• 9,929,201 Posts
• 399,348 Topics
• 22,893 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: I think we are going to be good!  (Read 6997 times)

wildturkey8

Re: I think we are going to be good!
« Reply #100 on: August 09, 2018, 11:21:47 am »

I agree with this. Offensively I think Cornelius, Nance, Pettway, Woods, etc. will be fine and I think we are as good at RB and TE as just about anyone. The questions will be can we find an effective distributer of the ball at qb and can we--through scheme and/or improved play--give him long enough to do the job.

The defense is actually loaded with guys capable of making plays. We'll see if they can reach their potential in a more attacking style defense rather than playing back on their heels waiting for the play to come to them. (I know we heard we were going to attack more the last several years and it never really materialized, but that is what Chavis has done everywhere he has been, so I'm confident we will at least be more aggressive this season.)
I do agree that the schemes employed by this staff allow the players to showcase their talents more than the previous staff.  I am ready for the games to begin and we will have a much better idea. 

liljo

« Reply #101 on: August 09, 2018, 01:44:07 pm »

All 4 stars are not created equal.  Who are the playmakers on this team?

I couldn't agree more. I think we have some playmakers now--but I can ASSURE you we will, in Chad Morris' time here, have an abundance of BIGTIME playmakers.

When you consider how that can help a program, think TCU. Now, I know the Frogs haven't exactly been world-beaters, but their current surge in College Football has been based upon being pretty good everywhere, and fielding some electrifying playmakers. It has given them a chance to compete at a very high level.

I know it's not really comparable, but I am from Malvern. Back in the mid-90s when Madre Hill scorched the grass at Claude-Mann Stadium, the Leopards had a pretty good high school football team. I mean, they had a solid offensive line and a serviceable HS QB. They had a scrappy defense that would fight its guts out on every single play, but they didn't have D1 talent over there. But what they really DID have was a playmaker like few I have ever witnessed at the High School level. Every single time Madre got the ball everybody in the entire stadium stood up. There was a fair chance he was going to score every time he touched the ball. Malvern, with a Pretty Good High School Team, won the State Championship because of one Super Baller. Auburn won a Natty because of one Super Baller. New England has interchanged so many parts and won so many Super Bowls because of a few Super Ballers.

Chad Morris is going to field some Super Baller Playmakers, that I have absolutely no doubts about. This year? We'll see.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

AugustaHog

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #102 on: August 09, 2018, 01:48:04 pm »

If you are going by stars then there is some talent on this squad. RB, DL, and DB look to be particularly solid. Heck, at QB we are likely to have two 4* back ups. WR and LB look really thin, but I actually think we are better off at those two positions than the recruiting rankings would have predicted. Hopefully, Oline can live up to their potential this year (I know Hjalte was a d lineman). Seems like that group had more misses and attrition than any other position over the last few years (not to mention poor coaching).

QB:
Ty Storey 4*
Connor Noland 4*

RB:
Chase Hayden 4*
TJ Hammonds 4*
Devwah Whaley 4*

WR:

TE:
Jeremy Patton 4*
CJ O'Grady 4*

OL:
Hjalte Froholdt 4*
Jalen Merrick 4*
Brian Wallace 4*

DL:
Briston Guidry 4*
Sosa Agim 4*/ 5*
Jamario Bell 4*
Austin Capps 4*

LB:
Bumper Pool 4*

DB:
LaDarius Bishop 4*
Montaric Brown 4*
Chevin Calloway 4*

Not saying any of this amounts to a hill of beans, but it's interesting to look at.

On paper.

Can't wait for the games to start!
This is a good breakdown, thanks!  There is some young talent in the secondary for sure.  I think the future is bright there with those 3 you mentioned, as well as Foucha and Kam Curl.  The DL looks solid, but most of those guys haven't live up to the hype just yet (even Sosa).  I'm hoping that has a bunch to do with the way they have been used the last couple years.  I think we are good at RB and TE.  There shouldn't be a depth issue at either spot.  Boyd was a 4* out of high school as well, I believe.  Not sure Storey will live up to the hype, but we will know one way or the other.  OL is definitely the problem spot.  Froholdt is living up to his potential and it sounds like Wallace is starting to click.  We need both of those guys to have huge seasons.

Lud42

• Varsity
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #103 on: August 09, 2018, 01:55:06 pm »

Yeah, from what Otis reported from the presser today, it sounds like coach is pleased with Gibson and Wallace on the right side and Hjalte should be fine wherever he ends up (guard or center). If we can find two more guys who can play we might just be okay. Have to pray everyone stays healthy.

cosmodrum

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Today, we are teaching poodles how to fly...
« Reply #104 on: August 09, 2018, 02:42:35 pm »

Lack of OL depth is going to make the next couple of seasons difficult.

liljo

« Reply #105 on: August 09, 2018, 02:48:48 pm »

Lack of OL depth is going to make the next couple of seasons difficult.

That would certainly appear to be a safe statement to make. Almost reminds me of one of those Captain Obvious commercials. We sure don't need any more injuries, but we are bound to have them. It's the Razorbacks Way. Whichever position we are the thinnest at will usually be hit the hardest.

cosmodrum

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Today, we are teaching poodles how to fly...
« Reply #106 on: August 09, 2018, 02:52:21 pm »

That would certainly appear to be a safe statement to make. Almost reminds me of one of those Captain Obvious commercials. We sure don't need any more injuries, but we are bound to have them. It's the Razorbacks Way. Whichever position we are the thinnest at will usually be hit the hardest.

When it's all said and done, the Bert/Pittman fiasco will have cost us the better part of a decade.

AugustaHog

« Reply #107 on: August 09, 2018, 02:53:48 pm »

I'm hoping that Clenin and Wagner come on strong for us.  They seem to be getting a ton of snaps if for no other reason than necessity.  If they can be reliable guys and we get Jackson back soon, our two deep won't be too bad.  Next year, we'll lose Wallace and Hjalte.  It'd be great if Wagner can get plenty of reps to be ready to take over one of the tackle spots next year.  We just need some warm, capable bodies to practice with.

Pork Twain

« Reply #108 on: August 10, 2018, 01:23:24 am »

Obviously a typo.

You keep beating that drum man if it makes you feel better.

The funny thing is, you kind of better hope the bolded part is true if you're looking for the Razorbacks to have any chance of being good. Also very strange analogy. Your boss must be short. Unless you're trying to refer to dicks. Which would be even weirder and seem like maybe you have a complex. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.
Sure it was...  ;)

Razorbacks will NEVER compete with the big boys in recruiting or on the field, on a consistent basis.  That does not mean that they won't be an above average team most years and have a great year every few years.  Bama's amazing recruiting allows them to do that every single year.  That's not us.

People that talk too much, usually have something they are masking

Pork Twain

« Reply #109 on: August 10, 2018, 01:26:19 am »

If you are going by stars then there is some talent on this squad. RB, DL, and DB look to be particularly solid. Heck, at QB we are likely to have two 4* back ups. WR and LB look really thin, but I actually think we are better off at those two positions than the recruiting rankings would have predicted. Hopefully, Oline can live up to their potential this year (I know Hjalte was a d lineman). Seems like that group had more misses and attrition than any other position over the last few years (not to mention poor coaching).

QB:
Ty Storey 4*
Connor Noland 4*

RB:
Chase Hayden 4*
TJ Hammonds 4*
Devwah Whaley 4*

WR:

TE:
Jeremy Patton 4*
CJ O'Grady 4*

OL:
Hjalte Froholdt 4*
Jalen Merrick 4*
Brian Wallace 4*

DL:
Briston Guidry 4*
Sosa Agim 4*/ 5*
Jamario Bell 4*
Austin Capps 4*

LB:
Bumper Pool 4*

DB:
LaDarius Bishop 4*
Montaric Brown 4*
Chevin Calloway 4*

Not saying any of this amounts to a hill of beans, but it's interesting to look at.

On paper.

All I was addressing is what we have on paper.  Obviously we don't know what they are capable on the field because we had Bret coaching/recruiting one system and then trying to execute another system for the last few years.  I am just saying that the talent is indeed there, now lets see if Chad can actually maximize it instead of minimizing it like Bret

rhames

« Reply #110 on: August 10, 2018, 04:40:50 am »

Sure it was...  ;)

Razorbacks will NEVER compete with the big boys in recruiting or on the field, on a consistent basis.  That does not mean that they won't be an above average team most years and have a great year every few years.  Bama's amazing recruiting allows them to do that every single year.  That's not us.

People that talk too much, usually have something they are masking

No one is arguing the first part. I just think this year is unlikely to be a year for the Razorbacks to be above average. Definitely don't think we will be great. Your first point I responded to was that we have "a ton of talent" then doubled down by saying the most talent we have had in 20 years! That just isn't true.

What are you "masking?"   

This is a safe space!

gchamblee

« Reply #111 on: August 10, 2018, 06:03:40 am »

QB:
Ty Storey 4*
Connor Noland 4*

RB:
Chase Hayden 4*
TJ Hammonds 4*
Devwah Whaley 4*

WR:

TE:
Jeremy Patton 4*
CJ O'Grady 4*

OL:
Hjalte Froholdt 4*
Jalen Merrick 4*
Brian Wallace 4*

DL:
Briston Guidry 4*
Sosa Agim 4*/ 5*
Jamario Bell 4*
Austin Capps 4*

LB:
Bumper Pool 4*

DB:
LaDarius Bishop 4*
Montaric Brown 4*
Chevin Calloway 4*

On paper.

if the average weight of these players is 200 lbs, then we have more than a ton of talent

Pork Twain

« Reply #112 on: August 11, 2018, 11:26:32 pm »

No one is arguing the first part. I just think this year is unlikely to be a year for the Razorbacks to be above average. Definitely don't think we will be great. Your first point I responded to was that we have "a ton of talent" then doubled down by saying the most talent we have had in 20 years! That just isn't true.

What are you "masking?"   

This is a safe space!
I don't think we will be great either, but I do think we will win 7+ in year one.  I also remember the mood when HDN was hired and when BP was hired.

Not everyone can get simple comparisons, and that's ok.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 01:24:00 am by Pork Twain »

rhames

« Reply #113 on: August 12, 2018, 09:38:25 am »

I don't think we will be great either, but I do think we will win 7+ in year one.  I also remember the mood when HDN was hired and when BP was hired.

Not everyone can get simple comparisons, and that's ok.

Um. Ok. The mood was excitement because we had a new coach. Not sure what that has to do with the claim that there is a ton of talent on the team. The best talent we have had in 20 years. You know, what we were debating about. I'll take this as an end to the conversation

Also, are you still talking about dicks close to midnight? Strange.

Pork Twain

« Reply #114 on: August 12, 2018, 10:32:07 am »

Um. Ok. The mood was excitement because we had a new coach. Not sure what that has to do with the claim that there is a ton of talent on the team. The best talent we have had in 20 years. You know, what we were debating about. I'll take this as an end to the conversation

I guess only time will tell

Not midnight where I am at and I am just talking about a comparison.  People that say X does not matter, usually do not have X

Seebs

« Reply #115 on: August 12, 2018, 10:49:10 am »

Many of you do this on an annual basis and it is called fandom and I hope you all are right.

Offensive line is shoddy, no QB has been named which is disconcerting, having players recruited to play one way asked to play another.

I will be ecstatic, overjoyed if we make a bowl, and even that may not be very pretty.

Pork Twain

« Reply #116 on: August 12, 2018, 10:51:38 am »

Many of you do this on an annual basis and it is called fandom and I hope you all are right.

Offensive line is shoddy, no QB has been named which is disconcerting, having players recruited to play one way asked to play another.

I will be ecstatic, overjoyed if we make a bowl, and even that may not be very pretty.
I think the transition will have several bumps, but I do see 7 winable games.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #117 on: August 12, 2018, 12:24:09 pm »

When Petrino was hired, the mood was at a fever pitch because the fans knew that the U of A had hired a winner. For 4 years straight, our Razorback club meeting was packed wall to wall with a line of people from the front of the room all the way out the back trying to get Bobby's signature. Now they do good if the room is 3/4ths full.

Because the last 6 years have been so bad, I sense a lot of guarded optimism going into this season even with it being Chad Morris's first year.

rhames

« Reply #118 on: August 12, 2018, 12:27:22 pm »

When Petrino was hired, the mood was at a fever pitch because the fans knew that the U of A had hired a winner. For 4 years straight, our Razorback club meeting was packed wall to wall with a line of people from the front of the room all the way out the back trying to get Bobby's signature. Now they do good if the room is 3/4ths full.

Because the last 6 years have been so bad, I sense a lot of guarded optimism going into this season even with it being Chad Morris's first year.

People are excited

And guess what. People will fill those meetings if Morris replicates what Petrino did.

New coaches bring excitement. People wont admit it, but 90% of the fan base was ready to run through a wall for Bielema before his first game, you included.  Same for Morris. We have people saying he is the next Frank haha.

bphi11ips

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I need help with my footwork, too.
« Reply #119 on: August 12, 2018, 12:41:45 pm »

People are excited

And guess what. People will fill those meetings if Morris replicates what Petrino did.

New coaches bring excitement. People wont admit it, but 90% of the fan base was ready to run through a wall for Bielema before his first game, you included.  Same for Morris. We have people saying he is the next Frank haha.

Maybe he will be. Maybe he won’t. No one knows yet.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #120 on: August 12, 2018, 12:58:59 pm »

People are excited

I agree with the line in bold and I REALLY hope that it happens.

For the record, I was not ready to run through a wall for Bielema. I stated that it was a good hire but that he would only be successful if he dumped his Big 10 offense and instead, ran a form of the Spread. He refused to dump it and he failed as I predicted. Hiring Bielema to coach the Hog football team was trying to put a square peg into a round hole and it didn't work.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

• Gold Hogvillian
  • One tusk over the line sweet Jesus...
« Reply #121 on: August 12, 2018, 01:05:32 pm »

The truth is, not one swinging Richard in this forum has a clue how much talent we have.  The services say Bielema recruited better than anyone before him.  And he retained most of what he recruited.  Therefore, it isn’t unreasonable to thing we have more talent available than most realize.

Doesn’t mean we do.  But it is reasonable to think we might.
Swinging Richard... +!  I prefer "Dangling Charlie" , "Sir Chuck of $&^%" Etc...

Superhog1959

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #122 on: August 13, 2018, 11:11:44 am »

I'm still thinking 5 wins. Because either way I probably wont be to far off or to disappointed as I have been in the past when high hopes came into play. But I do have 2 different thoughts on how things could turn. One is negative the other is positive.
1. We have a knew coach that hasn't been greatly successful as a head coach (yet). New system to learn. OL that was so poor last year it was sickening to watch. Our defense last year was also very poor. Yes we have a lot of returning players, BUT, I will stop there.

2. Coach Morris has a impressive background. What I like is he coached very successful HS football in Texas. To be a successful coach for many years in HS you have to be a good teacher. Teaching is something I don't think we have had for many years. Coaching is the fun part, teaching is the tiring, working long hours, having patience and being good at communication with younger players.
I also think he will be a improvement from what we had from making on field decisions, adjustments and physical conditioning.   

Thinking about all the factors I do know, I think 5 wins is realistic. If we don't get to 5, it will tell a story and present concern for the future, although with some good recruiting, hope will still be present for next year and future years. If we surpass 5, it will be a good sign for the future. And a sure sign of improved coaching and better coaches. We shall see. GO HOGS!

urkillnmesmalls

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Experience: You get it just after you needed it!
« Reply #123 on: August 14, 2018, 09:52:18 am »

I'm still thinking 5 wins. Because either way I probably wont be to far off or to disappointed as I have been in the past when high hopes came into play. But I do have 2 different thoughts on how things could turn. One is negative the other is positive.
1. We have a knew coach that hasn't been greatly successful as a head coach (yet). New system to learn. OL that was so poor last year it was sickening to watch. Our defense last year was also very poor. Yes we have a lot of returning players, BUT, I will stop there.

2. Coach Morris has a impressive background. What I like is he coached very successful HS football in Texas. To be a successful coach for many years in HS you have to be a good teacher. Teaching is something I don't think we have had for many years. Coaching is the fun part, teaching is the tiring, working long hours, having patience and being good at communication with younger players.
I also think he will be a improvement from what we had from making on field decisions, adjustments and physical conditioning.   

Thinking about all the factors I do know, I think 5 wins is realistic. If we don't get to 5, it will tell a story and present concern for the future, although with some good recruiting, hope will still be present for next year and future years. If we surpass 5, it will be a good sign for the future. And a sure sign of improved coaching and better coaches. We shall see. GO HOGS!

Dodging further injuries in the O-Line is at the top of the list on what could have a huge impact on the season's W/L record. 

The HUGE POSITIVE that I'm taking away is that he's already improved our recruiting ranking, despite a late start and having to pick up where things were left off!  That's a big part of why we hired him, was to re-create the recruiting highways to Texas.  We're already seeing that come to fruition, and with relationship development and more time, I would anticipate nothing but improvement moving forward. 

Therefore...for me, this year's record won't mean a lot.  We HAVE TO improve in recruiting to hope to compete with the elite teams of the SEC, and he's doing that.  Step one....accomplished.   

Lud42

• Varsity
« Reply #124 on: August 14, 2018, 10:32:28 am »

I'm so torn on how I think this season will turn out.

Reasons that I think that 7,8, OR MORE wins are possible:

1. The schedule is the easiest I can remember in a long time. We have four non-con games that we should win +Vandy and Ole Miss. That's six right there and we have been extremely close and needing to blow large leads against aTm and Mizzou the last several years and I think if we find ourselves in that position under the new staff, we are more likely to step on the gas and bury them than we are to go into some sort of conservative clock eating mode and watch our leads evaporate late in the games.

2. Defense. There is absolutely NO WAY that a Chavis led defense can be as bad as what we put on the field last year. It just won't happen. Even an improvement of just a few points per game could lead to a few wins.

3. Offensive Line. Again, I don't think its possible for it to get much worse than it was last season and I think the shotgun snaps, spreading the defense out, and quick passing game will improve the protection from a scheme standpoint alone when compared to under center, compact formations, and slow developing play action passing game.

Of course, I could also see the wheels falling off and the team limping to a 3 or 4 win season for a few reasons:

1. As easy as the schedule looks on paper, there's really no let up in the SEC and if we don't have the defense and the o-line figured out, then even Vandy and Ole Miss can beat us.

2. We have an unproven coach at the head coach in the SEC level. We all believe and like what we have seen so far, but we don't have anything other than faith at this point to rely on.

3. Offensive Line. I said to myself last year that there was no way it could get any worse, and it did.

4. Defense. I said to myself before last season that there was no way it could get any worse, and it did.

Just really don't have any feel for this year. I am optimistic. I have faith in the coaches and what they are trying to do and I think we have more talent on the squad than we have showed the last couple of years. On the other hand, I haven't really been blown away by what we have seen in the limited practice videos that have been posted eiteher.

Who knows? Hopefully it's a fun season either way. I just want to see progress and see an aggressive, competitive team out on the field.

urkillnmesmalls

« Reply #125 on: August 14, 2018, 10:47:32 am »

1. The schedule is the easiest I can remember in a long time. We have four non-con games that we should win +Vandy and Ole Miss. That's six right there and we have been extremely close and needing to blow large leads against aTm and Mizzou the last several years and I think if we find ourselves in that position under the new staff, we are more likely to step on the gas and bury them than we are to go into some sort of conservative clock eating mode and watch our leads evaporate late in the games.

2. Defense. There is absolutely NO WAY that a Chavis led defense can be as bad as what we put on the field last year. It just won't happen. Even an improvement of just a few points per game could lead to a few wins.

3. Offensive Line. Again, I don't think its possible for it to get much worse than it was last season and I think the shotgun snaps, spreading the defense out, and quick passing game will improve the protection from a scheme standpoint alone when compared to under center, compact formations, and slow developing play action passing game.

Of course, I could also see the wheels falling off and the team limping to a 3 or 4 win season for a few reasons:

1. As easy as the schedule looks on paper, there's really no let up in the SEC and if we don't have the defense and the o-line figured out, then even Vandy and Ole Miss can beat us.

2. We have an unproven coach at the head coach in the SEC level. We all believe and like what we have seen so far, but we don't have anything other than faith at this point to rely on.

3. Offensive Line. I said to myself last year that there was no way it could get any worse, and it did.

4. Defense. I said to myself before last season that there was no way it could get any worse, and it did.

Just really don't have any feel for this year. I am optimistic. I have faith in the coaches and what they are trying to do and I think we have more talent on the squad than we have showed the last couple of years. On the other hand, I haven't really been blown away by what we have seen in the limited practice videos that have been posted eiteher.

Who knows? Hopefully it's a fun season either way. I just want to see progress and see an aggressive, competitive team out on the field.

Good post.  We have to avoid further injuries.  I remember even in Petrino's first two seasons, when we were losing, we still saw signs of things to come, and they were fun to watch go through the growing pains.  We had to play a lot of young players, but they were getting experience quickly, and it paid off later. 

The consistent thought that never ceases to amaze me is the ever elusive need for a "dual threat" quarterback.  Who DOESN'T want that?  We always heard that BP's offense would be better with one, and the same was said for CBB.  That's because EVERY offense is better when you have an athlete who can beat people with their feet, and add that dimension to have to defend. 

Will we get that elusive player?  That's a big question, but a few years in, if that's the excuse that people cling to..."Well, he hasn't got a QB in here to run his system," then that's LAME.  EVERY COACH wants to have that, and if it's an absolute imperative part of your system, then prepare for potential failure, because ALL of the top programs are vying for those kids.  We've seen what happens to Malzahn's teams when he doesn't have a stud QB, so if you put your eggs in that basket, and they don't hatch...well, it may not be pretty.   

Lud42

• Varsity
« Reply #126 on: August 14, 2018, 10:57:27 am »

I remember even in Petrino's first two seasons, when we were losing, we still saw signs of things to come, and they were fun to watch go through the growing pains.  We had to play a lot of young players, but they were getting experience quickly, and it paid off later.

The first time Casey Dick tossed for 300 yards and we could look over to the sideline and see that Ryan Mallett was waiting for his turn, knew everything was going to be okay.

Mjs84

• Varsity
« Reply #127 on: August 14, 2018, 06:54:34 pm »

There are historical instances that support my theory!

Bobby Petrino had a tough first year here.  I expect the same with Morris.  Hope Morris can match Bobby's success in the next 3 or 4 years.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #128 on: August 15, 2018, 07:29:05 am »

Good post.  We have to avoid further injuries.  I remember even in Petrino's first two seasons, when we were losing, we still saw signs of things to come, and they were fun to watch go through the growing pains.  We had to play a lot of young players, but they were getting experience quickly, and it paid off later. 

The consistent thought that never ceases to amaze me is the ever elusive need for a "dual threat" quarterback.  Who DOESN'T want that?  We always heard that BP's offense would be better with one, and the same was said for CBB.  That's because EVERY offense is better when you have an athlete who can beat people with their feet, and add that dimension to have to defend. 

Will we get that elusive player?  That's a big question, but a few years in, if that's the excuse that people cling to..."Well, he hasn't got a QB in here to run his system," then that's LAME.  EVERY COACH wants to have that, and if it's an absolute imperative part of your system, then prepare for potential failure, because ALL of the top programs are vying for those kids.  We've seen what happens to Malzahn's teams when he doesn't have a stud QB, so if you put your eggs in that basket, and they don't hatch...well, it may not be pretty.   

Well said. Anyone who believes that Morris needs a dual threat QB to make his system work hasn't watched videos of SMU's offense the last 2 years. Their QB was a drop back passer, not a dual threat QB.

urkillnmesmalls

« Reply #129 on: August 15, 2018, 09:45:17 am »

Well said. Anyone who believes that Morris needs a dual threat QB to make his system work hasn't watched videos of SMU's offense the last 2 years. Their QB was a drop back passer, not a dual threat QB.

We'll see how it pans out against stronger SEC defenses and coaching.  Having a viable dual threat QB may be a more necessary cog in the wheel for his system to work.  If that's the case, then that's on him and his staff to identify that kid who can be a difference maker, and get him to campus.  That's the bottom line. 

My point is...in a few years, I don't want to hear the excuse that his system isn't working, because we don't have a dual threat QB.  If that's your system...and you need one...then you GET ONE.  No excuses. 

I don't like the running down of CBB that is pervasive throughout the board, but he made excuses about the offensive line.  First it was that they were too successful, so they went to the NFL before expected, and then it was that they missed on some key recruits that they were counting on, and last but not least...they had some that "just didn't get it," and weren't improving at all. 

That's why I keep going back to recruiting.  That's where we are lacking, and I'm encouraged by how much emphasis he has placed on it, and how well they have done despite being behind the 8 ball.  I happen to think that he will need more of a dual threat QB for this system to be effective, but we'll see!   

bigred223

• Hogvillian
« Reply #130 on: August 15, 2018, 10:00:49 am »

This is exactly how i feel about it. I do think people are underestimating the talent that is currently on the roster. However, if the O-line play is bad, and we don't have consistency at the QB position, then it won't matter how many good TEs and RBs we have. I'm excited, but I also understand that we should be grateful to even reach a bowl this year.

AirWarren

• Uncommonly, Unfinished Business.
« Reply #131 on: August 15, 2018, 10:18:41 am »

QB:
Ty Storey 4*
Connor Noland 4*

RB:
Chase Hayden 4*
TJ Hammonds 4*
Devwah Whaley 4*

WR:

TE:
Jeremy Patton 4*
CJ O'Grady 4*

OL:
Hjalte Froholdt 4*
Jalen Merrick 4*
Brian Wallace 4*

DL:
Briston Guidry 4*
Sosa Agim 4*/ 5*
Jamario Bell 4*
Austin Capps 4*

LB:
Bumper Pool 4*

DB:
LaDarius Bishop 4*
Montaric Brown 4*
Chevin Calloway 4*

On paper.

Perspective.

I like it.

AirWarren

• Uncommonly, Unfinished Business.
« Reply #132 on: August 15, 2018, 10:20:26 am »

I think the transition will have several bumps, but I do see 7 winable games.

I also think our OL will be better fit for this offense than what Coach B wanted to do. Hopefully they will prove all the worry warts wrong.

little pigee

• I'll get back to you on that...
« Reply #133 on: August 15, 2018, 08:34:10 pm »

I also think our OL will be better fit for this offense than what Coach B wanted to do. Hopefully they will prove all the worry warts wrong.
Just don't say.... I like 7 with the bowl.  Give me another glass of koolaid! 

HogPharmer

« Reply #134 on: August 15, 2018, 09:27:52 pm »

Moving the ball quicker (i.e. working from the shotgun) and options with the QB reading the defense (provided our QB is competent enough to read defenses and make the right calls) that allow him to do the right thing with the ball should significantly lift the burden on the O-line. With B.B., plays took a long time to develop. Simply allowing plays to develop much faster, coupled with more options on what to do with the ball after it’s snapped should really help the O-line at the very least.

urkillnmesmalls

« Reply #135 on: August 16, 2018, 08:23:01 am »

Moving the ball quicker (i.e. working from the shotgun) and options with the QB reading the defense (provided our QB is competent enough to read defenses and make the right calls) that allow him to do the right thing with the ball should significantly lift the burden on the O-line. With B.B., plays took a long time to develop. Simply allowing plays to develop much faster, coupled with more options on what to do with the ball after it’s snapped should really help the O-line at the very least.

That's a positive outlook, and I hope that pans out.  I remember once when Ole Miss ran a WR screen on us about 5 plays in a row at WMS several years back, and we couldn't stop it to save our lives.  It was almost like Freeze was taunting us.  That play too ZERO offensive line play, other than having to at least stand your ground for .5 seconds.  With some creative sheming, and finding some guys who can make defenders miss on the outside, hopefully we can use some lateral strikes to help with the vertical, and we won't have to blow open holes up front as routinely.  We'll see!! 

DeltaBoy

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I'm Un-Reconstructed. Sic semper tyrannis
« Reply #136 on: August 16, 2018, 08:28:31 am »

My head says 4-6 wins;  heart says 6-8 and a bowl win.

urkillnmesmalls

« Reply #137 on: August 16, 2018, 09:06:34 am »

My head says 4-6 wins;  heart says 6-8 and a bowl win.

I'd probably go right between with your chin.  6 wins and a bowl game.  I am cautiously optimistic that we'll win all the non-conference games, and sneak in wins against two SEC teams.  I'm not sure who those will be, but I think we'll have chances against Vandy, Ole Miss, Mizzou, and lesser but possible chances against MS State and LSU.  Remember...we get Vandy, Ole Miss, and LSU at home.  I keep reminding myself that although our record stunk last season, we were in a LOT of those games until late, despite not having an identity on offense, and playing a passive, reactive defense.  Other than some select games, we weren't getting blown off the field consistently.  That breeds hope.   

I won't be surprised at all if Orgeron takes another step toward proving he's at best an average HC, and LSU is a bit of a stinker this season.  I think we'll take solid curb stompings by Bama and Auburn, and while I want to think we can compete with TAMU...I just think the talent gap is a little wide at this point in the proceedings.  I would feel better if that game was later in the year.

Getting Vandy and Ole Miss at home...represents our best chances.  That gets us to 6 with non-con wins.  Not putting ALL of my eggs in that basket, but I'd put most of 'em in there.   ;) 

liljo

« Reply #138 on: August 16, 2018, 09:20:53 am »

I'd probably go right between with your chin.  6 wins and a bowl game.  I am cautiously optimistic that we'll win all the non-conference games, and sneak in wins against two SEC teams.  I'm not sure who those will be, but I think we'll have chances against Vandy, Ole Miss, Mizzou, and lesser but possible chances against MS State and LSU.  Remember...we get Vandy, Ole Miss, and LSU at home.  I keep reminding myself that although our record stunk last season, we were in a LOT of those games until late, despite not having an identity on offense, and playing a passive, reactive defense.  Other than some select games, we weren't getting blown off the field consistently.  That breeds hope.   

I won't be surprised at all if Orgeron takes another step toward proving he's at best an average HC, and LSU is a bit of a stinker this season.  I think we'll take solid curb stompings by Bama and Auburn, and while I want to think we can compete with TAMU...I just think the talent gap is a little wide at this point in the proceedings.  I would feel better if that game was later in the year.

Getting Vandy and Ole Miss at home...represents our best chances.  That gets us to 6 with non-con wins.  Not putting ALL of my eggs in that basket, but I'd put most of 'em in there.   ;) 

I don't know exactly why, but I've a feeling we are going to shred LSU this year. Throttle 'em.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #139 on: August 16, 2018, 10:45:06 am »

That's a positive outlook, and I hope that pans out.  I remember once when Ole Miss ran a WR screen on us about 5 plays in a row at WMS several years back, and we couldn't stop it to save our lives.  It was almost like Freeze was taunting us.  That play too ZERO offensive line play, other than having to at least stand your ground for .5 seconds.  With some creative sheming, and finding some guys who can make defenders miss on the outside, hopefully we can use some lateral strikes to help with the vertical, and we won't have to blow open holes up front as routinely.  We'll see!! 

I remember that happening against Ole Miss. I also remember that the Hogs won that game. Freeze, even with his best teams, could never lead Ole Miss to a win over Bielema's Hogs. That's one of the few good things that can be said about Bielema and it's one of the reasons I'm picking the Hogs to beat Ole Miss this year.

LRhawg926

• Senior
« Reply #140 on: August 16, 2018, 11:00:36 am »

I don't know exactly why, but I've a feeling we are going to shred LSU this year. Throttle 'em.

I have the same feeling! I'm almost 100% certain we beat LSU this year. We catch them after our bye week, and I just live the fire this staff brings!

HogPharmer

« Reply #141 on: August 16, 2018, 11:05:12 am »

I remember that happening against Ole Miss. I also remember that the Hogs won that game. Freeze, even with his best teams, could never lead Ole Miss to a win over Bielema's Hogs. That's one of the few good things that can be said about Bielema and it's one of the reasons I'm picking the Hogs to beat Ole Miss this year.

He's talking about 2012. And we lost that game when OM kicked a field goal to win it as time expired.

The hogs have not beaten Ole Miss in Little Rock since 1988.

LRHawg

• This too shall pass
« Reply #142 on: August 16, 2018, 11:13:19 am »

Looking at the defensive lines and defenses of our opponents, I see 6 winnable games, MAYBE 7. Morris seems pretty smart so I think he will find a way to get us to a bowl this year.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #143 on: August 16, 2018, 11:24:52 am »

He's talking about 2012. And we lost that game when OM kicked a field goal to win it as time expired.

The hogs have not beaten Ole Miss in Little Rock since 1988.

Yeah, that was when Smiley was interim HC and was a horrible year. It was the last time the Hogs lost to Ole Miss. The Hogs have beaten the Rebels 5 years in a row.

HogPharmer

« Reply #144 on: August 16, 2018, 11:27:27 am »

Yeah, that was when Smiley was interim HC and was a horrible year. It was the last time the Hogs lost to Ole Miss. The Hogs have beaten the Rebels 5 years in a row.

I'm aware of all that. You said the Hogs won that game. We didn't.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #145 on: August 16, 2018, 11:28:57 am »

I'm aware of all that. You said the Hogs won that game. We didn't.

My mistake. I though he was referring to the 2013 game. My apologies.

rhames

« Reply #146 on: August 16, 2018, 11:36:02 am »

Who won in 2013?

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs and Go Mike Anderson!
« Reply #147 on: August 16, 2018, 01:20:21 pm »

Who won in 2013?
Hint - we were 0-8 in conference.

urkillnmesmalls

« Reply #148 on: August 17, 2018, 10:30:22 am »

...and if we do, that's right behind EVENTUALLY beating Bama for me.  There's no love loss between me and LSU, and despite many people on this board trying to convince me that I had two unlucky experiences, there's not a team and fan base I would rather see lose than LSU's.  Recently I happened upon a replay of their game with Troy last season, and I watched it...just to see their sourpuss fans leaving early, in shock.   ;D 

wildturkey8

« Reply #149 on: August 17, 2018, 11:06:57 am »

...and if we do, that's right behind EVENTUALLY beating Bama for me.  There's no love loss between me and LSU, and despite many people on this board trying to convince me that I had two unlucky experiences, there's not a team and fan base I would rather see lose than LSU's.  Recently I happened upon a replay of their game with Troy last season, and I watched it...just to see their sourpuss fans leaving early, in shock.   ;D 
LSU was a machine in the 00's but not now.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas