• 9,881,456 Posts
• 398,174 Topics
• 22,802 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Reasons the hogs will be better  (Read 9868 times)

bigpigpimpin

Reasons the hogs will be better
« on: July 10, 2018, 10:04:56 am »

1. Kelley will be your starter at QB. Since neither him nor Storey has separated, Cole gets the nod based on experience. With the new scheme spreading the field, who's gonna stop the steamboat powering up the middle? Also, he was effective throwing short routes and screens, now he has to improve the longer routes....but....

2. A lot of that has to do with his receivers. Those guys cannot be worse than they were last year. They have some talent there, but for whatever reason it just hasn't clicked yet. Some guys will emerge this year. Cornelius is back and is a team leader and a playmaker. Also, with the spread scheme these guys will likely have more route running and decoy routes than true blocking assignments. That will help. Not to mention the tight end will be used in the passing game in several different functions, and we are really good there.

The offensive line will take a blow by losing Ragnow, but again the system will take extra guys out of the box to block. That, and surely to goodness they will be coached better. We made little to no improvement here in the last two years.

Running back- Everyone in Razorback nation knew TJ Hammonds needed to have the ball in his hands except for Enos and Beilema, and Whaley will be a step quicker after losing 20 pounds of fat by Herb. We should be really good at running back.

On defense, we were about as good as swiss cheese last year. But, we should be good at linebacker and have experience returning in the secondary.

We were absolutely awful at stopping the run last year. Statistically the worst defense in school history. If we can just be respectable this year there, and I think we will with Chavis leading them, then a winning season is possible.

The kicking game should be solid this year.

So, I will be first to admit that I tend to lean more to the pessimistic side of things on this board. We still lack a QB we can trust, speed, and depth....however I think this team may look ugly the first 3 games but just may surprise someone late.

Most people it seems think 6-6 with a 6-3 start before dropping the last 3 to go 6-6....which in reality would be acceptable. However, if a 6-3 Arkansas team meets LSU in Fayetteville on senior day, the Hill will be rockin, Mississippi state is going through a coaching transition too, and Missouri is not that great. I just dont see Arkansas dropping all 3 of those games. So, I will say an optimistic
7-5. Remember, we were only a few plays away from winning 7 or 8 games last year, and I think this is a better team.

ReservoirHog

Re: Reasons the hogs will be better
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2018, 10:17:48 am »

I'm all for optimism, but neither Kelley nor Storey has shown in game action or the most recent spring game that they can command this offense without turning the ball over or hanging onto the ball too long / making late reads.

Additionally, I think you underestimate how bad the offensive line has been, and perhaps make assumptions about the benefits of a system change. There's no guarantee that opposing defenses will refuse to terrorize us on the ends as they've done the last few seasons. We've had absolutely no answer at the tackle position, and it only takes one speedy end to get to a QB, regardless of the offensive scheme.

We have yet to see any gamebreaking ability from our RBs or WRs, save for a couple runs from Devwah and TJ. Our WRs by all accounts did not know the plays, couldn't/wouldn't block downfield, or were out of shape. I hope that has changed. Cornelius is a great presence and leader, but does not possess gamebreaking ability.

Our defense remains a huge liability until it proves itself worthy of any optimism. Our line has been manhandled in the run game, and we've had no consistent QB pressure since Philon and Flowers left. Again, I hope that changes, and I know that is one of Chavis' calling cards.
We are undersized and slow across the board at LB and in the secondary, and have yet to prove that we can tackle consistently or defend the deep ball without getting burned or interfering.

Do we have some talent? Sure. Do we have guys who can step up and make plays? Sure.

But the bottom line is we haven't seen it, and it takes time to implement a system and conditioning overhaul. The SEC has not gotten any weaker since last season. Six wins would be a huge improvement. Anything more than that would be shocking, in my opinion.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2018, 11:21:29 am »

I'm all for optimism, but neither Kelley nor Storey has shown in game action or the most recent spring game that they can command this offense without turning the ball over or hanging onto the ball too long / making late reads.

Additionally, I think you underestimate how bad the offensive line has been, and perhaps make assumptions about the benefits of a system change. There's no guarantee that opposing defenses will refuse to terrorize us on the ends as they've done the last few seasons. We've had absolutely no answer at the tackle position, and it only takes one speedy end to get to a QB, regardless of the offensive scheme.

We have yet to see any gamebreaking ability from our RBs or WRs, save for a couple runs from Devwah and TJ. Our WRs by all accounts did not know the plays, couldn't/wouldn't block downfield, or were out of shape. I hope that has changed. Cornelius is a great presence and leader, but does not possess gamebreaking ability.

Our defense remains a huge liability until it proves itself worthy of any optimism. Our line has been manhandled in the run game, and we've had no consistent QB pressure since Philon and Flowers left. Again, I hope that changes, and I know that is one of Chavis' calling cards.
We are undersized and slow across the board at LB and in the secondary, and have yet to prove that we can tackle consistently or defend the deep ball without getting burned or interfering.

Do we have some talent? Sure. Do we have guys who can step up and make plays? Sure.

But the bottom line is we haven't seen it, and it takes time to implement a system and conditioning overhaul. The SEC has not gotten any weaker since last season. Six wins would be a huge improvement. Anything more than that would be shocking, in my opinion.

I don't remember Kelley turning the ball over during the Spring Game but Storey had a major league turnover just before the end of the first half.

BigE_23

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2018, 11:24:37 am »

I'm trying to be optimistic about this season...but our QB situation is what makes me the most nervous.

I'm interested to see what happens with Storey, but I'm pretty confident in saying that Kelley isn't the answer. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if Noland or Jones are getting snaps by week 3, maybe week 2.

HF#1

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2018, 11:26:44 am »

I'm trying to be optimistic about this season...but our QB situation is what makes me the most nervous.

I'm interested to see what happens with Storey, but I'm pretty confident in saying that Kelley isn't the answer. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if Noland or Jones are getting snaps by week 3, maybe week 2.

Morris has the flexibility with the new red-shirting rules to do just that.

Al Boarland

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2018, 11:53:11 am »

Those guys cannot be worse than they were last year.

If I had a dollar for every time I read that here leading up to the 2017 season.   ;D

Sed76

• Hogvillian
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2018, 12:11:58 pm »

We should have at least a competent defense for the first time in years and we won't have clueless Bert staring off into space while things implode. Those two things alone give me hope that things will be better. I'm sure we will take some licks but expect to see improvement over what we have seen the past couple of seasons.

widespreadsooie

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2018, 12:20:28 pm »

I always appreciate skepticism but the OP was pretty reasonable I thought. I think your mistaking by not considering what Chase Hayden has proved he can do. I also believe the defense, especially the secondary, will be much improved with Pulley back and a year under Calloway and Kurl's belts. Not sure why your underselling the return of Cornelius either. What is gamebreaking ability anyway?

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2018, 12:25:26 pm »

Jackson may be a star soon at WR.

Hammonds needed to learn how to be a RB instead of get ball and go.  Works vs Coastal.  Not the SEC.   Think our running game will be a strength.   

HogPharmer

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2018, 12:40:17 pm »

Hammonds needed to learn how to be a RB instead of get ball and go.  Works vs Coastal.  Not the SEC.   Think our running game will be a strength.

Hammonds couldn't learn anything only getting 3-5 touches a game last year at the end of the season.

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2018, 12:51:42 pm »

Hammonds couldn't learn anything only getting 3-5 touches a game last year at the end of the season.

TJ should have been RS as a Fr. And shouldn’t have moved to WR. Wasted development time.

Bubba's Bruisers

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2018, 12:52:07 pm »

Huge question mark at QB, the most important position on the field.  Huge question mark at the OL, maybe the 2nd most important position on the field. 

I won’t even bother with the defense.  This time every year we claim that we’ll be improved.  Never happens.  So will assume more of the same until something actually does improve.

And I don’t know that we have a single game changing type player on the team.  Hayden is the only one I’ve seen that might have that ability.

Pork Ranger

• Senior
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2018, 12:53:22 pm »

Reason #1: Bret Bielema will not be the coach

HF#1

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2018, 12:53:55 pm »

Reason #1: Bret Bielema will not be the coach

I like this answer.

hawgfan4life

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2018, 01:00:23 pm »

Our QBs will show improvement or we will see a FR playing.  An individual I know in Greenwood talks regularly with a former high school coach who has had several players play in the NFL and D1.  That former coach says that the Greenwood QB could have started for Arkansas last year after the starter was injured.  He knows talent and watched most of Greenwood's games.  I know the coach as well, but haven't talked to him in years.  He knows what he is talking about when he talks football.

If our OL shows any kind of improvement, our offense will be light years better.  If our offense improves, the defense will get better too because other teams will not feel free to gamble so much and hit big plays.

Con el Cerdos

« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2018, 01:05:12 pm »

I almost gave you a LIKE on your post.  But quickly realized I didn't like what you posted but do agree with it 100%.  Just haven't seen consistent enough play from Storey or Kelley to even finish 6-6.

I've only seen tape on Noland but he appears to pass and run well, at least in high school he did.  Jones, I've seen play as a high school jr. and sr.  Definitely a winner there but size does matter in the SEC.  The desirable thing about Jones is he is tough as hell and he never stops competing.

Hogindasticks

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2018, 01:32:02 pm »

You do realize we have 2 new receivers this year?  6'4" both?  Thus the reason to watch recruiting and not guess.

BigE_23

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2018, 01:43:53 pm »

I almost gave you a LIKE on your post.  But quickly realized I didn't like what you posted but do agree with it 100%.  Just haven't seen consistent enough play from Storey or Kelley to even finish 6-6.

I've only seen tape on Noland but he appears to pass and run well, at least in high school he did.  Jones, I've seen play as a high school jr. and sr.  Definitely a winner there but size does matter in the SEC.  The desirable thing about Jones is he is tough as hell and he never stops competing.

Thanks for the affirmation anyway ;)

I really like JSJ...reminds me a lot of a certain former undersized 3* recruit from Texas who shall remain nameless...but it rhymes with Lonnie Tanziel.

Hogindasticks

« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2018, 01:47:16 pm »

I think he may have less pressure on him than anyone.  Which may allow him to motor like he did in high school....may be the most elusive qb we have right now.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2018, 01:49:57 pm »

Thanks for the affirmation anyway ;)

I really like JSJ...reminds me a lot of a certain former undersized 3* recruit from Texas who shall remain nameless...but it rhymes with Lonnie Tanziel.

I disagree with you about Kelley. You are really underestimating him and you aren't the only one.

Too many people have forgotten what type of QB Arkansas used the last time the Hogs ran the Spread and won 10 games 2 straight years.

oldman1015

« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2018, 02:21:41 pm »

1. Kelley will be your starter at QB. Since neither him nor Storey has separated, Cole gets the nod based on experience. With the new scheme spreading the field, who's gonna stop the steamboat powering up the middle? Also, he was effective throwing short routes and screens, now he has to improve the longer routes....but....

2. A lot of that has to do with his receivers. Those guys cannot be worse than they were last year. They have some talent there, but for whatever reason it just hasn't clicked yet. Some guys will emerge this year. Cornelius is back and is a team leader and a playmaker. Also, with the spread scheme these guys will likely have more route running and decoy routes than true blocking assignments. That will help. Not to mention the tight end will be used in the passing game in several different functions, and we are really good there.

The offensive line will take a blow by losing Ragnow, but again the system will take extra guys out of the box to block. That, and surely to goodness they will be coached better. We made little to no improvement here in the last two years.

Running back- Everyone in Razorback nation knew TJ Hammonds needed to have the ball in his hands except for Enos and Beilema, and Whaley will be a step quicker after losing 20 pounds of fat by Herb. We should be really good at running back.

On defense, we were about as good as swiss cheese last year. But, we should be good at linebacker and have experience returning in the secondary.

We were absolutely awful at stopping the run last year. Statistically the worst defense in school history. If we can just be respectable this year there, and I think we will with Chavis leading them, then a winning season is possible.

The kicking game should be solid this year.

So, I will be first to admit that I tend to lean more to the pessimistic side of things on this board. We still lack a QB we can trust, speed, and depth....however I think this team may look ugly the first 3 games but just may surprise someone late.

Most people it seems think 6-6 with a 6-3 start before dropping the last 3 to go 6-6....which in reality would be acceptable. However, if a 6-3 Arkansas team meets LSU in Fayetteville on senior day, the Hill will be rockin, Mississippi state is going through a coaching transition too, and Missouri is not that great. I just dont see Arkansas dropping all 3 of those games. So, I will say an optimistic
7-5. Remember, we were only a few plays away from winning 7 or 8 games last year, and I think this is a better team.
Hammonds has to learn to block.

SPAL

• Administrator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • I like Big Mike and I cannot lie
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2018, 02:29:35 pm »

Total statement of curiosity, not disagreeing at all....I actually think you're pretty knowledgeable.....but, what makes you think Jackson is on the verge of stardom?

navyhog24

« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2018, 02:31:33 pm »

Reasons the hogs will be better

Can't get much worse. No Bert or Kurt.

SPAL

• Administrator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • I like Big Mike and I cannot lie
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2018, 02:32:15 pm »

I think you have to throw the experience factor out the window with Cole and Ty. Unless you're specifically talking about in game experience, which I don't see being much of an advantage either way.

PharmacistHog

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Gameday Goon
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2018, 02:39:35 pm »

I think you have to throw the experience factor out the window with Cole and Ty. Unless you're specifically talking about in game experience, which I don't see being much of an advantage either way.

I think most people are basing this on that stupid spring game where the QB's were playing in sleet and cold and if they were touched they were down.  That spring game didn't mean ANYTHING.  I think Kelley will be much better than most here think. 

DuvallFallsHog1975

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2018, 02:54:11 pm »

I think we can win 4, maybe 5 games.  Five games would be great for this team.

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2018, 02:59:26 pm »

Total statement of curiosity, not disagreeing at all....I actually think you're pretty knowledgeable.....but, what makes you think Jackson is on the verge of stardom?

What I've heard on his ability from high school coaches in Arkansas, what he was doing last year before the injury, his physical stature (6-2 and maybe 215-220 at least) + speed, large hands, the system and the lack of proven options at the position.  You always worry about the mental aspect when someone comes back from something like an ACL.  But if I had to choose someone who is going to be the breakout star at wr in this new system it would be Jackson. 

Hopefully Pettway takes a big step forward.  Woods looked really good in the Spring game for someone his age playing college competition.  No worries about Cornelius if he stays healthy.  Martin, Nance, Jones are like Pettway.  They need to step up. 

31to6

« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2018, 03:49:19 pm »

Maybe not longterm. But there is something you cannot know about a QB until you actually see it:

Has this guy walked out and taken the first snap from scrimmage on the road in the SEC?

Mop up time doesn't count.
Spring game doesn't count.
All the practice in the world doesn't count.

What counts is can the guy move the chains when the lights are on.

We know Cole has holes in his game. We know he will make some mistakes. But we also know he's not going to loose his s--- and implode the first time some 'bama DT plants him or he throws an INT. We know he will dust himself off and go back in and compete.

The other guys on the roster might do just as well. They might do better.

But game experience definitely counts.

bphi11ips

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I need help with my footwork, too.
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2018, 04:35:55 pm »

Maybe not longterm. But there is something you cannot know about a QB until you actually see it:

Has this guy walked out and taken the first snap from scrimmage on the road in the SEC?

Mop up time doesn't count.
Spring game doesn't count.
All the practice in the world doesn't count.

What counts is can the guy move the chains when the lights are on.

We know Cole has holes in his game. We know he will make some mistakes. But we also know he's not going to loose his s--- and implode the first time some 'bama DT plants him or he throws an INT. We know he will dust himself off and go back in and compete.

The other guys on the roster might do just as well. They might do better.

But game experience definitely counts.

As a group, Hogville invariably expects too much from young QBs. Pick any QB - Matthew Stafford, Scott Tolzien, Ryan Mallett, Clint Stoerner, Casey Dick, and Brandon Allen are good examples - and check the progression of their college stats by year.  You'll find very few Johnny Manziel's.

Cole Kelley's stats are better than Clint Stoerner's at the same stage of their careers.  Does anyone think he doesn't know the things he needs to focus on during the offseason?  Does anyone doubt his competitive spirit?  Does anyone doubt Ty Storey's?  We don't yet have a QB who has shown the ability to carry the team by himself.  But we don't need that to win the games we should win or to keep us in the winnable games.  What we have are several QBs who can do that.  We have some age and experience at the top of the depth chart. 

One of Arkansas's problems during Bielema's tenure was the lack of a reliable backup.  Part of that may have been Bielema's preference to play his starter virtually 100% of snaps. Regardless, we now have several QBs who look like a viable option to answer if CCM calls "next".

I think Tom Brady would have a hard time closing the talent gap against Alabama and Auburn.  Otherwise, the QBs we have on the roster should be able to win or give us a shot at the rest.

I love our backs and WRs, who are underrated as a group.

Hogindasticks

« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2018, 04:40:39 pm »

Going into business.....got a ton of crow to kill here in the sticks for all you guys that know it all but don't even know who the players are that will be on the field. Smh

HogPharmer

« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2018, 04:51:47 pm »

I think most people are basing this on that stupid spring game where the QB's were playing in sleet and cold and if they were touched they were down.  That spring game didn't mean ANYTHING.  I think Kelley will be much better than most here think.

Not to mention the spring game was in LR....

PharmacistHog

• Global Moderator
  • Gameday Goon
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2018, 05:08:26 pm »

Not to mention the spring game was in LR....

If we have a half decent OL and passing game, I just don't see how Kelley will not be good.  If a receiver can't get open, I just can't imagine him not getting at least 3 or 4 yards scrambling.  Hell, he was getting that many when they KNEW he was gonna run the ball.  I just think Morris should be able to work wonders with Kelley.  I'm excited to see what he can do. 

Iwastherein1969

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Lana Lokteff a non apologetic Nordic lady, RED ICE
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2018, 05:23:04 pm »

Storey gets in the game and his vaunted Charleston High School arm turns from Gumby to pure jello. The guy will not put any heat on the ball. Why ? Well either he can't or won't. An analogy if I may, its like a golfer who has a three foot putt up hill which is inside right. Most professionals will put the ball hard enough to take the break out of the putt and aim for 'center cut', but every now and then you have a guy who aims his put just outside the edge and tries to make the last turn of the ball break left into the side of the cup.  Storey is the guy who tries to baby the putt into the side and Cole is the guy who putts the ball hard enough to take the break out of the putt and watches it go straight in the middle. All that to say this. When game time rolls around, I'd much rather have a guy who plays with confidence than a guy who hopes something good will happen.

Hogcore

« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2018, 05:39:10 pm »

I’m not really an optimistic kind of guy. However, I believe Razorback Football is going to be a lot more exciting than it has been in the previous few years, obviously. A 6-6 season and a bowl game appearance is really pushing it for me, but there is no reason why we can’t beat someone we’re not supposed to. Ready to see RRS loud and rowdy again.

HogPharmer

« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2018, 05:54:48 pm »

If we have a half decent OL and passing game, I just don't see how Kelley will not be good.  If a receiver can't get open, I just can't imagine him not getting at least 3 or 4 yards scrambling.  Hell, he was getting that many when they KNEW he was gonna run the ball.  I just think Morris should be able to work wonders with Kelley.  I'm excited to see what he can do.

Hell Kelley can take the snap and fall forward for 4 yards every play. I say CCM just run that play every down and he’ll be more successful moving the ball and dominating TOP than Bielema ever was.

HogBreath

« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2018, 05:59:19 pm »

I know the coach as well, but haven't talked to him in years. 

He knows what he is talking about when he talks football.

That sure sounds a lot like me.  We should talk more often.

31to6

« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2018, 06:37:37 pm »

As a group, Hogville invariably expects too much from young QBs. Pick any QB - Matthew Stafford, Scott Tolzien, Ryan Mallett, Clint Stoerner, Casey Dick, and Brandon Allen are good examples - and check the progression of their college stats by year.  You'll find very few Johnny Manziel's.
Agree. I think it goes for lots of fans of lots of teams.

How often does the recruit who "will be a starter from day one" actually start? Maybe 5% to 10% of the time? And mostly at skill positions which can contribute early.

It's usually pretty darn rare and has as much to do with depth as it does with the incoming guy being that much better than the experienced guys ahead of him if the roster is balanced.

flagstaffhog

« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2018, 06:44:06 pm »

I’m ready for some Razorback football

Go HOGS Go!

Iwastherein1969

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2018, 07:16:04 pm »

I’m ready for some Razorback football

Go HOGS Go!
Yeah, me too. Don't think I could have went a foot further after the baseball season we had and how things turned out as they did.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90UVFydn-5U

ad: Man, do those USC cheerleader seem to unusually blessed by the Good Lord in the boobs department or is it just my imagination ?

Biggus Piggus

• Escaped Journalist
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville: The mosh pit of Razorbackland
« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2018, 07:45:01 pm »

Our No. 1 goal should be to lift the Arkansas football program out of the disaster it became in 2017.

Bret Bielema's legacy:

* "Power football" team with no power.
* "Recruit and develop" program that did too little of both.
* Chronically short on offensive linemen, especially tackles.
* Employed plumped-up tweeners on defense, to disastrous ends.

Our head football coach failed so miserably that he got his AD fired. The Razorbacks lost games they should not have lost (Missouri, aTm) and barely escaped Coastal Carolina. But the no-hope efforts against TCU, South Carolina, Alabama, Auburn and LSU were intolerably frequent.

The Hogs in Bielema's last gasp were outscored an average of 28-21 in quarters 2-4. In November, the Porkers were out-pointed 81-49 after halftime.

Mizzou wrote the thesis on why Bielema's brand of football was failing. Arkansas started well and grabbed a two-TD lead. The Tigers, despite some INTs, wore down the Hogs with quick tempo and high efficiency. In quarters 2 and 4 Missouri scored 41 points to Arkansas's 17. The Hogs dominated their rested quarters, 1 and 3, by a 28-7 score.

Missouri outperformed Arkansas in these important ways:

* First downs, 35-19
* Rushes, 60-31
* Rushing yards, 248-133
* Passes, 42-30
* Passing yards, 448-313
* Passing TDs, 5-2
* Total plays, 102-61
* Total offense, 696-446 (no, this was not an overtime game)
* Time of possession, 33:21-26:39

Missouri, with its star back suspended, used three ballcarriers all day -- RB Ish Witter (39-170), RB Larry Rountree (15-52), and QB Drew Lock (3-44 excluding sacks). That's it.

Arkansas was unable to sustain enough drives because it was terrible on third downs, 5-13. Mizzou was 10-18.

Third and short only happened once, and it was a 1-yard TD by Austin Allen. The Hogs blew a third and 3 near midfield. Failed on a third and 4 near midfield. The rest were third and long to very long.

Everything hinged on whether the offense could do something on first down. Arkansas ran 18 times and passed 10 times on first downs. Of the 18 runs, five went for zero or worse, two for 1 yard, and the other 12 amassed 97 yards. The passing though ... 5-10, only 4 gaining yards.

On the other side, Missouri ran 27 times on first downs. One carry had no gain. Four went for a yard. Ten made 2-3 yards. The other 12 gained between 4-22 yards.

Lock missed six of his first seven passes on first downs. Then he completed his next 10. For 172 yards.

In a game where Arkansas should have been able to run + got a quick lead, the play selection was 29 runs, 32 pass plays.

Our pass-happy opponent ran 57 times (ex-sacks) vs. 45 pass plays (including sacks).

Bielema lost his job because of his defense, but the dysfunction of the offense was part of that. The offense put the D in bad positions too often, and it repeatedly wore out.

That's why Bielema's last Arkansas defense allowed 36 points per game -- "led" by the rushing defense.

The worst-ever run D at Fayetteville was in 2016, the team that gave up 39 ground TDs.

From a yards-allowed perspective, 2017 was awful (though it lowered the TD gusher to 28). Excluding sacks (which are really failed pass plays), Arkansas's run D looked like this:

* 2,565 yards allowed on non-negative rushes
* -84 yards (-7 per game) in lost-yardage tackles
* 450 carries
* 5.5 yards allowed per carry

Chad Morris's main problem is that Bielema failed to recruit all positions with equal effort + tried to cover for it by "transforming" good athletes into positional misfits. Even if Morris gets the whole roster into the right positions and in proper condition, he cannot escape the holes that Bielema left.

The biggest holes = the shortage of high-end talent on the Oline, Dline and linebacker. But Morris can fix a number of things that Bielema mismanaged.

Such as offensive identity. True balance, which doesn't mean doing something you suck at just because it's not what you don't suck at. And defensive strategy and tactics.

Did you notice that -7 on lost-yardage tackles per game? That was a strategic choice to keep our players out of the opposing backfield. It was very wrong.

If Morris deploys an offense that doesn't get chronically stuck in third and long + doesn't waste scoring opportunities; if his defense attacks instead of waiting to get steamrolled; and if he shows he cares about special teams, Arkansas's program will take a step in the right direction this season.

And that means how many wins? At this point, I don't care. Let's close the wounds first.

Iwastherein1969

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2018, 07:54:07 pm »

I agree with the vast majority of the above.^^^^^

hawginbigd1

« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2018, 08:04:39 pm »

BP pretty solid, recruiting was better than we have ever had imo light on interior line on both sides, hardest positions to recruit at a high level. I think the 1s will be solid on both sides of the line, but depth will be an issue. LB i think we are solid, more depth there than people think.

porkrindjimmy

« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2018, 08:44:46 pm »

I think Storey gets the nod. Just a gut feeling.

I also believe we will be 6-3 after game 9.

PRJ

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Nadine Coyle shakin it for the Hogs!!!!
« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2018, 09:52:37 pm »

What I've heard on his ability from high school coaches in Arkansas, what he was doing last year before the injury, his physical stature (6-2 and maybe 215-220 at least) + speed, large hands, the system and the lack of proven options at the position.  You always worry about the mental aspect when someone comes back from something like an ACL.  But if I had to choose someone who is going to be the breakout star at wr in this new system it would be Jackson. 

Hopefully Pettway takes a big step forward.  Woods looked really good in the Spring game for someone his age playing college competition.  No worries about Cornelius if he stays healthy.  Martin, Nance, Jones are like Pettway.  They need to step up. 

I think we will see 5 WR's really step it up this season and I expect that through 12 games we will see the following.

Nance will catch an average of 5 p/gm as opposed to LY's 3.5 and he will have almost 900 receiving yards.
Stewart will catch 4 instead of 2.8 p/gm LY and have almost 600 yards.
Pettway caught an average of less than 1 p/gm last year and this year I think he goes to 3 p/gm and will have a hair over 500 yds.
Hammonds will have 3 p/gm and will have 550-600 receiving yards.
Finally, I think Cornelius goes out with a pretty good season averaging 4 catches p/gm for just over 700 yards.

There will be others who contribute among the WR's and the RB's so I think we throw for somewhere around 3400 yards next season through 12 games. It also wouldn't surprise me to see us run for another 2100 yards or so. That would be about 430-450 yds of total offense p/gm.

Do that and have our defense improve to just average levels (say 370 p/gm) and we will win more than many expect.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 10:04:00 pm by MuskogeeHogFan »

PharmacistHog

• Global Moderator
  • Gameday Goon
« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2018, 10:22:33 pm »

Our No. 1 goal should be to lift the Arkansas football program out of the disaster it became in 2017.

Bret Bielema's legacy:

* "Power football" team with no power.
* "Recruit and develop" program that did too little of both.
* Chronically short on offensive linemen, especially tackles.
* Employed plumped-up tweeners on defense, to disastrous ends.

Our head football coach failed so miserably that he got his AD fired. The Razorbacks lost games they should not have lost (Missouri, aTm) and barely escaped Coastal Carolina. But the no-hope efforts against TCU, South Carolina, Alabama, Auburn and LSU were intolerably frequent.

The Hogs in Bielema's last gasp were outscored an average of 28-21 in quarters 2-4. In November, the Porkers were out-pointed 81-49 after halftime.

Mizzou wrote the thesis on why Bielema's brand of football was failing. Arkansas started well and grabbed a two-TD lead. The Tigers, despite some INTs, wore down the Hogs with quick tempo and high efficiency. In quarters 2 and 4 Missouri scored 41 points to Arkansas's 17. The Hogs dominated their rested quarters, 1 and 3, by a 28-7 score.

Missouri outperformed Arkansas in these important ways:

* First downs, 35-19
* Rushes, 60-31
* Rushing yards, 248-133
* Passes, 42-30
* Passing yards, 448-313
* Passing TDs, 5-2
* Total plays, 102-61
* Total offense, 696-446 (no, this was not an overtime game)
* Time of possession, 33:21-26:39

Missouri, with its star back suspended, used three ballcarriers all day -- RB Ish Witter (39-170), RB Larry Rountree (15-52), and QB Drew Lock (3-44 excluding sacks). That's it.

Arkansas was unable to sustain enough drives because it was terrible on third downs, 5-13. Mizzou was 10-18.

Third and short only happened once, and it was a 1-yard TD by Austin Allen. The Hogs blew a third and 3 near midfield. Failed on a third and 4 near midfield. The rest were third and long to very long.

Everything hinged on whether the offense could do something on first down. Arkansas ran 18 times and passed 10 times on first downs. Of the 18 runs, five went for zero or worse, two for 1 yard, and the other 12 amassed 97 yards. The passing though ... 5-10, only 4 gaining yards.

On the other side, Missouri ran 27 times on first downs. One carry had no gain. Four went for a yard. Ten made 2-3 yards. The other 12 gained between 4-22 yards.

Lock missed six of his first seven passes on first downs. Then he completed his next 10. For 172 yards.

In a game where Arkansas should have been able to run + got a quick lead, the play selection was 29 runs, 32 pass plays.

Our pass-happy opponent ran 57 times (ex-sacks) vs. 45 pass plays (including sacks).

Bielema lost his job because of his defense, but the dysfunction of the offense was part of that. The offense put the D in bad positions too often, and it repeatedly wore out.

That's why Bielema's last Arkansas defense allowed 36 points per game -- "led" by the rushing defense.

The worst-ever run D at Fayetteville was in 2016, the team that gave up 39 ground TDs.

From a yards-allowed perspective, 2017 was awful (though it lowered the TD gusher to 28). Excluding sacks (which are really failed pass plays), Arkansas's run D looked like this:

* 2,565 yards allowed on non-negative rushes
* -84 yards (-7 per game) in lost-yardage tackles
* 450 carries
* 5.5 yards allowed per carry

Chad Morris's main problem is that Bielema failed to recruit all positions with equal effort + tried to cover for it by "transforming" good athletes into positional misfits. Even if Morris gets the whole roster into the right positions and in proper condition, he cannot escape the holes that Bielema left.

The biggest holes = the shortage of high-end talent on the Oline, Dline and linebacker. But Morris can fix a number of things that Bielema mismanaged.

Such as offensive identity. True balance, which doesn't mean doing something you suck at just because it's not what you don't suck at. And defensive strategy and tactics.

Did you notice that -7 on lost-yardage tackles per game? That was a strategic choice to keep our players out of the opposing backfield. It was very wrong.

If Morris deploys an offense that doesn't get chronically stuck in third and long + doesn't waste scoring opportunities; if his defense attacks instead of waiting to get steamrolled; and if he shows he cares about special teams, Arkansas's program will take a step in the right direction this season.

And that means how many wins? At this point, I don't care. Let's close the wounds first.

You, sir, are no deltaboy.

TheRazorback500

• It's better to burn out than fade away.
« Reply #45 on: July 10, 2018, 10:42:32 pm »

I like your thinking. We are equal or better in talent level than six of the teams we play, and have an experience advantage (especially on defense) over most of them. Auburn and Alabama should be Ls. The other four games give us an opportunity to overachieve. Win one, it's 7 wins and a better bowl. Win a couple more, we're really feeling good. I like our chances if we remain healthy and find the right QB.

Hawgphat

« Reply #46 on: July 11, 2018, 12:39:29 am »

"Better" is a very generalized, subjective term, often open to individual interpretation and judgment. 

Come September, I look for The Hogs to be in better physical shape, more personally dedicated, more proficient and more focused upon their individual duties and assignments, overall.  I believe that Morris, Chavis & Co. will insure that stricter regimen.

The outcome such a reworked schematic application and personnel regimentation will eventually produce is anyone's guess.  I certainly have no realistic clue.

DuvallFallsHog1975

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #47 on: July 11, 2018, 02:46:49 am »

PRJ

I think we will be 4-5 after game 9.  I think we miss a bowl game this year.

porkrindjimmy

« Reply #48 on: July 11, 2018, 02:57:21 am »

I think we will be 4-5 after game 9.  I think we miss a bowl game this year.

I think we win 8. In the regular season. I believe Morris knows he has some talent. I believe Chavez knows he has some talent. This team vastly underachieved last year. Horrible system, horrible conditioning and waiting for the gong to ring at midnight.

This team, mentally, will be in a much different place this year. We return some firepower on both sides of the ball. We have coaches who are actually engaged with the game of football, we have players who have seen a different way and believe in it.

We win 8.

PRJ

Dan42AR

« Reply #49 on: July 11, 2018, 02:58:23 am »

PRJ

I would not be surprised if you are right on both of your predictions. I feel that the A&M game is our pivot game if we win it I think we will have a pretty good season.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 8   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas