• 396,405 Topics
• 22,588 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Freshman stats  (Read 2350 times)

RealHog

• Varsity
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Freshman stats
« on: July 26, 2018, 09:47:14 am »

I was looking at the roster, and I was wondering what stats you think the Freshman will put up? I think Jones and Joe will put up around 10ppg, and Chaney puts up around 8p/5r/2a statline.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 09:57:37 am by RealHog »

BannerMountainMan

Re: Freshman stats
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2018, 11:39:46 am »

I was looking at the roster, and I was wondering what stats you think the Freshman will put up? I think Jones and Joe will put up around 10ppg, and Chaney puts up around 8p/5r/2a statline.
well Jones is a sophomore soo, but yes If we can get 8-10 out of each one well be just fine

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

CPO Hog

• Senior
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2018, 12:20:03 pm »

Say we average ~80 PPG.
Gafford, Harris, Bailey, Gabe, Holmes & maybe Garland = Is 40 ppg a stretch for this group?
Freshmen = 40 ppg? PT will be there for them. A couple or 3 will have to step it up big time.

The_Iceman

• Gold Hogvillian
  • The Plaque for Alternates is in the Ladies room.
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2018, 01:20:32 pm »

UPDATED:
15 - Gafford
10 - Chaney
10 - Joe
10 - Embery
8 - Harris
8 - Jones
5 - Osabuohien
4 - Bailey
4 - Henderson
3 - Sills
2 - Phillips
1 - Ali
0 - Garland
0 - Holmes
= 80 Points per Game

Rough guess.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 02:47:41 pm by The_Iceman »

The_Iceman

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2018, 01:24:51 pm »

Main Lineups:

PG: Harris /  Sills
SG: Joe / Embery
SF: Jones / Phillips
PF: Chaney / Osabuohien OR Bailey
C: Gafford / Henderson / Ali

Garland - not listing him until cleared (I'll believe it when I see it).

I still dont think Bailey or Gabe have the skills to play the 3 spot, but could see limited time there in certain lineups.

I would expect Harris, Joe, Embery, and Jones to get the major minutes at the 3 main guard spots. Sills and Phillips will get limited minutes behind. Garland would be in the main lineup if cleared, bumping Phillips to 3rd string.

The front line with Gafford and Chaney will be the best we have had in a long time. The guys behind them will also be athletic and talented as well. Will be a fun roster to watch.

BannerMountainMan

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2018, 01:32:48 pm »

Main Lineups:

PG: Harris /  Sills
SG: Joe / Embery
SF: Jones / Phillips
PF: Chaney / Osabuohien OR Bailey
C: Gafford / Henderson / Ali

Garland - not listing him until cleared (I'll believe it when I see it).

I still dont think Bailey or Gabe have the skills to play the 3 spot, but could see limited time there in certain lineups.

I would expect Harris, Joe, Embery, and Jones to get the major minutes at the 3 main guard spots. Sills and Phillips will get limited minutes behind. Garland would be in the main lineup if cleared, bumping Phillips to 3rd string.

The front line with Gafford and Chaney will be the best we have had in a long time. The guys behind them will also be athletic and talented as well. Will be a fun roster to watch.
love it man, maybe Bailey will take that big step his junior year but it just sucks hes 66

The_Iceman

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2018, 01:35:19 pm »

love it man, maybe Bailey will take that big step his junior year but it just sucks hes 66

Gabe is a better leaper, taller, longer, and a better shooter. It's a hard matchup for Bailey to win.

Pinto

• Senior
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2018, 02:07:51 pm »

80 ppg:
15 - Gafford
10 - Chaney
8 - Joe
8 - Harris
7 - Jones
7 - Harris
7 - Embery
5 - Osabuohien
4 - Bailey
3 - Henderson
3 - Sills
2 - Phillips
1 - Ali
0 - Garland
0 - Holmes

Rough guess.

I think Keyshawn will get us 10-12 ppg once he recovers fully.

Big Nasty 34

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2018, 02:22:41 pm »

80 ppg:
15 - Gafford
10 - Chaney
8 - Joe
8 - Harris
7 - Jones
7 - Harris
7 - Embery
5 - Osabuohien
4 - Bailey
3 - Henderson
3 - Sills
2 - Phillips
1 - Ali
0 - Garland
0 - Holmes

Rough guess.

Youve got Harris twice.

The_Iceman

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2018, 02:43:26 pm »

Youve got Harris twice.

You are right. That's why I was struggling to get the numbers to add up. I've revised.

I think Harris will average something like:

8 ppg, 3 rpg, 6 apg, 1.5 stls.

The_Iceman

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2018, 02:44:41 pm »

I think Keyshawn will get us 10-12 ppg once he recovers fully.

You are right. Now that I dont have Harris twice, I've distributed those point and have Embery at 10. With the minutes he will get, especially if Garland isn't cleared, he will get to 10 a game.

razorback1829

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2018, 03:38:34 pm »

Gabe is a better leaper, taller, longer, and a better shooter. It's a hard matchup for Bailey to win.

This, and he does have the ability to play on the wing some. More skilled than Bailey in ball handling.

The_Iceman

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2018, 03:50:51 pm »

This, and he does have the ability to play on the wing some. More skilled than Bailey in ball handling.

End of game and you need a defensive stop, imagine going with a 2-3 zone with Harris and Joe up top, and Gabe, Gafford, and Henderson across the bottom.

niels_boar

• Senior
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2018, 05:09:02 pm »

Bailey was the best offensive rebounder and shot-blocker on the team last year not named Gafford.  He can block shots, board, and defend on the perimeter.  Importantly for CMA he doesn't turn the ball over either.  He will play more than you are projecting.

I'll be stunned if Chaney is our second-leading scorer.  That's going to be a guard.  If it's Chaney, we are either very good or very bad.  My expectation is that Gafford will lead us in scoring and two of Jones, Joe, Harris, Embery, and Garland will take the second and third most shots. A guard leading us in scoring would be less surprising than Chaney being second to me.  Guards just have to take the lion's share of shots these days.

MakingPlays

• Varsity
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2018, 06:11:46 pm »

Bailey was the best offensive rebounder and shot-blocker on the team last year not named Gafford.  He can block shots, board, and defend on the perimeter.  Importantly for CMA he doesn't turn the ball over either.  He will play more than you are projecting.

I'll be stunned if Chaney is our second-leading scorer.  That's going to be a guard.  If it's Chaney, we are either very good or very bad.  My expectation is that Gafford will lead us in scoring and two of Jones, Joe, Harris, Embery, and Garland will take the second and third most shots. A guard leading us in scoring would be less surprising than Chaney being second to me.  Guards just have to take the lion's share of shots these days.

I agree with all of this.  I think Chaney is going to get most of his minutes at the 5 spot, with some spot minutes at the 4 spot.  Don't see either Bailey or Gabe not playing a significant amount of time.  Gabe is like the forward version of Manny Watkins, CMA loves those type of guys they will always play.  And Bailey is the oldest on the team and will be looked upon to be the leader, he also was a starter to end the season last year.  I think Henderson and Ali are going to be the guys that are out of the rotation and really only play spot minutes.

ShadowHawg

• All-American Hogvillian
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2018, 03:37:19 am »

So you have Chaney at the 5? Wheres Gafford?

The_Iceman

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2018, 08:23:07 am »

Chaney wont be a 5. Henderson will be the backup 5. Chaney has Powell/Clarke like skills. He is a better athlete than both those guys too.

niels_boar

• Senior
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2018, 12:09:40 pm »

Chaney wont be a 5. Henderson will be the backup 5. Chaney has Powell/Clarke like skills. He is a better athlete than both those guys too.

As good as Clarke was as a senior, he was only fourth on the team in shots.  Qualls and Madden rose up as the second and third options after frosh Portis.  In fact, they took almost as many FGAs as Portis, which didn't seem likely based on the previous season.  I hope you're right, but expecting Chaney to be an efficient double-figure scorer as a frosh is probably optimistic.  if he is, we'll be in the NCAAT, but you are effectively projecting him to be better than Clarke from day one.

The_Iceman

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2018, 12:34:17 pm »

As good as Clarke was as a senior, he was only fourth on the team in shots.  Qualls and Madden rose up as the second and third options after frosh Portis.  In fact, they took almost as many FGAs as Portis, which didn't seem likely based on the previous season.  I hope you're right, but expecting Chaney to be an efficient double-figure scorer as a frosh is probably optimistic.  if he is, we'll be in the NCAAT, but you are effectively projecting him to be better than Clarke from day one.

I have watched a lot of Chaney video. He is the prototype 4 we have been looking for. Teaming him with Gafford will allow him to get a lot of garbage points. He also has the best post man footwork since Alonzo Lane. With a guard like Harris who will look to drive and kick, Chaney will be on the beneficiary of a lot of those looks since Gafford will be the attention.

Efficiency is going to be the key to Chaney getting 10 ppg. He wont need a lot of shots.

MakingPlays

• Varsity
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2018, 02:25:34 am »

I think it'll play out like this...

Harris / Embery
Joe / Sills
Phillips / Jones
Bailey / Osabouhein
Gafford / Chaney / Henderson / Ali

I think Chaney will play a Trey Thompson like role, which is primarily Gafford's back-up and playing some at the 4 spot when they go big.  I think he'll probably play around 16-18 MPG his first year. 

MakingPlays

• Varsity
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2018, 02:41:50 am »

Chaney is nothing at all like Clarke and he has no where near the range or ball handling skills that Powell had (at least not yet).  Powell was actually deceptively quick on offense and could get around people and could create his own shots.  Right now Chaney is a post player, I still have some of his games on my DVR, I don't think he took a shot outside of 15 feet, he gets most of his points in the post and from put backs/transition situations.  I agree he will play some 4, but CMA puts those post players like that at the 5 position, and usually reserves the 4 spot for guys that are typically SF's that are quick and can switch and guard smaller players and be the head of the press.... See Harris, Clarke, Williams, Gabe, Bailey, and Thomas.  All of these guys were listed as SF's coming out of high school and played almost exclusively at the 4 spot in CMA's system. 

Pinto

• Senior
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2018, 07:32:25 am »

Chaney is nothing at all like Clarke and he has no where near the range or ball handling skills that Powell had (at least not yet).  Powell was actually deceptively quick on offense and could get around people and could create his own shots.  Right now Chaney is a post player, I still have some of his games on my DVR, I don't think he took a shot outside of 15 feet, he gets most of his points in the post and from put backs/transition situations.  I agree he will play some 4, but CMA puts those post players like that at the 5 position, and usually reserves the 4 spot for guys that are typically SF's that are quick and can switch and guard smaller players and be the head of the press.... See Harris, Clarke, Williams, Gabe, Bailey, and Thomas.  All of these guys were listed as SF's coming out of high school and played almost exclusively at the 4 spot in CMA's system.

I disagree. Reggie can handle the ball pretty well and is very versatile. Hes more of a playmaker than a post player. Reggie can definitely switch on ball screens to guard the perimeter; he did this very well at Findlay.

razorback1829

« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2018, 09:32:23 am »

Chaney is the best playmaking 4 weve had in a long time, and will probably turn out to be better than Clarke and Powell. Just an absolute beast. His perfect place will be right beside Gafford, not just backing him up. He switches well on guards, and he has shown the ability to knock down the open midrange jumper. Think were looking at a starter sooner or later at the 4 this season.

BannerMountainMan

« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2018, 09:33:22 am »

I disagree. Reggie can handle the ball pretty well and is very versatile. Hes more of a playmaker than a post player. Reggie can definitely switch on ball screens to guard the perimeter; he did this very well at Findlay.
im gonna go with the guy that lives close to Fay and has the real info besides just a few tapes of his games

MakingPlays

• Varsity
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2018, 09:59:29 am »

im gonna go with the guy that lives close to Fay and has the real info besides just a few tapes of his games

I actually live about a mile away from the university and talked to someone that I guess you could call an insider, he's seen some pick-up games and posted about them on another board.  Although, I don't know how that somehow gives someone more credibility in lineup predictions, only people that know that is the coaching staff, unless someone has talked to them personally nothing any of us say is "real info" just speculation. 

What I posted is just my opinion based on what CMA has done in the past.  I always find it kinda comical that people come on here every year and think with a new player CMA is going to change the way he does things.  I like CMA, but the way he does his lineups isn't hard to figure out, he's a creature of habit.  I remember when everyone was saying CMA was going to play 2 bigs with Portis and Kingsley, heard it for 2 off-seasons in a row, never happened, outside of a few minutes here and there.  People were saying Hunter Mickelson was a stretch 4 that could play the 3 as well, yet CMA put him at the 5.

If you listen to his press conferences he tells you what he likes to do, he calls what we call the 4 position the "skilled forward" position.  He likes guys that can be the head of the press there, Draymond Green type of guys, that can switch on everything and keep up with guards.  Maybe Chaney can turn into that, but I think as of right now both Bailey and Gabe specialize in that, and they are older guys, and we all know CMA plays his more experienced guys more even if they aren't as skilled.... See Anton Beard.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 10:21:06 am by MakingPlays »

MakingPlays

• Varsity
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2018, 10:16:09 am »

I didn't say he was a bad ball handler, he's actually come a long way in that regard, I've seen him dribble the ball up the court and even do some euro steps on guys in the lane, he can handle the ball.  My comparison was in reference to Clarke and Powell, who the person I quoted compared him to, I think both of their ball handling is better than Chaney's is right now.  Both Clarke and Powell could take their man off the dribble, even if guards were on them, both of them had good enough ball handling to play SF at the pro level.  I don't think Chaney has the ball handling right now where he could sign a pro contract and teams would feel comfortable with him at the SF position. 

The_Iceman

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2018, 11:28:24 am »

If Adrio Bailey, Dustin Thomas, and Gabe Osabuohien played the PF spot for Mike, there is no reason Chaney wont as well. Especially with Gafford, Henderson, and Ali on the roster as 5's.

Bailey: 6'6" 222lb
Gabe: 6'8" 221lb
Chaney: 6'8" 222lb

Chaney is just as good or better with the ball in his hands and at shooting than the other two guys. Chaney is a 4.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 11:38:55 am by The_Iceman »

mhuff

« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2018, 11:41:10 am »

Chaney is the best playmaking 4 weve had in a long time, and will probably turn out to be better than Clarke and Powell. Just an absolute beast. His perfect place will be right beside Gafford, not just backing him up. He switches well on guards, and he has shown the ability to knock down the open midrange jumper. Think were looking at a starter sooner or later at the 4 this season.

Agree with what you've said, but Clarke shot about 40 percent from three point land. Clarke was a fabulous all around contributor. I am not sure he got the credit he deserved.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 02:39:43 pm by mhuff »

MakingPlays

• Varsity
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2018, 12:19:41 pm »

If Adrio Bailey, Dustin Thomas, and Gabe Osabuohien played the PF spot for Mike, there is no reason Chaney wont as well. Especially with Gafford, Henderson, and Ali on the roster as 5's.

Bailey: 6'6" 222lb
Gabe: 6'8" 221lb
Chaney: 6'8" 222lb

Chaney is just as good or better with the ball in his hands and at shooting than the other two guys. Chaney is a 4.

I'm just giving you guys my opinion, based on history.   Take it for what it's worth.  We'll see when season starts.  But I've heard all this before on Hogville, you guys pick one of the freshmen to fall in love with and have him playing whatever position you guys want him at rather than looking at what CMA actually does. 

Wasn't too long ago there was a similar pre-season thread and you guys had Jimmy Whitt as our starting PG and leading scorer and everyone raved about how he was the perfect fit for this system and would be our PG of the future and we'd be lucky to have him 3 years, I remember reading all of that in the thread... Not only did he not play PG, his handles were suspect, didn't handle getting pressured well at all, and he couldn't shoot a lick and he wasn't a good at distributing the ball either.  But, he was our PG of the future, because he looked good playing PG on highlight tapes.

Every single player 6'8 and above that primarily plays in the post that has come to Arkansas has played the 5 for CMA, that's all I'm saying.  And TBH, outside of Kingsley and Gafford CMA really doesn't recruit or have traditional centers, most of the guys that play the 5 for us are traditional PF and would play the 4 in most systems.  You named, Bailey, Thomas, and Gabe as examples, all of those guys were listed as SF's coming out of high school they weren't known for playing in the post.  Gabe actually lists himself as a guard. 

The_Iceman

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2018, 12:34:30 pm »

I'm just giving you guys my opinion, based on history.   Take it for what it's worth.  We'll see when season starts.  But I've heard all this before on Hogville, you guys pick one of the freshmen to fall in love with and have him playing whatever position you guys want him at rather than looking at what CMA actually does. 

Wasn't too long ago there was a similar pre-season thread and you guys had Jimmy Whitt as our starting PG and leading scorer and everyone raved about how he was the perfect fit for this system and would be our PG of the future and we'd be lucky to have him 3 years, I remember reading all of that in the thread... Not only did he not play PG, his handles were suspect, didn't handle getting pressured well at all, and he couldn't shoot a lick and he wasn't a good at distributing the ball either.  But, he was our PG of the future, because he looked good playing PG on highlight tapes.

Every single player 6'8 and above that primarily plays in the post that has come to Arkansas has played the 5 for CMA, that's all I'm saying.  And TBH, outside of Kingsley and Gafford CMA really doesn't recruit or have traditional centers, most of the guys that play the 5 for us are traditional PF and would play the 4 in most systems.  You named, Bailey, Thomas, and Gabe as examples, all of those guys were listed as SF's coming out of high school they weren't known for playing in the post.  Gabe actually lists himself as a guard. 

I understand what you are saying. I'm the person that laughs at people who tried to put Bailey as a SF. Arlando Cook played the 4. Thomas played the 4. Chaney can play the 4.

MakingPlays

• Varsity
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2018, 02:01:54 pm »

I understand what you are saying. I'm the person that laughs at people who tried to put Bailey as a SF. Arlando Cook played the 4. Thomas played the 4. Chaney can play the 4.

Think you're misunderstanding what I'm saying.  He absolutely can play the 4, his natural position is the 4.  If there was ever a picture of the prototypical PF Chaney would fit that picture.  What I'm saying is based on CMA's history with traditional PFs, they primarily get their minutes at the 5 spot and he occasionally uses them at the 4 when he goes big. 

Just look at our very own Bobby Portis. Portis is a PF or stretch 4 in the NBA and played 99% of his minutes at the 5 spot in CMA's system.  People were yelling daily for CMA to play Portis and Kingsley together and he rarely did it, the reason for this is he likes spacing on offense and doesn't want to clog the lane with 2 bigs and he likes the ability to switch on almost everything on defense.

Best way to describe it is by saying CMA likes to play the Golden State type of lineups where he essentially has a SF playing the PF position and they only run either a PF or C in the but not both.  And looking at Golden State for an example, they have David West, who played his whole career at PF, but when he plays for Golden State the vast majority of the time they have him at their 5 spot.

Hope that makes more sense on what I'm trying to say.

k.c.hawg

« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2018, 02:37:14 pm »

Think you're misunderstanding what I'm saying.  He absolutely can play the 4, his natural position is the 4.  If there was ever a picture of the prototypical PF Chaney would fit that picture.  What I'm saying is based on CMA's history with traditional PFs, they primarily get their minutes at the 5 spot and he occasionally uses them at the 4 when he goes big. 

Just look at our very own Bobby Portis. Portis is a PF or stretch 4 in the NBA and played 99% of his minutes at the 5 spot in CMA's system.  People were yelling daily for CMA to play Portis and Kingsley together and he rarely did it, the reason for this is he likes spacing on offense and doesn't want to clog the lane with 2 bigs and he likes the ability to switch on almost everything on defense.

Best way to describe it is by saying CMA likes to play the Golden State type of lineups where he essentially has a SF playing the PF position and they only run either a PF or C in the but not both.  And looking at Golden State for an example, they have David West, who played his whole career at PF, but when he plays for Golden State the vast majority of the time they have him at their 5 spot.

Hope that makes more sense on what I'm trying to say.

I would look more towards his usage of Gafford and Chaney resembling his usage of Portis and Harris rather than Portis and Kingsley. I think the reason he hesitated to put Kingsley on the floor with Portis was more anyone but those two he could trust at the 5. This team is going to have plenty of bodies for him to be able to play his best combinations. I will be stunned if Chaney doesn't see 18-20 minutes a game. The guy is a stud and there should be games that him and Gafford will give us low post advantages that we haven't had in years.

The_Iceman

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2018, 02:50:37 pm »

I would look more towards his usage of Gafford and Chaney resembling his usage of Portis and Harris rather than Portis and Kingsley. I think the reason he hesitated to put Kingsley on the floor with Portis was more anyone but those two he could trust at the 5. This team is going to have plenty of bodies for him to be able to play his best combinations. I will be stunned if Chaney doesn't see 18-20 minutes a game. The guy is a stud and there should be games that him and Gafford will give us low post advantages that we haven't had in years.

The kinglsey and Portis comparison applies a lot more to Gafford and Henderson than it does to Gafford and Chaney. Chaney is the same size as Thomas, Cook, and Osabuohien, who all played the 4. He in the mold of an Harris as you said. If all of those guys, including Bailey and Clarke, all played the 4 in Mike's system, there is no reason to say that Mike wont play Chaney there as well.

I think if we took this argument and changed the name to Henderson, it would all be correct.

MakingPlays

• Varsity
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2018, 02:58:32 pm »

Harris is 6'6 SF.   He played SF at Houston.  He plays SF professionally.  He only played PF for Arkansas. Harris primarily scores on drives and baskets around the perimeter.  Chaney is a 6'8 PF, who gets most of his buckets in the post and in transition.  I don't think you can really compare their games and how they would be used.   

I do agree with you that Chaney plays a significant amount of minutes.  I think he plays anywhere from 16-20 MPG his first year.

I see the forward minutes looking like this...

4 - Bailey 20 MPG / Gabe 15 MPG / Chaney 5 MPG
5 - Gafford 26 MPG / Chaney 12 MPG / Henderson 2 MPG (Situational mostly to end halves when Gafford and Chaney are in Foul Trouble) /  Ali 0 MPG (Only plays during blowouts)

MakingPlays

• Varsity
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2018, 03:08:08 pm »

The kinglsey and Portis comparison applies a lot more to Gafford and Henderson than it does to Gafford and Chaney. Chaney is the same size as Thomas, Cook, and Osabuohien, who all played the 4. He in the mold of an Harris as you said. If all of those guys, including Bailey and Clarke, all played the 4 in Mike's system, there is no reason to say that Mike wont play Chaney there as well.

I think if we took this argument and changed the name to Henderson, it would all be correct.

You do realize Henderson is 6'8 210 right?  He's actually closer to the size of Cook, Gabe, and Thomas physique wise, especially if you compare freshman year weight/heights. So if you're going strictly by weight and height then Henderson is not a 5 either, he's a 4, by your logic.  Chaney is 222 right now, but his physique is different than all of those guys you mentioned, he can carry a lot more muscle, he's probably going to end up being around 235-240 by the time he's a junior, maybe even by the time he's a sophomore.  If any of the guys like Cook or Thomas got to that weight they would be considered fat, their frames don't hold weight like that, Chaney is heavier than them as a freshman, to when they were seniors... think about that.

Razorod

« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2018, 03:45:49 pm »

We also need to think in terms of hybrids--4/5's (forward/centers), 3/4's (combo forwards), 2/3's (wings), 1/2' (combo guards). CMA (and Richardson before him) likes to mix and match and be quicker to the ball than the opponent.

Players who can play multiple positions (you often hear Anderson use the term "multiple" when describing players and what they bring to the table) are what Anderson covets. Chaney, for CMA, is a 4/5, perhaps Henderson and Gabe too. Bailey (at least in theory) would be, or the idea would have been for him to be, a 3/4 (though the three part hasn't developed). Gafford and Ali are "true fives."

Same holds true for the backcourt. Harris would be a true pg (Hill also will be a true pg). Embery and Sills are probably combo guards--both primary ball handlers and off the ball. Joe, at least to me, is the closest things we'll have to a true two guard. Garland, Jones and Phillips would be wings.

So, I'd say the roster looks like this:

Gafford, true five
Ali, true five
Chaney, 4/5
Henderson, 4/5
Gabe, 4/5
Bailey, 3/4 (yes, I'm aware of the lack of three skills)
Phillips, 2/3
Jones, 2/3
Garland, 2/3
Joe, 2 (a little three if we go small)
Ember, 1/2
Sills, 1/2
Harris, 1
Hill, 1

What I think we can agree on is that this will be by far Anderson's most flexible line-up allowing him to press, mix and match in ways that he simply has not been able to do since he's been here.

Should be fun to watch.

HoopS

« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2018, 09:33:13 pm »

Seems nobody thinks Ali gets hardly any minutes. Hmm. Not sure I agree.

Pinto

• Senior
« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2018, 09:52:56 pm »

Harris is 6'6 SF.   He played SF at Houston.  He plays SF professionally.  He only played PF for Arkansas. Harris primarily scores on drives and baskets around the perimeter.  Chaney is a 6'8 PF, who gets most of his buckets in the post and in transition.  I don't think you can really compare their games and how they would be used.   

I do agree with you that Chaney plays a significant amount of minutes.  I think he plays anywhere from 16-20 MPG his first year.

I see the forward minutes looking like this...

4 - Bailey 20 MPG / Gabe 15 MPG / Chaney 5 MPG
5 - Gafford 26 MPG / Chaney 12 MPG / Henderson 2 MPG (Situational mostly to end halves when Gafford and Chaney are in Foul Trouble) /  Ali 0 MPG (Only plays during blowouts)

Again, Chaney is more of a slasher than a post player. He will be operating from elbow where he excels at beating the defender off the dribble or his explosive first step

The_Iceman

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2018, 10:32:57 pm »

You do realize Henderson is 6'8 210 right?  He's actually closer to the size of Cook, Gabe, and Thomas physique wise, especially if you compare freshman year weight/heights. So if you're going strictly by weight and height then Henderson is not a 5 either, he's a 4, by your logic.  Chaney is 222 right now, but his physique is different than all of those guys you mentioned, he can carry a lot more muscle, he's probably going to end up being around 235-240 by the time he's a junior, maybe even by the time he's a sophomore.  If any of the guys like Cook or Thomas got to that weight they would be considered fat, their frames don't hold weight like that, Chaney is heavier than them as a freshman, to when they were seniors... think about that.

Henderson offensively is a 5. He can't handle the ball or shoot anywhere close to Chaney. His height is irrelevant. His length and athleticism make him a 5 with that skillset.

MakingPlays

• Varsity
« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2018, 12:56:40 am »

Again, Chaney is more of a slasher than a post player. He will be operating from elbow where he excels at beating the defender off the dribble or his explosive first step

Alright this will be my last post regarding this because it's kinda getting redundant...

But, let's play the common sense game here.  There's 2 forward spots on the team and 80 MPG at those 2 spots.   We know Gafford barring foul trouble will play anywhere from 25-28 MPG and all those minutes will come at the 5 spot. 

Bailey, is the oldest player on the team, and a returning starter and will most likely be the team captain.  You have to figure he's locked in at for at least 15-20 MPG and only spot he's played his entire career here is at the 4 spot. 

Gabe, is a returning rotational player, plays good defense, is a glue guy.  CMA always makes room for those type of guys even if they aren't as talented as the freshman playing the same position.... See Manny Watkins playing over Nick Babb.  You figure Gabe is going to get at least 10-15 MPG.  Only position CMA has ever played him at is the 4 spot.

So, that now leads the question where will Chaney get most of minutes.  Because we all figure he's good enough to play significant minutes his first year.  That means 1 of 3 things happen. 

1.  Chaney gets most of his minutes backing up Gafford at the 5, and also playing some minutes at the 4 spot.  Similar to what Trey Thompson did the past couple years.  That's what I think happens and is the most logical choice.

2. Chaney, Bailey, and Gabe all split minutes at the 4 spot. However, in this scenario there's only about 12-13 minutes available each if all 3 of them are used exclusively in this spot.  This is possible, he did do Thomas, Cook, and Bailey like that this year, however I think Gabe is better than Cook, Chaney is better than Thomas,  and I think Bailey will be better as a junior leader, than he was as a sophomore.

3.  CMA does what he's never done before and plays the freshman over 2 upperclassmen that have proven to be good rotational/glue players.  I'm guessing this is what you and Iceman think will happen.  I think it's honestly the least likely scenario, I've never seen CMA not play glue guys, especially if they are older.

Pinto

• Senior
« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2018, 06:48:19 am »

Alright this will be my last post regarding this because it's kinda getting redundant...

But, let's play the common sense game here.  There's 2 forward spots on the team and 80 MPG at those 2 spots.   We know Gafford barring foul trouble will play anywhere from 25-28 MPG and all those minutes will come at the 5 spot. 

Bailey, is the oldest player on the team, and a returning starter and will most likely be the team captain.  You have to figure he's locked in at for at least 15-20 MPG and only spot he's played his entire career here is at the 4 spot. 

Gabe, is a returning rotational player, plays good defense, is a glue guy.  CMA always makes room for those type of guys even if they aren't as talented as the freshman playing the same position.... See Manny Watkins playing over Nick Babb.  You figure Gabe is going to get at least 10-15 MPG.  Only position CMA has ever played him at is the 4 spot.

So, that now leads the question where will Chaney get most of minutes.  Because we all figure he's good enough to play significant minutes his first year.  That means 1 of 3 things happen. 

1.  Chaney gets most of his minutes backing up Gafford at the 5, and also playing some minutes at the 4 spot.  Similar to what Trey Thompson did the past couple years.  That's what I think happens and is the most logical choice.

2. Chaney, Bailey, and Gabe all split minutes at the 4 spot. However, in this scenario there's only about 12-13 minutes available each if all 3 of them are used exclusively in this spot.  This is possible, he did do Thomas, Cook, and Bailey like that this year, however I think Gabe is better than Cook, Chaney is better than Thomas,  and I think Bailey will be better as a junior leader, than he was as a sophomore.

3.  CMA does what he's never done before and plays the freshman over 2 upperclassmen that have proven to be good rotational/glue players.  I'm guessing this is what you and Iceman think will happen.  I think it's honestly the least likely scenario, I've never seen CMA not play glue guys, especially if they are older.

Although i agree with what youre saying, Your reply has nothing to do with what I was trying to say though bro. All I was saying is you keep referring to Reggie Chaney as a low post player as if youre thinking of Reggie Perry lol.

And i do think CMA will eventually start Reggie over the upperclassmen because hes that much better than the two. Itll be similar to what happened with Dan last season minus Dan getting in foul trouble all the time...

razorback1829

« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2018, 08:09:30 am »

Seems nobody thinks Ali gets hardly any minutes. Hmm. Not sure I agree.

Still very raw. Ibbys hands need some more work. Last I heard he was having a little bit of trouble catching those quick passes that come to him.

MakingPlays

• Varsity
« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2018, 11:58:22 am »

Although i agree with what youre saying, Your reply has nothing to do with what I was trying to say though bro. All I was saying is you keep referring to Reggie Chaney as a low post player as if youre thinking of Reggie Perry lol.

And i do think CMA will eventually start Reggie over the upperclassmen because hes that much better than the two. Itll be similar to what happened with Dan last season minus Dan getting in foul trouble all the time...

Ah, my bad, I see what you replying to now. 

I'm sure you seen him more than me since you know some of those guys, but the games I watched (I believe like 4-5 games) the majority of his points were in the paint, like put backs and fast break points.  I seen him take a couple mid-range shots, I didn't really see a whole lot of him taking his man of the dribble and slashing to the basket.  Maybe we have a diff definition of a slasher, when I think of slashers I think of guys like Qualls, Hall, Harris, etc.

Also, I hope your right about CMA starting Reggie over the upperclassmen, because so far Dan has been the only one able to do that, and it took him being spectacular and future top 10 pick to do that, and even then he didn't start until like the 10th game of the season.    I've just seen too many examples of that not happening before, even this season it was pretty clear Hall was better than Beard and CMA stuck with Beard the whole time.

HoopS

« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2018, 12:45:47 pm »

Still very raw. Ibbys hands need some more work. Last I heard he was having a little bit of trouble catching those quick passes that come to him.
was it false that he scored 20 and had 10 boards recently with the others? I know its a pickup game, but if true and he did it against our guys...

razorback1829

« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2018, 01:25:15 pm »

was it false that he scored 20 and had 10 boards recently with the others? I know its a pickup game, but if true and he did it against our guys...

Haha Im not doubting the validity of the 20 and 10, just controlled team scrimmages have a way of stat compounding. Ibi will play, and get better before our eyes.

HoopS

« Reply #45 on: July 30, 2018, 01:27:39 pm »

Haha Im not doubting the validity of the 20 and 10, just controlled team scrimmages have a way of stat compounding. Ibi will play, and get better before our eyes.
oh I know. I dont put much into scrimmages. But I expected to hear 4-6 points nonetheless.

razorback1829

« Reply #46 on: July 30, 2018, 01:59:15 pm »

oh I know. I dont put much into scrimmages. But I expected to hear 4-6 points nonetheless.

I can see 3-4 points ppg. Hell have some scoreless ones.

HawgsPolo

• Varsity
« Reply #47 on: July 30, 2018, 02:22:31 pm »

Dan will average closer to 20 pts per game and will be DEF player of the year in the SEC. Harris the best pg MA has had thus far with cat like quickness.

Pinto

• Senior
« Reply #48 on: July 30, 2018, 04:31:14 pm »

...that was his average in high school lol

HoopS

« Reply #49 on: July 30, 2018, 08:05:13 pm »

...that was his average in high school lol
that is about what Id guess.

Not sure where I read about him having a good game and wanted to know more about how he got his points and who was holding him.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas