• 9,977,467 Posts
• 400,467 Topics
• 22,947 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Mike Woods  (Read 8406 times)

Hopeful Hog

Mike Woods
« on: July 10, 2018, 01:05:45 pm »

Don't know if anyone follows him on Twitter but that guy is steady talking to other recruits for us and his footwork looks amazing. I don't know how well it's gonna translate to the field but he looks legit! I think we got a great one!

SooieGeneris

• Senior
  • You don't ever want to be chasin' speed..
Re: Mike Woods
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2018, 01:12:30 pm »

I watched this kid's HS tape and IMO he was vastly underrated by the recruiting services. He made some great catches, showed run after catch ability and is a nasty blocker downfield..

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

WOOPIGDOOIE

• Senior
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2018, 01:14:29 pm »

Don't know if anyone follows him on Twitter but that guy is steady talking to other recruits for us and his footwork looks amazing. I don't know how well it's gonna translate to the field but he looks legit! I think we got a great one!
He looked great during the spring game. Was wide open for two touchdowns, but the QBs couldn’t get the ball to him.

Hogindasticks

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2018, 01:15:03 pm »

There is a guy on twitter called footwork king that one of the coaches were wanting to come to fayetteville....i think our new kansas recruit is there working out now..saw a video from 7-4 of him working put with the guy.

Hopeful Hog

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2018, 01:37:32 pm »

If he can run somewhere in the 4.5's and keeps his head on straight he'll be playing on sundays. That may be a little, ok a lot, premature but I have a feeling about this kid.

WOOPIGDOOIE

• Senior
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2018, 01:41:27 pm »

If he can run somewhere in the 4.5's and keeps his head on straight he'll be playing on sundays. That may be a little, ok a lot, premature but I have a feeling about this kid.
The work ethic is there. I completely agree, he can be playing on sundays. I also feel this way with TQ Jackson, reminds me a lot of Woods with his work ethic. They both can become very special players for the Razorbacks

Al Boarland

• All-American Hogvillian
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2018, 01:43:50 pm »

underrated by the recruiting services.

Classic post.

navyhog24

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2018, 01:44:21 pm »

He also has a nasty stiff arm as well. The kid is a beast.

Hopeful Hog

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2018, 01:50:22 pm »

This doesn't directly have to do with recruiting but another guy I can't wait to see on the hill is Dorian Gerald. He is a very impressive follow on Twitter as well.

navyhog24

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2018, 01:54:33 pm »

This doesn't directly have to do with recruiting but another guy I can't wait to see on the hill is Dorian Gerald. He is a very impressive follow on Twitter as well.

Does anyone know when he is reporting? I haven't seen any dates for him yet.

Hopeful Hog

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2018, 01:58:50 pm »

i officially finish my classes here at COC August 1st and will arrive on Campus in Fayetteville August 2nd, sorry i kept y’all waiting! But everything is good! Just have to finish up classes , i’m working as hard as i can on and off the field #WPS #HAMMERDOWN 🐗#GodSpeed ⚡️

WOOPIGDOOIE

• Senior
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2018, 02:26:43 pm »

Dorian is a full grown man. I think he will do some impressive things this year

Tick Hog

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2018, 11:59:24 pm »

The thing that actually impressed me the most while watching his films was his work away from the ball. The kid will knock your socks off while blocking for others. You’d be hard pressed to find many HS WR’s doing this.

RebelW

• Senior
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2018, 06:21:33 am »

He will show up on campus August 2nd

bphi11ips

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I need help with my footwork, too.

hawgsawjimdugan

« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2018, 12:24:11 pm »

i officially finish my classes here at COC August 1st and will arrive on Campus in Fayetteville August 2nd, sorry i kept y’all waiting! But everything is good! Just have to finish up classes , i’m working as hard as i can on and off the field #WPS #HAMMERDOWN 🐗#GodSpeed ⚡️

You tha Man!!  Can’t wait to see you in cardinal & white terrorizing opponents’ QBs in the backfield. 

Al Boarland

jgphillips3

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Life is too short for bad beer.
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2018, 03:18:19 pm »

This kid has “it”.  Sometimes you just see a guy who doesn’t immediately knock your socks off with his size or his speed but plays the damn game full bore and makes plays.  I think Mike Woods has the capability to be a great one by the time he leaves.  He is physical as all get out and just makes plays.  I like this kid a lot and we are going to hear his name a lot this year.

liljo

« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2018, 11:38:16 pm »

Thank you so much for choosing the Hogs. I cannot wait to see you play!

Go Hogs!

Darren DeLoach (semohawg)

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2018, 03:25:19 am »

Classic post.

Arkansas has and will always need to find those players overlooked by the Texas, LSU, and Oklahoma's of the world. It is crucial to have a staff able to out work and out evaluate other staffs for this program to be a viable SEC contender on a regular basis. That's not a slight or a poor is me attitude. History shows that this is the case.

Al Boarland

« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2018, 05:49:11 am »

Arkansas has and will always need to find those players overlooked by the Texas, LSU, and Oklahoma's of the world. It is crucial to have a staff able to out work and out evaluate other staffs for this program to be a viable SEC contender on a regular basis. That's not a slight or a poor is me attitude. History shows that this is the case.

Well, they won't out work everyone. That's what people tell themselves to feel good. However, I agree Morris and Co need to find diamonds in the rough. The chances every 3* we sign are underrated is slim.

ricepig

« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2018, 05:57:00 am »

Well, they won't out work everyone. That's what people tell themselves to feel good. However, I agree Morris and Co need to find diamonds in the rough. The chances every 3* we sign are underrated is slim.

Every 3* isn't underrated, nor do they have to be to be successful. If you think Morris, or any football coach at Arkansas is going to sign all 4*& 5*, then you're wasting your time here.

Some posters say every 3* is underrated to make themselves feel good, others complain about every recruit that isn't at least a 4*, to make them feel good. It's just one happy place around here.

Seebs

« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2018, 07:18:18 am »

The chances that every 3* recruited is seen as a fit to this system is the likely answer. Morris cannot change the ratings system to reflect what he saw in TQ for instance that put him on his recruitment early and often. Nobody can dismiss the facts he was a first cut, priority for this staff and they got him. Three star? Yep. What the coaches wanted? Absolutely.

The word underrated is a misnomer to me.  He rated perfectly to what Morris wants to do, not what Rivals thinks he should be. 

GoldCoastHog

• Varsity
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2018, 07:21:00 am »

I agree with this in part; we will certainly need to “ fill out” our classes with prospects that get overlooked by the Texas’ of the world,etc. That said, it’s critical that we get all the instate players we truly need in each class, and we have to get back to our winning ways. We need to recover to a level where we can consistently win 8-9 a season, and occasionally “sneak “ in a 10th. If we can recover to those levels and put the WORST 6 season span in program history in the rear view mirror, I think we’ll attract better out of state talent again, and sign higher ranked classes.
Don’t get me wrong, I don’t know that we’ll ever sign top 5 or 10 classes, but I do think when we are winning we could occasionally crack the top 15 with a class here or there.

Seebs

« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2018, 07:28:21 am »

It is critical we 'recruit' those players completely and earnestly. We cannot get what is not, and never was as interested as they are to other schools.  Could be worse, we could be Tennessee.

We will sign five SEC caliber Offensive Linemen.  While we wish they were from Arkansas, we will get five that want to be Razorbacks. I will be happy with who decides to play for my favorite team, not what we missed out on.

Al Boarland

« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2018, 07:42:33 am »

The chances that every 3* recruited is seen as a fit to this system is the likely answer. Morris cannot change the ratings system to reflect what he saw in TQ for instance that put him on his recruitment early and often. Nobody can dismiss the facts he was a first cut, priority for this staff and they got him. Three star? Yep. What the coaches wanted? Absolutely.

The word underrated is a misnomer to me.  He rated perfectly to what Morris wants to do, not what Rivals thinks he should be.

Morris would take the higher rated guys if he can land them. I'm not foolish enough to think every guy he targets as the perfect fit for his system happens to be a 3*.

WOOPIGDOOIE

• Senior
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2018, 07:46:34 am »

Morris would take the higher rated guys if he can land them. I'm not foolish enough to think every guy he targets as the perfect fit for his system happens to be a 3*.
He targets the ones that fit his system, 2* or 5* it doesn't matter. He isn't the type to offer kids based on what number is by their name on 247

luke hawg

« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2018, 07:58:59 am »

I can promise you this. This staff wanted KJ Jefferson more than other higher rated QBs. This staff would not trade Soli and Williams more than any other DE combo. They got a tip on a late bloomer in Beaux Limmer. The difference between his sophomore and junior year is substantial. One more year of development is going to do wonders for him.

bigalphahawg

« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2018, 08:06:04 am »

Every 3* isn't underrated, nor do they have to be to be successful. If you think Morris, or any football coach at Arkansas is going to sign all 4*& 5*, then you're wasting your time here.

Some posters say every 3* is underrated to make themselves feel good, others complain about every recruit that isn't at least a 4*, to make them feel good. It's just one happy place around here.

Kind of like a highly dysfunctional Razorback fan support group.

Al Boarland

« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2018, 08:15:32 am »

I can promise you this. This staff wanted KJ Jefferson more than other higher rated QBs. This staff would not trade Soli and Williams more than any other DE combo. They got a tip on a late bloomer in Beaux Limmer. The difference between his sophomore and junior year is substantial. One more year of development is going to do wonders for him.

We'll never know if they would have taken anyone in front of them.

Seebs

« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2018, 08:16:39 am »

I think you just may be.

Al Boarland

« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2018, 08:35:57 am »

He targets the ones that fit his system, 2* or 5* it doesn't matter. He isn't the type to offer kids based on what number is by their name on 247

Every coach across the country does that.

Al Boarland

« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2018, 08:37:16 am »

I think you just may be.

It's a ridiculous notion plain and simple.

Seebs

« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2018, 09:10:10 am »

It's an accurate notion plain and simple.
You espouse desperation from the coaching staff in November 2017 for the 2019 signing date. The staff clamoring for any commit just to be lucky enough to fill out a SMU-like class. If they are not a composite 24/7 4 * recruit they are less-than and a reach in your estimation.  I actually hope the remainder of our commitments get dropped to 3* simply to watch your blood pressure rise.

Your credibility and likability lowers on every posts.

Al Boarland

« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2018, 09:14:39 am »

You espouse desperation from the coaching staff in November 2017 for the 2019 signing date. The staff clamoring for any commit just to be lucky enough to fill out a SMU-like class. If they are not a composite 24/7 4 * recruit they are less-than and a reach in your estimation.  I actually hope the remainder of our commitments get dropped to 3* simply to watch your blood pressure rise.

Your credibility and likability lowers on every posts.

I'm not here to be liked. I'm here to discuss and be right.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 03:31:33 pm by Al Boarland »

liljo

« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2018, 09:16:38 am »

Every year, 4-5 star players disappoint; 3-star players surprise; walk-ones start and produce; phenoms arise in unlikely places, etc.

There is no way to accurately predict the level of performance a kid can achieve in college based solely on his high school ratings.

Two kids, both 6'2" and 190 pounds in their senior years of HS. Both have 4.5 speed, and have almost identical physical measurements in shuttle, squat, bench, etc. one of those kids came from a huge metropolitan HS with a great coaching staff and is on a team with several other D1 prospects. He has been seen by everybody and has a 4-5 star rating. The other kid plays at a small rural high school with minimum staffing.

The kid from the big school will almost always be better prepped early on, but may also have come much closer to reaching his performance max. He will improve, of course, with the coaching and nutrition he will receive in college, but the improvement may not be nearly as much as the second kid. By the time they are sophomores, suddenly the second kid has turned into an absolute beast that would tear the head off a 5-star RB from his safety position.

Encourage the kids if you are a Hog fan. If not, then do like some here: go thread to thread in Recruiting and try to throw cold water on every 3-star recruit who comes to Arkansas.

Al, you don't miss a single thread. I'll give you that. Your...message is consistent and relentless. But I'm fair to certain we have all heard it by now.

Seebs

« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2018, 09:18:40 am »

I'm not here to liked. I'm here to troll and be as right as I can be post lobotomy.
FIFY

ricepig

« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2018, 09:30:46 am »

Correct, what you are saying is "we don't know their preferences". Some advice you might consider, right? I understand opinions, just as long as folks don't try to use them as facts.

Al Boarland

« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2018, 05:04:29 pm »

Correct, what you are saying is "we don't know their preferences". Some advice you might consider, right? I understand opinions, just as long as folks don't try to use them as facts.

I know that their preference isn't a class full of 3*.  Take Chavis at A&M. He didn't recruit a bunch of 3* he recruited and landed highly rated recruits.

ricepig

« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2018, 05:22:06 pm »

I know that their preference isn't a class full of 3*.  Take Chavis at A&M. He didn't recruit a bunch of 3* he recruited and landed highly rated recruits.

Maybe that was Sumlin's preference?? Or course they want the highest rated recruit on their board, no matter the stars.

Deep Shoat

• The Artist formerly known as Hong Kong Sooey
« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2018, 05:39:50 pm »

Maybe that was Sumlin's preference?? Or course they want the highest rated recruit on their board, no matter the stars.
What Al and the stargazers refuse to understand is that the coaches, all of them, want talent.  And stars =/= talent.  Stars are some wankers OPINION of talent.  Talent is what shows on the field.

imtad16

« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2018, 05:41:57 pm »

As Jerry Jones says, "It's all about the board."

HogFoo

« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2018, 05:39:41 am »

I think Woods is going to be an awesome WR. Same with TQJ.  Those guys look great.  Woods to me reminds me of the jarius/joe  type WR.  Except maybe  a bit better downfield blocker. I like woods a lot tho.  Especially since he has been trying to help recruit other recruits to Fayetteville.

AS FOR Gerald,he said he'd be here August 2nd i believe.  I too believe that Gerald is gonna be a difference maker.  Especially if we can line him up aceoss from Agim and play both at the same time.  It would not surprise me at all if we led the SEC in sacks this season.    Of course that is by design as well under Chavis.  A shutdown CB , we have, along with a couple of soon to be sophomores Curl/Callaway that'll be great.   Gerald /Agim collapse the pocket, flush the QB while our CBs covering, our great LBs finish off the play.  I believe our defense will be pretty dang good, and be the reason we have a good season.  Our offense will be a work in progress, but with guys like Woods,  i think it'll catch up quick.  By the end of the season, i could see that our Hogs will be quite potent on offense and defense.  Just my opinion anyway. 

King Kong

« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2018, 07:05:13 am »

I think Woods is going to be an awesome WR. Same with TQJ.  Those guys look great.  Woods to me reminds me of the jarius/joe  type WR.  Except maybe  a bit better downfield blocker. I like woods a lot tho.  Especially since he has been trying to help recruit other recruits to Fayetteville.

Woods is a more physical blocker.

However, Wright was a very willing and efficient blocker.  He picked his spots wisely to block that opened up big runs from Childs, Adams and Davis. Adams, Wright and Childs all had some selfless blocks to free each other up.

Porkys Revenge

« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2018, 12:04:12 pm »

Woods reminds me of Anthony Eubanks - same size, not the fastest guy but a big time competitor and gets its done.

hawginbigd1

« Reply #45 on: July 14, 2018, 01:05:58 pm »

But yet you state it as a fact that they would rather have the higher rated player, pick a lane.

Al Boarland

« Reply #46 on: July 14, 2018, 02:29:24 pm »

But yet you state it as a fact that they would rather have the higher rated player, pick a lane.

I can say with confidence that they would prefer higher rated players because typically they have more talent.

That's not to say that the occasional 3* is not someone they want and have evaluated higher than their rating.

What do you think is more likely?

1.  All the players Morris/Chavis targeted that happen to be 3* they have evaluated higher than recruiting services.
2.  Fans tell themselves that to feel better about lower rated players.

If you're honest with yourself you know 2 is the more likely.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 03:28:50 pm by Al Boarland »

KlubhouseKonnected

• OOOOhh, GOOD FOR YOU!
« Reply #47 on: July 14, 2018, 02:39:57 pm »

Betting Woods will pump the brakes on his social media for a bit

ricepig

« Reply #48 on: July 14, 2018, 03:03:52 pm »

Betting Woods will pump the brakes on his social media for a bit
Will that make him a 4*?