• 9,881,162 Posts
• 398,156 Topics
• 22,802 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: One Week Away  (Read 437 times)

userpick

One Week Away
« on: July 11, 2018, 11:13:43 am »

7 days from Del Mar. 9 days from Saratoga. It's been a boring summer but it's about to get a lot better.

HawgWild

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Left lane, hammer down.
Re: One Week Away
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2018, 12:47:57 pm »

I'm planning on a trip to Oaklawn Jim Dandy weekend. I usually go for the Travers but my racing buddy has a conflict that weekend.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

husker71

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2018, 05:48:40 pm »

best time if the year to see young future superstars battle each other.  Always some surprises when a lesser known trainer unleashes a real runner for the 1st time.

holeinthewall

• Senior
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2018, 06:36:02 am »

Next summer I will be planning my trip home to coincide with the Saratoga meet. I haven't been in probably 8 years.  Great facility if you have never been you need to go.  Unlike Keeneland where the open air grand stand may be 40 Saratoga will be warm.  And the outside picnic area where you can bet and watch the races is amazing. 

Wouldn't mind catching the NASCAR race at Watkins Glen also.   

OaklawnCapper

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2018, 12:24:57 pm »

Saratoga is at the top of my list of tracks I haven't been too yet.

userpick

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2018, 09:03:55 pm »

Iím going to Saratoga opening weekend and Del Mar a couple of weeks after that. I go to Saratoga every year but this will be my first Del Mar trip and I canít wait. Saratoga really is a special place. If youíve never been, make plans to go.

heavylifting

• Senior
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2018, 10:27:10 pm »

Many great places to eat in and around Saratoga -- it has become something of a foodie destination -- but if you're a racing fan, you should work the Wishing Well in nearby Wilton into your plans. About 10 minutes by car from downtown. Last time I ate there, John Servis, Jason Servis and their wives were at the next table. Once saw an inebriated Paul Hornung yelling at the late Joe Hirsch. Could go on like this, but see for yourselves. Almost like being transported to one of those horse racing flicks from the 1930s or 40s, where all anyone cared about was the races.

userpick

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2018, 09:41:57 am »

Many great places to eat in and around Saratoga -- it has become something of a foodie destination -- but if you're a racing fan, you should work the Wishing Well in nearby Wilton into your plans. About 10 minutes by car from downtown. Last time I ate there, John Servis, Jason Servis and their wives were at the next table. Once saw an inebriated Paul Hornung yelling at the late Joe Hirsch. Could go on like this, but see for yourselves. Almost like being transported to one of those horse racing flicks from the 1930s or 40s, where all anyone cared about was the races.

Never been there. Will have to try that one out, thanks.

holeinthewall

• Senior
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2018, 05:44:19 am »

If you have some time while there take a ride into the Adirondacks.  Beautiful clear sand bottom mountain lakes. 

HawgWild

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Left lane, hammer down.
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2018, 03:34:14 pm »

Saratoga has been on my list as well. Never made it during racing season but I did stop by on my way back from Nova Scotia a few years back. Beautifull track. Not sure what this was about.

HogFanInBryant

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2018, 08:42:01 pm »

If you have some time while there take a ride into the Adirondacks.  Beautiful clear sand bottom mountain lakes. 

This is off subject a bit from your point...but didn't John Servis have a colt one time that was supposed to be a Triple Crown hopeful with "Adirondack" in it's name?

cbhawg03

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2018, 11:26:58 pm »

This is off subject a bit from your point...but didn't John Servis have a colt one time that was supposed to be a Triple Crown hopeful with "Adirondack" in it's name?

Adirondack King.  Believe he shipped him to OP but wasnít much to write home about

holeinthewall

• Senior
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2018, 06:58:37 am »

You will see some of the states races at Saraotga and some horses named for places up there.

Amsterdam
Albany
Saranac
Lake George

I don't see the Ballston Spa on the schedule this year.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 10:07:24 am by holeinthewall »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas