• 9,932,539 Posts
• 399,401 Topics
• 22,897 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Are you the type of fan that gets bitter when an instate recruit goes elsewhere?  (Read 4120 times)

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Woo Pig Sooie, brotha!

your  role player led a top 5 team in receptions. Try again.
Dyer was the MVP of the championship game and there are people on this board who say he didn't do anything.

daprospecta

If he grew up in Arkansas and does not want to be a Razorback then get the heck out of my state, we don't want you. I don't care who the player is. DeAngelo Williams, Keith Jackson, it doesn't matter. We don't need you unless you are sold on being a Hog for life.
DeAngelo Williams is family and he wanted to be a hog but we had a crazy amount of good RB's at the time. I didn't really know just how good our backfield was until my freshman on the hill.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Youngsta71701

• There's a God somewhere.

56 for 549...not impressive.

Youngsta71701

Oh, I guess only the "good" recruits took money to go elsewhere? Maybe you could provide a list of the ones who left the state because they got paid. And of course I am sure you can prove the accusation. I mean it could not be they just wanted to go somewhere else.

As I said, Hog fans better be glad kids leave their home state to play football, because if they did not the Hogs would be DIII
The difference is that the states that Arkansas gets recruits from usually have so many to go around that they aren't missed. While the state of Arkansas doesn't. The pain of us losing a top instate player is felt a little more than other schools. That's the BIG difference. That's not hard to understand.

RyanMallettsEgo

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Take it easy, I'm pre-law.

Team leader in receptions and 36 yards short of being the leading receiver in yardage on a 12-2 P5 team.

Pretty impressive.

He led our top receiver by 19 receptions and 10 yards.

But don't let that screw with your obviously objective agenda.

Youngsta71701

Team leader in receptions and 36 yards short of being the leading receiver in yardage on a 12-2 P5 team.

Pretty impressive.

He led our top receiver by 19 receptions and 10 yards.

But don't let that screw with your obviously objective agenda.
Dude, we didn't have much to brag about when it came to receiving last year. Just saying...K.J. Hill is good and I wish he had come to Arkansas but don't try to act like he's done some major because he hasn't. Pick another team to compare his stats to besides ours last year under Bielema.

RyanMallettsEgo

Dude, we didn't have much to brag about when it came to receiving last year. Just saying...

Okay. Then take us out of the argument.

He still finished as the leader in receptions and right behind the leader in receiving yards on a 12-2 P5 team that finished the season at #5.

Not too bad.

Youngsta71701

Okay. Then take us out of the argument.

He still finished as the leader in receptions and right behind the leader in receiving yards on a 12-2 P5 team that finished the season at #5.

Not too bad.
We can agree on that but he still hasn't blown up or anything. If you're not from Arkansas or Ohio you probably don't even know who he is.

Ben

• Senior
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net

Like i said earlier, fans act like bitter females when someone in the state goes elsewhere. Then try to downplay any success they have. Keith Jackson and Mike Dyer have as many rings as the Razorback football program and contributed a lot to the team. KJ Hill lead Ohio St in receptions. The same mindset is why most hate Gus Malzahn and can't stand how successful he is as a coach. But yet in the same breath, these fans will say Arkansas is elite. Fanbases of elite programs don't cry when an instate recruit leaves elsewhere because they are too busy getting good ones both instate and out of state.

RyanMallettsEgo

We can agree on that but he still hasn't blown up or anything. If you're not from Arkansas or Ohio you probably don't know who he is.

So you can't name any WRs on other SEC teams?

If John Smith is from Hawaii and goes to Auburn and is close to being their leading receiver, do only people from Hawaii and Alabama know who he is?

Youngsta71701

So you can't name any WRs on other SEC teams?

If John Smith is from Hawaii and goes to Auburn and is close to being their leading receiver, do only people from Hawaii and Alabama know who he is?
I watch the SEC all the time so of course I know WR's from other teams. You missed my point. It's not like people or your average fan from all over the country know him yet. They may one day but not yet.

factchecker

• RAZORBACKS OR NOTHING!

Fanbases of elite programs don't cry when an instate opponent leaves elsewhere because they are too busy getting good ones both instate and out of state.
I think you mean instate recruit and you are off you rocker if you believe that statement. I've heard plenty of Bama fans get pissed when they lose a recruit to Auburn and vice versa.

LSU fans get pissed when they lose an instate recruit to Bama as well.  Miami fans were telling themselves that we paid Alex Collins to come here.  If the program you are a fan of is in contention to get a top recruit then it sucks to miss out.  It is what it is.

We might not be elite but we get plenty of talent in and out of state despite our failure.  The problem is that we play in the SEC - so a top 30 recruiting class is good for around 12th in the league.  Other programs can have a class in the 90s and be the best in their garbage conference.

ArkansasI

Don't know that I'm "bitter" - I have the sense to know and respect that the choice is the player's.  However, I am very disappointed when Arkansas prepsters accept scholarships to play football or basketball for other universities when Arkansas offered the kid a scholly and:

- The player indicates his choice is based upon a business/"bidness" decision;

- I am led to believe - correct or not - that the Hog coaches responsible for gaining the player's commitment did not do an adequate job of selling the University of Arkansas to the prospect (which, in my mind, must be every time); and especially when

- The player commits to a rival school - meaning any school other than Stanford or Northwestern.  (I give no exceptions to Notre Dame football because NBC's "Notre Dame Saturday" is an unfair competitive edge; and Duke basketball is a fraud.)

Bitter?  I'd definitely say "not."  :)

I hold no grudges.

Youngsta71701

I think you mean instate recruit and you are off you rocker if you believe that statement. I've heard plenty of Bama fans get pissed when they lose a recruit to Auburn and vice versa.

LSU fans get pissed when they lose an instate recruit to Bama as well.  Miami fans were telling themselves that we paid Alex Collins to come here.  If the program you are a fan of is in contention to get a top recruit then it sucks to miss out.  It is what it is.

We might not be elite but we get plenty of talent in and out of state despite our failure.  The problem is that we play in the SEC - so a top 30 recruiting class is good for around 12th in the league.  Other programs can have a class in the 90s and be the best in their garbage conference.
Preach...and to say otherwise means you truly don't understand recruiting. Every program is disappointed if they don't get a big fish in their state. Elite program or not. Especially when they've put in a lot of time an effort on that recruit.

factchecker

• RAZORBACKS OR NOTHING!

Preach...
With that being said - I don't feel "bitter" about any player who leaves the state. I don't do the state pride thing. I only care about the Razorbacks.  If they aren't Razorbacks then I won't follow their career or root them on - I simply don't care.

The only time I even think about Arkansans playing elsewhere is when I see it on a message board.  It seems like hogville brings up the players that we overlooked (no offer) as much as the players who left despite an offer.  Our fans are just as likely to get pissed at the coaches for undervaluing local talent.... especially the one's who clearly wanted to play here.

The main Arkansans who draw ire usually handled their recruitment poorly.  If you flip or string along the coach and fan base then there is going to be anger - and that holds true for out of state recruits as well.  The only difference is that we are constantly reminded about the instate recruits.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!

With that being said - I don't feel "bitter" about any player who leaves the state. I don't do the state pride thing. I only care about the Razorbacks.  If they aren't Razorbacks then I won't follow their career or root them on - I simply don't care.

The only time I even think about Arkansans playing elsewhere is when I see it on a message board.  It seems like hogville brings up the players that we overlooked (no offer) as much as the players who left despite an offer.  Our fans are just as likely to get pissed at the coaches for undervaluing local talent.... especially the one's who clearly wanted to play here.

The main Arkansans who draw ire usually handled their recruitment poorly.  If you flip or string along the coach and fan base then there is going to be anger - and that holds true for out of state recruits as well.  The only difference is that we are constantly reminded about the instate recruits.

Agree it’s mostly all about how the recruitment is handled by them. What does indeed bother me to some degree is when any college athlete squanders the golden opportunity given to them and not get their degree or work hard or gets in trouble and kicked off the team and leaves school, flunks out, arrested, etc.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 08:29:06 pm by Inhogswetrust »

• Woo Pig Sooie, brotha!

I watch the SEC all the time so of course I know WR's from other teams. You missed my point. It's not like people or your average fan from all over the country know him yet. They may one day but not yet.
Can the average from all over the country name a single current Razorback?

tusked

• Clapton is god....but SRV was the big bang!

Maybe I am bitter.  Don't call a news conference with young kids shipped in and commit to the hogs and make a big deal only to flip them off later.

LRRandy

no question that he is not going to be in the running for the Beilitnikoff award. I was simply pointing out that he was a major contributor on a top 5 team to counter the posters contention that he didn't play much. Wether you are impressed or not doesn't matter. He led a top team in receptions, with a run first QB.

Großer Kriegschwein

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Is it football season yet?

no question that he is not going to be in the running for the Beilitnikoff award. I was simply pointing out that he was a major contributor on a top 5 team to counter the posters contention that he didn't play much. Wether you are impressed or not doesn't matter. He led a top team in receptions, with a run first QB.

Hooray

Moving right along.

Youngsta71701

Can the average from all over the country name a single current Razorback?
Yep, we have a few players that are on National Watch List.

https://www.fox16.com/sports/razorback-nation/three-razorback-football-players-named-to-watch-lists/203073618

Youngsta71701

Point taken but if he's not a Razorback I don't go out of my way to pay attention.

Biggus Piggus

• Escaped Journalist
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville: The mosh pit of Razorbackland

Oh, I guess only the "good" recruits took money to go elsewhere? Maybe you could provide a list of the ones who left the state because they got paid. And of course I am sure you can prove the accusation. I mean it could not be they just wanted to go somewhere else.

As I said, Hog fans better be glad kids leave their home state to play football, because if they did not the Hogs would be DIII

No, only the ones that took money are the ones who took money. Sheesh.

LRRandy

Point taken but if he's not a Razorback I don't go out of my way to pay attention.
fair enough.

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
  • You like my stripes, I know you do.

No, only the ones that took money are the ones who took money. Sheesh.

In other words, you don't know that any took money. Maybe they just didn't want to play for a program that has to take their show on the road to get people in their own state to go to games, that hasn't won a conf title since the 80's, and has NO CHANCE of getting enough of the type of players needed to win the SEC in it's current set up. No, cant be that, they had to get paid.

What I find really funny are all the Hog fans that have left the state, commenting on how bad it is for these kids to leave the state.

• Woo Pig Sooie, brotha!

https://www.fox16.com/sports/razorback-nation/three-razorback-football-players-named-to-watch-lists/203073618
I didn't realize Trey Flowers, Alex Collins and Jonathan Williams still played for the Hogs.

RyanMallettsEgo

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

"Semifinalists for the Bednarik Award will be announced November 3, 2014, while the three finalists will be unveiled November 24, 2014. The winner will be announced as part of the Home Depot College Football Awards Show held on December 11, 2014."

Razorbackers

• Good Takes Found Here

It seems to be pretty common here. Especially when that instate recruit is successful elsewhere.

It depends on how they leave, not if they leave.

liljo

It depends on how they leave, not if they leave.
Agreed.

Nashville Fan

• Welcome to next year!

A kid has to do what is best for him and his family. That doesn't mean his home state has to like a decision to go out of state. Every decision has consequences. Some good some bad.

LZH

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Tight but Loose

A guy from one of our stores in Fort Lauderdale and I were talking about Collins, and he kidded that the reason that his mother took off with his paperwork was because Miami offered a lot more money.

HognitiveDissonance

Not at all. With that said, I don't pay any attention to said recruit anymore. Kind of like I never heard of them if they don't play for the Hogs.
Me too.
It's their life, and I don't begrudge someone their personal decision and hate them, or be bitter.
But having said that, if you don't play for the Hogs, I no longer follow your career, root for you, or even care about you.
I will promise this: I will do no harm. I won't be positive about you, but I won't be negative either.

HognitiveDissonance

Like i said earlier, fans act like bitter females when someone in the state goes elsewhere. Then try to downplay any success they have. Keith Jackson and Mike Dyer have as many rings as the Razorback football program and contributed a lot to the team. KJ Hill lead Ohio St in receptions. The same mindset is why most hate Gus Malzahn and can't stand how successful he is as a coach. But yet in the same breath, these fans will say Arkansas is elite. Fanbases of elite programs don't cry when an instate recruit leaves elsewhere because they are too busy getting good ones both instate and out of state.
Wait a min. I neither hate Gus Malzahn, nor claim he's not a successful coach. Where does this *most*' stuff come from? Because 10 people on the internet said something, so that represents the fanbase?

Actually I see your point, and am not really picking on you, honestly. I'm just saying this happens quite a bit. A few people post something on the internet and it somehow becomes representative of *most* people.

I've said a dozen times. The only way to really know what the fanbase is thinking is to take a poll of 70,000 people...such as attending a football game...and that's a good sampling of folks. Not just from internet warriors.

HogPharmer

Wait a min. I neither hate Gus Malzahn, nor claim he's not a successful coach. Where does this *most*' stuff come from? Because 10 people on the internet said something, so that represents the fanbase?

Actually I see your point, and am not really picking on you, honestly. I'm just saying this happens quite a bit. A few people post something on the internet and it somehow becomes representative of *most* people.

I've said a dozen times. The only way to really know what the fanbase is thinking is to take a poll of 70,000 people...such as attending a football game...and that's a good sampling of folks. Not just from internet warriors.

Taking your response a step further, I’ll agree... especially when those 70,000 people don’t show up for a game that they have already paid for. That’s a good enough sample size to get a head coach fired.

HognitiveDissonance

What if they are from Texas and come to play for the Hogs? Are those people traitors to their home state?
It's not quite the same.
Ark is like Nebraska...there is one huge primary following in the state. Rejecting their offer has a much bigger impact (and jilted lover effect) than if a Texas player leaves Texas. Who is the Texas player jilting---there are dozens of D-1 programs in the state.

Biggus Piggus

• Escaped Journalist
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville: The mosh pit of Razorbackland

In other words, you don't know that any took money. Maybe they just didn't want to play for a program that has to take their show on the road to get people in their own state to go to games, that hasn't won a conf title since the 80's, and has NO CHANCE of getting enough of the type of players needed to win the SEC in it's current set up. No, cant be that, they had to get paid.

What I find really funny are all the Hog fans that have left the state, commenting on how bad it is for these kids to leave the state.

Wrong again. You are tiresome.

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian

Wrong again. You are tiresome.

no more so than you. Always with unfounded statements, and the whiney " we get beat because everyone is cheating " bleating.

The Hogs get beaten on the field and for top recruits because they are a middle of the road program. Things could be done in state to fix some of that, but then we might lose a few 100 pupil school districts or a dozen 13 player football teams.

DLUXHOG

• It'll feel better when it quits hurtin'

no more so than you. Always with unfounded statements, and the whiney " we get beat because everyone is cheating " bleating.

The Hogs get beaten on the field and for top recruits because they are a middle of the road program. Things could be done in state to fix some of that, but then we might lose a few 100 pupil school districts or a dozen 13 player football teams.

Agree.... look people...   stop comparing the state of Arkansas to Texas.   Texas has 28.3 million folks living there, whereas Arkansas has only 3 million (a 9.4 advantage to Texas.....   and Texas encompasses 268,820 square miles of land, whereas Arkansas encompasses only 53,179 square miles of land (a 5.0 advantage to Texas).....   simply put, we (Arkansas) can take any advantage of Texas that we want, without feeling PC guilty.....   sheesh, y’all can get this I think.....

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian

You must have decided that you don’t like it on here. You’re probably on very thin ice.

goodguytex

• Gold Hogvillian

What the Razorbacks need are long term stability at the top. Not mediocre stability either. OU did things right... Post Barry Switzer and their NCAA troubles, their football program wasn't exactly in a great place. But they made the right hire in their football program. They've upgraded facilities some, hit the state of Texas hard in recruiting. But their leadership of their football program has been about as strong and stable as a program could hope for.

Arkansas and Oklahoma are very similar in population, income, Arkansas may be ahead a little in education standards. What Oklahoma has done, Arkansas can do too. I think Long thought he was doing that with the hire of bielema, who had a stellar record at a major college program, and believed in player development.

Little did he know bielema benefitted from a second tier conference and a system that was built for success when he got there. Bielema proved unable to build anything.

The hope is Morriss can do successfully what bielema couldn't, and build a successful program, with long term, maintained success and player development. He seems to run similar type of offensive system to what heupel runs at OU. And Morriss has recruiting ties to Texas, which OU also heavily relies on for blue Chip talent. What's unknown is if Morriss has the ability to elevate recruiting even more than bielema did, who was a good recruiter, and build a program with sustained success and player development over the long haul.

His record as a college HC is just not a very long one to know. It's rolling the dice a little. But we will see soon enough.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian

If he grew up in Arkansas and does not want to be a Razorback then get the heck out of my state, we don't want you. I don't care who the player is. DeAngelo Williams, Keith Jackson, it doesn't matter. We don't need you unless you are sold on being a Hog for life.

Jackson’s son played for the Hogs. What IF his son under your scenario had went somewhere else and won a NC and went on to a pro career. What if he had helped us do that. I doubt you would still feel the same.

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian

WHY?

liljo

Arkansas has 269 school districts; Tennessee, for example, has 137. Yet, Tennessee serves more than twice as many students. And the teacher-student ratio is 1:14 for Arkansas, and 1:15 for Tennessee (almost identical). The fact is, Arkansas spends much more on superintendents and staff than on faculty and students. Always has.

What does this have to do with the original post? Nothing. But it's no more off the rails than several other posts here so I thought I'd throw it on here anyway.

******************************************************************************************************

To the OP: No, I don't get bitter towards an 18-year old kid that chooses another school. For all I know, he picked that school over a girl he met while visiting. Who knows why an 18-year old kid does ANYTHING. At the same time, I don't get mad at the coaching staff because they were unable to get the kid to Arkansas. I'm fair to certain they do all they can to recruit the best Arkansas players, but there really is only so much they can do.

Now, I DO get disappointed. Highly disappointed! I want the Hogs to win, and to have a great program before my time here is past. May never happen again, but if it does, it'll be in large part because the very best players in the state of Arkansas choose to go to Fayetteville and do their part to turn things around.

Youngsta71701

I didn't realize Trey Flowers, Alex Collins and Jonathan Williams still played for the Hogs.
Lol good one...my bad...I was referring to Froholdt, Harris, Greenlaw, Whaley, and Hayden.

Youngsta71701

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

"Semifinalists for the Bednarik Award will be announced November 3, 2014, while the three finalists will be unveiled November 24, 2014. The winner will be announced as part of the Home Depot College Football Awards Show held on December 11, 2014."
Lol...see above post.

Vantage 8 dude

Being Arkansas born and bred, an alum of the Hill and obviously a HUGE Hog fan I would like to think that every young person would want to eat, sleep, breathe and bleed Razorback red. However, I also realize that's not necessarily the case with some kids. Yes, no doubt we need to do everything at within our powers to convince any/all SEC-caliber athlete in the state to stay a home. Unfortunately it's NOT going to always happen. Therefore the only time I will NOT root for such a young person is IF and when they might end up playing against the Hogs.

LRhawg926

• Senior

Not really bitter but more sad that for whatever reason they don't have that deep love for our home state team. One of my good friends from high school lives in El Dorado now and his kid who is in junior high is openly a LSU fan. I asked the kid why do you root for LSU, Arkansas is your home. His simple answer, the Razorbacks just aren't very good. It's tough to convince kids with all the talent in the world to want to stay home when you got guys like Saban wearing championship rings and handing out keys to brand new Dodge Challengers. I am very grateful for the guys like McFadden who could have went anywhere but chose to stay home.

There's a lot of LSU fans down here. We are close to the border. Baton Rouge is about the same distance as Fayetteville.

PharmacistHog

• Global Moderator
  • Gameday Goon

I'm good as long as they don't do something to insult or disrespect the state.  Monk's throat slash during the Kentucky game was the worst.  I just can't root for a guy like that. 

#1 STUNNA

dissapointed..yes.... bitter only if they handle it the wrong way...

Swestwill66

• Senior

The first recruit I remember, that went somewhere else, was Basil Shabazz. I don't even recall where he went. It seems like he ended up at UAPB. I know we have "lost" some good ones. We have gotten some good ones from other states that wanted to be Razorbacks, though.
  There is no reason to be bitter. I would rather a player from another state come here and play his heart out than an in state kid that thinks he was supposed to come here but wanted to go somewhere else .
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas