• 9,931,383 Posts
• 399,380 Topics
• 22,894 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Macon has set himself up..  (Read 2948 times)

Swinesong1

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Macon has set himself up..
« on: July 14, 2018, 09:45:19 pm »

for at least a 50k check.  Supposedly has overseas offers too.  One
paying 225k.

alohawg

Re: Macon has set himself up..
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2018, 01:34:49 am »

A couple years overseas could set him up for millions in the league. He can play next level for sure.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

hogwood

• Hogvillian
  • Just Chillin' Like A Villain
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2018, 09:55:48 am »

for at least a 50k check.  Supposedly has overseas offers too.  One
paying 225k.

How? What happened? Can I also set myself up to receive these checks? I will give you my routing number.

Hawg Red

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2018, 01:20:12 pm »

A couple years overseas could set him up for millions in the league. He can play next level for sure.

That's not generally how it happens. Most guys that go overseas don't typically make it back, even the ones that started out in the NBA. His best shot at sticking in the NBA is to go the G-League route for a few years (gonna be less money unless he makes it to the NBA), and then cut bait and go overseas if unsuccessful. Going overseas first is not generally the path to the NBA for an undrafted player.

k.c.hawg

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2018, 01:41:42 pm »

G League contracts are now set at $35k or $7k a month for 5 months. They are not guaranteed. (There will be guys on guaranteed NBA contracts that make more.)  Some guys will have to decide if they are willing to sacrifice some financial comfort for their best opportunity to showcase themselves to the NBA. Macon could most likely make considerably more money going overseas. $35k for 5 months is certainly better conditions than guys trying to make it to MLB from a low draft status.

I think we will also have to start looking at the G league in a different light. The NBA is fully vested into using it to it's potential as a developmental league.

ricolacey

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2018, 08:05:38 pm »

That's not generally how it happens. Most guys that go overseas don't typically make it back, even the ones that started out in the NBA. His best shot at sticking in the NBA is to go the G-League route for a few years (gonna be less money unless he makes it to the NBA), and then cut bait and go overseas if unsuccessful. Going overseas first is not generally the path to the NBA for an undrafted player.

Response: that's not entirely true one of our own P Beverly went that way via the Ukraine  I believe for 5yrs before landing in Houston and traded to Los Angeles clippers last season

Swinesong1

• All-American Hogvillian
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2018, 01:08:09 pm »

Signed with Mavs

Hawg Red

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2018, 01:58:48 pm »

Response: that's not entirely true one of our own P Beverly went that way via the Ukraine  I believe for 5yrs before landing in Houston and traded to Los Angeles clippers last season

It is absolutely entirely true that **generally** players do not go overseas and then make a nice career in the NBA. You only proved my point with suvivorship bias.

My use of the words "generally" and "typically" clearly allowed for the odd case, as it should go without saying that there are exceptions to every rule. But you'll find that the overwhelming majority of 2nd-round or undrafted players that go overseas don't ever make it back stateside to play in the NBA, let alone "set up for millions in the league." Beverley may actually be the lone case of this exception currently in the NBA.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas