• 9,977,527 Posts
• 400,468 Topics
• 22,947 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: A Bielema story  (Read 10146 times)

Biggus Piggus

• Escaped Journalist
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville: The mosh pit of Razorbackland
A Bielema story
« on: July 13, 2018, 05:56:32 pm »

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/bret-bielema-is-enjoying-the-nfl-so-much-he-may-never-go-back-to-college-football/

Two things:

1. Dennis Dodd keeps up the "fired as he walked off the field" myth.
2. Bielema claims Paul Chryst "kept the same formula" at Wisconsin, while the Badgers after Bielema have been significantly better than they were with him.

HogPharmer

Re: A Bielema story
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2018, 05:58:02 pm »

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/bret-bielema-is-enjoying-the-nfl-so-much-he-may-never-go-back-to-college-football/

Two things:

2. Bielema claims Paul Chryst "kept the same formula" at Wisconsin, while the Badgers after Bielema have been significantly better than they were with him.

Is "kept the same formula" just another way of still saying Barry Alvarez is still in charge?

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

TuckerHog

• Bench Warmer
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2018, 05:58:48 pm »

He was fired before the game started.

TuckerHog

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2018, 06:00:19 pm »

Two things:

I am sure he can help Tom Brady improve. 

sounds like bullcorn to me
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 06:31:27 pm by TuckerHog »

b501

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2018, 06:02:47 pm »

what a disgrace

Iwastherein1969

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Seven of Nine says '69 is closer to 9 than to 7
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2018, 06:05:50 pm »

Ya gotta know that #12 thanks God each night for his golden right arm, his drop-dead gorgeous wife, his children and now Bert.

ad: By the way, does anyone know if Bert is under 5 bills yet on the scales ? He was well on his way for qualifying for TLC's mega hit television show, "My 600 Pound Life" during the last part of his tenure as coach of the Hogs.

HoggusMaximus

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2018, 06:05:52 pm »

Let it go

TuckerHog

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2018, 06:37:57 pm »

Ya gotta know that #12 thanks God each night for his golden right arm, his drop-dead gorgeous wife, his children and now Bert.

ad: By the way, does anyone know if Bert is under 5 bills yet on the scales ? He was well on his way for qualifying for TLC's mega hit television show, "My 600 Pound Life" during the last part of his tenure as coach of the Hogs.

I heard he lost about 70 pounds, not sure if someone loped his head off or what, that still might not get him under 500.  I bought one of his used  wind breakers and made a nice tent out of it.

Großer Kriegschwein

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Is it football season yet?
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2018, 06:38:21 pm »

I heard he lost about 70 pounds, not sure if someone loped his head off or what, that still might not get him under 500.  I bought one of his used  wind breakers and made a nice tent out of it.

hardee har

TuckerHog

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2018, 06:45:16 pm »

It's great, sleeps 8

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2018, 09:23:02 pm »

He can say some stupid stuff. “Once they go to that level they never go back”. I think he forgot about a few. Nick Sabin, Jim Harbaugh, Lou Holtz and Bobby Petrino went back. Two to Arkansas no less. He himself also hired some assistants from the pros.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 06:18:57 pm by Inhogswetrust »

bennyl08

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Ever since the war I've had a drinking problem
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2018, 10:08:23 pm »

What a worthless fat Frank.  Stole millions, by delivering nothing.  Article reads as a PR piece by dudds.

Was hired coming off of three straight power 5 conference championships. Gave us three straight bowl wins and more NFL talent in a stretch than any other coach here.

He under performed and certainly earned his unceremonious firing, but to say that he was a worthless thief that delivered nothing is acting like a scorned sore loser.

FineAsSwine

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Hogville think tank
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2018, 10:15:45 pm »

The Patriots don't coddle worthless losers. Bielema is a good coach who had a bad stint at a tough place to win, especially win big. His style could have worked here, if he had the horses. I wish him well.

Hoggiedawg

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2018, 10:18:38 pm »

Was hired coming off of three straight power 5 conference championships. Gave us three straight bowl wins and more NFL talent in a stretch than any other coach here.

He under performed and certainly earned his unceremonious firing, but to say that he was a worthless thief that delivered nothing is acting like a scorned sore loser.

His P5 record before coming to Arkansas gave us nothing.

He didn't win 3 straight bowls at Arkansas.

How much of that NFL talent was here when he arrived and how did "all" of the NFL talent help the football team?

However, he did give us something we've never had before. He gave us a terrible record over a 5 year period. He gave us the worst D we've ever had.

Try again.

HogBreath

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2018, 10:32:32 pm »

How much of that NFL talent was here when he arrived and how did "all" of the NFL talent help the football team?

However, he did give us something we've never had before. He gave us a terrible record over a 5 year period. He gave us the worst D we've ever had.

Try again.

Exactly...Bert sucked big time...couldn't coach his way out of a wet paper sack.

SooieGeneris

• Senior
  • You don't ever want to be chasin' speed..
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2018, 01:00:05 am »

"You go to work at 6AM and leave at 9 pm, and it's nothing but football" in the NFL the Genius said.

Wait until contract holdouts, players suspended for violating the PED policy, allegations of domestic abuse, etc.

Yes, I realize as an assistant, Bert won't have to deal with those issues directly, that will be Belichick and Kraft's bailiwick, but it will affect the product on the field.

Oh, yes. another quote: "I was watching a drill and Holy Cow! these guys are good!" Duh! You don't get anything past his guy, huh?

Problem is, everyone in the NFL, even Cleveland has the same type of players.. there are no directional schools to use as tackling dummies in 1/3 of the games, the talent is pretty even.

The Patriots had a major controversy last season concerning the Brady personal trainer telling players he works with to do things his way instead of the team trainer's way.

Jacksonville and a few other teams in the AFC are younger and more talented than the Pats, the big difference is QB... how much longer can Brady go? Then what with Garrapolo in SF, who is next man up?

Patricia is gone, McDaniels seems to be holding on until Belichick retires.. Bert on the staff could just be what the rest of the AFC needs to catch up with or pass the Pats..

and Christ kept HIS system? Right. It couldn't be more apparent that Alvarez is the man behind the curtain at WI. What an egotistical, self-promoting gasbag!

moses_007

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Bring the Wood!
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2018, 01:28:33 am »

Jeff Long needs to write Bielema a hand written letter, so the two would be together again at KU.

LZH

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Tight but Loose
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2018, 04:22:03 am »

"When you gone, you stay gone...."

Kevin

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Trust in the Lord with all your heart
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2018, 05:03:00 am »

all hat, no cattle.

one of the worst hires ever.

nchogg

• Senior
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2018, 07:51:20 am »

He can say some stupid stuff. “Once they go to that level they never go back”. I think he forgot about a few. Nick Sabin, Lou zholtz and Bobby Petrino went back. Two to Arkansas no less. He also hired some assistants from the pros.
Inhog I was thinking the same thing. And his comment about NFL is football only contradicts what he said about interaction with players on the college level. He does have the tendency to brag "I didn't come here to play Alabama, I come here to beat Alabama". Oh well!

Dark Helmet Hog

• Now let's see how well you handle it...
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2018, 07:56:47 am »

He can say some stupid stuff. “Once they go to that level they never go back”. I think he forgot about a few. Nick Sabin, Lou zholtz and Bobby Petrino went back. Two to Arkansas no less. He also hired some assistants from the pros.

Maybe he had thrown a few back before the interview and those guys slipped his mind.

Uberanubis

BB in the NFl
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2018, 09:12:52 am »

found this article and had me wondering, Do you think BB would be a good coach in the nfl with his coaching style?

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/m/c0eb396e-0f2b-35ad-be1a-8bb33b22d84d/ss_bret-bielema-is-enjoying-the.html

luke hawg

Re: BB in the NFl
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2018, 09:21:13 am »

I hope it works out for him. He did a lot of things well in regards to program management just not a good fit for athletes available given his preferred style of play. I hope we can maintain the low attrition, improved academics, and low arrest while implementing a game plan more conducive to our success. Morris seems to value the same things off the field.

King Kong

« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2018, 09:57:27 am »

I hope they pay him very well. To reduce what the Razorback foundation is paying him

hawgsawjimdugan

« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2018, 10:22:35 am »

I hope it works out for him. He did a lot of things well in regards to program management just not a good fit for athletes available given his preferred style of play. I hope we can maintain the low attrition, improved academics, and low arrest while implementing a game plan more conducive to our success. Morris seems to value the same things off the field.

I mean no disrespect, but man I get tired of seeing excuses made for Bret’s performance here as head hog.  Including his buyout, Arkansas shelled out 30mill for 11 SEC wins in five years. The guy dug us a hole of 29 conference losses that will take a boatload of time to reverse.  A good coach works tirelessly to find ways to compete.  Bret hung around the complex in flip flops and swim trunks all day, and for the most part of his tenure his teams played the same way.  Don’t get me wrong, he seemed like a great guy to knock back some beers with, but he had a big stage job to do, and he didn’t give full effort.  Period.

Wish him well, but thankfully that chapter is closed and it will be exciting to see what Morris can do. 

Go Hogs!

3kgthog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Don't PM me. I never read them.
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2018, 10:57:31 am »

I would not be surprised to see him end up at KU eventually.

HeathWimp

• All-American Hogvillian
  • AKA "Frank's Slap Rendition Camp"
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2018, 11:28:40 am »

I mean no disrespect, but man I get tired of seeing excuses made for Bret’s performance here as head hog.  Including his buyout, Arkansas shelled out 30mill for 11 SEC wins in five years. The guy dug us a hole of 29 conference losses that will take a boatload of time to reverse.  A good coach works tirelessly to find ways to compete.  Bret hung around the complex in flip flops and swim trunks all day, and for the most part of his tenure his teams played the same way.  Don’t get me wrong, he seemed like a great guy to knock back some beers with, but he had a big stage job to do, and he didn’t give full effort.  Period.

Wish him well, but thankfully that chapter is closed and it will be exciting to see what Morris can do. 

Go Hogs!

Totally agree with that.  People hate on Bobby for the Harley, but there was no doubting his work ethic.  The only thing Bert worked hard at was patronizing Ben's Apartment enough to keep it open.

luke hawg

« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2018, 11:29:55 am »

Go Hogs!

It won't take a year to dig us out of this "hole". The schedule is light and there is plenty of talent to manage it. Bielema's scheme and S&C philosophy was a bust at Arkansas. Morris is in a perfect situation to blow up if he can develop Kelly.

jkstock04

« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2018, 11:52:37 am »

found this article and had me wondering, Do you think BB would be a good coach in the nfl with his coaching style?

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/m/c0eb396e-0f2b-35ad-be1a-8bb33b22d84d/ss_bret-bielema-is-enjoying-the.html
Absolutely, I think he's a shoe in to take over for Belichick whenever he decides to hang em up.

bkjbearcat

• Senior
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2018, 11:56:22 am »

And I'm sure BB will put his foot in his mouth and alienate every HS coach in KS, MO, NE and IA like he did TX.

Boog41

« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2018, 12:47:18 pm »

I don’t see Long rehiring the guy that has already gotten him (Long) fired once.

WizardofhOgZ

« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2018, 12:49:04 pm »

Hoggish1

« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2018, 01:18:26 pm »

Is "kept the same formula" just another way of still saying Barry Alvarez is still in charge?

Rhetorical question?  LOL

Hawgphat

« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2018, 01:30:04 pm »

I don’t see Long rehiring the guy that has already gotten him (Long) fired once.

Nope.  Most men are not prone to cut off their pride and joy because their shorts fit too tightly.  It seems to make quite a bit more sense to simply buy larger shorts.

I wouldn't think that Long would want to have anything more to do with Bielema.

bennyl08

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2018, 02:15:17 pm »

Nothing happens in a vacuum. How much money would you pay to hire Nick Saban right now? His record at Bama and LSU mean nothing to what he would do at Arkansas, but I'd bet you be tripping over yourself to bring him in. Would you recommend paying Saban <1 million a year until he wins a natty here? No, because you'd never get him to come in the first place.

You are absolutely right here. I meant to type appearances knowing that we only won 2 out of the three bowl games.

Very little of it was here when he arrived. Swanson, Hocker, Chris Smith, and maybe Tevin Mitchel were the only guys who were draftable players before Bielema came here. The large majority of the players in the NFL from the Bielema ere were recruited by him, even more were developed by him for the majority of their career.

I mean, would you give credit to Nutt for sending DJ Williams to the NFL, or do you think Petrino had more to do with it? How about Jake Bequette?

Try again.

We've had much, much worse records over 5 years before. Also, no, that wasn't the worst defense the hogs have ever had. There is one somewhat obscure stat in rushing td's given up that we set a record low for. But that's about as useful as saying he gave us the best offense we ever had because of the number of OL td's scored.

You act like I'm saying he's the best coach we ever had. I'm well on the record of saying if we didn't win a minimum of 9 games last season, I'd want him fired and even Long publicly called Bielema out before the season started saying he'd be gone if he didn't win more. However, acting like he's the worst coach or a scum bag just makes you look like an impotent child. Don't me such an emotional snowflake getting triggered and melting at the mere mention of Bielema. Be a rational, logical adult.

LRrazorback

« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2018, 02:31:46 pm »

Nothing happens in a vacuum. How much money would you pay to hire Nick Saban right now? His record at Bama and LSU mean nothing to what he would do at Arkansas, but I'd bet you be tripping over yourself to bring him in. Would you recommend paying Saban <1 million a year until he wins a natty here? No, because you'd never get him to come in the first place.

You are absolutely right here. I meant to type appearances knowing that we only won 2 out of the three bowl games.

Very little of it was here when he arrived. Swanson, Hocker, Chris Smith, and maybe Tevin Mitchel were the only guys who were draftable players before Bielema came here. The large majority of the players in the NFL from the Bielema ere were recruited by him, even more were developed by him for the majority of their career.

I mean, would you give credit to Nutt for sending DJ Williams to the NFL, or do you think Petrino had more to do with it? How about Jake Bequette?

We've had much, much worse records over 5 years before. Also, no, that wasn't the worst defense the hogs have ever had. There is one somewhat obscure stat in rushing td's given up that we set a record low for. But that's about as useful as saying he gave us the best offense we ever had because of the number of OL td's scored.

You act like I'm saying he's the best coach we ever had. I'm well on the record of saying if we didn't win a minimum of 9 games last season, I'd want him fired and even Long publicly called Bielema out before the season started saying he'd be gone if he didn't win more. However, acting like he's the worst coach or a scum bag just makes you look like an impotent child. Don't me such an emotional snowflake getting triggered and melting at the mere mention of Bielema. Be a rational, logical adult.

Benny, or should I say Bret.
You're not going to do this again?  I've corrected you numerous times on this subject.
First off, I think it's funny how you defend and justify a horrible coach, yet smear a good coach.
And next, to the NFL talent CBB inherited. HE INHERITED MORE NFL TALENT (10/11) THAN ANY COACH IN ARKANSAS HISTORY!!  I've told you this numerous times and you still don't get it.

bennyl08

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2018, 02:52:10 pm »

Benny, or should I say Bret.
You're not going to do this again?  I've corrected you numerous times on this subject.
First off, I think it's funny how you defend and justify a horrible coach, yet smear a good coach.
And next, to the NFL talent CBB inherited. HE INHERITED MORE NFL TALENT THAN ANY COACH IN ARKANSAS HISTORY!!  I've told you this numerous times and you still don't get it.

No, you really haven't. But sure, saying a coach deserved and needed to be fired is "defending him" in your book. I still don't know what good coach you think I'm smearing? Nutt? Because most people consider me a Petrino Hugger so if you think I'm smearing Petrino, then dear god, what do you think about the rest of the fan base who think less of him than I do?

Morris just inherited more NFL talent than Brett did so you've already lost out on that. Petrino brought in his own offensive skill position players, but the majority of his OL came from Nutt. As for defense, the core of Petrino's defenses were also Nutt players. Of the 11 players that went on to be drafted for Bielema that were recruited before he got here, only 6 of them ever experienced a game with Petrino as coach. Two of them never were never even students at the same time he was the HC. And four of the players were only here for a single season.

I don't know why you get so upset and flabbergasted by all of this. Nutt inherited a great team, and left Petrino with a mildling team. Petrino left at the same time most of his talent did, and that was then compounded by a year under Smiley, leaving Brett with one of the shallowest teams in terms of depth over at least the past 30 years. Bielema added depth and talent to the roster but couldn't effectively use any of it to save his life, so now we've brought in somebody who is supposed to be just that.

LRrazorback

« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2018, 03:06:29 pm »

How has CCM inherited more NFL talent when he hasn't been here?  You're assuming he has, we'll see over the next 5 NFL drafts.
I guess I'm not understanding your point.  I understand things can get lost through translation over the internet but,...

Here's the breakdown:

NFL inherited players
HDN-9
CBP- 4
CBB-10/11, one I'm unsure about
CCM-?

CBB had the deck stacked in his favor and blew it.
CCM isn't the coach CBP is but he'll be successful here because he's a good coach but has a long ways to go to get our talent back to middle of the pack.

hogman64

• GO HOGS
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2018, 04:16:00 pm »

throw out J L Smith and BB was by far  the worst Arkansas head football coach in  at least 60+ years.. that should be all you need to  know .  it  shows a lot more about his worth as a head college football coach than his years as Alvarez's front man.

hawgsawjimdugan

« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2018, 04:20:57 pm »

It won't take a year to dig us out of this "hole". The schedule is light and there is plenty of talent to manage it. Bielema's scheme and S&C philosophy was a bust at Arkansas. Morris is in a perfect situation to blow up if he can develop Kelly.

I dig your optimism, and I’m with you. 

The point I was making is those 29 SEC loses he piled up in 5 years will take a while to cover up.  We play 8 conf games a year.  Morris will have to go undefeated in the SEC for 4 years straight just to neutralize all of those losses.  See that happening?  We’d all love nothing more, but hence the “boatload of years”.  Bret dug us a hell of a hole, and laughed all the way to bank.  Harsh reality.

AirWarren

• Uncommonly, Unfinished Business.
« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2018, 04:21:59 pm »

Let it go

Very much time to let it go.

Some of these guys act like the “ex wife” that continues to drown themselves in the booze and continual blaming of their ex husband over and over and over again.

AirWarren

« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2018, 04:26:53 pm »

Low arrests. Mike woods isn’t putting us in the right direction early in the Morris era.

Großer Kriegschwein

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Is it football season yet?
« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2018, 04:31:14 pm »

Low arrests. Mike woods isn’t putting us in the right direction early in the Morris era.

Meh

How the rest of the team turns out depends on how Morris handles it. Even Peter Griffin had whoopsies onesies and twosies.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2018, 06:17:06 pm »

The Patriots don't coddle worthless losers. Bielema is a good coach who had a bad stint at a tough place to win, especially win big. His style could have worked here, if he had the horses. I wish him well.

Why do some people forget that it is the coaches responsibility to get those horses. It isn’t simply on the game field or practice that makes a coach successful.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Nadine Coyle shakin it for the Hogs!!!!
« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2018, 06:28:15 pm »

I hate to tell you this, but he was in charge of getting "those horses" to campus and then developing them even if they were "lesser horses" than what everyone else signed. That was supposed to be his trademark.

I would have never said this before because I am not a fan of Barry Alavarez, but it certainly appears that it was the guiding hand of Alvarez that helped Bielema be successful at Wisconsin. I would guess that their daily/weekly chats did a lot of good for Bielema and Wisconsin.

He didn't have that at Arkansas and though I liked the guy and thought he was a great hire when he was hired and thought that he did some good things for the program while here, he turned out to achieve less than what probably most expected. Most of all, less than what he expected of himself.

Iwastherein1969

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Seven of Nine says '69 is closer to 9 than to 7
« Reply #45 on: July 14, 2018, 06:44:15 pm »

What Bert did at Wisky has a big NADA to do with what he did here. Alvarez ran that show.  It is no coincidence that when Bert had to recruit players that weren't from Arkansas or was not a Petrino recruit playing out the string, his record went totally to excrement. To assert anything different is incorrect. Besides, a sore loser's opinions are not necessarily wrong.

RyanMallettsEgo

• Take it easy, I'm pre-law.
« Reply #46 on: July 14, 2018, 07:59:40 pm »

Very much time to let it go.

Some of these guys act like the “ex wife” that continues to drown themselves in the booze and continual blaming of their ex husband over and over and over again.

I've tried to say this same thing before but you just put it better than I ever have. You're 100% right.

oldbooniehog

• Testing...testing
« Reply #47 on: July 14, 2018, 09:47:24 pm »

The Bielema hate is getting very, very stale.  The vehemence of the "He was the worst EVER"  posters makes me strongly suspect those posters know nothing about the Jack Crowe to Joe Kines  to Danny Ford era.

AirWarren

« Reply #48 on: July 14, 2018, 11:32:52 pm »

Good luck coach B. Thanks for all you did here. Just didn’t work out

jkstock04

« Reply #49 on: July 15, 2018, 12:11:42 am »

The Bielema hate is getting very, very stale.  The vehemence of the "He was the worst EVER"  posters makes me strongly suspect those posters know nothing about the Jack Crowe to Joe Kines  to Danny Ford era.
And the people continuing to say he did awesome things here is getting very, very stale. The guy wrecked our program to the depths of Vanderbilt type dumpster expectations...and we still have fans with the beaten wife syndrome who think the guy is great.

Twilight Zone material.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas