• 10,016,224 Posts
• 401,480 Topics
• 22,977 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Reasons the hogs will be better  (Read 10448 times)

redleg

• Senior
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Re: Reasons the hogs will be better
« Reply #150 on: July 13, 2018, 09:40:48 am »

So...he can't take a hit from a linebacker as a quarterback of his size, but as a wide receiver at the same size he'll be able to take a hit from a linebacker?

Interesting logic.
As a WR, who is most likely to make a tackle on him? The answer is a DB. QBs must be durable, especially if they are mobile or are outright running QBs. Running QBs that are slightly built are in more danger of sustaining an injury than bigger running QBs or pocket passers, especially when they leave the pocket to run. It's why I believe 99 out of 100 slightly built spread=option QBs will never make it in the NFL.
Jones could prove me wrong, and if he does I'll be the happiest crow eater in the land. But as talented as he is, his physical size is a drawback when playing in the SEC.

HeathWimp

• All-American Hogvillian
  • AKA "Frank's Slap Rendition Camp"
« Reply #151 on: July 13, 2018, 09:42:34 am »

If I had a dollar for every time I read that here leading up to the 2017 season.   ;D

Was about to comment on that.  A lot of people said that about the 2017 Defense, but it still managed to "exceed expectations."

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

rhames

« Reply #152 on: July 13, 2018, 09:43:55 am »

As a WR, who is most likely to make a tackle on him? The answer is a DB. QBs must be durable, especially if they are mobile or are outright running QBs. Running QBs that are slightly built are in more danger of sustaining an injury that bigger running QBs or pocket passers.
Jones could prove me wrong, and if he does I'll be the happiest crow eater in the land. But as talented as he is, his physical size is a drawback when playing in the SEC.

Actually given his size he would most likely be in the slot. So the tackler  could be a LB or DB.

RyanMallettsEgo

• Take it easy, I'm pre-law.
« Reply #153 on: July 13, 2018, 09:45:27 am »

First, I don't live in Arkansas.  Bo's show isn't on drive time in middle Tennessee.  I'll accept at face value the double hearsay in RME's screenshot.  What I have done is read the magazine.  One of Steele's factors in most improved is what he calls his "Stock Market Indicator".  At page 32, Steele tells us he started his SMI in 2012.  He uses Ohio State as an example and said he took the average number of Ohio State wins from 2009-2010 and subtracted the number of wins in 2011 to come up with an SMI of 5.5. He does this for every team.  The higher the result, the more bullish Steele is about the upcoming season.  The lower the number, the more bearish he is.  Baylor tops his Bull Market with a +7.5.  UCF is at the top of his Bear Market with a -10.  In Arkansas's case, the math works like this:  8+7 =15/2=7.5-4 =3.5. 

The bottom line is that Steele never says in his magazine what he said on Bo's show.  He does, however, indicate three times on page 38 that he has included 6-6 teams in his Most Improved forecast since at least 2002.  Further, the SMI isn't limited to teams with losing schedules.  For example, if Clemson were to finish 7-6 this year, their SMI for next year would look like this: 14+14=28/2=14-7=7/2=3.5.  Certainly a good bet Clemson would improve in 2019 if they finish 7-6 in 2018.  Wouldn't you agree?  Pretty simple principle. It doesn't require a losing season to have a positive SMI.

Has Steele changed his criteria since the magazine was published?  Did he change it for this year and just didn't say so in the magazine?  Who knows?  I really don't care.  You're not going to give up your glee in believing you found my mistake.  Nor is RME.  I couldn't care less, but it's easy to demonstrate from the magazine that Steele's Most Improved list has not been limited to losing teams, at least between 2002 and 2017.  Regardless of who is right, the subject is interesting for discussion purposes.     

https://twitter.com/SportsTalkwBo/status/1016453226730807299

Might be kinda wild to you, but he says the exact same thing as he does in the screenshot from the 247Sports article.

"To make the most improved list, you have to have a losing record last year..."

I don't need to read page 38 that could've been written by someone other than Steele. I heard it from Steele's mouth.

rhames

« Reply #154 on: July 13, 2018, 09:47:06 am »

First, I don't live in Arkansas.  Bo's show isn't on drive time in middle Tennessee.  I'll accept at face value the double hearsay in RME's screenshot.  What I have done is read the magazine.  One of Steele's factors in most improved is what he calls his "Stock Market Indicator".  At page 32, Steele tells us he started his SMI in 2012.  He uses Ohio State as an example and said he took the average number of Ohio State wins from 2009-2010 and subtracted the number of wins in 2011 to come up with an SMI of 5.5. He does this for every team.  The higher the result, the more bullish Steele is about the upcoming season.  The lower the number, the more bearish he is.  Baylor tops his Bull Market with a +7.5.  UCF is at the top of his Bear Market with a -10.  In Arkansas's case, the math works like this:  8+7 =15/2=7.5-4 =3.5. 

The bottom line is that Steele never says in his magazine what he said on Bo's show.  He does, however, indicate three times on page 38 that he has included 6-6 teams in his Most Improved forecast since at least 2002.  Further, the SMI isn't limited to teams with losing schedules.  For example, if Clemson were to finish 7-6 this year, their SMI for next year would look like this: 14+14=28/2=14-7=7/2=3.5.  Certainly a good bet Clemson would improve in 2019 if they finish 7-6 in 2018.  Wouldn't you agree?  Pretty simple principle. It doesn't require a losing season to have a positive SMI.

Has Steele changed his criteria since the magazine was published?  Did he change it for this year and just didn't say so in the magazine?  Who knows?  I really don't care.  You're not going to give up your glee in believing you found my mistake.  Nor is RME.  I couldn't care less, but it's easy to demonstrate from the magazine that Steele's Most Improved list has not been limited to losing teams, at least between 2002 and 2017.  Regardless of who is right, the subject is interesting for discussion purposes.       

No one is taking glee in anything. You just keep getting emotional. You tend to do that when people disagree with you.

At the very least it seems you'd have to concede that Steele doesn't even seem consistent.

The main point was pointing out how many games Steele has us winning right now. The number is 6.

Busta_Nutt

« Reply #155 on: July 13, 2018, 09:53:01 am »

As a WR, who is most likely to make a tackle on him? The answer is a DB. QBs must be durable, especially if they are mobile or are outright running QBs. Running QBs that are slightly built are in more danger of sustaining an injury than bigger running QBs or pocket passers, especially when they leave the pocket to run. It's why I believe 99 out of 100 slightly built spread=option QBs will never make it in the NFL.

He's 5'10 in the morning...if he were to make the position change he'd play in the slot. Meaning the majority of the time he'd be covered by a LB. Thus making the LB the likeliest tackler.

Busta_Nutt

« Reply #156 on: July 13, 2018, 09:57:50 am »

https://twitter.com/SportsTalkwBo/status/1016453226730807299

Might be kinda wild to you, but he says the exact same thing as he does in the screenshot from the 247Sports article.

"To make the most improved list, you have to have a losing record last year..."

I don't need to read page 38 that could've been written by someone other than Steele. I heard it from Steele's mouth.

But the double hearsay though!!!

Piggfoot

• Hog Table top cooker
« Reply #157 on: July 13, 2018, 10:09:57 am »

To me Hammonds has not shown that he is a SEC back. I realize he hasn't had that many carries but when he has carried the ball he runs full out like Wingo.
Against lesser teams if he can get to the edge he has had good gains. He needs to learn to run with control and use different gears.

bphi11ips

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I need help with my footwork, too.
« Reply #158 on: July 13, 2018, 10:11:19 am »

Ok grumpy. No one has missed any points. We get it. You agree with what Steele is saying so you feel vindicated. If he said different, you'd probably be pointing out all the times he was wrong.

As far as you know. 

Steele says a lot of what I've been saying.  For example, he says this in his SEC Forecast on Page 52:

"...the Hogs are not in a rebuilding year despite some major scheme changes on both offense and defense."

A few posters, one in particular, insisted recently that Arkansas is in a major rebuild.  I disagreed and used the same experience Steele cites as an explanation.  Why do I care and why do I post here?  First, I love the Razorbacks and have followed the football team for 50 years 24/7/365 the same way Steele says he works on college football.  The difference is that I only care about the Razorbacks.  The real reason I keep posting in the face the crowd of knee-jerk "we're going to suck this year because we have no talent and we don't have the same talent as other SEC teams and we are always going to suck" is to provide some perspective.  Arkansas doesn't suck.  Last year was an aberration, as indicated by Steele's SMI for 2018.  The last six years have been an aberration historically.  If you believe recruiting rankings, we are far superior to our OOC competition in 2018 and measure up well with half of our SEC schedule.  Over time, we're well positioned to recruit with a population of over 20,000,000 in our recruiting footprint.  We have drastically improved facilities.  There is a lot of reason to be optimistic about the future.  On the other hand, we'll have to play Alabama, LSU, Auburn and A&M every year.  So 10-2 and better seasons are going to be tough to achieve.  Can we be the next Clemson?  Chad Morris appears to believe it.  Until it doesn't happen, I'm going to at least believe it's a possibility.

While Steele says a lot of what I've been saying, he also says a lot of things that will support the "Arkansas sucks" crowd. For example, Steele has Arkansas at number 52 in his "Power Poll".  He says this poll "is based on overall talent of each team."  Marshall is 50.  Memphis is 44.  Really?  Marshall and Memphis have more talent than Arkansas?  Not according to recruiting rankings.  Either recruiting rankings are accurate or they aren't.  So many here want to have it both ways.  Arkansas can't compete in the SEC West because we average 25 and Alabama finishes number one more often than not, Auburn and LSU average around the Top 10, and A&M averages about 15.  Okay - we've beaten LSU 5 of the last 11 seasons.  Until Smiley, our record against Auburn was 10-10-1.  A&M?  Three of the last 4 have gone to OT.  Alabama? Fughidaboud it like everyone else, at least for now.  But here - Colorado state has averaged about 90 the past four years - yet they're a threat to beat Arkansas according to many here?  We can't beat teams who are 10 to 25 slots above us because of recruiting rankings, but a team 65 slots lower can beat us?  (Steele has CSU at 100 in his Power Poll.)  Sure, the game is in CSU and we have a new staff.  The game is not a guaranteed win.  But it will be a shocker if Arkansas loses.  They will not come out flat like they did against TCU in 2017.

In any event, I'd encourage college football junkies to pick up a copy of Steel's magazine.  I got mine at Barnes & Noble in Fayetteville in late June.  You can support just about any argument you want to make here with it.           

bphi11ips

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #159 on: July 13, 2018, 10:14:07 am »

But the double hearsay though!!!

I threw that out there for your benefit.  Mullet...

HogPharmer

« Reply #160 on: July 13, 2018, 10:20:01 am »

This comment is NOT intended as a slap at our veteran players, - -but if - as a result of better conditioning, better prepared 2nd and 3rd team backups, and more effective coaching - the Hogs can maintain their competitive edge throughout the fourth quarter until the end of the game, - - -  I firmly believe that we will have a decent chance to be in contention to win most of our scheduled games this coming season.

The Missouri debacle of last year was hard to take.

The Missouri debacle of 2016 was even more hard to take. Especially when we followed it up with that embarrassing loss to Va Tech in the bowl game in the exact same fashion.

RT1941

« Reply #161 on: July 13, 2018, 10:21:03 am »

"Better" is a very generalized, subjective term, often open to individual interpretation and judgment. 

Come September, I look for The Hogs to be in better physical shape, more personally dedicated, more proficient and more focused upon their individual duties and assignments, overall.  I believe that Morris, Chavis & Co. will insure that stricter regimen.

The outcome such a reworked schematic application and personnel regimentation will eventually produce is anyone's guess.  I certainly have no realistic clue.
Thank you!
There is an entire culture change taking place.  Dedication, determination, and trust has to built from the ground up btwn players/position coaches/coordinators/HC...... and that's just the mental part of it.

Now add in totally new practice requirements, workout schedules, new offense/defense schemes, new playbook, new language, preparation regimes, game-planning techniques and the task seems insurmountable when you look at the big picture. 

HogPharmer

« Reply #162 on: July 13, 2018, 10:21:43 am »

Go back and read #111 again.

You go back and read #111 then go read the second sentence in the second paragraph in #113.

Busta_Nutt

« Reply #163 on: July 13, 2018, 10:30:52 am »

I threw that out there for your benefit.  Mullet...

Damn, bphi11 got me again...my day has been ruined.

Are you a civil servant? Society could use your dedication, tenacity, and intellect. Perhaps a public defender? The world sure needs more of them.

bphi11ips

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #164 on: July 13, 2018, 10:38:50 am »

Damn, bphi11 got me again...my day has been ruined.

Are you a civil servant? Society could use your dedication, tenacity, and intellect. Perhaps a public defender? The world sure needs more of them.

But you ruined mine first!   :(

Gotta go.  Have an expert deposition to take.  Have a good day!

Busta_Nutt

« Reply #165 on: July 13, 2018, 10:45:23 am »

But you ruined mine first!   :(

Gotta go.  Have an expert deposition to take.  Have a good day!

Don't forget to press record! (It's the red button)

See you at Tin Roof at 4:30.

Mike_e

• May the woo be with you
« Reply #166 on: July 13, 2018, 10:51:43 am »

Thank you!
There is an entire culture change taking place.  Dedication, determination, and trust has to built from the ground up btwn players/position coaches/coordinators/HC...... and that's just the mental part of it.

Now add in totally new practice requirements, workout schedules, new offense/defense schemes, new playbook, new language, preparation regimes, game-planning techniques and the task seems insurmountable when you look at the big picture. 

The guys are young, smart and very athletic -they can and have competed in the SEC.

It ain't that hard and it doesn't need to happen in 2 days either.

Yes we sucked last year but that was last year.  The team is made up of very young men.  Very young seldom reach their peak until their mid-twenties so we can Expect improvement from this alone.

CCM may not be the second coming of JFB but the man is worth what he's getting paid.  And he is getting the team ready to succeed.

"But there has been a calmness this spring after Storey and other football players met with mental performance coach Brian Cain. He works with pro and college athletes across the spectrum of sports to enhance performances.

ďItís been cool,Ē Storey said. ďCoach Morris brought him in to help our mental preparations. Heís just like a football coach, but itís the mental side.

ďHe taught us how to approach certain situations and how to think. Itís crazy how much heís helped me.

ďOne of the most important things heís taught us is how to keep a detailed, but clean schedule. Itís helped us understand exactly when to sleep, when to do exercise and how to work on that schedule. I can tell how much it has helped from when I didnít have that approach.

ďI fill in my schedule hour by hour, even the hours that are going to be filled with sleep. Itís helpful because you donít have to think about what you are going to do. You just look at your personal schedule. Itís time to sleep, so I sleep. Itís time to work, so I go work. The schedule tells you.Ē

Interestingly, the time management has improved to the point that there is new time for a hobby."

link.. http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2018/jul/12/familiar-reads-and-tempo-excites-storey/?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=razorbacks%20email%207-12&utm_content=razorbacks%20email%207-12+CID_91b56ac8fa69aa8d213d961f9bec196d&utm_source=Email%20Marketing%20Platform&utm_term=Familiar%20reads%20and%20tempo%20excites%20Storey

How will next season wind up?  Beats me but one thing I've learned is to enjoy spending the time watching.  If you keep skipping ahead and worrying about a future you can't affect then you wind up not living the life you can.

RT1941

« Reply #167 on: July 13, 2018, 11:02:23 am »

The guys are young, smart and very athletic -they can and have competed in the SEC.

It ain't that hard and it doesn't need to happen in 2 days either.

Yes we sucked last year but that was last year.  The team is made up of very young men.  Very young seldom reach their peak until their mid-twenties so we can Expect improvement from this alone.

CCM may not be the second coming of JFB but the man is worth what he's getting paid.  And he is getting the team ready to succeed.

"But there has been a calmness this spring after Storey and other football players met with mental performance coach Brian Cain. He works with pro and college athletes across the spectrum of sports to enhance performances.

ďItís been cool,Ē Storey said. ďCoach Morris brought him in to help our mental preparations. Heís just like a football coach, but itís the mental side.

ďHe taught us how to approach certain situations and how to think. Itís crazy how much heís helped me.

ďOne of the most important things heís taught us is how to keep a detailed, but clean schedule. Itís helped us understand exactly when to sleep, when to do exercise and how to work on that schedule. I can tell how much it has helped from when I didnít have that approach.

ďI fill in my schedule hour by hour, even the hours that are going to be filled with sleep. Itís helpful because you donít have to think about what you are going to do. You just look at your personal schedule. Itís time to sleep, so I sleep. Itís time to work, so I go work. The schedule tells you.Ē

Interestingly, the time management has improved to the point that there is new time for a hobby."

link.. http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2018/jul/12/familiar-reads-and-tempo-excites-storey/?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=razorbacks%20email%207-12&utm_content=razorbacks%20email%207-12+CID_91b56ac8fa69aa8d213d961f9bec196d&utm_source=Email%20Marketing%20Platform&utm_term=Familiar%20reads%20and%20tempo%20excites%20Storey

How will next season wind up?  Beats me but one thing I've learned is to enjoy spending the time watching.  If you keep skipping ahead and worrying about a future you can't affect then you wind up not living the life you can.
Great post - thanks for the info!

It sounds like Morris has a firm grasp and handle on the "mental" part of the program.  I highly praise any coach that puts the importance of mental toughness right up there with physical.  Because in many cases, the mental out weighs the physical in times of challenging, competing, and dominating the opponent.

bphi11ips

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #168 on: July 13, 2018, 11:05:50 am »

You go back and read #111 then go read the second sentence in the second paragraph in #113.

Apples and oranges.  As for the apple, I never said in #111 that Steele predicts now that we will win 7 or 8.  I was between meetings and said I didn't know how many games he predicted we would win, but I did remember he said "we could be favored in 7 or 8" depending how we start the season.  Then I provided the quote to back it up when I got home and looked at his magazine.  He said that.  Period.

As for the orange, the second paragraph of #113, take a look at #149.  Better yet, take a look at page 38 of Steele's 2018 Preview.  The quote attributed to him in RME's screen shot and in the 247 article RME references is contradicted by his article at page 38.  No big deal.  If you read the Preview, you'll find inconsistencies in the magazine itself. Steele does a great job of thinking outside of the box and compiling information.  Editing is not his strength.   

bphi11ips

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #169 on: July 13, 2018, 11:09:01 am »

Don't forget to press record! (It's the red button)

See you at Tin Roof at 4:30.

The court reporter will handle for me. 

Raincheck on Tin Roof.  I have to rearrange my sock drawer after the dep.  I did watch the last 20 minutes of England/Croatia there on Wednesday, though. 

bphi11ips

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #170 on: July 13, 2018, 11:11:13 am »

Great post - thanks for the info!

It sounds like Morris has a firm grasp and handle on the "mental" part of the program.  I highly praise any coach that puts the importance of mental toughness right up there with physical.  Because in many cases, the mental out weighs the physical in times of challenging, competing, and dominating the opponent.

Yep.  Not easy being objective, much less positive, here, with the mouth breathers and such.  It's fun tweaking them, though.  Keep up the good posts.  Maybe others will join us. 

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #171 on: July 13, 2018, 11:24:54 am »

As far as you know. 

Steele says a lot of what I've been saying.  For example, he says this in his SEC Forecast on Page 52:

"...the Hogs are not in a rebuilding year despite some major scheme changes on both offense and defense."

A few posters, one in particular, insisted recently that Arkansas is in a major rebuild.  I disagreed and used the same experience Steele cites as an explanation.  Why do I care and why do I post here?  First, I love the Razorbacks and have followed the football team for 50 years 24/7/365 the same way Steele says he works on college football.  The difference is that I only care about the Razorbacks.  The real reason I keep posting in the face the crowd of knee-jerk "we're going to suck this year because we have no talent and we don't have the same talent as other SEC teams and we are always going to suck" is to provide some perspective.  Arkansas doesn't suck.  Last year was an aberration, as indicated by Steele's SMI for 2018.  The last six years have been an aberration historically.  If you believe recruiting rankings, we are far superior to our OOC competition in 2018 and measure up well with half of our SEC schedule.  Over time, we're well positioned to recruit with a population of over 20,000,000 in our recruiting footprint.  We have drastically improved facilities.  There is a lot of reason to be optimistic about the future.  On the other hand, we'll have to play Alabama, LSU, Auburn and A&M every year.  So 10-2 and better seasons are going to be tough to achieve.  Can we be the next Clemson?  Chad Morris appears to believe it.  Until it doesn't happen, I'm going to at least believe it's a possibility.

While Steele says a lot of what I've been saying, he also says a lot of things that will support the "Arkansas sucks" crowd. For example, Steele has Arkansas at number 52 in his "Power Poll".  He says this poll "is based on overall talent of each team."  Marshall is 50.  Memphis is 44.  Really?  Marshall and Memphis have more talent than Arkansas?  Not according to recruiting rankings.  Either recruiting rankings are accurate or they aren't.  So many here want to have it both ways.  Arkansas can't compete in the SEC West because we average 25 and Alabama finishes number one more often than not, Auburn and LSU average around the Top 10, and A&M averages about 15.  Okay - we've beaten LSU 5 of the last 11 seasons.  Until Smiley, our record against Auburn was 10-10-1.  A&M?  Three of the last 4 have gone to OT.  Alabama? Fughidaboud it like everyone else, at least for now.  But here - Colorado state has averaged about 90 the past four years - yet they're a threat to beat Arkansas according to many here?  We can't beat teams who are 10 to 25 slots above us because of recruiting rankings, but a team 65 slots lower can beat us?  (Steele has CSU at 100 in his Power Poll.)  Sure, the game is in CSU and we have a new staff.  The game is not a guaranteed win.  But it will be a shocker if Arkansas loses.  They will not come out flat like they did against TCU in 2017.

In any event, I'd encourage college football junkies to pick up a copy of Steel's magazine.  I got mine at Barnes & Noble in Fayetteville in late June.  You can support just about any argument you want to make here with it.           

Good post. I find it very odd that some are calling this a major rebuilding year when the Hogs are returning 17 starters. That makes no sense at all. Chad and his staff aren't rebuilding, they are just placing the best players where they need to be while changing to a much better offensive philosophy and returning to a defense that the players were originally recruited to play. This is not a rebuilding year.

RyanMallettsEgo

• Take it easy, I'm pre-law.
« Reply #172 on: July 13, 2018, 11:26:52 am »

Apples and oranges.  As for the apple, I never said in #111 that Steele predicts now that we will win 7 or 8.  I was between meetings and said I didn't know how many games he predicted we would win, but I did remember he said "we could be favored in 7 or 8" depending how we start the season.  Then I provided the quote to back it up when I got home and looked at his magazine.  He said that.  Period.

As for the orange, the second paragraph of #113, take a look at #149.  Better yet, take a look at page 38 of Steele's 2018 Preview.  The quote attributed to him in RME's screen shot and in the 247 article RME references is contradicted by his article at page 38.  No big deal.  If you read the Preview, you'll find inconsistencies in the magazine itself. Steele does a great job of thinking outside of the box and compiling information.  Editing is not his strength.   

What about the quote straight from his mouth from the video of Bo Mattingly's interview with him?

bphi11ips

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #173 on: July 13, 2018, 11:35:00 am »

What about the quote straight from his mouth from the video of Bo Mattingly's interview with him?

I havenít heard the show and am sure thatís what he said. Okay?  That doesnít change the fact that his statdment contradicts what he writes in the magazine. So we both get to be right!  Yipee!

TuckerHog

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #174 on: July 13, 2018, 03:41:28 pm »

I really don't give a rip what Phil Steele says, what Bo says, what harry King says or anyone else.  What I do know is coaching makes a difference. Reference 2012.  I believe that Hogs will win 7 games and possibly 8 this year.

PorkSoda

« Reply #175 on: July 13, 2018, 03:53:57 pm »

I agree that overcoming deficiencies at Oline is going to be morris's biggest challenge.

It can be done though.  by morphing into a quick hitting offense.  you cant have slow developing plays combined with a porous oline.

nchogg

• Senior
« Reply #176 on: July 13, 2018, 04:01:09 pm »

The reason the Hogs will be better is because they have a new staff and a head coach that will make them accountable.

PorkSoda

« Reply #177 on: July 13, 2018, 04:13:08 pm »

The reason the Hogs will be better is because they have a new staff and a head coach that will make them accountable.

sure but the real question is whether better will be enough.

in the SEC being good isn't good enough when you have to play the best week in and week out.

I'm interested to see what morris brings to the table.

TuckerHog

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #178 on: July 13, 2018, 04:20:52 pm »

Well if you are talking about the dinner table he brings a whole lot less than the previous coach.

To the ability to coach young men and make then winners table, he is so far ahead of the last coach it's not measureable.

rhames

« Reply #179 on: July 13, 2018, 04:36:35 pm »

Well if you are talking about the dinner table he brings a whole lot less than the previous coach.

To the ability to coach young men and make then winners table, he is so far ahead of the last coach it's not measureable.

I like Morris and he will do well here in my opinion. But to be devil's advocate he still has to prove this. The most games he has ever won in a season is 7. It took him 3 seasons to get there at SMU.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #180 on: July 13, 2018, 05:01:56 pm »

I like Morris and he will do well here in my opinion. But to be devil's advocate he still has to prove this. The most games he has ever won in a season is 7. It took him 3 seasons to get there at SMU.

True, but the talent at Arkansas is far better than what he had at SMU. He also had a coaching problem on the Defensive side of the ball down there, that's why he only brought 1 defensive assistant with him. He has seriously upgraded the defensive staff from what he had at SMU.

rhames

« Reply #181 on: July 13, 2018, 05:06:03 pm »

True, but the talent at Arkansas is far better than what he had at SMU. He also had a coaching problem on the Defensive side of the ball down there, that's why he only brought 1 defensive assistant with him. He has seriously upgraded the defensive staff from what he had at SMU.

Sure. But how does the SMU talent compare to other teams in their conference? I'd say its probably pretty close to where Arkansas compares in the sec.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #182 on: July 13, 2018, 06:28:47 pm »

Sure. But how does the SMU talent compare to other teams in their conference? I'd say its probably pretty close to where Arkansas compares in the sec.

It was pretty close in Chad's 3rd year at SMU but not in the first 2 years. If you compare the talent he inherited at SMU when he arrived with the talent he inherited at Arkansas upon arrival it isn't even remotely close. He had to totally rebuild that SMU program from almost the ground up but he doesn't have to do that here.

TuckerHog

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #183 on: July 13, 2018, 06:35:54 pm »

I would agree when the previous coach left. But we have some talent that was not used correctly or trained correctly.  Morris will change that.

Hawginj

« Reply #184 on: July 13, 2018, 08:18:44 pm »

I would agree when the previous coach left. But we have some talent that was not used correctly or trained correctly.  Morris will change that.
You are 100% correct. We have talent and it was used wrong or not used at all due to the the clique mentality of the coaching staff.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Nadine Coyle shakin it for the Hogs!!!!
« Reply #185 on: July 13, 2018, 08:45:54 pm »

If you want to draw those comparisons, in the signing year before Morris arrived at SMU (2014) they ranked #9 out of 11 teams.

2015-1st Year: #6 out of 12
2016-2nd Year: #7 out of 12
2017-3rd Year: #7 out of 12

SEC Equivalent
2015- #7 out of 14 = Ole Miss
2016-#8 out of 14 = Texas A&M
2017-#8 out of 14 = S. Carolina

Arkansas
2015-#11 out of 14
2016-#9 out of 14
2017-#10 out of 14

If we wind up in that territory, it will be an improvement.

PorkSoda

« Reply #186 on: July 14, 2018, 12:06:44 am »

sure its measurable, its measured in wins.  he currently has zero.

if he finishes with more than 6, it will be a clear improvement over the previous coach.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #187 on: July 14, 2018, 06:52:20 am »

sure its measurable, its measured in wins.  he currently has zero.

if he finishes with more than 6, it will be a clear improvement over the previous coach.

To put it in perspective If the Hogs win 6 games this year, Chad Morris would have a better first year at Arkansas than either Bielema or Petrino.

Hogindasticks

« Reply #188 on: July 14, 2018, 07:22:08 am »

Coach Morris is going to be much more effective with these kids than coach Bielema ever thought about being.  After watching his recruiting efforts and seeing how effective he is in marketing the school and after seeing how well Coach Craddock can coach and how competent he was in the spring game, I think we are in for a treat. If you watch how this coaching staff is operating each of the individuals has their own position and are working for specific goals. Coach Morris is being more of a marketing person in this scenario even though he was the offensive mind at Clemson. Coach Craddock seems to be the major asset for the offense. I really think he has his stuff together.

rhames

« Reply #189 on: July 14, 2018, 08:10:48 am »

If you want to draw those comparisons, in the signing year before Morris arrived at SMU (2014) they ranked #9 out of 11 teams.

2015-1st Year: #6 out of 12
2016-2nd Year: #7 out of 12
2017-3rd Year: #7 out of 12

SEC Equivalent
2015- #7 out of 14 = Ole Miss
2016-#8 out of 14 = Texas A&M
2017-#8 out of 14 = S. Carolina

Arkansas
2015-#11 out of 14
2016-#9 out of 14
2017-#10 out of 14

If we wind up in that territory, it will be an improvement.

While good info that actually makes me a little more cautious. I would have thought SMU was more towards the bottom than the middle. 

Dark Helmet Hog

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Now let's see how well you handle it...
« Reply #190 on: July 14, 2018, 08:12:01 am »

Well, if you believe the recruiting rankings, we have top 25 talent for the most part. Also, Fanonthehill used to be pretty consistent in stating that the previous staff was trying to fit a square peg in a round hole talent wise and that the team was built more for a wide open offense than the power game. I tend to agree with this and it's also what the majority of them ran in high school. They'll adapt to CM's offense quickly.

Defensively we almost have to be better. At least the new scheme should go after the QB and be more aggresive. That by itself can create good opportunties.

Overal, Arkansas will be better and I believe we might surprise some people. Yes, I am saying there's a chance...

bphi11ips

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #191 on: July 14, 2018, 08:36:38 am »

While good info that actually makes me a little more cautious. I would have thought SMU was more towards the bottom than the middle. 

What Muskogee's numbers show is the progression for program building. Chad Morris' upperclassmen in his first two years were June Jones' recruits. Morris immediately improved SMU's relative recruiting position within the conference by 30% while taking a 1-11 team to 2-10, 5-7 and 7-5. Morris had a winning season the only year his own recruits reached their third year.

Most numbers are meaningless without context.

PygmalionEffect2

« Reply #192 on: July 14, 2018, 08:42:01 am »

To me Hammonds has not shown that he is a SEC back. I realize he hasn't had that many carries but when he has carried the ball he runs full out like Wingo.
Against lesser teams if he can get to the edge he has had good gains. He needs to learn to run with control and use different gears.

Outside of one game last year, Hammonds was the most ineffective back I saw play in the SEC last year.

Wingo is a good comparison.  Just a lighter less talented Wingo.

Players get stronger in their second year, not sure I've seen too many get mentally tougher.  Usually if you have that, it shows up the first play you're in on.  Let's hope that's not the case with Hammonds.

redneckfriend

• Senior
« Reply #193 on: July 14, 2018, 08:53:02 am »

Well, if you believe the recruiting rankings, we have top 25 talent for the most part. Also, Fanonthehill used to be pretty consistent in stating that the previous staff was trying to fit a square peg in a round hole talent wise and that the team was built more for a wide open offense than the power game. I tend to agree with this and it's also what the majority of them ran in high school. They'll adapt to CM's offense quickly.

Defensively we almost have to be better. At least the new scheme should go after the QB and be more aggresive. That by itself can create good opportunties.

Overal, Arkansas will be better and I believe we might surprise some people. Yes, I am saying there's a chance...

Top 25 talent "for the most part"? What does it take to win consistently in the SEC west would you say- I mean by that beat Alabama, Auburn, LSU every other year, beat Mississippi, Miss. St., A&M, two years out of three? Top 15 talent, top 10 talent, top 5 talent? How many of those schools do you honestly believe we will beat next year without a proven SEC quarterback?

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #194 on: July 14, 2018, 09:30:58 am »

I've been saying that very thing since the day it was announced that Jeff Long hired Bret Bielema. Hiring a head coach who runs a big 10 power running offense to coach a team build to run the spread is trying to put a square peg in a round hole and it didn't work. The hiring of Chad Morris is a strong move toward correcting that monumental mistake.

Dark Helmet Hog

« Reply #195 on: July 14, 2018, 12:37:00 pm »

I've been saying that very thing since the day it was announced that Jeff Long hired Bret Bielema. Hiring a head coach who runs a big 10 power running offense to coach a team build to run the spread is trying to put a square peg in a round hole and it didn't work. The hiring of Chad Morris is a strong move toward correcting that monumental mistake.

I would have liked for the power offense to have worked but I agree it wasn't handled correctly.

Dark Helmet Hog

« Reply #196 on: July 14, 2018, 12:47:23 pm »

Top 25 talent "for the most part"? What does it take to win consistently in the SEC west would you say- I mean by that beat Alabama, Auburn, LSU every other year, beat Mississippi, Miss. St., A&M, two years out of three? Top 15 talent, top 10 talent, top 5 talent? How many of those schools do you honestly believe we will beat next year without a proven SEC quarterback?

I am not a fan of recruiting rankings. Yeah, they can give an overall feel for talent level but they are also too subjective and too many variables are at work. To answer your question, we should be competitive with every team in the West except Bama right now. Coaching, in my opinion, has been the biggest downfall. I believe Petrino showed what a difference the right coach can make. Has our overall talent really changed  that much year to year?

bigpigpimpin

« Reply #197 on: July 14, 2018, 01:59:39 pm »

He hasn't had the opportunity. I think he shows up big this year.

thebignasty

• I find your lack of faith... disturbing.
« Reply #198 on: July 14, 2018, 02:04:55 pm »

He hasn't had the opportunity. I think he shows up big this year.

Don't know if Hammond's can shoulder a major load, but he has shown he's dangerous when he touches the ball.  I think he'd be lethal in the screen game.

redneckfriend

• Senior
« Reply #199 on: July 14, 2018, 02:58:27 pm »

I am not a fan of recruiting rankings. Yeah, they can give an overall feel for talent level but they are also too subjective and too many variables are at work. To answer your question, we should be competitive with every team in the West except Bama right now. Coaching, in my opinion, has been the biggest downfall. I believe Petrino showed what a difference the right coach can make. Has our overall talent really changed  that much year to year?

No, it hasn't but your theory suffers from a very big assumption. Petrino was, among other things, a very good college coach. He may have been the best coach in the SEC west when he was here- given the talent disparity with other teams. We have absolutely no idea how good of a coach Morris is but I think it is unlikely he is another Petrino.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas