• 9,932,301 Posts
• 399,391 Topics
• 22,897 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Kickoff rule makes no sense to me  (Read 210 times)

#hammerdown

Kickoff rule makes no sense to me
« on: August 04, 2018, 12:47:21 pm »

How is making the kicking team start from the los supposed to make less violent collisions?

Isnít a personís top speed typically found in 40 yards hence the 40 yard dash time?

Most injury collisions take place between the returner and guys who have run 60-70 yards to get to them.  With all the changes in kickoff rules that space is now reduced to occur at the peak of speed by the defender.

bennyl08

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Ever since the war I've had a drinking problem
Re: Kickoff rule makes no sense to me
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2018, 06:48:56 pm »

You usually reach top speed well before 40 yards.

Also, what are you talking about?

The new rule is pretty straightforward. Kickoffs had a lot of the big injuries because you had people running at top speed and then colliding full force.

The new rule largely eliminates that. The kicking team doesn't get the running start they used to, and the returning team has to have the vast majority of their players in a 15 yard range really close to the kicking team. Therefore, the distance and speed between the two has been decreased.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

holeinthewall

• Senior
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2018, 12:25:59 pm »

If you read the original release on the rule change they said they didn't want the receiving team being able to set up a wall or wedge going full speed and the kicking team then trying to break through which is where most injuries and the hardest hits happen.  Kicking team can block but they will be doing it while both teams are moving the same direction more like a punt.

#hammerdown

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2018, 07:41:51 pm »

If you read the original release on the rule change they said they didn't want the receiving team being able to set up a wall or wedge going full speed and the kicking team then trying to break through which is where most injuries and the hardest hits happen.  Kicking team can block but they will be doing it while both teams are moving the same direction more like a punt.

This makes sense

hog of steele

• Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2018, 07:53:47 pm »

I really like the idea that eliminates kickoff so in favor of calling it 4th and 25. Most teams will just punt and that is much safer than a ko. It's also a more interesting play as a fake punt or just going for it can help a team that needs to make up ground.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas