• 9,881,118 Posts
• 398,154 Topics
• 22,802 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Razorbacks getting cut  (Read 7753 times)

Skandar Jackson

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Odell and his new dog Tralfaz
Re: Razorbacks getting cut
« Reply #50 on: July 09, 2018, 09:21:18 pm »

Anyone remember the reports this time last year how hard the players were working to prove all the talking heads wrong? "This is the hardest the players have ever worked in all their lives, and they have a major chip on their shoulders." Talking close 2nd hand family accounts. Can't make some of this up.

Where we strived the most in the Bielema era was the offseason. That was the time for the program to really shine. PR campaign would really lay it on thick and purposfully divert away from actual on the field results. I've said it a million times and I'll say it again, so glad that era is behind us. Just ugly and awful stretch of several  years.

He was just waving, actually dangling, those win the game lobsters around like a carrot for our players. Hate to see a guy like that go as far as crazy stuff to talk about.

I wish we knew more about the dietary habits of the team and CBB.  Maybe Bo should do a rise and fall of CBB show sometime.  I'd watch it.

The NewEra

• New Era
« Reply #51 on: July 10, 2018, 10:05:39 am »

Anyone remember the reports this time last year how hard the players were working to prove all the talking heads wrong? "This is the hardest the players have ever worked in all their lives, and they have a major chip on their shoulders." Talking close 2nd hand family accounts. Can't make some of this up.

Where we strived the most in the Bielema era was the offseason. That was the time for the program to really shine. PR campaign would really lay it on thick and purposfully divert away from actual on the field results. I've said it a million times and I'll say it again, so glad that era is behind us. Just ugly and awful stretch of several  years.

I totally agree.  With the six year stretch of bad football we endured, the last group of kids who saw Arkansas with a respectable football team were 11 or 12 years old.  Let that sink in.  That should highlight the challenges Morris and staff have had to overcome to get good players.  If we are fortunate enough to look pretty good as a football team this year it should go a long way in getting  the attention of even more high caliber athletes.

The conditioning these guys are going through now will play a large role in just how well this team performs this year.  Like it or not, our immediate future relies heavily on the kids on the hill right now.  Zack Zimos, a Linebacker recruit that's being pursued said as much in an article Davenport had in the paper this morning.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Hogindasticks

« Reply #52 on: July 10, 2018, 01:45:28 pm »

To this, I say GOOD!  Working hard and busting your tail isn't supposed to be some fairy tale.  I agree with you, we have to out-work/out-execute teams that are more talented.  It's the only way you get to the point of being able to add more of those elite players.  These guys will enjoy this hard work and preparation, if and when they get the Ws.

Coach Smith posted a picture of them running yesterday morning....i replied to it and said WPS....need to breathe in the 4th quarter and he liked it on twitter ;)

Razor1997

• Senior
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #53 on: July 10, 2018, 03:16:37 pm »

My morale has been so thoroughly crushed from watching the last two years of Razorback football that when I saw the thread title I assumed it was about NFL Hogs losing their jobs.  :(

Iwastherein1969

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Lana Lokteff a non apologetic Nordic lady, RED ICE
« Reply #54 on: July 11, 2018, 11:26:14 pm »

Yes but at this point it is a roster built for Big 10 football. Yes average at best but there is some exceptional Big 10 type talent on the roster. Coach M has to do what Coach B didn't. Adjust his schemes and philosophies to exploit those exceptional talents. Change is good - throwing the baby out with the bathwater no so much.
Bert, is that you ? How's the wife, the baby and those hairy rats you call dogs ? I hope the family is doing well.

DThog90

• Band Nerd
« Reply #55 on: July 12, 2018, 10:04:55 pm »

. Nm u I'll ...mn .mn mnnm ik ...............nn.mj

DThog90

• Band Nerd
« Reply #56 on: July 12, 2018, 10:05:01 pm »

Bv

bondhue

• Senior
« Reply #57 on: July 12, 2018, 10:57:58 pm »

The first thing I saw from Morris was "sit up and put your feet on the floor."  That is exactly how you take control of a room full of 18-22 year olds.  It told me a lot about how he will run the program.  It said we're here to work.  We will be attentive and disciplined.  I think we are going to be okay with this guy.

RyanMallettsEgo

• No, no, no, don't think of it as work.
« Reply #58 on: July 12, 2018, 10:59:17 pm »

That's what I'm sayin'.

AugustaHog

« Reply #59 on: July 12, 2018, 11:16:25 pm »

The first thing I saw from Morris was "sit up and put your feet on the floor."  That is exactly how you take control of a room full of 18-22 year olds.  It told me a lot about how he will run the program.  It said we're here to work.  We will be attentive and disciplined.  I think we are going to be okay with this guy.
I took it to mean that the time for buddy-buddy interactions are over.  Creature comforts are great and cushy treatment is all fine and dandy as long as you are busting your ass and giving your all.  The minute your coach/boss becomes your friend, it’s infinitely more impossible to hold them accountable.  I truly believe this is what happened.  CBP was the other end of the spectrum.  I’m not sure his style can work over long stretches, but is effective in short bursts.  Same thing with CBB.  Just the other way.  There is a happy median, where you are held to high standards and treated with respect when you earn it by giving max effort.  I’m hoping that’s what we have found in Morris.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

• Gold Hogvillian
  • One tusk over the line sweet Jesus...
« Reply #60 on: July 13, 2018, 11:40:44 am »

I'm equal opportunity.
So just as I laugh at the posters who, every year, start gushing about 'so-and-so is dominating the pickup games' and getting all excited....I will also poke fun at this. Every summer we get reports of 'so-and-so is working wonders in the weight room'.

EVERY SINGLE YEAR.

I'm not THAT old, but I'm too old to fall for this stuff.
I don't care about pickup games.
I don't care about a bench press.
I don't care about practice reports.

Mind you...no offense intended. Honestly, sometimes I read a nugget here or there and conclude it actually means something. But most times, it doesn't. Just sayin'.

I draw my only conclusions from watching real games.

Everyone here is just trying to get through the doldrums without hearing that one guy start screaming, "We're about to run out of water.!!".... That guy is you...   ;)

P.S....  Nobody gives a hunk of dookie that you're smart enough to recognize fluff after 12 or 13 years of seeing it.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

• Gold Hogvillian
  • One tusk over the line sweet Jesus...
« Reply #61 on: July 13, 2018, 12:17:26 pm »

My morale has been so thoroughly crushed from watching the last two years of Razorback football that when I saw the thread title I assumed it was about NFL Hogs losing their jobs.  :(

Sad to say it, but I did too... Then when I saw Devwah's name I thought "Oh stuff, What happened now..?".

razorsharptusk

• Fightin' Lumberjacks!
« Reply #62 on: July 13, 2018, 01:22:10 pm »

I believe a football team as a whole takes on the personality of the head coach.  If a coach is emotionally fragile or weak, laid back and undisciplined, then the team over time adopts those characteristics.  We can look at all the previous coaches weaknesses and see those same poor lifestyle characteristics in his team. They became more pronounced over time.  By the time 2017 rolled around only a very few players on the team had the maturity to drive themselves forward despite the poor examples being set at the top.  Frank Ragnow personified a kid who was driven and wasn't going to follow the pack of underachievers.  A few of those like Ragnow remain and will be the heart and soul of this years team.  The coaches have been talking about them.

I already see a major shift in the personality of this team.  I'm looking forward to seeing what that looks like on game day.  I suspect we've seen the last Razorback football team to just roll over and call it quits for some time to come.

I agree.  Whaley said it in a few words but with huge volume. What I've heard many already relate to.  The discipline and mental toughness just wasn't there nor developed. 

“But it didn’t go right from the start and it taught me and my teammates a lot about how we prepare and the mindset that you have to have going into every game, every play, every practice and every time you are in the playbook.” -- Whaley

“I think it is going to be a much better year for us than a lot of people are thinking.”  -- Hayden.   

I think it's obvious these guys are listening to what's being said around them.  To see even his optimism in the face of it already tells me there has been some mental maturing with this team.  As you put it above, so go the Coaches, so goes the team. 

HogPharmer

« Reply #63 on: July 13, 2018, 03:17:45 pm »

Quite possibly the most in-depth and insightful analysis I’ve ever seen in MMQB.

HognitiveDissonance

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
« Reply #64 on: July 13, 2018, 10:18:25 pm »

Everyone here is just trying to get through the doldrums without hearing that one guy start screaming, "We're about to run out of water.!!".... That guy is you...   ;)

P.S....  Nobody gives a hunk of dookie that you're smart enough to recognize fluff after 12 or 13 years of seeing it.
Hey, you called me smart.
I'll take it and leave it at that.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas