• 9,923,195 Posts
• 399,167 Topics
• 22,881 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday

Poll

Who do you think will start the MOST games at QB this year?

Kelley
Storey
Noland

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down

Author Topic: QB Battle  (Read 17227 times)

AirWarren

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Uncommonly, Unfinished Business.
Re: QB Battle
« Reply #300 on: August 10, 2018, 09:27:28 am »

Most of the guys listed as offensive linemen on their roster are below 6 ft. There are a few at 6’1”. I’m not saying he couldn’t come in and get the job done but to say his height is not a disadvantage is asinine. I truly hope that, if given the opportunity, he comes in and lights it up for us. But we are still in the SEC and, more times than not, size matters.

This couldn’t wouldn’t get a second sniff by folks if his name was James Jackson.

hawgwash

« Reply #301 on: August 10, 2018, 09:28:01 am »

Mallett was 24th in the country in completion percentage and 22nd in attempts in 2010.

To have a 64.7% completion percentage over 411 attempts shows some accuracy.
If Ryan Mallett was on this year's roster this thread wouldn't exist.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

AirWarren

« Reply #302 on: August 10, 2018, 09:29:50 am »

I dunno. We have “lineage” on the roster. I would bet that we would have this same discussion.

twistitup

« Reply #303 on: August 10, 2018, 09:31:52 am »

Most of the guys listed as offensive linemen on their roster are below 6 ft. There are a few at 6’1”. I’m not saying he couldn’t come in and get the job done but to say his height is not a disadvantage is asinine. I truly hope that, if given the opportunity, he comes in and lights it up for us. But we are still in the SEC and, more times than not, size matters.

Yeah. ok.

Did you conveniently forget to post the link? I'd like to see it...

twistitup

« Reply #304 on: August 10, 2018, 09:32:15 am »

Common sense

twistitup

« Reply #305 on: August 10, 2018, 09:33:25 am »

This couldn’t wouldn’t get a second sniff by folks if his name was James Jackson.

If James did what JSJ did in hs, why would we NOT be interested?

factchecker

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • RAZORBACKS OR NOTHING!
« Reply #306 on: August 10, 2018, 09:34:46 am »

Most of the guys listed as offensive linemen on their roster are below 6 ft. There are a few at 6’1”.
Their starting left tackle last season (Thomas Shelmire) is 6'3" 290 lbs - https://www.hudl.com/profile/6176356/Thomas-Shelmire

Their starting center last season (Matthew Sewall) is 6'4" 280 lbs. - https://www.hudl.com/profile/7355912/Matthew-Sewall

Their starting right tackle last season (Regan Riddle) is 6'2" 285 - https://www.hudl.com/profile/6353569/Regan-Riddle

Arkansas Hog in Dallas

« Reply #307 on: August 10, 2018, 09:36:26 am »

If James did what JSJ did in hs, why would we NOT be interested?

Most QB’s with D-1 offers light it up in High School

twistitup

« Reply #308 on: August 10, 2018, 09:39:26 am »

Most QB’s with D-1 offers light it up in High School

Very true, as did JSJ.

The respect for what he did in h.s. is very low. It's almost like his 'lineage' is a bad thing. The kid is a baller and rose to the occasion against the some of the nations best h.s. competition.

AirWarren

« Reply #309 on: August 10, 2018, 09:41:32 am »

Very true, as did JSJ.

The respect for what he did in h.s. is very low. It's almost like his 'lineage' is a bad thing. The kid is a baller and rose to the occasion against the some of the nations best h.s. competition.

I’ll respect it when he does it in the SEC and leads us to some wins. Same with Kelley, etc.

twistitup

« Reply #310 on: August 10, 2018, 09:44:46 am »

I’ll respect it when he does it in the SEC and leads us to some wins. Same with Kelley, etc.

I respect the past, and have hope for their future. How can a person not look at what he did in TX and respect that?

Recruiting is all about h.s football.....and you don't respect h.s. players and their accomplishments?

Ok

Arkansas Hog in Dallas

« Reply #311 on: August 10, 2018, 09:44:51 am »

Very true, as did JSJ.

You’re literally only looking at his high school stats because of his lineage.

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
  • You like my stripes, I know you do.
« Reply #312 on: August 10, 2018, 09:45:06 am »

Very true, as did JSJ.

I respect what he did in HS. I also respect the fact that only 4 d1 coaches saw fit to offer him a scholarship. There has to be a reason that 126 programs did not see the need to offer him one of their available scholarships.

There are lots of HS Qb's that rise to the occasion against good competition, that alone is not reason enough to recruit a kid.

twistitup

« Reply #313 on: August 10, 2018, 09:45:46 am »

No. I'm looking at his h.s. stats because he is a RAZORBACK

Good Try.

twistitup

« Reply #314 on: August 10, 2018, 09:47:40 am »

There are lots of HS Qb's that rise to the occasion against good competition, that alone is not reason enough to recruit a kid.

Correct... you recruit a kid because of winning attitiude, character, ability, stats, IQ, etc...he has everything except a couple inches in height.

AirWarren

« Reply #315 on: August 10, 2018, 09:55:31 am »

If this kid wasn’t  the grandson of Jerruh, he wouldn’t even be on the team. Same with the Kid from Springdale. You don’t turn your back on two “big donors”. You roll the red carpet out for them.

I wish them well and glad they are here but let’s be real here.

wildhogman

« Reply #316 on: August 10, 2018, 09:59:13 am »

This is what I have always said....where is the argument?

Do we have another qb that won on his level (and had those stats) against the competition he played against?
How many play off games has JSJ won?  Same as the other QB's. Up to this moment the only two of the top 4 QB's who have done anything at this level are Ty and CK. High school is like the wishbone. Yesterday's news.  Lets wait and see what they do in actual games against the likes of the SEC west

twistitup

« Reply #317 on: August 10, 2018, 10:01:03 am »

If this kid wasn’t  the grandson of Jerruh, he wouldn’t even be on the team. Same with the Kid from Springdale. You don’t turn your back on two “big donors”. You roll the red carpet out for them.

I wish them well and glad they are here but let’s be real here.

He has better h.s. stats and achievements than any other qb on the roster....call it a fluke or donor scholarship if you like, but you can't take away what he did in h.s against the nations TOP competition.

twistitup

« Reply #318 on: August 10, 2018, 10:03:22 am »

High school is like the wishbone. Yesterday's news. 

So...all colleges recruit off of 'yesterday's news' ...what's your point? Since CK and Storey have been here, they deserve the job? Hell no. CCM didn't choose those two, they aren't his guys.

May the best man win, that's how I see it. Is JSJ the best on the roster? Nobody knows

hawgsawjimdugan

« Reply #319 on: August 10, 2018, 10:08:24 am »

I respect what he did in HS. I also respect the fact that only 4 d1 coaches saw fit to offer him a scholarship. There has to be a reason that 126 programs did not see the need to offer him one of their available scholarships.

Dang dude.  You okay?  Did the Jones family wrong you in some way?  If not, how about a little optimism and respect for one of our hog recruits?

JSJ amassed 7965 passing yards 90 touchdowns against 12 picks on the highest stage in Texas HS football.  That’s not rising to the occasion... that is high level production for his entire HS career.  Give the kid credit where credit is due.  It looks like you are the one judging on lineage.  His height (neck and neck with Drew Brees, who’s had quite the NFL career- with minimal college offers) is what led to a smaller offer list for JSJ.

Speaking of offer lists...

P5 Offers
Cole Kelley (2): Okie State, Kentucky

JSJ (2): TTech, Kansas

WilsonHog

• Administrator
« Reply #320 on: August 10, 2018, 10:09:45 am »

First of all, a couple of y'all are getting a little "chippy" with each other in your discussion of our quarterbacks, and also easing up to the line of player bashing. This isn't life or death, and all any of us can do is talk about it. We affect nothing.

As for my take, I respect the fact that John Stephen played Texas high school football. I respect the fact that he won championships. That doesn't mean he is going to be see the field for as much as one down this year, nor that he needs to.

Outside of CM, Mike and Otis are our best sources of quality information right now, and they are seeing maybe 20 minutes of on-field practice. Even they are not in the QB room with our guys and Coach Craddock.

It'll play out like it is suppose to, and CM will play the quarterback(s) he deems most ready and capable - based on some factors we can know absolutely nothing about.

Mr. Barnett (rbarnet424)

« Reply #321 on: August 10, 2018, 10:14:21 am »

by the way perhaps its worthy of note that Connor Noland took snaps with the 1s yesterday while JSJ took snap with the 2s during practice.

twistitup

« Reply #322 on: August 10, 2018, 11:04:32 am »

by the way perhaps its worthy of note that Connor Noland took snaps with the 1s yesterday while JSJ took snap with the 2s during practice.

boy.....it sure went to crickets when you posted this.

I have a feeling our next qb will the the one most comfortable with the offense. JSJ and Noland naturally would be the most comfortable as they have been in similar offenses for years.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #323 on: August 10, 2018, 11:42:21 am »

boy.....it sure went to crickets when you posted this.

I have a feeling our next qb will the the one most comfortable with the offense. JSJ and Noland naturally would be the most comfortable as they have been in similar offenses for years.

Chad Morris stated the other day in a post practice press conference that there is a large gap between the top 2 (Kelley, Storey) and the other 3. Take that for what it's worth.

twistitup

« Reply #324 on: August 10, 2018, 11:48:17 am »

Chad Morris stated the other day in a post practice press conference that there is a large gap between the top 2 (Kelley, Storey) and the other 3. Take that for what it's worth.

got to be a link somewhere Guv...where is it?

The best will start, no argument there.

Pigsknuckles

• When you least expect it...
« Reply #325 on: August 10, 2018, 11:49:20 am »

Irwin said it will be Kelley unless something crazy happens.

Like Rafe Peavey transferring back.  ;)

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #326 on: August 10, 2018, 11:49:36 am »

got to be a link somewhere Guv...where is it?

The best will start, no argument there.

Ask Otis, he posted the info in one of his press conference threads.

I agree that the best will start and I'll be pulling hard for whoever it is.

3Scoreand10

• Varsity
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #327 on: August 10, 2018, 02:43:19 pm »

He has better h.s. stats and achievements than any other qb on the roster....call it a fluke or donor scholarship if you like, but you can't take away what he did in h.s against the nations TOP competition.

My question is ---Why is a kid who's family is so wealthy on scholarship?
We can use that scholarship on other needs.
Let grandpa pay his way.
Not putting the kid down, glad he is here, hope he contributes.

RyanMallettsEgo

• Take it easy, I'm pre-law.
« Reply #328 on: August 10, 2018, 02:46:32 pm »

Let grandpa pay his way.

Have you ever wanted to earn something for yourself in your life and to say that you earned something because of what you did, not because of who you're related to?

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
  • You like my stripes, I know you do.
« Reply #329 on: August 10, 2018, 02:52:44 pm »

Have you ever wanted to earn something for yourself in your life and to say that you earned something because of what you did, not because of who you're related to?

then you probably should not take a scholarship from the school in the state where your grandpa is a living legend.

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs and Go Mike Anderson!
« Reply #330 on: August 10, 2018, 02:56:53 pm »

Let grandpa pay his way.
Think of it as paying points on a loan that you don't have to pay back.

RyanMallettsEgo

• Take it easy, I'm pre-law.
« Reply #331 on: August 10, 2018, 02:58:10 pm »

then you probably should not take a scholarship from the school in the state where your grandpa is a living legend.

Or if out of all of your scholarship options, that happens to be the best one and draws you in the most...maybe you take it?

I don't think JSJ will ever set foot on the field, but at the end of the day he earned a scholarship to play QB at the University of Arkansas.

Maybe it was because of granddad, maybe not. At the end of the day, he can look in the mirror in 20 years and say he earned a football scholarship to an SEC school.

99.999999999999999% of us here can't do that.

Good for him.

3Scoreand10

• Varsity
« Reply #332 on: August 10, 2018, 03:10:04 pm »

I understand your point, but Why should my tax money pay for any kids college education when his family is rich?

I paid for my kids college and I ain't rich by a long shot.

I am glad the kid is here, wish him well, hope he contribulates, but not on my dollar when his family has billions.

hawgwash

« Reply #333 on: August 10, 2018, 03:12:24 pm »

I understand your point, but Why should my tax money pay for any kids college education when his family is rich?

I am glad the kid is here, wish him well, hope he contribulates, but not on my dollar when his family has billions.

I think his scholarship is being paid for by the Athletic Department from their own proceeds, not your tax dollars.  And overall, I'd say the Jones family has put in a bit more to the Athletic Department than they've taken out.

hogcards

• The Glimmer Twins
« Reply #334 on: August 10, 2018, 03:19:59 pm »

First of all, a couple of y'all are getting a little "chippy" with each other in your discussion of our quarterbacks, and also easing up to the line of player bashing. This isn't life or death, and all any of us can do is talk about it. We affect nothing.

As for my take, I respect the fact that John Stephen played Texas high school football. I respect the fact that he won championships. That doesn't mean he is going to be see the field for as much as one down this year, nor that he needs to.

Outside of CM, Mike and Otis are our best sources of quality information right now, and they are seeing maybe 20 minutes of on-field practice. Even they are not in the QB room with our guys and Coach Craddock.

It'll play out like it is suppose to, and CM will play the quarterback(s) he deems most ready and capable - based on some factors we can know absolutely nothing about.

Wilson:

Off topic, but what year is that yearly Razorback book from that you're using as your avatar?

Grizzlyfan

« Reply #335 on: August 10, 2018, 03:28:41 pm »

Speaking of quarterbacks, is anyone concerned that we don't have a center?

daBoar

« Reply #336 on: August 10, 2018, 03:42:11 pm »

His family contributes wildly more to the university than an individual schollie.  What's important to me is that JSJ desired to be a Hog.

3Scoreand10

• Varsity
« Reply #337 on: August 10, 2018, 03:49:06 pm »

I think his scholarship is being paid for by the Athletic Department from their own proceeds, not your tax dollars.  And overall, I'd say the Jones family has put in a bit more to the Athletic Department than they've taken out.

That may be true.
But if thay are so into supporting the program, why not pay the kids way and allow one of the walk-on that has already contributed have the scolarship.

I will leave it at that.

Shorttimer

« Reply #338 on: August 10, 2018, 03:50:24 pm »

You seriously want to travel this road?  What constitutes rich?  Hunter Henry could afford to go to PA.  Why did we offer him a scolly?

It's perfectly reasonable to believe that Jones shouldn't have a scholarship.  But I don't think we want to go down the list of recruits and pull offers based on financial ability to pay.

WilsonHog

• Administrator
« Reply #339 on: August 10, 2018, 03:53:36 pm »

Wilson:

Off topic, but what year is that yearly Razorback book from that you're using as your avatar?

That’s the 1978 edition of “Dave Campbell’s Arkansas Football.”

factchecker

• RAZORBACKS OR NOTHING!
« Reply #340 on: August 10, 2018, 03:54:00 pm »

By your logic you shouldn't even talk about the Razorbacks unless you are a donor or season ticket holder..... seeing that it is our money (more than a dollar) that funds the athletic department.

Just because you live in the state of Arkansas doesn't mean you get to dictate who gets athletic scholarships.

3Scoreand10

• Varsity
« Reply #341 on: August 10, 2018, 04:05:18 pm »

If I have offended anyone I am sorry.
Especially any of the kids who play sports or their families.

I love the Razorbacks.  Been a fan for 60 years.
But I just have a difficult time accepting the fact that some kids get a free education that their families could easily pay for when other struggle to stay in school.

WilsonHog

• Administrator
« Reply #342 on: August 10, 2018, 04:16:23 pm »

I am making this post now in an effort to keep from having to moderate later.

John Stephen Jones is a Razorback. In pursuing this line of discussion about his scholarship and his family (speaking of that, when have we allowed family members of players to be fair game?), some of you are walking right up to the line on player bashing. A couple of you have crossed it. If you want to go down that road, just know that the result will find the rest of us talking Razorback football while you are on the outside looking in. If it is worth that to you...go for it.

Iwastherein1969

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Hmm, halftme, today I'll have grape PB&J sammiches
« Reply #343 on: August 10, 2018, 04:40:45 pm »

If I have offended anyone I am sorry.
Especially any of the kids who play sports or their families.

I love the Razorbacks.  Been a fan for 60 years.
But I just have a difficult time accepting the fact that some kids get a free education that their families could easily pay for when other struggle to stay in school.
Sorry, but you don't run a football program with affirmative action programs as we are doing right now in our Federal Government and have so since 1965. If the kid deserves a scholarship, give him a scholarship, if he doesn't, walk on, or hit the bricks. Since JSJ has been offered, and rightly so IMO, his scholarship should be solid. Besides, truth be known, one imagines JSJ's schollie has been paid for (which by the way has benefitted other students) over and over and over and over with an infinitely long repeating OVER again. Just as in the movie KINGDOM OF HEAVEN when Balian de Ibelin said after the battle for Jerusalem, "....all have claim, none have claim"  in other words, I feel quite certain that CCM will put the guy out there who allows the Hogs the best chance to play up to our fullest potential.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 04:50:56 pm by Iwastherein1969 »

greenie

« Reply #344 on: August 10, 2018, 04:43:01 pm »

JSJ definitely lit it up against tough high school competition. If we didn’t snag him, he’d likely be at Texas Tech, who if I remember correctly, was also hard after him. Recruiting a qb out of high school is always a roll of the dice... we all know several 4*+ qbs that came to Fayetteville and didn’t do much.  That said, I’ll always take a flyer on a guy who over achieves and has swagger.  This is how I see JSJ.

Iwastherein1969

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Hmm, halftme, today I'll have grape PB&J sammiches
« Reply #345 on: August 10, 2018, 04:49:00 pm »

JSJ definitely lit it up against tough high school competition. If we didn’t snag him, he’d likely be at Texas Tech, who if I remember correctly, was also hard after him. Recruiting a qb out of high school is always a roll of the dice... we all know several 4*+ qbs that came to Fayetteville and didn’t do much.  That said, I’ll always take a flyer on a guy who over achieves and has swagger.  This is how I see JSJ.
did you watch the kid play against Manvel for the 5-A championship, a team that put 7 D-1 players on schollie ? Jones and #88 for Highland Park basically beat Manvel by themselves. Jones was as clutch in that game as ANY high school QB I've ever seen. I watched it live since I live on the Texas side of Texarkana we get all of the Texas High School championships on television.

« Reply #346 on: August 10, 2018, 04:52:20 pm »

I personally do not believe the UofA gave JSJ a schollie he didn't earn.  The Kid was trained by Tony Romo which is a blessing most folks didn't have but its not against the rules.  He came from a family of winners and folks that refuse to be denied.  Smaller Kids than him have made great college football players.  I bet he understands the finer points of the game better than the majority of the players on our team.  He has had that kind of opportunity by playing on a great Texas High School team and having a pro QB school him.  Good for him. 

greenie

« Reply #347 on: August 10, 2018, 05:00:58 pm »

did you watch the kid play against Manvel for the 5-A championship, a team that put 7 D-1 players on schollie ? Jones and #88 for Highland Park basically beat Manvel by themselves. Jones was as clutch in that game as ANY high school QB I've ever seen. I watched it live since I live on the Texas side of Texarkana we get all of the Texas High School championships on television.

No, but I’ve watched what film I could, and paid attention to guys like you that have seen him play. My impression is that he’s a gamer that rises to the occasion.

hawgon

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #348 on: August 10, 2018, 05:08:56 pm »

I don’t understand the antipathy towards the kid.  Some are just bound and determined to be negative no matter what.  If another kid is a hair’s breadth better, I want the best kid to play.  But the best story...the story most laden with potential destiny...is John Stephen Jones playing and leading us to glory.

The kid is the size of Doug Flutie.  That in and of itself would make a great story if he were to be a great player.  But the fact that he is a triple legacy Razorback and the grandson of one of the greatest Razorbacks ever?  Crap, that would be the best story ever.

If he became a good player, the publicity factor alone would be worth it.  There wouldn’t be a Cowboys game ever where the Razorbacks weren’t mentioned.

And if he never amounts to much, meh, no harm done.

LZH

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Tight but Loose
« Reply #349 on: August 10, 2018, 07:30:44 pm »

I guess I can understand the argument of using a scholarship on a player who is from a wealthy family that wanted to come to Arkansas anyway. But the fact is, he earned that scholarship....he earned it.

And what is up about so called Legacy players, especially quarterbacks? "The Allen brothers played and started because their daddy was a coach here...JSJ is here because of who his grandfather is." What gives? This is not some small private Ivy League-type school in the Northeast, this is the freaking SEC. If they weren't all-out good football players they wouldn't be here.

Geez, some people never cease to amaze me.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas