• 396,148 Topics
• 22,373 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Stacey Wilkins  (Read 14520 times)

ricepig

Re: Stacey Wilkins
« Reply #50 on: July 13, 2018, 11:28:56 am »

Some kids want to play for the home state while others want a winner. We will get every in state kid if we become both.

Chicken or the egg?

KlubhouseKonnected

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • OOOOhh, GOOD FOR YOU!
« Reply #51 on: July 13, 2018, 11:41:18 am »

Tell this to Darius Philon

Yeah but itís sort of bad policy to become your in-state studs back up dates to the prom

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

KlubhouseKonnected

• OOOOhh, GOOD FOR YOU!
« Reply #52 on: July 13, 2018, 11:52:10 am »

Chicken or the egg?

Best class in a decade, and we are six years into the lowest point of Arkansas Razorbacks football in 70 something years. This used to be the kind of class to fix the trend but now the trend may derail the class... something like that?

JackJohnson

« Reply #53 on: July 13, 2018, 12:28:56 pm »

Iím giving Morris a free pass Bc he is just starting out and deserves it.  With that said keeping Scott on the coaching staff and bringing Frye and Mark Smith with him are VERY risky.  None of those 3 have proven to be able to go out and beat multiple P5 coaches for players, nor have they earned their keep with coaching up and developing players to the next level.  Itís literally lose/lose on the recruiting front against coaches that have done both.  Donít think for a second opposing coaches arenít all over the FACT Frye is literally in uncharted waters right now in terms of coaching level and has literally ZERO examples of direct coaching of NFL players.

As of 7-13-18 the OL recruiting is showing just that, and we have 2 bonafide SEC level OTs in the state one being the cousins of an all time great and are not leading for either

Seebs

« Reply #54 on: July 13, 2018, 12:50:36 pm »

Interest level of Darius Thomas according to 24/7 is 'None'.  That is not poor recruiting, that is zero interest.

sickboy

« Reply #55 on: July 13, 2018, 02:00:41 pm »

Some kids want to play for the home state while others want a winner. We will get every in state kid if we become both.

That's not always true. Some kids want to get out of the state of Arkansas and live other place for the experience. I was that way. I love Arkansas, but there was nothing that was going to stop me from leaving the state.

Point being, recruiting isn't a science. You can't predict what an 18 year old kid is going to base his decision on. It's foolhardy to blame coaches for every kid that leaves the state.

Mike_e

• All-American Hogvillian
  • May the woo be with you
« Reply #56 on: July 13, 2018, 02:07:16 pm »

It may not be, but if Oklahomaís BBQ is referred to as Champ U BBQ, Wilkins responded on Twitter saying heís not going.

Looks like a great big NO to the ou bbq to me.

Wonder what that means.

OBTW  I'm 61 and I'm not really sure what I'll be doing tomorrow either.  ;)

Bubba's Bruisers

« Reply #57 on: July 13, 2018, 03:39:55 pm »

Interest level of Darius Thomas according to 24/7 is 'None'.  That is not poor recruiting, that is zero interest.

Itís a poor program during the lifetime of the recruit.  And coaches are paid millions to get the in state kid at least somewhat interested.

imtad16

« Reply #58 on: July 13, 2018, 03:44:59 pm »

It’s a poor program during the lifetime of the recruit.  And coaches are paid millions to get the in state kid at least somewhat interested.

But if Thomas won't even visit the campus with the new staff then the decision was made before the coaches could persuade him. This staff couldn't do anything about it (excluding Lunney). This could change maybe they get him to take an official during the season, but if in the end he doesn't that pretty much says there was nothing this staff could do.

This was the last time he visited Arkansas NOV and June (2017)

ricepig

« Reply #59 on: July 13, 2018, 03:46:40 pm »

Itís a poor program during the lifetime of the recruit.  And coaches are paid millions to get the in state kid at least somewhat interested.

It appears he had interest under the former staff, I don't think he ever visited under this staff.

Hogtimes

« Reply #60 on: July 13, 2018, 03:49:10 pm »

It sure will be sad if he commits to OU only to have them change their mind at the eleventh hour after all bridges here are burned.

I do respect his right to choose where he wants to go. I also respect our coaches right to say no thanks if he needs a spot late in the process.

CCM says ďIf I have to beg you to come here I will have to beg you to play.

OU has recruited the guy too long to  change their mind.  I am with Morris.  If he does not want us   ...we don't want him. 

Bubba's Bruisers

« Reply #61 on: July 13, 2018, 03:50:09 pm »

But if he won't even visit the campus with the new staff then the decision was made before the coaches could persuade him. This staff couldn't do anything about it (excluding Lunney). This could change maybe they get him to take an official during the season, but if in the end he doesn't that pretty much says there was nothing this staff could do.

This was the last time he visited Arkansas NOV and June (2017)

Iím not saying itís CMís fault if we lose him.  I just donít give our coaches automatic passes like everyone else.  Theyíre more than capable of screwing up...I know thatís an unbelievable concept to most.   

Donít know why this particular recruit has zero interest.  Probably that our program has sucked for so long and that he resides in ASU country.

Bubba's Bruisers

« Reply #62 on: July 13, 2018, 03:52:03 pm »

It appears he had interest under the former staff, I don't think he ever visited under this staff.

Thatís an even more bitter pill to swallow.

ricepig

« Reply #63 on: July 13, 2018, 03:55:43 pm »

Iím not saying itís CMís fault if we lose him.  I just donít give our coaches automatic passes like everyone else.  Theyíre more than capable of screwing up...I know thatís an unbelievable concept to most.   

Donít know why this particular recruit has zero interest.  Probably that our program has sucked for so long and that he resides in ASU country.
We signed 3 different athletes in 3 different sports this past year from his high school, and have a commit for 2019 in a fourth. The Dawg Pound Calls the Hogs about as often as they do the team's cheer.

Bubba's Bruisers

« Reply #64 on: July 13, 2018, 03:59:45 pm »

We signed 3 different athletes in 3 different sports this past year from his high school, and have a commit for 2019 in a fourth. The Dawg Pound Calls the Hogs about as often as they do the team's cheer.

Iím just spitballing.  I have no clue.

If he showed interest with the previous staff but not the new staff, then thatís very unfortunate.  Not sure how to interpret that.  IF thatís true, of course.

imtad16

« Reply #65 on: July 13, 2018, 04:04:03 pm »

Probably that our program has sucked for so long and that he resides in ASU country.

Yeah I bet this is the biggest factor for Thomas is just the irrelevance of the program since he has been a teenager. This is why to me the unknown variable with all these guys, Thomas and Wilkins especially, is if we kick some a** in season similiar to 1998. If that happens I think we get every instate guy. Now I will say the odds are long that we see that, but if the season is good I think things change with definitely Wilkins. I think Wilkins is captivated by OU's blue blood and it doesn't help that we were 4-8, but I think the trance could be broken with 7 or 8 wins and a reenergized program/state.

ricepig

« Reply #66 on: July 13, 2018, 04:06:38 pm »

Iím just spitballing.  I have no clue.

If he showed interest with the previous staff but not the new staff, then thatís very unfortunate.  Not sure how to interpret that.  IF thatís true, of course.

Well, he made 3 visits between his offer last March and the Auburn game of last year, none that show up since that visit. Now, I think he and his family went to the Red/White game, but I'm not 100% sure. Truthfully, I don't know why the level of interest decreased. I know Morris and the staff came by soon after their arrival, and that Fry was in Jonesboro again, later on. Pittman made several visits in the spring, as did Auburn and OM's OL coaches.

razorbackfaninar

• Senior
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #67 on: July 13, 2018, 04:08:06 pm »

He visited in February

imtad16

« Reply #68 on: July 13, 2018, 04:09:32 pm »

He visited in February

Not that i don't believe you, but do you have a link for that? 247 says he hasn't been on campus since November.

ricepig

« Reply #69 on: July 13, 2018, 04:53:50 pm »

Not that i don't believe you, but do you have a link for that? 247 says he hasn't been on campus since November.

I don't think he made it up to any of the Prospect Days, he went to OM and Memphis in the spring.

tusked

• Clapton is god....but SRV was the big bang!
« Reply #70 on: July 13, 2018, 08:42:04 pm »

Iím giving Morris a free pass Bc he is just starting out and deserves it.  With that said keeping Scott on the coaching staff and bringing Frye and Mark Smith with him are VERY risky.  None of those 3 have proven to be able to go out and beat multiple P5 coaches for players, nor have they earned their keep with coaching up and developing players to the next level.  Itís literally lose/lose on the recruiting front against coaches that have done both.  Donít think for a second opposing coaches arenít all over the FACT Frye is literally in uncharted waters right now in terms of coaching level and has literally ZERO examples of direct coaching of NFL players.

As of 7-13-18 the OL recruiting is showing just that, and we have 2 bonafide SEC level OTs in the state one being the cousins of an all time great and are not leading for either

Yeah there's just little room for error in the SEC.  Jones decommitting and going out of state was the first red flag for me.  Time will tell but with a couple of position coaches and recruiting they're pushing the bolder up hill.

Arthur pigby sellers.

• Senior
« Reply #71 on: July 13, 2018, 10:34:39 pm »

I agree itís too early to label any position Coach a poor recruiter, but Our poor OL recruiting is worriesome.
Where do you think these OT would commit if Pittman was our O line coach?  I have little doubt we would land at least one of these two and wouldnít be surprised if we got both.

HogFoo

« Reply #72 on: July 13, 2018, 11:59:28 pm »

It sucks that this is the best recruiting class in a few years amd we are coming off another tailspin year from bielema.  With Morris coming in, for recruits, it's kind of a Show me first kind of deal.  I really believe that if Morris can just have a winning season, that alone would help him tremendously. I of course can see him getting to 7-8 maybe even 9wins with a bowl.    That would be a heckuva year.  Which like i said if we could it would pay dividends towards recruiting.  Its way too early to say anything negative about these coaches or any of their supposed inability to recruit.  Give it some time.

Hogindasticks

« Reply #73 on: July 14, 2018, 07:10:23 am »

I agree itís too early to label any position Coach a poor recruiter, but Our poor OL recruiting is worriesome.
Where do you think these OT would commit if Pittman was our O line coach?  I have little doubt we would land at least one of these two and wouldnít be surprised if we got both.

I'm very excited because what I see is Coach Morris is getting the players he wants and not settling for second-best which is why I think our recruiting numbers may be down a little bit but as this goes along and he gets the players that he wants I think everything's going to come together pretty pretty well for us.

Hogindasticks

« Reply #74 on: July 14, 2018, 07:12:15 am »

It sucks that this is the best recruiting class in a few years amd we are coming off another tailspin year from bielema.  With Morris coming in, for recruits, it's kind of a Show me first kind of deal.  I really believe that if Morris can just have a winning season, that alone would help him tremendously. I of course can see him getting to 7-8 maybe even 9wins with a bowl.    That would be a heckuva year.  Which like i said if we could it would pay dividends towards recruiting.  Its way too early to say anything negative about these coaches or any of their supposed inability to recruit.  Give it some time.

I agree if he has a decent season get ready it's on

redneckfriend

• Senior
« Reply #75 on: July 14, 2018, 08:14:10 am »

I agree if he has a decent season get ready it's on

What I'm kind of wondering is where this "decent" season is coming from given that we don't have an SEC caliber quarterback. Many here seem think the Mississippi game is a win but when I looked at a 2019 mock draft I noticed there were two Mississippi players in the top 10- the left tackle and a wide receiver. I know some believe we have all kinds of talent on the roster that was wasted by the previous coach but what is more likely is we don't have that much SEC west talent and, while Bielema's offense may have made things worse, players play and they didn't play very well last year.

It is a nice fantasy that all we have to do is win 7 or 8 games and the recruits will come knocking- call me a skeptic but I don't think it will be that easy. It hasn't been so far in the years I've been following Arkansas.

Hollywood_HOGan45

• Hollywood could coach better than nutt.
« Reply #76 on: July 14, 2018, 08:31:28 am »

What I'm kind of wondering is where this "decent" season is coming from given that we don't have an SEC caliber quarterback. Many here seem think the Mississippi game is a win but when I looked at a 2019 mock draft I noticed there were two Mississippi players in the top 10- the left tackle and a wide receiver. I know some believe we have all kinds of talent on the roster that was wasted by the previous coach but what is more likely is we don't have that much SEC west talent and, while Bielema's offense may have made things worse, players play and they didn't play very well last year.

It is a nice fantasy that all we have to do is win 7 or 8 games and the recruits will come knocking- call me a skeptic but I don't think it will be that easy. It hasn't been so far in the years I've been following Arkansas.

Oh yes! I see we  have another one of those many "realists".

redneckfriend

• Senior
« Reply #77 on: July 14, 2018, 08:36:25 am »

Oh yes! I see we  have another one of those many "realists".

Exactly- sorry to rain on your parade but trust me, it is better hearing it now than waiting for the results to come in and having to deal with the bitterness of disappointment. That way if you are, by some chance, right and we win 8 games and have a top 10 recruiting class in 2020 you will be even more excited- and you can say "I told you so".

a0ashle

• Hogvillian
« Reply #78 on: July 14, 2018, 09:06:31 am »

2019 mock draft as evidence! LOL! It actually make me feel better that you had to go to a mock draft for 2019 to make your point.

redneckfriend

• Senior
« Reply #79 on: July 14, 2018, 09:10:34 am »

2019 mock draft as evidence! LOL! It actually make me feel better that you had to go to a mock draft for 2019 to make your point.

What?

KlubhouseKonnected

• OOOOhh, GOOD FOR YOU!
« Reply #80 on: July 14, 2018, 02:38:55 pm »

krackhog

« Reply #81 on: July 14, 2018, 03:47:57 pm »

Pm

hawginbigd1

« Reply #82 on: July 14, 2018, 04:26:17 pm »

Yeah there's just little room for error in the SEC.  Jones decommitting and going out of state was the first red flag for me.  Time will tell but with a couple of position coaches and recruiting they're pushing the bolder up hill.
I am with you, my concern when hired, was his ability to maintain or improve our recruiting, he gets a little pass for this class not a complete pass, but not going to give him a fail. He did decent delivering Gerald,  Parker, and Mason late avoided a fail. Losing the in-state guys was very concerning, and the pace of commitment from the in-state guys so far is a concern. I am reserving judgment until the season plays out and the early signing period is done, but all the sunshine pumping is a bit ridiculous. Losing the top 2 OL who are seemingly legit SEC players from in-state can only be considered a failure imo, especially when you have had a year to work on them.

ricepig

« Reply #83 on: July 14, 2018, 04:31:29 pm »

I am with you, my concern when hired, was his ability to maintain or improve our recruiting, he gets a little pass for this class not a complete pass, but not going to give him a fail. He did decent delivering Gerald,  Parker, and Mason late avoided a fail. Losing the in-state guys was very concerning, and the pace of commitment from the in-state guys so far is a concern. I am reserving judgment until the season plays out and the early signing period is done, but all the sunshine pumping is a bit ridiculous. Losing the top 2 OL who are seemingly legit SEC players from in-state can only be considered a failure imo, especially when you have had a year to work on them.

7 months to work on them, but about the same as other schools.

hawginbigd1

« Reply #84 on: July 14, 2018, 04:37:12 pm »

7 months to work on them, but about the same as other schools.
I was allowing for the remaining time until signing day. They also have both been of interest to the program for far longer than a year so it's not like it's totally new.

ricepig

« Reply #85 on: July 14, 2018, 05:02:13 pm »

I was allowing for the remaining time until signing day. They also have both been of interest to the program for far longer than a year so it's not like it's totally new.

Wilkins received his offer from Morris in Dec?, no offer from the previous staff. Thomas hasn't been to Fayetteville since the staffs changed.

jhogg

• Band Nerd
« Reply #86 on: July 14, 2018, 06:01:31 pm »

I want kids who want to be ARKANSAS RAZORBACKS. Kids who want to come here and get this thing turned around, you know be the guy not just one of the guys

HOGINTENNESSEE

• Ryan Mallett: "I don't get nervous"
« Reply #87 on: July 14, 2018, 06:08:35 pm »

I want kids who want to be ARKANSAS RAZORBACKS. Kids who want to come here and get this thing turned around, you know be the guy not just one of the guys

Overrated take. Darius Philon didn't want to be here. But I'm glad he was

JaketheSnake

« Reply #88 on: July 14, 2018, 06:46:06 pm »

Overrated take. Darius Philon didn't want to be here. But I'm glad he was
This.  I expect Ark kids to come here and itís frustrating when they donít.  Iíll take the best we can get out of state. Most kids donít grow up wanting to be hogs. 

hawginbigd1

« Reply #89 on: July 14, 2018, 08:14:04 pm »

Wilkins received his offer from Morris in Dec?, no offer from the previous staff. Thomas hasn't been to Fayetteville since the staffs changed.
True but not totally relevant, relationship does not begin usually with the offer. DT may not have been to campus since but he has been to campus on multiple occasions and they have been to see him since the change. Don't matter really it's details, lose the 2 of them and they have failed imo unless they somehow wrangle a couple better from elsewhere.

ricepig

« Reply #90 on: July 14, 2018, 08:20:29 pm »

True but not totally relevant, relationship does not begin usually with the offer. DT may not have been to campus since but he has been to campus on multiple occasions and they have been to see him since the change. Don't matter really it's details, lose the 2 of them and they have failed imo unless they somehow wrangle a couple better from elsewhere.

And you won't know if someone is better for a few years, so it'll be awhile.

HogBreath

« Reply #91 on: July 14, 2018, 11:12:42 pm »

And you won't know if someone is better for a few years, so it'll be awhile.
Too bad it won't be the great Coach Pittman recruiting them, cause all his o line recruits have been all americans.

East TN HAWG

• Hogville.net
« Reply #93 on: July 15, 2018, 11:15:42 am »

Too bad it won't be the great Coach Pittman recruiting them, cause all his o line recruits have been all americans.

They are not always all Americans,  but a bunch end up in the NFL. 

Hollywood870

« Reply #94 on: July 16, 2018, 09:56:09 pm »

Need to pull some East Texas linemen now.

factchecker

• RAZORBACKS OR NOTHING!
« Reply #95 on: July 16, 2018, 11:51:35 pm »

I'm not sure if this has been posted but here are highlights from the opening via WholeHog's youtube channel:

jvanhorn

« Reply #96 on: July 17, 2018, 12:23:20 am »

This is like the 5th time it’s changed

When the dust clears he will be at OU.  I have thought that for a long time and nothing has happened to make me feel any different.

Peter Porker

• Love God. Love Others. It's that simple.
« Reply #97 on: July 17, 2018, 07:10:43 am »

Remember in 2016 when Ole Miss actually had 3 first rounders in the draft? How many times did we beat those guys?

JackJohnson

« Reply #98 on: July 17, 2018, 08:34:03 am »

Remember in 2016 when Ole Miss actually had 3 first rounders in the draft? How many times did we beat those guys?

That same group did beat Bama twice and make it to a NY6 bowl.  Iím pretty sure they are fine with taking the losses to us and having those results and wouldnít trade us those seasons with what we ďaccomplishedĒ and vice versa I wouldnít if I were them either. 

ballinhog

« Reply #99 on: July 17, 2018, 10:05:18 am »

Is Dustin Fry the weak link? Seems like it so far.

1 mistake I think Chad Morris has made so far is splitting up the state among the entire staff. I think we would have better luck if Lunney was the primary recruiter for all instate recruits
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas