• 10,013,113 Posts
• 401,372 Topics
• 22,973 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 [13] 14   Go Down

Author Topic: Treylon Burks...*Committed to Arkansas*  (Read 50125 times)

SA Hog Fan

Re: Treylon Burks...*Committed to Arkansas*
« Reply #600 on: October 12, 2018, 11:28:14 am »

With advances in surgery and rehab there is no reason to think that he will not return full speed. 

dethnode

« Reply #601 on: October 12, 2018, 11:41:01 am »

Do you think this influences the decision on whether he redshirts or not?

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

ricepig

« Reply #602 on: October 12, 2018, 11:54:42 am »

Do you think this influences the decision on whether he redshirts or not?

I would imagine that's all dependent on his recovery.

zane

« Reply #603 on: October 12, 2018, 11:55:22 am »

Prayers for Treylon and his family.  On the chance of sounding insensitive though I will ask a question because I have no knowledge of these types of injuries.  How often does a player return at full health after these types of injuries or is it something that will affect his play for years to come?

ACL's aren't nearly as bad as they used to be (typically). They are done through a scope and usually augmented with a graft. Recovery used to be about a year. A lot of athletes are able to come back around 6 months now.

navyhog24

« Reply #604 on: October 12, 2018, 12:08:48 pm »

I asked that, because people were saying recovery time was 9 months to a year, that would mean he would miss all of spring and fall camp.  And if he is coming off an injury, then maybe a redshirt year would be necessary to allow additional recovery time and not risk reinjury. So sorry for having such a massively offensive thought run through my mind...

They most likely will. He will probably need a full season to build his strength back up as well.

dethnode

« Reply #605 on: October 12, 2018, 12:12:18 pm »

They most likely will. He will probably need a full season to build his strength back up as well.

This was my thoughts, but, apparently, someone thought that was an outlandishly stupid thought, that I couldn't have been "seriously" questioning that....

Fort Dweller

« Reply #606 on: October 12, 2018, 12:12:20 pm »

Get that man some Deer Antler Spray. 

Prayers for a speedy and full recovery.

ricepig

« Reply #607 on: October 12, 2018, 12:33:44 pm »

I asked that, because people were saying recovery time was 9 months to a year, that would mean he would miss all of spring and fall camp.  And if he is coming off an injury, then maybe a redshirt year would be necessary to allow additional recovery time and not risk reinjury. So sorry for having such a massively offensive thought run through my mind...

It will all depend on his recovery. I think Koilan tore his in fall camp of 2017 and wasn't full speed at the start of this year's. Others have made quicker recoveries.

bigred223

• Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #608 on: October 12, 2018, 12:38:39 pm »

Hope he has a speedy and full recovery.

dethnode

« Reply #609 on: October 12, 2018, 12:43:39 pm »

It will all depend on his recovery. I think Koilan tore his in fall camp of 2017 and wasn't full speed at the start of this year's. Others have made quicker recoveries.

From the limited reading I have done, it seems like full recovery depends on position, running backs and wide receivers have the toughest time recovering fully because of the sudden direction change requirements of their position.

k.c.hawg

« Reply #610 on: October 12, 2018, 12:58:09 pm »

From the limited reading I have done, it seems like full recovery depends on position, running backs and wide receivers have the toughest time recovering fully because of the sudden direction change requirements of their position.

Adrian Peterson sets the bar. Torn ACL and MCL, started a game 8 months later and rushed for damn near 2100 yards that season. He said he spent $10,000 a week on his recovery so he had access to the absolute best of everything. Todd Gurley had surgery in mid November and was starting in the NFL in less than a year from surgery, winning Rookie of the Year.

Assuming the surgery goes well (no scar tissue causing problems) the biggest thing that determines a RB's ability to come back strong in a short period of time is first their commitment to rehab and second their mental state. On many players, the leg is 100% long before the brain is. The guys that can go back to 100% trust in the knee when the knee is 100%, can be as good as ever in 9 months.

dethnode

« Reply #611 on: October 12, 2018, 01:01:33 pm »

Adrian Peterson sets the bar. Torn ACL and MCL, started a game 8 months later and rushed for damn near 2100 yards that season. He said he spent $10,000 a week on his recovery so he had access to the absolute best of everything. Todd Gurley had surgery in mid November and was starting in the NFL in less than a year from surgery, winning Rookie of the Year.

Assuming the surgery goes well (no scar tissue causing problems) the biggest thing that determines a RB's ability to come back strong in a short period of time is first their commitment to rehab and second their mental state. On many players, the leg is 100% long before the brain is. The guys that can go back to 100% trust in the knee when the knee is 100%, can be as good as ever in 9 months.

I've always wondered this, I know Treylon is a HS athlete, but for college players that get injured, does the program cover surgery and/or hospital expenses.  Or is that a financial burden on the student/parents?

presidenthog

« Reply #612 on: October 12, 2018, 01:21:35 pm »

I do not expect him to contributr next season now honestly. I havent seen one of our players come back in a years time from that injury. Childs didnt. Koilan hasnt. Dont expect Burks too either.

Pig in the Pokey

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Roastin da bomb in Fayettenam.
« Reply #613 on: October 12, 2018, 01:43:04 pm »

People say that, but, Tony Ferguson tore his acl OFF THE BONE in april and he just fought, won, and looked amazing in UFC 229 last Saturday. That is an amazingly fast recovery, yes, but that is a 30-something older dude in a combat sport with no official rehab (he did his own thing alone), and he did it in less than 6 months.

HawgTide

« Reply #614 on: October 12, 2018, 01:44:41 pm »

I do not expect him to contributr next season now honestly. I havent seen one of our players come back in a years time from that injury. Childs didnt. Koilan hasnt. Dont expect Burks too either.

I think Child's injury was a torn patella tendon which is usually worse than an ACL

Redhogs

« Reply #615 on: October 12, 2018, 01:49:02 pm »

I think Child's injury was a torn patella tendon which is usually worse than an ACL
Thanks...really was the beginning of the end to his career....never the same after that. Gosh he was good.

Pig in the Pokey

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #616 on: October 12, 2018, 01:52:40 pm »

yep.

311Hog

« Reply #617 on: October 12, 2018, 01:54:20 pm »

I've always wondered this, I know Treylon is a HS athlete, but for college players that get injured, does the program cover surgery and/or hospital expenses.  Or is that a financial burden on the student/parents?

i believe since the injury was during a HS event the HS covers his medical costs. (i hope they do)

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #618 on: October 12, 2018, 02:03:31 pm »

sure wish he was gonna be an early enrollee now.

TheSportsGuy

« Reply #619 on: October 12, 2018, 03:27:02 pm »

ACL is serious.  You're only born with what ya got once.  You can never fix it with a new acl as good.  There are different ways to replace it.  Making it as anatomic as possible is the secret to the most stability afterwards, which is its main function.  The techniques aren't perfect but have come a long ways.  A lot of the life after recovery is mental as much as anything.  Come back strong!

Dr. Sheldon Cooper

« Reply #620 on: October 12, 2018, 03:58:31 pm »

If Iím not mistaken, the student athletes are covered by insurance through their school.  This insurance pays any out of pocket expenses the parents might have beyond their private insurance, deductibles and so on...If for some reason the child doesnít have health insurance, Iím sure the schoolís policy would cover all expenses.  I would hope so anyway.

ballinhog

« Reply #621 on: October 12, 2018, 04:18:28 pm »

One that I remember coming back quick was Fred Talley. Not sure how long he was out but doesnít seem like it was very long. Physical recovery is the biggest issue no doubt, but the mental recovery is just as important. Fred Talley was a very tough minded dude, so when he came back it was no half stepping at all, he was balls to the wall.

A lot will depend on the mental aspect of Burks when he comes back, will he be timid? Who knows. I really hope this isnít something thatís gonna stop him from reaching his full potential, he has the talent and we have the offense for him to be the best WR weíve ever had

azhog10

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Razorback Basketball on the rise!
« Reply #622 on: October 12, 2018, 06:03:37 pm »

One that I remember coming back quick was Fred Talley. Not sure how long he was out but doesnít seem like it was very long. Physical recovery is the biggest issue no doubt, but the mental recovery is just as important. Fred Talley was a very tough minded dude, so when he came back it was no half stepping at all, he was balls to the wall.

A lot will depend on the mental aspect of Burks when he comes back, will he be timid? Who knows. I really hope this isnít something thatís gonna stop him from reaching his full potential, he has the talent and we have the offense for him to be the best WR weíve ever had
Getting to UofA midterm will help too. Having a professional staff able to help take care of you and get you the proper treatment will be huge for him.

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #623 on: October 12, 2018, 06:57:43 pm »

Getting to UofA midterm will help too. Having a professional staff able to help take care of you and get you the proper treatment will be huge for him.
as of now he isnít enrolling early. But i really wish he was now.

HogFoo

• All-American Hogvillian
« Reply #624 on: October 12, 2018, 07:11:05 pm »

Get that man some Deer Antler Spray. 

Prayers for a speedy and full recovery.
get the man some Badger milk!   

bulldog04

« Reply #625 on: October 12, 2018, 07:41:54 pm »

as of now he isnít enrolling early. But i really wish he was now.
He needs to now

Hollywood870

« Reply #626 on: October 12, 2018, 07:47:05 pm »

So he has an ACL injury?

Shinobi Wan Kenobi

• Walk-On
« Reply #627 on: October 12, 2018, 08:54:16 pm »

So he has an ACL injury?

Only place I can find online saying he has an ACL injury is this thread. Not doubting the people here, but I can't find anything elsewhere online talking about it.

I was telling a couple of guys tonight about it and they halfway think I'm lying because they can't find anything online.

31to6

« Reply #628 on: October 12, 2018, 09:15:42 pm »

So far through 3 quarters.. Burks has caught 3tds, thrown a TD, and returned a punt for a TD.
What, no pick-6?
Dude needs to up his game... :P

edit: well this was funnier before I read the rest of the thread about his injury... hope he has a speedy recovery

3kgthog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Don't PM me. I never read them.
« Reply #629 on: October 12, 2018, 11:26:07 pm »

Totally not what I wanted to read tonight as I was looking for his Friday night stats.

How big are the Knox and Henry commits now? That softens the blow a little.

Pig in the Pokey

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #630 on: October 13, 2018, 10:51:37 am »

Totally not what I wanted to read tonight as I was looking for his Friday night stats.

How big are the Knox and Henry commits now? That softens the blow a little.
boy isnt that the truth. softened the blow a bit.

Maybethebestever

• Walk-On
« Reply #631 on: October 13, 2018, 11:54:50 am »

Any idea whether or not he will enroll early? In my mind it would surely help his recovery

Uncle Remus

• Varsity
  • Whatya hear...whatya say?!?
« Reply #632 on: October 15, 2018, 12:55:03 pm »

Only place I can find online saying he has an ACL injury is this thread. Not doubting the people here, but I can't find anything elsewhere online talking about it.

I was telling a couple of guys tonight about it and they halfway think I'm lying because they can't find anything online.

I can assure you...he 100% has an ACL injury.  That was not the original diagnosis, but when they went in to do the surgery, they found the ACL tear. 

On his enrollment, he was going to stay because he plays basketball and baseball.  If possible, he should head on up.  That said, if he had not planned to do so earlier, that may be very difficult to do scheduling wise.  Time will tell, but don't expect it at this point.

Pig in the Pokey

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #633 on: October 15, 2018, 03:23:32 pm »

I worry about who did the surgery- any info?
The rehab, too. What's the plan? I hope Treylon comes in early in December and gets all that checked out by U of A doctors. These things can be ok nowadays, but, i dont have a ton of faith in rural east arkansas doctors.... I hope im just being paranoid.

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #634 on: October 15, 2018, 03:46:44 pm »

The rehab, too. What's the plan? I hope Treylon comes in early in December and gets all that checked out by U of A doctors. These things can be ok nowadays, but, i dont have a ton of faith in rural east arkansas doctors.... I hope im just being paranoid.
Have heard that the U of A had some input on surgery and rehab. Not sure on how true it is. But im sure they went with someone very reliable considering what is on the line in the future.

LA Football fan

« Reply #635 on: October 15, 2018, 04:17:16 pm »

Heard the same and that the surgery was deemed a success.  Now all up to how the rehab goes.  Hoping this is just a short blip in his career.  He is a game changer as soon as he steps on the field, whether on offense or defense.  Wishing the best for a most deserving person and athlete.  His sportsmanship on and off the field is exemplary.   Best wishes on your recovery Treylon and I want to thank you for all you have done as a Lumberjack on and off the field.  It has been a true joy watching you play as a Lumberjack and I know you are hurting deeply losing your senior year to injury. 

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #636 on: October 15, 2018, 04:38:20 pm »

Heard the same and that the surgery was deemed a success.  Now all up to how the rehab goes.  Hoping this is just a short blip in his career.  He is a game changer as soon as he steps on the field, whether on offense or defense.  Wishing the best for a most deserving person and athlete.  His sportsmanship on and off the field is exemplary.   Best wishes on your recovery Treylon and I want to thank you for all you have done as a Lumberjack on and off the field.  It has been a true joy watching you play as a Lumberjack and I know you are hurting deeply losing your senior year to injury. 
Gonna miss watching him play in the orange and black. A great talent that has always done it the right way. He will represent this state on and off the field as well as anyone we have had.

Pudgepork

• Horse Racings most unlikely champ
« Reply #637 on: October 15, 2018, 07:35:58 pm »

Fans are impatient but TB has proven that hes a laid back, patient kind of guy.   He will start therapy and do alot of hunting and fishing.   He will be fine and the most talented cheerleader on the sidelines   not the most attractive, those wear skirts

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #638 on: October 16, 2018, 08:21:48 am »

Fans are impatient but TB has proven that hes a laid back, patient kind of guy.   He will start therapy and do alot of hunting and fishing.   He will be fine and the most talented cheerleader on the sidelines   not the most attractive, those wear skirts
I dont think he plans on doing any cheer leading for next season. lol

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #639 on: October 16, 2018, 12:05:53 pm »

ACL is serious.  You're only born with what ya got once.  You can never fix it with a new acl as good.  There are different ways to replace it.  Making it as anatomic as possible is the secret to the most stability afterwards, which is its main function.  The techniques aren't perfect but have come a long ways.  A lot of the life after recovery is mental as much as anything.  Come back strong!

My wife had complete ACL replacement surgery. She tore it off downhill skiing years ago. They implanted a cadaver ACL and she rehabbed for about a year. After that she was able to ski again. With athletes being in top shape and the attention they get medically it really depends on the individual and what they do rehab wise as well as the sport and position they play. You are correct a lot of it is mental and the approach they take. I have a cousin that is a doctor that did sports medicine some. I asked him one time years ago What did they do before all the techniques and surgeries that they use today for players. He said they would do what they could as doctors but most of the time they would strengthen all the muscles around, above and below the knee and put a brace on it and get em back on the field. No they were not 100% doing that. Sometimes it even ended careers. Unfortunately my wife later slipped and fell in the kitchen and hit her head. Had an injury similar I think to what Rawleigh had. She hasnít skied since.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 12:16:26 pm by Inhogswetrust »

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #640 on: October 16, 2018, 12:14:58 pm »

I have no clue where he had surgery but based on where he lives close enough to LR Iíd bet he had a good doctor.

TexHog188

• Touchdown Arkansas!
« Reply #641 on: October 16, 2018, 11:15:44 pm »

Sucks for this young man.  Prayers for a complete and speedy recovery.

NEA_HogFan

• Varsity
« Reply #642 on: October 17, 2018, 02:11:24 am »

Thanks...really was the beginning of the end to his career....never the same after that. Gosh he was good.

Child's was actually doing some good things with the Vikings and was probably going to make the team until a freak play where he tore BOTH patellar tendons after landing hard on his knees after a catch.

sooiebaby

• Bench Warmer
  • Lord its hard to be humble
« Reply #643 on: October 18, 2018, 04:38:31 pm »

So if its an ACL rupture, he had options on repair that will affect his recovery time. There's an allograft repair (using cadaver tendon) or and autograft (using a tendon from the hamstring). Allograft repairs usually take less time to recover and can be sport ready in 6-8 months, but have a tendency to not be quite as durable on occasion. The Autograft is what most people prefer to do...it takes a little while longer to be sport ready (8-10 months), but is generally regarded as the better option in the Ortho world.

Muscle memory is a hell of a thing, so whatever atrophy he experiences in the process, he'll be able to regain relatively quickly. He'll be in aggressive physical therapy I'm sure moving foward after a couple of weeks of being non-weight bearing, which will help with the muscle atrophy. As one poster pointed out above, his biggest obstacle will be in his own mind with trusting that knee again. I've been there, its tough. It'll take him making a few hard cuts, or taking a helmet to the knee for him to understand that his knee will be fine.

Bottom line is, he's out for Spring ball for sure, but should be back towards the end of summer around the time fall ball fires up as long as he stays on schedule with rehab.

razorbackfan4life

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Big John
« Reply #644 on: October 21, 2018, 10:12:33 am »

Didn't Broderick Green have ACL reconstruction and return 3 months later?  That always blew my mind. 

I had ACL reconstruction(patella tendon) and it was a long time before I got comfortable playing basketball again.  I didn't rehab as much as I should have, atrophy really did a number on me. 

HankHog

« Reply #645 on: October 22, 2018, 11:14:22 am »

My son tore his ACL in spring practice before his junior year of high school.  He told the doctor that he wanted to play in games that upcoming season, doctor said that would not happen.  My son did everything EXACTLY the way he told to do for rehab.  Fast forward and he started at center the 6th game of season and played in the rest of the games with no side effects.  He ended up getting a scholarship to a DII school as a long snapper.  For his surgery the doctor used part of his patella tendon for the graft.  His was a complete tear of the ACL.  He will tell you today that his repaired knee is stronger than the other knee.  His time frame was 4 months from injury to playing.

sickboy

« Reply #646 on: October 22, 2018, 11:22:22 am »

My son tore his ACL in spring practice before his junior year of high school.  He told the doctor that he wanted to play in games that upcoming season, doctor said that would not happen.  My son did everything EXACTLY the way he told to do for rehab.  Fast forward and he started at center the 6th game of season and played in the rest of the games with no side effects.  He ended up getting a scholarship to a DII school as a long snapper.  For his surgery the doctor used part of his patella tendon for the graft.  His was a complete tear of the ACL.  He will tell you today that his repaired knee is stronger than the other knee.  His time frame was 4 months from injury to playing.

Things sure are different. I tore my ACL/MCL back in 98 during my sophomore year and I didn't get back until my Senior year and even then, I was never the same. Especially in basketball. Where my right leg was my plant leg for dunking/rebounding /laying up on the run... after my surgery I could jump half as high.

Memhogs

• Varsity
  • What time does Arkansas play?
Burks
« Reply #647 on: October 22, 2018, 07:48:03 pm »

Anyone else worried? I know that ACL surgery is a big deal, and I hope it doesnt have the same effect it did on Greg Childs. Either way, im glad heís a hog and I hope he has a good and speedy recovery!

AlmaHog2011

• Hogvillian
Re: Burks
« Reply #648 on: October 22, 2018, 07:50:26 pm »

Anyone else worried? I know that ACL surgery is a big deal, and I hope it doesnt have the same effect it did on Greg Childs. Either way, im glad heís a hog and I hope he has a good and speedy recovery!

His surgery is one that athletes actually come back better. There is zero comparison to what Childs has endured. Dang wish Childs could have shown what he could do sad that injuries took away a great player.

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #649 on: October 22, 2018, 07:57:32 pm »

Prayers for Treylon and his family.  On the chance of sounding insensitive though I will ask a question because I have no knowledge of these types of injuries.  How often does a player return at full health after these types of injuries or is it something that will affect his play for years to come?

12 months or so. Div 1 or pro athlete maybe little less because they are getting so much attention to rehab.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 [13] 14   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas