• 395,961 Topics
• 22,375 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Harry King Predictions  (Read 4415 times)

bphi11ips

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I need help with my footwork, too.
Harry King Predictions
« on: July 07, 2018, 08:52:09 am »

Gotta love Harry King. Always willing to go out on a limb:

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2018/jul/06/harry-kings-predictions-2018-season/

Sho Nuff

Re: Harry King Predictions
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2018, 09:23:21 am »

Who wants to tell Harry that CSU is in the Mountain West Conference, not Conference USA?

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

sir-pigs-a-lot

• Administrator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • I like Big Mike and I cannot lie
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2018, 09:30:39 am »

I can't find much to argue with. I see it the same way.

Steef

• Idylically living in the Valley of the Cats
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2018, 09:42:12 am »

I agree with his W-Ls. I think some of his projected scores are optimistic (for us). Bama & Auburn could be blowouts.

opineonswine

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs!
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2018, 09:46:09 am »

Where's his Tulsa prediction?

Al Boarland

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2018, 09:48:43 am »

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2018/jul/06/harry-kings-predictions-2018-season/

He has way too much confidence in the D with the opposing team scores. Only one school scoring 35 points?

As for the record. It's not about going out on limbs. 6-6 seems right.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 12:11:29 pm by Al Boarland »

31to6

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2018, 09:51:33 am »

He has way too much confidence in the D with tbe opposing team scores.
I don't think it is that as much as he doesn't understand how modern football works.

TheRazorback500

• It's better to burn out than fade away.
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2018, 09:56:37 am »

Mirrors my feelings, also. We are equal or better in talent level than the six teams Harry says we beat, and have an experience advantage (especially on defense) over most of them. Auburn and Alabama should be Ls. The other four games give us an opportunity to overachieve. Win one, it's 7 wins and a better bowl. Win a couple more, we're really feeling good. I like our chances if we remain healthy and find a decision maker at QB.

bphi11ips

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2018, 10:07:38 am »

He has way too much confidence in the D with tbe opposing team scores. Only one school scoring 35 points?

As for the record. It's not about going out on limbs. 6-6 seems right.

Thatís why itís the O/U. I didnít say heís wrong. His Jo Dee Messina line perfectly describes the separation on the schedule. Everyone is going to analyze the season the same way. Itís too obvious and simple.

I think weíll win one or two of the close ones Harry is predicting and all of those he counts as wins.

JIHawg

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2018, 10:19:20 am »

Where's his Tulsa prediction?

He has Tulsa as an automatic win.

bphi11ips

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2018, 10:25:37 am »

He has Tulsa as an automatic win.

I think Tulsa is the most likely OOC loss, but thereís a lot of separation between all of the OOC teams and Arkansas. A loss to any of them would be about as shocking as an Arkansas win at Auburn, although anything is possible.

Hollywood_HOGan45

• Hollywood could coach better than nutt.
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2018, 11:09:34 am »

After the abomination of last years awful team, I will take 6-6 and run with it.

Had season tickets but only went to one game (TCU) because I was completely disgusted with the product on the field.

Not expecting much this year but it cannot be any worse.

I agree with King's prediction. Ole Miss and Vandy are in shambles and we have them at home. CSU lost quite a bit. Its on the road but I think we have the talent to overcome. Tulsa only one two games last year and we have them at home.

It could be similar to Petrino's first team but I believe this team is more talented than that 2008 team.

trphog

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2018, 11:23:12 am »

I'm going 7-5. I think we split with Mississippi State and Mizzou.

The Kig

• Hogville Heroes
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2018, 11:36:31 am »

I can't find much to argue with. I see it the same way.

While I agree that we are likely to end up 6-6, I would argue with his final statement that record is ever "acceptable".  Fully aware of the mess that CBB left and the challenges of installing a new offensive and defensive philosophy, but I differentiate expected from acceptable.

Al Boarland

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2018, 12:14:25 pm »

Thatís why itís the O/U. I didnít say heís wrong. His Jo Dee Messina line perfectly describes the separation on the schedule. Everyone is going to analyze the season the same way. Itís too obvious and simple.

I think weíll win one or two of the close ones Harry is predicting and all of those he counts as wins.

I don't like the match up with Ole Miss. We could lose that one.

HogPharmer

« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2018, 12:17:00 pm »

Too many people on here are counting that as an automatic win and I have yet to figure out why. It is certainly winnable, but we don't know what this team is going to look like yet. I would say it's far from a sure thing.

sir-pigs-a-lot

• Administrator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2018, 12:21:31 pm »

While I agree that we are likely to end up 6-6, I would argue with his final statement that record is ever "acceptable".  Fully aware of the mess that CBB left and the challenges of installing a new offensive and defensive philosophy, but I differentiate expected from acceptable.

I think it's acceptable this season....as we progress, that should be the low point of the CCM era.

sir-pigs-a-lot

• Administrator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2018, 12:22:38 pm »

Too many people on here are counting that as an automatic win and I have yet to figure out why. It is certainly winnable, but we don't know what this team is going to look like yet. I would say it's far from a sure thing.

I think it's because even in the darkest era of modern razorback football, we've still owned ole Miss.

ricepig

« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2018, 12:24:09 pm »

It It's hard to be sure what OM looks like this season, too. They lost several key pieces due to transfers, I guess most are basing it on our 4 game win streak against them, in being played in WMS!

HogPharmer

« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2018, 12:24:48 pm »

I think it's because even in the darkest era of modern razorback football, we've still owned ole Miss.

It was certainly the one shining consistency from the Bielema era. But they are still a team with some talent.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2018, 12:45:07 pm »

It was certainly the one shining consistency from the Bielema era. But they are still a team with some talent.

Ole Miss has less talent than they had last year when Arkansas beat them.

As bad as the Hogs were last year, they still beat Ole Miss in Oxford. Let that sink in. With the game being in WMS and Arkansas returning 17 starters along with a MUCH better coaching staff, I don't see the outcome being any different other than the Hogs margin of victory being larger.

bphi11ips

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2018, 01:04:40 pm »

Sure we could. I donít particularly like the matchup, either. But I still think weíll win the game.

There are really no ďunwinnableĒ games on this schedule, although Alabama is pretty close to it. But give Arkansas 6 turnovers and you never know.

A win at Auburn is very unlikely, but weíve had some very unlikely wins there. And we should be going in with more confidence than these players have had since they got pasted there in 2016. That was easily the tipping point for Bielema, and no one understands what happened that day. Arkansas entered the game 17th against 21st ranked Auburn and left a broken team. The players still on the roster know that. I give them enough credit to think theyíll want to redeem themselves. Even if we donít win, the Auburn game could be the next major turning point in the football program - this time in the right direction. A hard fought game with a final score in the range Harry King predicts will give this team the confidence that they belong in the SEC West and can compete with anyone. Donít underestimate these two factors - Chad Morris probably knows how Gus Malzahn thinks as well as anyone in college football, and John Chavis has seen his offense half a dozen times.

A good showing at Auburn could very well translate into a strong performance against A&M. And donít forget these two things - First, A&M will likely be 2-2 when they face Arkansas coming off a loss at Alabama. They get Clemson two weeks before Alabama. During itís 6 game winning streak (3 of the last 4 requiring OT), A&M has generally had a soft runway leading up to Arkansas. The exception was in 2016 when the Aggies won at Auburn the week before they beat Arkansas, but that Auburn team wasnít Alabama that year, or this year. Second, John Chavis probably knows the A&M offensive players better than A&Mís new staff. That will have an impact in the game plan and the film room. It may be a mystery to some why many of us think Arkansas will beat Ole Miss, but itís a mystery to me why so many automatically place A&M in the loss column.

A 6-3 or 7-2 Arkansas team with an open date and a home game against a very young LSU team that is likely to come in to Fayetteville off a loss to Alabama with a losing record may very well be favored against LSU. A win there could make the last two games very interesting against two opponents with overall talent very similar to ours.

Now, does that mean Arkansas wonít go 5-7 like so many here predict?  Nope. On paper, especially based upon recruiting rankings, maybe thatís a sound prediction. But college football isnít played on paper. Itís played by 18-22 year old young men. Intangibles and schedules affect the game more than most admit or realize. For the reasons I stated above, thatís why I predict Arkansas will win 8 games this year. Iíd like to see someone with Harry Kingís experience drill a little deeper the way Orville Henry would have. I think Orville would have seen things much the way I do.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 01:14:56 pm by bphi11ips »

Earth Hog Fan

• Varsity
  • Go full-tilt boogie and let the "Hammer-Down"
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2018, 01:15:10 pm »

Ole Miss has less talent than they had last year when Arkansas beat them.

As bad as the Hogs were last year, they still beat Ole Miss in Oxford. Let that sink in. With the game being in WMS and Arkansas returning 17 starters along with a MUCH better coaching staff, I don't see the outcome being any different other than the Hogs margin of victory being larger.

I think you are right and that is what most on here is missing and are not taking into account, This is a MUCH BETTER COACHING STAFF and that becomes the X factor as well as the difference maker as this season progresses.

GO HOGS!!

Earth Hog Fan

• Varsity
  • Go full-tilt boogie and let the "Hammer-Down"
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2018, 01:16:43 pm »

I think you are right and that is what most on here are missing and are not taking into account, This is a MUCH BETTER COACHING STAFF and that becomes the X factor as well as the difference maker as this season progresses.

GO HOGS!!

But 6-6 in my view is not acceptable, we may have to live with that number, but it is not acceptable.  Now 7-5 in year one of Coach Morris's tensor would be much easier to take and would play much better in our recruiting in that coming year.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 01:36:29 pm by Earth Hog Fan »

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Nadine Coyle shakin it for the Hogs!!!!
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2018, 03:07:41 pm »

Sure we could. I donít particularly like the matchup, either. But I still think weíll win the game.

There are really no ďunwinnableĒ games on this schedule, although Alabama is pretty close to it. But give Arkansas 6 turnovers and you never know.

A win at Auburn is very unlikely, but weíve had some very unlikely wins there. And we should be going in with more confidence than these players have had since they got pasted there in 2016. That was easily the tipping point for Bielema, and no one understands what happened that day. Arkansas entered the game 17th against 21st ranked Auburn and left a broken team. The players still on the roster know that. I give them enough credit to think theyíll want to redeem themselves. Even if we donít win, the Auburn game could be the next major turning point in the football program - this time in the right direction. A hard fought game with a final score in the range Harry King predicts will give this team the confidence that they belong in the SEC West and can compete with anyone. Donít underestimate these two factors - Chad Morris probably knows how Gus Malzahn thinks as well as anyone in college football, and John Chavis has seen his offense half a dozen times.

A good showing at Auburn could very well translate into a strong performance against A&M. And donít forget these two things - First, A&M will likely be 2-2 when they face Arkansas coming off a loss at Alabama. They get Clemson two weeks before Alabama. During itís 6 game winning streak (3 of the last 4 requiring OT), A&M has generally had a soft runway leading up to Arkansas. The exception was in 2016 when the Aggies won at Auburn the week before they beat Arkansas, but that Auburn team wasnít Alabama that year, or this year. Second, John Chavis probably knows the A&M offensive players better than A&Mís new staff. That will have an impact in the game plan and the film room. It may be a mystery to some why many of us think Arkansas will beat Ole Miss, but itís a mystery to me why so many automatically place A&M in the loss column.

A 6-3 or 7-2 Arkansas team with an open date and a home game against a very young LSU team that is likely to come in to Fayetteville off a loss to Alabama with a losing record may very well be favored against LSU. A win there could make the last two games very interesting against two opponents with overall talent very similar to ours.

Now, does that mean Arkansas wonít go 5-7 like so many here predict?  Nope. On paper, especially based upon recruiting rankings, maybe thatís a sound prediction. But college football isnít played on paper. Itís played by 18-22 year old young men. Intangibles and schedules affect the game more than most admit or realize. For the reasons I stated above, thatís why I predict Arkansas will win 8 games this year. Iíd like to see someone with Harry Kingís experience drill a little deeper the way Orville Henry would have. I think Orville would have seen things much the way I do.

I don't disagree with your take. So much of this has to do with how well Arkansas adapts to and executes new schemes on both sides of the ball with the players that we currently have on campus. This peaks my interest.

That said, our SEC West opponents have their own sets of challenges to face. Harry King cites Fisher as saying that Elko is one of the top defensive minds in college football. Let's keep in mind that he was helped greatly by an offense that ranked #27 nationally last season. Elko acquired his numbers against offenses that averaged #81 nationally for the season averaging just 413.8 yds/gm last season. By comparison, Chavis acquired his defensive ranking against a greater level of competition overall, though he didn't set the world on fire last season in terms of total defense. I'm not sure that Elko will prove to be any better at A&M than Chavis was if the offense at A&M fails to succeed against SEC opponents in year one. A loss at A&M is not a given.

Additionally, Auburn will probably be stout on defense, but they lose so much in terms of O-Line and WR's (with two key players having off season ACL's...not sure how they will recover) that though they return a starting QB, it isn't certain how productive their offense may be.

LSU loses most of their RB production and a lot of their O-Line experience though they return a lot of WR production. I think they will try to throw more than usual this year but will the O-Line give them time?

I think that Ole Miss may be underrated while Auburn and LSU may be overrated.

There are two more potential wins on this schedule above a 6-6 finish.

All depends on how our team adapts to the the new schemes and how quickly.

Dark Helmet Hog

• Now let's see how well you handle it...
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2018, 03:22:04 pm »

I'm still going with the over against 6-6. We should win all 4 non conference plus Vanderbilt. I like our chances against both Mississippi schools and Missouri. They are not without their own turmoil. For that matter aTm isn't a foregone conclusion either.

HK just took a safe road here at 6-6. We could be anywhere between 5-7 and 10-2 depending on the amount of Kool-Aid you want to drink. I'm going with 7-5 to 8-4.  We will beat at least one of the Mississippi schools plus Missouri. If we manage to beat aTm, look out.

Dark Helmet Hog

• Now let's see how well you handle it...
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2018, 03:31:34 pm »

I don't disagree with your take. So much of this has to do with how well Arkansas adapts to and executes new schemes on both sides of the ball with the players that we currently have on campus. This peaks my interest.

That said, our SEC West opponents have their own sets of challenges to face. Harry King cites Fisher as saying that Elko is one of the top defensive minds in college football. Let's keep in mind that he was helped greatly by an offense that ranked #27 nationally last season. Elko acquired his numbers against offenses that averaged #81 nationally for the season averaging just 413.8 yds/gm last season. By comparison, Chavis acquired his defensive ranking against a greater level of competition overall, though he didn't set the world on fire last season in terms of total defense. I'm not sure that Elko will prove to be any better at A&M than Chavis was if the offense at A&M fails to succeed against SEC opponents in year one. A loss at A&M is not a given.

Additionally, Auburn will probably be stout on defense, but they lose so much in terms of O-Line and WR's (with two key players having off season ACL's...not sure how they will recover) that though they return a starting QB, it isn't certain how productive their offense may be.

LSU loses most of their RB production and a lot of their O-Line experience though they return a lot of WR production. I think they will try to throw more than usual this year but will the O-Line give them time?

I think that Ole Miss may be underrated while Auburn and LSU may be overrated.

There are two more potential wins on this schedule above a 6-6 finish.

All depends on how our team adapts to the the new schemes and how quickly.

Great breakdown and good points.

How many starters did Ole Miss lose due to the NCAA issues? Plus their stud QB? Plus I'm not convinced their coach is very good. I say this to propose that Ole Miss may be much worse than most think this year. Maybe not, but I think they could be a dumpster fire waiting to happen. 

HogBreath

« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2018, 04:08:04 pm »

And when did freakin' LSU become some unbeatable juggernaut?  They still got big Ed for a coach and we get them a week after they play Bama whle we're coming off an open date.

BigBrandonAllenFan

Ready, lock, fire...
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2018, 04:11:54 pm »

15-0.  Harry is wrong.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2018, 04:43:44 pm »

Great breakdown and good points.

How many starters did Ole Miss lose due to the NCAA issues? Plus their stud QB? Plus I'm not convinced their coach is very good. I say this to propose that Ole Miss may be much worse than most think this year. Maybe not, but I think they could be a dumpster fire waiting to happen. 

Ole Miss returns the second most career returning starting O-Line experience in the SEC West behind Alabama. A fact that seems to often be overlooked when considering Ole Miss.

They did lose 70% of their RB production in terms of rushing and receiving combined.

The QB heir apparent is the big question with the transfer of Shea Patterson to Michigan. Jordan Ta'amu (JC Transfer for 2017) seems to be the likely heir considering that he started the last 3 games in 2017 and led Ole Miss to wins in all three games including an Egg Bowl win vs. Miss State. Ta'amu was 115 of 173 (66.5%) for 1,682 yds in 8 appearances and 5 starts LY. He also ran for 217 yards on 53 carries for 4.1 yds/att and 2 TD's. Better than Shea Patterson.

Ole Miss returns just over 2,596 yards in WR production between pre-season AA A.J. Brown, DeMarkus Lodge and DK Metcalf and assorted others add more.

Phil Steele doesn't project that the Ole Miss defense (#115 LY in total defense) will be any better than last year.

I'd say that Ole Miss, while probably being underrated, will be better than some expect but not an unwinnable game from an Arkansas perspective.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 05:32:58 pm by MuskogeeHogFan »

Hollywood_HOGan45

« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2018, 05:05:10 pm »

And when did freakin' LSU become some unbeatable juggernaut?  They still got big Ed for a coach and we get them a week after they play Bama whle we're coming off an open date.

I forgot about that. Im used to penciling LSU as a loss because of the talent difference.

They were just okay last year with pretty good talent.

They could take a big drop. We get them at home after an open date. I like that.

Hollywood_HOGan45

« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2018, 05:07:35 pm »

I'm still going with the over against 6-6. We should win all 4 non conference plus Vanderbilt. I like our chances against both Mississippi schools and Missouri. They are not without their own turmoil. For that matter aTm isn't a foregone conclusion either.

HK just took a safe road here at 6-6. We could be anywhere between 5-7 and 10-2 depending on the amount of Kool-Aid you want to drink. I'm going with 7-5 to 8-4.  We will beat at least one of the Mississippi schools plus Missouri. If we manage to beat aTm, look out.

This is just something we haven't been able to do with Bielema.
If we can just get the season off to a good start by beating aTm, we can build some momentum.
We have always tried to just pick up the pieces to the season after another heart wrenching loss to them.
Gotta turn that around this year.

The Kig

• Hogville Heroes
« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2018, 06:11:07 pm »

It may be a mystery to some why many of us think Arkansas will beat Ole Miss, but itís a mystery to me why so many automatically place A&M in the loss column.

For essentially the same reason... despite Ole Miss attempting to purchase a talented football team, we still beat them regularly.   We expect to beat them.  Despite having several leads against talented A&M teams, we have regularly lost to them the last several years.  Until proven otherwise, there are few reasons to expect that to change.  I do agree with your statement about Chavis knowledge of them though...and hopefully he will be the factor in reversing the A&M losing streak.

Hogindasticks

« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2018, 10:37:02 pm »

All we have to do is spread the defensive accomplishments from the offensive accomplishments.  I think if they both improve we could win 7 or 8 this year.  Progressive improvement is what i am looking for with coach morris offense and chavis defense.  I think we will see it this year.  I kept watching for it from CBB..but never saw it...you always should see some change from year to year for the better...but it never happened with CBB. I think that is where we will see the biggest turnaround barring too many injuries.  From what i saw in the spring game....more spring in steps and a more in-shape team overall...which will reduce the injuries and help us toward the end of the year and help give us a better overall record.  This is why i think we could hit 8 wins....Coach Tru pushing hard.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2018, 07:38:28 am »

I loved that Jimbo Fisher said that he had hired Mike Elko away from Notre Dame as his DC and that Elko was, "one of the best defensive minds in the country".

Maybe, maybe not. There may be something to the level of competition that Elko faced compared to what Chavis faced last year at A&M. Is Elko the answer for A&M? All I know is that Elko's ND defense earned their ranking last year facing an average of the #81 ranked offense whose season YPG average was 413.8. Chavis on the other hand faced offenses that averaged a #79 ranking while averaging 409.1 YPG for the season. Not much difference. ND's defense ranked #46 last season and A&M's was ranked #78, but which one benefited more from having a better offense to hold up their end of the bargain in games? Notre Dame in total offense at #27 and 448.2 YPG compared to A&M at #56 and 406.8 YPG.

I'm not sure that Elko will be able to live up to the billing of "one of the best defensive minds in the country" in the SEC West.

nwahogfan1

« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2018, 08:10:33 am »

I loved that Jimbo Fisher said that he had hired Mike Elko away from Notre Dame as his DC and that Elko was, "one of the best defensive minds in the country".

Maybe, maybe not. There may be something to the level of competition that Elko faced compared to what Chavis faced last year at A&M. Is Elko the answer for A&M? All I know is that Elko's ND defense earned their ranking last year facing an average of the #81 ranked offense whose season YPG average was 413.8. Chavis on the other hand faced offenses that averaged a #79 ranking while averaging 409.1 YPG for the season. Not much difference. ND's defense ranked #46 last season and A&M's was ranked #78, but which one benefited more from having a better offense to hold up their end of the bargain in games? Notre Dame in total offense at #27 and 448.2 YPG compared to A&M at #56 and 406.8 YPG.

I'm not sure that Elko will be able to live up to the billing of "one of the best defensive minds in the country" in the SEC West.

Good stuff Muskogee.     I think the better DC looking down the road will be determined by who can recruit the better players to fit their scheme and like you said who can do the better job on offense of keeping the ball away from the other team. 

I loved what I saw from the defense in the spring but was it because of our lack of player makers on Offense?  We will see.

nwahogfan1

« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2018, 08:15:43 am »

For essentially the same reason... despite Ole Miss attempting to purchase a talented football team, we still beat them regularly.   We expect to beat them.  Despite having several leads against talented A&M teams, we have regularly lost to them the last several years.  Until proven otherwise, there are few reasons to expect that to change.  I do agree with your statement about Chavis knowledge of them though...and hopefully he will be the factor in reversing the A&M losing streak.
I am too lazy to look it up but I do not think we have beat A&M since they joined the SEC.  Seems like they have our number.  I would love to win this game 50% of the time but is not happening right now. We need to change this.  Also We have done very well against Ole Miss lately and this needs to stay but not against Missouri which I do not understand.  We should be even at worse against them.  This needs to be a game we expect to win every year.

HogBreath

« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2018, 09:12:28 am »

I forgot about that. Im used to penciling LSU as a loss because of the talent difference.

They were just okay last year with pretty good talent.

They could take a big drop. We get them at home after an open date. I like that.
That's exactly right Hulkster...the smell of burnt azzed corndogs will be blowing all thru the Ozarks that afternoon, when Coach Morris and the Hogs hammer it down in the left lane past a bewildered Orgeron and his hapless, paper tigers.

Hogindasticks

« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2018, 11:20:04 am »

Good stuff Muskogee.     I think the better DC looking down the road will be determined by who can recruit the better players to fit their scheme and like you said who can do the better job on offense of keeping the ball away from the other team. 

I loved what I saw from the defense in the spring but was it because of our lack of player makers on Offense?  We will

Only a couple of the new recruits were there....and now we also have 2 more 6'4" receivers playing.  This will make a huge difference.

Beaverfever

• Your site for Razorback news.
« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2018, 12:08:28 pm »

Iíd be shocked if the most we lost a game by all season was 15 points. 

bphi11ips

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2018, 12:21:26 pm »

I am too lazy to look it up but I do not think we have beat A&M since they joined the SEC.  Seems like they have our number.  I would love to win this game 50% of the time but is not happening right now. We need to change this.  Also We have done very well against Ole Miss lately and this needs to stay but not against Missouri which I do not understand.  We should be even at worse against them.  This needs to be a game we expect to win every year.

I'm not sure whether A&M has gotten into the players heads, but they have certainly gotten into Hogville's collective psyche.  Here's some perspective:

Frank Broyles' first team in 1958 was 0-6 when they traveled to College Station to face a 3-3 A&M squad.  The Aggies had finished 9th in the final AP poll the year before and 5th the year before that.  The SWC had three teams ranked in the AP Top 20 for most of 1958 - TCU finished that season 10th, SMU finished 18th, and Rice was ranked until the 9th week of the season.  In other words, the SWC wasn't a weak sister in 1958, or during the '50's, for that matter.  Arkansas had been ranked as high as 4 in 1954, when it finished 10th.  Tennessee then lured Arkansas's coach, Bowden Wyatt, to his alma mater.  Jack Mitchell took over for Wyatt and posted a 17-12-1 three year record before leaving for Kansas.

Enter Broyles, an offensive innovator with one year under his belt as head coach at Missouri, where he went 5-5-1 before accepting the job he really wanted at Arkansas.  Here is an excerpt from Broyles' autobiography "Hog Wild":

"Dixie White had been at Arkansas three years with Jack Mitchell.  On the field at College Station before the Texas A&M game, I asked Dixie if he thought Arkansas could ever compete consistently in the Southwest Conference.  'At one time I thought so,' Dixie said. 'I thought we could be average or better most of the time, and sneak through and win it every once in a while.  Now, I don't know.  I don't see any way we can compete with all these Texas athletes they pick from.'"   

Sound familiar?  Arkansas beat A&M that day 21-8 on the way to winning its last four games.  They would win 12 of the next 13 games against the Aggies.  The Razorbacks would win or tie for the SWC title 5 times in the next 7 years.  They would finish the season ranked in the AP Top 10 eight times between 1959 and 1970.   

Arkansas is about to unveil $165 million in improvements to its stadium and player facilities.  DWRRS is a showplace.  The Fred W. Smith Football Center and the Jones Academic Center are state of the art.  Arkansas has great tradition and is within 5 or 6 hours driving distance of 20 million people.  The campus is incredible.  The academics are very good.  We have a coach who reminds some of us of the offensive innovator who took over in 1958.  Arkansas is a program waiting to happen.  Personally I'm looking forward to watching it take off.  We still have to play one of the toughest schedules in the country, but we'll be a great team again at some point and we've been there before. 

Beaverfever

• Your site for Razorback news.
« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2018, 12:28:27 pm »

I feel like Iíve watched the same Arkansas/A&M game for like 5 straight years.  First half I think ďWeíre just a better team this year.  A&M sucks.Ē  Second half I think ďHow do we STILL not know where Christian Kirk is?!?Ē

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #42 on: July 08, 2018, 12:31:44 pm »

I feel like Iíve watched the same Arkansas/A&M game for like 5 straight years.  First half I think ďWeíre just a better team this year.  A&M sucks.Ē  Second half I think ďHow do we STILL not know where Christian Kirk is?!?Ē

Well he is finally...gone.

ArrDee

• Walk-On
  • Scared? You should be
« Reply #43 on: July 08, 2018, 12:40:37 pm »

Well he is finally...gone.
Thank God.

Christian Kirk owned us.

bphi11ips

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #44 on: July 08, 2018, 01:02:46 pm »

Thank God.

Christian Kirk owned us.

He was the difference in two games.

Al Boarland

« Reply #45 on: July 08, 2018, 01:08:27 pm »

I'm not sure whether A&M has gotten into the players heads, but they have certainly gotten into Hogville's collective psyche.  Here's some perspective:

Frank Broyles' first team in 1958 was 0-6 when they traveled to College Station to face a 3-3 A&M squad.  The Aggies had finished 9th in the final AP poll the year before and 5th the year before that.  The SWC had three teams ranked in the AP Top 20 for most of 1958 - TCU finished that season 10th, SMU finished 18th, and Rice was ranked until the 9th week of the season.  In other words, the SWC wasn't a weak sister in 1958, or during the '50's, for that matter.  Arkansas had been ranked as high as 4 in 1954, when it finished 10th.  Tennessee then lured Arkansas's coach, Bowden Wyatt, to his alma mater.  Jack Mitchell took over for Wyatt and posted a 17-12-1 three year record before leaving for Kansas.

Enter Broyles, an offensive innovator with one year under his belt as head coach at Missouri, where he went 5-5-1 before accepting the job he really wanted at Arkansas.  Here is an excerpt from Broyles' autobiography "Hog Wild":

"Dixie White had been at Arkansas three years with Jack Mitchell.  On the field at College Station before the Texas A&M game, I asked Dixie if he thought Arkansas could ever compete consistently in the Southwest Conference.  'At one time I thought so,' Dixie said. 'I thought we could be average or better most of the time, and sneak through and win it every once in a while.  Now, I don't know.  I don't see any way we can compete with all these Texas athletes they pick from.'"   

Sound familiar?  Arkansas beat A&M that day 21-8 on the way to winning its last four games.  They would win 12 of the next 13 games against the Aggies.  The Razorbacks would win or tie for the SWC title 5 times in the next 7 years.  They would finish the season ranked in the AP Top 10 eight times between 1959 and 1970.   

Arkansas is about to unveil $165 million in improvements to its stadium and player facilities.  DWRRS is a showplace.  The Fred W. Smith Football Center and the Jones Academic Center are state of the art.  Arkansas has great tradition and is within 5 or 6 hours driving distance of 20 million people.  The campus is incredible.  The academics are very good.  We have a coach who reminds some of us of the offensive innovator who took over in 1958.  Arkansas is a program waiting to happen.  Personally I'm looking forward to watching it take off.  We still have to play one of the toughest schedules in the country, but we'll be a great team again at some point and we've been there before.

So, basically we have caught up with other programs in terms of facilities. I'm not sure it's a advantage and our tradition pales in comparison to the programs we will have to compete against to get the recruits for the program to "take off". Those are the realities of the situation and challenges that must be over come. At the end of the day we are asking kids to drive past programs with similar facilities and greater tradition.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 03:07:03 pm by Al Boarland »

bphi11ips

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #46 on: July 08, 2018, 01:27:03 pm »

So, basically we have caught up with other programs in terms of facilities. I'm not sure it's a advantage and our tradition pales in comparison to the programs we will have to compete against to get the recruits for the program to "take of". Those are the realities of the situation and challenges that must be over come. At the end of the day we are asking kids to drive past programs with similar facilities and greater tradition.

Youíre wrong.

daprospecta

« Reply #47 on: July 08, 2018, 03:00:11 pm »

But 6-6 in my view is not acceptable, we may have to live with that number, but it is not acceptable.  Now 7-5 in year one of Coach Morris's tensor would be much easier to take and would play much better in our recruiting in that coming year.
6-6 is the baseline for me.  If he hits 6+ wins, we may have a winner but if we wins 5 or less, I think he may be keeping the seat warm for another coach. We have enough talent to win 6 games with our current team. No excuses.

Steef

• Idylically living in the Valley of the Cats
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #48 on: July 08, 2018, 03:06:55 pm »

6-6 is the baseline for me.  If he hits 6+ wins, we may have a winner but if we wins 5 or less, I think he may be keeping the seat warm for another coach. We have enough talent to win 6 games with our current team. No excuses.

The team that won FOUR games last year and lost its AA center to the draft, has "enough talent to win 6...no excuses".....?

Al Boarland

« Reply #49 on: July 08, 2018, 03:15:10 pm »

Negative Nancy Alert.

You act like we have never competed before. We have. We are, in fact, a historically top 25 program so quit selling us short. We have the resources and potential, with the right coaches, to compete at the highest level. We also already have a significant percent of the student body already coming from Texas. The pieces are in place. They need to be put together properly.

https://collegefootballnews.com/2018/01/ap-college-football-rankings-greatest-programs-of-all-time

Using data points from the 50's-90's are irrelavent in my view. The competitive lanscape right now in the division/conference is one that has more talent than ever before.  More money for facilities than ever before.  Schools like those in Mississippi have increased their recruiting profile. The job at the UofA is harder now than any time since joining the SEC. The East appears to be on a resurgence as well.

Is it impossible? No. Is it likely? Probably not.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas