• 10,015,773 Posts
• 401,466 Topics
• 22,976 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chad Morris’ first Arkansas offense should be prolific. Now about that defense..  (Read 3969 times)

PrimalBoar

Quote from: SB Nation
So it’s time to start over with a new identity. We don’t know that Morris’ will work, but we know he’s got one, in some ways the direct opposite of the last one. Instead of being bigger than your opponent, it’s time to be faster.

Quote from: Chad Morris
“We want [tempo] to be a lifestyle, how you live your life,” Morris said. “The decisions you make affect so many people. It’s a brand. That’s the biggest thing we want our guys to understand. This is far more than just a saying.”

Everything about Morris’ SMU was based on tempo and speed. Everything featured the #PonyUpTempo hashtag. The Mustangs were going to operate at, at worst, an above-average tempo. They were going to create space and force you to make one-on-one tackles. They were going to pass a lot. They were going to try to wear you out before their own defense did.

Now it’s #HammerDown. He tweeted it a couple dozen times in July.

The identity worked. He inherited a 1-11 team from June Jones, and after a 2-10 Year Zero, he won five games, then seven. (The next good defense he has will be his first, but maybe that would have come along, had he stayed for more than three years.)

Morris’ identity is probably even stronger than Bielema’s. And if he can teach it, he’ll do well in Fayetteville.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2018/8/1/17570232/arkansas-football-2018-preview-schedule-roster

An interesting and very in-depth, number crunching article from SB Nation about the transition from the Bret Bielema style of offense (and defense) to Morris' much more frenetic pace. Haven't seen this posted yet, but I enjoyed the read.

Wild Boarnado

• Senior
  • Do unto others as you would have them do to you

Great read and analysis - thanks for the link.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Nadine Coyle shakin it for the Hogs!!!!

Everything about Morris’ SMU was based on tempo and speed. Everything featured the #PonyUpTempo hashtag. The Mustangs were going to operate at, at worst, an above-average tempo. They were going to create space and force you to make one-on-one tackles. They were going to pass a lot. They were going to try to wear you out before their own defense did.

Now it’s #HammerDown. He tweeted it a couple dozen times in July.

The identity worked. He inherited a 1-11 team from June Jones, and after a 2-10 Year Zero, he won five games, then seven. (The next good defense he has will be his first, but maybe that would have come along, had he stayed for more than three years.)

Morris’ identity is probably even stronger than Bielema’s. And if he can teach it, he’ll do well in Fayetteville.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2018/8/1/17570232/arkansas-football-2018-preview-schedule-roster

An interesting and very in-depth, number crunching article from SB Nation about the transition from the Bret Bielema style of offense (and defense) to Morris' much more frenetic pace. Haven't seen this posted yet, but I enjoyed the read.

As for the defensive part that you mentioned, I'll just post what I posted in another thread about what I found in looking at what Steve Caldwell usually produces with D-Line coaching with regard to rushing defense. This should give us some hope.

Over the last 8 years (3 at Arkansas, 1 at Ark St, 4 at Boise State) Caldwell's Defense/front 4/LB's have averaged the following.

#46.4 Run Defense, 38.5 carries/gm for 147.8 rush yds/gm averaging 3.8 YPC, 6.5 TFL/gm for 26 yards with 1 TFL in every 5.9 rushing attempts, 2.5 Sacks/gm for 16.5 sack yds and 1 sack in every 12.7 passing attempts. And...none of that accounts for Chavis' tendency to dial up greater pressure with his defense.

I might add that during those 8 seasons Caldwell's defensive front never gave up 5 YPC. The most was his lone season at Ark St when they allowed 4.7 YPC. The next highest? 2011 at Arkansas and 2013 at Boise St where his D-Lines averaged allowing 4.3 YPC. The other 5 seasons his D-Line averaged allowing 131.5 YPG rushing and 3.5 YPC.

bigpigpimpin

First offense prolific?  ;D

Have you seen our qb play?

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian

None of us have, not yet anyway. And a few practices in the spring don't mean a thing. Let's wait and see what Morris and Craddock produce.

swinesation

Our defense will be better than our offense this year.

Rock City Razorback

It will be opposite this year. The offense will sputter, especially early, due to adjusting to new style/QB/OL. But the OL will gel, especially once Wagner and Hays get more experience, and hopefully provide a solid run game with our bevy of backs. The defense will be surprising. However, I think by the end of the year, offense will start to click and the defense will start to get tired because once again lacking depth. Fingers crossed no more injuries!

liljo

Hey y'all, I got another batch of Cool-Aid ready. Anybody thirsty?

I think the Hogs will be just fine offensively. I think the coaches knew early on they had the personnel on the roster right now to score points, thus the primary focus so far has been on recruiting for defense. Now, I certainly think the offense will be much better in future seasons, but I do think they'll score plenty of points THIS year.

Likewise, I think the defense will be much improved this year. Last year, teams converted 47.5% of their third down attempts against the Razorbacks. Opponents converted 77 of 162 third down attempts against us. If that number were cut by 15, Arkansas would have ranked in the top 60, instead of #121 out of 129 teams...Just two more stops per game would be 24 less conversions, which would have been a 32.7% rating and ranked the Razorbacks 18th in that very key category.

Offenses will so very often create their own 3rd and long situations. Not every possession, but quite often through a game, even the best offenses are facing 3rd and 10. THAT is when Chavis' defenses can get nasty. Last year A&M was 31st in third down defense, and 34th in team tackles for loss. Alabama was 30th and 24th in those two categories, good enough to win a National Championship.

havok

.... However, I think by the end of the year, offense will start to click and the defense will start to get tired because once again lacking depth. Fingers crossed no more injuries!

It is possible the Defense may be on the field "Less" this year as compared to last year.

When you balance/add up the time the defense is on the field when the offense (like last year) seemed to stall and have many many 3 and outs, sending the defense back on the field........... as opposed to an offense that quite possibly (Emphasis on Possibly since we don't know yet) will get a few more 1st downs before giving the ball back to the other team, it could be a wash in time or maybe even less time the defense is on the field.

Plus, if we get a few first downs, and the pace is quicker, it sure will help for us to punt 10-20+ yards further up field, than back where the drive started..thus, will be better for defense for sure.

EastTexasHog

Morris is an elite football coach.  His attention to detail and his commitment to excellence is unrivaled.  He will piece together a productive offense.  He will demand a top notch defense.  He reminds me so much of the ole ball coach. 

Al Boarland

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net

His attention to detail and his commitment to excellence is unrivaled. 

Have you ever heard of a guy named Nick Saban?

RyanMallettsEgo

• Take it easy, I'm pre-law.

Morris is an elite football coach.  His attention to detail and his commitment to excellence is unrivaled.  He will piece together a productive offense.  He will demand a top notch defense.  He reminds me so much of the ole ball coach.

Posts like this are why this place is so awesome.

Posts like this are also why posters here are ready to throw in the towel after one bad game.

Al Boarland

Posts like this are why this place is so awesome.

Posts like this are also why posters here are ready to throw in the towel after one bad game.

The amount of hyperbole used on this board is staggering. 

"One of the best in the country"

"Elite"

"Unrivaled"

liljo

The amount of hyperbole used on this board is staggering. 

"One of the best in the country"

"Elite"

"Unrivaled"

"Staggering"

RyanMallettsEgo

"Staggering"

Lol.

Do you really wanna compare the word "staggering" with the words "elite," "unrivaled," and "best" when discussing hyperbole?

liljo

Lol.

Do you really wanna compare the word "staggering" with the words "elite," "unrivaled," and "best" when discussing hyperbole?
No, because that would be "pointless." "Devoid of purpose." However, I may have an "outstanding" idea...Enjoy the Cool-Aide of Pre-season, my fellow Hogvillains (or is it Hogvillagers?)! Football is almost here, and it's going to be "fantastic." "Incredible!" "Phenomenal!" "Unbelievable!"

"Fantastic!"--Wait, I said that one already...

RyanMallettsEgo

No, because that would be "pointless." "Devoid of purpose." However, I may have an "outstanding" idea...Enjoy the Cool-Aide of Pre-season, my fellow Hogvillains (or is it Hogvillagers?)! Football is almost here, and it's going to be "fantastic." "Incredible!" "Phenomenal!" "Unbelievable!"

"Fantastic!"

Can I still enjoy it without thinking we'll win 7/8 games this year?

I think I can.

Biggus Piggus

• Escaped Journalist
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville: The mosh pit of Razorbackland

I am staggered.

I am staggering.

Two vastly different meanings.

liljo

Can I still enjoy it without thinking we'll win 7/8 games this year?

I think I can.

You bet'cha, you can! To each their own, my friend. In my mind, I see the Hogs going 6-6. In my heart, I see 7-5 to 9-3. In my dreams, well, that's different. We just kick everybody's arse and take all their women. We beat people and take THEIR goalposts down.

Go Hogs.

toddfromdesarc

Enjoy the Cool-Aide of Pre-season

The what?

The NewEra

The BIG, BIG, BIG Plus for this team is who we play the first three games.  The way this staff is coaching I expect to see exponential improvement on both sides of the ball from game one to the end of game three.  By game four this team will have an identity.  You learn ten times more from playing in a live game than you do from practice. They will likely have some swag to go with it. Just what the doctor ordered after the previous two years.

I'm even more convinced now than I was a few months ago that Morris is a really good coach.

BTW, any coach that can get us to 6-6 or better with the injury issues on the O-Line they've had deserves coach of the year.

pigture perfect

All I know is what I can speak to myself of myself. If CBB were still here and with the injuries we’ve had lately, I would say this season is hopeless. With a new coach and a new system and what he’s done so far, I have a glimmer of hope that we will surprise somebody and have a decent first year. Hope is a great commodity to have.

liljo

rtr

Bama fan or Auburn fan?  Have you ever considered the fact that maybe there are other coaches that have "attention to detail"?  No, of course you haven't because you do not want the Hogs to be successful.  Just admit it.

liljo

Bama fan or Auburn fan?  Have you ever considered the fact that maybe there are other coaches that have "attention to detail"?  No, of course you haven't because you do not want the Hogs to be successful.  Just admit it.

My guess is that Al is a Hog fan. There have been many posts that led me to believe otherwise, but I've concluded that he is the type that will always post negative, cutting, or needling posts because, if the Hogs lose at least he can come to Hogville and relieve himself by saying "I told you so." If the Hogs win, he can celebrate privately and wait for the next game.

Just my gut feel on many of this ilk.

I bet when the game is on they are twisted in knots, nervously rooting for them on every play. They curse every time the Hogs screw up. They groan with every successful play by the opponent. They rage with every bad call. But they have to cover all bases. They might even have two accounts here--one for posting when they win, and the other for needling when they lose...

Ah, the deceitfulness of the Internet!

Pork Twain

Have you?

George S. Pigton

Not much of an O-line to speak of and no proven QB, I say we struggle on O and the D improves

6 wins

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs and Go Mike Anderson!

31to6

I don't even know who our QB is!
I'm going to take a contrarian position on QB. I think we will be just fine, maybe even very good at QB.

We have a guy with zero meaningful playing time (Storey) in a credible competition with a guy (Cole) who was essentially thrown to the wolves but still put up reasonable numbers for a first year SEC QB with a wretched OL and no dependable running game, in a play-action offense with slow-developing play calls that put his back to the rush far too often.

Yes, it was ugly last year, but the dude was fighting for his life half of the snaps.

Even if the OL is bad, sitting back in the gun most of the time, these QBs will see what is coming and have a couple more seconds to find an outlet or at least get rid of the ball.

BigBrandonAllenFan

Coach Rocketman is here to save the Arkansas football day.  Coach Rocketman is a superhero football scientist.  Naysayers are in danger of getting smokepuffed by a vaporizer laser beam.

Oklahawg

• Resident Optimistic Pragmatist
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Pop Music at It's Finest

It will be opposite this year. The offense will sputter, especially early, due to adjusting to new style/QB/OL. But the OL will gel, especially once Wagner and Hays get more experience, and hopefully provide a solid run game with our bevy of backs. The defense will be surprising. However, I think by the end of the year, offense will start to click and the defense will start to get tired because once again lacking depth. Fingers crossed no more injuries!

I tend to agree - the defense will be ahead of the offense all year long.

Otis Kirk

• Global Moderator
  • Hogvillian

I think the offense will be fine if Ty or Cole or both take hold of that QB position. Someone has to take it and run with it there and pull away from rest. That or I could see him using Ty and Cole both til one takes charge in games.

DeltaBoy

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I'm Un-Reconstructed. Sic semper tyrannis

He crunched the Numbers and showed why the Hog Farmer's Son had to go!

Mike_e

• May the woo be with you

I think that the run game will be just fine.

Anybody remember San Francisco's ground game back when Bill Walsh was coaching?

The opposing defenses were so busy ducking from the bombs and crossfire routs even ordinary (ish- it was still the NFL) backs ran all day.

Pig in the Pokey

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Roastin da bomb in Fayettenam.

the old dude?

Pig in the Pokey

• Gold Hogvillian

All I know is what I can speak to myself of myself. If CBB were still here and with the injuries we’ve had lately, I would say this season is hopeless. With a new coach and a new system and what he’s done so far, I have a glimmer of hope that we will surprise somebody and have a decent first year. Hope is a great commodity to have.
Boy, aint that the truth! my 7-8 win projection would be 3-4 with bert.

factchecker

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • RAZORBACKS OR NOTHING!

Cole Kelley's #s weren't that bad anyways-- he went 87/151 - 57.6 completion % - 1038 yards - 8 TDS/4 INTs behind a horrible offensive line as a redshirt freshman.

Pig in the Pokey

• Gold Hogvillian

I think that the run game will be just fine.

Anybody remember San Francisco's ground game back when Bill Walsh was coaching?

The opposing defenses were so busy ducking from the bombs and crossfire routs even ordinary (ish- it was still the NFL) backs ran all day.
ricky waters was my boy

Pig in the Pokey

• Gold Hogvillian

Cole Kelley's #s weren't that bad anyways-- he went 87/151 - 57.6 completion % - 1038 yards - 8 TDS/4 INTs behind a horrible offensive line as a redshirt freshman.
horrid o-line
not prepared
out of shape
3*
play-action offense with no run threat

It was amazing tbh. I expect cole to shock hogville.

Pig in the Pokey

• Gold Hogvillian

"The Razorbacks’ point differential tells the story: plus-165 in 2014, plus-111 in 2015, minus-10 in 2016, minus-89 in 2017. In 2014, an 0-4 record in one-possession games prevented Arkansas from something amazing. By 2017, they needed a pair of tight wins (one a comeback win over Coastal Carolina) to avoid 2-10."

I love this stat. this is COACHING. % of solo tackles generated   Bert- 69.9% (98th)   Chad-85.4% (third)

Biggus Piggus

• Escaped Journalist
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville: The mosh pit of Razorbackland

I love this stat. this is COACHING. % of solo tackles generated   Bert- 69.9% (98th)   Chad-85.4% (third)

A lot of this has to do with how the stat keepers score things.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

• Gold Hogvillian
  • One tusk over the line sweet Jesus...

Has anybody.!?

hawgmasta

• Hogvillian
  • I have to return some videotapes.

I’m swimming in a pool of Kool-Aid, and let me tell ya, come on in boys the water is juuusst fiiinnee!

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian

"The Razorbacks’ point differential tells the story: plus-165 in 2014, plus-111 in 2015, minus-10 in 2016, minus-89 in 2017. In 2014, an 0-4 record in one-possession games prevented Arkansas from something amazing. By 2017, they needed a pair of tight wins (one a comeback win over Coastal Carolina) to avoid 2-10."

I assume that you mean offenses that force more solo tackles by the defense as opposed to more assisted tackles?

If so, maybe you need to read this.

https://www.footballstudyhall.com/2015/5/22/8634209/solo-tackles-and-the-aim-of-every-offense-spread

Michael D Huff AIA

• Senior
  • Calling the Hogs since 1974.

I am staggered.

I am staggering.

Two vastly different meanings.

It depends on what you've been drinking.

liljo

I assume that you mean offenses that force more solo tackles by the defense as opposed to more assisted tackles?

If so, maybe you need to read this.

https://www.footballstudyhall.com/2015/5/22/8634209/solo-tackles-and-the-aim-of-every-offense-spread

Good article. Great running teams win. They don't generate a lot of forced solo tackles simply because of the abundance of defenders near the point of attack, but teams that can consistently run the football well will always have great offenses.

What's the old saying? There's lies, damn lies, and statistics.

I keep going back to third-down defense. It was gut wrenching the past couple of seasons to see the Hogs force a 3rd & 10, only to give up an 11-yard pass or QB scramble. It just seemed like we absolutely could NOT make a big play on defense. That is the one area I expect to see improve this year. Yes, we'll STILL give up some third-and-longs--everyone does--but I BET we improve from our #121 ranking (only 8 teams were worse than us...).
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas