• 395,961 Topics
• 22,375 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Reasons the hogs will be better  (Read 8914 times)

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Nadine Coyle shakin it for the Hogs!!!!
Re: Reasons the hogs will be better
« Reply #50 on: July 11, 2018, 06:37:43 am »

If we have a half decent OL and passing game, I just don't see how Kelley will not be good.  If a receiver can't get open, I just can't imagine him not getting at least 3 or 4 yards scrambling.  Hell, he was getting that many when they KNEW he was gonna run the ball.  I just think Morris should be able to work wonders with Kelley.  I'm excited to see what he can do. 

Kelley can be better than last year but he is going to need help. The offensive line, RB's and TE's are going to have to take a step forward in pass protection. If they can give him another tick or two on the clock and in doing so, give the WR's another tick or two to get open, we are going to have a much improved passing game. Make the passing game improve and you will see the rushing numbers improve as well. A different blocking scheme that improves blocking angles for the O-Line should help the run blocking as well.

That said, the WR's must catch more of the passes thrown their way. The problem LY wasn't the YAC, it was dropping too many balls that were catchable and not securing the ones that weren't thrown perfectly. You are going to get hit anyway, you might as well get something out of it and catch the ball.

I agree with Biggus from above about the defense. Instead of having no rush to speak of and giving up big plays in the Secondary, let's apply pressure up front, be aggressive and then perhaps, QB's won't be as able to pick the Secondary apart.

Dominicanhog

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #51 on: July 11, 2018, 06:50:34 am »

I think Storey gets the nod. Just a gut feeling.

I also believe we will be 6-3 after game 9.

PRJ

I think Steamboat starts and plays all year and we finish 7-5... Ty ends career as grad transfer...Hyatt gets most of the 2nd team snaps by year end..

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

jhogg

• Band Nerd
« Reply #52 on: July 11, 2018, 09:03:32 am »

Reason #1: Bret Bielema will not be the coach
agree with you, also I think we will have a staff that will make in game and halftime adjustments

jhogg

• Band Nerd
« Reply #53 on: July 11, 2018, 09:10:09 am »

I think we can win 4, maybe 5 games.  Five games would be great for this team.
mr. negative at his best

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #54 on: July 11, 2018, 10:00:30 am »

I know part of the lack of aggression on D was due to the philosophy of Dline staying in their lanes vs the spread option offenses plus preventing the RPO QB's from having escape routes in the middle of the field in scrambling situations.  We played scared.  Can't play defense without making serious efforts to disrupt what is going on in the backfield.  We couldn't stop the running game anyway and allowed an undermanned secondary to get attacked.  I'm looking forward to Ramsey's season and what Caldwell and Chavis will do with him. 

Our receivers have to be tougher challenging DBs for the ball.  Got to help the qb's.  I agree with Muskogee in that I believe this group will improve from last season. 

ThundrHawg

• Varsity
« Reply #55 on: July 11, 2018, 10:09:01 am »

I really dont care how many wins we get. By the end of last season it was obvious the team had completely given up. Zero effort. It was infuriating to watch. The most basic thing you have to have as a leader is the ability to inspire the people you are leading to TRY. If CCM can get these guys to show up and act like they care it will be better than last year.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #56 on: July 11, 2018, 10:33:58 am »

I think Steamboat starts and plays all year and we finish 7-5... Ty ends career as grad transfer...Hyatt gets most of the 2nd team snaps by year end..

I agree with you about Kelley. The Mannings were really impressed with him at their passing camp. Contrary to what some on Hogville believe, that speaks major league volumes.

hawgon

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #57 on: July 11, 2018, 10:38:15 am »

I have a hope and maybe a little belief that we will be better.  But I don’t have any solid reasons for sting that THIS year.  It could be rough sledding.

bphi11ips

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I need help with my footwork, too.
« Reply #58 on: July 11, 2018, 11:42:46 am »

I really dont care how many wins we get. By the end of last season it was obvious the team had completely given up. Zero effort. It was infuriating to watch. The most basic thing you have to have as a leader is the ability to inspire the people you are leading to TRY. If CCM can get these guys to show up and act like they care it will be better than last year.

I expected to see a deflated team against Mississippi State and Missouri, but I think they played hard and narrowly lost to two good teams, especially when considering the size of the crowd (those there cheered as hard as the team played).  Now - the effort in some other games, like Coastal, may not have been what it should have been, but I didn't see any "give up" the last two games. 

DeltaBoy

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I'm Un-Reconstructed. Sic semper tyrannis
« Reply #59 on: July 11, 2018, 11:43:03 am »

I expect 7 wins cause We should upset Tamu , LSU, or MSU.

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #60 on: July 11, 2018, 11:44:27 am »

If nothing else, I think our schedule will help us look improved.

Last season:
Toughest non conference game was TCU.  Frogs finished with 11 wins, in the top 10 and beat Stanford in Alamo Bowl.
This season: Colorado State

From the SECE we got an eventual 9 win SC team on the road.
This year we get Vandy at home. 

These two differences will hopefully be a +2 in wins.

Last season 5 of our first 6 SEC games were away from home. 
This year 4 straight (1 in WMS) SEC games at home and don't play a true road game between 9/22 and 11/17. 

Last season's schedule was not one where many Arkansas teams would have made a run at a 10 win season.  This one could have been had we been set up for it with the team built and developed properly.  And things could get a little fun this season if we can come out of the AU through OM stretch at least 2-2 and 5-2 overall.

Hawgphat

• All-American Hogvillian
« Reply #61 on: July 11, 2018, 12:24:34 pm »

I would assume that Storey is a very talented QB.  He failed to win the starting job with the previous regime, but that is not necessarily a negative consideration against Storey. 

Kelley APPEARS to be in the position of having a leg up on determining his own destiny at the outset of this new era.

I wouldn't be terribly surprised if one of the incoming super freshmen actually managed to seize the starting role by more proficiently (and with better, higher percentage overall approval results) adapting himself to the new regime's preferred offensive attack style.

The impending QB battle for pecking order will prove to be interesting, I think.

BigE_23

« Reply #62 on: July 11, 2018, 12:49:34 pm »

I agree with you about Kelley. The Mannings were really impressed with him at their passing camp. Contrary to what some on Hogville believe, that speaks major league volumes.

Go look at the Manning’s comments about every QB from every school, every year.

All fluffy PR speak. Means absolutely nothing.

That’s not to say that Kelley can’t be a good QB for us...but just because “Archie said so” doesn’t cut it.

Biggus Piggus

• Escaped Journalist
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville: The mosh pit of Razorbackland
« Reply #63 on: July 11, 2018, 12:50:44 pm »

I think we win 8. In the regular season. I believe Morris knows he has some talent. I believe Chavez knows he has some talent. This team vastly underachieved last year. Horrible system, horrible conditioning and waiting for the gong to ring at midnight.

This team, mentally, will be in a much different place this year. We return some firepower on both sides of the ball. We have coaches who are actually engaged with the game of football, we have players who have seen a different way and believe in it.

We win 8.

PRJ

Talent-wise, last year's team was not a 4-8 team. It was mismanaged to that level. That also means the turnaround is a major management challenge. Many things to correct at the same time.

Who knows at this point what the strength of schedule really will be. If we're fortunate, Mississippi State slips and Ole Miss makes little progress. Missouri might be beyond us. Texas A&M, does anyone have a read on the Aggies? They are a mystery to me. Vanderbilt might be a legit challenge, or not. Their offense has made creeping progress. Colorado State should show us how far we have to go.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #64 on: July 11, 2018, 01:04:48 pm »

Go look at the Manning’s comments about every QB from every school, every year.

All fluffy PR speak. Means absolutely nothing.

That’s not to say that Kelley can’t be a good QB for us...but just because “Archie said so” doesn’t cut it.

Yes, it does cut it. The Mannings know good QB's when they see them. That's what their passing camp is all about. College QB's who go to their camp do so by invitation, they can't just up and decide they are going. They are very picky about which college QB's they will invite and the fact that they speak highly of Cole Kelly speaks major league volumes.

I realize that you like Ty Storey and I respect that but the truth is the truth.

BigE_23

« Reply #65 on: July 11, 2018, 03:11:26 pm »

Yes, it does cut it. The Mannings know good QB's when they see them. That's what their passing camp is all about. College QB's who go to their camp do so by invitation, they can't just up and decide they are going. They are very picky about which college QB's they will invite and the fact that they speak highly of Cole Kelly speaks major league volumes.

I realize that you like Ty Storey and I respect that but the truth is the truth.

You're making the assumption that just because I'm not ready to anoint Kelley that I prefer Storey...and the first three letters of assume spell what they do for a reason. You're dead wrong. I don't give a rat's assumption who the QB is so long as we win.

As for the invitees, you're also wrong. There are 39 counselors for the camp, and 10 of them are from SEC teams. Kelley got the nod because he's a Louisiana kid with playing experience in the SEC. Simple as that.

The Mannings say nice things about every kid there, period. It is no indicator of future success.

Unless of course you want to assume that too.

daBoar

« Reply #66 on: July 11, 2018, 03:47:55 pm »

I think you have to throw the experience factor out the window with Cole and Ty. Unless you're specifically talking about in game experience, which I don't see being much of an advantage either way.
SPAL, I disagree.  While I'd be much more confident if Cole ran a 4.7, he did pass for over 1,000 yards last year.  The last time I saw Storey play in person, he fumbled the first snap he received; I don't see a D1 player there.  Storey may have better legs, but he sure hasn't shown that he's a better QB.  I'm sure the HC also would prefer Cole running a 4.7 too, but that's not the case.  But, Cole can throw the ball..........and has done that against other D1 teams, rather than our third team defense. 

Biggus Piggus

• Escaped Journalist
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville: The mosh pit of Razorbackland
« Reply #67 on: July 11, 2018, 04:38:48 pm »

Kelley can be better than last year but he is going to need help. The offensive line, RB's and TE's are going to have to take a step forward in pass protection. If they can give him another tick or two on the clock and in doing so, give the WR's another tick or two to get open, we are going to have a much improved passing game.

I doubt Morris's offense is going to rely on plays that take as long to develop as Arkansas's did last season. My impression is that he knows how to balance play selection with what the team can execute. For some reason, Bielema's teams usually did not.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #68 on: July 11, 2018, 05:02:41 pm »

You're making the assumption that just because I'm not ready to anoint Kelley that I prefer Storey...and the first three letters of assume spell what they do for a reason. You're dead wrong. I don't give a rat's assumption who the QB is so long as we win.

As for the invitees, you're also wrong. There are 39 counselors for the camp, and 10 of them are from SEC teams. Kelley got the nod because he's a Louisiana kid with playing experience in the SEC. Simple as that.

The Mannings say nice things about every kid there, period. It is no indicator of future success.

Unless of course you want to assume that too.

I'm not anointing Kelley, I just believe he will be the starter.  I do agree with the line in bold though.

I disagree with you about the Mannings but to each his/her own.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 08:40:33 pm by GuvHog »

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #69 on: July 11, 2018, 05:35:38 pm »

I doubt Morris's offense is going to rely on plays that take as long to develop as Arkansas's did last season. My impression is that he knows how to balance play selection with what the team can execute. For some reason, Bielema's teams usually did not.

I don't disagree, I just don't think that timing is going to be as perfect as Morris would prefer early in the season. So, if we can hold them out for another count or count-and-a-half, so much the better. Like you I think he wants a good initial read and then execute quickly, but that is ideal. I'd love to see ideal execution early-on, but I don't expect it.

BigBen

• Varsity
« Reply #70 on: July 11, 2018, 06:59:27 pm »

I know most of Hogville isn’t going to like this but TJ Hammonds getting a lot of snaps is not the answer. Yes he is fast but that’s really it. Doesn’t show the awareness to be a top end running back. I hope I’m wrong but he needs to learn to block way better and how to catch so he can play in the slot some and be a threat off jet sweeps especially if he wants to play football past college. 90% of the RB snaps need to be split between Whaley and Haden. If these 2 can live up to their potential it will take a lot of pressure off of the QB that starts.

Al Boarland

« Reply #71 on: July 11, 2018, 07:33:25 pm »

I don't disagree, I just don't think that timing is going to be as perfect as Morris would prefer early in the season. So, if we can hold them out for another count or count-and-a-half, so much the better. Like you I think he wants a good initial read and then execute quickly, but that is ideal. I'd love to see ideal execution early-on, but I don't expect it.
I expect a lot of screen passes and other high percentage plays.  Also, he will take several shots down field and hope a couple hit.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #72 on: July 11, 2018, 07:48:20 pm »

I know most of Hogville isn’t going to like this but TJ Hammonds getting a lot of snaps is not the answer. Yes he is fast but that’s really it. Doesn’t show the awareness to be a top end running back. I hope I’m wrong but he needs to learn to block way better and how to catch so he can play in the slot some and be a threat off jet sweeps especially if he wants to play football past college. 90% of the RB snaps need to be split between Whaley and Haden. If these 2 can live up to their potential it will take a lot of pressure off of the QB that starts.

Watch, I think we will find Hammonds in a more natural position of the "Slot" this year, if he shows that he can secure the catch in tough circumstances. He only had two receptions last year but averaged 32 yards per reception. He has big play written all over him if they can get him the ball and he can make the catch.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #73 on: July 11, 2018, 08:26:49 pm »

I expect a lot of screen passes and other high percentage plays.  Also, he will take several shots down field and hope a couple hit.

I think that you can expect some quick slants behind LB's after the fake to the RB as well. I doubt that Morris is going to tie the fate of the team to any particular play. There will be a variety with a "lean" towards that which this team is able to make most successful (per Biggus above) at any given point of the season.

31to6

« Reply #74 on: July 11, 2018, 08:32:04 pm »

I think that you can expect some quick slants behind LB's after the fake to the RB as well. I doubt that Morris is going to tie the fate of the team to any particular play. There will be a variety with a "lean" towards that which this team is able to make most successful (per Biggus above) at any given point of the season.
Based on what I have seen the one thing we can predict is that our offense will be hard to predict. Although it is a different basic scheme than Petrino, what he has in common is that he is always thinking several plays ahead and he is extremely creative with play-calling out of a few basic formations. Also like Petrino he seems to delegate significant decision-making to the QB.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #75 on: July 11, 2018, 08:47:58 pm »

Don't sleep on Maleek Williams. The guy is a stud with deceptive speed. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the RB position turns into a 3 headed Monster and Hammonds gets a lot of playing time in the Slot.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 08:18:55 am by GuvHog »

bphi11ips

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #76 on: July 11, 2018, 09:14:09 pm »

Based on what I have seen the one thing we can predict is that our offense will be hard to predict. Although it is a different basic scheme than Petrino, what he has in common is that he is always thinking several plays ahead and he is extremely creative with play-calling out of a few basic formations. Also like Petrino he seems to delegate significant decision-making to the QB.

Anyone who hasn't seen SMU's 2017 offense should watch the first quarter of the TCU game last year. The Ponies shredded Gary Patterson's D. It was 19-7 SMU before TCU got their feet under them. Pre-snap motion was fun to watch.  We saw nothing in the Spring like what we'll eventually see when all of the pieces are in place. That may not be this year, but we have better football players than SMU did, and this staff will know how to use them as they transition to full blown hammerdown.

Oklahawg

• Resident Optimistic Pragmatist
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Pop Music at It's Finest
« Reply #77 on: July 11, 2018, 09:14:28 pm »

Hard to not see things turning around. 4-8 seems artificially low but that is what happens when teams "go bad."

Most teams experience a bit of a bump because the holdovers have to rededicate to maintain a spot, the new guys are brought in for a certain system, and everyone gets a healthy do-over. Fresh starts for the entire team reveals gems lost in the shuffle, or at least players can hit the reset button on their careers and not carry over damage from months, even years eariler, into the current locker room.

The mass exodus of coaches in the SEC-W gives us a shot to reset the expectations around the conference. The non-conference schedule is pleasantly doable. Just as the last two years cycled out of control it is not unreasonable that Morris can orchestrate some late-season momentum that carries the hogs to a bowl game.

I'd like to think there is holdover talent sufficient to plug gaps. Not necessarily useful depth, but at least put a starting unit on the field that competes.

The moment I am waiting for is the day we hand Gus Malzahn his ass in a brown paper bag and send his entire team to the bus crying in shame. Beat those frickers 100-0. Embarrass the cheerleaders. Silence their band. Make the eagle shed its feathers. Then, come back next year and do it again. No team disgusts me more than Auburn. Not likely this year! But, Auburn and Bama are measuring sticks of both effort and productivity.

I'm a 6-6 guy. Not sure I can find a 7th win without having to acknowledge that CSU might not be a win.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #78 on: July 11, 2018, 09:21:16 pm »

Hard to not see things turning around. 4-8 seems artificially low but that is what happens when teams "go bad."

Most teams experience a bit of a bump because the holdovers have to rededicate to maintain a spot, the new guys are brought in for a certain system, and everyone gets a healthy do-over. Fresh starts for the entire team reveals gems lost in the shuffle, or at least players can hit the reset button on their careers and not carry over damage from months, even years eariler, into the current locker room.

The mass exodus of coaches in the SEC-W gives us a shot to reset the expectations around the conference. The non-conference schedule is pleasantly doable. Just as the last two years cycled out of control it is not unreasonable that Morris can orchestrate some late-season momentum that carries the hogs to a bowl game.

I'd like to think there is holdover talent sufficient to plug gaps. Not necessarily useful depth, but at least put a starting unit on the field that competes.

The moment I am waiting for is the day we hand Gus Malzahn his ass in a brown paper bag and send his entire team to the bus crying in shame. Beat those frickers 100-0. Embarrass the cheerleaders. Silence their band. Make the eagle shed its feathers. Then, come back next year and do it again. No team disgusts me more than Auburn. Not likely this year! But, Auburn and Bama are measuring sticks of both effort and productivity.

I'm a 6-6 guy. Not sure I can find a 7th win without having to acknowledge that CSU might not be a win.

Colorado State has less experience and starting talent returning of any D-I team in the country. I'm not saying that they won't put up a fight early on, but if we win that one by less than 2-3 TD's we will be further behind the power curve than we should be for a team that is in the SEC West. Our talent levels alone, though perhaps not being top half of the SEC West quality, should be enough to win this game going away. That said, I'll simply take a win in Ft. Collins.

bphi11ips

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #79 on: July 11, 2018, 09:26:30 pm »

Talent-wise, last year's team was not a 4-8 team. It was mismanaged to that level.

The schedule also set up where TCU and A&M losses would likely lead to a 2-5 start with each beating progressively worse, leaving a demoralized team to face LSU on the road and two good teams at home to salvage the season. That's exactly what happened.  We came out flat against TCU and flat blew the A&M game.  Win those two and we probably go 8-4 last year. 

Talent wise, this team matches up well in 2018 with all but two or three teams on the schedule. 

bigpigpimpin

« Reply #80 on: July 11, 2018, 09:54:49 pm »

Do not discount how good our backfield is.....our running backs are really, really good. Hayden is a developing star. Whaley looked like a monster as a freshman but then got too heavy. He was the bright spot of the spring game. Hammonds is electric with the ball in his hands. He can hit the home run. And Williams is just a bully. Go back and watch the spring game. He runs with a purpose and is a load. Then there is newcomer Rakeem Boyd. These guys have the potential to be really, really good. One of the best backfields in the SEC.

BentonvilleJeff

« Reply #81 on: July 11, 2018, 10:46:42 pm »

I hope Coach Morris has a quick hook if the Qb’s aren’t performing. It is absolutely vital to find an unquestioned number 1 quarterback. Even if the guy is a true freshman then put him in and let him figure it out. That would be better for the long run. I honestly believe every good coach knows it starts with the QB. Got to find THE right guy ASAP.

31to6

« Reply #82 on: July 11, 2018, 11:04:06 pm »

Anyone who hasn't seen SMU's 2017 offense should watch the first quarter of the TCU game last year. The Ponies shredded Gary Patterson's D. It was 19-7 SMU before TCU got their feet under them. Pre-snap motion was fun to watch.  We saw nothing in the Spring like what we'll eventually see when all of the pieces are in place. That may not be this year, but we have better football players than SMU did, and this staff will know how to use them as they transition to full blown hammerdown.
And no prairie dogging!

FYI this full game is on youtube currently. Watched it again this week.

porkrindjimmy

• Hogville.net
« Reply #83 on: July 12, 2018, 01:13:05 am »

We are going to win 8. I am telling you.

As much as I was up in arms over Bielema and knew it was a bad fit from the start, that he was in over his head...

I am the exact opposite with Chad Morris. This guy is gonna pay huge dividends for us and it starts this year.

I believe our defense, with our LB's, I think our secondary finally has the chance to be big time, will be much better than most expect...

And if we get anything from the WR position, and I think we will, the offense will shine.

We are gonna win 8...AND we will win 2 of our last 3 games...maybe all 3.

Morris is the real deal.

PRJ

DuvallFallsHog1975

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #84 on: July 12, 2018, 04:42:24 am »

mr. negative at his best

Just a realist until Coach M gets HIS players to play in his system.

Youngsta71701

• There's a God somewhere.
« Reply #85 on: July 12, 2018, 07:47:50 am »

Reasons the hogs will be better:

1. Coaching
2. Coaching
3. Coaching
4. Coaching
5. Coaching...

bphi11ips

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #86 on: July 12, 2018, 07:52:18 am »

I wonder how coaches managed to coach before "systems" were invented. 

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #87 on: July 12, 2018, 08:25:27 am »

A realist wouldn't be predicting failure with 17 starters returning and one of the best DCs in college football on staff.

nwahogfan1

« Reply #88 on: July 12, 2018, 08:28:32 am »

1. Kelley will be your starter at QB. Since neither him nor Storey has separated, Cole gets the nod based on experience. With the new scheme spreading the field, who's gonna stop the steamboat powering up the middle? Also, he was effective throwing short routes and screens, now he has to improve the longer routes....but....

2. A lot of that has to do with his receivers. Those guys cannot be worse than they were last year. They have some talent there, but for whatever reason it just hasn't clicked yet. Some guys will emerge this year. Cornelius is back and is a team leader and a playmaker. Also, with the spread scheme these guys will likely have more route running and decoy routes than true blocking assignments. That will help. Not to mention the tight end will be used in the passing game in several different functions, and we are really good there.

The offensive line will take a blow by losing Ragnow, but again the system will take extra guys out of the box to block. That, and surely to goodness they will be coached better. We made little to no improvement here in the last two years.

Running back- Everyone in Razorback nation knew TJ Hammonds needed to have the ball in his hands except for Enos and Beilema, and Whaley will be a step quicker after losing 20 pounds of fat by Herb. We should be really good at running back.

On defense, we were about as good as swiss cheese last year. But, we should be good at linebacker and have experience returning in the secondary.

We were absolutely awful at stopping the run last year. Statistically the worst defense in school history. If we can just be respectable this year there, and I think we will with Chavis leading them, then a winning season is possible.

The kicking game should be solid this year.

So, I will be first to admit that I tend to lean more to the pessimistic side of things on this board. We still lack a QB we can trust, speed, and depth....however I think this team may look ugly the first 3 games but just may surprise someone late.

Most people it seems think 6-6 with a 6-3 start before dropping the last 3 to go 6-6....which in reality would be acceptable. However, if a 6-3 Arkansas team meets LSU in Fayetteville on senior day, the Hill will be rockin, Mississippi state is going through a coaching transition too, and Missouri is not that great. I just dont see Arkansas dropping all 3 of those games. So, I will say an optimistic
7-5. Remember, we were only a few plays away from winning 7 or 8 games last year, and I think this is a better team.

I appreciate the optimism but I am not sold on our QB yet and that is a huge IF.   I would be much more sold on us winning 6 or more if our QB could make plays with his feet.   Also on OL I am not sold on our DTs stopping a really good DE from getting to our QB when he runs around their outside but if we had a QB who could make plays with his feet every time the DE came around the corner the QB could run on that inside spot vacated by him for positive yards but I am not sure we can do that.   WRs are very much needed in our new scheme.  Do we have guys who will go up and beat a DB and catch the ball one on one consistently?  We will see early and often if we have any play makers there.   I think we have some talent at RB.   They just need running lanes.  Defense should be more aggressive and attacking but that leaves holes especially if everybody is not on the same page or we do not make a quick play.   We can not allow QBs to run around picking us apart. Lets hope we get that corrected early. 

Our team was fattened up to play more of a Power game so I hope everyone has bought in to lightening up to get quicker so they can run around to do their thing better in space.  I know that is especially tough on the guys in the trenches to switch from eating 6,000 calories to 4,000 calories or whatever but it is necessary for this scheme.  It requires the big guys to block and tackle in space which requires agility and athleticism.   Usually lighter is better.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 08:40:03 am by nwahogfan1 »

AugustaHog

« Reply #89 on: July 12, 2018, 08:31:27 am »

I think Storey gets the nod. Just a gut feeling.

I also believe we will be 6-3 after game 9.

PRJ
I think 6-3 is a real possibility.  I assume that's the 4 OOC games and OM/Vandy.  I also don't believe that the TAMU game is out of the question either.  I doubt we'll be favored, but unless Jimbo worked miracles over the last six months, they have issues.  As to the Storey deal, I'm not sure he is capable of making the throws to get us to a bowl.  I haven't been impressed with his arm or his poise.  He's had a long road from the AU game in '16, but boy did he look like a fish out of water that night.  I think he's better than he was then, but he still gets happy feet when the pressure comes (and we allow a ton of pressure).  Kelley has his issues for sure as well.  He at least has the big arm and ability to lean forward for a tough yard.  I wish we had an obvious stud at QB this year.  If so I think 9-3 would be a very real possibility just because of how favorable the schedule is. 

nwahogfan1

« Reply #90 on: July 12, 2018, 08:42:57 am »

Is having so many starters from a mediocre team a good thing in your mind? 

Usually not unless they are more suited for this new scheme and have a much better motivated attitude.    We will see early.  CSU will be a challenge.  We should win by 10+ points if this really is a new and better team.     

redleg

• Senior
« Reply #91 on: July 12, 2018, 08:46:58 am »

OFFENSE -
1. Kelley will probably start Game 1. But if he proves ineffective, Storey and Hyatt will get a chance. Hyatt is the sleeper, especially if he can pack on some more muscle on his 6'4" frame. So many fans always want to see the new QB, the freshman QB take over right away. Connor Noland is eventually going to have to decide whether or not he is a QB or a pitcher. He can't do both the entire time he's on The Hill and expect to excel at both. Football players and baseball players have different body types, and emphasize different muscle groups. Noland won't be able to bulk up to take the pounding a QB takes, then slim down to have the flexibility a pitcher needs. That up and down takes a toll on the body. As for John Stephen Jones...he might be the best overall athlete at QB, but he is still just a freshman, and, in today's college game, he's a waif-midget. 5'11" and 180 lbs?! One hard hit from a LB or DE and he's done. His future may be at WR.
2. Whaley will get close to 1000 yards this season. He has the talent to get there. He wasn't a high school Top 5 RB for nothing. Hammonds, and Hayden, must touch the ball as often as reasonably possible. Both of those guys should get 4-5 carries and 4-5 receptions per game. Plus they should be utilized in the return game. Williams and Boyd may get left out.
3. The WRs will be better, but their success goes back to #1, how well the QB plays. I will be curious to see who steps up and makes big plays downfield, and which wideouts end up being more of a possession receiver.
4. The TEs are all talented pass catchers. But which ones will be quality blockers? Cantrell is the most aggressive. In fact, he might have been better served to continue to bulk up, and move to the O-Line. A left tackle that is 6'4" 290 lbs, with feet that quick and runs a sub-4.7 40 yard dash is extremely rare! But, that isn't going to happen. Patton, O'Grady, and Cantrell should hold down the TE positions just fine. I see Patton starting.
5. The O-Line must improve over what they have been the last two seasons, which is average at best. In fact, last year they were absolutely porous at times. Froholdt looked completely lost early on, Clary had no business starting as a true freshman, Wallace and Gibson were overweight and bloated...and slow, and the left tackle was unsettled for most of the season. Imagine how frustrating it must have been for Ragnow, right up until his season ended thanks to a stupid injury!
The 2018 version might actually be some better, even without Ragnow at center. Hays or Clary will start there. Neither is a Ragnow, but they should be good enough to start for an SEC school. Froholdt improved by leaps and bounds at LG as last year went along. By seasons end, he was a bull! Gibson and Merrick at RG...whoever earns it had better be slimmer and quicker. Wallace has the talent to be a quality tackle, and considering he has now lost about 30 lbs and checks in at a more svelte 6'6" 315 lbs, 2018 just might be a good season...finally. Colton Jackson had better step up at LT and claim that job early and often. If he doesn't, I say give Clenin and Wagner a shot.

DEFENSE -
1. I would like to see McTelvin Agim add a few pounds of muscle in the off-season if he is to play on the interior of the D-Line this fall. With his strength, quickness, and talent, he might could withstand the pounding for a full season at just 280 lbs. But an additional ten pounds would make things easier on him. Austin Capps, TJ Smith, or Armon Watts should be the other interior starter. At DE, Ramsey had better bulk up to at least 240 lbs, but he doesn't need to get too big. His speed is more important than his size, even though he will need additional muscle mass to withstand playing on the line of scrimmage for twelve games. I look for Dorian Gerald to come in and dominate right away. He will be a force on the D-Line for Arkansas in 2018, and hopefully 2019 as well. I would love to see Jamario Bell finally live up to expectations.
2. DeJon Harris is a beast at MLB! But someone must develop into a good backup there. Dre Greenlaw is a tackling and playmaking machine at WLB. Again, no real depth behind him though. The SLB position seems to be molding into some kind of speed LB. I have taken to referring to it as Nickel Linebacker, because the three guys (Munson, Henry, Edwards) listed on the current depth chart are all between 210 and 215 lbs, and can all run and hit. Chavis has stated that he is looking to put as much speed on the field as possible. Speed kills, and it's a great way to compensate for any lack of overall talent.
3. The secondary should actually be pretty good this fall. The starters have experience and are talented, and there is good depth behind them. If the D-Line can be more aggressive and put more pressure on opposing QBs, that will help make the secondary even better. Pulley at LCB, Calloway at RCB, Curl at SS, Ramirez at FS. That is a solid starting unit. Richardson is the wild card. He can play corner or safety, and is an enthusiastic playmaker. Tutt, Curtis, Micah Smith, and Brown are solid backups, and don't sleep on the three freshmen (Bishop, Mason, and Foucha) getting significant playing time.

6-6 is reasonable, but so is 7-5, and if they get lucky 8-4 is attainable.

bphi11ips

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #92 on: July 12, 2018, 09:10:25 am »

There have been systems" in football for a very long time.  Are you that dense?

“Bryant can take his’n and beat your’n, and then he can turn around and take your’n and beat his’n.”

Bum Phillips

1967 was Frank Broyles only losing season after 1958. In 1958, he scrapped his offense after losing his first six games and won the last four. In 1968, he hired Don Breaux to install a pro-style passing attack, and Bill Montgomery went 28-5 the next three years with it before Joe Ferguson took over. In 1975, Scott Bull led Arkansas to a 10-2 record and a 31-10 Cotton Bowl victory over Georgia almost entirely on the ground.

Nick Saban hired Lane Kiffin to revamp Alabama’s offense after Clemson beat him in the NC game using the “system” Chad Morris installed there.

Chad Morris compiled a .810 winning percentage over 16 years as a Texas high school head coach. He knows how to tailor his “system” to his talent. He has asked “why not now” when talking about Arkansas in 2018. Is he going to recruit to his “system”, and will his offense evolve to look more like it did at Clemson and SMU?  Yes. Will it be perfect in 2018?  No. Is he going to sacrifice 2018 to install his “system” for 2019 and beyond?  I doubt it. Great coaches put the players they have in the best position to win games.

Youngsta71701

• There's a God somewhere.
« Reply #93 on: July 12, 2018, 09:14:39 am »

We are going to win 8. I am telling you.

As much as I was up in arms over Bielema and knew it was a bad fit from the start, that he was in over his head...

I am the exact opposite with Chad Morris. This guy is gonna pay huge dividends for us and it starts this year.

I believe our defense, with our LB's, I think our secondary finally has the chance to be big time, will be much better than most expect...

And if we get anything from the WR position, and I think we will, the offense will shine.

We are gonna win 8...AND we will win 2 of our last 3 games...maybe all 3.

Morris is the real deal.

PRJ
Eastern Illinois = Win
at Colorado State = Win
North Texas = Win
at Auburn = Loss
at Texas A&M = Loss
Alabama = Loss
Ole Miss = Win
Tulsa = Win
Vanderbilt = Win
LSU = Loss
at Mississippi State = Win
at Missouri = Win

Record = 8-4

I'm witcha porkrindjimmy. I can see that.

redleg

• Senior
« Reply #94 on: July 12, 2018, 10:24:36 am »

Eastern Illinois = Win
at Colorado State = Win
North Texas = Win
at Auburn = Loss
at Texas A&M = Loss
Alabama = Loss
Ole Miss = Win
Tulsa = Win
Vanderbilt = Win
LSU = Loss
at Mississippi State = Win
at Missouri = Win

Record = 8-4

I'm witcha porkrindjimmy. I can see that.
I'd switch A&M and Miss St. But yeah, 8-4 is attainable. It's just that 6-6 is more likely.....although I did predict 8-4 in a post earlier this summer.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #95 on: July 12, 2018, 10:48:46 am »

Is having so many starters from a mediocre team a good thing in your mind? 

When that mediocre team was mediocre solely because of bad coaching, yes.

hoghearted

• 2007 and 2009 Rolex DP Champions. Are you driven?
« Reply #96 on: July 12, 2018, 12:35:28 pm »

I'm optimistic about Morris because as a high school coach, he frequently had to adjust his game plan, or 'system', to fit the players he had, instead of the players he wanted.

sir-pigs-a-lot

• Administrator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • I like Big Mike and I cannot lie
« Reply #97 on: July 12, 2018, 01:28:22 pm »

I don't mind a negative viewpoint, but don't call other people dense because they disagree with you.

RyanMallettsEgo

• See if you can guess...what I am now
« Reply #98 on: July 12, 2018, 02:03:07 pm »

OFFENSE -
1. Kelley will probably start Game 1. But if he proves ineffective, Storey and Hyatt will get a chance. Hyatt is the sleeper, especially if he can pack on some more muscle on his 6'4" frame. So many fans always want to see the new QB, the freshman QB take over right away. Connor Noland is eventually going to have to decide whether or not he is a QB or a pitcher. He can't do both the entire time he's on The Hill and expect to excel at both. Football players and baseball players have different body types, and emphasize different muscle groups. Noland won't be able to bulk up to take the pounding a QB takes, then slim down to have the flexibility a pitcher needs. That up and down takes a toll on the body. As for John Stephen Jones...he might be the best overall athlete at QB, but he is still just a freshman, and, in today's college game, he's a waif-midget. 5'11" and 180 lbs?! One hard hit from a LB or DE and he's done. His future may be at WR.
2. Whaley will get close to 1000 yards this season. He has the talent to get there. He wasn't a high school Top 5 RB for nothing. Hammonds, and Hayden, must touch the ball as often as reasonably possible. Both of those guys should get 4-5 carries and 4-5 receptions per game. Plus they should be utilized in the return game. Williams and Boyd may get left out.
3. The WRs will be better, but their success goes back to #1, how well the QB plays. I will be curious to see who steps up and makes big plays downfield, and which wideouts end up being more of a possession receiver.
4. The TEs are all talented pass catchers. But which ones will be quality blockers? Cantrell is the most aggressive. In fact, he might have been better served to continue to bulk up, and move to the O-Line. A left tackle that is 6'4" 290 lbs, with feet that quick and runs a sub-4.7 40 yard dash is extremely rare! But, that isn't going to happen. Patton, O'Grady, and Cantrell should hold down the TE positions just fine. I see Patton starting.
5. The O-Line must improve over what they have been the last two seasons, which is average at best. In fact, last year they were absolutely porous at times. Froholdt looked completely lost early on, Clary had no business starting as a true freshman, Wallace and Gibson were overweight and bloated...and slow, and the left tackle was unsettled for most of the season. Imagine how frustrating it must have been for Ragnow, right up until his season ended thanks to a stupid injury!
The 2018 version might actually be some better, even without Ragnow at center. Hays or Clary will start there. Neither is a Ragnow, but they should be good enough to start for an SEC school. Froholdt improved by leaps and bounds at LG as last year went along. By seasons end, he was a bull! Gibson and Merrick at RG...whoever earns it had better be slimmer and quicker. Wallace has the talent to be a quality tackle, and considering he has now lost about 30 lbs and checks in at a more svelte 6'6" 315 lbs, 2018 just might be a good season...finally. Colton Jackson had better step up at LT and claim that job early and often. If he doesn't, I say give Clenin and Wagner a shot.

DEFENSE -
1. I would like to see McTelvin Agim add a few pounds of muscle in the off-season if he is to play on the interior of the D-Line this fall. With his strength, quickness, and talent, he might could withstand the pounding for a full season at just 280 lbs. But an additional ten pounds would make things easier on him. Austin Capps, TJ Smith, or Armon Watts should be the other interior starter. At DE, Ramsey had better bulk up to at least 240 lbs, but he doesn't need to get too big. His speed is more important than his size, even though he will need additional muscle mass to withstand playing on the line of scrimmage for twelve games. I look for Dorian Gerald to come in and dominate right away. He will be a force on the D-Line for Arkansas in 2018, and hopefully 2019 as well. I would love to see Jamario Bell finally live up to expectations.
2. DeJon Harris is a beast at MLB! But someone must develop into a good backup there. Dre Greenlaw is a tackling and playmaking machine at WLB. Again, no real depth behind him though. The SLB position seems to be molding into some kind of speed LB. I have taken to referring to it as Nickel Linebacker, because the three guys (Munson, Henry, Edwards) listed on the current depth chart are all between 210 and 215 lbs, and can all run and hit. Chavis has stated that he is looking to put as much speed on the field as possible. Speed kills, and it's a great way to compensate for any lack of overall talent.
3. The secondary should actually be pretty good this fall. The starters have experience and are talented, and there is good depth behind them. If the D-Line can be more aggressive and put more pressure on opposing QBs, that will help make the secondary even better. Pulley at LCB, Calloway at RCB, Curl at SS, Ramirez at FS. That is a solid starting unit. Richardson is the wild card. He can play corner or safety, and is an enthusiastic playmaker. Tutt, Curtis, Micah Smith, and Brown are solid backups, and don't sleep on the three freshmen (Bishop, Mason, and Foucha) getting significant playing time.

6-6 is reasonable, but so is 7-5, and if they get lucky 8-4 is attainable.

So...he can't take a hit from a linebacker as a quarterback of his size, but as a wide receiver at the same size he'll be able to take a hit from a linebacker?

Interesting logic.

HogPharmer

« Reply #99 on: July 12, 2018, 02:10:10 pm »

So...he can't take a hit from a linebacker as a quarterback of his size, but as a wide receiver at the same size he'll be able to take a hit from a linebacker?

Interesting logic.

While he's running full speed... and blindsided catching a ball running a crossing route. Instead of standing in a pocket and (likely) at least having the defender slowed down by an O-lineman.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 8   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas