• 396,081 Topics
• 22,370 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Position by position analysis for 2018-19 women's basketball team  (Read 442 times)

flippinhogmana

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Nathan J Allison - Brothers to the Bone Books

Players unofficially available this year

AíTyanna Gaulden           G          RSo        5-7   
Raven Northcross-Baker   G          Sr        5-7   
Malica Monk                   G          Sr        5-5   
Keiryn Swenson             G/F          Sr        6-1   
Kiara Williams              F/C          Jr        6-1   
Grayce Spangler          G          So        5-11
Jailyn Mason                  G          Jr        5-9   
Sydney Stout                  F          Jr        6-0   
Bailey Zimmerman          G/F         Sr        6-0   
Taylah Thomas                  F         So        6-1   
Macy Weaver                 C         So        6-3   
Chelsea Dungee              G         RSo        5-11   
Alexis Tolefree              G              Jr            5-8
Rokia Doumbia             G              F             5-9
Erynn Barnum              F              F             6-2

Breakdown by position although some of these will play multiple positions:

Point Guard - the hogs will have two pure point guards this year who will be able to both push the ball and score.  We all know MM's talents.  A'Tyannna Gaulden is slightly taller (two inches) and bigger, she also doesnt tend to drive it as deep if she is well defended, but she is apt to pass first, pull up for a shot second.  The drive is to score at the rim for MM, but it is to draw the defense for AT to get good shots for her team mates.  Either approach has its merits, but each is a change of pace to the other.  Having the two of them should lead to a more full-throttled four quarters attack.  Jailyn Mason might also see limited time at this position.

Shooting Guard -  This year we will have two full bore - flat out stone cold shooting guards, in Alexis Tolefree and Chelsea Dungee.  It may even happen that they play at the same time in some games with Chelsea (at 5-11) playing small forward and perhaps even sometimes playing the four on defense in some alignments.  RNB might also fit in this category.  She was pretty streaky last year and there were few games when she lit it up consistently.  I think having the other two gunners will take some pressure off her and she will actually play better as a result.  If you regard this as the number three guard, Grace Spangler will have some minutes at this position but the bulk of the minutes will go to CD or AT.  Bailey Zimmerman will play in this position some because of her defense.  When she does - I look for CD to play the four.

Number two guard or off guard - mid range shooter - Jailyn Mason certainly fits in this category.  at 5-9 she is an inch taller than Tolefree and is more of a "complete or rounded" guard than Tolefree imho, but certainly brings a different skill set.  You will have our freshman Rokia Doumbia with some minutes at this position as well, bulk of the minutes to JM, with AT getting some.

Power Forward - Taylah Thomas, Erynn Barnum, Keiryn Swenson are the natural inhabitants of this position, but as I mentioned earlier - when we play a four guard offense, CD will drop from the three to the four.  The rest of the time it is my hope that TT will have developed enough to play the position at least half the minutes.  BZ might even play the position some.  Defensively I think we would play at our best with TT at the position, offensively for the most part CD

Center - Williams and Weaver.  Against some opponents Williams is apt to get the bulk of the minutes.  She is experienced, relentless and effective but she can be outmanned.  Weaver is less experienced, but is three inches taller and longer armed.  How much Weaver develops is one of the keys to how successful this team will be, especially in conference and post season.  I think we will be at our best defensively with TT at the four, MW at the five.  We will still be vertically challenged against some teams, but not nearly so much.  With CD at the 3, AT at the two and MM or AT at the one, scoring should not be a problem in those situations.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 12:44:30 pm by flippinhogmana »

LadybackBBFan

Re: Position by position analysis for 2018-19 women's basketball team
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2018, 01:46:13 pm »

It is hard to argue with most of what Flippin as stated.  However, it does depend especially upon the development of Weaver and Thomas or someone else at the four or power forward like Barnum.  One final point is the above analysis does not account for the fact that we still need to know how we are getting down to 15 scholarships.  If anyone that is mentioned as key is missing, then we have a different situation.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

psycHOGlogist

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Skepticism is a virtue.
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2018, 02:20:25 pm »

I think if you read between flippinís lines, the answer about the 16th player is evident (by its absence). Or maybe Iím reading too much into things ó wouldnít be the first time!

One question I have is how often we will put out a 4 guard lineup. Clearly, we should be able to score the ball better than any team weíve had in quite a long time. Dungee and Tolefree are legit shooters. Iím honestly not sure about Gaulden, but if sheís as reliable as Mason (who can be streaky), thatís another couple of good options. Monk scores a lot, but she also shoots a lot, and her percentage isnít always good. Itíll be interesting to see how that develops. It will also be nice to have her be able to catch her breath for periods of time this season, which ought to help her numbers some. Doumbia is supposed to be a good slasher with a decent mid-range game, too. Thatís a lot of guard talent. How to get the best combo on the floor could be a tough nut to crack.

My second question ó well, itís more general curiosity than a question ó is to see how much post player development we will have. I thought Williams made HUGE strides last year. She was fantastic at times. Does she continue to improve? Do Thomas and Weaver make similar jumps after a year in the program? And what does Barnum add? She looks very athletic in what video clips I have seen.

Canít wait to see what the season brings!

flippinhogmana

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2018, 02:30:02 pm »

It is hard to argue with most of what Flippin as stated.  However, it does depend especially upon the development of Weaver and Thomas or someone else at the four or power forward like Barnum.  One final point is the above analysis does not account for the fact that we still need to know how we are getting down to 15 scholarships.  If anyone that is mentioned as key is missing, then we have a different situation.

as Psych indicated You will note I didnt mention one player, but I dont want to announce anything until the coach and the university does.

I have lot of hope for Barnum - tall, lithe, good wing span, runs the floor.  Think she is a hybrid three/four (one service listed her as a wing which is usually closer to a three).  I dont know how long it will take her to get up to SEC speed if there is any delay at all. 

TT showed flashes last year, I just dont know about EB just yet.  But as opposed to last year, this year we have one more 6-1 or taller player which will help on fouls and platooning.  I hope CD doesnt have to play the 4 much this year, but I am almost certain that she will some.  At 5-11 and bigger than DC, she can hold her ground better without it hurting her offense.  But it would be nice if TT and MW (along with Kiara and EB) displayed enough offense that we didnt have to to go to a four guard offense as much.  Last year part of the reason why we didnt play the three of them together much was that all three of them picked up too many fouls.  All of them learned to cut down on that by the end of the year, so they should be able to play in tandem more, especially with the addition of Barnum.

I also take note that we have three seniors this year and that should perhaps make a difference as well.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 12:52:44 pm by flippinhogmana »

flippinhogmana

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2018, 07:48:58 am »

From Pscych's post:

I thought Williams made HUGE strides last year. She was fantastic at times. Does she continue to improve?

I thought this item deserved its own analysis.  Kiara did indeed come on a great deal toward the last half or last third of the conference season in particular.  Any of us who have ever played the game of basketball knows that some players play bigger than their actually physical size - Kiara is one of those, but that doesn't always work in every situation against every opponent.  Kiara seemed to understand her advantages and exploit them more in that period - as well as flat out worked her butt off and wouldn't be denied at times.  What I dont know is if the players she did that against were more susceptible to that than other players she will face. 

Do Thomas and Weaver make similar jumps after a year in the program? And what does Barnum add? She looks very athletic in what video clips I have seen

Usually you make your biggest single jump in development between your freshman year and sophomore year.  I do expect both Thomas and Weaver to be improved.  I hope a lot as I have previously stated.  Barnum is everything Psych said, I just dont know at what position she finds a home - she is a tweener in some respects - and how that plays against the opposition.  Playing time and being a freshman are likely to limit her some, but we will have to see what she does with her opportunities.

LadybackBBFan

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2018, 01:58:34 pm »

At his last luncheon, Coach said that he expects Williams to make tremendous strides this year over last.  One reason is she was not in shape last year as she did not expect to be back by her own admission.   That is why she was limited to only about 20 minutes per game.

flippinhogmana

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2018, 04:27:46 pm »

At his last luncheon, Coach said that he expects Williams to make tremendous strides this year over last.  One reason is she was not in shape last year as she did not expect to be back by her own admission.   That is why she was limited to only about 20 minutes per game.

That (not sure if she wanted to be here and being out of shape) might account for both her being foul prone at first and secondly not picking it up until later in the year.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas