• 9,881,178 Posts
• 398,156 Topics
• 22,802 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Many are saying we need to recruit like OU does  (Read 4935 times)

Arkansas Hog in Dallas

Re: Many are saying we need to recruit like OU does
« Reply #50 on: July 11, 2018, 04:12:48 pm »

You and I both know it is easier to recruit to Arkansas than SMU.

He was also very specifically trying to establish connections in North and East Texas..

The Kig

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Hogville Heroes
« Reply #51 on: July 11, 2018, 04:32:37 pm »

Short answer, yes we need more TX recruits.  Pretty sure that played into Morris becoming our HC. 

Not simply because OU does it, but because we should be.  There are many reasons they do it and advantages they have.  OU is closer- a straight shot up I35 from Dallas at around 2.5 hrs drive vs over 5 hrs winding to Fayettville.  OK has considerably more shared border miles than AR.   

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Dominicanhog

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #52 on: July 11, 2018, 04:33:35 pm »

I agree, we do...

Hawghiggs

« Reply #53 on: July 11, 2018, 05:37:14 pm »

We need to recruit Arkansas, Louisiana, Missouri, and Texas first. Then go to Georgia and Florida.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Nadine Coyle shakin it for the Hogs!!!!
« Reply #54 on: July 11, 2018, 05:49:25 pm »

and the last time I checked the OU roster they have over 80% of scholarship players from Texas. 

Should we start signing 15+ from Texas?    I do not care where they come from but I do think we need more kids from Texas because they are so close and because Morris and many on his staff have so many great ties to that state.

From the 2002 through the 2017 signing years (16 years) Oklahoma averaged signing 9.5 p/year out of the state of Texas. How many players in total that they signed each year varies, but an average of 9.5 p/year is far from 80% of their roster. During that period of time the most that they ever signed in a single year was in 2010 when they signed 18. The next closest year with the most Texas signees? 2006, 2008 and 2011 when they signed 12 in each of those class years.

But, I might also add that in those years of 12 and 18 signees out of the state Texas, here were their national class rankings according to 247.

2006-12-#8
2008-12-#5
2010-18-#4
2011-12-#13

« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 07:04:44 pm by MuskogeeHogFan »

JIHawg

« Reply #55 on: July 11, 2018, 06:12:39 pm »

Our future lies in Arkansas having good years and East Texas.  We can make a living on that.

bphi11ips

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I need help with my footwork, too.
« Reply #56 on: July 11, 2018, 06:14:49 pm »

We need to recruit Arkansas, Louisiana, Missouri, and Texas first. Then go to Georgia and Florida.

Agree on the first four, but what about Oklahoma, Mississippi and Tennessee?  Tulsa and Memphis especially.  The further you get by road from Fayetteville the tougher it gets.

Al Boarland

« Reply #57 on: July 11, 2018, 06:58:40 pm »

Depends on what you think of as "killing it."  Could Arkansas get a sizeable number of 3 star recruits and the occasional 4 star pick up in Texas?  I think that's possible on a fairly consistent basis.
I don't think anyone would characterize "killing it" by  getting 3 stars. If the majority of your class is comprised of 3 stars you don't have much of a shot.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 07:34:01 pm by Al Boarland »

exit followed by a boar

• Senior
« Reply #58 on: July 11, 2018, 07:32:17 pm »

One question we need to ask ourselves is "How much influence do high school coaches have on the college choices of their players?" If the answer is a lot, we should be fine. Morris has strong relationships with HS coaches all over Texas and with his clinics and open door policy for visiting coaches is (re)building relationships in Arkansas and even parts of Oklahoma. Based on that premise players we want will come. If the answer is not a lot, we will have good relationships with a lot of coaches but fewer players that we want. Instead we'll be getting diamonds in the rough other teams aren't focusing on. I don't know the answer to that question. Does anyone out there?

EFBAB

Al Boarland

« Reply #59 on: July 11, 2018, 07:37:14 pm »

One question we need to ask ourselves is "How much influence do high school coaches have on the college choices of their players?" If the answer is a lot, we should be fine. Morris has strong relationships with HS coaches all over Texas and with his clinics and open door policy for visiting coaches is (re)building relationships in Arkansas and even parts of Oklahoma. Based on that premise players we want will come. If the answer is not a lot, we will have good relationships with a lot of coaches but fewer players that we want. Instead we'll be getting diamonds in the rough other teams aren't focusing on. I don't know the answer to that question. Does anyone out there?

EFBAB
Relationships won’t be enough. Guys and their families aren’t going to pass up money, jobs and other benefits from those willing to provide them. Not to mention the money coaches and other handlers get paid to funnel players to a school.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #60 on: July 11, 2018, 07:40:45 pm »

I don't think anyone would characterize "killing it" by  getting 3 stars. If the majority of your class os comprised of 3 stars you don't have much of a shot.

Keeping with the original post, if you are comparing to Oklahoma who has attained a lot greater national prestige, reputation and respect than we have over the years, in the last 16 years between 2002-2017, Oklahoma signed 11-5 stars (.07 p/yr), 55-4 stars (3.4 p/yr), 82-3 stars (5.1 p/yr) and 4-2 stars (0.3 p/year) over that period of time. That's just out of Texas. You could say that the majority of the kids they signed out of Texas were 3 stars. Not by much, but still, the majority.

Boardon Hamsay

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Eponymous Keeper of the War Damn Mockingbird Unis
« Reply #61 on: July 11, 2018, 07:40:46 pm »

Maybe the key to improving our recruiting ranking is to simply invade, purchase, and/or otherwise annex to the state of Arkansas, key recruiting areas.

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs and Go Mike Anderson!
« Reply #62 on: July 11, 2018, 07:43:59 pm »

Maybe the key to improving our recruiting ranking is to simply invade, purchase, and/or otherwise annex to the state of Arkansas, key recruiting areas.
We could rename Louisiana, Baja Arkansas.

Boardon Hamsay

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #63 on: July 11, 2018, 07:46:49 pm »

We could rename Louisiana, Baja Arkansas.

Good work, Ponderin. This is how we move from the idea stage to the implementation stage of recruiting hotbed, land acquisition and annexation. We should probably start sending appraisers on some key recruiting trips.

Knot2brite

« Reply #64 on: July 11, 2018, 08:50:30 pm »

Whenever I think of recruiting like OU I think “Hookers and Blow”....guess that’s what I get for growing up when Switzer was the OU coach

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs and Go Mike Anderson!
« Reply #65 on: July 11, 2018, 09:06:40 pm »

Good work, Ponderin. This is how we move from the idea stage to the implementation stage of recruiting hotbed, land acquisition and annexation. We should probably start sending appraisers on some key recruiting trips.
I can't decide between Arklahoma or the old tried and truly historical Arkansas Territory.

Texarkansas should serve us well.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #66 on: July 11, 2018, 09:13:59 pm »

Whenever I think of recruiting like OU I think “Hookers and Blow”....guess that’s what I get for growing up when Switzer was the OU coach

Recruiting like OU? Maybe that means being a tad smarter about how you recruit a kid.

There was a story from a few years ago when Mack Brown was still the HC at Texas about a kid that was a D-Lineman that "everyone" wanted. Texas brought him to a party at someones home (booster or coach unknown) and apparently there was a pretty wild party going on complete with Texas Co-Ed's and some hired strippers. Several recruits were invited. What the Texas recruiting staff apparently didn't understand was that this particular D-Line recruit was truly devout in his Christian faith because of his Mother. He came back from this recruiting visit totally turned off about Texas.

The former Oklahoma D-Line Coach had taken the time to actually get to know and understand this kid and where he was coming from as a person. His recruiting visit to Oklahoma entailed the facilities, the educational assistance and the program itself, along with a quiet dinner with the staff that discussed his potential in a program like Oklahoma. No strippers allowed.

Guess which school he attended? Oklahoma, though he hailed from Texas. Momma approved. Texas, not so much. Huge error on the part of Texas.

I love seeing Texas fail.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 05:00:32 am by MuskogeeHogFan »

Boardon Hamsay

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #67 on: July 11, 2018, 09:15:39 pm »

I can't decide between Arklahoma or the old tried and truly historical Arkansas Territory.

I think we leave the Arkansas part as is and just snatch the addition land. Looks like we have good legal precedent to do so....

hawgfan4life

« Reply #68 on: July 11, 2018, 09:33:10 pm »

Agreed, but I would add Memphis to that list.  Even recruiting those areas higher in priority, recruiting in GA and in FL is critical.  Not as much as specific numbers of recruits, but getting targets of opportunity, keeping a visual presence, and being able to pick up a few quality recruits where we may be gambling in these other areas.

Hawghiggs

« Reply #69 on: July 11, 2018, 09:34:06 pm »

Agree on the first four, but what about Oklahoma, Mississippi and Tennessee?  Tulsa and Memphis especially.  The further you get by road from Fayetteville the tougher it gets.

Tulsa is fine. But those three are mostly a waste of resources for the most part. We get a few good ones every once in awhile.

hawgfan4life

« Reply #70 on: July 11, 2018, 09:46:11 pm »

Check the metro area sizes of those hotbeds. The DFW metro area is about the same size as St. Louis, Kansas City, Memphis, Tulsa and Shreveport combined. Therefore it needs to be a priority.

I agree that TX has to be a priority and I would say it needs to take precedent to those other areas, but it is insane to think we are going to simply go into TX and sign all we need that we don't get in Arkansas.  The areas I mentioned are regional to AR and some are very close such as KC and Tulsa.  We don't have to invest a lot to recruit those areas and keep a strong presence.  Simply getting a few recruits from these areas each year could be the difference in good and great.  Same goes for Atlanta metroplex that has tons of talent.  We can jet to Atlanta, hit a ton of talent, and be home that same day just as easily as going to just about anywhere in TX more than 50 miles outside of DFW and Houston. 

jvanhorn

« Reply #71 on: July 12, 2018, 02:56:05 am »

If we follow that OU recruiting pattern of years ago we would have to start paying recruits.........

OH PLEASE, QUIT BEATING A DEAD HORSE.  SHOW ME PROOF THAT STOOPS OR RILEY PAYED ANY RECRUITS.  KINGSBURY RAN MAYFIELD OFF AT TEXAS TECH DO YOU THINK STOOPS HAD A SAY IN THAT.  ENVY IS SUCH AN UGLY THING.  OU HAS BEEN A NATIONALY RECOGNIZED FOOTBALL PROGRAM SINCE BUD WILKINSON SO WE ARE BASICALLY TALKING ABOUT 75 YEARS.

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
  • You like my stripes, I know you do.
« Reply #72 on: July 12, 2018, 09:49:16 am »

Keeping with the original post, if you are comparing to Oklahoma who has attained a lot greater national prestige, reputation and respect than we have over the years, in the last 16 years between 2002-2017, Oklahoma signed 11-5 stars (.07 p/yr), 55-4 stars (3.4 p/yr), 82-3 stars (5.1 p/yr) and 4-2 stars (0.3 p/year) over that period of time. That's just out of Texas. You could say that the majority of the kids they signed out of Texas were 3 stars. Not by much, but still, the majority.

But what else are they getting? Arkansas can sign 3 star kids all day long from TX/AR/Mis/LA/Bama/GA/Ok and just about anywhere else, because there are so many kids rated as 3 star. Only rarely do these kids turn out to be underrated game changing type players.

(notOM)Rebel123

« Reply #73 on: July 12, 2018, 10:17:36 am »

OH PLEASE, QUIT BEATING A DEAD HORSE.  SHOW ME PROOF THAT STOOPS OR RILEY PAYED ANY RECRUITS.  KINGSBURY RAN MAYFIELD OFF AT TEXAS TECH DO YOU THINK STOOPS HAD A SAY IN THAT.  ENVY IS SUCH AN UGLY THING.  OU HAS BEEN A NATIONALY RECOGNIZED FOOTBALL PROGRAM SINCE BUD WILKINSON SO WE ARE BASICALLY TALKING ABOUT 75 YEARS.

no need to yell....

PharmacistHog

• Global Moderator
  • Gameday Goon
« Reply #74 on: July 12, 2018, 11:39:25 am »

Can get bazzel to draw up the map. 

elksnort

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Lucy, 10-11-2004 - 10-30-2015
« Reply #75 on: July 12, 2018, 12:42:44 pm »

Maybe it was hyperbole but it wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't.

People do the same thing when discussing the number of Texas kids at The University of Arkansas.  They claim that the vast majority of our students are from Texas.  As of the last report only 5,868 of the 27,558 total student population are from Texas.  The majority of our students are still Arkansans (14,323).

https://oir.uark.edu/students/enrollment-state.php

In regards to recruiting Texas.  They should be prioritized toward the top.  However, we still need to pull from Louisiana and chase after some highly regarded recruits elsewhere. Texas is full of talent but plenty of other schools recruit them.  We would be getting some lower level talent for us to recruit 80% from Texas.
Interesting, not sure what source specifically, but I understood that 65% of UofA was from Texas. Guess I heard incorrectly.

elksnort

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #76 on: July 12, 2018, 12:48:52 pm »

Serious question:

Do they coach, play and produce very good to great defensive players in Texas high school football?

Compared to Florida, Alabama, Georgia and Louisiana.

HeathWimp

• AKA "Frank's Slap Rendition Camp"
« Reply #77 on: July 12, 2018, 01:09:22 pm »

Bert nearly killed Texas recruiting for us.

One thing Morris has going for him is the ability to take at least some chances on marginal candidates.  Bielema, of course, would only recruit choir boys.  This was explained as part of rebuilding Arkansas's reputation after Petrino, but in reality was a ready-made excuse which allowed Bert to be lazy in recruiting.

AirWarren

• Uncommonly, Unfinished Business.
« Reply #78 on: July 12, 2018, 01:21:46 pm »

Serious question:

Do they coach, play and produce very good to great defensive players in Texas high school football?

Von Miller has been pretty good. Out of DeSoto, Texas.

Just one, but I’m sure there are plenty.

SPAL

• Administrator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • I like Big Mike and I cannot lie
« Reply #79 on: July 12, 2018, 01:33:43 pm »

Tommie Harris and Dusty dvorchek were both from Texas that I remember playing g for the stacked OU defense in the early 2000's.

Al Boarland

« Reply #80 on: July 12, 2018, 02:21:54 pm »

Serious question:

It's a little more like 7-on-7, but that doesn't mean there aren't a few physical players.

DuvallFallsHog1975

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #81 on: July 12, 2018, 02:54:06 pm »

I sure hope recruiting improves.   Can't be much worse than it was under Bulimia.

RyanMallettsEgo

• No, no, no, don't think of it as work.
« Reply #82 on: July 12, 2018, 03:02:02 pm »

I sure hope recruiting improves.   Can't be much worse than it was under Bulimia.

Rankings-wise, Bielema improved our recruiting compared to Petrino.

So. There's that.

DuvallFallsHog1975

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #83 on: July 12, 2018, 03:06:24 pm »

So. There's that.

Despite the fact that Bielema is recruiting at a much higher clip than the previous staffs, it is not reflected in the Razorbacks’ standing in the conference.

Bielema’s classes have an average ranking of 10th in the SEC, which is worst than Petrino (8.8) and Nutt (8).

One reason for that could be the SEC’s recent expansion from 12 teams to 14 teams. All of Nutt’s classes and all but Petrino’s final class were signed before Missouri and Texas A&M joined the conference.

The expansion does explain some, but we should be able to recruit with Mizzou.

wildturkey8

« Reply #84 on: July 12, 2018, 03:11:46 pm »

So. There's that.
I do not think Bielema recruited better than Petrino or Nutt.  I rank them based on what I see on the field. Too much internet recruiting as Bobby Bowden said.

Al Boarland

« Reply #85 on: July 12, 2018, 03:15:50 pm »

Despite the fact that Bielema is recruiting at a much higher clip than the previous staffs, it is not reflected in the Razorbacks’ standing in the conference.

Bielema’s classes have an average ranking of 10th in the SEC, which is worst than Petrino (8.8) and Nutt (8).

One reason for that could be the SEC’s recent expansion from 12 teams to 14 teams. All of Nutt’s classes and all but Petrino’s final class were signed before Missouri and Texas A&M joined the conference.

The expansion does explain some, but we should be able to recruit with Mizzou.

Teams are more talented in the conference now than they were during Nutt and Petrino from a recruiting ranking perspective.  Not only did the league expand.  The MS schools also increased their recruiting profile.

RyanMallettsEgo

• No, no, no, don't think of it as work.
« Reply #86 on: July 12, 2018, 03:19:56 pm »

I do not think Bielema recruited better than Petrino or Nutt.  I rank them based on what I see on the field. Too much internet recruiting as Bobby Bowden said.

Who says the players and talent Bielema recruited isn't better than that of Petrino? It very well could be.

It could also very well be that Bielema can't coach for darn and can't develop. That doesn't mean he didn't recruit better players and more talent than Petrino.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #87 on: July 12, 2018, 03:28:26 pm »

You do realize OU had a reputation for recruiting cheating under Bud don’t you. Why you would bring up that name is hilarious. Also under other coaches as well. They even got the basketball team this century as well as the football team. So I guess it’s an equal opportunity cheating place. Heck even the mascot is a cheater name! There is nothing to envy about OU or Oklahoma. I’ve lived and worked there. One of the worst states I’ve ever worked in. I will admit there are some good people there. That’s true anywhere though. OU arrogance is damn near as bad as the tea sippers.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 07:45:43 am by Inhogswetrust »

TuckerHog

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #88 on: July 12, 2018, 05:52:31 pm »

I would say no, right now we need to concentrate on these four star players from in-state like Henry, Burks, Thomas  and Wilkins.  We need kids from Texas but we MUST have our best in-state kids to be legit.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #89 on: July 12, 2018, 06:13:31 pm »

But what else are they getting? Arkansas can sign 3 star kids all day long from TX/AR/Mis/LA/Bama/GA/Ok and just about anywhere else, because there are so many kids rated as 3 star. Only rarely do these kids turn out to be underrated game changing type players.

I just listed in detail what else they are getting and that's just from Texas.

11-5 stars: 7.3% of total signed
55-4 stars: 36.7% of total signed
82-3 stars: 54.7% of total signed
2-2 stars:   1.3% of total signed

7.3% of 85 = 6.2
36.7% of 85 = 31.2
54.7% of 85 = 46.5
1.3% of 85 =  1.1

That's the average composition of an 85 scholarship limit in any given year. I'd take that, wouldn't you? That would make 44% of your roster be comprised of 5 and 4 stars.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 06:31:28 pm by MuskogeeHogFan »

DLUXHOG

• It'll feel better when it quits hurtin'
« Reply #90 on: July 12, 2018, 06:16:21 pm »

OU has a national brand, and recruit nation wide. Take a look at the 2019 class of commits they have.... already have 4 commits for 2020

And....  who built them into a national brand?   They haven’t been one forever...

TuckerHog

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #91 on: July 12, 2018, 06:22:53 pm »

And....  who built them into a national brand?   They haven’t been one forever...
What the?  Eh,, Bud Wilkinson?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 07:42:26 pm by TuckerHog »

elksnort

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #92 on: July 12, 2018, 09:48:49 pm »

Ultimately, the state needs to produce more players. 

Wonder if in state juco would help?

urkillnmesmalls

• Experience: You get it just after you needed it!
« Reply #93 on: July 12, 2018, 10:25:39 pm »

I would say no, right now we need to concentrate on these four star players from in-state like Henry, Burks, Thomas  and Wilkins.  We need kids from Texas but we MUST have our best in-state kids to be legit.

It really is critical that we get the best in state talent.  I realize we can't field a competitive team with kids from Arkansas only, but we have to get the ones that are SEC worthy. 

If you think back...what would our teams have been without Matt Jones, DMAC, JJ Wright, Joe Adams, H Henry, Morgan, etc?  So many times the difference makers on our teams are kids from Arkansas, so we can't let them get away. 

(notOM)Rebel123

« Reply #94 on: July 13, 2018, 06:24:20 am »

Ultimately, the state needs to produce more players. 

Wonder if in state juco would help?

If the LR area Public Schools could start producing a few more players, that would be a big boost.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #95 on: July 13, 2018, 07:48:04 am »

If the LR area Public Schools could start producing a few more players, that would be a big boost.

True but they have more important things to worry about than football. The problem is they have been worried about those same things for decades and it hasn’t improved. Therefore might as well concentrate on sports. They sure can’t fix the other aspects.

elksnort

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #96 on: July 13, 2018, 08:02:57 am »

True but they have more important things to worry about than football. The problem is they have been worried about those same things for decades and it hasn’t improved. Therefore might as well concentrate on sports. They sure can’t fix the other aspects.
Sports can help other parts of life.
Get the kids off of the street with some structure and leadership.
Of course you probably know this. No big revelation.

Grizzlyfan

« Reply #97 on: July 13, 2018, 09:25:52 am »

For purposes of this discussion it really has been forever.  Back to the 50's with Wilkinson.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

• Hogville Executive Consulting LLC
« Reply #98 on: July 13, 2018, 10:49:33 am »

A four star from Texas doesn't play any better than a four star from Missouri, Tenn., Bama or Florida.  It doesn't matter where they come from.  I'll be the first to admit we have a better chance of getting a four star from Texas than we do from Fla because of proximity.  Given Morris's ties to the area it becomes even more likely.   Doens't mean you stop recruiting nationwide, but there are only some many hours in a day so you have to focus where you think you have the best shot.  And for this staff, that is Texas.  But I can assure you they are not giving up on those other states either.

I disagree. That's like saying a 5 star restaurant in time square is equal to a 5 star restaurant in junction city AR.

MajorWeewe

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #99 on: July 13, 2018, 11:19:47 am »

He’s going to get it done, Tx. has no magical connotation other than population. But look at Oceola, Bama never passes on a look. He has an “in” there in Tx.
Let roll downhill in Tx for all she’s worth and everywhere with Morris
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas