• 396,355 Topics
• 22,570 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Poll

What SEC games do you think Arkansas will win?

@ Auburn
vs Texas A&M (Dallas)
Alabama
vs Ole Miss (Little Rock)
Vanderbilt
LSU
@ Miss St
@ Missouri

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: What SEC games do you predict Arkansas will win?  (Read 2313 times)

factchecker

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • RAZORBACKS OR NOTHING!
Re: What SEC games do you predict Arkansas will win?
« Reply #50 on: August 08, 2018, 01:26:55 pm »

Why do our fans say every year that we will beat A&M? We havenít beat them since they joined the SEC and we wonít beat them this year either. If we somehow pull out a win this year I will come back here and eat crow from everyone who picked this game as a win. Fisher is recruiting very well there so far, heís one of what...5 active coaches to have won a NC? He will do well at A&M IMO.

Yes I know, we came close a couple of times to beating A&M, but the fact is, we still lost and still havenít won against them since joining the SEC. LSU would be before A&M.

The only wins I see this year in the SEC is Vandy and Ole Miss. I hope we win more, but I am not getting my hopes up to win more than 4-5 games this year. Anything past that is a successful season for Morris IMO.

Why do some hog "fans" predict us to lose to Ole Miss every season.  Our worst coach in recent history (Bielema) beat them 4 years in a row despite them paying players.

Yes I know, they came close a couple of times to beating us, but the fact is, they still lost and they haven't beat us in 4 years.  LSU would be before Ole Miss.

see how that goes - the past doesn't predict the future but I still see people using the past to come up with their expectations.  Every year a fan will pick us to beat AnM and every year some fan will pick us to get beat by Ole Miss.  I'd rather be the positive fan who picks us to win but who knows - maybe it will flip flop this season and we will be the aggies while ole miss pulls the upset.

phadedhawg

« Reply #51 on: August 08, 2018, 01:32:22 pm »

Vandy and Ole Miss though I could see OM beating us this year. 

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

hogsfan31

• Senior
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #52 on: August 08, 2018, 01:32:57 pm »

Why do some hog "fans" predict us to lose to Ole Miss every season.  Our worst coach in recent history (Bielema) beat them 4 years in a row despite them paying players.

Yes I know, they came close a couple of times to beating us, but the fact is, they still lost and they haven't beat us in 4 years.  LSU would be before Ole Miss.

see how that goes - the past doesn't predict the future but I still see people using the past to come up with their expectations.  Every year a fan will pick us to beat AnM and every year some fan will pick us to get beat by Ole Miss.  I'd rather be the positive fan who picks us to win but who knows - maybe it will flip flop this season and we will be the aggies while ole miss pulls the upset.

Wouldnít that be something!

factchecker

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • RAZORBACKS OR NOTHING!
« Reply #53 on: August 08, 2018, 01:38:55 pm »

Wouldnít that be something!
I'd love beating AnM but losing to Ole Miss in wms would be awful.... the infighting would be miserable.

Let's continue to beat Ole Miss but have AnM beat LSU and lose to us instead.

Ex-Trumpet

• Gold Hogvillian
  • When life gives you lemons, get a boob job!
« Reply #54 on: August 08, 2018, 02:24:29 pm »

While I do think Jimbo will win a national championship at TAMU, this is going to be a rough year for him. Much like it was for Bielema. Heís transitioning to a pro style, physical offense from a spread offense. Itís going to take time to get his players and install that kind of offense. Thatís the only reason I think we have a chance at beating them THIS year. If they can get that offense rolling early then Iíll consider this a loss. I think the common denominator with this Arkansas team and the new staff is that they all have a bone to pick with TAMU. Chad wanted that job, they passed on him, Chavisí legacy as a great D coordinator is in question because of his time at TAMU, and these players have never beat them. Thereís going to be a lot of emotion going into this game.

Lol, Jimbo won't sniff a NC at aTm!!

toddfromdesarc

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #55 on: August 08, 2018, 02:29:18 pm »

Sumlin led aTm to the best six year run in the entire history of their program.

Slocum from 90-95: 60-11-2 .822 winning percentage
Sherrill from 83-88: 47-22-1 .671 winning percentage
Sumlin: 51-27 .653 winning percentage

I musta missed something in math class.

TexHog188

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Touchdown Arkansas!
« Reply #56 on: August 08, 2018, 03:05:02 pm »

Auburn, Alabama  Losses

LSU, MSST, MISSouri, aTm Toss Ups

OleMS, Vander  Should win.

ALLVOL

« Reply #57 on: August 08, 2018, 03:23:47 pm »

Not picking a fight whatsoever, but I'm just curious as to why so many folks think Jimbo will have a tough time.

He had 6 10+ win seasons at Florida State and won a national championship. Now he's at the school that has arguably the most money in the country to spend on resources, facilities, amenities, assistants, etc.

The one thing we can say is that yeah, now he's in the SEC West which is tougher than the ACC Atlantic.

But is it recruiting (right now he has A&M ranked 3rd on 247 in recruiting)? Player development? Scheme? Overall coaching ability?
I think he came up short in several seasons at FSU in the ACC and struggled against inferior teams regularly. I don't think he's a great game day coach. When you have the much more talented team in 90% of the games you play and struggle in MANY of those games and lose some... it speaks volumes.

Lud42

• Bench Warmer
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #58 on: August 08, 2018, 03:37:46 pm »

Slocum from 90-95: 60-11-2 .822 winning percentage
Sumlin: 51-27 .653 winning percentage

I musta missed something in math class.

I stand corrected, but 90-95 should definitely carry an asterisk. I mean, that was still SWC minus Arkansas and basically the entire conference on probation and in a death spiral.

"The period of the late 1980s and early 1990s would be detrimental to all football programs in the Southwest Conference. At that time all schools (except Rice University) were under scrutiny by the NCAA as sanctions were imposed due to violations of NCAA regulations and recruiting rules, with Texas facing their third recruiting violation in the last 20 years.[28] The school that would suffer the most from the infractions was the SMU football program as they were handed the "death penalty" from the NCAA in which there would be no team for two years and no games would be televised. The sanction handed to SMU would prove pivotal for other Southwest Conference schools as blue-chip recruits in the state of Texas would begin signing letters of intent to play in schools outside of the Southwest Conference and the state of Texas." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Texas_Longhorns_football

SWC from 90-95 (less Arkansas)

SMU (11-39-2. They had just come off the death penalty for the 89 season) 0-0 bowl record
Rice (28-38-1, but did win the conference in 94 with a 5-6 record.) 0-0 bowl record
Baylor (40-28-1, pretty good run by Baylor standards, but like aTm, also a function of a weak schedule) 1-2 bowl record
Houston (10-1 in 90, but on probation. 12-42 the rest of the time period) 0-0 bowl record
TCU- (31-35-1, Tied Rice for conference in 94 at 7-5 overall) 0-1 bowl record
Texas Tech (36-33 about how Tech always was under Spike Dykes.)1-2 bowl record
Texas (10-2 in 1990. Lost the Cotton that year to Miami 46-3. 10-2-1 in 95, but lost to Va Tech 28-10 in Sugar. Overall Texas was 44-24-2 during this time period.) 1-2 bowl record

Including aTm's 2-3 bowl record (and Arkansas' 0-1) the entire SWC was 4-8 in the post season during the period.

Non conference was basic garbage during this time. You see LSU on the schedule during these years and think that lends some heft, but remember the Tigers were 23-32-1 during this time period. Definite low point in the program.

Kind of like KState in the early 2000s when they got to play the Big XII North which was good for 4 guaranteed wins (Iowa St., Mizzou, Colorado, Kansas) and 4 sisters of the poor in non-con. They had 8 wins baked into the schedule every year and often caught Ok St/ Texas Tech/ Baylor/ aTm (who was pretty bad back then) from the south. There were several years that less than 10 wins for KState would have meant they were actually a pretty bad team, but winning 10 didn't really prove much.

aTm in the early to mid 90s was in pretty much the same boat. Sumlin definitely accomplished his record against much, much stiffer competition.

TheRazorback500

• It's better to burn out than fade away.
« Reply #59 on: August 08, 2018, 07:08:32 pm »

Just 2 this year, Vandy and Ole Miss. We're not deep enough yet, and we've already got too many front line players out with injuries. We've got to stay healthy if we want a chance to win any other than those two.

SugarHillGaHog

• Varsity
« Reply #60 on: August 08, 2018, 07:27:46 pm »

I checked all but Alabama.  I have high expectations.  I see no need to set them low even if it's realistic or not.  I probably should have check Bama too.  I bet the players and coaches don't set low expectations for themselves either.  Oh sure I'll be disappointed if they lose but go for it!

LZH

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Tight but Loose
« Reply #61 on: August 08, 2018, 07:34:29 pm »

I agree, but I believe we can beat LSU this year

Can't bring myself to think LSU will be less than really good this season. Cajun Ed is a helluva coach and recruiter, but a lousy head coach for some reason.  Surely this time around he will allow his assistants to be more involved in the overall scheme of things, to delegate. If they flop this year, he may be the most talented piss poor coach to lead a Top 10 program in a long, long time.

murthage

« Reply #62 on: August 08, 2018, 11:12:34 pm »

Not picking a fight whatsoever, but I'm just curious as to why so many folks think Jimbo will have a tough time.

He had 6 10+ win seasons at Florida State and won a national championship. Now he's at the school that has arguably the most money in the country to spend on resources, facilities, amenities, assistants, PLAYERS, etc.

The one thing we can say is that yeah, now he's in the SEC West which is tougher than the ACC Atlantic.

But is it recruiting (right now he has A&M ranked 3rd on 247 in recruiting)? Player development? Scheme? Overall coaching ability?

Fixed it for you....... ;)

BBBigChop

• Walk-On
« Reply #63 on: August 09, 2018, 08:56:36 am »

This is a hard question because I just don't know how good everyone else will be, not to mention our own question marks.

I land in the camp that believes last yr's 4-8 record misrepresented the talent on the roster, so that gives me hope.  But the unpredictability of a coaching transition lowers my expectations. 

I have to believe we beat OM (the Rebs might be tougher than people think) and Vandy at home, then get Mizzou on the road.

I'm more optimistic than this post indicates, but it's guarded optimism. 

toddfromdesarc

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #64 on: August 09, 2018, 09:51:16 am »

I stand corrected, but 90-95 should definitely carry an asterisk. I mean, that was still SWC minus Arkansas and basically the entire conference on probation and in a death spiral.

"The period of the late 1980s and early 1990s would be detrimental to all football programs in the Southwest Conference. At that time all schools (except Rice University) were under scrutiny by the NCAA as sanctions were imposed due to violations of NCAA regulations and recruiting rules, with Texas facing their third recruiting violation in the last 20 years.[28] The school that would suffer the most from the infractions was the SMU football program as they were handed the "death penalty" from the NCAA in which there would be no team for two years and no games would be televised. The sanction handed to SMU would prove pivotal for other Southwest Conference schools as blue-chip recruits in the state of Texas would begin signing letters of intent to play in schools outside of the Southwest Conference and the state of Texas." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Texas_Longhorns_football

SWC from 90-95 (less Arkansas)

SMU (11-39-2. They had just come off the death penalty for the 89 season) 0-0 bowl record
Rice (28-38-1, but did win the conference in 94 with a 5-6 record.) 0-0 bowl record
Baylor (40-28-1, pretty good run by Baylor standards, but like aTm, also a function of a weak schedule) 1-2 bowl record
Houston (10-1 in 90, but on probation. 12-42 the rest of the time period) 0-0 bowl record
TCU- (31-35-1, Tied Rice for conference in 94 at 7-5 overall) 0-1 bowl record
Texas Tech (36-33 about how Tech always was under Spike Dykes.)1-2 bowl record
Texas (10-2 in 1990. Lost the Cotton that year to Miami 46-3. 10-2-1 in 95, but lost to Va Tech 28-10 in Sugar. Overall Texas was 44-24-2 during this time period.) 1-2 bowl record

Including aTm's 2-3 bowl record (and Arkansas' 0-1) the entire SWC was 4-8 in the post season during the period.

Non conference was basic garbage during this time. You see LSU on the schedule during these years and think that lends some heft, but remember the Tigers were 23-32-1 during this time period. Definite low point in the program.

Kind of like KState in the early 2000s when they got to play the Big XII North which was good for 4 guaranteed wins (Iowa St., Mizzou, Colorado, Kansas) and 4 sisters of the poor in non-con. They had 8 wins baked into the schedule every year and often caught Ok St/ Texas Tech/ Baylor/ aTm (who was pretty bad back then) from the south. There were several years that less than 10 wins for KState would have meant they were actually a pretty bad team, but winning 10 didn't really prove much.

aTm in the early to mid 90s was in pretty much the same boat. Sumlin definitely accomplished his record against much, much stiffer competition.

SWC was never a deep conference for more than a few years at a time. Keep on spinning. Is Houston Nutt a better coach than Holtz or Broyles because he had a few solid seasons in the SECW?

rogersvillemohog

« Reply #65 on: August 09, 2018, 10:29:05 am »

I think we beat A&M, Ole Miss, and Vandy. A&M is completely rehauling their system too, but it is a lot more difficult to go from finesse to physical, plus we get them coming off of playing Clemson a couple of weeks prior and they have to go to Tuscaloosa the week before playing us. Plus I think these guys are hungry to beat A&M. I don't see Ole Miss improving much from last year and I think we win in a shootout. Vandy is just Vandy. Sorry. I like their coach and they way they play, but James Franklin ain't walking through that door. I also think we could have a very good shot at LSU with where they fall on the schedule, but still marking it down as a loss as of right now.

Lud42

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #66 on: August 09, 2018, 10:30:03 am »

SWC was never a deep conference for more than a few years at a time. Keep on spinning. Is Houston Nutt a better coach than Holtz or Broyles because he had a few solid seasons in the SECW?

No spinning, the swc was a garbage conference during that time period. Sumlin's teams would have embarrassed those early 90s aTm teams. It's the difference between what AState is currently doing in the Sun Belt vs. what they would be doing if they were in the SEC West.

Lud42

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #67 on: August 09, 2018, 10:41:38 am »

And, whether someone thinks that racking up wins against Rice, Baylor, and the rest of that bunch is the equivalent of winning in the modern SEC or not is really irrelevant to my point. I concede that Sumlin only had the second best six year period in aTm's entire post WWII history. So what? It still coincided with our worst six year period and it STILL took some epic fourth quarter collapses for us not to be even with them at our absolute lowest and their (arguably) second best.

We're not as far from them as people think.

(and if they can win the next ten games in a row, they will have almost evened the series...)

toddfromdesarc

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #68 on: August 09, 2018, 10:42:15 am »

No spinning, the swc was a garbage conference during that time period. Sumlin's teams would have embarrassed those early 90s aTm teams. It's the difference between what AState is currently doing in the Sun Belt vs. what they would be doing if they were in the SEC West.

I guess it's five o'cock somewhere

toddfromdesarc

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #69 on: August 09, 2018, 10:44:21 am »

A loss is a loss is a loss is a loss

Lud42

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #70 on: August 09, 2018, 10:50:05 am »

A loss is a loss is a loss is a loss

Sure, I guess you think UCF was better than Alabama, Georgia, Oklahoma, and Clemson last year then?

Or can you maybe have a better record than a team that's better than you are because you played an easier schedule?

If you think Slocum had the best aTm teams, that's fine. I don't really care about the aggies enough to argue about it. I don't see what that has to do with my point that I don't think we're that far away from them.

Lud42

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #71 on: August 09, 2018, 11:54:20 am »

Okay, I lied. I apparently care enough to compare each of their best seasons against each other.

1992 Aggies finished 12-1
2012 Aggies finished 11-2

Combined record of opponents:
1992: 69-76-2 (0.469) (SWC opponents a combined 35-42-1)
2012: 103-63 (0.620)

Record against Top 25 opponents:
1992: 1-1 (neither team in the SWC)
2012: 4-2

Record against teams with at least 8 wins:
1992: 1-1 (Neither team in the SWC)
2012: 5-2

Record against teams with a winning record:
1992: 4-1
2012: 7-2

Bowl game:
1992: Lost Cotton to #5 Notre Dame 28-3
2012: Won Cotton vs #12 Oklahoma 41-13

toddfromdesarc

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #72 on: August 09, 2018, 12:01:05 pm »

Okay, I lied. I apparently care enough to compare each of their best seasons against each other.

1992 Aggies finished 12-1
2012 Aggies finished 11-2

Combined record of opponents:
1992: 69-76-2 (0.469)
2012: 103-63 (0.620)

Record against Top 25 opponents:
1992: 1-1
2012: 4-2

Record against teams with at least 8 wins:
1992: 1-1
2012: 5-2

Record against teams with a winning record:
1992: 4-1
2012: 7-2

Bowl game:
1992: Lost Cotton to #5 Notre Dame 28-3
2012: Won Cotton vs #12 Oklahoma 41-13

So first it was best six seasons. Then it was well we have to look at SEC. And now we're doing just best season. Stick to one goal post. Doubt anyone would argue a season with a Heisman winner when they finished top 5 wasn't their single best season in the modern era.

Lud42

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #73 on: August 09, 2018, 12:10:11 pm »

So first it was best six seasons. Then it was well we have to look at SEC. And now we're doing just best season. Stick to one goal post. Doubt anyone would argue a season with a Heisman winner when they finished top 5 wasn't their single best season in the modern era.

You're funny, man. The goal post is that the SWC was garbage back then. I have freely admitted that I was mistaken and going by record only, whether it be against the most dominant football conference in history or against a dying conference full of below .500 teams on probation, Sumlin had AT WORST the second best run in aTm history. That was my point. If you believe otherwise and think the SWC during that period was comparable to the SEC of the last six years, please provide some kind of reasoning behind it. Or, if you are somehow arguing that Sumlin didn't have the second best six year run of any aggie post-WWII, then show me who else had a better one. I'll admit when I make a mistake.

Lud42

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #74 on: August 09, 2018, 12:17:22 pm »

Doubt anyone would argue a season with a Heisman winner when they finished top 5 wasn't their single best season in the modern era.

Sure, it would take a fool to argue otherwise. I'm just surprised anyone would argue that the aggie run from 90-95 was more impressive than what they did from 12-17.

LAHogKing

« Reply #75 on: August 09, 2018, 12:31:03 pm »

Iím going to say 2. Ole Miss and Vandy are the most likely, with A&M, LSU, Mizzou as tossups. I bet CCM wants that A&M game badly, LSU might decline as the season goes along, and the players will want the Mizzou game after back to back close losses. Of course given our history in LR lately, Ole Miss isnít a gimme either. 2 is a safe bet, but it could definitely end up 3 or 4 if we improve as the season goes along.

toddfromdesarc

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #76 on: August 09, 2018, 12:32:04 pm »

Or, if you are somehow arguing that Sumlin didn't have the second best six year run of any aggie post-WWII, then show me who else had a better one.

I already showed you. Sumlin had one great year. Slocum and Sherrill both won back to back to back conference titles. Do you discount our Hatfield conference titles because Texas and TAMU weren't that good in those years?

Lud42

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #77 on: August 09, 2018, 12:51:18 pm »

Do you discount our Hatfield conference titles because Texas and TAMU weren't that good in those years?

If you're asking if I would give them back, of course I wouldn't.

If you're asking if I think winning a very weak conference only to get our heads handed to us the first time we face a team with a pulse in our bowl game is as impressive as winning an SEC title would be then I'm gonna have to say no, I would be much more impressed by SEC success.

Let me ask you a question,

In 2016 and 2017, Blake Anderson went a combined 13-3 in the Sun Belt conference. In 2010 and 2011, Bobby Petrino went a combined 12-4 in the SEC. Which accomplishment do you find more impressive? Anderson because he had a better record or Petrino because it was against stiffer competition?

toddfromdesarc

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #78 on: August 09, 2018, 12:56:56 pm »

If you're asking if I would give them back, of course I wouldn't.

If you're asking if I think winning a very weak conference only to get our heads handed to us the first time we face a team with a pulse in our bowl game is as impressive as winning an SEC title would be then I'm gonna have to say no, I would be much more impressed by SEC success.

Let me ask you a question,

In 2016 and 2017, Blake Anderson went a combined 13-3 in the Sun Belt conference. In 2010 and 2011, Bobby Petrino went a combined 12-4 in the SEC. Which accomplishment do you find more impressive? Anderson because he had a better record or Petrino because it was against stiffer competition?

Texas and Arkansas were in the conference for four of those six conference titles I referenced. Texas was in the conference for all of them. That is not at all comparable to the Sun Belt.

Lud42

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #79 on: August 09, 2018, 12:59:07 pm »

Texas and Arkansas were in the conference for four of those six conference titles I referenced. Texas was in the conference for all of them. That is not at all comparable to the Sun Belt.

It's also not at all comparable to the SEC...

toddfromdesarc

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #80 on: August 09, 2018, 01:05:13 pm »

It's also not at all comparable to the SEC...

Guess all of our conference titles and our NC don't mean squat because we didn't do it through the SEC! We did it through a two-three team league! Not good enough!

Lud42

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #81 on: August 09, 2018, 01:11:00 pm »

Guess all of our conference titles and our NC don't mean squat because we didn't do it through the SEC! We did it through a two-three team league! Not good enough!

Talk about shifting goal posts. From talking about how weak the SWC was from 90-95 to outrageous hyperbole about the Razorbacks in completely different decades...

Answer me this, with no goal post shifting, deflecting, talking about the Razorbacks, none of that mess...

Do you think that the SWC from 1990-1995 was as good, or even close to as good, as the SEC from 2012-2017?

Simple question that only requires a simple answer. SWC 90-95 or SEC 12-17?

toddfromdesarc

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #82 on: August 09, 2018, 01:23:37 pm »

Talk about shifting goal posts. From talking about how weak the SWC was from 90-95 to outrageous hyperbole about the Razorbacks in completely different decades...

Answer me this, with no goal post shifting, deflecting, talking about the Razorbacks, none of that mess...

Do you think that the SWC from 1990-1995 was as good, or even close to as good, as the SEC from 2012-2017?

No.

Do I think finishing 3rd, 4th, 6th, 5th, 4th, 5th in your own division is better than finishing 2nd, 1st, 1st, 1st, 1st, 2nd while still in a major conference simply because you played tougher teams? Nope.

Whether you like it or not the winner of the SWC still went to the Cotton Bowl; it wasn't a G5 conference equivalent playing in the New Orleans Bowl. 

Is Bobby Petrino's 3rd place division finish Cotton Bowl superior to Hatfield's '88 or '89 conference title?

Ex-Trumpet

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #83 on: August 09, 2018, 01:26:39 pm »

Competition is always relevant to the teams and personnel of the time.  You should never compare Karl Malone to LeBron James, or Bobby Jones to Tiger Woods.  Not possible or relevant.

Lud42

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #84 on: August 09, 2018, 01:29:09 pm »

No.

Do I think finishing 3rd, 4th, 6th, 5th, 4th, 5th in your own division is better than finishing 2nd, 1st, 1st, 1st, 1st, 2nd simply because you played tougher teams? Nope.

Whether you like it or not the winner of the SWC still went to the Cotton Bowl; it wasn't a G5 conference equivalent playing in the New Orleans Bowl. 

Is Bobby Petrino's 3rd place division finish Cotton Bowl superior to Hatfield's '88 or '89 conference title?

So you agree that the SEC is exponentially better than the SWC of 90-95, you just don't want to actually say it because you think that someone will come and take away Kenny's conference titles, or something. Got it, thanks.

Have a nice day.

And p.s. while the conference titles are obviously better than no conference titles, let's not try to pretend that Petrino's 10-11 teams wouldn't have beaten those 88-89 teams like a drum, either.

toddfromdesarc

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #85 on: August 09, 2018, 01:32:21 pm »

So you agree that the SEC is exponentially better than the SWC of 90-95, you just don't want to actually say it because you think that someone will come and take away Kenny's conference titles, or something. Got it, thanks.

Have a nice day.

And p.s. while the conference titles are obviously better than no conference titles, let's not try to pretend that Petrino's 10-11 teams wouldn't have beaten those 88-89 teams like a drum, either.

Really? You don't say? You mean to tell me athletes get stronger, faster and better over time? Thanks, Newton. That 4-8 team last year would have destroyed our '64 team. Ever think of that?

Lud42

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #86 on: August 09, 2018, 01:32:27 pm »

Competition is always relevant to the teams and personnel of the time.  You should never compare Karl Malone to LeBron James, or Bobby Jones to Tiger Woods.  Not possible or relevant.

This is true, but I think you can certainly say that a conference full of sub .500 teams who are almost all on probation is not as good as a conference full of highly ranked teams that produced something like 7 straight national champions, regardless of what era you are talking about.

Lud42

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #87 on: August 09, 2018, 01:34:15 pm »

Really? You don't say? You mean to tell me athletes get stronger, faster and better over time? Thanks, Newton. That 4-8 team last year would have destroyed our '64 team. Ever think of that?

Sure did, Einstein. I also am smart enough to figure out that a conference full of sub .500 teams on probation is not as good as a conference full of highly ranked teams consistently producing national champions. Just trying to educate you, my man.

« Reply #88 on: August 09, 2018, 01:35:07 pm »

I find myself starting to have the blind faith that I get every year about this time.  I never wanted Bret to begin with, never thought much of his coaching at any level, believed he was not prepared, didn't have his team prepared, didn't know what the hell he was doing most of the time and he never appeared eager to be here.  That all said, I ended up having us projected to win from 1 to 3 more games every year than we actually did.

E. Illinois should be a fun easy win.  Everyone should get to play in that game and I expect a 5 TD win.
Colorado State should be tough but I really believe we barely pull this one out.
N Tex another easy win with everyone getting in the game and us winning by 21 or more.
Auburn we will lose but not really bad because Malzahn doesn't dislike Chad.
A&M we lose and lose badly.  Fisher is a good coach and needs to put this wrong coach for A&M to bed now.
Bama will beat us as bad as Saban wants.  Saban usually let up on Bret, do not expect this with Chad.
Ole Miss we will win.  At home and against a broken team, should be our game to win.
Tulsa will be another win but not as bad as many would want.  By now, we have 5 wins. Standing 5-3.
Vandy I beleive we win but this could be the loss that Chad racks up trying too hard.
LSU I believe we lose but this could be the win Chad racks up that he shouldn't.
MSU we likely will lose but if we exceed expectations here is the team to beat.
MO I think we win especially if needed to become bowl elgible.

I hope for 6-6 would hate 5-7 or less and can see where we could win 1 or 2 more IF injuries and attitudes go our way.

toddfromdesarc

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #89 on: August 09, 2018, 01:35:56 pm »

Sure did, Einstein. I also am smart enough to figure out that a conference full of sub .500 teams on probation is not as good as a conference full of highly ranked teams consistently producing national champions. Just trying to educate you, my man.

Educate me? You didn't even know the SWC history, buddy.

Tale as old as '92. SEC fan thinking it's somehow admirable and a sleeve of honor to finish fourth in your division because you played the future national champion!

Lud42

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #90 on: August 09, 2018, 01:39:17 pm »

Tale as old as '92. SEC fan thinking it's somehow admirable and a sleeve of honor to finish fourth in your division because you played the future national champion!

Beginning to wonder about you, brother.

It seems like there must be voices in your head or something, because you sure are hearing a lot of things that nobody has said. Or maybe you think you can turn a profit off of all these straw men you are building.

Either way, it's obviously a waste of my time to keep talking to you about this.

Have a nice day.

Ex-Trumpet

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #91 on: August 09, 2018, 01:44:02 pm »

I find myself starting to have the blind faith that I get every year about this time.  I never wanted Bret to begin with, never thought much of his coaching at any level, believed he was not prepared, didn't have his team prepared, didn't know what the hell he was doing most of the time and he never appeared eager to be here.  That all said, I ended up having us projected to win from 1 to 3 more games every year than we actually did.

E. Illinois should be a fun easy win.  Everyone should get to play in that game and I expect a 5 TD win.
Colorado State should be tough but I really believe we barely pull this one out.
N Tex another easy win with everyone getting in the game and us winning by 21 or more.
Auburn we will lose but not really bad because Malzahn doesn't dislike Chad.
A&M we lose and lose badly.  Fisher is a good coach and needs to put this wrong coach for A&M to bed now.
Bama will beat us as bad as Saban wants.  Saban usually let up on Bret, do not expect this with Chad.
Ole Miss we will win.  At home and against a broken team, should be our game to win.
Tulsa will be another win but not as bad as many would want.  By now, we have 5 wins. Standing 5-3.
Vandy I beleive we win but this could be the loss that Chad racks up trying too hard.
LSU I believe we lose but this could be the win Chad racks up that he shouldn't.
MSU we likely will lose but if we exceed expectations here is the team to beat.
MO I think we win especially if needed to become bowl elgible.

I hope for 6-6 would hate 5-7 or less and can see where we could win 1 or 2 more IF injuries and attitudes go our way.

Can't really disagree with too much here...except I'm still that guy that thinks Jimbo is a fraud.  He took a great FSU program and made them mediocre.  If not for Jameis...

I'd rather have Chizik than Jimbo.  (And hope neither is ever in a conversation for head coach at UA).

toddfromdesarc

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #92 on: August 09, 2018, 01:48:05 pm »

I'd rather have Chizik than Jimbo.

Y'all gotta stop starting the drinking so early.

RyanMallettsEgo

• No, no, no, don't think of it as work.
« Reply #93 on: August 09, 2018, 01:53:57 pm »

Can't really disagree with too much here...except I'm still that guy that thinks Jimbo is a fraud.  He took a great FSU program and made them mediocre.  If not for Jameis...

I'd rather have Chizik than Jimbo.  (And hope neither is ever in a conversation for head coach at UA).

He didn't take a "great" FSU program and make them mediocre. Look at FSU's records for the 5 years before Jimbo.

Also, ONE bad year after your starting QB goes down is mediocre?

After winning the national championship, FSU went 13-1, 10-3, 10-3, 7-6. If that's mediocre, where the Frank do I sign up?

Dude c'mon. You aren't serious about that.

Lud42

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #94 on: August 09, 2018, 01:59:13 pm »

He didn't take a "great" FSU program and make them mediocre. Look at FSU's records for the 5 years before Jimbo.

After winning the national championship, FSU went 13-1, 10-3, 10-3, 7-6. If that's mediocre, where the Frank do I sign up?

I don't think he's a fraud, but unless he brings them a NC I don't see how they don't look like complete idiots for giving him all of that money. I mean, that deal makes Jeff Long look like a penny pincher...

rogersvillemohog

« Reply #95 on: August 09, 2018, 02:12:34 pm »

Bielema took over for Alvarez at Wisconsin and cruised through the Big Ten for seven years and couldn't cut it in the SEC. Nothing is a given.

RyanMallettsEgo

« Reply #96 on: August 09, 2018, 02:19:47 pm »

Bielema took over for Alvarez at Wisconsin and cruised through the Big Ten for seven years and couldn't cut it in the SEC. Nothing is a given.

Arkansas is a harder job than Texas A&M in almost every aspect. They have almost unlimited funds and they're situated in a recruiting hotbed.

I'm just glad to see Morris tapping into that hotbed and winning some of these recruiting battles.

But going from Wisconsin to Arkansas is not the same as going from Florida State to Texas A&M.

Here's the thing, I'm not saying Jimbo will come into A&M and light it up. I hope the dude absolutely sucks. But I can see why and how he could be pretty good there. I think calling him a fraud is pretty dumb, but at the same time I hope he IS a fraud.

rogersvillemohog

« Reply #97 on: August 09, 2018, 02:31:39 pm »

Arkansas is a harder job than Texas A&M in almost every aspect. They have almost unlimited funds and they're situated in a recruiting hotbed.

I'm just glad to see Morris tapping into that hotbed and winning some of these recruiting battles.

But going from Wisconsin to Arkansas is not the same as going from Florida State to Texas A&M.

Here's the thing, I'm not saying Jimbo will come into A&M and light it up. I hope the dude absolutely sucks. But I can see why and how he could be pretty good there. I think calling him a fraud is pretty dumb, but at the same time I hope he IS a fraud.

I agree to a certain extent. I'm just drawing a parallel between the fact that both took over pretty decent situations at schools that are in the upper echelon of their conference. Neither really built their program from the ground up, both competed in conferences in which they did not have to go up against Alabamas, LSUs, and Auburns week in and week out. I tend to think Jimbo will do pretty well at A&M, but by doing "pretty well" I think he might get to Atlanta a time or two, might even win the conference, but we all know what that $75 mil he's being paid is for, and it ain't for trips to the ATL or NOLA. It's to get to the CFP and win the thing once or twice. At least, that would be my expectation if we were paying someone that much guaranteed, and I happen to believe that's not a given, especially not at a place like A&M. I think Chad has just as much of a chance to be just as, if not more, successful than Jimbo and it didn't cost the University $75 million to accomplish it. Maybe I'm wrong. It's all a big wait and see guessing game.

RyanMallettsEgo

« Reply #98 on: August 09, 2018, 02:35:26 pm »

I agree to a certain extent. I'm just drawing a parallel between the fact that both took over pretty decent situations at schools that are in the upper echelon of their conference. Neither really built their program from the ground up, both competed in conferences in which they did not have to go up against Alabamas, LSUs, and Auburns week in and week out. I tend to think Jimbo will do pretty well at A&M, but by doing "pretty well" I think he might get to Atlanta a time or two, might even win the conference, but we all know what that $75 mil he's being paid is for, and it ain't for trips to the ATL or NOLA. It's to get to the CFP and win the thing once or twice. At least, that would be my expectation if we were paying someone that much guaranteed, and I happen to believe that's not a given, especially not at a place like A&M. I think Chad has just as much of a chance to be just as, if not more, successful than Jimbo and it didn't cost the University $75 million to accomplish it. Maybe I'm wrong. It's all a big wait and see guessing game.

Right, I get that.

I'm pretty much in agreement with everything you said here. As a Hogs fan, I'd be giddy with a few trips to Atlanta, but you're right that A&M isn't paying Jimbo for just that.

Boardon Hamsay

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Eponymous Keeper of the War Damn Mockingbird Unis
« Reply #99 on: August 09, 2018, 03:25:48 pm »

I voted for them all. That said, I think we go 6-6, maybe 7-5.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas