• 9,923,250 Posts
• 399,168 Topics
• 22,881 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday

Poll

Who do you think will start the MOST games at QB this year?

Kelley
Storey
Noland

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: QB Battle  (Read 17228 times)

WooPig92

QB Battle
« on: July 30, 2018, 08:14:11 am »

My gut is that Storey will start week 1 because as we heard in the spring, he had a better understanding of the offense. I think Kelley will come in a couple of weeks later if Storey struggles because I think he's the better talent, he's just got to get quicker with his reads. If he can't get it under control, I think we may see Noland around the middle of the season. I'd love for one of our veterans to get a hold of the job so we can RS Noland (and save his arm for baseball season)

nwahogfan1

Re: QB Battle
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2018, 08:32:33 am »

I voted for Noland but I do not think he wins the job until the 4 or 5 game.   Noland ran a very similar offense at Greenwood, he is a winner and he is a leader.   

If the older QBs were held back in the spring game by vanilla play calling then I apologize to them but I did not see much from Kelley and Storey in that game.

I do not care who our signal caller is but I want a winner who can lead and win most of those 50/50 games.  Many of these games will take a last winning drive in the 4th qtr.  Who can lead and show confidence in his demeanor and have a swagger which gives his teammates confidence.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

rhames

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2018, 08:34:37 am »

Irwin said it will be Kelley unless something crazy happens.

WooPig92

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2018, 08:46:59 am »

If the older QBs were held back in the spring game by vanilla play calling then I apologize to them but I did not see much from Kelley and Storey in that game.

I don't put too much stock in the spring game. They only had around 15 practices and the coaches admitted they were force feeding them a ton of stuff. Likened I to drinking water from a fire hose. I'm hoping they've done tjeir homework over the summer and have a much better understanding of the offense when practice starts later this week. I only mentioned it in my initial post because it did seem that Storey was absorbing it faster than Kelley. But you're right, Noland has run a similar offense in high school, he may come in and shock everyone and win the job outright.

AirWarren

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Uncommonly, Unfinished Business.
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2018, 08:48:39 am »

My gut is that Storey will start week 1 because as we heard in the spring, he had a better understanding of the offense. I think Kelley will come in a couple of weeks later if Storey struggles because I think he's the better talent, he's just got to get quicker with his reads. If he can't get it under control, I think we may see Noland around the middle of the season. I'd love for one of our veterans to get a hold of the job so we can RS Noland (and save his arm for baseball season)

If we have that much instability at QB, we will struggle to win 4 games.

3Scoreand10

• Varsity
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2018, 09:36:48 am »

Understand the offence means very little if the execution is not there.
That is not to say you are wrong, but sometimes you just need someone who finds a way to get it done.
I believe that will be the one who becomes the QB this year.

010HogFan

• I Got Dat Wood Coach
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2018, 09:38:45 am »

I just can't imagine a scenario where Storey is ever our starting QB.

3Scoreand10

• Varsity
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2018, 09:41:54 am »

I remember Mat Jones. They keep trying to replace him but could not.
He just got it done.
Now I do not believe any of these kids are another Mat Jones, but just maybe someone will surprise us.

TexHog188

• Touchdown Arkansas!
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2018, 09:43:29 am »

I think Storey and Kelly both play in the first two games, and maybe Nolan gets a series or two if we take care of business. I think Kelly has the edge to win the job based on experience but thatís only because Iíve not seen enough of Storey to know if he can get comfortable on the field. To me he has looked a bit rushed out there and his passes not consistently tight and crisp. Ultimately one of these three will show he can execute the offense effectively and will become the starter. I think it will be Kelly, but Iím fine with whoever wins the job. Just win baby.

3Scoreand10

• Varsity
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2018, 09:46:21 am »

If we have that much instability at QB, we will struggle to win 4 games.

I believe the decision will be made within 2 weeks of camp and only an injury or regression on the starters part will bring a change.

The_Iceman

• Gold Hogvillian
  • The Plaque for Alternates is in the Ladies room.
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2018, 10:16:05 am »

I can't either.

Bacons Rebellion

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2018, 10:20:33 am »

You need a better imagination.

Were you around in 2000?  Hampton goes down, Zac Clark goes down, McBridge goes down and we re-recruit Rutledge from the intramural field. Kelley injured from now until the opener and Storey is the starter against Eastern Illinois.

DOGALUM

• Best creme brulee ever
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2018, 10:21:22 am »

Cole.   Without question. 

hogcards

• The Glimmer Twins
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2018, 10:21:42 am »

I tend to agree.  However, I don't think he'll be on the team (at all) by season's end.

RyanMallettsEgo

• Take it easy, I'm pre-law.
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2018, 10:22:17 am »

I tend to agree.  However, I don't think he'll be on the team (at all) by season's end.

How much actual money would you like to wager on that statement?

hogcards

• The Glimmer Twins
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2018, 10:23:01 am »

How much actual money would you like to wager on that statement?

Thousands!!!!

;)

idochog

« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2018, 10:26:43 am »

Agreed, my opinion is he is being given the chance to start as to not wanting him to transfer.  If you point blank name Kelly starter, storey might transfer

hogcards

• The Glimmer Twins
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2018, 10:27:29 am »

Agreed, my opinion is he is being given the chance to start as to not wanting him to transfer.  If you point blank name Kelly starter, storey might transfer

There's something similar going on at Bama right now.

Hogbit

« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2018, 10:36:07 am »

I believe JSJ will be the man when its said and done. He is a winner and will continue to be.

nwahogfan1

« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2018, 10:36:10 am »

I think Mike is right.  At least for the first games.  Lets see if one of the underclassmen can take the job away from Kelley.

I love competition.

RagingHawgOn

« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2018, 11:15:11 am »

No way you put the offense in the hands of a guy who hasn't been through a few tough SEC battles.

Might be wrong, but should be Kelley's job to lose.

Stillwater

• Band Nerd
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2018, 11:26:08 am »

Noland by game three!

« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2018, 11:36:34 am »

I worry that Kelly might actually lose the job for lack of learning anything important from last years staff and, in fact, learning stuff that hurts his chances this year.  I worry that Storey has set around learning nothing and doing nothing in the past until his High School skills have eroded and that might hold him back.  I have no clue about Noland but it sounds like he is a competitor deluxe.  He may bring his high school skill set to town and refuse to be denied.  A freshman with the right attitude and skill set could likely earn his way into the starting position.  I believe Kelly will work hard, try his best and still not have the skill set to run this offense correctly and to its fullest.  And then there is Daulton Hyatt or however he spells it.  He may think the starting job goes through him and will refuse to be denied too.  Bottom line is I don't have a clue who gets the job and will likely be surprised by who does get it.

Dark Helmet Hog

• Now let's see how well you handle it...
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2018, 11:58:53 am »

If a young guy were to step up and win it, I think it will say more about how good that guy is than about anyone else.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2018, 12:33:18 pm »

No way you put the offense in the hands of a guy who hasn't been through a few tough SEC battles.

According to Mike Irwin, it is indeed Kelley's job to lose. He said the coaches are calling the Starting QB position wide open just to motivate Kelley. He'll be the starter unless he really stinks it up in pre-season practices.

SPAL

• Administrator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • I like Big Mike and I cannot lie
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2018, 03:25:20 pm »

It will be Cole kelley unless Noland just comes in and takes it. It will take him looking like Tom Brady to do it though..

If you're a betting man....put it on CK

twistitup

« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2018, 03:26:53 pm »

JSJ

FP

razorbackfaninar

• Senior
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2018, 03:32:39 pm »

I think Mike is right.  At least for the first games.  Lets see if one of the underclassmen can take the job away from Kelley.

I love competition.

If Kelly is the starter for the first games then how is a freshman going to come in and steal his job, when would he get the opportunity?

razorbackfaninar

• Senior
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2018, 03:36:17 pm »

You don't think Kelly will be on the team at all by seasons end? What do you think is going to happen to him?

HogPharmer

« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2018, 03:41:12 pm »

They just had Clint Stoerner on the radio in LR and he made some good points on the subject. CK definitely has the tools and the ability to definitively own the starter job but, in the end, it's up to him on whether he gets the job or not. The other (smaller guys) have obstacles to overcome that CK doesn't. But if Cole can't hit his passes with precision accuracy--especially the passes within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage or even behind the line of scrimmage, to where a receiver can catch the ball in stride and then run, then someone else is going to get an opportunity to earn that spot. You don't want to get 0 or negative YAC. So Cole needs to have really been working on his footwork and accuracy this offseason. He definitely has the cannon to throw the ball deep, but those short passes are just as, if not more, important than shots downfield. Shots downfield are big time game changers, but they're low percentage passes when compared to the quick routes.

010HogFan

• I Got Dat Wood Coach
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2018, 03:43:02 pm »

You need a better imagination.

Were you around in 2000?  Hampton goes down, Zac Clark goes down, McBridge goes down and we re-recruit Rutledge from the intramural field. Kelley injured from now until the opener and Storey is the starter against Eastern Illinois.

I should have added *first choice* at starting QB

hawganatic

• Senior
« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2018, 03:50:29 pm »

So this time last year CK was "the franchise" and future of the program.  Now some of you don't think he can take two steps without falling on his face?

Finicky fan base...

HogPharmer

« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2018, 03:53:48 pm »

So this time last year CK was "the franchise" and future of the program.  Now some of you don't think he can take two steps without falling on his face?

Finicky fan base...

Here's a post from a thread I commented on last week.... Once again, people will always think that our best option at QB, no matter who it is, is the guy sitting on the bench.

If we are not winning, our best QB will always be the guy sitting on the bench.

Same as it was with AA when BA was QB, and same as it was last year with CK when AA was QB.

Same as it is now when CK hasn't even had hardly any relevant playing time/experience.

People think we should throw in a kid fresh out of high school and expect him to light it up against Bama after having been on campus a few weeks like that's the answer to all our problems. Could it happen? Sure. It's highly unlikely though. The reality is that we are likely going to have some growing pains no matter who the QB is. I don't care who it ends up being as long as that player is the best option at that position.

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2018, 03:59:32 pm »

A part of the conversation seemingly ignored is durability.  In an offense where the qb will be asked to run, being able to take hits will be a necessity.  Cole is a big target for defenders but should also be able to take hits better.  It is a reason I would be hesitant to suggest JPJ will see the field this season.  Running around and taking hits in Texas HS football is not the SEC.  In our first 3 SEC games we play AU's defensive front which may be the best in college football and Bama. 

hobhog

« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2018, 10:42:09 pm »

A part of the conversation seemingly ignored is durability.  In an offense where the qb will be asked to run, being able to take hits will be a necessity.  Cole is a big target for defenders but should also be able to take hits better.  It is a reason I would be hesitant to suggest JPJ will see the field this season.  Running around and taking hits in Texas HS football is not the SEC.  In our first 3 SEC games we play AU's defensive front which may be the best in college football and Bama.

Our best running QB is Daulton Hyatt. CCM mentioned today he is "very athletic". I'm keeping an eye on him.

RebelW

• Senior
« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2018, 11:21:55 pm »

Our best running QB is Daulton Hyatt. CCM mentioned today he is "very athletic". I'm keeping an eye on him.
Also said Coach Craddock was spending a lot of individual time with him

Hawgphat

« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2018, 11:56:02 pm »

I have no "imaginative foresight" as to which QB will start against Eastern Illinois.  I have no way of determining whether or not the starter for that first game should necessarily be crowned "The Starting QB".  I presume that we MAY see several QBs in action during the first two games, - - with absolutely nothing to base that intuitive presumption on.

I further presume that CM will play the QB who affords us the best chance of winning in tight situations; - - I simply don't know the identity of that particular QB yet.

At some point, CM will make the starting QB determination according to HIS OWN criteria; not according to ours.  I simply trust - and believe - that whoever turns out to be the starting QB will have EARNED that designation, - - and that such a designation won't be determined by a popularity contest here on HV or anyplace else.

TazorTusk

« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2018, 02:40:39 am »

Hope CK comes out of the gates looking like he has been in this offense since grammar school.  But there is a part of me that would love to see a dark horse emerge and excel -- Daulton Hyatt.

Lots of time to dream about the true freshmen and what follows in the next few years.  It's going to get exciting after we take our lumps with some growing pains for a season or two.

Sure hope the majority of our fans are patient with the process.   ;)

Tazor

PS What a great past two weeks it has been!!!  Recruiting success should give us some confidence for the long haul.

JayHog

• Varsity
« Reply #38 on: July 31, 2018, 03:05:04 am »

But hereís the deal being overlooked above Cole Kelly... the guy just isnít accurate. And unless his accuracy improves dramatically, I donít see him making it here at Arkansas.  When he would drop back to pass, this throws would be so far off target that I would literally wince... cringe, almost.
Sure, just like everyone else, I loved seeing him come into those games on 3rd down to run for a first down and keep the chains moving. But that only worked for a few games. After that, defenses adjusted and those QB run plays werenít working anymore the last couple of games.
So what does that leave you with? A QB that can pass accurately and canít run effectively. Not exactly a winning formula.

nwahogfan1

« Reply #39 on: July 31, 2018, 07:14:20 am »

Definitely Kelley's job to lose but since he played in so many games last year where the other guys did not he should have separated himself from the pack.

What made me worried in the Spring is I did  not see that. 

Also I was hoping Kelley would come into Fall camp 10-15 lbs lighter so he can move better putting pressure on the defenses to keep him in the pocket.   I love for our QB to be able to get us 3-5 positive yards instead of getting tackled for loses or to extend the pocket giving him a few more seconds to look down field.   

I am worried about his mobility.

nwahogfan1

« Reply #40 on: July 31, 2018, 07:21:56 am »

Also said Coach Craddock was spending a lot of individual time with him

Lets be real.  Craddock should be spending a lot of time with all the QBs.  At least I hope so.  Give me a even and level playing field and let the best QB emerge out of the Pack.  I loved the skill set from Hyatt but lets hope he put on 15 lbs in the summer. I did not hear Tru say anything about him.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #41 on: July 31, 2018, 07:27:15 am »

But here’s the deal being overlooked above Cole Kelly... the guy just isn’t accurate. And unless his accuracy improves dramatically, I don’t see him making it here at Arkansas.  When he would drop back to pass, this throws would be so far off target that I would literally wince... cringe, almost.
Sure, just like everyone else, I loved seeing him come into those games on 3rd down to run for a first down and keep the chains moving. But that only worked for a few games. After that, defenses adjusted and those QB run plays weren’t working anymore the last couple of games.
So what does that leave you with? A QB that can pass accurately and can’t run effectively. Not exactly a winning formula.

In the Spring game Kelley was easily the best passer of all of the QBs.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #42 on: July 31, 2018, 07:29:44 am »

He stated in another interview that Hyatt is not ready to be the starting QB this year but could be a big part of the future of Razorback football.

Dugann

• Hammer Down
« Reply #43 on: July 31, 2018, 07:57:00 am »

Who ever can pick up the system and run it like it needs to be ran.  That is what is going to win us games which is the bottom line here IMO.

Hoggiedawg

« Reply #44 on: July 31, 2018, 08:25:17 am »

I'm hoping we see two QBs play in the first two games with a possible third getting some mop up duty. Snaps in real games are important and we need to have a backup that can fill in if needed later in the season.

010HogFan

• I Got Dat Wood Coach
« Reply #45 on: July 31, 2018, 08:36:58 am »

In the Spring game Kelley was easily the best passer of all of the QBs.

Yep

Grizzlyfan

« Reply #46 on: July 31, 2018, 09:40:26 am »

If Kelly is the starter for the first games then how is a freshman going to come in and steal his job, when would he get the opportunity?
If Kelly craps the bed?

Deep Shoat

• The Artist formerly known as Hong Kong Sooey
« Reply #47 on: July 31, 2018, 09:44:11 am »

Whoever the starter is, he will only be there because his name is Allen...

WooPig92

« Reply #48 on: July 31, 2018, 02:09:13 pm »

I can't remember where I saw these stats, but Morris' offenses have not been built around a running QB, except for when he has a QB that can do it effectively.  We can argue whether or not CK can be an effective runner, but I don't think we can assume that our QBs will be actually be asked to run all that much.  Durability may be a concern solely because of our inefficiency at OL. Whoever is back there is going to take hits if they don't get the ball out quickly

nwahogfan1

« Reply #49 on: July 31, 2018, 02:20:59 pm »

I can't remember where I saw these stats, but Morris' offenses have not been built around a running QB, except for when he has a QB that can do it effectively.  We can argue whether or not CK can be an effective runner, but I don't think we can assume that our QBs will be actually be asked to run all that much.  Durability may be a concern solely because of our inefficiency at OL. Whoever is back there is going to take hits if they don't get the ball out quickly

But I say for us to be the most effective offense we need all the bullets we can get and a running QB is one more bullet.  We just do not have an offensive fire power to win those 50/50 games with out a running QB.  A really effective dual threat QB could be the difference between 5 or 8 wins.  Even if the QB can only averages over 3 yards a carry.    Just keep us our of negative plays and move the chains.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 8   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas