiving yards (WR's) from last season so WR is going to be a question mark for this team.

Lastly, the SEC West is not the ACC Atlantic where he really only had to really worry about Clemson and Louisville.

Eventually he will probably adapt to a higher level of competition week in and week out, but in the meantime, he is going to find out what a sweet deal he had at FSU compared to being in the SEC West.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

HOGINTENNESSEE

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Ryan Mallett: "I don't get nervous"
« Reply #52 on: August 08, 2018, 07:21:06 pm »

And in what ways are those better ways at FSU? Both are in prime recruiting states and have a solid commitment from alums and boosters. But TAMU has a much larger booster and alum base from where to draw support.

Better recruiting ground, better tradition, more recent success, and best job in their conference

Arkansas Hog in Dallas

« Reply #53 on: August 08, 2018, 07:30:18 pm »

.783 winning percentage > .739 winning percentage

75% of your seasons as 10+ win seasons > 57% of your seasons as 10+ win seasons

1 national championship > a whole lot of other things

Apples to oranges.

Did you want Gus?

Arkansas Fan

« Reply #54 on: August 08, 2018, 07:43:00 pm »

I've been going back and forth about this. I can see Jimbo building a power at A&M while at the same time I can see it just being another Sumlin type A&M program.

RyanMallettsEgo

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Take it easy, I'm pre-law.

247Hog

• Senior
  • Regular Sized Rudy Calling the Hogs
« Reply #56 on: August 08, 2018, 07:56:58 pm »

Fisher has never had to overcome anything. The one major thing he came across was the drama with Jameis Winston, which was covered and cleaned up by others for him.

His last season at FSU he had to face adversity finally and IMO when he did, he crumbled. He finally felt some unrest in the fan base and he folded and left. Aggies are going to be much much much harder on him if it goes South. He also coached at FSU while Florida and Miami were down. They're finally on the way up and he couldn't hang. He's in the SEC West and has never had to be on his game every single Saturday. He had the talent at FSU that cupcakes were overlooked and he could focus on those 3/4 major games a season. He can't do that in the SEC.

That is why i do not believe he will be as successful as the Aggies think he will be. For the record i do think he will do okay but he will not have the success the Aggies think he will have.

Wildhog

« Reply #57 on: August 08, 2018, 08:04:20 pm »

Iím not sure how one can underestimate an opponent thatís beaten you six straight years and just upgraded their head coach.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Nadine Coyle shakin it for the Hogs!!!!
« Reply #58 on: August 08, 2018, 08:14:55 pm »

Fisher has never had to overcome anything. The one major thing he came across was the drama with Jameis Winston, which was covered and cleaned up by others for him.

His last season at FSU he had to face adversity finally and IMO when he did, he crumbled. He finally felt some unrest in the fan base and he folded and left. Aggies are going to be much much much harder on him if it goes South. He also coached at FSU while Florida and Miami were down. They're finally on the way up and he couldn't hang. He's in the SEC West and has never had to be on his game every single Saturday. He had the talent at FSU that cupcakes were overlooked and he could focus on those 3/4 major games a season. He can't do that in the SEC.

That is why i do not believe he will be as successful as the Aggies think he will be. For the record i do think he will do okay but he will not have the success the Aggies think he will have.

I agree, he is not going to achieve at the level that they expect of him and they are "heavily" invested in him.

2015-He lost to Clemson and to Houston in his bowl game.
2016-Lost to UNC and again, to Clemson while being hammered by Louisiville 20-63.
2017-Started off 0-2 losing to Alabama 7-24 and NC State 21-27, then 20-24 to Miami, 28-31 to Louisville and then 3-35 to Boston College (Boston College?) and then of course he lost to Clemson (again) 14-31. Three of his last four wins last season came against Delaware State, ULM and So. Miss. I'm sure he was thankful for those 3 games...and with ALL THAT TALENT at FSU.

I think he underachieves the projected expectations for him at A&M.

RyanMallettsEgo

« Reply #59 on: August 08, 2018, 09:22:35 pm »

Iím not sure how one can underestimate an opponent thatís beaten you six straight years and just upgraded their head coach.

Welcome to Hogville, where speculation rules and facts donít matter.

rhames

« Reply #60 on: August 08, 2018, 09:24:19 pm »

BUT AGGIE GUNNA AGGIE WILDHOG

31to6

« Reply #61 on: August 08, 2018, 09:43:07 pm »

This guy has been to 5 straight major bowls, won 3, made a playoff, and won a national title. He is in a hot bed with fertile recruiting grounds and TAMU is already stocking up on talent in the future since his arrival.
The only real legitimate reason is that FSU fans were growing increasingly frustrated with Jimbo and point to some of his deficiencies in doing so.

If you buy it, the script is essentially that Jimbo oversaw a steady decline the last three years, largely due to an inability to maintain discipline

FSU is still the most talented team in the ACC and posting up 12 losses in his last three years, including a complete collapse in 2017, is definitely underachieving.

Me, I think he got sick of the crap at FSU. So he'll go coach the Aggies until he gets sick of theirs.

And then he will retire rich.

Dark Helmet Hog

• Now let's see how well you handle it...
« Reply #62 on: August 08, 2018, 09:48:03 pm »

I agree, he is not going to achieve at the level that they expect of him and they are "heavily" invested in him.

2016-Lost to UNC and again, to Clemson while being hammered by Louisiville 20-63.
2017-Started off 0-2 losing to Alabama 7-24 and NC State 21-27, then 20-24 to Miami, 28-31 to Louisville and then 3-35 to Boston College (Boston College?) and then of course he lost to Clemson (again) 14-31. Three of his last four wins last season came against Delaware State, ULM and So. Miss. I'm sure he was thankful for those 3 games...and with ALL THAT TALENT at FSU.

I agree with you on this and the SEC will offer no quarter.

LAHogfan123

« Reply #63 on: August 08, 2018, 09:52:00 pm »

Why do people think Jimbo is going to underachieve at TAMU with his resume and resources? Even more so think they won't be too much a threat for Arkansas? TAMU had a mediocre coach in Sumlin and beat Arkansas all 6 times. Both have new coaches, but Fisher is much more accomplished than Morris.

Trust me, the Aggies will continue to be a thorn in our side and it's because they joined the SEC.  There were so many on Hogville that wanted the Aggies in the SEC, I'd say close to 50%, and I never could understand why.  Anyone in there right mind could have fore seen the trouble they were going to be.

RyanMallettsEgo

« Reply #64 on: August 08, 2018, 09:52:39 pm »

Still finished 83-23, had 6 10+ win seasons, and won a national championship in 8 years.

Say he loses a bad one to Ole Miss + Alabama + bowl in 2019 but goes 10-3.
Say he loses a bad one to us + Alabama + Auburn in 2020 but goes 10-3.
Say he loses a bad one to us + Alabama + an East team in 2021 but goes 10-3.

You donít think Aggies would take that? God knows I would.

Arkansas Fan

« Reply #65 on: August 08, 2018, 09:58:55 pm »

We upgraded our coach as well, and what happened the past six years has nothing to do with the 2018 season.

liljo

« Reply #66 on: August 08, 2018, 10:01:57 pm »

Trust me, the Aggies will continue to be a thorn in our side and it's because they joined the SEC.  There were so many on Hogville that wanted the Aggies in the SEC, I'd say close to 50%, and I never could understand why.  Anyone in there right mind could have fore seen the trouble they were going to be.
...or even their right mind for that matter...

factchecker

• RAZORBACKS OR NOTHING!
« Reply #67 on: August 08, 2018, 10:02:49 pm »

You donít think Aggies would take that? God knows I would.
No.... they wouldn't - especially if they continue to lose to LSU.  And the pressure will be compouned if by some chance Texass gets better.

Jimbo isn't getting $75 million to go 10-3.  It is national championship or bust for the Aggies.

Of course you, me, and any other Razorback fan would be happy with 10-3 because we realize that

1. We don't have the recruiting base that AnM occupies.
2. We don't have anywhere near the amount of alumni that AnM has.
3. We have a handful of "big-time" donors but nowhere near AnM status.

Give us an equal recruiting, alumni fanbase, and donor network to AnM and we would be just as demanding.

With that being said, 10-3 would only satiate our fans for so long.  3 consecutive 10-3 seasons would have fans wondering if Coach Morris could win the big one.  There would be calls for his firing.... heck, we have fans who want DVH fired..... because "2nd place is for medictoryty loosers".

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #68 on: August 08, 2018, 10:05:14 pm »

TAMU is a very easy school to underachieve at....simply because their expectation are so high. They hired one of the 4 active coaches to win an Nat Championship. Why? They want a national championship and if he doesn't win one in 5 years he will be gone.

He is recruiting in a very competitive area. UT is number 3 in the nation currently. Not to mention the 3-4 other TX a schools that are fighting over the same in state kids.

TAMU is a tough job and I think Jimbo leaves for LSU (where he's coached before) in 4-5 years. When a good coach is at LSU they get all the studs from that state - it's a much easier job than TAMU

FSU is also in a very competitive recruiting area.

twistitup

« Reply #69 on: August 08, 2018, 10:06:39 pm »

FSU is also in a very competitive recruiting area.

No doubt about it.

Tylerhog

« Reply #70 on: August 08, 2018, 10:29:56 pm »

Jimbo will roll for 3 years and began to enjoy his retirement package early as it is guaranteed and the burning desire to coach will fade and heíll coast for 3-4 years and be mediocre before accepting 20 mil for his last 3 years to go away, would take less but no reason too....

Iwastherein1969

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Hmm, halftme, today I'll have grape PB&J sammiches
« Reply #71 on: August 08, 2018, 10:55:08 pm »

Apples to oranges.
No. More accurately stated would be Seminoles to Aggy.

liljo

« Reply #72 on: August 08, 2018, 11:03:54 pm »

Jimbo will roll for 3 years and began to enjoy his retirement package early as it is guaranteed and the burning desire to coach will fade and heíll coast for 3-4 years and be mediocre before accepting 20 mil for his last 3 years to go away, would take less but no reason too....

Sounds like the Beliema Plan...well, minus the "roll" part...or even the mediocre part...

RyanMallettsEgo

« Reply #73 on: August 08, 2018, 11:37:30 pm »

No.... they wouldn't - especially if they continue to lose to LSU.  And the pressure will be compouned if by some chance Texass gets better.

Jimbo isn't getting $75 million to go 10-3.  It is national championship or bust for the Aggies.

Of course you, me, and any other Razorback fan would be happy with 10-3 because we realize that

1. We don't have the recruiting base that AnM occupies.
2. We don't have anywhere near the amount of alumni that AnM has.
3. We have a handful of "big-time" donors but nowhere near AnM status.

Give us an equal recruiting, alumni fanbase, and donor network to AnM and we would be just as demanding.

With that being said, 10-3 would only satiate our fans for so long.  3 consecutive 10-3 seasons would have fans wondering if Coach Morris could win the big one.  There would be calls for his firing.... heck, we have fans who want DVH fired..... because "2nd place is for medictoryty loosers".

This is a good counter. Now that I think about it, you could've even used Georgia as an example...all the years Richt won 10 games and was still run off.

And I think you're right. It's just the Arkansas fan in me that would love that sort of record going forward. Maybe Aggie fans would be okay with it, maybe not. Again, as an Arkansas fan, it's hard for me to fathom a fanbase running off a guy who achieves the records that I mentioned that you quoted.

But like I said, it basically happened to Richt. So you do have a good point.

At the end of the day, it's all about what happens when Saban retires and what move Alabama makes. That's when it'll all get realllllly interesting. If Jimbo is still around, that could be his time to shine. But in the scenario you laid out, he may not be.

It's all fun to think about. That's why I like this stuff.

Ben

• Senior
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #74 on: August 09, 2018, 03:52:59 am »

2014- Made the CFP
2015- Lost to the eventual national runners up, and to GT on a freak Kick 6 of their own.
2016- Though they had a heisman QB, no excuse to have gotten beat the manner they did vs lville. Shouldn't have lost to UNC, Beat Michigan in the Orange Bowl
2017 - DID NOT HAVE HIS STARTING QB AFTER THE ALABAMA GAME.

You guys forget Clemson in most years had to get by Florida State to win the ACC and it was never easy. CCM of all people should know this, being an OC at Clemson for 4 years. And lets not act like the ACC is just that inferior to the SEC. The SEC in the past 5 years is 27-28 against the ACC.

Face the facts. This isn't Big 12/SWC Texas A&M. This is the same Texas A&M who Arkansas has yet to beat as an SEC opponent. TAMU has a better upgrade at head coach than Arkansas. TAMU has money and a fertile recruiting bed. TAMU is already pulling in talent close to Alabama and UGA and Jimbo hasn't even coached his first season yet. If you guys think TAMU is still going to be a mediocre team under Jimbo, then it's going to be a lot of hurt feelings and bitterness when the time comes.

factchecker

• RAZORBACKS OR NOTHING!
« Reply #75 on: August 09, 2018, 04:08:43 am »

If you guys think TAMU is still going to be a mediocre team under Jimbo, then it's going to be a lot of hurt feelings and bitterness when the time comes.
No.... not really.  We are Razorback fans - not Aggies.  Their success or failure doesn't cause much emotion outside of message board rantings.  We understand that this isn't the same BIG12 Aggie team from 10 years ago.  The days of aggie getting beat by a creampuff G5 team and losing by 77 to Oklahoma are probably over.  If they get better then they will simply be another tough team we have to play year in and year out.

We've been in the SEC for a while now.  We understand that we have to play tough teams.  We don't have the luxury of playing in a conference where half the teams finish below .500 and where recruiting in the 80s puts you at the top.  We get to play against teams full of future NFL players, hall of fame coaches, and in front of 70k every week.

I'd rather fight it out and hopefully win the SEC than be forced to brag about winning the equivalence of a flag football championship in a sub-par conference.

toddfromdesarc

« Reply #76 on: August 09, 2018, 05:04:30 am »

I'd rather fight it out and hopefully win the SEC than be forced to brag about winning the equivalence of a flag football championship in a sub-par conference.

How old are ya? Not sure I'll be around for that fighting it out ends in an SEC title if the last 26 years are anything to base the next 26 on

Ben

• Senior
« Reply #77 on: August 09, 2018, 12:00:56 pm »

What conference outside te SEC is so subpar that its conf championship is the equivalent to flag football? Because as far as im concerned, Alabama has been the one carrying the SEC. Like i said, the ACC is 28-27 vs the SEC in the past 5 years. I dont understand the "SEC" pride. A conf title in a P5 conf will still likely get you in the playoffs or in a big bowl game.

twistitup

« Reply #78 on: August 09, 2018, 12:17:31 pm »

2014- Made the CFP
2015- Lost to the eventual national runners up, and to GT on a freak Kick 6 of their own.
2016- Though they had a heisman QB, no excuse to have Received beat the manner they did vs lville. Shouldn't have lost to UNC, Beat Michigan in the Orange Bowl

You guys forget Clemson in most years had to get by Florida State to win the ACC and it was never easy. CCM of all people should know this, being an OC at Clemson for 4 years. And lets not act like the ACC is just that inferior to the SEC. The SEC in the past 5 years is 27-28 against the ACC.

Face the facts. This isn't Big 12/SWC Texas A&M. This is the same Texas A&M who Arkansas has yet to beat as an SEC opponent. TAMU has a better upgrade at head coach than Arkansas. TAMU has money and a fertile recruiting bed. TAMU is already pulling in talent close to Alabama and UGA and Jimbo hasn't even coached his first season yet. If you guys think TAMU is still going to be a mediocre team under Jimbo, then it's going to be a lot of hurt feelings and bitterness when the time comes.

Because Ben knows it all when it comes to TAMU....such a smart guy

Arkansas Hog in Dallas

« Reply #79 on: August 09, 2018, 12:56:03 pm »

2014- Made the CFP
2016- Though they had a heisman QB, no excuse to have Received beat the manner they did vs lville. Shouldn't have lost to UNC, Beat Michigan in the Orange Bowl

Personally, Iíd rather have Chad Morris than Jimbo.

ThatGUY

• Varsity
« Reply #80 on: August 09, 2018, 01:27:52 pm »

I disagree I think as with most things this is cyclical.... LSU is on the downward slope, and A&M is on the upswing... Of course Bama runs the West, Auburn is stable with Stidham coming back as well as several starters from lasts years team... which leaves Miss St (new coach) Ole Miss (new coach) and Arkansas (new coach) to battle it out for 5th-7th in the west.

Georgia will run the East, because well its the EAST... Missouri has a chance to make noise, as long as Luck stays healthy, Florida will get better with Mullen but it will be a project, not overnight... South Carolina is getting press but not much faith in Muschamp. Tennessee (new coach) Basketball ( is it basketball season yet) and of course Vandy... 

twistitup

« Reply #81 on: August 09, 2018, 01:33:03 pm »

I disagree I think as with most things this is cyclical.... LSU is on the downward slope, and A&M is on the upswing... Of course Bama runs the West, Auburn is stable with Stidham coming back as well as several starters from lasts years team... which leaves Miss St (new coach) Ole Miss (new coach) and Arkansas (new coach) to battle it out for 5th-7th in the west.

Georgia will run the East, because well its the EAST... Missouri has a chance to make noise, as long as Luck stays healthy, Florida will get better with Mullen but it will be a project, not overnight... South Carolina is getting press but not much faith in Muschamp. Tennessee (new coach) Basketball ( is it basketball season yet) and of course Vandy... 

A&M (new coach)...how again do we know they are on the upswing?

rogersvillemohog

« Reply #82 on: August 09, 2018, 02:04:50 pm »

Because Aggies are weird as hell (except for Chad Morris. He's the exception to the rule). In all actuality, I think he'll improve some things at A&M, but to act like he's the next football god of the SEC and going to run Saban out of town is ridiculous. Football is changing. Long gone are the days of 3 yards and a cloud of dust.

Jimbo is a "line em up, run it down their throat, and make em quit" kind of coach. There's nothing wrong with that. It can still be very successful, even in the SEC, but to act like it's going to be a consistent national title formula is incorrect. Even Saban, who detests the spread and HUNH has pretty much all but incorporated it into his football program.

Another factor here is the Bowden to Jimbo pipeline. I know this isn't always the case, but my argument is to look over at what happened to Alvarez and Bielema. Jimbo has never truly built a program. It's a crapshoot to say that you know with certainty that he's going to be able to build A&M into this stellar program. There were plenty of Florida State fans who were "meh" when he left. Just because a formula works at one place (Florida State, Wisconsin) doesn't necessarily mean that it will work in another (Texas A&M, Arkansas). A lot of Arkansas fans beat their chests when we hired Bielema away. It was just a matter of time before we were doing the things that Alabama had been doing and striking fear into the hearts of SEC DL coaches across the south.

I am not saying that any of that is going to happen to Jimbo. We simply don't know. The paint has yet to dry. I guess what irks me about the Jimbo stuff more than anything is this assumption that he's going to walk into the SEC this year, post up, and get 8 or 9 wins simply because he's Jimbo Fisher. It's going to be a difficult rebuild down there to bring in some physicality imo. Getting Clemson and Alabama in the first month doesn't help, but year 1 is always basically year 0 for a new coach. All in all, it's really impossible to say whether or not he will be uber successful or not, and those that act like they've got it figured out one way or another really don't. The amount of money they're giving him for a hope and a dream of being the next Alabama is asinine in my opinion and it would certainly make me very cautious and nervous if it were happening at Arkansas.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 03:18:14 pm by rogersvillemohog »

ThatGUY

• Varsity
« Reply #83 on: August 09, 2018, 03:05:32 pm »

A&M (new coach)...how again do we know they are on the upswing?
LOOK AT RECRUITING!!!!....thats not proof?

HognitiveDissonance

« Reply #84 on: August 09, 2018, 03:11:18 pm »

I'm 100% with you. I never for the life of me figured out why anyone thought A&M joining the SEC was somehow a good thing for Arkansas.
A&M in the SWC being Texas's little brother is totally different than A&M standing on their own in the SEC.
Our biggest recruiting advantage over A&M was 'you can play in the SEC'. Well, now that's gone. We butt heads with A&M much more than Texas on the recruiting trail. Our trump card has been removed.
I'm not scared of A&M, we beat ourselves in the last 5 years as much as they beat us, but the best thing A&M ever did was coming out from under Texas's shadow and joining the SEC.

BBBigChop

• Walk-On
« Reply #85 on: August 09, 2018, 04:32:28 pm »

JMHO, but I think Fisher is the football equivalent of John Calipari: slimy recruiter and barely above average coach who gets bailed out by the talent he buys.

We can be assured the shorthorns are already looking for leverage.  If it exists, they'll find it.

TAMU is not one of the "protected blue bloods", and the NCAA won't hold back if/when the cat gets out of the bag.

With that said, Fisher is good enough and will have enough talent that beating him will be no easy task. 

twistitup

« Reply #86 on: August 09, 2018, 04:49:26 pm »

No.

Proof comes on Saturdays - w's

Recruiting will not save your job, wins will

razorbackfaninar

• Senior
« Reply #87 on: August 09, 2018, 05:04:42 pm »

In 2016 I happen to be watching when Florida State played Louisville. Lousville was drubbing them something like 63-17 with less than a minute to go in the game and Florida state had the ball somewhere around the Louisville 15-yard line I believe and it was 4th and 2. Jimbo kicks a field goal and I told a buddy of mine who is a big Florida State fan that if I was the athletic director I would have come out of the stands and fired him on the spot. My buddy said he would be gone soon and the wheels have totally come off the program and there were many things behind the scenes that were going to get him run off. A year later he was correct. He and many other people say Jimbo took the money from someone who was stupid enough to give it to him and will ease into retirement!

I know this isn't scientific, but Jimbo just looks exhausted.

factchecker

• RAZORBACKS OR NOTHING!
« Reply #88 on: August 09, 2018, 05:09:32 pm »

Charlie Strong put together some top 10 classes at Texas.  He even upset Notre Dame and everybody was saying how Texas was on an "upswing".  Texas was back folks----

Then this happened:

factchecker

• RAZORBACKS OR NOTHING!
« Reply #89 on: August 09, 2018, 05:49:04 pm »

I remember when we hired a coach who won a national championship at an ACC school.

twistitup

« Reply #90 on: August 09, 2018, 05:58:37 pm »

I know this isn't scientific, but Jimbo just looks exhausted.

...can barely even hold these boot up

Iwastherein1969

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #91 on: August 09, 2018, 06:36:08 pm »

...can barely even hold these boot up

those maroon jerseys have to be the most god-awful looking things ever made

ad: a dollar to a donut Jimbo immediately put those things in a bonfire in the back yard

HognitiveDissonance

« Reply #92 on: August 09, 2018, 08:30:43 pm »

"Heh heh heh...what a maroon"---Bugs Bunny

bennyl08

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Ever since the war I've had a drinking problem
« Reply #93 on: August 10, 2018, 12:27:51 am »

The number of people who think aTm won't be much of a threat for the hogs under Jimbo can be counted on a single hand. There is a sizeable portion of people who think they won't be much of a perennial threat to win the national championship which based on their hire/salary, anything less than that would be underachieving.

So, you've already gone over many of the reasons fans should expect the aggies to be quite dangerous in the coming years. So, here, I'll just go over some o the reasons fans think they won't.

1. Bielema. You see people now claiming that the aggies runnies an advanced offense instead of a gimmicky offense is a bad thing. That is simply crazy talk. They've basically had a pro-style roster trying to run a gimmick offense and you've seen the results.

The better Bielema reason for fear lies with the coach itself. Because ANY scheme can be EXTREMELY successful if executed properly. The key lies in the execution and that largely rests at the feet of the coach. Coach takes over a program that already had high success and basically sustains said success, with a slight improvement. That sentence describes Jimbo Fisher just as much as it does Fisher. It's akin to a rich kid taking over their parents billion dollar company and making it a 1.2 billion dollar company. Certainly not a trivial matter. However, take that same rich kid and put them in a mom and pop pizza shop where they have to go from working 20 hours a week, signing some papers, making a few decisions, to working 80+ hours a week and doing physical, laborious work. Can Jimbo do that? It's very possible. However, we've seen up close that Morris could just as easily pull a Bielema as he could do a Saban.

2. Team talent. Arkansas and the Aggies have been about as close talent level wise over the past decade as any two teams possibly could be. 7 of the past 9 games have been 1 possession games into the fourth quarter dating back to the first game we've played as part of the recent series. The only two games that weren't neck and neck were Petrino's first game where we blew them out and in 2012 when they blew us out. Otherwise, I think it's 3 of the past 4 games have gone into overtime as well.

Aggies have had elite talent with a host of first round draft picks, but their talent has been very shallow with the hogs having more overall draft picks. The only difference between us winning the first 3 games and them winning the last 6 has been coaching. Our best coach in a long while struggled to beat Sherman who many considered a sub-par aggie coach. Next, Sumlin, considered one of the better aTm coaches in a good while struggled to beat Bielema, one of Arkansas worst coaches in a while.

The talent level has been so close that coaching changes have barely been able to move the needle. It's possible that both schools could have upgraded coaches, but if Arkansas had a bigger upgrade, that could be enough to push the needle back to our favor even if Fisher is overall a better coach than Morris.

3. Historical precedent. This is your "aggies gonna aggie". Sure, there's always a first for everything, but it typically safer to bet the trend than to predict a crazy twist. It's the same reason I can guarantee that Arkansas could hire Saban and there'd be a sizeable portion of opposing fan bases that wouldn't worry too much since we are Arkansas and we'll find some way to get bitten by a snake.

In the past 23 seasons, Aggies have finished in the top 10 just once, and that required having 3 first round OL players, a first round qb, a first round WR, 2nd round RB, not to mention a fourth OL player drafted and a second NFL receiver whose played above his draft position, as well as a consensus first team all-american defensive end, just for good measure. Outside of that one season, they've finished a season ranked at all in just 2 of the other past 17 seasons (for a total of 3 of the past 18). That's not to say we've been swimming in more success, but we haven't had as much hype as they have either. And that, is the heart of "aggies gonna aggie".

Iwastherein1969

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #94 on: August 10, 2018, 01:39:55 am »

The number of people who think aTm won't be much of a threat for the hogs under Jimbo can be counted on a single hand. There is a sizeable portion of people who think they won't be much of a perennial threat to win the national championship which based on their hire/salary, anything less than that would be underachieving.

So, you've already gone over many of the reasons fans should expect the aggies to be quite dangerous in the coming years. So, here, I'll just go over some o the reasons fans think they won't.

1. Bielema. You see people now claiming that the aggies runnies an advanced offense instead of a gimmicky offense is a bad thing. That is simply crazy talk. They've basically had a pro-style roster trying to run a gimmick offense and you've seen the results.

The better Bielema reason for fear lies with the coach itself. Because ANY scheme can be EXTREMELY successful if executed properly. The key lies in the execution and that largely rests at the feet of the coach. Coach takes over a program that already had high success and basically sustains said success, with a slight improvement. That sentence describes Jimbo Fisher just as much as it does Fisher. It's akin to a rich kid taking over their parents billion dollar company and making it a 1.2 billion dollar company. Certainly not a trivial matter. However, take that same rich kid and put them in a mom and pop pizza shop where they have to go from working 20 hours a week, signing some papers, making a few decisions, to working 80+ hours a week and doing physical, laborious work. Can Jimbo do that? It's very possible. However, we've seen up close that Morris could just as easily pull a Bielema as he could do a Saban.

2. Team talent. Arkansas and the Aggies have been about as close talent level wise over the past decade as any two teams possibly could be. 7 of the past 9 games have been 1 possession games into the fourth quarter dating back to the first game we've played as part of the recent series. The only two games that weren't neck and neck were Petrino's first game where we blew them out and in 2012 when they blew us out. Otherwise, I think it's 3 of the past 4 games have gone into overtime as well.

Aggies have had elite talent with a host of first round draft picks, but their talent has been very shallow with the hogs having more overall draft picks. The only difference between us winning the first 3 games and them winning the last 6 has been coaching. Our best coach in a long while struggled to beat Sherman who many considered a sub-par aggie coach. Next, Sumlin, considered one of the better aTm coaches in a good while struggled to beat Bielema, one of Arkansas worst coaches in a while.

The talent level has been so close that coaching changes have barely been able to move the needle. It's possible that both schools could have upgraded coaches, but if Arkansas had a bigger upgrade, that could be enough to push the needle back to our favor even if Fisher is overall a better coach than Morris.

3. Historical precedent. This is your "aggies gonna aggie". Sure, there's always a first for everything, but it typically safer to bet the trend than to predict a crazy twist. It's the same reason I can guarantee that Arkansas could hire Saban and there'd be a sizeable portion of opposing fan bases that wouldn't worry too much since we are Arkansas and we'll find some way to get bitten by a snake.

In the past 23 seasons, Aggies have finished in the top 10 just once, and that required having 3 first round OL players, a first round qb, a first round WR, 2nd round RB, not to mention a fourth OL player drafted and a second NFL receiver whose played above his draft position, as well as a consensus first team all-american defensive end, just for good measure. Outside of that one season, they've finished a season ranked at all in just 2 of the other past 17 seasons (for a total of 3 of the past 18). That's not to say we've been swimming in more success, but we haven't had as much hype as they have either. And that, is the heart of "aggies gonna aggie".
You wrote a novel just to tell us "Aggy gonna Aggy" ? I should have read Jim Goad's REDNECK MANIFESTO before the above crap.

Ben

• Senior
« Reply #95 on: August 10, 2018, 02:08:25 am »

some fans are really so stuck in the past that they can't get a grip on what's happening right now. To simply address those fan reasons why they think TAMU won't be dangerous, has TAMU ever had a coach that has won a national title and been to 5 straight major bowl games (won 3) in only 7 years in his previous job? Has TAMU ever been in the top 5 for any future recruiting class like they are now for class of 2019?  Or Top 10  like 2020? The sooner people stop living in the past and use common sense, the better. Till then, they are going to be looking the same way they have been for the past 6 years if TAMU beats Arkansas again. Besides, why is "aggies gonna aggie" a thing when Arkansas has a solid history of screwing up a wet dream?

liljo

« Reply #96 on: August 10, 2018, 09:23:06 am »

some fans are really so stuck in the past that they can't get a grip on what's happening right now. To simply address those fan reasons why they think TAMU won't be dangerous, has TAMU ever had a coach that has won a national title and been to 5 straight major bowl games (won 3) in only 7 years in his previous job? Has TAMU ever been in the top 5 for any future recruiting class like they are now for class of 2019?  Or Top 10  like 2020? The sooner people stop living in the past and use common sense, the better. Till then, they are going to be looking the same way they have been for the past 6 years if TAMU beats Arkansas again. Besides, why is "aggies gonna aggie" a thing when Arkansas has a solid history of screwing up a wet dream?

Oh, I can answer that one for ya! It's 'cause Aggies gonna Aggie! Get it? Got it? Good.

Go Hogs.

Ben

• Senior
« Reply #97 on: September 12, 2018, 01:05:25 am »

Well i think it's obvious after last week, Texas A&M is a real threat and especially to Arkansas. May be another 3-5 years until we see Arkansas beat TAMU again.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas