• 396,405 Topics
• 22,588 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: SEC STORIED  (Read 1225 times)

Boarmonger

• Varsity
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
SEC STORIED
« on: August 03, 2018, 08:43:51 am »

I watched the SEC STORIED program on Nolan Richardson last night for the second or third time.  Last night, it hit me that there is a bit of disservice in that show.  What they said was all very true but they left out some fairly important stuff that also contributed to Nolan's behavior.  That information that was completely left out was the NCAA with-hunt.  That event decimated the Hog's recruiting for years.  It was a witch-hunt that was later admitted to and the NCAA actually threw the UA and Sunday Adebayo a bone by granting Sunday and unprecedented sixth year.  To this day, that has still never happened again.

I say all this to ask some questions that I hope someone knows the answer to so I can gain some clarity.  I have lived out of state a long time and I have yet to see all the details that surround the NCAA's investigation.  So, what prompted the investigation?  Was the NCAA mad at UK so they came after UA (doubtful)?  Did someone make a claim to the NCAA about Arkansas recruiting (Rick Pitino?)?  Something had to start the ball rolling.  I have to admit that I had several unsavory scenarios rolling through my head last night as I mulled this over.  I'd appreciate the insight of those of you that know the details of what kicked it all off.

The bottom line is that Nolan was trying to "feed the monster" with one hand tied behind his back all while trying to deal with how JFB was treating him at the time.  No wonder he blew up.  Thanks in advance.

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
Re: SEC STORIED
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2018, 09:05:30 am »

Heard it was Alabama who alerted the NCAA although I believe Richard Williams at Miss St had something to do with it too.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

mykidsdad

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2018, 09:44:41 am »

I watched the SEC STORIED program on Nolan Richardson last night for the second or third time.  Last night, it hit me that there is a bit of disservice in that show.  What they said was all very true but they left out some fairly important stuff that also contributed to Nolan's behavior.  That information that was completely left out was the NCAA with-hunt.  That event decimated the Hog's recruiting for years.  It was a witch-hunt that was later admitted to and the NCAA actually threw the UA and Sunday Adebayo a bone by granting Sunday and unprecedented sixth year.  To this day, that has still never happened again.

I say all this to ask some questions that I hope someone knows the answer to so I can gain some clarity.  I have lived out of state a long time and I have yet to see all the details that surround the NCAA's investigation.  So, what prompted the investigation?  Was the NCAA mad at UK so they came after UA (doubtful)?  Did someone make a claim to the NCAA about Arkansas recruiting (Rick Pitino?)?  Something had to start the ball rolling.  I have to admit that I had several unsavory scenarios rolling through my head last night as I mulled this over.  I'd appreciate the insight of those of you that know the details of what kicked it all off.

The bottom line is that Nolan was trying to "feed the monster" with one hand tied behind his back all while trying to deal with how JFB was treating him at the time.  No wonder he blew up.  Thanks in advance.

Pretty certain it was norm Stewart. I think they were recruiting the same juncos and it started with that. Hence the focus on pate and Adebayo.

the other thing that is often overlooked is that the admin didnít really support the basketball program thru that ordeal. I think that is really what caused the rift with Nolan and Frank. It might have been that Frank was simply trying to protect the football team from the NCAA looking there (something that later happened anyway) , but to Nolan it was another injustice that he had to suffer and the non-support probably looked like something else.

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2018, 09:52:29 am »

Wasnít just Frank and Nolan.  White became Chancellor in 97 too and went on his mission to change the university including athletics.  Nolanís public attitude towards academics didnít mesh with White.  Plus the Kim Woods academic scandal.  White wanted the image changed. 

flippinhogmana

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Nathan J Allison - Brothers to the Bone Books
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2018, 10:16:16 am »

Here is an archived article from the Tulsa World on the subject.  The Tulsa World is a paper that remembers Nolan from his days at the University of Tulsa and what he did for that school.  Tulsa will always consider itself home for him (I lived in Tulsa then and still do).  Looking back at events years afterwards can sometimes dull the perception and recollection of what the specific events were at the time. 

I am sure there was a lot of jealousy going on back then from both SEC and national coaches over Nolan's success.  Arkansas was the hot school back then for black basketball players just as Georgetown had been previously.  In some ways Nolan took up the mantel of Georgetown coach John Thompson - and inherited some of the nation's best players because of it.  He also worked very hard, was a good recruiter and was a good coach.

Besides the external scrutiny there was also a bit of internal tension between hogs athletic AD Frank Broyles and Nolan.  FB was not a man who allowed his authority to be questioned.  Sometimes he could be generous, but often he was iconoclastic and rigid.  If he felt you had crossed him he could be unyieldingly severe with you.   Eddie Sutton had never trusted ADs in general and Frank Broyles in particular, that is why he demanded that it be in his contract that he have the title associate athletic director - and its authority. 

All that went into what happened as much as the official NCAA investigation.  But the allegations were real and the NCAA wound up going light on Nolan and the university - perhaps because of some of the things I have cited.  But the truth also needs to be told that Nolan had a bunch of players he lost not long before, Scotty Thurman, and Corliss Williamson, Clint McDaniel, Corey Beck, Stewart, Darnell Robinson, and several others - players who he loved and who loved him.  I dont think he ever had quite that same bond with other teams following that.  He had also been to the top of the mountain, achieved his dream - where do you go from there? 

Nolan also got more and more involved in politics at the time, and seemed to loose focus on basketball as much.  In truth his recruiting did drop off.  It wasn't just the investigation that caused that, and that is part of the reason (politics and a dropoff in recruiting) that led to the souring of the relationship with FB.

I loved Nolan Richardson and campaigned hard for the university to take a look at him when Sutton left, even though I hated for TU to lose him.  I knew his light was too bright to stay long in Tulsa anyway and if anyone was going to acquire his talents i hope it would be my even more beloved hogs.  I hold nothing but honor and respect for Nolan.  But that as much as I can write in a brief space is a synopsis of the surrounding events of that time and the scenario in play at the time. 

Did the NCAA investigation further undermine Nolan and dampen his enthusiasm - even make him a bit more belligerent?  I am sure it did.  Nolan was a strong willed man - just as Frank Broyles was.  That didnt help either.  It was an unfortunate turn of events that a lot of people played a part in - and some let get out of hand, one of those was Nolan.  I am glad that Nolan has been returned to a place of honor at the school and again feels welcome there, time can heal a lot of wounds. 

https://www.tulsaworld.com/archives/arkansas-basketball-under-fire/article_f527e43c-3164-5670-9cc7-7f9352bb74e9.html

Boarmonger

• Varsity
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2018, 11:02:16 am »

Thank you for the responses and the link.  It seems there were some substance to the charges but that seems to conflict with  Adebayo's granted sixth year of eligibility.  The linked article seems to lay out the charges and they seem to be pretty cut and dried and Ferritor seemed to agree with them at a high level though he also stated that he didn't agree with some of them.  If the actual violations were as portrayed in the article, I don't seem them granting that sixth year to Adebayo.

I appreciate the insight into Nolan's venture into politics and I can see where that cause JFB some consternation as it did with Holtz.  There seems to be more to this as I'm not sure I see the NCAA just going easy on Nolan.  I'm trying to look at this objectively but hey, it's the Hogs.  I'm not sure that's in me!

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs and Go Mike Anderson!
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2018, 11:19:32 am »

No attempt to derail here, but there was no mention of the AAU corruption, which Nolan Despised.  Times changed, Nolan wouldn't.

P. S. Nolan Richardson Court

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2018, 11:20:51 am »

No attempt to derail here, but there was no mention of the AAU corruption that Nolan despised.  Times changed, Nolan wouldn't.

P. S.  Nolan Richardson Court

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2018, 12:46:57 pm »

And Yvonne would have been 47 years old today.

NoogaHog

• Senior
  • WPS from Southern Appalachia
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2018, 03:20:12 pm »

P. S.  Nolan Richardson Court

Hear! Hear!

BigSexyHog

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2018, 08:35:56 pm »

I had forgotten about the NCAA witch hunt.  That is a good point to bring up and discuss cause it diffinatly had an impact. 

Boarmonger

• Varsity
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2018, 08:43:14 pm »

I had forgotten about the NCAA witch hunt.  That is a good point to bring up and discuss cause it diffinatly had an impact.

I completely agree.  To me, this played a major part in Nolan's frustration at the end and it built over years.  NCAA investigations take more than a couple of weeks.  I know what the article linked above said, and I know what Dan Ferritor stated about the allegations (i.e. Kim Wood) but for me, the NCAA doesn't give Adebayo a sixth year and UA doesn't get off with a hand slap if they don't screw something up.  I'm not clear on what it is they screwed up to cause the above but it seems to me that UA was exonerated.

DeltaBoy

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I'm Un-Reconstructed. Sic semper tyrannis
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2018, 11:50:54 am »

Wasnít just Frank and Nolan.  White became Chancellor in 97 too and went on his mission to change the university including athletics.  Nolanís public attitude towards academics didnít mesh with White.  Plus the Kim Woods academic scandal.  White wanted the image changed. 

Once again we see hiring John BOY White harmed our school for decades.

Biggus Piggus

• Escaped Journalist
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville: The mosh pit of Razorbackland
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2018, 10:48:06 am »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas