• 396,355 Topics
• 22,570 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Are you the type of fan that gets bitter when an instate recruit goes elsewhere?  (Read 3554 times)

oldbooniehog

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Testing...testing

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Woo Pig Sooie, brotha!

If he grew up in Arkansas and does not want to be a Razorback then get the heck out of my state, we don't want you. I don't care who the player is. DeAngelo Williams, Keith Jackson, it doesn't matter. We don't need you unless you are sold on being a Hog for life.
What if they are from Texas and come to play for the Hogs? Are those people traitors to their home state?

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

TuckerHog

• Bench Warmer
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net

What if they are from Texas and come to play for the Hogs? Are those people traitors to their home state?

Did I say a traitor? No I did not, if you don't want to be a Hog we don't want you.

DLUXHOG

• It'll feel better when it quits hurtin'

Texas has so many millions upon millions of population, that they really don't notice or care if a lot of their players leaving the state...

oldgoat

It's not the same.  Every kid who grows up here knows the struggles we face as a relatively small school/state.  To me there's something very special about someone who plays here, and I bet their families appreciate being able to see them more.
  If you prefer another coach or want to develop at a school known for your position I get it if you need to go elsewhere.
  But if they're the mercenary/selfish type who only thinks of himself then I'm glad they're gone and I forget their names.
  Also, AR players can go pro from UA as easily as anywhere else and we'll remember them.

• Woo Pig Sooie, brotha!

It's not the same.  Every kid who grows up here knows the struggles we face as a relatively small school/state.  To me there's something very special about someone who plays here, and I bet their families appreciate being able to see them more.
  If you prefer another coach or want to develop at a school known for your position I get it if you need to go elsewhere.
  But if they're the mercenary/selfish type who only thinks of himself then I'm glad they're gone and I forget their names.
  Also, AR players can go pro from UA as easily as anywhere else and we'll remember them.
What about the Hogs that come from Louisiana?

TuckerHog

• Bench Warmer

LSU gets pretty much who they want from Louisiana.  In fact LSU has no excuse for not being top five every year. 

oldgoat

What about the Hogs that come from Louisiana?
I love them and am glad they're here.  I believe they probably liked our coaches as I said for AR kids.

TheRazorback500

• It's better to burn out than fade away.

I might act bitter just to stir up a little debate on a forum, but no, I don't harp on it. Let 'em go and move on to the next one.

rlamb

Yes, very bitter. An example is Keith Jackson who went to Okie from Parkview and was all Big 8
3 times and a 1st team All America twice. Mark Hutson as OG went to Okie from Fort Smith the
same year as Jackson and was an All-American there.  Ken Favanaugh was an All-American end from
Little Rock, at LSU. Charlie Flowers was a Fullback from Marianna and made consensus All-Amer.
at Ole Miss in 59'. Don Hutson from Pine Bluff was AA at Bama in the 30's   alongsideBear Bryant
at the other end and is always mentioned in the Top 5 receivers in the history of the NFL.

Some defensive tackles from Arkansas made all conference at various stops like Okie State in
the 70's. You put these and some others all together and it's pretty mind blowing but they were
30-70 years ago and there really have been no difference makers of late going out of State
that I can think of? Maybe Cedric Houston at Tennessee where I believe he ranks in their all
time top 5 in rushing.

supersaint

I unfollow them on the facebooks

Pork Twain

Not even a little, I am bitter when an in-state recruit is an asshat on his way to another school, but we get plenty of kids from other states.

jkstock04

No. I'm not a Twitter/Facebook guy so I don't get emotionally attached to every word a 17 yr old kid posts online like some seem to do.

Not good for the program so it sucks...but personally bitter? No. Especially if you consider circumstances like who our coach is at the time and what kind of program he is running.

mah062

• Band Nerd

I'm trying to think of the last instate recruit that went elsewhere and made all conference, in any P5 conference.
Kenneth Dixon probably had the talent to do so (if he would've played in a P5 conference).

Smalltownhog95

• Varsity

K Allen deciding to go to Florida was fine and he didn't spit in anyones face.What Malik Monk did makes people bitter.

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
  • You like my stripes, I know you do.

What I find funny is when a instate player the Hogs were not even recruiting ends up turning out to be decent where he ends up going. The freak out over Crockett in 2016 is a prime example. Hogs have running backs out the ears, Hogs had RWIII rush for over 1300 yards that season, but you'd have thought we missed out on the next Dmac by not getting Crockett.

I dont get upset because, out side of maybe 3 players a year, and the hogs usually get 2 or all 3, I think the program could get better players from elsewhere. Now, the trick is actually getting them. Also, it seems many times that out of the top 10 players in AR HS football, 3 or 4 play the same position, and you often they can't afford to sign all 4.

nwahogfan1

It seems to be pretty common here. Especially when that instate recruit is successful elsewhere.
Absolutely not but I do want to replace an instate 4 star lost for another 4 star from where ever.    I know if you lose 4 star local kids and replace them for a lesser recruit you will continue the slide downward.

Tell me how many lost instate recruits have we lost in the past 10 years that decimated our program?  The ones I remember that went to Bama hardly saw the field,  the one who went to Ohio State is a role player up there at best so who.  I know I am missing some so remind me.

We need STUDS no matter the location.  I am hoping Morris can revive our Texas connection of the past with at least 10 studs a year plus continue to sign 5+ from La. and neighboring states then cherry pick other locations.  Again, We need  more STUDS.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 09:25:19 am by nwahogfan1 »

pigroots

Not bitter because its none of my business where he chooses to go. BUT I am a hog fan and if he chooses to walk away from his home state then at that point I couldn't care less whether they succeed or not. If we play them I hope they fail that particular day. When you only produce 6-8 SEC recruits each year you gotta hope those young men have enough home state pride to want to be part of something great here at home. If your good enough the NFL will find you whether you're at Alabama or West Florida A&M

redleg

• Senior

It aggravates me when the top in-state players snub Arkansas, especially for an SEC rival. I do not understand their way of thinking. There are mitigating circumstances of course, such as their talent set does not fit the current system at Arkansas, or Fayetteville does not offer a degree that player wants to pursue, or family tradition at another school. All of those things are understandable. However, it does not mean that I will be cheering for them to beat the Hogs, nor will I join their fan club. They are no longer "ours". Let the fans of their chosen school cheer for them. Now once they leave and go pro, IF they go pro, then I can relent and be a fan of theirs again. But I will NOT cheer for them to beat my team.
All of that said, if an in-state player is offered by the Hogs, and they just do not want to play for Arkansas, and it does not involve any of the reasons I listed above, and they choose to play for a conference rival to help them beat us, then as far as I am concerned, they can just stay there.
I  know we are dealing with 17 and 18 year old kids that are inexperienced, and whose brains are not fully developed yet, but it just doesn't make any sense to me to snub your home-state team. You'd think someone in their inner circle would show them that there have been very few Arkansas produced football players that snub the Hogs and went on to success at a rival. Lee Zeimba did well at Auburn. Name another that was a consistent starter without getting kicked off the team, or transferring, or being buried on the depth chart, or forced to change positions only to disappear or transfer. KJ Hill is doing well at Ohio St, but then again, that is not a conference rival, so I really don't care.
I does bug me, but only because 9 out of 10 do not fair well away from home. I'm not talking about winning rings. I'm talking about being a contributor on the field, and doing it for three or four seasons without something bad happening. Could it have happened in Fayetteville too? Sure. But I tend to think they would have been a little more grounded.....and.....they would have been a hometown hero, and could have written their own tickets after their playing days were over. In-state Hogs fans know how to take care of former Razorbacks.

AirWarren

• Uncommonly, Unfinished Business.

No. I'm not a Twitter/Facebook guy so I don't get emotionally attached to every word a 17 yr old kid posts online like some seem to do.

Not good for the program so it sucks...but personally bitter? No. Especially if you consider circumstances like who our coach is at the time and what kind of program he is running.

This x1000.

Youngsta71701

• There's a God somewhere.

A little disappointed yes. Bitter no.
This^^^

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian

I does bug me, but only because 9 out of 10 do not fair well away from home.

But too many assume they would fare well here. Most of the time they do not fare well because of poor work habits, study habits or other bad choices that we have seen many in state kids come to Ar and make. Why? Because 18 yr olds make bad choices all the time, throw in the upbringing many of them have and they are going to make bad choices wherever they go to school.

BRNHOGFAN

Disappointed yes.  Bitter no.  The ONLY thing that aggravates me is when the commentator says over and over again __________ from Arkansas......

Biggus Piggus

• Escaped Journalist
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville: The mosh pit of Razorbackland

Every situation in the past has been different. The only ones who really riled me up were the ones who played Arkansas all the way then took money to go to one of our rivals.

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian

Every situation in the past has been different. The only ones who really riled me up were the ones who played Arkansas all the way then took money to go to one of our rivals.

Did all the recruits the Hogs got to leave Texas or Bama or MS or LA or any other state get paid to do so?

That is what may be the funniest thing with hog fans. Our program MUST HAVE players that choose to leave their state, yet no player from Ar should ever leave, and the only reason they do is because they get paid off ( according to those who get butt hurt over a kid leaving ).

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian

I'll never be bitter when a recruit goes to one of the "academic" programs such as a Stanford.  Don't pass that up.  I get loving the Hogs and the home state.  But if you can handle the culture in a place like the Bay Area or Evanston or losing at a place like Purdue or Vandy football, go.

I'm not bitter when recruits are up front about their reasons why they want to leave or when they are looking at a much better program.  Recruits not from Arkansas like a couple of recent football ones in JB.  Or a family connection like the OL who went to AU. 

I get annoyed when they are looking at comparable or lesser programs like Ole Miss, Ok St or Memphis.  When cheating is rather obvious is when it gets bitter. 

Michaelt

Not in the least. These kids, along with their families, try to make the best decision where they feel they will best fit into a program.
If it's here in Arkansas, great!
If not, wish them luck and hope they excel in school and their athletic career.

RT1941

Did all the recruits the Hogs got to leave Texas or Bama or MS or LA or any other state get paid to do so?

That is what may be the funniest thing with hog fans. Our program MUST HAVE players that choose to leave their state, yet no player from Ar should ever leave, and the only reason they do is because they get paid off ( according to those who get butt hurt over a kid leaving ).
Errbody's getting paid man, some programs just out bid others in the process........it's a "business" decision.

To be honest, the only way I see UA taking a step forward in the current recruiting landscape is to pick up the pace quite a few notches, open those wallets to get the talent to sign on the line for the Hogs.  That's the only way to compete in our conference these days. 

porkeez

• Walk-On

If an in-state kid turns down the Hogs to play somewhere else, I want them to tear their ACL the first day of practice.  I want them to work hard to overcome that injury, then I want them to re-injure it.  If possible, I want their father to be fired from his in-state job, and for all other employers to blackball him so he can't work in this state again.  I want his mother heckled every time she goes to the store and I want the player's younger brother to be bullied at school.  I want their local church to excommunicate them from the fold and condemn them to Hell. 
But, no, I wouldn't say I get bitter.

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian

If an in-state kid turns down the Hogs to play somewhere else, I want them to tear their ACL the first day of practice.  I want them to work hard to overcome that injury, then I want them to re-injure it.  If possible, I want their father to be fired from his in-state job, and for all other employers to blackball him so he can't work in this state again.  I want his mother heckled every time she goes to the store and I want the player's younger brother to be bullied at school.  I want their local church to excommunicate them from the fold and condemn them to Hell. 

Stay classy now.

And you created your 1st ever hogville acct to make that your 1st post, awesome.

Youngsta71701

Stay classy now.

And you created your 1st ever hogville acct to make that your 1st post, awesome.
It's funny, I smell a little sarcasm in that post but at the same time I sense some true to it as well. Lol...

Ben

• Senior

Not at all. Because God forbid a kid makes his own decision for HIS life and future and not for a few other fans. It kills me to see salty hog fans when a player does that. Like a bunch of bitter females who can't get over a man finding someone else. Maybe another school has more to offer and could give them a better chance at a title. Keith Jackson won a national title, Michael Dyer had an iconic run that led Auburn to a national title. KJ Hill has experenced a CFP and a big ten title/ny6 bowl win. Malik Monk experienced the elite 8. None of these players would have experienced any of what they did if they went to Arkansas, and probably wouldn't be close to it. So kudos to them.

Whats even more crazy is our fans claim up and down that we are such an elite program. if our fans actually believed that, they wouldn't get so butthurt over an instate recruit leaving the state, because they can get someone else from another state, you know, since we are elite. None the other fanbases of elite programs gets that butthurt over an instate recruit leaving. That's a sign of mediocrity

Letsroll1200

Never. It's great to see young guys going to college instead of going to prison.

nchogg

• Senior

If he grew up in Arkansas and does not want to be a Razorback then get the heck out of my state, we don't want you. I don't care who the player is. DeAngelo Williams, Keith Jackson, it doesn't matter. We don't need you unless you are sold on being a Hog for life.

Get out of YOUR State. You seem to forget that it's also THERE State. Don't use the statement "We don't want you unless you are sold on being a Hog for life". Write that in a singular fashion not a plural. Not everyone think's the way you do. Go Hogs!

HogPharmer

If youíre gonna troll, at least have the balls to do it from your original account. If youíre too afraid to post it because you might get banned, then donít post it. Man up or get the hell out.

Yamahog

• Bench Warmer
  • Hogville.net "Rocks"?

I'm a little disappointed, but I'm mostly concerned about kids who want to be playing for Arkansas, wherever they come from

tbhogfan

It depends on the circumstances.  Some players pretty well let it be known from the get-go that they are going out of state.  The ones that bother me are the ones that say they're leaning towards Arkansas and then pull a big publicity stunt and go to another team (Monk).

The bottom line is that our life blood is getting other kids to leave their states, so we can't get too upset when one of ours leaves.  I'd rather cheer the vast majority of top-flight Arkansas talent who stays than fixate on the one who got away.

The NewEra

• New Era

With the limited talent in Arkansas it stings when a top rated player in the state goes elsewhere.  Yes, they are viewed as turning their back on their home state.  Instead of having the attitude, I'm going to help take this team to greatness, some choose a different path.  It would be easier to understand if this was the sixth year under a failed Bielema program.  By all accounts, this staff is doing everything they can to show they are the type of coaches you want to spend four years with and they are capable of building a successful SEC program.  I hope any players who commit to another school have a very good reason to reconsider that commitment by the end of the year and join the Hogs for the future ride.  If they do go elsewhere I pretty well do my best to forget them all together and I wouldn't go out of my way to support them in the future.  Certainly not ahead of a young man who decided to stay home and help build this program.

liljo

With the limited talent in Arkansas it stings when a top rated player in the state goes elsewhere.  Yes, they are viewed as turning their back on their home state.  Instead of having the attitude, I'm going to help take this team to greatness, some choose a different path.  It would be easier to understand if this was the sixth year under a failed Bielema program.  By all accounts, this staff is doing everything they can to show they are the type of coaches you want to spend four years with and they are capable of building a successful SEC program.  I hope any players who commit to another school have a very good reason to reconsider that commitment by the end of the year and join the Hogs for the future ride.  If they do go elsewhere I pretty well do my best to forget them all together and I wouldn't go out of my way to support them in the future.  Certainly not ahead of a young man who decided to stay home and help build this program.

That's close enough to my take that all I got to say is:

+1

Youngsta71701

Top players that leave the state (that Arkansas wanted) get no love from me. Period. Do I get bitter about it? No. Disappointed? Yes. But they are dead to me afterwards and if they ever run into Arkansas in any sport I hope we beat the dogshit out of them.

And the reason I feel that way is because top rated recruits in our state are harder to come by than most other states in ANY sport. Not to mention we only have one Big Time program in the state and we need all the support from to the state in order to be at our best.

liljo

True story:

There was once a very highly rated recruit out of Malvern High School. He was greased lightning as an RB, but everyone really wanted him as a Safety because of his propensity to Seek & Destroy. He was nasty. Mean. Good size, tough as nails. Arkansas and Tennessee were in the finals, and he verbally chose Tennessee.

In the state playoffs, Malvern went up against Alma. Alma had a linebacker, a STRONG Razorback commit who wouldn't even consider other schools. Kid was born a Razorback and would die one before even considering another school.

First quarter of the game, the Malvern kid took a toss and tried to get to the sideline. The Alma LB nailed him, knocking him into a bench full of Gatoraide. The Alma kid jumped to his feet and stood over the Malvern kid and yelled, "TAKE THAT TO TENNESSEE!" He was PUMPED up and just wore the Malvern kid out the whole game.

The Malvern kid, Harold Harris, ended up changing his commitment and became a Razorback.

Youngsta71701

True story:

There was once a very highly rated recruit out of Malvern High School. He was greased lightning as an RB, but everyone really wanted him as a Safety because of his propensity to Seek & Destroy. He was nasty. Mean. Good size, tough as nails. Arkansas and Tennessee were in the finals, and he verbally chose Tennessee.

In the state playoffs, Malvern went up against Alma. Alma had a linebacker, a STRONG Razorback commit who wouldn't even consider other schools. Kid was born a Razorback and would die one before even considering another school.

First quarter of the game, the Malvern kid took a toss and tried to get to the sideline. The Alma LB nailed him, knocking him into a bench full of Gatoraide. The Alma kid jumped to his feet and stood over the Malvern kid and yelled, "TAKE THAT TO TENNESSEE!" He was PUMPED up and just wore the Malvern kid out the whole game.

The Malvern kid, Harold Harris, ended up changing his commitment and became a Razorback.
Who was the Alma Linebacker?

The NewEra

• New Era

True story:

I'm giving you a +1 back because your story made me laugh and feel that sense of pride that comes with being a die hard Hog Fan.

liljo

Who was the Alma Linebacker?

I'm gettin' old, my friend, and couldn't think of this kid's name to save my life.

But I was at the game. I was...VERY close to the action. I asked another Malvern player after the game that was On Site, to clarify what the Alma kid said. My report is Accurate.

I'm sorry I cannot think of that kid's name. He was a hard-nosed country boy that was obviously raised right.

Youngsta71701

I'm gettin' old, my friend, and couldn't think of this kid's name to save my life.

But I was at the game. I was...VERY close to the action. I asked another Malvern player after the game that was On Site, to clarify what the Alma kid said. My report is Accurate.

I'm sorry I cannot think of that kid's name. He was a hard-nosed country boy that was obviously raised right.
Lol...WooPig!!

Biggus Piggus

• Escaped Journalist
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville: The mosh pit of Razorbackland

Wow you leaped to another wrong conclusion. Why am I not surprised?

Maybe you could go back and try reading that again. Good lord.

Youngsta71701

He has a habit of doing that.  ;)

LRRandy

• tOSU

Absolutely not but I do want to replace an instate 4 star lost for another 4 star from where ever.    I know if you lose 4 star local kids and replace them for a lesser recruit you will continue the slide downward.

Tell me how many lost instate recruits have we lost in the past 10 years that decimated our program?  The ones I remember that went to Bama hardly saw the field,  the one who went to Ohio State is a role player up there at best so who.  I know I am missing some so remind me.

We need STUDS no matter the location.  I am hoping Morris can revive our Texas connection of the past with at least 10 studs a year plus continue to sign 5+ from La. and neighboring states then cherry pick other locations.  Again, We need  more STUDS.
your  role player led a top 5 team in receptions. Try again.

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian

Oh, I guess only the "good" recruits took money to go elsewhere? Maybe you could provide a list of the ones who left the state because they got paid. And of course I am sure you can prove the accusation. I mean it could not be they just wanted to go somewhere else.

As I said, Hog fans better be glad kids leave their home state to play football, because if they did not the Hogs would be DIII

hogmolar

• Senior

Wow sucks for all the kids in state who go to OBU, AR Tech, UCA, Harding, ASU, HSU, UALR, etc... who are now Hog fans.  DWR would be pretty bare every Saturday if everyone took this stance. 
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas