• 9,932,531 Posts
• 399,401 Topics
• 22,897 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday

Poll

Who do you think will start the MOST games at QB this year?

Kelley
Storey
Noland

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: QB Battle  (Read 17355 times)

hawgon

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Re: QB Battle
« Reply #100 on: August 01, 2018, 01:15:29 pm »

Good post. I've said it before and I'll say it again: As a passer, Kelley reminds me of Ryan Mallett but Kelley is a lot more mobile than Ryan was. Many on here seem to forget that early on, Ryan had trouble completing his short and medium range passes but that problem was corrected just as it will be corrected with Kelley.

Kelleyís arm is nothing like Malletís. 

urkillnmesmalls

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Experience: You get it just after you needed it!
« Reply #101 on: August 01, 2018, 01:20:21 pm »

I donít think Kelley is the answer but it is all guesswork at this point.  And even if he isnít the answer, he still might b the best we have this year.

Agreed, but I think he may surprise people.  He's not going to go down with arm tackles, and if he can be just mobile enough to gain a few yards here and there, that may be enough to keep the chains moving.  I don't think he's the next Tebow or Cam Newton, but he's a big guy...and there's something to be said for that when I think we may still struggle a little to block well.

I wouldn't call Baker Mayfield a running QB by any stretch, but he was good enough to be able to gash defenses if they didn't respect him taking off.  If Kelley can do that a few times early on...maybe it will at least keep the defense honest.   

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

RyanMallettsEgo

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Take it easy, I'm pre-law.
« Reply #102 on: August 01, 2018, 01:22:30 pm »

I'm all for playing the best-performing QB, whoever that turns out to be.  As I stated earlier in this thread, I don't have a "favorite" QB candidate.  Neither do I have anything against any QB candidate.  I am merely concerned about Hyatt's ability to sustain a steady pounding.  I would surely hate to see the young man suffer a major injury right off the bat; but that very real concern has nothing to do with any estimation of his skills set or aptitude.  If CM deems Hyatt to represent our best hope of success, then so be it.  I'm a confirmed Hogs fan.

So what's Hyatt supposed to do? Put on 30 pounds? Transfer to an offense where he won't get hit?

You're so incredibly concerned with him taking hits, what's the guy supposed to do?

urkillnmesmalls

« Reply #103 on: August 01, 2018, 01:27:21 pm »

Kelleyís arm is nothing like Malletís.

Still amazes me that he couldn't catch on as a starter in the NFL.  Just watching him throw the ball in pre-game was a sight to behold.  Patriot fans were in awe of his arm, even when compared to Brady.  Just goes to show...there's a lot more to it than just having a great arm.         

PharmacistHog

• Global Moderator
  • Gameday Goon
« Reply #104 on: August 01, 2018, 01:28:49 pm »

So what's Hyatt supposed to do? Put on 30 pounds? Transfer to an offense where he won't get hit?

You're so incredibly concerned with him taking hits, what's the guy supposed to do?

I think he is alluding to our OL which was just atrocious last year letting him get pounded if he's the guy this year.  But I could be wrong. 

RyanMallettsEgo

« Reply #105 on: August 01, 2018, 01:31:20 pm »

I think he is alluding to our OL which was just atrocious last year letting him get pounded if he's the guy this year.  But I could be wrong.

Good point, he could be.

Though he did say in one of his posts "If the slender QB goes in and completes several nice passes, - - and then goes out for the season on a serious injury after scampering for a 20 yard gain on a busted play,"

That's why I took it as him getting out of the pocket and running.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #106 on: August 01, 2018, 01:32:00 pm »

Kelley’s arm is nothing like Mallet’s. 

It's closer than you realize.

hawgon

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #107 on: August 01, 2018, 01:32:28 pm »

No, no it isnít.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #108 on: August 01, 2018, 01:36:05 pm »

No, no it isn’t.

Yes it is. Go watch the video of Kelley's 70 yard bomb at the Manning Passing camp. He was standing on the opposite 30 yard line and hit the receiver in stride at the 10 yard line.

twistitup

« Reply #109 on: August 01, 2018, 01:36:59 pm »

JSJ will battle and possibly come out on top. Don't underestimate him...

hawgon

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #110 on: August 01, 2018, 01:39:10 pm »

I would honestly love to see that happen. 

PharmacistHog

• Global Moderator
  • Gameday Goon
« Reply #111 on: August 01, 2018, 01:39:51 pm »

Good point, he could be.

Though he did say in one of his posts "If the slender QB goes in and completes several nice passes, - - and then goes out for the season on a serious injury after scampering for a 20 yard gain on a busted play,"

That's why I took it as him getting out of the pocket and running.

Well I'm still pissed about our OL last year, so my opinions are skewed I'm sure. 

urkillnmesmalls

« Reply #112 on: August 01, 2018, 01:40:28 pm »

Yes it is. Go watch the video of Kelley's 70 yard bomb at the Manning Passing camp. He was standing on the opposite 30 yard line and hit the receiver in stride at the 10 yard line.

Guv...that was in shorts, no pads, and he took about three full steps forward and threw it will every ounce of power he has, similar to a Hail Mary pass, ASSUMING the QB has time to uncork it. 

I put little stock in that, because it's not real world.  Just being able to throw a football 70 yards is probably a little ahead of most college QB's, who likely top out at around 60, but it's more important to have good footwork and be able to throw the ball quickly when the receivers are making their break and come open.  Mallet could do that for 40 yards with a wrist flick, and that puts him in elite arm strength category.

arthurhawgerelli

« Reply #113 on: August 01, 2018, 01:46:54 pm »

I have a friend who sees the qb's work every day.  He says Hyatt has the whole package, including a good arm.  The biggest problem is that his arm is unpredictable, and he definitely will stare a receiver down until the entire secondary is covering the man he's throwing to at times.

I predict Kelley starts, but Hyatt could end up being the main man.  I like Noland, but even though he's gained some weight, he and Jones will just be too small this year to make a big difference. 

Hawgphat

« Reply #114 on: August 01, 2018, 01:50:33 pm »

You're not wrong.  I don't want to disparage our OL by invoking last year.  Last year is gone.  I'm merely concerned that Hyatt's slight frame makes him far more susceptible to sustaining grievous injury. 

I'm not an athletic trainer.  I confidently presume that everything that CAN be done to build up Hyatt is BEING done.  At present, his stark leanness  simply appears to be a potent liability factor in regard to his projected durability.  I would also presume that Hyatt is actively engaged in doing everything he can possibly do to build himself up.

I repeat; I have absolutely NOTHING against Hyatt.  I simply perceive that he is at heightened risk of serious injury due to his relatively thin frame.  Surely you fine Hogs colleagues don't take it amiss that I am concerned about the young man's impending health risk factor.

If he truly proves to be the best we have RIGHT NOW, - - then, - by all means, - - play him.  I simply have a deep concern over the prospect of his abbreviated longevity at the major college level.  This isn't high school.

urkillnmesmalls

« Reply #115 on: August 01, 2018, 01:51:32 pm »

I have a friend who sees the qb's work every day.  He says Hyatt has the whole package, including a good arm.  The biggest problem is that his arm is unpredictable, and he definitely will stare a receiver down until the entire secondary is covering the man he's throwing to at times.

I predict Kelley starts, but Hyatt could end up being the main man.  I like Noland, but even though he's gained some weight, he and Jones will just be too small this year to make a big difference.

Love the moniker!   8) ;D   Good insight too.  It's why there are so many variables, and why some QB's work in some systems, but would fail miserably in others.  I'm sure right about now...Kelley knows he's not the ideal QB for that system, and he's probably wondering how he fits into the long term plans.  I'm not giving up on his ability to run.  I think he may surprise people by being able to bull forward ala Tebow, and make some positive things happen. 

RyanMallettsEgo

« Reply #116 on: August 01, 2018, 01:53:12 pm »

You're not wrong.  I don't want to disparage our OL by invoking last year.  Last year is gone.  I'm merely concerned that Hyatt's slight frame makes him far more susceptible to sustaining grievous injury. 

I'm not an athletic trainer.  I confidently presume that everything that CAN be done to build up Hyatt is BEING done.  At present, his stark leanness  simply appears to be a potent liability factor in regard to his projected durability.  I would also presume that Hyatt is actively engaged in doing everything he can possibly do to build himself up.

I repeat; I have absolutely NOTHING against Hyatt.  I simply perceive that he is at heightened risk of serious injury due to his relatively thin frame.  Surely you fine Hogs colleagues don't take it amiss that I am concerned about the young man's impending health risk factor.

If he truly proves to be the best we have RIGHT NOW, - - then, - by all means, - - play him.  I simply have a deep concern over the prospect of his abbreviated longevity at the major college level.  This isn't high school.

What about slot receivers that are 5'10'' 180lbs running across the middle of the field getting lit up by linebackers and safeties?

Hawgphat

« Reply #117 on: August 01, 2018, 02:02:04 pm »

What about slot receivers that are 5'10'' 180lbs running across the middle of the field getting lit up by linebackers and safeties?

If those 180 pounders - - AND HYATT - - can prove to "take a licking and keep on ticking" (like the old Timex Watch commercial jingle) then more power to them. 

Again, - - I'm not against Hyatt being our starting QB; I'm merely concerned for his well-being health wise.

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
  • You like my stripes, I know you do.
« Reply #118 on: August 01, 2018, 03:11:05 pm »

I would honestly love to see that happen. 

Why?

Haven't seen this much love for a qb here since Rafe signed his LOI.

hogcards

• The Glimmer Twins
« Reply #119 on: August 01, 2018, 03:13:28 pm »

I have to disagree.

threeNout

« Reply #120 on: August 01, 2018, 04:18:19 pm »

The experience is a big reason it'll be Kelley, but I think maybe an even bigger reason is the power run option.

3rd and 4 in the shotgun should be an automatic first down. The only way it's NOT "automatic" is if the defense is looking to stop it.

So you are compelling defenses to stop a QB power run on 3rd and 4.  checkmate. You have the DC over a barrel, what every OC wants to do.  CK allows CM to be innovative in ways few OCs can, I don't think he'll pass on the opportunity.

1highhog

• Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat.
« Reply #121 on: August 01, 2018, 04:39:02 pm »

Mallet could throw pinpoint strikes downfield with hardly any effort and no time to wind up, Kelley on the other hand can throw just as far, but so far hasn't shown the accuracy that Mallet had.  Some of this though can be blamed on our inexperienced WR's, and to me Malletts biggest problem was his short game, he never had the pinpoint accuracy in the 5-10 yard attempts, and he would throw them with the same velocity as the deep ball, ouch!

twistitup

« Reply #122 on: August 01, 2018, 06:38:42 pm »

Why?

Haven't seen this much love for a qb here since Rafe signed his LOI.

Don't hate

WooPig92

« Reply #123 on: August 02, 2018, 09:27:14 am »

Still amazes me that he couldn't catch on as a starter in the NFL.  Just watching him throw the ball in pre-game was a sight to behold.  Patriot fans were in awe of his arm, even when compared to Brady.  Just goes to show...there's a lot more to it than just having a great arm.       

I think Mallett's problem has always been his head and not his physical abilities

liljo

« Reply #124 on: August 02, 2018, 09:33:15 am »

The experience is a big reason it'll be Kelley, but I think maybe an even bigger reason is the power run option.

3rd and 4 in the shotgun should be an automatic first down. The only way it's NOT "automatic" is if the defense is looking to stop it.

So you are compelling defenses to stop a QB power run on 3rd and 4.  checkmate. You have the DC over a barrel, what every OC wants to do.  CK allows CM to be innovative in ways few OCs can, I don't think he'll pass on the opportunity.

Uh...

Vantage 8 dude

« Reply #125 on: August 02, 2018, 09:38:46 am »

I realize the OP asked for an opinion on who everyone thinks will play the most QB this coming season. At this point I'm not really sure. However, IF we have excellent competition for the starting position I'm not particularly worried. IMO competition tends to breed improvement; as long as one of the young men emerges as the clear starter I'm fine with whoever it might be. It's only if no one really distinguishes himself that I'll become far more concerned.

urkillnmesmalls

« Reply #126 on: August 02, 2018, 06:10:28 pm »

I think Mallett's problem has always been his head and not his physical abilities

Agree for the most part, although he was ripped on for having poor footwork at times, which was likely the result of getting away with being lazy with it due to the howitzer hanging from his right shoulder.  Which again gets to the point...there are a LOT of variables to being a good QB, and on a lot of CFB teams, there are a few kids who can throw the ball farther than the actual QB.  Throwing distance isn't a great indicator, even though it always looks impressive.  Great to have both...but Montana had a pop gun compared to Mallett....and I think it's safe to say average arm strength can still be very effective.

Dtechman

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #127 on: August 02, 2018, 07:33:01 pm »

You are delusional if you think JSJ takes the starting job as a true freshman. Whatever you are twisting up has clouded your judgement. I have a better chance of winning the lottery than that happening.  I am excited about JSJ, and impressed with his ability to win in a tough classification in Texas.  However, he was surrounded by good talent and attended a very wealthy school with every training benefit possible. He is not physically ready for the pounding of the SEC.  The kid is 5-10Ē and 180lbs. His height alone dictates the chances of him leading any team in this conference are low. His intangibles like field vision and awareness, as well as leadership will have to be off the charts to surpass the guys ahead of him on campus now. I know everyone falls head over heels for the backup QB and even more so with incoming freshman but this kind of talk creates unrealistic expectations and is unfair to the kids who have not played a down of college ball. The same talk and expectations were placed on both Allen brothers, Storey, Peavey, etc. the same talk will come about next year with KJ as well, bank on it.

Davidr295

• Varsity
« Reply #128 on: August 02, 2018, 10:30:37 pm »

You are delusional if you think JSJ takes the starting job as a true freshman. Whatever you are twisting up has clouded your judgement. I have a better chance of winning the lottery than that happening.  I am excited about JSJ, and impressed with his ability to win in a tough classification in Texas.  However, he was surrounded by good talent and attended a very wealthy school with every training benefit possible. He is not physically ready for the pounding of the SEC.  The kid is 5-10Ē and 180lbs. His height alone dictates the chances of him leading any team in this conference are low. His intangibles like field vision and awareness, as well as leadership will have to be off the charts to surpass the guys ahead of him on campus now. I know everyone falls head over heels for the backup QB and even more so with incoming freshman but this kind of talk creates unrealistic expectations and is unfair to the kids who have not played a down of college ball. The same talk and expectations were placed on both Allen brothers, Storey, Peavey, etc. the same talk will come about next year with KJ as well, bank on it.

Not sure how that comes into play at all? Your reaching on that point...

Mike Irwin

Dtechman

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #130 on: August 03, 2018, 06:25:45 am »

You are right on that point.  If anything it gives him an advantage in being more developed and polished as a QB.

twistitup

« Reply #131 on: August 03, 2018, 08:38:48 am »

He's reaching on most points....but you have to applaud his effort.

We have no clue who the QB will be. JSJ knows the O and will focus on putting on some weight and refining his game. He is a winner and has proven that - he also has 4 games to play and NOT burn his redshirt (thanks to new rules)

It will be interesting to watch this play out, but there have been many undersized qb's that have been successful. Most recently a lil feller named Mayfield one state over. He did pretty good for himself - all 5' 10" of him. Fville cops could contain him, but many teams could not.

opineonswine

• Global Moderator
  • Go Hogs!
« Reply #132 on: August 03, 2018, 08:43:00 am »

I voted for Connor Noland.  I realize it's an unconventional pick.  Just a hunch.  I like he's been in similar offense and seems to be a bright kid with a lot of ability.  Plus why go with the safe pick?  There's no price for being wrong.   :P

twistitup

« Reply #133 on: August 03, 2018, 09:13:29 am »

There's no price for being wrong.   :P

HogPharmer

« Reply #134 on: August 03, 2018, 09:53:35 am »

HogPharmer

« Reply #135 on: August 03, 2018, 10:00:21 am »

If those 180 pounders - - AND HYATT - - can prove to "take a licking and keep on ticking" (like the old Timex Watch commercial jingle) then more power to them. 

Again, - - I'm not against Hyatt being our starting QB; I'm merely concerned for his well-being health wise.

I don't think you give a QB a scholarship just to get him here and say "Sorry, you're too small to actually play in this league. We just felt like burning a schollie."

twistitup

« Reply #136 on: August 03, 2018, 10:04:23 am »

I don't think you give a QB a scholarship just to get him here and say "Sorry, you're too small to actually play in this league. We just felt like burning a schollie."

This

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #137 on: August 03, 2018, 10:27:49 am »

In essence they burn them on Qb's every year. They sign one or two in every class, even though it is unlikely more than 2 play MEANINGFUL snaps in a season and more than 3 at all. It is why we see so many Qb transfers in college football. Now, do they do it just to waste a scholarship? No, but they do end up looking kind of like that when you sign a qb and he never plays.

twistitup

« Reply #138 on: August 03, 2018, 10:31:49 am »

In essence they burn them on Qb's every year. They sign one or two in every class, even though it is unlikely more than 2 play MEANINGFUL snaps in a season and more than 3 at all. It is why we see so many Qb transfers in college football. Now, do they do it just to waste a scholarship? No, but they do end up looking kind of like that when you sign a qb and he never plays.

Law of averages.....not everyone you recruit will work out. Recruit 3-4 qbs, on avg 1 ends up being good in your 'system' - the others find a new 'system' or simply stick around for the schollie, backup role, and ladies.

opineonswine

• Global Moderator
  • Go Hogs!
« Reply #139 on: August 03, 2018, 10:47:34 am »

Reading Otis' article linked above, it sounds like the coaches are strongly considering him.

HogPharmer

« Reply #140 on: August 03, 2018, 10:55:53 am »

I understand that. But my reply was in response to a post that insinuated the kid is too small to play here period. If he was too small to play here, then we wouldn't offer him in the first place.

You don't recruit a kid and say "there's no chance you'll ever play a snap here."

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #141 on: August 03, 2018, 11:37:27 am »

Reading Otis' article linked above, it sounds like the coaches are strongly considering him.

My guess is JSJ and Noland will redshirt. There are already 4 QB's on the team and I don't believe any of them can be redshirted. I just don't see Morris having 6 active QBs all year.

twistitup

« Reply #142 on: August 03, 2018, 11:40:04 am »

My guess is JSJ and Noland will redshirt. There are already 4 QB's on the team and I don't believe any of them can be redshirted. I just don't see Morris having 6 active QBs all year.

Those 4 were inherited by CCM....no choice. The others were picked by CCM due to their skills and knowledge of the O

Big Difference

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #143 on: August 03, 2018, 11:47:34 am »

Those 4 were inherited by CCM....no choice. The others were picked by CCM due to their skills and knowledge of the O

Big Difference

I just don't see Morris having 6 active QBs on the roster.

twistitup

« Reply #144 on: August 03, 2018, 11:50:58 am »

I just don't see Morris having 6 active QBs on the roster.

I can't 'see' anything - It's CCM's first year, we simply don't know what he is thinking. I know he runs an offense that requires a specific skill set from his qb. Maybe that guy was already on the roster when he got here, maybe not

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs and Go Mike Anderson!
« Reply #145 on: August 03, 2018, 11:59:02 am »

I can't 'see' anything - It's CCM's first year, we simply don't know what he is thinking. I know he runs an offense that requires a specific skill set from his qb. Maybe that guy was already on the roster when he got here, maybe not
Slow down, you're fast approaching your limit.  Throw a few back.

Deep Shoat

• The Artist formerly known as Hong Kong Sooey
« Reply #146 on: August 03, 2018, 12:06:30 pm »

Threads like this are SOOOOO much better because of the people I have on ignore.  When stupid is arguing with stupid, it's better to not see it.

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #147 on: August 03, 2018, 12:26:38 pm »

I understand that. But my reply was in response to a post that insinuated the kid is too small to play here period. If he was too small to play here, then we wouldn't offer him in the first place.

You don't recruit a kid and say "there's no chance you'll ever play a snap here."

Is he a BB or CM signee?

Dtechman

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #148 on: August 03, 2018, 01:47:01 pm »

He's reaching on most points....but you have to applaud his effort.

We have no clue who the QB will be. JSJ knows the O and will focus on putting on some weight and refining his game. He is a winner and has proven that - he also has 4 games to play and NOT burn his redshirt (thanks to new rules)

It will be interesting to watch this play out, but there have been many undersized qb's that have been successful. Most recently a lil feller named Mayfield one state over. He did pretty good for himself - all 5' 10" of him. Fville cops could contain him, but many teams could not.

I am not reaching at all. You list mayfield as your example and you know as well as I do he was a statistical anomaly. He is the exception, not the rule. I love JSJ , but if he isnít who he is, odds are there would be no offer. I hope he wins a ship for us and I believe he is a winner who was under rated. I just donít think expectations placed on him to start are fair to the young man.

HogPharmer

« Reply #149 on: August 03, 2018, 01:51:27 pm »

Is he a BB or CM signee?

Thatís irrelevant. Iím not saying he WILL play and I think thatís what youíre trying to argue. Iím stating as a general principle, in complete agreement with your point that more QBs are recruited and given scholarships than will actually play, that kids are not recruited and given scholarships with the understanding of the coach(es) KNOWING that kid will never play a snap.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 8   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas