• 395,957 Topics
• 22,375 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Many are saying we need to recruit like OU does  (Read 4350 times)

nwahogfan1

Many are saying we need to recruit like OU does
« on: July 11, 2018, 09:02:51 am »

and the last time I checked the OU roster they have over 80% of scholarship players from Texas. 

Should we start signing 15+ from Texas?    I do not care where they come from but I do think we need more kids from Texas because they are so close and because Morris and many on his staff have so many great ties to that state.

justmakeit2thebcs

Re: Many are saying we need to recruit like OU does
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2018, 09:07:34 am »

Who are the "many" you speak of? If they are on this message board, I would do the opposite, given the average football IQ here.

http://www.soonersports.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=31000&SPID=127245&SPSID=750326

I count 29 (only counted once)out of 94 from Texas...nowhere near 80%

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

luke hawg

• Senior
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2018, 09:18:15 am »

I'd say closer to 40 percent for us with that number decreasing if we can win enough to recruit nationally.

NaturalStateReb

• Czar of Arkansas
  • Administrator
  • Hall of Fame Hogvillian
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2018, 09:21:47 am »

Arkansas has to be a recruiting presence along the I-30 corridor.  The state doesn't produce enough D-1 talent to depend on, and Texas is the closest recruiting hotbed.

RyanMallettsEgo

• All-American Hogvillian
  • See if you can guess...what I am now
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2018, 09:25:07 am »

Who are the "many" you speak of? If they are on this message board, I would do the opposite, given the average football IQ here.

http://www.soonersports.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=31000&SPID=127245&SPSID=750326

I count 29 (only counted once)out of 94 from Texas...nowhere near 80%

Yeah I counted 30 on a quick run through.

That's roughly 32%. Definitely not 80%.

ThatGUY

• Varsity
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2018, 09:25:56 am »

OU has a national brand, and recruit nation wide. Take a look at the 2019 class of commits they have.... already have 4 commits for 2020

justmakeit2thebcs

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2018, 09:31:03 am »

A four star from Texas doesn't play any better than a four star from Missouri, Tenn., Bama or Florida.  It doesn't matter where they come from.  I'll be the first to admit we have a better chance of getting a four star from Texas than we do from Fla because of proximity.  Given Morris's ties to the area it becomes even more likely.   Doens't mean you stop recruiting nationwide, but there are only some many hours in a day so you have to focus where you think you have the best shot.  And for this staff, that is Texas.  But I can assure you they are not giving up on those other states either.

redleg

• Senior
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2018, 09:39:13 am »

Arkansas needs to get back to recruiting their core areas...Arkansas, Texas, Memphis, Tulsa, Louisiana, some in Mississippi and Missouri, and a few Juco players. In a great year, the Hogs will sign about 8 in-state recruits. In those years, they should be signing about 8 from Texas as well. In down years in-state where they only sign 4 or 5, they should be getting 10-12 from Texas. If Arkansas can build up the program using it's core area recruits, and get the program back to where it could/should be (competing for the SEC West on a yearly basis), recruits from outside the core regions will take notice.
To paraphrase Nolan Richardson, "Once you build the program into a monster, you have to keep feeding it."
If Morris and his staff can use Arkansas and Texas players to build it, the recruits will come.

HF#1

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2018, 09:41:34 am »

Arkansas has to be a recruiting presence along the I-30 corridor.  The state doesn't produce enough D-1 talent to depend on, and Texas is the closest recruiting hotbed.

Louisiana

nwahogfan1

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2018, 09:47:13 am »

I do have to admit that it was several years ago when I did my checking but assumed OU was still following the same pattern.  But I see where they are recruiting more nationally particularly in California.   I think this is because of their current national success.

I should back up what I said above by asking should we follow the OU pattern of several years ago by recruiting more Texas kids until we can become a national power and can recruit better nationally?  I agree a 4 star is a 4 star no matter the state but until we start having success I just do not see many of these kids jumping on board.  We are right next door to Texas and our coaches have a huge influence in the state so maybe we should sign where ever we have our chances of being successful. 

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2018, 10:13:22 am »

I do have to admit that it was several years ago when I did my checking but assumed OU was still following the same pattern.  But I see where they are recruiting more nationally particularly in California.   I think this is because of their current national success.

I should back up what I said above by asking should we follow the OU pattern of several years ago by recruiting more Texas kids until we can become a national power and can recruit better nationally?  I agree a 4 star is a 4 star no matter the state but until we start having success I just do not see many of these kids jumping on board.  We are right next door to Texas and our coaches have a huge influence in the state so maybe we should sign where ever we have our chances of being successful. 

If we follow that OU recruiting pattern of years ago we would have to start paying recruits.........

Al Boarland

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2018, 10:16:57 am »

and the last time I checked the OU roster they have over 80% of scholarship players from Texas. 

Should we start signing 15+ from Texas?    I do not care where they come from but I do think we need more kids from Texas because they are so close and because Morris and many on his staff have so many great ties to that state.

I believe the theory is that Morris' relationships in Texas will allow him to find hidden gems that are underrated by recruiting services and convince them to come to the UofA.

hawgon

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2018, 10:19:47 am »

I believe the theory is that Morris' relationships in Texas will allow him to find hidden gems that are underrated by recruiting services and convince them to come to the UofA.

I doubt he can build a whole program on that, but I have no doubt that he will get some nice players that are in fact under the radar.

Al Boarland

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2018, 10:24:49 am »

I doubt he can build a whole program on that, but I have no doubt that he will get some nice players that are in fact under the radar.

On the recruiting forum I started a thread inquiring which players are viewed as underrated.  5 of our 9 current commits were listed.  55.5% is a pretty high percentage.  However, I would tend to agree with you.

oldman1015

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2018, 10:25:45 am »

If we follow that OU recruiting pattern of years ago we would have to start paying recruits.........
There is the answer. You get what you pay for in life.

redleg

• Senior
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2018, 10:28:18 am »

Often times, because of the talent level and competition level in Texas, a 3* Texas player is equal to a 4* player from Arkansas, or Oklahoma, or Missouri, or Kansas, etc. I believe that Morris knows what he is doing, and knows that Texas is a vital pipeline to making the Hogs a Top 25 (or better) program again. Should he and his staff do their best to get any in-state player they offer? Of course! Arkansas recruits are the frontline of the program! But recent years have not been kind. Kids these days do not show the kind of loyalty that most high school recruits showed in the 60s, 70s, and 80s. There were a few that got away (Keith Jackson), but 9 times out of 10 an Arkansas kid was going to play for the Hogs. That is not guaranteed today. The sad fact is, a vast majority of the in-state players that are offered by Arkansas, but then chose to go out of state, and more specifically to an SEC rival, have not faired very well at all! They either disappear at that school (buried on the depth chart), are moved to a new position where they don't do as well, end up transferring to a smaller school, or get kicked off the team.
KJ Hill has done pretty well, but he's at Ohio St, not an SEC rival school. Zac Brooks went to Clemson, but he didn't really do much on the field for them. Josh Frazier won a national title at Bama, but he didn't get to play much at all until he was a senior, and even then he wasn't a full time starter. Kodi Burns ended up being switched from QB to safety at Auburn, and didn't do anything significant. Michael Dyer started great at Auburn, then got the boot, and never recovered. The same for Dakota Mosley. Keihl Frazier started hot for AU, but then fizzled and transferred. Derek Johnson went to Texas and disappeared. Altee Tenpenny (RIP) was wasted at Bama, then transferred. Then there is Broderick Greene. He signs with USC, then transfers back home to Arkansas, and ends up being a key cog in 2010 and 2011.
Lee Zeimba is one that started at Auburn from day one and did very well.
I'll be curious to see what Akial Byers does at Mizzou. Right now he's buried on their depth chart.
I'll also be curious to see if Gerry Bohanon does anything at Baylor.
2008 was the last truly great in-state class, where all of the players that were offered by Arkansas all signed with the Hogs. They only won 29 games in three years, won 2 bowl games, and finished their senior season 11-2 and ranked #5.

hawgon

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2018, 10:36:45 am »

On the recruiting forum I started a thread inquiring which players are viewed as underrated.  5 of our 9 current commits were listed.  55.5% is a pretty high percentage.  However, I would tend to agree with you.

It’s kind of a momentum thing too.  A few of those underrated guys turn out well, and before you know it, you are getting guys from the same places who are definitely NOT underrated.

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2018, 10:48:12 am »

I feel confident this staff will get the number of players from Texas they want in each class. 

Here is thing that makes OU different: they have one program in their conference who can recruit on a consistently elite level with them and that is Texas.  They have a huge recruiting advantage over most of their conference and their brand is as strong as Texas' when it comes to their region.  Texas, A&M and OU will get most of the top players in Texas.  We cannot really follow their model.  We are focusing more on Texas again with Morris which is good.  Our way of doing it is just going to have to be more of a blend.  Be a top choice vs the secondary programs recruiting Texas: Ok St, TCU, TT, Baylor, Az, Az St and everyone else who tries and raid the state.  Al's right in identifying players and Morris' connections in state should really help with that.  What I've been pleasantly pleased with is Morris knows he must recruit the rest of the Deep South in addition to East Texas.  His time at Clemson should be valuable in his connections to the region, knowledge of it and experience in seeing first hand the type of athletes needed to compete with programs at the top of the SEC.  Assts like Chavis, Caldwell and Cooper with so much experience in this region. The I10 - I20 north to I40 corridor is where almost every NC this century recruits.  Texas to Fl/Ga.  Oh St and USC the exceptions.  Must have a presence in the entire region if we are going to consistently compete in the SEC.  The new staff is off to a good start doing this based on how the last class finished and the current one. 

Nashville Fan

• Welcome to next year!
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2018, 10:52:58 am »

Often times, because of the talent level and competition level in Texas, a 3* Texas player is equal to a 4* player from Arkansas, or Oklahoma, or Missouri, or Kansas, etc.
I don't think that is how the recruit rankings work anymore. If it did every state would have 1 5 star.

urkillnmesmalls

• Experience: You get it just after you needed it!
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2018, 11:07:06 am »

I don't think it's a secret...Morris has to find some diamonds in the rough, get a little lucky with some playmakers and difference makers, and find a way to win some a few games no one is expecting us to win in these first two years.  That will raise eyebrows, and give us a crack at getting the TX kids that might otherwise lean toward staying closer to home and going to one of the PAC 12 schools, or TAMU.  And as the thread says....OK will be in there vying for their best as well, and they have a very positive recent history to build off of, and would arguably be the biggest threat at the moment. 

He's got a tough road, and I'm sure he knows that.  I don't think we are going to land the talent needed to compete strongly in the SEC...UNTIL we win at a higher clip.  That's what makes it so tough for Morris.  He's got to defy the odds to make this thing successful, and I think if any Hog fan doesn't think that's true, they're fooling themselves a little. 

I'm knocking on 50's door, so I've been a fan a long time.  I think if you're a fan dating back to the 60's and 70's, there's still the perception that we can do that again. Maybe we can...but times have changed a LOT since then, and it's infinitely tougher to get top talent to your school.  If Morris can win, and put some kids in the NFL...then I think we have a chance to step up in recruiting, and regain prominence.  If he loses to teams we should beat like Bielema, and doesn't succeed by year 3...I don't really want to think about that.   :-X

tusked

• Clapton is god....but SRV was the big bang!
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2018, 11:15:30 am »

I think the hogs should start to recruit Mars.  I heard their speed is amazing.

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2018, 11:19:39 am »

I don't think it's a secret...Morris has to find some diamonds in the rough, get a little lucky with some playmakers and difference makers, and find a way to win some a few games no one is expecting us to win in these first two years.  That will raise eyebrows, and give us a crack at getting the TX kids that might otherwise lean toward staying closer to home and going to one of the PAC 12 schools, or TAMU.  And as the thread says....OK will be in there vying for their best as well, and they have a very positive recent history to build off of, and would arguably be the biggest threat at the moment. 

He's got a tough road, and I'm sure he knows that.  I don't think we are going to land the talent needed to compete strongly in the SEC...UNTIL we win at a higher clip.  That's what makes it so tough for Morris.  He's got to defy the odds to make this thing successful, and I think if any Hog fan doesn't think that's true, they're fooling themselves a little. 

I'm knocking on 50's door, so I've been a fan a long time.  I think if you're a fan dating back to the 60's and 70's, there's still the perception that we can do that again. Maybe we can...but times have changed a LOT since then, and it's infinitely tougher to get top talent to your school.  If Morris can win, and put some kids in the NFL...then I think we have a chance to step up in recruiting, and regain prominence.  If he loses to teams we should beat like Bielema, and doesn't succeed by year 3...I don't really want to think about that.   :-X

I think the luck is going to have to come in the form of rare talents and probably from in state.  Something Bielema never got.  Morris seems to have enough of the carsalesman marketing personality to take advantage in recruiting if he gets that break. 

Often times, because of the talent level and competition level in Texas, a 3* Texas player is equal to a 4* player from Arkansas, or Oklahoma, or Missouri, or Kansas, etc. 

May be something in the opposite direction too.  Texas kids due to coaching, facilities, S&C etc. are developed so well they may be closer to their ceilings coming out of high school in some instances than kids from lesser quality high school football states.  You drive through Texas or rural Ga or Alabama and you'll find remarkable facilities in the middle of nowhere.  We have to get lucky in some cases in Arkansas kids, or Mo KS Ok kids we take, developing into more than their projections.  Takes solid evaluations/projections of what kids could become and luck.

DeltaBoy

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I'm Un-Reconstructed. Sic semper tyrannis
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2018, 11:32:50 am »

Morris will do fine he knows where to look.

Al Boarland

« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2018, 11:34:42 am »

+1.  The window is so small to really increase the recruiting profile with a long list of challenges.

PharmacistHog

• Global Moderator
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2018, 11:41:15 am »

No.  The theory is that his relationships in Texas will give us a better shot at landing some of the high profile players, not just "hidden gems". 

Al Boarland

« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2018, 11:47:21 am »

No.  The theory is that his relationships in Texas will give us a better shot at landing some of the high profile players, not just "hidden gems".

He's going to have to win a lot of games soon for it to work, IMO.  You'd have to reasonably expect the UofA to fall, at best, 3rd in the pecking order of the TX schools.  However, so much of recruiting is about relationships. That and the more shady side of recruiting.

PharmacistHog

• Global Moderator
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2018, 11:49:47 am »

He's going to have to win a lot of games soon for it to work, IMO.  You'd have to reasonably expect the UofA to fall, at best, 3rd in the pecking order of the TX schools.  However, so much of recruiting is about relationships. That and the more shady side of recruiting.

I don't necessarily think he has to win a lot of games early.  If he can make a bowl this season, be competitive in most the losses, and have an exciting and entertaining offense, I bet recruiting takes off really fast. 

Al Boarland

« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2018, 11:51:57 am »

I don't necessarily think he has to win a lot of games early.  If he can make a bowl this season, be competitive in most the losses, and have an exciting and entertaining offense, I bet recruiting takes off really fast.

I would agree, but also throw in that other teams would have to struggle and not do those same things.

urkillnmesmalls

• Experience: You get it just after you needed it!
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2018, 11:56:55 am »

I sincerely hope that is true, and we'll see.  I still think winning will help his cause more than anything else, because without that, relationships are only going to get you so far. 

"Come to OK.  We'll be vying for a NC every year or two and we've got stars in the NFL.  Our facilities are second to none, and our tradition and fans are outstanding." 

"Come to AR and help us get things turned around and back to our tradition of winning.  You'll likely play very early on, and we've got great facilities."

Uphill battle....

factchecker

• RAZORBACKS OR NOTHING!
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2018, 12:02:15 pm »

Yeah I counted 30 on a quick run through.

That's roughly 32%. Definitely not 80%.

Maybe it was hyperbole but it wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't.

People do the same thing when discussing the number of Texas kids at The University of Arkansas.  They claim that the vast majority of our students are from Texas.  As of the last report only 5,868 of the 27,558 total student population are from Texas.  The majority of our students are still Arkansans (14,323).

https://oir.uark.edu/students/enrollment-state.php

In regards to recruiting Texas.  They should be prioritized toward the top.  However, we still need to pull from Louisiana and chase after some highly regarded recruits elsewhere. Texas is full of talent but plenty of other schools recruit them.  We would be getting some lower level talent for us to recruit 80% from Texas.

hawgfan4life

« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2018, 12:13:41 pm »

Kansas City is a hotbed, Tulsa is a hotbed, St Louis is a hotbed, Memphis is a hotbed, Shreveport is a hotbed.  Coaches can fly to Atlanta with minimally more travel time and be in a hotbed of talent.  Coaches can fly into South Florida with only a few more hours of travel time and be in a hotbed of talent.  Texas may border the SW corner of the state, but most of Texas is not closer than the areas I mentioned nor is traveling to those areas significantly shorter when you start getting out of the DFW and Houston metro.  Recruiting Northern LA is not much different than recruiting East Texas.  Recruiting KC and St Louis is quicker than flying to Texas.  It not as cut and dried as many keep wanting to make it sound.  Additionally, virtually every top 100 program is trying to dip into Texas.  It isn't like we can go into Texas and take our pick because there are dozens of elite players left over after the top tier programs have had their fill.

PharmacistHog

• Global Moderator
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2018, 12:15:02 pm »

I sincerely hope that is true, and we'll see.  I still think winning will help his cause more than anything else, because without that, relationships are only going to get you so far. 

"Come to OK.  We'll be vying for a NC every year or two and we've got stars in the NFL.  Our facilities are second to none, and our tradition and fans are outstanding." 

"Come to AR and help us get things turned around and back to our tradition of winning.  You'll likely play very early on, and we've got great facilities."

Uphill battle....

Its definitely an uphill battle.  It would be an uphill battle no matter who we hired, but having a coach with connections in Texas SHOULD help to some extent.  The high school coaches are in the players ears' and many times been mentors to the players so it should carry a lot of weight for a kids coach to say "I know this guy and he will take care of you". 

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2018, 12:37:16 pm »

Kansas City is a hotbed, Tulsa is a hotbed, St Louis is a hotbed, Memphis is a hotbed, Shreveport is a hotbed.  Coaches can fly to Atlanta with minimally more travel time and be in a hotbed of talent.  Coaches can fly into South Florida with only a few more hours of travel time and be in a hotbed of talent.  Texas may border the SW corner of the state, but most of Texas is not closer than the areas I mentioned nor is traveling to those areas significantly shorter when you start getting out of the DFW and Houston metro.  Recruiting Northern LA is not much different than recruiting East Texas.  Recruiting KC and St Louis is quicker than flying to Texas.  It not as cut and dried as many keep wanting to make it sound.  Additionally, virtually every top 100 program is trying to dip into Texas.  It isn't like we can go into Texas and take our pick because there are dozens of elite players left over after the top tier programs have had their fill.

Check the metro area sizes of those hotbeds. The DFW metro area is about the same size as St. Louis, Kansas City, Memphis, Tulsa and Shreveport combined. Therefore it needs to be a priority.

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
  • You like my stripes, I know you do.
« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2018, 12:43:24 pm »

Its definitely an uphill battle.  It would be an uphill battle no matter who we hired, but having a coach with connections in Texas SHOULD help to some extent.  The high school coaches are in the players ears' and many times been mentors to the players so it should carry a lot of weight for a kids coach to say "I know this guy and he will take care of you". 

Was listening to some show last week, and they said that Morris average distance for a recruit at SMU in his last class was only like 219 miles. I realize he had a lot more talent to choose from in that distance around Dallas, but man that won't get it here.

Hog Fan from Camden

« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2018, 12:46:57 pm »

I think we will need both a few high profile and "hidden gem" types to make ends meet.

Mo_Better_Hogs

• DE FENSE!! DE FENSE!!
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2018, 12:50:18 pm »

I'm all for taking a chance on a couple in the hidden gem category. But yeah, the idea is that Morris can/hopefully will attract a number of players in that top tier. The 4+star guys that the Horns and Aggies are after.

hawganatic

• Senior
« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2018, 12:51:01 pm »

Should we start signing 15+ from Texas?   

So just to be clear, should it be 15+ quality players, or are we just trying to hit a quota for Texas?

NaturalStateReb

• Czar of Arkansas
  • Administrator
« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2018, 01:08:50 pm »

Louisiana

Realistically, Arkansas isn't going to kill it in Louisiana.  Most of those recruits are down in South Louisiana.  If they're in the ArkLaTex area, then sure, but otherwise I don't see Arkansas being a major presence in the New Orleans/coastal area.  Texas in any given year will produce 2 to 4 times the number of blue chip players that Louisiana will (Arkansas is 22nd on that list, https://www.sbnation.com/college-football-recruiting/2016/6/28/12040586/rankings-state-stars-florida-texas-california). 

LSU may get most of 12 big stars, but Texas can't sign 47.  Culturally and logistically, Arkansas stands a better chance in East Texas.

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs and Go Mike Anderson!
« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2018, 01:10:05 pm »

So just to be clear, should it be 15+ quality players, or are we just trying to hit a quota for Texas?
Sounds like our old SWC opponents; 11 players and four refs...

NaturalStateReb

• Czar of Arkansas
  • Administrator
« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2018, 01:15:30 pm »

Nothing about Missouri is a recruiting "hotbed."  If you think Arkansas doesn't produce enough D1 blue chips, Missouri produces even less, even though it has twice the population of Arkansas.  I'm not saying that there aren't good players there, but there aren't as many as the population would suggest. 

Memphis isn't a football hotbed either, although there are some good players there.  Most blue chips come out of the Nashville area--over the past 5 years, only one of the 24/7 composite top 50 players came from West Tennessee, and he came from Jackson.  I'm not saying ignore Memphis, but don't depend on Memphis to materially change your fortunes. 

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2018, 01:16:36 pm »

Realistically, Arkansas isn't going to kill it in Louisiana.  Most of those recruits are down in South Louisiana.  If they're in the ArkLaTex area, then sure, but otherwise I don't see Arkansas being a major presence in the New Orleans/coastal area.  Texas in any given will produce 2 to 4 times the number of blue chip players that Louisiana will (Arkansas is 22nd on that list, https://www.sbnation.com/college-football-recruiting/2016/6/28/12040586/rankings-state-stars-florida-texas-california). 

LSU may get most of 12 big stars, but Texas can't sign 47.  Culturally and logistically, Arkansas stands a better chance in East Texas.

Realistically the Hogs are not going to kill it anywhere in recruiting except in state, and most years there is not enough here for that to make at huge difference. They are not going to go into Texas and get the top players. They can get some really good players, but how many and what positions?

Arkansas never seems to have trouble getting good+ qbs, running backs, te's, Ol, de's or cb's. They always seem to be lacking, either in talent, depth or both,  at LB, safety, and the interior of the DL.

hogmolar

• Senior
« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2018, 01:39:02 pm »

I agree with this.  Someone mentioned in a thread about Tennessee kids that they had 14  Four Stars in their state this next year. That should tell people a lot about the talent in our state.  For 2019 everyone is talking about how great the in state class is and we have 5 Four Star players. Last year the state had 2. 

NaturalStateReb

• Czar of Arkansas
  • Administrator
« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2018, 01:43:53 pm »

Realistically the Hogs are not going to kill it anywhere in recruiting except in state, and most years there is not enough here for that to make at huge difference. They are not going to go into Texas and get the top players. They can get some really good players, but how many and what positions?

Arkansas never seems to have trouble getting good+ qbs, running backs, te's, Ol, de's or cb's. They always seem to be lacking, either in talent, depth or both,  at LB, safety, and the interior of the DL.

Depends on what you think of as "killing it."  Could Arkansas get a sizeable number of 3 star recruits and the occasional 4 star pick up in Texas?  I think that's possible on a fairly consistent basis. 

SSFrazorback

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2018, 01:44:52 pm »

Does the Kansas City area produce a lot of D1 talent? I know it’s not a traditional area for Arkansas but the interstate made it a much shorter drive. A shorter drive than a large portion of Arkansas.

RyanMallettsEgo

• See if you can guess...what I am now
« Reply #44 on: July 11, 2018, 02:02:53 pm »

Maybe it was hyperbole but it wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't.

People do the same thing when discussing the number of Texas kids at The University of Arkansas.  They claim that the vast majority of our students are from Texas.  As of the last report only 5,868 of the 27,558 total student population are from Texas.  The majority of our students are still Arkansans (14,323).

https://oir.uark.edu/students/enrollment-state.php

In regards to recruiting Texas.  They should be prioritized toward the top.  However, we still need to pull from Louisiana and chase after some highly regarded recruits elsewhere. Texas is full of talent but plenty of other schools recruit them.  We would be getting some lower level talent for us to recruit 80% from Texas.

Agree 100% with the bolded.

Also, yeah it's wild how overexaggerated the student body from Texas really is. "The University of Texas-Fayetteville."

Brands like Lone Star Hog don't help.

Nashville Fan

• Welcome to next year!
« Reply #45 on: July 11, 2018, 02:04:21 pm »

TX is a huge opportunity currently. Of their top 50 2017 recruits, TX only recruited 6. Their first recruit was #19.
top 4 recruits were 5 stars
top 5-49 recruits were 4
#50 was a 3 star

OU and TX had 6 to tie for most.
aTm and LSU had 5 to tie for third most
TCU came in 5th with 4.
AR only had 1 recruit in the top 50 - Chevin Calloway from Bishop Dunne.

I think if AR can get into 3rd or 4th spot with TX top 50, they would be a top 25 team.

PharmacistHog

• Global Moderator
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #46 on: July 11, 2018, 02:48:11 pm »

Was listening to some show last week, and they said that Morris average distance for a recruit at SMU in his last class was only like 219 miles. I realize he had a lot more talent to choose from in that distance around Dallas, but man that won't get it here.

You and I both know it is easier to recruit to Arkansas than SMU. 

HogPharmer

« Reply #47 on: July 11, 2018, 02:57:18 pm »

I know of one game specifically that would really help recruiting in Texas if he were to win it.

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #48 on: July 11, 2018, 03:32:00 pm »

You and I both know it is easier to recruit to Arkansas than SMU. 

Yes and no. Gotta go alot farther from campus to recruit to Arkansas the type of players they need to get back to the top 20.

factchecker

• RAZORBACKS OR NOTHING!
« Reply #49 on: July 11, 2018, 03:43:38 pm »

Yes and no. Gotta go alot farther from campus to recruit to Arkansas the type of players they need to get back to the top 20.
Good point.  Even though it's easier to get better recruits to Arkansas - the level of recruits needed to be successful at Arkansas vs. the SEC is much higher.

Lower level schools can win there conference year in and year out while recruiting in the 80s and 90s.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas