• 396,405 Topics
• 22,588 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: RB Production  (Read 2625 times)

EastTNHog

• Varsity
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
RB Production
« on: August 05, 2018, 06:42:20 pm »

Who finishes the season with the most rushing yards?

I may be in the minority, but I say TJ Hammonds. 

bennyl08

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Ever since the war I've had a drinking problem
Re: RB Production
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2018, 07:00:39 pm »

Eh, even Morris's staff is basically treating Hammonds the same way that Bielema and Co. did.

Whaley is the safest answer. If he can regain some of his freshmen season confidence back, then he's got the speed, power, and experience to do a lot.

Boyd is a bit of a wild card in that he too has a good blend of traits, but hasn't been here very long. Will not having gone through the 2017 lost season be an advantage for him? Or will not being here for spring and iirc much of summer hurt him?

Hayden has probably the best speed and burst with a surprising amount of power while Maleek has the best power with surprising burst and speed (think marshon lattimore from SC a while back).

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Hogindasticks

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2018, 07:03:40 pm »

Boyd will break the most big runs....plenty of break away speed.

Hogindasticks

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2018, 07:06:06 pm »

Boyd will break the most big runs....plenty of break away speed.
Maleek looks to be a power back now.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Nadine Coyle shakin it for the Hogs!!!!
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2018, 07:18:22 pm »

Eh, even Morris's staff is basically treating Hammonds the same way that Bielema and Co. did.

Whaley is the safest answer. If he can regain some of his freshmen season confidence back, then he's got the speed, power, and experience to do a lot.

Boyd is a bit of a wild card in that he too has a good blend of traits, but hasn't been here very long. Will not having gone through the 2017 lost season be an advantage for him? Or will not being here for spring and iirc much of summer hurt him?

Hayden has probably the best speed and burst with a surprising amount of power while Maleek has the best power with surprising burst and speed (think marshon lattimore from SC a while back).

JMO but I think that the most rushing yards will be between Whaley, Hayden and Maleek Williams. I'd like to think that Boyd will be able to gain significant yards as well but we don't know how quickly he is going to pick up the scheme so that he can play more than a handful of plays each game. Physically, Morris seems to be impressed with the off-season conditioning that he did on his own so that seems to be less of a concern, it's just getting the scheme down so he can play more, rather than less.

I don't think that Hammonds will be limited by opportunities but I'm not sure how many of those will be rushing attempts. His best opportunities to take advantage of his talents will probably be getting him the ball in space. He can be a big play guy for the Hogs when given those chances.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 05:27:51 am by MuskogeeHogFan »

snoblind

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2018, 08:24:26 pm »

What is TJ's background when it comes to kickoff & punt returns?

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2018, 08:33:17 pm »

I have no clue how this staff will divide up the RB snaps, but I'd guess who ever shows some of the better hands out of the backfield will get the most reps, oh and along with blitz pick up.

Hayden really really impressed me last year.  I just am not sure how there is enough football to go around for a backfield with this much potential. 

lumphog

• All-American Hogvillian
  • I love this picture
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2018, 08:57:14 pm »

CHASE..... Prophetic name, he WILL be Chased

VirginiaHog

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2018, 09:00:32 pm »

CHASE..... Prophetic name, he WILL be Chased
Hayden will be the most productive back

oldman1015

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2018, 09:06:21 pm »

If you canít pass block you canít play. Hammonds has to learn this.

AirWarren

• Uncommonly, Unfinished Business.
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2018, 09:40:49 pm »

If you canít pass block you canít play. Hammonds has to learn this.

Honestly, and I would hate it, but I suspect he could be a transfer after this year.

HOGINTENNESSEE

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Ryan Mallett: "I don't get nervous"
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2018, 10:45:51 pm »

It will be Devwah. He runs better out of the spread

OS2 (SW) Razor Back

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2018, 10:52:06 pm »

It's a nice problem to have.

EastTNHog

• Varsity
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2018, 10:54:34 pm »

It will be Devwah. He runs better out of the spread
What makes you say that?

1highhog

• Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat.
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2018, 10:03:30 am »

I think it will be Hayden getting the most yards this season, Boyd will be slowed by the late arrival but by mid season we may see just how good this guy can be.  I look for Whaley to have a bounce back year from last year, and he may surprise me and run for around 600yds. with and average 4.6 yds per carry.

« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2018, 10:19:49 am »

I am going to offer this and its just my opinion.  TJ Hammonds will play alot.  He will likely have the most YAC, yards after catch on the team.  He may catch passes for 800 plus yards this coming season.  The only thing slowing him down will be the defenses understanding that if he is in the game, its likely he who will get the ball OR if he gets a swelled head.  He may not have 150 yards rushing.  And I will ask this.  Does anyone on here really believe Hammonds had a golden opportunity to learn blocking schemes.  Honestly, he wasn't even run through the passing situations they put him in for.  Remember, the play he made the great play that got us all excited was a play he had never even walked through in practice or a game.  He went from memory watching other players go through it, run the route, got yh ball and turned it loose.

I think Whaley may live up to the Bret offering that he was the best RB he had ever coached, potential wise.  If Whaley has his head screwed on, he will go for a 1000 rushing this season.

rzrbk4life

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2018, 10:22:28 am »

I think with all the talent we have at RB this is definitely a good problem to have. Iím really excited to see what hammonds and boys can do this season. WPS

Pig in the Pokey

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Roastin da bomb in Fayettenam.
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2018, 10:27:14 am »

Who finishes the season with the most rushing yards?

I may be in the minority, but I say TJ Hammonds.

Pig in the Pokey

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2018, 10:28:24 am »

The best part? We all could be right!

Boyd
Hammonds
Hayden
Whaley
all 4* studs.

HOGINTENNESSEE

• Ryan Mallett: "I don't get nervous"
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2018, 10:53:55 am »

What makes you say that?

HS he was in a spread. some of his best runs came out of shotgun type formation the last 2 years

Rock City Razorback

« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2018, 01:42:09 pm »

Those that say Hammonds and Boyd have not been paying attention. Boyd is behind due to getting here late, a lot of just jumping on his bandwagon due to Last Chance U. He is a very good back, but don't see him contributing as much this year. Great thing is though, he has 3 to play 3. Hammonds will be used in more creative ways that the last staff promised but never delivered. Whaley will be the starter and be a good duo with Hayden, who will have the biggest runs. I think Whaley will have the most yards, as I think he'll stay the healthiest and have the most carries.

RyanMallettsEgo

• No, no, no, don't think of it as work.
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2018, 01:45:41 pm »

Those that say Hammonds and Boyd have not been paying attention. Boyd is behind due to getting here late, a lot of just jumping on his bandwagon due to Last Chance U. He is a very good back, but don't see him contributing as much this year. Great thing is though, he has 3 to play 3. Hammonds will be used in more creative ways that the last staff promised but never delivered. Whaley will be the starter and be a good duo with Hayden, who will have the biggest runs. I think Whaley will have the most yards, as I think he'll stay the healthiest and have the most carries.

Since he'll be so far behind, can you tell us the huge differences that he'll have to learn between the offense he was in at Independence and the offense he'll be in here?

If there's one position on the field where a guy can make an immediate impact, I'd argue hard for running back.

Rock City Razorback

« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2018, 03:48:14 pm »

Since he'll be so far behind, can you tell us the huge differences that he'll have to learn between the offense he was in at Independence and the offense he'll be in here?

If there's one position on the field where a guy can make an immediate impact, I'd argue hard for running back.

I don't follow Independence and have yet to see CCM coach a games as the Hog HC. I'm sure there are plenty of differences, even if they're the same style, which I'm not sure they are. Not only the lingo, but I'd say CCM is more advanced than Jason freakin Brown who doesn't even believe in play calling. Not only that, but the speed of the game. It helps he's practiced in the SEC everyday before, and also JUCO is easier to adjust from more so than HS, but still an adjustment. That should all go without saying. But yes, RB is for sure the most plug-and-play position. This offense is run first (so we've been told), but also wonder how good he is with pass pro

010HogFan

• I Got Dat Wood Coach
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2018, 03:52:01 pm »

Keem looks lightning quick from all the practice videos I've seen of him so far. I'm really excited about him

toddfromdesarc

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2018, 04:05:02 pm »

I don't follow Independence and have yet to see CCM coach a games as the Hog HC. I'm sure there are plenty of differences, even if they're the same style, which I'm not sure they are. Not only the lingo, but I'd say CCM is more advanced than Jason freakin Brown who doesn't even believe in play calling. Not only that, but the speed of the game. It helps he's practiced in the SEC everyday before, and also JUCO is easier to adjust from more so than HS, but still an adjustment. That should all go without saying. But yes, RB is for sure the most plug-and-play position. This offense is run first (so we've been told), but also wonder how good he is with pass pro

Think of how much more deadly Cam Newton and Auburn would have been if they could have implemented their whole offense. Why I'm always wary of JUCOs; always an adjustment period.

010HogFan

• I Got Dat Wood Coach
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2018, 04:16:39 pm »

Think of how much more deadly Cam Newton and Auburn would have been if they could have implemented their whole offense. Why I'm always wary of JUCOs; always an adjustment period.

I mean...he won a national championship lol.

diveplayon4thn20

• Band Nerd
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2018, 04:31:57 pm »

I doubt any one back will have a huge season statistically (1000+yds) unless we have a crazy rash of injuries that forces someone to carry a large bulk by necessity. Sure, we have numerous backs that are capable of putting up big numbers, but  in my opinon we will have  the back by commitee approach. Just speculating, but here goes my predictions: Whaley 812 yds, Hayden 731 yds, Boyd 504 yds, Hammonds will rush and receive for roughly 400 yds each for around 700-800 all purpose yds. Maleek Williams will have the fewest yds (300 or so), but  will have the most TDs of all the backs because he is the biggest and most physical runner, and will probably get the bulk of the touches in 1st and goal situations, as well as 3rd and short plays.

Pumbaa

« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2018, 04:45:35 pm »

Simply put, Hayden.

The Boar War

« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2018, 04:54:35 pm »

I mean...he won a national championship lol.

But he could have won by more.

hawginbigd1

« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2018, 05:11:24 pm »

I believe the current form of Devwah will have by far the most touches and the most yards. He is the total package of size and speed, and now that he has shed the unnecessary bulk he will light it up. We will get what we saw in glimpses 2 seasons ago.

SPAL

• Administrator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • I like Big Mike and I cannot lie
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2018, 05:11:50 pm »

Dont forget about Williams.....we have quality depth here

LAHogfan123

« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2018, 05:26:29 pm »

I see Hayden being the back with the most yds. with Hammonds being the "back" with the most electrifying touches, simply put, I think Hammonds will get fewer RB touches than Hayden and Whaley, but he'll get more balls whether they're handed, or thrown to him.

hawginbigd1

« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2018, 05:49:26 pm »

Dont forget about Williams.....we have quality depth here
Fortunately for us, but unfortunately for him, I think he gets left out again even though he has earned touches, but there are only so many balls. It looked as though Kendrick Jackson may get all the short yardage and goal line carries that might be a good spot for Maleek as well.

Tick Hog

• Hogville.net
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2018, 11:20:20 pm »

Iím not sure DW is our best back but Iím pretty sure heís the most complete and trusted. So I will go with him. Iíve also predicted that we will run the heck out of the ball at least this first year at a 60/40 rate. So theyíll all get chances.

nwahogfan1

« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2018, 10:16:25 am »

Whaley and Chase will get the most carries so will get the most yards.

Boyd and Hammonds will get the most screens and sweeps but not as many carries.

Williams is my wild card.  Morris seems to love his hunger to get better and he is our strongest back at 225 lbs but can he make that 1st tackler miss which gets you those extra yards and big runs?  I don't know yet but extremely hard worker and I love having him on the team.

010HogFan

• I Got Dat Wood Coach
« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2018, 10:34:57 am »

don't think people understand how good Boyd is. Biggest home run threat we've had since probably Knile Davis

AirWarren

« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2018, 10:55:21 am »

don't think people understand how good Boyd is. Biggest home run threat we've had since probably Knile Davis

People said that about Brandon Martin out of juco.

Iíll reserve my thoughts on him until he puts 100+ on the ground consistently in SEC play.

010HogFan

• I Got Dat Wood Coach
« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2018, 10:58:44 am »

Iíll reserve my thoughts on him until he puts 100+ on the ground consistently in SEC play.

Yeah, but that's a totally different guy at a totally different position. Wait and see ;)

AirWarren

« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2018, 11:02:18 am »

Yeah, but that's a totally different guy at a totally different position. Wait and see ;)

Oh Iíll be waiting! Anxiously.

bigred223

• Hogvillian
« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2018, 11:04:45 am »

Makes me sick that he couldn't handle his business and stay on the team. Guy had potential in this offense.

diveplayon4thn20

• Band Nerd
« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2018, 12:28:35 pm »

The best part? We all could be right!

Boyd
Hammonds
Hayden
Whaley
all 4* studs.
[/quo
It gets better! Don't forger that Maleek Williams also was rated 4 stars by a couple services and was consideed the top "big back" in south Florida. I know he has chiseled down to the 220 lb range after arriving on campus. He was over 230 in high school and when he first reported. Looked real good in the Red White game, hoping it cares over into the upcoming season. Best of blessings to him and the rest of the running backs!

Terryproy

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #41 on: August 07, 2018, 09:12:48 pm »

When talking about production the running back position entails more than yards. Blocking is the key to playing time.

cardinalandwhite

« Reply #42 on: August 07, 2018, 10:57:19 pm »

Some of you keep forgetting that we run a POWER spread. The bell cow will be someone who is able to run through tackles.

Pig in the Pokey

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2018, 01:03:20 am »

your eye for talent is ....

n/m

We are on Boyd b/c he is a FREAK OF NATURE

Pig in the Pokey

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #44 on: August 08, 2018, 01:04:06 am »

Some of you keep forgetting that we run a POWER spread. The bell cow will be someone who is able to run through tackles.
Boyd/Whaley should be that. But Boyd has that speed to house it.

Pig in the Pokey

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #45 on: August 08, 2018, 01:05:35 am »

oh yeah? What were Brandon Martin's eye poppin plays in JUCO.. Hint: you'll never find them. His rated is all based on measurables, not production.

Boyd has both. He is a bonafide stud. He rushed for 300 yards in teh BOWL GAME

ChitownHawg

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Head Hog coaching from above now.
« Reply #46 on: August 08, 2018, 04:03:02 am »

oh yeah? What were Brandon Martin's eye poppin plays in JUCO.. Hint: you'll never find them. His rated is all based on measurables, not production.

Boyd has both. He is a bonafide stud. He rushed for 300 yards in teh BOWL GAME

Were they playing an SEC defense? Also a lot is going to depend on our offensive line.

I think we need to cool it a bit until Boyd shows he can do it against SEC talent. I hope he does.

LZH

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Tight but Loose
« Reply #47 on: August 08, 2018, 04:07:54 am »

Is Martin off the team for good? For some reason I was thinking he was suspended and still has a chance to earn a spot again.

ChitownHawg

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Head Hog coaching from above now.
« Reply #48 on: August 08, 2018, 04:10:28 am »

Is Martin off the team for good? For some reason I was thinking he was suspended and still has a chance to earn a spot again.

Morris said he is off the team but seem to indicate he could work his way back on the team.

LZH

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Tight but Loose
« Reply #49 on: August 08, 2018, 04:14:49 am »

Morris said he is off the team but seem to indicate he could work his way back on the team.

Shame. There are too many activities, and resources available to players for them to consistently get into trouble.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas