• 10,016,213 Posts
• 401,480 Topics
• 22,977 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Are you the type of fan that gets bitter when an instate recruit goes elsewhere?  (Read 4303 times)

Sweet Feet

• Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net

It seems to be pretty common here. Especially when that instate recruit is successful elsewhere.

RyanMallettsEgo

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Take it easy, I'm pre-law.

No, I can't say I wake up in the morning and go to bed at night bitter about where an 18-year-old decides to go play football.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

tusked

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Clapton is god....but SRV was the big bang!

I'm trying to think of the last instate recruit that went elsewhere and made all conference, in any P5 conference.

CPO Hog

• Senior

A little disappointed yes. Bitter no.

SPAL

• Administrator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • I like Big Mike and I cannot lie

No. Not in the least.

Rocket23

Donít like it, but I donít get bitter.  Only a few have went elsewhere and excelled (not counting transfers that went here first).  DeAngelo Williams, Cedric Houston, and Leslie Ratliff as of late, excelled... some success for Brett Smith, KJ so far at Ohio State, and maybe Frazier will break out this year at Alabama.  What I can think of off the top of my head.

HawgHawk

• Bench Warmer

Not at all. With that said, I don't pay any attention to said recruit anymore. Kind of like I never heard of them if they don't play for the Hogs.

RyanMallettsEgo

Donít like it, but I donít get bitter.  Only a few have went elsewhere and excelled (not counting transfers that went here first).  DeAngelo Williams, Cedric Houston, and Leslie Ratliff as of late, excelled... some success for Brett Smith, KJ so far at Ohio State, and maybe Frazier will break out this year at Alabama.  What I can think of off the top of my head.

Frazier was drafted in the 7th round this year by the Steelers

JoeHawg

• Bench Warmer
  • Date Registered: August 21, 2003, 06:44:01 am

While I would prefer that the better instate recruits come to U of A I wish them well and I hope if we play their team we win.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!

It seems to be pretty common here. Especially when that instate recruit is successful elsewhere.

I think most are bitter when they donít believe the recruit has handled things a good way. If they get any hint the Hogs are not getting respected or the recruit says something that can be construed as disrespectful then yes bitterness is a possibility. It all depends on how the recruit handles things or what they say or do. There have only been a couple of recruits since weíve joined the SEC that went out of state Iím not happy over. One in football and one in basketball.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 08:40:47 pm by Inhogswetrust »

HogPharmer

This would be a whole different set of answers in Jump Ball.

I think it just hurts a little bit more when we miss out on an in-state kid who then comes to town and puts on a clinic against us. That basketball player who went to Florida seemed to always have his best games against us when we played them. Sorry, I donít follow basketball enough to remember his name.

But as for football, I would say itís not as big a deal because youíve got 21 other positions to fill (instead of only 4 on the court, as with basketball).

pigture perfect

Honestly it all depends on the situation. Usually not, but in the situation with Michael Dyer, and the Monk brothers I have to say I was and still am a bit.

31to6

I was not an athlete and I eventually ended up on the Hill (after a couple other stops..). But as a HS senior I was *eager* to go experience someplace new. I wanted to leave the state to go to college and never seriously considered UA or any other school (nothing to do with "quality").

So no, some HS players just want to go someplace new. Some in-state players are not deeply rooted to the state and may in fact be fans of other programs. Some may be swayed by 'business decisions' or a program they see as a better fit or just plain better.

I do get frustrated when we cannot land the lion's share of the SEC players in-state because that is our only path to competitiveness. I think 7 or 8 of the top 10 is a reasonable measuring stick over time (in years when there are 10 SEC-caliber players in the class...). No coach has ever gotten them all and none of them will.

And it's not the kids fault. It is their life to live.

HogPharmer

Honestly it all depends on the situation. Usually not, but in the situation with Michael Dyer, and the Monk brothers I have to say I was and still am a bit.

Michael Dyer proved exactly why Iím glad he never became a hog. He had all the talent in the world but was a thug. He was the true representation of what Auburn football is. Iím glad he went there.

TexasRazorback

• Senior

Nope, Would love for the best in-state talent to stay home but if they dont want to play for the hogs im ok with it. Everyone needs to make the best decision that feel is right for both them and their family.

rhames

BigSexyHog

Yes and No.

HeathWimp

• AKA "Frank's Slap Rendition Camp"

Marcus Monk is a punk, and should have all of his stats removed from the official record.  Yeah, I'm bitter about him.

Sed76

• Hogvillian

Not really bitter but more sad that for whatever reason they don't have that deep love for our home state team. One of my good friends from high school lives in El Dorado now and his kid who is in junior high is openly a LSU fan. I asked the kid why do you root for LSU, Arkansas is your home. His simple answer, the Razorbacks just aren't very good. It's tough to convince kids with all the talent in the world to want to stay home when you got guys like Saban wearing championship rings and handing out keys to brand new Dodge Challengers. I am very grateful for the guys like McFadden who could have went anywhere but chose to stay home.

AirWarren

• Football impotence of the Midwest

I graduated with Bret smith and Roshaun fellows. I remember it clear as day when they put the Tennessee hat on their head at our school.

It is what it is. The kid has to do whatís best for them.

Elvis P Hogg

• Bench Warmer

I certainly am disappointed, but I don't root against them. The more successful players from Arkansas the better the perception of the state as a whole and some kids who might get overlooked get a shot at playing college football and an opportunity for an education that might not be there otherwise

FineAsSwine

I don't get bitter, just a little salty and a lot depends on how high profile the recruit is/was. Usually it stings for an hour or two and then I'm over it. In Monk's case, it took me a couple of weeks though because of the perception, whether true or not,  that there was some shady goings on. Plus, he went to Kensucky which was an added twist of the knife.

Reggie Perry wasn't really an instate recruit but I'm still salty over that one bc of the likely Adidas interference. I'll hold a grudge on that one for years to come.

hogfan14

Only time I get "bitter" is when they say stuff like they'll be repping Arkansas at another school and still love Arkansas. Why would you say that when you're going to have another state's name across your chest? Doesn't make sense to me. It's like talking about how patriotic you are and then rooting against the USA in the Olympics.

bphi11ips

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I need help with my footwork, too.

I certainly am disappointed, but I don't root against them. The more successful players from Arkansas the better the perception of the state as a whole and some kids who might get overlooked get a shot at playing college football and an opportunity for an education that might not be there otherwise

I pull for Arkansans everywhere in all things except in head-to-head competition or in something that compromises my own interest, e.g., where an Arkansas native is intrumental in a game we need his team to lose.  Everything has context.  The exceptions to those rules are Michael Dyer and Malik Monk, but only because they peed down our legs on the way out the door. That's good riddance, not bitterness. 

Hoggiedawg

I hate it when we miss out on good talent, but the pool is pretty deep across the country and we just have to move on and hope for another catch.

phadedhawg

I guess it depends on the circumstances.  If a kid is upfront about the situation and decides to take his talent elsewhere, I wish him the best.  If it drags it out in order to enjoy the buzz of Razorback nation while in high school, I feel disappointed. 

But kids are kids and expecting them to act like mature adults (when most adults aren't mature) seems foolish. 

If their last name is Monk though...all bets are off :)

RyanMallettsEgo

Going back to 2015 and looking at recruits we "lost" and where they are today:

KJ Hill: Listed as #2 H-back for Ohio State

Damarea Crockett: 1,000+ rushing yards freshman year, played in 6 games last year. Listed as the -OR- RB at Mizzou

Akial Byers: Listed as the backup -OR- DE at Mizzou

Gerry Bohanon: Listed as backup QB at Baylor

Luke Jones: Listed as 4th string center at Notre Dame

Sean Michael Flanagan: Listed as backup safety/nickel at Oklahoma State

FineAsSwine

If DMAC had chosen to go to Ole Miss or TAM and he had the success he had there that he did for the Hogs, yeah it would hurt for awhile. Took me a while to get over Keith Jackson going to Oklahoma. Even after he left there and started tearing it up in the pros, I still took a while to get behind him.

razorbackfaninar

• Senior

I consider myself a rational person, and I know all the reasons why I shouldn't care.  Now I'd never go so far as to contact them on social media yell at them at a HS sporting event etc, but I'd be lying if I said I don't feel a little bit of a sting particularly when they go to a rival.

nchogg

• Senior

Not really. I don't like it when they do but it's not my decision or future at stake. I don't get mad I want them to have all the success possible. It's up to the recruit.

TNhawgfan

• Jimmy G - A New Hope!

I only get mad if they do something stupid like say it was a business decision or say F Arkansas in a social media video. If a guy chooses to go somewhere else and doesn't make it a production, like Allen at Florida in bball, it doesn't bother me

Elvis P Hogg

• Bench Warmer

I pull for Arkansans everywhere in all things except in head-to-head competition or in something that compromises my own interest, e.g., where an Arkansas native is intrumental in a game we need his team to lose.  Everything has context.  The exceptions to those rules are Michael Dyer and Malik Monk, but only because they peed down our legs on the way out the door. That's good riddance, not bitterness.

Agreed
I was thinking of a Kenneth Dixion or Crockett type that was not going to play here anyway or Someone who clearly can go to an elite school and chooses to do so to better himself/or family.

factchecker

• RAZORBACKS OR NOTHING!

Damarea Crockett: 1,000+ rushing yards freshman year, played in 6 games last year. Listed as the -OR- RB at Mizzou
In hindsight - the biggest recruiting mistake in the Bielema era.  We lost Crockett because we didn't offer.

DLUXHOG

• It'll feel better when it quits hurtin'

Were any of you bitter when Bear Bryant went to Alabama to coach, or when Barry Switzer went to Oklahoma and coached?   Both were Arkansas born & raised and both had great success....   just askiní

Biggus Piggus

• Escaped Journalist
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville: The mosh pit of Razorbackland

Going back to 2015 and looking at recruits we "lost" and where they are today:

KJ Hill: Listed as #2 H-back for Ohio State

Akial Byers: Listed as the backup -OR- DE at Mizzou

Gerry Bohanon: Listed as backup QB at Baylor

Luke Jones: Listed as 4th string center at Notre Dame

Sean Michael Flanagan: Listed as backup safety/nickel at Oklahoma State

Arkansas didn't "lose" Crockett. We didn't offer him.

factchecker

• RAZORBACKS OR NOTHING!

Were any of you bitter when Bear Bryant went to Alabama to coach, or when Barry Switzer went to Oklahoma and coached?   Both were Arkansas born & raised and both had great success....   just askiní
Bryant went back to his alma mater to coach.  Switzer was a Razorback but I'm not sure if he was ever considered here as coach.

RyanMallettsEgo

Arkansas didn't "lose" Crockett. We didn't offer him.

I know. That's why I put lost in quotations.

People were up in arms around it around here and lost their minds so figured I'd include him.

DLUXHOG

• It'll feel better when it quits hurtin'

Bryant went back to his alma mater to coach.  Switzer was a Razorback but I'm not sure if he was ever considered here as coach.

WHAT??  Both of these men won more NCAA championships between the both of them than any other tandem, both are ARKANSAS NATIVES, and Arkansas didn't pursue them?   hooooboy!

factchecker

• RAZORBACKS OR NOTHING!

Arkansas didn't pursue them?
Bryant almost coached here:
ďI had tried to get the Arkansas job in 1941. It was coming up vacant, and a friend of Bill Dickeyís family introduced me to him. Bill had influence in Arkansas, there was no doubt about that. He had just gotten home from the World Series, and I called and we talked, and he offered to see Governor Homer Adkins for me. I went over and we both saw him. Bill suggested we see him again. And we went back a couple times more.

"On my way back to Vanderbilt I knew the job was mine. That was the indication I had. I was 28 years old and couldnít have been more filled with myself. I wanted to be a head coach, and Arkansas was my home. This was Sunday, December 7. The announcement came over the radio while I was driving into Nashville that Japanese warplanes had bombed Pearl Harbor.

"About all I had time to do when I got home was kiss Mary Harmon hello and good-bye. The next day I was in Washington, D.C., and shortly after I was in the U.S. Navy.Ē

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2015/oct/09/bear-bryant-almost-razorback/

ChitownHawg

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Be Hawgin it since 1960

Not bitter at all. Each of us has to make decisions every day. Where a kid chooses to go to school isn't worth the time to get angry.

IronMountainHog

• Hogvillian
  • ďIt ainít Arkan, itís Arkansas baby!!Ē -DMAC 2007

The one that really irritated me was KJ Hill. It wasnít because he went to Ohio, it was how he and his family handled it. The big press conference at the Arkansas SportsHOF with KATV reporting live from the scene. The picture of him posing with Cainan Sandy,
all the balloons and bs. He was never coming here and we all know it. And then all the shady stuff out of his stepdad. I hope he continues to get sparse playing time up there.

Hawgphat

I'm able to be pretty philosophical about such in-state defections.  As far as I'm concerned, if they are not 100% sold on being a Razorback, - if it has not been a longstanding dream of theirs - - -  then goodbye and good riddance.

If they don't want to be at Arkansas, then I don't want them to be at Arkansas.

AugustaHog

This.  I could care less if somebody goes out of state and handles things with class.  So be it.  Wish they all wanted to be Hogs, but some don't.  Those two instances were not handled terribly classy and in Monk's case was particularly suspicious with the whole "business decision" crap.

HogBreath

Yeah I was so upset the nite I heard about Bryant going to Bama, I just went and turned the danged radio off.

Dark Helmet Hog

• Now let's see how well you handle it...

Not bitter at all but they become irrelevant pretty much immediately.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!

Yeah I was so upset the nite I heard about Bryant going to Bama, I just went and turned the danged radio off.

Radio? Donít you mean Telegraph..........

Boardon Hamsay

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Eponymous Keeper of the War Damn Mockingbird Unis

The day I let the decision making process of an 18 yr old that isnít mine determine my outlook on life is the day I need to be whipped with a rubber hose in the groin.

flagstaffhog

No. Not everyone is cut out to be a Hog.

hawgmasta

• Hogvillian
  • I have to return some videotapes.

No Iím a grown man who can separate his feelings and root for the kids .  .

Just kidding

Hell yeah Iím bitter.

TuckerHog

• Bench Warmer

If he grew up in Arkansas and does not want to be a Razorback then get the heck out of my state, we don't want you. I don't care who the player is. DeAngelo Williams, Keith Jackson, it doesn't matter. We don't need you unless you are sold on being a Hog for life.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas