• 10,015,705 Posts
• 401,465 Topics
• 22,976 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pensacola Beach, FL  (Read 1648 times)

HogPharmer

Pensacola Beach, FL
« on: July 07, 2018, 12:15:38 pm »

Headed to Pensacola Beach next month with my wife and daughter (she's 4, almost 5). I've driven through there but never stayed there before. Is there anything that is a "must-do" while we're there? Restaurants, attractions, excursions, etc.? This will be my little girl's first trip to the beach so I'm really excited just to take her. We've rented a condo that's right on the beach.

razorshark

Re: Pensacola Beach, FL
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2018, 01:26:31 pm »

Headed to Pensacola Beach next month with my wife and daughter (she's 4, almost 5). I've driven through there but never stayed there before. Is there anything that is a "must-do" while we're there? Restaurants, attractions, excursions, etc.? This will be my little girl's first trip to the beach so I'm really excited just to take her. We've rented a condo that's right on the beach.
go to the air museum at the pensacola naval air station, they also have imax at the museum

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Tripod1

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2018, 04:29:43 pm »

Check out the lighthouse while on the Pensacola Naval Base.  The Blue Angels have a practice day as well you can attend.  Last year it was on a Wednesday morning.  Fort Pickens is a very interesting place for a few hours visit. Blue Wahoos AA baseball team has a nice park and great food if you catch a game there.

For good eats We love Hot Spot for BBQ.  Sounds crazy in Florida but itís great.  Peg Leg Peteís is pretty good for seafood.  When we want seafood though we go to Joe Pattis fresh seafood market.  Itís a must go to place.  We love the Royal Reds and fresh grouper.  Native Cafe is a good local place for breakfast or lunch. Pricey places, McGuireís for steak, The Fish House both very good.  Another Broken Egg, very good brunch. Downtown, Airstream food court has many good selections.
We donít stay in Pensacola Beach as we love Navarre Beach.  We do go to Pensacola to eat though.  National Seashore between Pensacola Beach and Navarre Beach is a great drive. Lots of tourists go to Flounders for seafood but we donít care for it at all.  Red Lobster on steroids is my best description of it.
We are heading to Navarre Beach Aug 16-26 for the wifeís 60th.  Then will go back Oct and Nov as we love that time of year there when rates are cheap and beaches almost to ourself.

oldman1015

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2018, 06:25:24 pm »

They have a great poker room at the dog track.

razorshark

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2018, 10:17:18 pm »

Check out the lighthouse while on the Pensacola Naval Base.  The Blue Angels have a practice day as well you can attend.  Last year it was on a Wednesday morning.  Fort Pickens is a very interesting place for a few hours visit. Blue Wahoos AA baseball team has a nice park and great food if you catch a game there.

For good eats We love Hot Spot for BBQ.  Sounds crazy in Florida but itís great.  Peg Leg Peteís is pretty good for seafood.  When we want seafood though we go to Joe Pattis fresh seafood market.  Itís a must go to place.  We love the Royal Reds and fresh grouper.  Native Cafe is a good local place for breakfast or lunch. Pricey places, McGuireís for steak, The Fish House both very good.  Another Broken Egg, very good brunch. Downtown, Airstream food court has many good selections.
We donít stay in Pensacola Beach as we love Navarre Beach.  We do go to Pensacola to eat though.  National Seashore between Pensacola Beach and Navarre Beach is a great drive. Lots of tourists go to Flounders for seafood but we donít care for it at all.  Red Lobster on steroids is my best description of it.
We are heading to Navarre Beach Aug 16-26 for the wifeís 60th.  Then will go back Oct and Nov as we love that time of year there when rates are cheap and beaches almost to ourself.
This, plus we stay in perdido key less tourist and go in October

kristiandbilly

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2018, 05:00:57 pm »

I have a 4yr old and 6yr old girls and they love to ride the trolley. (Daniel tigers trolley to them) No destination required, just get on and ride around. Check out the Pensacola Ferry. It just started operation last month. We are a fishing family so my girls love to go to the marina when the charter boats come in and look at all the fish that were caught. For food we really like Red Fish Blue Fish. Our all time favorite place to eat is Sidelines, its got lots of TV's with sports on.  They have activities outside for kids and you are sitting right on the bay. During the heat of the day drive the coast to Navarre and let the girl enjoy the splash pad.

Boarcephus

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Houston, hell no we ain't forgettin!!
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2018, 06:17:11 pm »

When we want seafood though we go to Joe Pattis fresh seafood market.  Itís a must go to place.  We love the Royal Reds and fresh grouper.

I've heard about this place for years but have never been.  Bet it's neat as hell but Pensacola is an hour plus from our condo in Sandestin each way.  I'd like to go and just look around but I can get all the fresh oysters, grouper and shrimp from Shrimpers and they're only about 10 minutes east of us. 

PharmacistHog

• Global Moderator
  • Gameday Goon
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2018, 09:59:01 pm »

Air museum is a must!  Watch the weather. If its gonna rain on you one day go that day.

pigasaurus

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2018, 02:41:57 pm »

Peg leg Petes is good. Flounders is my favorite.

PharmacistHog

• Global Moderator
  • Gameday Goon
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2018, 04:11:39 pm »

I have only been to the one in Destin but I always like Mcguires.  Apps and beer.  Hard to beat. 

NoogaHog

• Senior
  • WPS from Southern Appalachia
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2018, 01:30:58 pm »

Air museum is a must!  Watch the weather. If its gonna rain on you one day go that day.

I agree! We were just there last week. Took a day from our PCB vacation to make the 5 hour round trip to take my FIL to the Air Museum. Absolutely worth it. He was an Army Ranger in Vietnam. He doesn't like to talk about it much, but seeing some of the period aircraft, especially the Hueys, got him to open up and tell some stories to my kids about his experiences.

Meanwhile, they were having a ceremony there, so my 19 year old daughter really liked seeing the young Navy guys milling around in their dress whites.

Did anyone mention to you that it is free?

Another tip: if you are coming from the East, don't follow your navi there. It will take you to the East Gate of the NAS, but you can only get to the museum and light house through the West Gate on Blue Angel Parkway.

Wildhog

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2018, 09:06:33 am »

I have only been to the one in Destin but I always like Mcguires.  Apps and beer.  Hard to beat. 

I avoided McGuire's for the longest time, because it just looked like a crappy tourist place. 

I was SHOCKED at how good it is.  Now we go there at least once per trip.  Their pizza joint next door is great, too.  And all reasonably priced.

The one in Pensacola is good, too.

GolfNut57

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2018, 11:27:21 am »

I avoided McGuire's for the longest time, because it just looked like a crappy tourist place. 

I was SHOCKED at how good it is.  Now we go there at least once per trip.  Their pizza joint next door is great, too.  And all reasonably priced.

The one in Pensacola is good, too.

Would that be the one after you get off Cervantes St onto Gregory St and just before you cross the long bridge going out towards Gulf Breeze?

porkinsons disease

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2018, 08:17:11 pm »

Would that be the one after you get off Cervantes St onto Gregory St and just before you cross the long bridge going out towards Gulf Breeze?
That's it

holeinthewall

• Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2018, 01:00:41 pm »

I honestly don't get the attraction of spending a lot of money to go sit in hot sand and look at the gulf.. The waves are usually smaller than on a lake.  So you can't body surf or boogie board.  Just sit looking at it.

You want to have an enjoyable beach visit go to the east coast where there are waves and the water is a little cooler.

Hell I can sit in salt water in my back yard and save the money and the drive.

McKdaddy

« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2018, 01:44:27 pm »

Ok

razorshark

« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2018, 02:50:45 pm »

I honestly don't get the attraction of spending a lot of money to go sit in hot sand and look at the gulf.. The waves are usually smaller than on a lake.  So you can't body surf or boogie board.  Just sit looking at it.

You want to have an enjoyable beach visit go to the east coast where there are waves and the water is a little cooler.

Then do us all a favor and stay out of the thread.  Go start your own.

NoogaHog

• Senior
  • WPS from Southern Appalachia
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2018, 01:17:55 pm »

We go to Panama City Beach as a family every year. I would prefer a little quieter place, but the kids enjoy it. The beach is more of a backdrop than the destination. In a week in PCB, we may spend a couple of hours in the actual water and sand 3 or 4 times during the week, even though our condo is on the water. Usually in the morning or late afternoon. We are definitely not sun worshippers. We enjoy the seafood, the time together, the shopping, and the time away from work and school. There is just a calm and relaxation that hits me instantly when I get there that I can't get in my back yard.

In 6-7 years, when we are empty nesters, I see us spending more time in the Smokeys and less time at the beach, but I wouldn't trade these family times for anything.

HogPharmer

« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2018, 04:37:38 pm »

I don't like the beach personally. I love to look at it. But I don't like the sand or salt being all up in my drawers and in every orifice of my body. But we are taking my little girl. She's 4 (will be 5 in October) and this is her first "real" vacation. I have not had a good custody schedule with my ex-wife to be able to really take her on a vacation in the past (that is all about to change soon, hopefully). My wife and I just got married back in April and took a nearly 2 week vacation for our honeymoon. So I don't have much vacation time left and it puts my co-workers in a bind to leave for a full week or more at a time. So we are doing a shorter trip to a location closer to home. It's all for my little girl, and I couldn't be more excited to get to take her...

HawgWild

• Left lane, Hey!? Whereís my hammer?
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2018, 05:09:27 pm »

Canít beat a moon and sun rise and set over the Gulf or ocean. We rented a waterfront home the last 5 years and Iíve never been swimming.

HogPharmer

« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2018, 09:58:12 pm »

Thanks for all these tips. We got in yesterday morning about 8 a.m. Went to Native Cafe for breakfast (itís right across the street from our condo). We were supposed to do a dolphin cruise this morning but got rained out. We drove to the Naval Avation Museum and stopped by Joe Pattis along the way. That place was really cool. Weíre going to try to go grab some seafood on our way back home. We got some beignets right outside that were top notch as well. We found a hole in the wall BBQ joint between there and the naval museum called Brotherís BBQ. Probably the best brisket Iíve ever had. My bday is tomorrow so weíre maybe going to go to McGuireís for lunch and Peg Leg Peteís for dinner. We havenít had any seafood yet but definitely wonít leave without trying some!

razorshark

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2018, 09:10:10 am »

Keep us informed, sounds like your enjoying yourself

razorshark

« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2018, 09:12:09 am »

if you have time drive along the coast

panhandlepig

• don't worry about a thing
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2018, 03:57:02 pm »

if you have time drive along the coast
  Yes. Don't just drive. Head east from Pensacola Beach  to Navarre along the Gulf National Seashore. Park somewhere in between and walk the beach. It might make you reconsider the inconvience of sand in your shorts.
  Your daughter will love it. There isn't much of unspoiled undeveloped natural beauty like this left.

razorshark

« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2018, 08:46:37 am »

Yes. Don't just drive. Head east from Pensacola Beach  to Navarre along the Gulf National Seashore. Park somewhere in between and walk the beach. It might make you reconsider the inconvience of sand in your shorts.
  Your daughter will love it. There isn't much of unspoiled undeveloped natural beauty like this left.
Panhandle is coo
Panhandle is correct he knows what he"s talking about

PharmacistHog

• Global Moderator
  • Gameday Goon
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2018, 05:58:04 pm »

Panhandle is cooPanhandle is correct he knows what he"s talking about

She.

ImHogginIt

« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2018, 06:50:28 pm »

Canít beat a moon and sun rise and set over the Gulf or ocean. We rented a waterfront home the last 5 years and Iíve never been swimming.

Amen. I love the gulf but prefer the West coast for most of our rentals. However my favorite was this one in Maine back in October 2013. Literally feet from the crashing waves. Here is a couple pics from the porch including a view of my laptop that was showing Bert lose to South Carolina 52-7  :'(

razorshark

« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2018, 07:07:37 am »

Boarcephus

« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2018, 07:15:37 am »

Amen. I love the gulf but prefer the West coast for most of our rentals. However my favorite was this one in Maine back in October 2013. Literally feet from the crashing waves. Here is a couple pics from the porch including a view of my laptop that was showing Bert lose to South Carolina 52-7  :'(

I'm not sure anyone is better than you at finding these places!  We're booking the one you sent me the link to in Oregon in May and can't wait to go.  After seeing this, Maine may be our next one.  :)

PharmacistHog

• Global Moderator
  • Gameday Goon
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2018, 09:58:43 am »

Thanks for the correction

No problem.  I wasn't being smart or anything, just thought you might want to know for future reference. 

razorshark

« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2018, 03:42:56 pm »

No problem.  I wasn't being smart or anything, just thought you might want to know for future reference. 
No really did not think that.

ImHogginIt

« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2018, 04:43:45 pm »

I'm not sure anyone is better than you at finding these places!  We're booking the one you sent me the link to in Oregon in May and can't wait to go.  After seeing this, Maine may be our next one.  :)

The place in Oregon was an awesome bargain for the price. I wish I could find a reasonable priced place in Southern California. I may splurge and get a decent place on Malibu Beach next vacation. Only live once right ?

Boarcephus

« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2018, 06:01:57 pm »

The place in Oregon was an awesome bargain for the price. I wish I could find a reasonable priced place in Southern California. I may splurge and get a decent place on Malibu Beach next vacation. Only live once right ?

We're headed up in May.  Plan on flying to Portland, renting a car, spending 2-3 nights at that place, head north one day, south the next  and then mosey on back to Fayetteville by way of Yellowstone. 

When you get a chance, no big hurry, send me the link to the place in Maine if you don't mind.  We want to hit the northeast coast and do the same thing.  Thanks!

ImHogginIt

« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2018, 12:52:31 am »

We're headed up in May.  Plan on flying to Portland, renting a car, spending 2-3 nights at that place, head north one day, south the next  and then mosey on back to Fayetteville by way of Yellowstone. 

When you get a chance, no big hurry, send me the link to the place in Maine if you don't mind.  We want to hit the northeast coast and do the same thing.  Thanks!

Place in Maine is no longer a rental. We tried to rent again 2 years ago and it was sold. Quite a few like it along the Maine coast though.  That one was a few miles North of Cape Neddick Lighthouse in York.

Here is one fairly close to the one we rented and in the same price range.
https://www.vrbo.com/732053

We did everything in Southern Maine/New Hampshire last time and had a blast. Including a small boat tour of Portsmouth Harbor, which includes the naval yard. Ogunquit is a fantastic little town with tons of little shops and restaurants.  Next time We're going to rent closer to Portland,Maine. As long as I'm right next to the ocean like that again I'm not too picky  :D

HogPharmer

« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2018, 01:01:43 pm »

Thanks for all the tips. We had a great trip. Spent most of our time at the pool. My little girl liked the beach but didn't care much for the waves knocking her over. We went to some World Marketplace in Pensacola that was kinda cool. They have some stuff from other parts of the world (beers, wine, chocolate, spices, etc.). I got some pink Himalayan Salt that I'm looking forward to trying out. I cook a lot and have heard good things about it. My wife is from Cleveland, OH and grew up eating some hungarian chocolate that she loved (her Grandpa was from Hungary) and she found that there so of course I spent about $30 on chocolate....

McGregor's for lunch. Pretty good. We got the blue cheese chips. And I had the fish n chips entree. Wife got an Irish Mule and it was pretty dang good.

Peg Leg Pete's was good. We shared the big seafood platter. 1.5 lbs of crab legs, basket of steamed shrimp (tartar sauce was really good), and lobster tail. The lobster was overcooked but I was really just wanting the crab legs, which were excellent. Overall, I'd recommend going there. They had a cool little playground area for the kiddos to play in while we were waiting on our food.

Next day we went on our dolphin cruise. My little one loved that and the boat took us all the way out to Fort Pickens.

For dinner our last night, we went to red fish blue fish. All their food is fresh and brought in daily. We got the crab meat bruschetta which was out of this world. My wife and I shared fish and shrimp tacos and they were great. I'd definitely recommend that place as well.

Overall, we had a great trip and I would definitely take my family back to Pensacola Beach. Not too many people getting wild like PCB and other places and plenty of fun stuff to do and good food to eat.

PharmacistHog

• Global Moderator
  • Gameday Goon
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2018, 02:21:17 pm »

Thanks for all the tips. We had a great trip. Spent most of our time at the pool. My little girl liked the beach but didn't care much for the waves knocking her over. We went to some World Marketplace in Pensacola that was kinda cool. They have some stuff from other parts of the world (beers, wine, chocolate, spices, etc.). I got some pink Himalayan Salt that I'm looking forward to trying out. I cook a lot and have heard good things about it. My wife is from Cleveland, OH and grew up eating some hungarian chocolate that she loved (her Grandpa was from Hungary) and she found that there so of course I spent about $30 on chocolate....

McGregor's McGuire's  for lunch. Pretty good. We got the blue cheese chips. And I had the fish n chips entree. Wife got an Irish Mule and it was pretty dang good.

Peg Leg Pete's was good. We shared the big seafood platter. 1.5 lbs of crab legs, basket of steamed shrimp (tartar sauce was really good), and lobster tail. The lobster was overcooked but I was really just wanting the crab legs, which were excellent. Overall, I'd recommend going there. They had a cool little playground area for the kiddos to play in while we were waiting on our food.

Next day we went on our dolphin cruise. My little one loved that and the boat took us all the way out to Fort Pickens.

For dinner our last night, we went to red fish blue fish. All their food is fresh and brought in daily. We got the crab meat bruschetta which was out of this world. My wife and I shared fish and shrimp tacos and they were great. I'd definitely recommend that place as well.

Overall, we had a great trip and I would definitely take my family back to Pensacola Beach. Not too many people getting wild like PCB and other places and plenty of fun stuff to do and good food to eat.

HogPharmer

« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2018, 05:04:45 pm »

yeah.... that... I told you the Irish Mule was good

The Chief

• I just don't understand...
« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2018, 10:43:18 pm »

I'm at Coronado in San Diego right now. The weather is beautiful, but I prefer the gulf coast. The Pacific is too cold for my taste.

Three and Snout

« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2018, 12:04:11 am »

I'm at Coronado in San Diego right now. The weather is beautiful, but I prefer the gulf coast. The Pacific is too cold for my taste.

You're not supposed to drink ocean water, regardless of the temperature...

ImHogginIt

« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2018, 12:45:07 am »

When I was younger I was the same way. Now I'm heat intolerant. Give me an ocean view and cool breeze along with my rum and coke

McKdaddy

« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2018, 05:56:04 am »

Agreed.  We stayed on Coronado 2x in the past year (once at Loews and once at Hotel Del...recommend both for different reasons) and I won't get in the water, not for long anyway.

Give me an ocean view and cool breeze along with my rum and coke

Yes! We keep going back to SD for the cooler ocean breezes.

majestic

« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2018, 05:01:02 pm »

We went to a beach/town called La Perula last year when we were in PV. The water temperature was 87 degrees. No relief getting in the water there.

The Chief

• I just don't understand...
« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2018, 03:44:21 pm »

We went to a beach/town called La Perula last year when we were in PV. The water temperature was 87 degrees. No relief getting in the water there.

Ick.  Like taking a warm bath.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas