• 396,175 Topics
• 22,374 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: available scholarships in 2020, 2021 and 2022  (Read 637 times)

flippinhogmana

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Nathan J Allison - Brothers to the Bone Books
available scholarships in 2020, 2021 and 2022
« on: July 06, 2018, 11:20:08 am »

Most of this post is a quote from Psych from several months back:

Didn’t really want to start a new thread on this, but just a couple random and possibly/probably meaningless observations:

Pauline Love is now following Amber Ramirez (5’8” TCU transfer with two years to play, very good point/shooting G who is currently playing with the USA 3x3 team in Australia), and Alexis Tolefree (2x NJCAA All-American #2 guard from Conway, who had signed with Ole Miss but has asked for her release due to the coaching change). Both are following her, as well.

Like I said - could be/probably is nothing. Tolefree would be eligible to play next year (2018, fall), and ESPN rates her the #4 JUCO coming out this year. Ramirez, rated the #12 player in the 2016 class by ESPN, would likely have to sit out after transferring (unless the NCAA changes its policy). Kind of hard to see why either prospect would be super excited about coming into our situation, as we have Monk (Sr), Gaulden (RS Soph), Dungee (RS Soph), Mason (Jr), Northcross-Baker (RS Sr), and Spangler (Soph) on the roster already for next year, and Daniels coming in in 2019. I think that both Ramirez and Tolefree are probably upgrades over some of those players, but it seems like a bit of a crowded position on the roster. Though ... players who want to go to good programs have to expect some competition, I suppose.

Ramirez has maybe under-performed her recruit ranking at TCU a little bit, though she shoots very well from deep. Tolefree has had a great JUCO career, averaging over 20 ppg. I think both would fit CMN’s system very well, fwiw.

ETA - I suspect that if Tolefree gets an offer to MSU, she’d likely take it.

Psych I thought I'd start the thread with this post of your's just showing how much can change (and that fairly quickly) - but you are more in tune with the available schollies in our years.  could you take the time to break it down for us through 2022?

psycHOGlogist

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Skepticism is a virtue.
Re: available scholarships in 2020, 2021 and 2022
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2018, 01:40:35 pm »

I can try:

2018/19 (this year):
GR (last year of eligibility): Keiryn Swenson
Srs: Malica Monk, Bailey Zimmerman, Raven Northcross-Baker
Jrs: Jailyn Mason, Sydney Stout, Kiara Williams, Alexis Tolefree
RS Soph: Chelsea Dungee, A'Tyanna Gaulden
True Soph: Grayce Spangler, Taylah Thomas, Macy Weaver
FR: Rokia Doumbia, Erynn Barnum
RS - TR: Amber Ramirez (would be a Jr if eligible)

That's 16 athletes, and at least one will either not be on the roster or not on scholarship come fall, because: math.

2019/20:
Srs: Mason, Stout, Williams, Tolefree
RS Jrs: Dungee, Gaulden, Ramirez
Jrs: Spangler, Thomas, Weaver
Soph: Doumbia, Barnum
Fr: Ginger Reece (OK), Destinee Oberg (MN), MaKayla Daniels (MD), Marquesha Davis (AR)

(That is also 16 scholarship athletes, so it's likely that whatever math works out for 2018/19 will be operative for this season, as well. Plus, of course, you can't predict attrition from the roster with much certainty. Will someone transfer? Finish early and leave? Only time will tell.).

2020/21

RS Srs: Dungee, Gaulden, Ramirez
Srs: Spangler, Thomas, Weaver
JR: Doumbia, Barnum
Soph: Reece, Oberg, Daniels, Davis
FR: ?? If the roster stays exactly as is, we would have room to sign four student-athletes for this class. This is the class that contains instate stars Goforth, Eaton, and Salary (all of whom have offers), Caitlin Clark of Iowa, Sarah Ashlee Barker from Alabama, Taylen Collins & Rylee Langerman from OK, and others. AFAIK, we have no 2020 commits at this time (which is not all that surprising). ETA - as brshogfan pointed out in another thread, we have also offered 2020 Coriah Beck along with the other 3 instate kids. How could I forget Beck?!?! It's really a strong 2020 class instate.

2021/22
This year we will be clearing a lot of roster space, if all goes exactly to forecast. We'll lose all of our transfers (Dungee, Gaulden, and Ramirez), as well as last year's trio of Freshman (Spangler, Thomas, Weaver).

SRs: Doumbia, Barnum
JRs: Reece, Oberg, Daniels, Davis
So: The four (?) recruits from 2020
Fr: This would leave us with room for 5 student-athletes in 2021. The scholarship distribution at this point might be a little less than ideal, so you wonder whether CMN might be looking for a transfer at some point to join this senior class? Or maybe he doesn't worry about those things so much. The class of 2021 is also loaded with a lot of folks with whom Coach Neighbors and staff have really been making an effort to develop relationships. Many of them are really blue chip athletes like Payton Verhulst from Kansas; Chantae Embry, Aaliyah Moore, Karley Johnson (correction, Johnson is a 2022), Trinity Gooden, and Raychael Harjo from OK; Jersey Wolfenbarger, Wynter Rogers, and Maryam Dauda from instate; and Saylor Poffenbarger from Maryland. And those are just the ones I am really confident that we are recruiting for 2021.

The 2020 and 2021 classes could really make some noise for this program, imo. Of course, so much can and will happen between now and when those kids commit, but it's fun to scope out what could be on the horizon.

Is that about what you were looking for, flippin?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 09:36:49 pm by psycHOGlogist »

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

flippinhogmana

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2018, 01:52:13 pm »

I concur:  I saw sometime back that we would have six seniors (or essentially that) by the time our freshmen this past year graduate.  thats not your ideal situation.  But hopefully we will have a kick-ass team that year, with five juniors and seniors as contributors that are ready to step up in an even bigger way the following year.

And thanks!  a wee bit exciting isn't it?
« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 02:04:50 pm by flippinhogmana »

psycHOGlogist

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2018, 02:08:20 pm »

It is exciting. But like I said, who knows what can happen? I remember being somewhat excited (though to a much lesser degree, and probably for a shorter time period) early in the last coaching regime, as well.

This feels different, though, with the transfers, the new recruits, and -- most significantly -- the positive energy on the staff and the happy players on the court.

flippinhogmana

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2018, 02:12:16 pm »

actually there was the making there the first year for a lot more than what it developed to be.  But MN is a much more experienced coach and a whole lot more grounded.  He has an excellent staff too.

flippinhogmana

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2018, 02:15:13 pm »

actually there was the making there the first year for a lot more than what it developed to be.  But MN is a much more experienced coach and a whole lot more grounded.  He has an excellent staff too.

That first year JD never even installed an offense.  He apparently thought he was going to win it all on just defense and guard play over playing the passing lanes.  That wont work once you get to the SEC and neither will just offense with no interior post play, while we are on the subject.  Plus the fact that he alienated a good coaching staff and about half the players.

But if MN will develop TT and MW, along with Oberg when she gets here, with Williams I predict a lot better outcome. 

psycHOGlogist

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2018, 02:41:38 pm »

That first year JD never even installed an offense.  He apparently thought he was going to win it all on just defense and guard play over playing the passing lanes. 

Good times ... good times. ;-)

flippinhogmana

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2018, 03:35:26 pm »

we had this group of girls as hold overs from Tom's tenure and went to the NCAA the first year.
Callie Berna   
Jhasmin Bowen
Jessica Jackson   
Kelsey Brooks   
Khadijah West   
Melissa Wolff, and some more I cant remember
We also had some defections
We added Malica Monk, Jordan Danberry, Keryn Swenson, Devin Cosper, Bailey Zimmermann, a couple of jucos the next year and a couple more
we also had some defections from that group too.  It wasnt that we didnt have talent.

LadybackBBFan

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2018, 04:02:04 pm »

Berna, Bowen, Jackson, Brooks and Wolf all averaged over 30 minutes a game - Berna, Jackson and Brooks all 34 or more.  We had no bench whatsoever.

flippinhogmana

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2018, 04:58:18 pm »

Berna, Bowen, Jackson, Brooks and Wolf all averaged over 30 minutes a game - Berna, Jackson and Brooks all 34 or more.  We had no bench whatsoever.

yeah and West was still hurting from a knee, Wolfe wasnt completely healthy I dont think and Jhasmin was undersized.  But JJ played hard (probably her best year) Berna and all of them had enough big moments for them to make it to the tournament.  they had a lot of heart.

psycHOGlogist

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2018, 12:17:28 am »

we had this group of girls as hold overs from Tom's tenure and went to the NCAA the first year.
Callie Berna   
Jhasmin Bowen
Jessica Jackson   
Kelsey Brooks   
Khadijah West   
Melissa Wolff, and some more I cant remember
We also had some defections
We added Malica Monk, Jordan Danberry, Keryn Swenson, Devin Cosper, Bailey Zimmermann, a couple of jucos the next year and a couple more
we also had some defections from that group too.  It wasnt that we didnt have talent.

The "year of 8" we also had Katie Powell, McKinley Bostad, and Joey Bailey on the roster. None returned the following year. Bailey was basically shown the door, despite having another year of eligibility, and Bostad and Powell transferred. McKenzie Adams, who started every game for the Hogs her freshman year, left the team in October and transferred to SMU. Bria Pitts also left before the season started.

The second year of CJD's tenure he recruited Alecia Cooley, Devin Cosper, Tat Smith, another JUCO who didn't qualify and went out west, Malica Monk, Bailey Zimmerman, Keiryn Swenson, Jordan Danberry, and Briunna Freeman. Getting in-state blue-chippers Monk and Danberry was seen as a big get by CJD. Of this class, though, Smith, Danberry, and Freeman left before their eligibility was up, and you could argue that some of the others were missed evaluations and not SEC caliber.

Dykes's next recruiting class included Aaliyah Wilson, Kiara Williams, Jailyn Mason, Sydney Stout (walked on coming off a HS knee injury but was awarded a schollie), and Yasmeen Ratliff. Wilson was the centerpiece but left after one injury and drama-filled year. Ratliff never saw the floor. Mason and Williams have become very solid contributors. (Danberry and Freeman both left the program before the season was over, as did Tat Smith.)

Dykes' final commits/signees were Grayce Spangler and Macy Weaver, both of whom received small minutes last year, with Weaver seeing more action than Spangler. CMN recruited Thomas out of HS and Dungee and Gaulden as transfers after he arrived, turning a very unremarkable (in terms of accolades) two-person class into a rather formidable 5-person class. And he added Amber Ramirez to this class this year, as well, making it a pretty star-studded class (Dungee, Gaulden and Ramirez were all very highly rated and recruited out of high school).

The next couple of years ought, I hope, to be really fun to watch.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 12:27:53 am by psycHOGlogist »

flippinhogmana

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2018, 01:48:15 am »

yep, that pretty much the way it happened...except for coaches... and no real point to go into that...we lived it with them didn't we?

seeing how hard it is to keep sliding the available players roster several years into the future - and knowing what your upcoming needs are, gives me a new appreciation for college coaches - So thanks again Psych for your very good work!.  Sure you do it some in high school and other teams, but its more so in college. 

I really wish that JD had learned to lean on Christy Smith more and trust her, use her as a resource to the team.  I dont think there was ever a coach who meant well more.  He had plenty of breaks...but in the end, just didnt know how to develop a team or know enough about being a head coach the right way.  But a coach on the other end of that spectrum is MN.  I think he means just as well, just knows a whole lot about how to get it done (and as amber ramirez says, knows how to get it done).  I think he also know how to trust in and believe in people to  share authority with them.  We arent to the promised land yet, and we wont get there this year either....but I hear and smell it just over the horizon.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 02:30:17 am by flippinhogmana »

LadybackBBFan

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2018, 08:43:17 am »

I think he also know how to trust in and believe in people to  share authority with them

He puts a lot of trust in coach Schaffer.  He has about as much say and trust as any assistant in the country.  Watch the bench during games or come to practices and you will see it.

flippinhogmana

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2018, 05:51:13 am »

I think he also know how to trust in and believe in people to  share authority with them

He puts a lot of trust in coach Schaffer.  He has about as much say and trust as any assistant in the country.  Watch the bench during games or come to practices and you will see it.

It is true that MN has a lot of the skills necessary to build our program the right way and be successful (as well as helping build those around him, which in my view should be synonymous).  But I also think he has assembled a group of girls to take him in that direction.

It looks like we are pretty well set for the next couple of years, locked in.  But there are some things yet to be determined.  It is sometimes said you can see the size of the dog in the fight, but not always the size of the fight in the dog.  Some of the girls (like Williams and Monk) have a lot of fight in them.  I believe Dungee and Ramirez do to.  If we see that same fight develop in Mason, in Thomas and in Weaver along with some others, and in Oberg when she comes, then we will be off and running - barring injuries (which they never let us totally bar, and in women pregnancies) then I think in a couple of years we will be in the top quarter of the conference and pushing for at least a sweet sixteen.   

flippinhogmana

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2018, 03:22:18 pm »

by the way, the issue with the scholarship limit of fifteen has been resolved.  It will be announced in the coming days.  In the meantime, speculating (or me mentioning a young ladies name) is not something I am going to do
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas