• 10,013,888 Posts
• 401,388 Topics
• 22,976 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Official PGA Championship Thread  (Read 3667 times)

Wildhog

Re: Official PGA Championship Thread
« Reply #100 on: August 12, 2018, 08:48:29 pm »

Had a blast watching today.  It’s just so much more fun when Tiger is in contention.

colbs

« Reply #101 on: August 12, 2018, 08:52:41 pm »

I saw that too.  It looked to me like there was five yards or so of hazard on that side of the creek and Tiger’s ball was in it.

Also, though he played well, Tiger still choked...at least by his standards.  There were two times on the back today that he could have grabbed that tournament by the throat.  Both times he fanned his tee shot way right.  He made a bogy once and a par on the easiest hole on the course the other time. 
I wish I were good enough where a 64 was considered a choke.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

colbs

« Reply #102 on: August 12, 2018, 08:54:54 pm »

Tiger is really really close to winning again.  I mean he couldn’t hit the fairway today and shot a 64.  I wouldn’t be surprised if he wins the Masters or Open next year. 

MikePiazza

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Chicks dig the long ball
« Reply #103 on: August 12, 2018, 09:32:54 pm »

T6 and solo second at the Open and PGA. Had solo lead at the Open on the back. 2019 could be a scary good year.

I think it's almost a virtual certainty he will break Snead's all-time wins mark (82). He only needs to win four more tournaments before he's 50. Even the biggest Tiger homers on earth would admit it's going to be almost impossible to break Jack's majors record.

Barring another setback or injury, he should win at least win 1-2 more majors, three at the most. I'd wager he ends his career with 87 or 88 Tour wins.

GolfNut57

« Reply #104 on: August 12, 2018, 09:57:21 pm »

I bet all of the TigerBators had their best one man sex they've had in the last decade today. Their hero almost pulled off a magical win in a major.  ;)

MikePiazza

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Chicks dig the long ball
« Reply #105 on: August 12, 2018, 10:07:09 pm »

I bet all of the TigerBators had their best one man sex they've had in the last decade today. Their hero almost pulled off a magical win in a major.  ;)

TigerBators, that's actually pretty good.

pigture perfect

« Reply #106 on: August 12, 2018, 10:07:28 pm »

Tiger being relevant once in 6 years and everyone goes nuts. Wow!

cosmodrum

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Today, we are teaching poodles how to fly...
« Reply #107 on: August 12, 2018, 10:22:35 pm »

Sorry I dont hate greatness

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #108 on: August 12, 2018, 10:43:46 pm »

Not if you are a golf fan.

Seriously, you have to be wacko to try and justify your argument after this tournament.  Did you see the turnout for Tiger? 

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #109 on: August 12, 2018, 10:48:29 pm »

I'm not for sure if he was in the hazard although I certainly think so. But I KNOW FOR SURE he grounded his club. I was watching that very closely.

You could not see that, your telling yourself that because your feelings for the guy.

I’m not saying he did or didn’t, but the camera angle was not one to tell. He was for sure in the hazzard because he couldn’t get relief from it being plugged. Which they showed very clearly, I wonder how you could miss that yet see him supposedly ground his club

hoglady

« Reply #110 on: August 12, 2018, 10:49:44 pm »

Tiger being relevant once in 6 years and everyone goes nuts. Wow!

I just hate to see someone who has been as truly great as Tiger - end his career without regaining some of his old self and being relevant again. I hope he can carry it forward for a while.

Iwastherein1969

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Home is where ya hang your hat, nice colors though
« Reply #111 on: August 13, 2018, 12:56:00 am »

You could not see that, your telling yourself that because your feelings for the guy.

I’m not saying he did or didn’t, but the camera angle was not one to tell. He was for sure in the hazzard because he couldn’t get relief from it being plugged. Which they showed very clearly, I wonder how you could miss that yet see him supposedly ground his club
I said I believe he grounded his club...still do..I'd love to see a still photo on that shot, if I am wrong, I'll admit it....Tiger played as lucky and as well as he can possibly play and still lost by 2 to a guy who lipped out 4 birdies inside 8 feet...Woods hit zero fairways on the front side and still went out in -3 and then proceeded to play the inward 9 quite well...I've tried to find the total number of putts today for Woods but it has to be under 25...in other words, Woods cannot play better than he played today and still got beat

colbs

« Reply #112 on: August 13, 2018, 01:12:52 am »

I said I believe he grounded his club...still do..I'd love to see a still photo on that shot, if I am wrong, I'll admit it....Tiger played as lucky and as well as he can possibly play and still lost by 2 to a guy who lipped out 4 birdies inside 8 feet...Woods hit zero fairways on the front side and still went out in -3 and then proceeded to play the inward 9 quite well...I've tried to find the total number of putts today for Woods but it has to be under 25...in other words, Woods cannot play better than he played today and still got beat
Well he could have hit more fairways and had two putts that missed by a cenimeter.  No matter how you slice it he has came a long time ways from where he was a year ago.  Top 10 finish in last two majors.  If he can get his driver going in 2019 he has a really good chance at getting another major. 
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 06:59:56 am by colbs »

Jackrabbit Hog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • 6/27/18: Just another layer of scar tissue
« Reply #113 on: August 13, 2018, 06:53:32 am »

I just hate to see someone who has been as truly great as Tiger - end his career without regaining some of his old self and being relevant again. I hope he can carry it forward for a while.

Had he managed to win today, he should have immediately announced his retirement on the 18th green.  The equivalent of a World Series walk-off home run by a future Hall of Famer.

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs and Go Mike Anderson!
« Reply #114 on: August 13, 2018, 07:19:18 am »

Here's to his health.

kingofdequeen

« Reply #115 on: August 13, 2018, 08:06:17 am »

Woods/CapAmerica fourball team about to happen.

hawg66

« Reply #116 on: August 13, 2018, 08:07:14 am »

My biggest problem with Tiger is the over the top coverage. Koepke wins his third major in 14 months and Tiger is the story. Great golf happening al over the course and the cameras spend five minutes following him from the green to the next tee box. Tiger played great. He shouldn’t have been the big story IMO

kingofdequeen

« Reply #117 on: August 13, 2018, 08:08:50 am »

My biggest problem with Tiger is the over the top coverage. Koepke wins his third major in 14 months and Tiger is the story. Great golf happening al over the course and the cameras spend five minutes following him from the green to the next tee box. Tiger played great. He shouldn’t have been the big story IMO

tiger is back.

http://larrybrownsports.com/golf/brooks-koepkas-girlfriend-jena-sims-hug-tiger-woods/459713

golf2day

• Hogvillian
  • Giving Eastex a hard-on since 1997
« Reply #118 on: August 13, 2018, 08:26:53 am »

Ton of cameras on Arnie missing the cut at his last tourney and MJ in a Wizards uni, too. If you’re great they gonna film you in the bathroom. It is what it is.

EastexHawg

« Reply #119 on: August 13, 2018, 08:48:35 am »

Peter Kostis said the same thing at least three times yesterday afternoon.  Meanwhile, the guy he was saying it to...Jim Nantz...kept right on with the non-stop Tiger talk. 

I won't be the least bit surprised if we hear about Kostis' "retirement" soon.

kingofdequeen

« Reply #120 on: August 13, 2018, 08:54:21 am »

Kostis is awful so gtfo. 

Iwastherein1969

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #121 on: August 13, 2018, 09:34:59 am »

tiger is back.

http://larrybrownsports.com/golf/brooks-koepkas-girlfriend-jena-sims-hug-tiger-woods/459713

maybe you have some serious competition in becoming Woods' new lover....I know I'd put my money on Jena instead of the KingofDeQueen in who will ultimately allow Tiger inside their, errgh, uh, heart ?

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #122 on: August 13, 2018, 09:35:16 am »

While you could make a more than reasonable argument in the past Tiger's coverage has been over the top, yesterday they really were showing the one person charging up the leaderboard.  He shot a 64 and was always within reach until the end.  So yesterday it made since to me.  Go back to just last year, JT was garnishing all the coverage as he charged up the leaderboard and I think was Kisner faulted back. 

Not to mention it's obvious Tiger brings out higher viewing and attendance.

Iwastherein1969

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #123 on: August 13, 2018, 10:40:45 am »

Not quite full proof Woods' grounded his club in the hazard on #17 but 99% sure he did...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-kam9k9wa0    I have never seen anyone forward press with the club clearly off the deck...look at the clip beginning at 7:06 he's fine club off the ground then at 7:07/7:08 Woods lowers the club even further on the deck, forward presses and hits the ball...No one will call foul because it's too much of a 'feel good' story for golf and the vast majority of it's fans...but I've not seen anyone forward press with the club off the ground hitting the ball off the deck...maybe 20 handicappers because they don't know any better, but watch PGA players in a trap you might see them take the club back and look once or twice but I don't recall seeing a playing pro "forward press" while in a trap....truth is, doesn't really matter about other players anyway, Woods grounded his 8 iron on #17 on Sunday in the 2018 PGA

hawg66

« Reply #124 on: August 13, 2018, 10:46:22 am »

Tiger shot the lowest score he’s ever had over four rounds in a Major, and lost by two strokes. Tell me again what the story should have been?  Unlike JT’s charge, Tiger never got the lead and Koepke never faltered. Show Tiger’s great shots. Great shots are why I watch golf. But don’t dolt on him. He walks from green to tee box about like every other golfer.

hawg66

« Reply #125 on: August 13, 2018, 10:52:31 am »

Not quite full proof Woods' grounded his club in the hazard on #17 but 99% sure he did...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-kam9k9wa0    I have never seen anyone forward press with the club clearly off the deck...look at the clip beginning at 7:06 he's fine club off the ground then at 7:07/7:08 Woods lowers the club even further on the deck, forward presses and hits the ball...No one will call foul because it's too much of a 'feel good' story for golf and the vast majority of it's fans...but I've not seen anyone forward press with the club off the ground hitting the ball off the deck...maybe 20 handicappers because they don't know any better, but watch PGA players in a trap you might see them take the club back and look once or twice but I don't recall seeing a playing pro "forward press" while in a trap....truth is, doesn't really matter about other players anyway, Woods grounded his 8 iron on #17 on Sunday in the 2018 PGA
LOL. That’s evidence of someone trying too hard to see something that wasn’t there. I seriously couldn’t tell anything by that video and I don’t believe Tiger would do something that stupid while in contention for a Major.

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #126 on: August 13, 2018, 10:55:02 am »

Thanks for posting the video, it further shows your feelings for tiger are clouded by how desperate you are for him not be relevant.  Sadly, your post including the video showed more about you than anything, like telling on yourself.

There is no forward press as if he was grounding the leading edge of that iron.  Keep reaching... 

hoglady

« Reply #127 on: August 13, 2018, 10:55:48 am »

Switch Tiger's name with say Jack Nicklaus or Arnold Palmer late in their careers and let's not kid ourselves that TV and the announcers wouldn't have handled them the same way. They would have been a huge part of the story just like Tiger was.

When you've witnessed true greatness from athletes in any sport over a long period of time - they will get a large part of the publicity. I thought the overall coverage was pretty good - no one can deny the excitement of the crowd around Tiger.

Wisco Pig

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame Hogvillian
« Reply #128 on: August 13, 2018, 11:04:08 am »

Switch Tiger's name with say Jack Nicklaus or Arnold Palmer late in their careers and let's not kid ourselves that TV and the announcers wouldn't have handled them the same way. They would have been a huge part of the story just like Tiger was.

When you've witnessed true greatness from athletes in any sport over a long period of time - they will get a large part of the publicity. I thought the overall coverage was pretty good - no one can deny the excitement of the crowd around Tiger.

Exactly right.   In fact, I remember watching golf as a kid and wondering why on earth so much attention was paid to Palmer, who was well past his prime by then.   (As I got older, I realized:  Because he was Arnold Palmer, that's why.) 

colbs

« Reply #129 on: August 13, 2018, 11:15:16 am »

Look at ratings and you will know why they were talking so much about Tiger.  They weren’t tuning in for Brooks, Thomas, or Scott...

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #130 on: August 13, 2018, 11:40:57 am »

Look at ratings and you will know why they were talking so much about Tiger.  They weren’t tuning in for Brooks, Thomas, or Scott...

69% more viewers than last year...

Jackrabbit Hog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #131 on: August 13, 2018, 11:50:28 am »

Does anybody know why all the Perkins locations are closed today?

Iwastherein1969

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #132 on: August 13, 2018, 11:52:20 am »

Thanks for posting the video, it further shows your feelings for tiger are clouded by how desperate you are for him not be relevant.  Sadly, your post including the video showed more about you than anything, like telling on yourself.

There is no forward press as if he was grounding the leading edge of that iron.  Keep reaching...
Woods didn't make a full blown forward press, but he did use the forward press on that shot....if your blind idolatry for the guy doesn't allow you to see he lowered the club even further than when he first addressed the ball, well, you need to see your local optometrist....lastly, desperation for Woods not to be relevant is not part of my life because 100's of millions of people love the guy no matter what I think about him. If I had not shown the video, you'd be asking for proof therefore I posted what I believe is proof he grounded his club. Put it this way, 15 years ago, some guy like Bob May, Rocco Mediate or Chris DiMarco would have folded like a bad pump tent under the pressure. No longer. Name one sport where the leader of the pack has maybe 10% of the fans following his play (which by the way was superior to Woods as far as ball striking) and yet has the stones to easily hold off an icon of the game. I feel for Koepka, how would you like to be basically crapped on by the vast majority of the audience yet win easily. It's a shame. If you have read all of my posts about Woods you would realize my ONLY problem with him is his deportment on the course. I think Tiger's forced hiatus from golf has mellowed him and that is good to see. I admire the man's game, his iron game is unmatched when he is on. So don't paint me as this 'super hater' where it concerns Woods. Read ALL of my post about him before you start throwing accusations about me.

colbs

« Reply #133 on: August 13, 2018, 12:23:27 pm »

Woods didn't make a full blown forward press, but he did use the forward press on that shot....if your blind idolatry for the guy doesn't allow you to see he lowered the club even further than when he first addressed the ball, well, you need to see your local optometrist....lastly, desperation for Woods not to be relevant is not part of my life because 100's of millions of people love the guy no matter what I think about him. If I had not shown the video, you'd be asking for proof therefore I posted what I believe is proof he grounded his club. Put it this way, 15 years ago, some guy like Bob May, Rocco Mediate or Chris DiMarco would have folded like a bad pump tent under the pressure. No longer. Name one sport where the leader of the pack has maybe 10% of the fans following his play (which by the way was superior to Woods as far as ball striking) and yet has the stones to easily hold off an icon of the game. I feel for Koepka, how would you like to be basically crapped on by the vast majority of the audience yet win easily. It's a shame. If you have read all of my posts about Woods you would realize my ONLY problem with him is his deportment on the course. I think Tiger's forced hiatus from golf has mellowed him and that is good to see. I admire the man's game, his iron game is unmatched when he is on. So don't paint me as this 'super hater' where it concerns Woods. Read ALL of my post about him before you start throwing accusations about me.
I mean credit Koepka for playing good and not folding.  At the same time he started the day with a 4 stroke lead over Tiger and wasn’t paired with Tiger.  Who knows what would happen if it was a one shot lead and they were in the final group together.  I knew it was going to be tough for Tiger with so many heavy hitters at the top going into Sunday.  He was going to go low and needed some help.  With all the of the big names he still took 2nd outright.  Tiger went -17 the last 70 holes.

hawg66

« Reply #134 on: August 13, 2018, 12:29:55 pm »

I shot 78 yesterday if you don’t count that triple on 15

Jackrabbit Hog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #135 on: August 13, 2018, 12:31:03 pm »

Woods/CapAmerica fourball team about to happen.

Nope.  Furyk won't break up the Spieth/Reed team.  Woods will get one of the young kids to "mentor."  Maybe Schauffele if he makes it or, God forbid, DeShambo if he gets picked.

Prediction:  The new team to be reckoned with for the ol' USofA this time around will be Koepka and Dustin Johnson.  Book it.  4-0-0 as a team.

Hawgndaaz

« Reply #136 on: August 13, 2018, 12:33:24 pm »

I was there yesterday and it was absolutely insane. Never seen anything like it. The energy and buzz in that crowd cant be replicated in any sport with any athlete. People were 40 or 50 deep on the back nine. Such a great time. Congrats to Brooks.

golf2day

• Hogvillian
« Reply #137 on: August 13, 2018, 12:34:13 pm »

I shot 78 yesterday if you don’t count that triple on 15
I bet if you’d won 14 majors you’d have cameras following you around while you did it, too.

You’d even have some fans conjuring up penalties on you because they couldn’t stand the fact that you can actually still make it around the course.

hawg66

« Reply #138 on: August 13, 2018, 12:34:41 pm »

We can only guess but I’d say if Tiger and Koepke were paired yesterday that Koepka’s driving might have broken Tiger’s game. As it was it broke his heart.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 02:26:58 pm by hawg66 »

golf2day

• Hogvillian
« Reply #139 on: August 13, 2018, 12:35:36 pm »

Prediction:  The new team to be reckoned with for the ol' USofA this time around will be Koepka and Dustin Johnson.  Book it.  4-0-0 as a team.
Whole lotta driver-wedge in that group.

hawg66

« Reply #140 on: August 13, 2018, 12:38:07 pm »

I bet if you’d won 14 majors you’d have cameras following you around while you did it, too.

You’d even have some fans conjuring up penalties on you because they couldn’t stand the fact that you can actually still make it around the course.
Hey I’d love it. I’d have a whole board full of folks making excuses for me. I usually have to justify my bad holes myself. Be nice to have a crew for that 😉

Wildhog

« Reply #141 on: August 13, 2018, 01:03:59 pm »

Hey I’d love it. I’d have a whole board full of folks making excuses for me. I usually have to justify my bad holes myself. Be nice to have a crew for that

Become one of the two greatest golfers ever and it'll happen!

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #142 on: August 13, 2018, 01:09:49 pm »

Reading that makes me feel like someone hit me in the head with a 9 iron

hawg66

« Reply #143 on: August 13, 2018, 01:48:46 pm »

Become one of the two greatest golfers ever and it'll happen!
unfortunately....

Like I said I have no problems with showing Tiger hitting golf shots. Following him around to watch him walk?  Nah, that’s not why I watch golf. Just me though. Obviously

Dr. Starcs

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Tell me what you don't like about yourself.
« Reply #144 on: August 13, 2018, 02:09:58 pm »

Tiger’s not back. The old tiger would’ve never been so thrilled to finish 2nd place.

99toLife

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Crazy Times Make Crazy people Crazier!!!!
« Reply #145 on: August 13, 2018, 02:20:16 pm »

Tiger’s not back. The old tiger would’ve never been so thrilled to finish 2nd place.

I disagree, He knows his game is coming back.  He's looking forward. 

Jackrabbit Hog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #146 on: August 13, 2018, 02:34:31 pm »

Whole lotta driver-wedge in that group.

Koepka's having the career that DJ could have and probably should have had.  Yeah, DJ has won a ton of tournaments and money, plus that one major, but he's probably got more natural athletic talent for a golfer than anyone out there, perhaps ever.  Powerful, fluid swing.  But I still don't think he's got the fire the great ones all have had, and he's prone to some really curious, uninspired stretches of tournaments.  Koepka, on the other hand, as we've all read now, has that Nolan Richardson sized chip on his shoulder that he feeds off of for motivation.  But I understand the two of them are very good friends and workout buddies, so I think they'd make a natural team for the Ryder Cup.

majestic

« Reply #147 on: August 13, 2018, 02:58:31 pm »

Reading that makes me feel like someone hit me in the head with a 9 iron
Agreed. And WTH is deportment?

cosmodrum

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Today, we are teaching poodles how to fly...
« Reply #148 on: August 13, 2018, 03:20:55 pm »

Do people realize that Koepka said himself he doesn't like golf because it's boring? And that this week (before Sunday) he said his 2 favorite golfers growing up were Adam Scott and Tiger Woods? Feel sorry for him winning the PGA and making millions of dollars playing a game he thinks is boring?

Boo. Hoo.

Iwastherein1969

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #149 on: August 13, 2018, 03:21:14 pm »

Agreed. And WTH is deportment?
you may want to delete that last question posed....it's proof positive of your sheer unadulterated ignorance
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas