• 10,011,648 Posts
• 401,340 Topics
• 22,970 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ARMADILLO!!!  (Read 1453 times)

cpahog

ARMADILLO!!!
« on: July 24, 2018, 04:20:49 pm »

Got one tearing up jack in my landscaping.  I sort of live in the city of Fort Smith so I don't think a shotgun is an option.  Help me out here guys.

sowmonella

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • You know I'm right.
Re: ARMADILLO!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2018, 04:37:56 pm »

Call the city. It may be rabid right??? 

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

GolfNut57

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2018, 04:45:13 pm »

The Fightin Armadillos of Texas State!!!  :)

HawgWild

• Left lane, Hey!? Where’s my hammer?
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2018, 05:06:24 pm »

You know where they’re living or are they just passing through? I trapped a couple before. They have terrible eyesight. Find the path out of den and set up one of those live traps. They walk right in.

theFlyingHog

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2018, 09:16:11 pm »

I got one in my yard think he’s holed up under the concrete pool decking, it’s a big hole some critter made. He ain’t botherin me none so I let him be. I’ll take the bow after him if he gets to messing with me though.

pigture perfect

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2018, 11:41:43 pm »

Shot one with a pellet gun in my yard last Friday morning. I ha e. Ever seen an animal move quicker.

theFlyingHog

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2018, 06:59:37 am »

Shot one with a pellet gun in my yard last Friday morning. I ha e. Ever seen an animal move quicker.
If you wanna see quick tell her you got some in her hair

Mr.Swine89

• Bench Warmer
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2018, 03:52:10 pm »

I've trapped many armadillos with live traps. It's a chore to get it right though. Armadillos are creatures of habit, so all you need to do is figure out where the animal is coming from and where it is going. You need to intercept it along that path. There is no bait that I've found that consistently brings them in. They really only eat what they dig up. Whatever trap you use, it needs to be totally clean of everything except armadillo. I have had some luck with earthworms in a cake pan with some dirt mixed in, but not every time.

Großer Kriegschwein

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Mt. Massive in November
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2018, 01:17:44 am »

I lived in a subdivision (before I moved out into the Parish) and I had a couple of combat opossums that would scuff my yard up about 3-4 days a month. Apparently they don’t like to get shot with a B.B. gun very much.

Must be loud inside their turret.

But maybe it was the coonass down the street. He probably BBQd them things. He’s like a more redneck version of Jase from Duck Dynasty.

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs and Go Mike Anderson!
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2018, 08:45:49 am »

I lived in a subdivision (before I moved out into the Parish) and I had a couple of combat opossums that would scuff my yard up about 3-4 days a month. Apparently they don’t like to get shot with a B.B. gun very much.

Must be loud inside their turret.

But maybe it was the coonass down the street. He probably BBQd them things. He’s like a more redneck version of Jase from Duck Dynasty.
Ummm, possum on the half shell...

Jackrabbit Hog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • 6/27/18: Just another layer of scar tissue
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2018, 07:12:24 pm »

Give it directions to the nearest highway.

jkstock04

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2018, 06:06:28 am »

In the same boat as the OP...I have one tearing the hell out of my landscaping beds. Shooting it sounds like an easy solution but I think it comes out doing so at 3 in the morning so I never see it.

Sounds like I need to find it's den/hole. Can't stand those things.

cpahog

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2018, 09:41:07 am »

I ordered a trap on the internet.  will keep you posted. 

Had the same thing happen about 14 years ago.  There were two of them.  I clubbed one to death with a weighted golf club.  The other one jumped straight up and took off.    I'm not as fast as a was back then.

HawgWild

• Left lane, Hey!? Where’s my hammer?
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2018, 02:48:42 pm »

In the same boat as the OP...I have one tearing the hell out of my landscaping beds. Shooting it sounds like an easy solution but I think it comes out doing so at 3 in the morning so I never see it.

Sounds like I need to find it's den/hole. Can't stand those things.

Mine used to hit after dark so I took to getting up around 2 and going outside with a flashlight and my .410. Wasn't easy aiming the thing while trying to spotlight the A. As others have noted, they sure jump when startled.

Sivad

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2018, 01:36:24 am »

they sure jump when startled.
When shot too.

hawgon

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2018, 11:47:04 am »

When shot too.

An armadillo infestation one year taught me a lot about the effectiveness of bullets.  Those shot with a handgun, regardless of the caliber, jumped and ran for a long way even when fatally hit.  Those shot with a deer rifle seemed to react the same way a coke can does when shot with a deer rifle.

theFlyingHog

« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2018, 01:06:01 pm »

An armadillo infestation one year taught me a lot about the effectiveness of bullets.  Those shot with a handgun, regardless of the caliber, jumped and ran for a long way even when fatally hit.  Those shot with a deer rifle seemed to react the same way a coke can does when shot with a deer rifle.
Why do you think cops shoot perps 48 times? Lol

cpahog

« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2018, 08:47:21 am »

got him!!    got my trap yesterday and set it up beside my house last night.  Got up this morning and both doors shut on the trap.  Man those things stink.  Loaded the trap in my truck and dumped him out at fort chaffee.   I'm thinking I may have more than one so will reset tonight. 

Großer Kriegschwein

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Mt. Massive in November
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2018, 05:00:12 pm »

got him!!    got my trap yesterday and set it up beside my house last night.  Got up this morning and both doors shut on the trap.  Man those things stink.  Loaded the trap in my truck and dumped him out at fort chaffee.   I'm thinking I may have more than one so will reset tonight.

Probably the case

I hit a hog here on Fort Polk with the ole GSA truck the other day. Fortunately I have an excellent bumper guard.

Then I had a deer, an armadillo and a opossum all try to commit suicide within the next couple days.

The deer actually was running TOWARD me.

Rocket23

« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2018, 07:46:01 pm »

Treat your yard with sevin dust or other pesticide.  They are coming to eat the grubs that are coming to eat the roots on your grass.

cpahog

« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2018, 11:29:33 am »

Caught another one last night.   The Armadillo Trap works!

mountainhog

« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2018, 05:47:12 pm »

I've read armadillos can carry leprosy.  If you shoot one, use gloves if you are gonna pick one up to get rid of it.

Silence O the Hams

« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2018, 06:44:35 pm »

I have a live trap and a real prob is catching a skunk.  Throw a blanket over it hope for the best.   

bolo

« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2018, 04:47:00 pm »

I have a live trap and a real prob is catching a skunk.  Throw a blanket over it hope for the best.   
don't shoot it, drown it if you can. if you shoot it' it will still spray.

pigture perfect

« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2018, 07:04:52 pm »

The Armadillo came back last week and it met a .22 instead of a pellet gun. Haven't seen another since.

Porkys Revenge

« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2018, 08:25:06 am »

Thought about making a thread last week about the same thing. Dillos are shredding the yard at my duck camp. Anything that gets watered gets annihilated. Flower beds, yard, I even had a 6 foot tall birds of paradise out on the deck, they flipped it over and ate it down to the nubs.

Maybe the sevin dust treatment will help. Seems like soon as I shoot one, 2 more replace it.

JIMMY BOARFFETT

• I'M NOT PERFECT, BUT PARTS OF ME ARE EXCELLENT!
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2018, 09:26:37 am »

I'm BAAAACK!

twistitup

« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2018, 09:31:12 am »

Texans really care about armadillos....call one to come get it.

Hog-Corleone

« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2018, 09:37:26 am »

I've trapped many armadillos with live traps. It's a chore to get it right though. Armadillos are creatures of habit, so all you need to do is figure out where the animal is coming from and where it is going. You need to intercept it along that path. There is no bait that I've found that consistently brings them in. They really only eat what they dig up. Whatever trap you use, it needs to be totally clean of everything except armadillo. I have had some luck with earthworms in a cake pan with some dirt mixed in, but not every time.

The only problem with this is, you might get one of these.  No, fun, from experience.

AcornHunter

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2018, 06:01:32 pm »

Mr. Swine’s onto it.  They often travel alongside a wall.

Double door live trap set close to wall.  Fashion a wing at each end:  cinder blocks, buckets, ‘bout anything that will guide ‘em into the trap.  The wings don’t have to be tall.  Cinder-block tall is plenty good.

If I experience Don Hog-Corleone’s experience, and they are trapped at a place I don’t want smelled up.  I lay an old sheet or such over the trap, gently pick up the whole shiteree, place it on the tailgate of the pickup and drive to the skunk-killin spot.  Slow and easy is the name of the game.  I’ve never been sprayed while loading, transporting, or unloading.   But . . .

I’ve never shot one (and I’ve shot many with many different firearms) that it didn’t stink.  Just stay upwind while emptying the trap.

DeltaBoy

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I'm Un-Reconstructed. Sic semper tyrannis
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2018, 10:33:21 am »

The only problem with this is, you might get one of these.  No, fun, from experience.

You got to hit them right between the eyes to prevent them from spraying with a 22 any thing bigger just blows their heads off.

sowmonella

• You know I'm right.
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2018, 09:53:43 am »

Hmmmm……….

1highhog

• Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat.
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2018, 08:32:46 pm »

Did you bait your trap?

cpahog

« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2018, 09:19:51 am »

No on the bait.  The armadillo trap says don’t do it.  I’ve now caught 4 of them.  I think I’ve finally cleared them out
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas