• 10,015,722 Posts
• 401,466 Topics
• 22,976 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Brandon Martin?  (Read 3089 times)

diveplayon4thn20

• Bench Warmer
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Brandon Martin?
« on: August 07, 2018, 12:47:14 pm »

Is Martin no longer part of the program permanently, or does he have a chance to regain his eligibility? He was one of the top blue chips CBB reeled in in 2017 at a "need" position after losing Morgan, Hatcher, Reed, etc after the 2016 season. I know injuries limited his contributions last season and now this happened. He has 1st round measurables and everyone would have liked to see what he could do if he played up to his enormous potential. I apologize if this is an old topic but was hoping he can make it back. Anyone know?

imtad16

Re: Brandon Martin?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2018, 12:52:06 pm »

Is Martin no longer part of the program permanently, or does he have a chance to regain his eligibility? He was one of the top blue chips CBB reeled in in 2017 at a "need" position after losing Morgan, Hatcher, Reed, etc after the 2016 season. I know injuries limited his contributions last season and now this happened. He has 1st round measurables and everyone would have liked to see what he could do if he played up to his enormous potential. I apologize if this is an old topic but was hoping he can make it back. Anyone know?

I have seen academics and or football burnout mentioned as reasons for his absence on here. It's been all quiet on the Brandon Martin front that is for sure.

If it's academics he should be sitting down with Randy Ramsey on how to move forward. I have been so impressed with Randy Ramsey's response to his initial academic issues and just how he got it all together to contribute and get back on track academically. Impressive course correction.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Rock City Razorback

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2018, 12:53:12 pm »

Doesn't look like he'll ever make it back, especially with bringing in a guy like Harrell and how recruiting is going at WR. Coaches seem to have moved on from him. For his sake, I hope he is able to finish school, even if that means never playing again. But if he's not mentally prepared, then battle is lost before it's begun. I can only imagine how hard school and football is to balance, even with all of the resources. As much as some want to be there just for football, that's not how it works. It's still a University. Bet he's kicking himself too with this new system and how they utilized Sutton. Luckily, Pettway has a chacne to shine and if Harrell can pickup the offense, he has the body and experience.

hogsfan31

• Senior
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2018, 12:59:39 pm »

The only thing holding Brandon Martin back is Brandon Martin. He had a chance to really shine this year. Seems like this staff has moved on. He just didnít want it.

AirWarren

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Football impotence of the Midwest
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2018, 01:03:00 pm »

The only thing holding Brandon Martin back is Brandon Martin. He had a chance to really shine this year. Seems like this staff has moved on. He just didnít want it.

This Harrell kid looks the part. Iím interested in seeing him in real game play.

hogsfan31

• Senior
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2018, 01:04:39 pm »

This Harrell kid looks the part. Iím interested in seeing him in real game play.

Me too. He looks like he can be a BEAST for us.

Uncle Remus

• Varsity
  • Whatya hear...whatya say?!?
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2018, 01:20:26 pm »

If you have not done so...watch Last Chance U.  This has provided such a new insight for me into the JUCO ranks and the challenges the coaches and players face there.  So many of these guys have very little motivation to practice...and even less motivation to work on grades.  They want to put the pads on come Saturday and perform...then hang out and claim injury the rest of the week.  The work ethic is not there and it's mind blowing how many talented young men just have zero interest in anything other than playing in a football game.  Rakeem Boyd seemed to have the light come on for him while at Independence, but the lack of commitment early on is definitely enough to make one concerned.  I hope he has turned the corner and really bought in, otherwise, he may be left in the right lane wondering what happened.

hogsfan31

• Senior
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2018, 01:38:04 pm »

Jeremy Patton is another I think may hve a monster year this year.

opineonswine

• Global Moderator
  • Go Hogs!
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2018, 01:39:52 pm »

Jeremy Patton is another I think may hve a monster year this year.

Rock City Razorback

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2018, 02:01:21 pm »

If you have not done so...watch Last Chance U.  This has provided such a new insight for me into the JUCO ranks and the challenges the coaches and players face there.  So many of these guys have very little motivation to practice...and even less motivation to work on grades.  They want to put the pads on come Saturday and perform...then hang out and claim injury the rest of the week.  The work ethic is not there and it's mind blowing how many talented young men just have zero interest in anything other than playing in a football game.  Rakeem Boyd seemed to have the light come on for him while at Independence, but the lack of commitment early on is definitely enough to make one concerned.  I hope he has turned the corner and really bought in, otherwise, he may be left in the right lane wondering what happened.

Which really makes zero sense. What else do you have to do in the cities where JUCOs are besides get after it in practice and lift weights? That's what Spaight did and look what he made happen for him!

diveplayon4thn20

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2018, 02:29:14 pm »

Me too. He looks like he can be a BEAST for us.

I guess I am behind, but who is this Harrell y'all are talking about? Grad transfer? Where did he come from and when?  What are his measurable? Sorry for asking so many questions.. Thanks!

010HogFan

• All-American Hogvillian
  • I Got Dat Wood Coach
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2018, 02:30:26 pm »

I guess I am behind, but who is this Harrell y'all are talking about? Grad transfer? Where did he come from and when?  What are his measurable? Sorry for asking so many questions.. Thanks!

WR from Kansas. Grad transfer. Certainly looks the part. Looks like Gronk but a little skinnier.

AirWarren

• Football impotence of the Midwest
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2018, 02:30:38 pm »

https://247sports.com/Player/Chase-Harrell-20549

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
  • You like my stripes, I know you do.
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2018, 02:40:38 pm »

Which really makes zero sense. What else do you have to do in the cities where JUCOs are besides get after it in practice and lift weights? That's what Spaight did and look what he made happen for him!

There is one MAIN reason a d1 talent is at a juco --- grade issues. And most grade issues are cause by a lack of desire. The grades required to get into most d1 schools are not that big of an issue for anyone if they will put the effort into their school work. It is amazing how many of these kids can spend hours practicing routes, lifting weights, etc, but they can't spend an hr a night doing homework.

So then they get to juco, they are usually the one of, if not the best player on the field every Sat, and by far are the best on the practice field, so the lack of dedication to work bleeds over from academics to athletics. So they scrape by and make the grades to get to d1 but then they have no idea how to keep doing the work. Even with all the resources available to them.

Rock City Razorback

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2018, 03:43:51 pm »

There is one MAIN reason a d1 talent is at a juco --- grade issues. And most grade issues are cause by a lack of desire. The grades required to get into most d1 schools are not that big of an issue for anyone if they will put the effort into their school work. It is amazing how many of these kids can spend hours practicing routes, lifting weights, etc, but they can't spend an hr a night doing homework.

So then they get to juco, they are usually the one of, if not the best player on the field every Sat, and by far are the best on the practice field, so the lack of dedication to work bleeds over from academics to athletics. So they scrape by and make the grades to get to d1 but then they have no idea how to keep doing the work. Even with all the resources available to them.

I agree. Unfortunately, culture plays a major role and some kids are never taught anything else. And when you're praised for being good at something, other areas are easily neglected. Especially when that becomes your identity. Like in the season of Last Chance U that was just released. It was shown over and over again how the English teacher would tell the player you're more than football. Because that's all he had been seen as by others. And when he was struggling to find playing time, it takes away his sense of identity. Compound that with being homesick, and it's easy to not be driven to succeed in school. There are multiple factors. BUT as I first mentioned; if your focus is to get to DI to play football and get out of JUCO as quickly as possible, there's little to nothing else to do but practice and study.

Otis Kirk

• Global Moderator
  • Hogvillian
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2018, 04:58:06 pm »

I don't think Chad has ever said he won't be back, maybe he did and I missed it in the transition, but I would put odds at 99.9 percent he never plays here again.

Otis Kirk

• Global Moderator
  • Hogvillian
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2018, 05:03:11 pm »

He is a grad transfer from Kansas with two years of eligibility remaining. He caught 25 passes for 231 yards and 3 touchdowns as a sophomore last season. On the Arkansas roster, he is listed at 6-4, 215. He is from Huffman, Texas. Jared Cornelius had some nice things to say about Harrell in my story on here Friday night. As the one poster here said he looks the part. I think he will help. He is wearing Jersey No. 14.

HogFoo

« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2018, 09:40:21 pm »

Theres a movie from the early 90s i guess it was..  The Program.   I remember a part where one of the star players who played DE or LB, i cant remember.  He was the one that would yell at the other players saying they beat up his sister and how he recognized them haha..  he did that to all the opposing players trying to get in their heads, anyways.  i remember a part where he is in class and he's having to do remedial stuff.  heck seems like he cant read even.   but then, he's in the lockeroom and the coaches are going over film and he is calling out play after play , knows everything to do, knows everywhere to be , who to cover etc..etc...  i've always wondered if that's how it really was.  i am sure it was years ago when players used to supposedly major in basket weaving.   probably not so much now.    but yeah.  usually, when someone goes to juco it is because of grades or that they have a learning disability that wasnt diagnosed soon enough.  And sometimes, it is because they didnt take school serious enough and were lazy. 

trphog

« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2018, 04:46:53 am »

Theres a movie from the early 90s i guess it was..  The Program.   I remember a part where one of the star players who played DE or LB, i cant remember.  He was the one that would yell at the other players saying they beat up his sister and how he recognized them haha..  he did that to all the opposing players trying to get in their heads, anyways.  i remember a part where he is in class and he's having to do remedial stuff.  heck seems like he cant read even.   but then, he's in the lockeroom and the coaches are going over film and he is calling out play after play , knows everything to do, knows everywhere to be , who to cover etc..etc...  i've always wondered if that's how it really was.  i am sure it was years ago when players used to supposedly major in basket weaving.   probably not so much now.    but yeah.  usually, when someone goes to juco it is because of grades or that they have a learning disability that wasnt diagnosed soon enough.  And sometimes, it is because they didnt take school serious enough and were lazy. 

Alvin Mack, I believe was the player's name in the movie.

Kevin

• Gold Hogvillian
  • RIP LILY, WE MISS YOU DEARLY
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2018, 05:04:57 am »

another bust. move on

RazorRed26

« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2018, 05:23:51 am »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1WGxNKA5tI

AugustaHog

« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2018, 09:07:03 am »

I don't think Chad has ever said he won't be back, maybe he did and I missed it in the transition, but I would put odds at 99.9 percent he never plays here again.
I think what you are saying is essentially what CCM said in an interview I heard, possibly from the golf tourney.  He kept getting questions about Martin and was noncommittal.  Pretty much saying he's not a part of the team at this time, etc.  Standard coach stuff.  Then he was asked do you expect him back ever and he quickly said that he didn't foresee that happening.  I gathered that he really didn't want to talk about it a whole lot.  Maybe he's not at liberty to say much.  He all but closed the door though.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas