• 10,013,888 Posts
• 401,388 Topics
• 22,976 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: NWA Public Courses  (Read 1558 times)

Wooderson

NWA Public Courses
« on: August 07, 2018, 07:24:02 am »

Am I the only one that finds it strange that with all of the population growth of NWA that Stonebridge is the only public course that seems to flourish?  Drove by Valley View the other day and it looked horrible.  It didn't even look like it was open.

What is the condition of Big Sugar this year?  Do all the cheaper Bella Vista courses keep it from getting enough play to be properly cared for?  Or is it just so hard and gimmicky that people stay away?

widespreadsooie

Re: NWA Public Courses
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2018, 08:35:15 am »

This has been an issue with me for several years now. I've never played BV's courses but know people who have and have determined the drive from Fay probably isn't worth it with SB in your backyard. There should be more options around Fayetteville. Big Sugar is in good shape last I played it about 3 months ago and a decent option to SB, as is the Creeks in Cave Springs. Even though golf courses tend to be money pits, someone could do some good things (for the public and themselves) if they committed to it.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Hawgndaaz

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2018, 09:29:35 am »

It's incredibly hard to make money at a public course these days. You have to charge 45-60 bucks just to stay afloat. In AR there's so many lindsey courses for 200/month dues. If you play once a week, you're insane not to be a member of one.

Lindsey courses are basically subsidized public course memberships

widespreadsooie

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2018, 10:32:38 am »

It's incredibly hard to make money at a public course these days. You have to charge 45-60 bucks just to stay afloat. In AR there's so many lindsey courses for 200/month dues. If you play once a week, you're insane not to be a member of one.

There's plenty of money in NWA and I think people would be glad to pay 45-60 to play an above average public course. Any membership will require at least a year contract which is a huge deterrent for me.

CabotHog87

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Hear My Train A Comin'
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2018, 10:44:57 am »

There's plenty of money in NWA and I think people would be glad to pay 45-60 to play an above average public course. Any membership will require at least a year contract which is a huge deterrent for me.

This is my dilemma. I've lived in Fayetteville for 5 years now and I'd love to join somewhere, but once you sign up, you've now made that a fixed monthly expense for yourself for at least the next year. Right now, I have full control over how much or how little I play and therefore how much or how little I pay.

Boarcephus

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Houston, hell no we ain't forgettin!!
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2018, 10:57:59 am »

This is my dilemma. I've lived in Fayetteville for 5 years now and I'd love to join somewhere, but once you sign up, you've now made that a fixed monthly expense for yourself for at least the next year. Right now, I have full control over how much or how little I play and therefore how much or how little I pay.

And there you have it.  You don't generally play a lot Dec through February but those $600 worth of dues will be paid.  One good thing about Lost Springs is they have a darn nice workout facility so if you have a gym membership you won't need it up there. 

Eagle Crest in Alma is a nice layout. 

widespreadsooie

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2018, 11:07:32 am »

Right. I could justify something around $150 or $200 for Apr. thru Oct. but not the other months.

Grizzlyfan

• Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2018, 11:53:25 am »

I'm not sure 45-60 dollars will touch it.  Look at the green fees at the daily fee courses in Branson.

cc

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2018, 05:59:15 pm »

Itís been several years since I played Valley View but best I remember is that it was a pretty good course.  Hate to hear that they are not keeping it up as well.  Iíve played Lost Springs and Paradise up there and enjoyed both.  Lindsey has some great deals in that I can join one and play any of the others for a cart fee. 

widespreadsooie

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2018, 08:29:17 pm »

Itís been several years since I played Valley View but best I remember is that it was a pretty good course.  Hate to hear that they are not keeping it up as well.  Iíve played Lost Springs and Paradise up there and enjoyed both.  Lindsey has some great deals in that I can join one and play any of the others for a cart fee. 

Problem with a Lindsey deal is that it excludes Paradise and Lost Springs. Those two are a separate memberships at almost twice the cost. If you do the cheaper one you're subject to apartment complex golf and management which is trash. I lived at the Links in Fayetteville for two years and there could easily be 15 people waiting to tee off.

majestic

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2018, 03:17:47 pm »

I'm a member at PV and played there yesterday with my son-in-law. The course is in great shape, except for the nasty pond scum infested water. Why they won't install a couple more fountains to keep the ponds clean, I will never understand. Nolan was playing behind us by himself so we let him play through.

I played Stonebridge three weeks ago and it was pretty burned up. I think they take advantage of the fact that they have the only public course close to Fayetteville. I haven't played the Creeks in years but I've heard it is in great shape. I hate the elevated greens, though.

Evan told me yesterday that PV is now on golfsomething app and will allow you to play without a membership. I'll probably do that instead of renewing my membership.

MikePiazza

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Chicks dig the long ball
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2018, 08:54:33 pm »

Valley View is trash. It would be great if someone would come in and put some money into it. The fairways are alright but the greens are atrocious. They look decent from the highway, then you get on one of them and there's bumps everywhere, holes from bugs, just awful. The bunkers are just hardened dirt.

Played the Creeks today in a scramble, it's definitely in great shape. The elevated greens are annoying but if you've played the course before (which I have plenty) it doesn't bother you.

I need to play Paradise and Big Sugar, haven't gotten around to either one. Love Stonebridge obviously. 

Boarcephus

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2018, 07:25:41 am »

Evan told me yesterday that PV is now on golfsomething app and will allow you to play without a membership. I'll probably do that instead of renewing my membership.

Haven't heard that but that's interesting.  Makes you wonder what the benefits of membership in a private CC are if anyone off the street can play the same course. 

Hog2010

• Band Nerd
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2018, 11:25:20 am »

What app is Paradise Valley on!?

widespreadsooie

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2018, 01:07:05 pm »

Personally, I'm not sure why anyone would pay $60 at PV as opposed to $42 at SB. Or even $42 at the Creeks. Creeks is a fun course but have had some issues with their management. I only play it now when they're running a special.

cosmodrum

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Today, we are teaching poodles how to fly...
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2018, 01:16:03 pm »

Personally, I'm not sure why anyone would pay $60 at PV as opposed to $42 at SB. Or even $42 at the Creeks. Creeks is a fun course but have had some issues with their management. I only play it now when they're running a special.

PV has that old school feel some people prefer. The greens have always been terrific when I've played it, albeit it's been a few years.

majestic

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2018, 01:19:01 pm »

Haven't heard that but that's interesting.  Makes you wonder what the benefits of membership in a private CC are if anyone off the street can play the same course. 
Supposed to be very limited number of tee times....

majestic

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2018, 01:19:18 pm »

Guest fee is $45 at PV.

widespreadsooie

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2018, 01:36:54 pm »

Guest fee is $45 at PV.

Glad to hear they've come down since I played last.

Boarcephus

« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2018, 03:03:37 pm »

Supposed to be very limited number of tee times....

If you play during the week they don't set tee times.  When you're staring at $200 a month dues with zero amenities, that $45 a round is not a bad deal especially when you're not playing during the winter months. 

majestic

« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2018, 03:43:23 pm »

If you play during the week they don't set tee times.  When you're staring at $200 a month dues with zero amenities, that $45 a round is not a bad deal especially when you're not playing during the winter months. 
Oh, I agree. I as much as told Evan that I'd probably keep paying the $200 until October, or so, and then just start paying the $45 after that. There is some sort of disconnect going on with Lindsey courses since Al took over at PV. A mailer or two ago it was communicated that the new deal was cart fees covered at other Lindsey courses instead of green fees. The other courses must have missed the memo, though, since I've played at two other courses and only been charged for a cart.

$200/month is still a screaming deal if you play a lot. I don't, unfortunately, and I figure that over the year I've been a member at PV a round costs me about $125. I told Evan that I'd be willing to prepay for 25 or 30 rounds at $45 per if that would remove the restriction of the golfapp scheduling. He said he didn't think that would be possible but would ask Al.

I really like the course. It's about 3 minutes from my house and I take clients and family to play there. I think they would be better off running it like Stonebridge, though, and it sounds like that's the way they are headed. Now, sell beer, enforce tee times/grouping and get rid of the pond scum!

Boarcephus

« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2018, 04:09:09 pm »

I understand the other owners have tried to buy Al out but he won't take their offers and that's a shame.  He is not an asset for the club.

I turn 65 in Feb next year and my dues drop to $180.  I'll approach Al in January and see if he'll agree to start the $180 then and I'll go ahead and pay for the year in advance and that would make my dues around $165.  The course is fun to play and it's a mile from my house.  I got bored quickly with Lost Springs but they do have some nice amenities which would make the dues a little easier to swallow.

majestic

« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2018, 04:15:56 pm »

I understand the other owners have tried to buy Al out but he won't take their offers and that's a shame.  He is not an asset for the club.

I turn 65 in Feb next year and my dues drop to $180.  I'll approach Al in January and see if he'll agree to start the $180 then and I'll go ahead and pay for the year in advance and that would make my dues around $165.  The course is fun to play and it's a mile from my house.  I got bored quickly with Lost Springs but they do have some nice amenities which would make the dues a little easier to swallow.
I'll go one better.... Al is a dick. The two times that I took members from Lost Springs with me, he just happend to be there and made them feel totally unwelcome.

Boarcephus

« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2018, 04:24:22 pm »

I'll go one better.... Al is a dick. The two times that I took members from Lost Springs with me, he just happend to be there and made them feel totally unwelcome.

LOL!!  I don't know of a single person who would disagree with you. 

majestic

« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2018, 04:26:25 pm »

LOL!!  I don't know of a single person who would disagree with you. 
What is his ownership %?

Boarcephus

« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2018, 04:44:02 pm »

What is his ownership %?

I understand there are 3 owners so I'm guessing 1/3.

majestic

« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2018, 04:46:12 pm »

I understand there are 3 owners so I'm guessing 1/3.

Jim and who else?

Boarcephus

« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2018, 05:00:06 pm »

Drawing a blank on his name.  Seems like its Trammel or something along that line but I could be wrong.  I'll find out. 

Boarcephus

« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2018, 06:24:49 pm »

Man named Rutledge of First Security.   I understand all three are equal partners.

ricepig

« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2018, 06:40:30 pm »

Man named Rutledge of First Security.   I understand all three are equal partners.

Yeah, Reynie has a few coins.

majestic

« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2018, 06:50:06 pm »

Ah, 1st Security. Took my $35 out of there years ago.

cosmodrum

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2018, 07:07:55 pm »

When I was a Lindsey member at centennial and played at Lost Springs the lady in the pro shop was not happy I was there.

Boarcephus

« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2018, 07:33:39 pm »

When I was a Lindsey member at centennial and played at Lost Springs the lady in the pro shop was not happy I was there.

We road tripped a couple years ago and played both Nutters Chapel and Centennial one day.  NC sucked but Centennial was darned nice!  Loved playing down the fairways looking in the backyards of the homes.  Had no idea there was that kind of money in Conway. 

cosmodrum

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2018, 10:26:49 pm »

We road tripped a couple years ago and played both Nutters Chapel and Centennial one day.  NC sucked but Centennial was darned nice!  Loved playing down the fairways looking in the backyards of the homes.  Had no idea there was that kind of money in Conway. 

Yeah most everyone that I know that has worked in the cvcc shop over the years have been pleasant folks. And yeah there is some money in Conway, and some folks with bigger mortgages than they need...

Boarcephus

« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2018, 07:10:50 am »

Yeah most everyone that I know that has worked in the cvcc shop over the years have been pleasant folks. And yeah there is some money in Conway, and some folks with bigger mortgages than they need...

Conway doesn't have an exclusive on folks with bigger mortgages than they can afford, take a drive through Covington in Fayetteville.   :)   Whether they can afford it or not, those backyards were awesome.  Big outdoor fireplaces, pools with waterfalls, etc. 

Wooderson

« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2018, 09:00:00 am »

I'm a member at PV and played there yesterday with my son-in-law. The course is in great shape, except for the nasty pond scum infested water. Why they won't install a couple more fountains to keep the ponds clean, I will never understand. Nolan was playing behind us by himself so we let him play through.

I played Stonebridge three weeks ago and it was pretty burned up. I think they take advantage of the fact that they have the only public course close to Fayetteville. I haven't played the Creeks in years but I've heard it is in great shape. I hate the elevated greens, though.

I recently heard that PV was offering some tee times to the public.  I've never played PV, Lost Springs, Pinnacle, Blessings, or Shadow Valley.  Played every other course in NWA but those.  Need to find a way to get on the rest.  What's PV like?

majestic

« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2018, 09:32:38 am »

It's nice, but probably 4th on your list. Good luck getting on to the Blessings.

Wooderson

« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2018, 10:31:46 am »

It's nice, but probably 4th on your list. Good luck getting on to the Blessings.

Oh I know that will be impossible.  Look forward to attending the NCAA's there though.

kingofdequeen

« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2018, 08:43:24 am »

it's probably not that difficult to get on. 

widespreadsooie

« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2018, 09:01:18 am »

Oh I know that will be impossible.  Look forward to attending the NCAA's there though.

You either know someone well enough who can get you on or you don't. I was lucky enough for my roommate at the time to be dating John Tyson's daughter.

Hog2010

• Band Nerd
« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2018, 02:39:27 pm »

Has anyone played Blessings since the renovation?  What are some of the big changes?

cosmodrum

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2018, 04:43:07 pm »

it's probably not that difficult to get on. 

Probably gotta blow someone but that shouldn't be a problem

majestic

« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2018, 04:47:56 pm »

Probably gotta blow someone but that shouldn't be a problem
Want me to get you on?

cosmodrum

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2018, 04:48:39 pm »

Want me to get you on?

As long as I dont have to get you off

majestic

« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2018, 04:55:48 pm »

As long as I dont have to get you off
No deal then.

Gohogs600

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #45 on: August 17, 2018, 06:46:14 pm »

Has anyone played Blessings since the renovation?  What are some of the big changes?

Played multiple times as the renovation continues to wrap up. Poor luck with weather created challenges with the original timeline, but itís recently wrapped up. They continue to make smaller modifications through the summer.

The renovation was first rate, well thought out, and also cuts a significant length off the walking distance. Make no mistake, itís still a VERY long walk, but less severe than pre renovation.

They touched every hole in some way through the process, to varying degrees. On the new front (the course was re-routed in the remodel), one par 4 went to a 5, one par 5 went to a 4, and one par 3 went to a 4. On the new back, one par 5 was converted to a tough par 4.

The old first hole was replaced, and 4 additional greens were fully rebuilt in the process. Some things wonít change. Still long. Still extremely difficult. The course was re-rated early this spring, so feel free to check out the new course rating and slope on USGA. Itís got teeth to say the least.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 08:03:13 pm by Gohogs600 »

widespreadsooie

« Reply #46 on: August 17, 2018, 07:22:00 pm »

Played multiple times as the renovation continues to wrap up. Poor luck with weather created challenges with the original timeline, but itís recently wrapped up. They continue to make smaller modifications through the summer.

The renovation was first rate, well thought out, and also cuts a significant length off the walking distance. Make no mistake, itís still a VERY long walk, but less severe than pre renovation.

They touched every hole in some way through the process, to varying degrees. On the new front (the course was re-routed in the remodel), one par 4 went to a 5, one par 5 went to a 4, and one par 3 went to a 4. On the back, a par 5 went to a long par 4. On the new back, one par 5 was converted to a tough par 4.

The old first hole was replaced, and 4 additional greens were fully rebuilt in the process. Some things wonít change. Still long. Still extremely difficult. The course was re-rated early this spring, so feel free to check out the new course rating and slope on USGA. Itís got teeth to say the least.

I break 80 about three times a Summer between playing Stonebridge and The Creeks. The Summer I played the Blessings, I was at the top of my game and hit the ball well enough to break 80 at the first two courses I mentioned. I barely broke 90. I think it was an 87, maybe a 88. Was presented with so many shots I'm hardly used to or used to at all. It was a lot of fun. 

Gohogs600

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #47 on: August 17, 2018, 07:42:16 pm »

I break 80 about three times a Summer between playing Stonebridge and The Creeks. The Summer I played the Blessings, I was at the top of my game and hit the ball well enough to break 80 at the first two courses I mentioned. I barely broke 90. I think it was an 87, maybe a 88. Was presented with so many shots I'm hardly used to or used to at all. It was a lot of fun.

I enjoy the course, provided you have the right mindset going in. Itís tough on everyone that plays it. What tees did you play? Regardless, any round under 90 is solid, especially on a first try.

widespreadsooie

« Reply #48 on: August 18, 2018, 12:10:44 pm »

I enjoy the course, provided you have the right mindset going in. Itís tough on everyone that plays it. What tees did you play? Regardless, any round under 90 is solid, especially on a first try.

Are there brown tees? I think that's what it was but unsure. It was two sets in front of tips though.

Gohogs600

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #49 on: August 18, 2018, 12:14:38 pm »

Are there brown tees? I think that's what it was but unsure. It was two sets in front of tips though.

Yes. Brown play a little longer than the member tees, which they move around from time to time. The course can play pretty long on some holes from the browns for most players (myself included).
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas