• 9,881,138 Posts
• 398,155 Topics
• 22,802 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Next 10 win season  (Read 1792 times)

wonder

• Band Nerd
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Next 10 win season
« on: July 10, 2018, 04:20:44 pm »

Will Coach Morris get 10 wins in his Arkansas tenure and when?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 04:43:10 pm by wonder »

Hogindasticks

Re: Next 10 win season
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2018, 04:36:36 pm »

Yes

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

#hammerdown

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2018, 04:45:42 pm »

Yes.  By 2021

HogPharmer

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2018, 04:49:37 pm »

Yes.  By 2021

Hope we can do it that soon.

DuvallFallsHog1975

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2018, 05:16:53 am »

Hope we can do it that soon.

I agree, that would be a big turnaround from where we are as a program.

DEVIL DOG HOG

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Grandpa's hayride
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2018, 05:28:56 am »

Yes in 2020.

Al Boarland

• All-American Hogvillian
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2018, 05:31:01 am »

We need to hurry before we go to 9 conference games.

HeathWimp

• AKA "Frank's Slap Rendition Camp"
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2018, 09:26:41 am »

I don't see that happening.  His ceiling here is probably 7 wins.

I believe he will be gone after year 3.

redleg

• Senior
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2018, 09:27:07 am »

They'll win 7 in 2018, 8 (maybe 9) in 2019, and 10 in 2020. I believe that Morris will end losing streaks to A&M and Mizzou this year, Miss St and Auburn in 2019, and LSU (maybe this year) and Alabama in 2020.

HeathWimp

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2018, 09:28:17 am »

I believe he will be gone after year 3.  Either run out of town by an impatient fan base, or out on his own accord to salvage his career.  I don't think he'll stick around for 5 mediocre years like Bert did, since that could make him radioactive for several years.

BigE_23

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2018, 09:28:46 am »

Based on what?

HeathWimp

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2018, 09:29:38 am »

Based on what?

Sorry, I was editing my post when you responded.

I think Morris is either run out of town by an impatient fan base, or out on his own accord to salvage his career.  I don't think he'll stick around for 5 mediocre years like Bert did, since that could make him radioactive for several years.

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
  • You like my stripes, I know you do.
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2018, 09:29:56 am »

The next 10 win season will be 2 years after Arkansas signs a class with 8 or 9 players from in state that are 4 or 5 star players, mostly at the skill positions, instead of the normal 3-5. 

razorbackfaninar

• Senior
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2018, 09:32:34 am »

I assume then that you think Bielema is or was a better coach than Morris, even he won 8 games.  For this to be true it would mean Morris is going to get fired after year three.  If his ceiling is 7 wins here he isn't going to get hired anywhere else. Nobody is going to snatch up the Arkansas HC who hasn't surpassed 7 wins in three years. 

BigE_23

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2018, 09:39:31 am »

I think Morris is either run out of town by an impatient fan base, or out on his own accord to salvage his career.  I don't think he'll stick around for 5 mediocre years like Bert did, since that could make him radioactive for several years.

Still asking the same question...based on what?

It’s too early to know what will happen with Morris, just like it’s too early to really answer the OP’s question.

I don’t know that we’ll get back to where we were under Petrino any time soon. I think we’re a minimum of 4-5 years away. I’m hoping for 6 wins this year, and I’m reserving any other prognostications pending what I see on the field. That said, I like what I’m seeing from Morris and Co. on the recruiting trail. They’ve brought UA recruiting into the 21st century with their use of social media...there’s an energy around Morris that gives cause for optimism.

Which is why I’m asking what you’re basing your negative outlook on, especially since we’ve seen nothing on the field.

razorbackfaninar

• Senior
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2018, 09:45:15 am »

The next 10 win season will be 2 years after Arkansas signs a class with 8 or 9 players from in state that are 4 or 5 star players, mostly at the skill positions, instead of the normal 3-5.

Assuming the only way to do anything is the only way it's been done recently isn't generally a recipe for innovative success.  There is no need to wait on the stars to align to win 10 games at Arkansas. The argument that we need mostly instate players is silly.  I'll agree that if Morris ever signs a class of mostly 4 star players then he will have been one of the first coaches to do so since we joined the SEC.  If he can though it wont matter if they are from Texas, Florida, Arkansas or California. If he gets the right talent necessary to run his scheme, can keep them eligible and out of trouble he will win 10 games and sooner rather than later.     

Wildhog

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2018, 09:51:35 am »

No idea.

hogcards

• The Glimmer Twins
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2018, 09:52:57 am »

I believe he will be gone after year 3.  Either run out of town by an impatient fan base, or out on his own accord to salvage his career.  I don't think he'll stick around for 5 mediocre years like Bert did, since that could make him radioactive for several years.

Bert was below "mediocre".  Well below.

HogPharmer

« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2018, 10:14:29 am »

You have literally made the same post 3 times in a row. We get it, you don't like CM and are completely unwilling to even let him prove himself before you give up on him.

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
  • You like my stripes, I know you do.
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2018, 10:14:36 am »

Assuming the only way to do anything is the only way it's been done recently isn't generally a recipe for innovative success.  There is no need to wait on the stars to align to win 10 games at Arkansas. The argument that we need mostly instate players is silly.  I'll agree that if Morris ever signs a class of mostly 4 star players then he will have been one of the first coaches to do so since we joined the SEC.  If he can though it wont matter if they are from Texas, Florida, Arkansas or California. If he gets the right talent necessary to run his scheme, can keep them eligible and out of trouble he will win 10 games and sooner rather than later.     

Did not say we NEED mostly instate kids ( although the base of any really good team at any p5 school is almost always instate or border kids ), just that he is not going to go out of state and get that many 4 or 5 star kids in one class.

You really think Morris is going to go out of state and get players like Dmac, Adams, Childs, Wright, Hillis, Monk, Franklin, Wilson, Madre Hill, Shawn Adrews, equette, Anderson and other key pieces of 10 win teams that were from in state? If Morris does that, in sufficient #'s, he will be the 1st hog coach in my lifetime to do it. All the others have relied on special one or two year in state groups, with one or 2 out of state studs, and good role players from wherever to build those 10 win teams.

RyanMallettsEgo

• No, no, no, don't think of it as work.
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2018, 10:19:19 am »

You have literally made the same post 3 times in a row. We get it, you don't like CM and are completely unwilling to even let him prove himself before you give up on him.

But he's a Gus clone.

I'm sorry, I'm done.

HawgTrough

• Senior
  • You better help that damn bear
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2018, 10:20:18 am »

I assume then that you think Bielema is or was a better coach than Morris, even he won 8 games.  For this to be true it would mean Morris is going to get fired after year three.  If his ceiling is 7 wins here he isn't going to get hired anywhere else. Nobody is going to snatch up the Arkansas HC who hasn't surpassed 7 wins in three years. 

Bert was 9-15 when he could have left for Nebraska

https://www.si.com/college-football/2014/12/04/bret-bielema-nebraska-coach-arkansas-huskers-mike-riley

theFlyingHog

« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2018, 10:24:11 am »

redleg

• Senior
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2018, 10:40:28 am »

If that is your standard, then the 2019 class could fit the bill IF Morris can get Hudson Henry, Darius Thomas, Stacey Wilkins, Zach Williams, Treylon Burks, Malik Chavis, Marcus Miller, Jadon Jackson, and Kendall Young to all sign. I doubt they get all of them.
The standard should be to get as many quality players that Morris can get, that fits his system, regardless of where they are from.

The_Iceman

• Gold Hogvillian
  • The Plaque for Alternates is in the Ladies room.
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2018, 10:41:56 am »

It will all depend on QB development here and if he can get an elite receiver or two. If he can do that, he'll get there.

HotlantaHog

« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2018, 04:50:52 pm »

2021 seems reasonable, based on his ability to attract kids and develop them over the next few years.

Obviously, it's unknowable what the other schools will be like then. Will Saban be at Alabama? Will the other schools be on the rise or in chaos?

Also, I haven't seen the schedule. I know Texas is on a future schedule, can't recall the year. And one or two other big powers.

TuckerHog

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2018, 05:14:17 pm »

LZH

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Tight but Loose
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2018, 05:26:46 pm »

The next five years:

- Saban retires
- Orgeron is fired
- one or both Mississippi schools fail
- Jimbo is a maybe/maybe not at A&M
- Gus...who cares?

That gives our new coaching staff an opportunity to make some progress in the conference, and hopefully in recruiting.

Dark Helmet Hog

• Now let's see how well you handle it...
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2018, 01:16:18 pm »

The next five years:

- Saban retires
- Orgeron is fired
- one or both Mississippi schools fail
- Jimbo is a maybe/maybe not at A&M
- Gus...who cares?

That gives our new coaching staff an opportunity to make some progress in the conference, and hopefully in recruiting.

I like it.

hawaiianhogster

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2018, 01:17:54 pm »

The prediction that Harry King wrote up in his article about the Hogs win loss record for 2018. I mentioned in that post that if the Hogs played to coach Morris's expectations that they could win 3 more games against LSU, MISS State, and Missouri. I forgot about A&M. I should have included them in my prediction. So if the Hogs play to coach Morris's expectations I believe we could witness our first 10 win season this year.

Hoggish1

« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2018, 01:19:48 pm »

Yes in 2019

OneTuskOverTheLine™

• Gold Hogvillian
  • One tusk over the line sweet Jesus...
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2018, 01:22:54 pm »

They'll win 7 in 2018, 8 (maybe 9) in 2019, and 10 in 2020. I believe that Morris will end losing streaks to A&M and Mizzou this year, Miss St and Auburn in 2019, and LSU (maybe this year) and Alabama in 2020.

Yeah, and we're liable to drop 3 in a row to Ole Miss... Our ability to slow down the game and turn overs won it last year...

Hawgphat

« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2018, 01:23:09 pm »

Yes

I predict that we may next achieve a 10-win football season when:

(1)  Hillary runs for POTUS as a Conservative Republican - - and wins

(2)  A 128 pound, effeminate homosexual man wins The Heavyweight Boxing Championship Of The World

(3)  The Automotive Industry produces vehicles which run entirely on air, and in which the only moving parts are the wheels and the steering wheel

(4)  The Pope converts to Fundamentalism and becomes a Baptist minister

(5)  The Hollywood Crowd takes a stand supporting the literal, original wording and intent of The Constitution related to all sociopolitical issues, family and Christian values, and the traditional, Biblical morality precepts pertinent to the sanctity of marriage between one woman and one man

Those five above-listed esoterically unlikely eventualities - (and many others, I'm sure) -  along with the answer to the question posed by this thought-provoking thread title - might take a while.

:(

Hawgphat

« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2018, 01:40:13 pm »

Don't get your drawers in a wad, people; I was just spouting off.  I have every expectation of improving fortunes under the new regime in The Morris Era.  However, I realistically am forced to conclude that a 10-win season MIGHT - - MIGHT - - take a while.  I would dearly love to be surprised and gratified by a rather early timetable achievement of such an accomplishment.

GO  HOGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

;D

Three and Snout

« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2018, 01:43:09 pm »

You seem to have confused this with the politics forum.  GTFO with that nonsense.

hoggusamoungus

« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2018, 01:45:00 pm »

We've done it three times since joining the conference in 1992 so I'll let a statistical wizard extrapolate the year we do it again.

hawaiianhogster

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2018, 01:58:22 pm »

Here's a good question. What are the fans going to think, the ones that are praying for the hogs to move to the Little 12 conference, once the Hogs start owning the SEC.

Think about it for awhile. Those fans think that the Hogs could own the little 12 conference right out. Be more competitive. Be able to recruit Texas better. Blah, Blah, Blah.

With saying that if the Hogs can own the little 12 then the Hogs can own the SEC plus be more competitive and recruit Texas better and get more TV exposure which in turn will bring us those 5 start recruits. Saban or no Saban it all starts with the right head coach and coaching staff. I believe we have the right head coach and staff that can get these guys going. Predictions says it will take 4 to 5 years to have a real chance of winning it all. Reality says different. Reality waits on the outcome of the game. Real time results.

In order for us to know for a fact that we are better than expected or worse than expected we have to wait for reality to set in. Everything we say about the outcome of the games  is pretty much for fun. Mainly setting our goals on hope that our team is successful. Coach Morris gives me that Hope. No matter the outcome of this season he will have my support moving on. He WILL get it done and get it done sooner than the predictions are predicting.

One last thing to the puzzle. Our team must play like one big family (Ohana). Are they there yet?

GO HOGS GO! Take the SEC by storm!

LRrazorback

« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2018, 02:11:00 pm »

I don't understand your pessimism however, let me try and put your mind at ease.
CBB was an exceptionally bad coach.  The university of AR is a very good job and always has been, when the right coach is in place. But, the same goes for all schools, including Alabama, remember all the mediocre seasons they had after Gene stallings. They finally found their coach.
So have we found our coach?  HDN won 10, CBP won 10 twice, in only four years. CCM when he was at Clemson was the top assistant in the country. Smu was tough but, he checks all the boxes for what we need (I can tell you these if you're interested).  It's not as hard to win here as what CBB and some hogvillians make it seem.  Once we show some success his recruiting will pick up and we'll be own our way.  I'm not sure CBB left him with much but we'll see.

Trust me, he'll be here at least 5 years and be more successful than HDN.

Hawgphat

« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2018, 02:12:31 pm »

You seem to have confused this with the politics forum.  GTFO with that nonsense.

I haven't confused anything.  My definite impression of this forum is that one person's particular likes and dislikes cannot dictate the content of the conversations.

I merely introduced a comparison of the likelihood of the 10-win season with other extremely low possibility eventualities.  If you are incapable of perceiving the irony represented in those referenced fantasy comparisons, then I truly feel sorry for your lack of deduction and your dearth of humor aptitude.

I'll make a concerted effort to avoid confrontation with you in the future; but you do not intimidate me, - I don't have to conform to your posting style, - - and I am not obliged to GTFO.

Have a nice day.  God Bless.

King Kong

« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2018, 03:24:38 pm »

We've done it three times since joining the conference in 1992 so I'll let a statistical wizard extrapolate the year we do it again.

One coach did it back to back seasons. It’s all about the right guy. Is Morris that guy? I hope so

coach, my back hurts

« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2018, 08:30:21 pm »

If Morris can develope qb like Petrino can then I think we could get ourselves in situations to win our 9th or 10th game in a bowl.

With the way bama auburn aTm and LSU recruit, it’s going to be difficult for us to win 6 conf games in a season. I think 5 will be our ceiling.

A lot is going to depend on if the guy at msst can keep it going. Our better years have been when the miss schools are down. 

But I think a good qb and a respectable defense can win a lot of games

HogPharmer

« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2018, 09:44:24 pm »

I haven't confused anything.  My definite impression of this forum is that one person's particular likes and dislikes cannot dictate the content of the conversations.

I merely introduced a comparison of the likelihood of the 10-win season with other extremely low possibility eventualities.  If you are incapable of perceiving the irony represented in those referenced fantasy comparisons, then I truly feel sorry for your lack of deduction and your dearth of humor aptitude.

I'll make a concerted effort to avoid confrontation with you in the future; but you do not intimidate me, - I don't have to conform to your posting style, - - and I am not obliged to GTFO.

Have a nice day.  God Bless.

Hawgphat

« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2018, 10:47:00 pm »

:D

jgphillips3

• Life is too short for bad beer.
« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2018, 10:58:37 pm »

I think it depends on whether you mean 10 regular season wins or 10 after a bowl game.  I can conceivably see a 9-3 type season capped by a bowl win in season 3 of the Morris era if things progress well.  10+ regular season wins are very tough to come by but I think he can do it within 5 years if he can do it here at all.

Gonzo

« Reply #45 on: July 15, 2018, 12:13:50 am »

Hhmm, my memory must be askew since I recall the Hogs winning 10 or more a few times but don't ever recall an instate recruiting class like that. Surely that can't be right.

Go Hogs!

RyanMallettsEgo

• No, no, no, don't think of it as work.
« Reply #46 on: July 15, 2018, 12:22:51 am »

Tbh his grammar scares me more than anything.

moses_007

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Bring the Wood!
« Reply #47 on: July 15, 2018, 12:54:09 am »

The Kig

• Hogville Heroes
« Reply #48 on: July 15, 2018, 02:11:58 am »

Yes.  By 2021

Gezz... our fan base moved quickly from "maybe next year" to  maybe 3 years from now. 

ChitownHawg

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Be Hawgin it since 1960
« Reply #49 on: July 15, 2018, 02:17:18 am »

Will Coach Morris get 10 wins in his Arkansas tenure and when?

This year! Just kidding.

I would say he has a shot. He is a great offensive mind and Chief is a great defensive mind. It seems like a match made in heaven.

But only time will tell.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas