• 9,932,759 Posts
• 399,405 Topics
• 22,897 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1997 riot at Barton??  (Read 464 times)

husker71

1997 riot at Barton??
« on: July 25, 2018, 11:49:51 pm »

I am listening to Jim Cornette talk about a riot at Barton during a WWF program circa 1997.  Any of you guys were there and can tell us what really happened.  Cornette says Little Rock was a wild and crazy place to wrestle during those days.  I have started to listen to Cornette on Youtube quite a bit.  He really talks about Mid South and Dallas and Memphis besides WCW and WWE. He has hours and hours of stories on Youtube. 

TomasPistola

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Giant Bobby Portis is tired of your crap.
Re: 1997 riot at Barton??
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2018, 12:59:28 am »

There's a good write up about it here - https://www.sportskeeda.com/wwe/wwf-riot-in-little-rock-19-years-later-the-true-story

I remember it happening. I wasn't there but was in high school at the time and knew people that were there.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Hogwop

• All-American Hogvillian
  • You've raised my frosty dander!
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2018, 09:12:17 am »

I love listening to Cornette, that dude just has a way with words. I've never heard him talk about LR though so I'll have to try to find that later

hawkhawg

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2018, 12:11:53 pm »

I loved that rivalry Cornette and the Midnight Express had with the Rock'n'roll Express. 

Richard_white

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • greatness!
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2018, 12:25:45 pm »

I was there that night.

People started to throw stuff in the ring as soon as Shawn Michaels gave out some kind of award to his mentor Jose Lothario.

Once it was announced that Stone Cold wasn't going to be there, chairs and glass bottles were being thrown in the ring and Shawn ended the show.

There was people setting fire with their programs and throwing in the ring.

jbcarol

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2018, 07:21:17 pm »

I loved that rivalry Cornette and the Midnight Express had with the Rock'n'roll Express. 

I saw the RocknRoll Express wrestle together in a tag match earlier this month.

husker71

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2018, 08:51:29 am »

where was that at??   those 2 teams rivalry was really something.  So was the heat the Freebirds could get vs the Von Erichs.

Sed76

• Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2018, 12:47:05 pm »

I was there that night.

People started to throw stuff in the ring as soon as Shawn Michaels gave out some kind of award to his mentor Jose Lothario.

Once it was announced that Stone Cold wasn't going to be there, chairs and glass bottles were being thrown in the ring and Shawn ended the show.

There was people setting fire with their programs and throwing in the ring.

That's not what happened at all. First off since it was a Monday night show everyone showed up rowdy expecting Monday Night Raw. Back in those days Raw was live one week and taped the next. Our show was just a regular non televised show but we didn't know that. So right off the bat people were upset. It was a lackluster show that you could tell the guys just didn't really care about. There was a Undertaker vs Rock match that only lasted a couple of minutes. Shawn Michaels came out to give an award to local wrestling legend Danny Hodge but you couldn't hear what he was saying due to the PA system not working right. People started booing and throwing stuff. There was a couple of more matches and finally it was time for the main event which was scheduled to be Triple H with HBK and Chyna in his corner vs Ken Shamrock. When DX got in the ring people were throwing trash in the ring. Something hit Shawn Michaels and he got on the mic and said "You guys just lost your main event" and they started to leave. At Barton there is that long walk from the ring to the curtain area so they got about 3/4 of the way to the back when the ring announcer suddenly said thanks for coming out the show is over. Once that happened all hell broke loose. Triple H got hit in the face with a beer bottle as they were leaving. The ring was completely pelted with trash. People were trying to get to the ring which resulted in fights with security. A security guy got his shirt ripped off and it was set on fire in the ring. I was up in the cheap seats watching all of this unfold. When the cops came in with tear gas we decided it was time to leave. On the way out everyone was chanting WCW. Overall it was a wild night that I won't ever forget.

Richard_white

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • greatness!
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2018, 07:45:10 pm »

That's not what happened at all. First off since it was a Monday night show everyone showed up rowdy expecting Monday Night Raw. Back in those days Raw was live one week and taped the next. Our show was just a regular non televised show but we didn't know that. So right off the bat people were upset. It was a lackluster show that you could tell the guys just didn't really care about. There was a Undertaker vs Rock match that only lasted a couple of minutes. Shawn Michaels came out to give an award to local wrestling legend Danny Hodge but you couldn't hear what he was saying due to the PA system not working right. People started booing and throwing stuff. There was a couple of more matches and finally it was time for the main event which was scheduled to be Triple H with HBK and Chyna in his corner vs Ken Shamrock. When DX got in the ring people were throwing trash in the ring. Something hit Shawn Michaels and he got on the mic and said "You guys just lost your main event" and they started to leave. At Barton there is that long walk from the ring to the curtain area so they got about 3/4 of the way to the back when the ring announcer suddenly said thanks for coming out the show is over. Once that happened all hell broke loose. Triple H got hit in the face with a beer bottle as they were leaving. The ring was completely pelted with trash. People were trying to get to the ring which resulted in fights with security. A security guy got his shirt ripped off and it was set on fire in the ring. I was up in the cheap seats watching all of this unfold. When the cops came in with tear gas we decided it was time to leave. On the way out everyone was chanting WCW. Overall it was a wild night that I won't ever forget.

Stone Cold was booked and never made the show. It wasn't announced until mid to late of the show.

Also Shawn Michaels was presenting some kind of award to his mentor and a few objects were already were being thrown during the presentation.  Michaels at that point was upset. Shawn was covering the mic a couple times either telling the announcer or his mentor that someone is throwing objects in the ring. I was sitting at front row with a couple of friends. It didn't get bad until Shawn cancelled the show.

hawkhawg

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2018, 09:22:26 pm »

I saw the RocknRoll Express wrestle together in a tag match earlier this month.

Morton and Gibson have got to be in their 60s. Where did you see them.

TNhogfan

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2018, 09:27:41 pm »

There was a similar riot the night before in Memphis.  I have seen it was Hodge and Iíve read it was Lothario receiving the award.  Lothario trained Michaels in San Antonio before Watts hired Shawn.  Lothario never worked for McGuirk in AR, so it makes no sense for him to receive anything.  Hodge headlined many times at Robinson and later Barton, but he had no history with Michaels.  Plus Hodge has always lived in OK.  Itís no wonder that segment would lose the crowd on top of the no shows, short matches, and no TV. The WWF was struggling during this time.  Amazing how it began changing in 1998.

jbcarol

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2018, 06:46:37 am »

Black Label Pro in a match against Tom Lawlor and Bryan Alvarez.

Sed76

• Hogvillian
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2018, 10:28:08 am »

There was a similar riot the night before in Memphis.  I have seen it was Hodge and Iíve read it was Lothario receiving the award.  Lothario trained Michaels in San Antonio before Watts hired Shawn.  Lothario never worked for McGuirk in AR, so it makes no sense for him to receive anything.  Hodge headlined many times at Robinson and later Barton, but he had no history with Michaels.  Plus Hodge has always lived in OK.  Itís no wonder that segment would lose the crowd on top of the no shows, short matches, and no TV. The WWF was struggling during this time.  Amazing how it began changing in 1998.

Walking out of this disaster that night I really thought the WWF was done. If WCW hadn't been so arrogant this would have been the time to go for the kill. Instead the botched the debut and Sting defeating Hogan in short order.

TNhogfan

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2018, 12:38:31 pm »

Yeah, they are both in their early to mid 60s.  Morton lives and has a wrestling school about 15 miles from me.  He still wrestles on cards in the area and has his students working cards for charity events, county fair, etc. 

TNhogfan

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2018, 12:43:31 pm »

Walking out of this disaster that night I really thought the WWF was done. If WCW hadn't been so arrogant this would have been the time to go for the kill. Instead the botched the debut and Sting defeating Hogan in short order.
WCW was such a mess.  Ran the NWO angle in the ground.  Attitude era and ineptness in Atlanta turned everything around

Sed76

• Hogvillian
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2018, 11:56:13 am »

WCW was such a mess.  Ran the NWO angle in the ground.  Attitude era and ineptness in Atlanta turned everything around

True, but in December of 1997 things were still looking great for WCW. You had Sting vs Hogan coming up at Starrcade and then Bret Hart coming in after this huge controversy. It's mind boggling that WCW managed to screw not just one but both of those things up big time. Sting should have destroyed Hogan ending the NWO that night but of course they went the opposite direction.

husker71

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2018, 03:49:13 pm »

If you want to really see a riot at a wrestling show  youtube OX BAKER RIOT and enjoy.  Those guys were lucky to get out of there alive 

Hogwop

• All-American Hogvillian
  • You've raised my frosty dander!
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2018, 05:22:25 pm »

I've heard Cornette talk about several times they had to beat their way out of riots in Louisville. Wrestling used to be so intense.

DeltaBoy

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I'm Un-Reconstructed. Sic semper tyrannis
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2018, 03:48:20 pm »

We saw a barbed wired match between those two groups at Barton!  My friend wore a white dress shirt and got blood all over it.. Later in a match while he was in the bath room Beautful Bobby grabbed his folding chair and blasted one of the Rock n Roll express guys.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas