• 396,355 Topics
• 22,570 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Up to this point in time, what are your feelings towards Nolan Richardson?  (Read 5426 times)

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs and Go Mike Anderson!

Speaking of Nolan, 2019 will mark the 25th anniversary of the 1994 championship team.
Surely something will be planned. Probably is already in the works.
25 is a big number, for whatever reason(marriages, sports, etc) to commemorate milestones, and something needs to be done.

I was at the 15th anniversary event in 2009. Played Georgia that day.
As I recall, nearly all of the team members showed up.
Regardless of one's feelings about Nolan, the University of Arkansas would benefit from a bronze statue and his story prominently displayed inside or outside of Bud Walton Arena.  A commemoration of African-American success on the Hill.
February, 2019 would be oh so fitting...

hawkhawg

Name the court after him.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Rocket23

McDonald played the system. He did it with distance runners he would bring over from Europe. They were pros already when he got them so other than gathering them together he didnít even develop them.

No one nationally cares about what he did here either. Thatís what makes winning a natty fun, when a lot of other people want what it also.

You have no clue!  I ran for him and worked with Nolan.  Both are great people and were great coaches.  Your opening statement shows your ignorance.  None were pros, and to say that he didnít develop them tells us you know nothing.  Yeah Saban just talks those kids into skipping the pros for a few years too. Right!  And spell his name right.  MCDONNELL.

FineAsSwine

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Hogville think tank

You have no clue!  I ran for him and worked with Nolan.  Both are great people and were great coaches.  Your opening statement shows your ignorance.  None were pros, and to say that he didnít develop them tells us you know nothing.  Yeah Saban just talks those kids into skipping the pros for a few years too. Right!  And spell his name right.  MCDONNELL.

John McDonnell is the most accomplished track and field coach in NCAA history and I don't think anyone is disputing that.

Razorod

Name the court after him.
I'd go for this, especially during the 25th anniversary season.

HognitiveDissonance

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net

I donít see any movies, documentaries, books, or ESPN specials EVER on John McDonnell. I bet Bill Clinton never went to one track meet. Youíre just being foolish and naive at this point. Face it, basketball is 40 times the exposure of track, which is why itís harder and that ONE championship trumps all the track and field combined.

Which is why Nolan Richardson deserves a statue, the court named after him, and the distinct title of GOAT at Arkansas. Go to the track and field forum... oh wait a minute...
You're right. Football and basketball are tremendously more exposed than track.
You're wrong. You're just showing extreme bias and ignorance in claiming 1 championship in basketball somehow trumps 40 in track. Yes...40!! I don't know what to say at this point. Track is not wrestling. It's not skiing. It's not as major as football or basketball, but it's a significant sport. That's why I made the point I did: every school in America has a track team, even at the juco level. There is tremendous competition.

I at one time was just like you. I never followed track, other than just reading the papers. So when John wins 3...5...7...10 championships, I'm still not paying much attention. So we're more alike than different. But when a guy gets up to 15..20...25...30...35...40 national championships, even a knucklehead like me will sit up and take notice and respect and admire true EXCELLENCE in what a guy is doing. It's like being hit over the head with a sledgehammer and someone telling me "Look, moron, pay attention to true dominance and someone perfecting their craft".

So if I can see the light, maybe someday you knuckleheads can see the light too.

HognitiveDissonance

Since you know John, I want to share this tidbit with you. This is the epitomy of 'no respect'.
In 2004, Sports Illustrated made a commemorative edition celebrating 50 years.
There was a series of articles like 'greatest moments', 'greatest athletes from each state', 'best games', etc etc.
One of the feature articles was by Richard Hoffer, and it was 'favorite coaches'. I think there were about 20 coaches featured. The usual suspects like John Wooden, Bear Bryant, were mentioned.
But get this...also mentioned on his list were Iowa wrestling coach Dan Gable and UNC women's soccer coach Anson Dorrance. Gable had a long run of titles(13 or 15, maybe) and Dorrance had 4 or 5 in his career. Great careers, don't get me wrong.
So obviously in compliing his list, he is not restricting it to 'major sports', which is admirable. He's following my thoughts which is excellence can be found in 'lesser' sports too. Those guys were great coaches.
But HOW IN THE WORLD can you list an Iowa wrestling coach and UNC women's soccer coach and NOT mention a guy with 40 NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS in a more significant sport???????!!!
As I said, it epitomizes several things, I think.   1)John's style was low-key and he was media friendly but never in the limelight, or enjoyed it  2)it also could be a subtle dig at Arkansas.
This guy, Hoffer, could have been completely clueless about Arkansas track...but I doubt it. I think he just didn't care to mention an Arkansas track coach in his article. His out was the article being titled 'favorite coaches'.
So he has an out. If listing 'favorites', you don't have to go by the facts.

HognitiveDissonance

February, 2019 would be oh so fitting...
As much as 1994, I almost as quickly turn my thoughts to the 2000 SEC Tournament.
That was an incredible weekend. Four wins in four days, which has only been done 2-3 times.
But more than that, really, was the way those games were won. Arkansas just completely discombobulated everyone.
I'm going off memory here, but I think it was 93 turnovers forced in four games.
And running Kentucky out of the SEC Tourney on Friday, which is extremely rare. UK owns that event.
So if storing games in the archives, sure, 1994 NCAA games should be in there, but you won't find a more enjoyable collection of games for your personal vault than the four 2000 SEC games.
Of course, the Hogs shot their complete wad in that tournament, and got thumped in the first round of the NCAA. But a lasting moment was created.

razorback1829

You're right. Football and basketball are tremendously more exposed than track.
You're wrong. You're just showing extreme bias and ignorance in claiming 1 championship in basketball somehow trumps 40 in track. Yes...40!! I don't know what to say at this point. Track is not wrestling. It's not skiing. It's not as major as football or basketball, but it's a significant sport. That's why I made the point I did: every school in America has a track team, even at the juco level. There is tremendous competition.

I at one time was just like you. I never followed track, other than just reading the papers. So when John wins 3...5...7...10 championships, I'm still not paying much attention. So we're more alike than different. But when a guy gets up to 15..20...25...30...35...40 national championships, even a knucklehead like me will sit up and take notice and respect and admire true EXCELLENCE in what a guy is doing. It's like being hit over the head with a sledgehammer and someone telling me "Look, moron, pay attention to true dominance and someone perfecting their craft".

So if I can see the light, maybe someday you knuckleheads can see the light too.

Great coach who has won an incredible amount of ďnational championshipsĒ.. tell me, what strategy was used? How is a track national champion determined? Thereís a reason why no coach has won 40 national championships in football, basketball, hell baseball... itís because track is an individualized sport. Individuals can win national championships. No strategy used. No figuring out opponents. Sorry just not in the same difficulty range of basketball, which is the reason why itís so special to win the whole thing when youíre not a traditional power. Arkansasí one basketball championship was kore magical than the whole 40 combined. Youíre showing bias, and I donít know why. You act as if itís inconceivable in a thread about NOLAN RICHARDSON that we would see him as the best coach of all time at Arkansas. Nobody talks about when we were a track power. They do basketball. Hey donít thirst for track and field. They do for basketball. Different sports, different pressure. Nolan is the GOAT of UofA

MakingPlays

• Varsity

Great coach who has won an incredible amount of ďnational championshipsĒ.. tell me, what strategy was used? How is a track national champion determined? Thereís a reason why no coach has won 40 national championships in football, basketball, hell baseball... itís because track is an individualized sport. Individuals can win national championships. No strategy used. No figuring out opponents. Sorry just not in the same difficulty range of basketball, which is the reason why itís so special to win the whole thing when youíre not a traditional power. Arkansasí one basketball championship was kore magical than the whole 40 combined. Youíre showing bias, and I donít know why. You act as if itís inconceivable in a thread about NOLAN RICHARDSON that we would see him as the best coach of all time at Arkansas. Nobody talks about when we were a track power. They do basketball. Hey donít thirst for track and field. They do for basketball. Different sports, different pressure. Nolan is the GOAT of UofA

I'm still waiting on him to show me proof of Bill Clinton caring about the track team.

razorback1829

I'm still waiting on him to show me proof of Bill Clinton caring about the track team.

Iím not because there is none. Itís like he had to come on this thread to defend John McDonnellís honor or something, but is getting beat down by facts. The only thing he can say is ďwell 40 is better than 1Ē.. not always true, especially in this state. And nothing, NOTHING, has ever brought the state together more (sports wise) than the 94 Championship.

From the T-shirtís being wrong and then putting MICHIGAN into the Final Four before the game was played, to the people who called our style street ball than ended up mimicking it. The 1994 Basketball National title is a bigger deal and impact than all 40 track championships combined.

HognitiveDissonance

I don't know how else to explain to you how much different the pressure and expectations are in a major sport like basketball and football, you've literally ignored every logical post  people have tried to share with you and just come back with made up alternative facts that you have no way of proving and keep just saying 1<40 in every post with absolutely no context. 

I would love a message board with a fact checker. That would be so awesome, this new alternative fact era is so weird to me, people just say whatever they want these days because they know they don't have to prove anything they say, they can just say that's what I believe and people leave it at that.  Like right now, if a board had a fact checker, you would be required to provide evidence that Bill Clinton actually cared about the track team and John McDonnell's accomplishments as a track coach.  Because if you google it (which I have) absolutely nothing comes up with John McDonnell, Razorback Track Team, and Bill Clinton together not a single picture, sentence, or even a mention of them ever talking to each other.  However, if I google Bill Clinton, Razorback Basketball, and Nolan Richardson tons of stuff pop up, several pictures, articles on their relationships, and interviews with Nolan talking about Clinton.
As the 10th consecutive NCAA championship in indoor track and field, the win broke the all-time record for consecutive NCAA titles in any sport in the history of Divison 1 athletics. No less of a luminary than United States president Bill Clinton noticed and personally invited the Razorbacks to the White House for a special ceremony to celebrate the occasion.
"I know this coach and his values and the way things are done", President Clinton told the media of John McDonnell. "He is a friend who this year became the most successful coach in the history of intercollegiate athletics. You don't have that kind of success that many times over that many years without caring for the well-being of your athletes."

After the team presented the president of the United States with a Razorback warm-up suit, McDonnell took the microphone.
"I've always admired this man", McDonnell told the media. "I think he and our track team have a lot in common. When I came to the University of Arkansas we had scored one point at the conference meet the year before. I think he is like a walk-on on our track team who became an Olympic champion, which is what Mike Conley did. He was a walk-on in politics, starting from the ground up, paid his own way and he made it to the top, the number one man in America."

The president began making fun of the negative advertisements run against him in a bitter presidential election. "Just think about, John", the president deadpanned. "If you would have come here last year they might have called you a failed coach from a small, southern state."

Before the Razorbacks left the White House, Clinton and several Arkansas senators and congressmen on hand for the ceremony joined the team in "Calling the Hogs".

Now what were you saying about 'alternative facts'?

HognitiveDissonance

You were saying?

HognitiveDissonance

Iím not because there is none. Itís like he had to come on this thread to defend John McDonnellís honor or something, but is getting beat down by facts. The only thing he can say is ďwell 40 is better than 1Ē.. not always true, especially in this state. And nothing, NOTHING, has ever brought the state together more (sports wise) than the 94 Championship.

From the T-shirtís being wrong and then putting MICHIGAN into the Final Four before the game was played, to the people who called our style street ball than ended up mimicking it. The 1994 Basketball National title is a bigger deal and impact than all 40 track championships combined.
What was that again?

HognitiveDissonance

You people not only diss McDonnell, but as I said earlier, you can't even prove Nolan was a more accomplished coach than Frank Broyles. Looking at the FACTS, those two would be in a dead heat, to me, for 2nd GOAT, purely looking at coaching accomplishments only. You're totally ignoring his accomplishments too. (national championship---didn't that bring the state together too? People still talk about 1964 and Jerry Jones and Jimmy Johnson. Also, third winningest program of the 1960s, behind only Texas and Alabama. You totally gloss over that too. Broyles was a tremendous coach, too. )

But no, in your world, it's all Nolan, all the time. Don't care about anyone else.

I notice and admire everyone's accomplishments. You only care about one person, period.

razorback1829

You people not only diss McDonnell, but as I said earlier, you can't even prove Nolan was a more accomplished coach than Frank Broyles. Looking at the FACTS, those two would be in a dead heat, to me, for 2nd GOAT, purely looking at coaching accomplishments only. You're totally ignoring his accomplishments too. (national championship---didn't that bring the state together too? People still talk about 1964 and Jerry Jones and Jimmy Johnson. Also, third winningest program of the 1960s, behind only Texas and Alabama. You totally gloss over that too. Broyles was a tremendous coach, too. )

But no, in your world, it's all Nolan, all the time. Don't care about anyone else.

I notice and admire everyone's accomplishments. You only care about one person, period.

Weíre not dissing him. Just stating in our opinion who we think is the GOAT. Youíre the one who took some offense to it for some reason.

FineAsSwine

• Hogville think tank

Track is a "team sport" only in the sense that all the athletes compete on the same track or in the same arena. Basically you have a lot of individuals trying to achieve the best time over a certain distance or jump farther or higher or throw a heavy weight or javelin farther than someone else.

Basketball, football and baseball coaches make adjustments based on the flow of the game and they do these things in real time. Deciding when to bunt, when to blitz the quarterback or switching from zone to man are all part of the ebb and flow of a contest that requires "coaching".

Track is pretty much individual instruction and training prior to a meet. The track coach doesn't draw up a play or make adjustments in a meet based on what the other team is doing. I've never seen a track coach call a time out in the middle of a meet so he could draw up a play or make the kind of adjustments that most people consider "coaching".

All things considered, it is much, much harder to win a title as a coach of a baseball, football or basketball team because you are having to get people to blend their individual talents and become 1 unit. It's not like you can send your best post player to go out and play one on one against the other teams big guy and collect a national championship based on that individual battle in that one event like you can in track.

Funny how no one has ever said McDonnell was the greatest coach in NCAA history until you dropped that bombshell in this thread.

HognitiveDissonance

Weíre not dissing him. Just stating in our opinion who we think is the GOAT. Youíre the one who took some offense to it for some reason.
I'm not taking offense. You're taking offense that someone was giving their opinion, also, that someone else is the GOAT.
I gave my opinion, I didn't veer the thread into 'who is the GOAT?' Someone else did.
So why are you taking offense?
Because it has to be all-Nolan, all the time.

HognitiveDissonance

Track is a "team sport" only in the sense that all the athletes compete on the same track or in the same arena. Basically you have a lot of individuals trying to achieve the best time over a certain distance or jump farther or higher or throw a heavy weight or javelin farther than someone else.

Basketball, football and baseball coaches make adjustments based on the flow of the game and they do these things in real time. Deciding when to bunt, when to blitz the quarterback or switching from zone to man are all part of the ebb and flow of a contest that requires "coaching".

Track is pretty much individual instruction and training prior to a meet. The track coach doesn't draw up a play or make adjustments in a meet based on what the other team is doing. I've never seen a track coach call a time out in the middle of a meet so he could draw up a play or make the kind of adjustments that most people consider "coaching".

All things considered, it is much, much harder to win a title as a coach of a baseball, football or basketball team because you are having to get people to blend their individual talents and become 1 unit. It's not like you can send your best post player to go out and play one on one against the other teams big guy and collect a national championship based on that individual battle in that one event like you can in track.

Funny how no one has ever said McDonnell was the greatest coach in NCAA history until you dropped that bombshell in this thread.
Bill Clinton said he was the most successful coach in NCAA history. Did you read?

Me personally, I won't say he is that, but I said he definitely belongs in that discussion. And he's definitely the best in Arkansas history.

FineAsSwine

• Hogville think tank

Bill Clinton said he was the most successful coach in NCAA history. Did you read?

Me personally, I won't say he is that, but I said he definitely belongs in that discussion. And he's definitely the best in Arkansas history.

Most successful in picking up hardware? Yes. Best coach? No. No comparison to the analysis of the opponent, strategies implemented, style of play chosen, adapting to in game ebbs and flows, facing and having to defend and score against offensive and defensive strategies that change from game to game...Ö and so on.

Track doesn't compare. McDonnell is the greatest TRACK coach in NCAA history and he isn't even the 3rd best coach in Arkansas history based on the degree of difficulty in coaching baseball, basketball and football.

Not even close.

FineAsSwine

• Hogville think tank

Did I even mention the tremendous pressure to go into hostile football and basketball venues on the road with thousands of fans screaming at you and booing every thing you do?

Not so much in track.

razorback1829

Most successful in picking up hardware? Yes. Best coach? No. No comparison to the analysis of the opponent, strategies implemented, style of play chosen, adapting to in game ebbs and flows, facing and having to defend and score against offensive and defensive strategies that change from game to game...Ö and so on.

Track doesn't compare. McDonnell is the greatest TRACK coach in NCAA history and he isn't even the 3rd best coach in Arkansas history based on the degree of difficulty in coaching baseball, basketball and football.

Not even close.

Not close at all. Different levels to this.

factchecker

• RAZORBACKS OR NOTHING!

http://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2014/nov/14/mcdonnell-statue-unveiled/?print

Hundreds of university officials and former athletes were on-hand for the dedication Friday. Current Arkansas men's track coach Chris Bucknam recalled realizing the scope of McDonnell's success during a dinner shortly after taking over for him in 2008

"I'd been in town maybe two months and we're sitting and watching all these speakers get up and talk (about McDonnell)," Bucknam said. "I'm sitting there and watching it and I'm sinking in my chair. The killer was when President (Bill) Clinton comes on the video board. President Clinton comes on and starts talking to John and my wife kicked me under the table and said, 'Buck, I think we can get that job back at Northern Iowa.'"

McDonnell thanked former Arkansas athletics director Frank Broyles for hiring him in 1972. McDonnell was a coach and shop teacher at Greenland High School at the time.

"I know he had many choices but he saw something in me and I guess he was probably right," McDonnell said. "ÖHe was the only boss I ever had. I began and finished my career at Arkansas."

The McDonnell statue was sculpted by Garfield resident Raymond Gibby, who also sculpted the Brandon Burlsworth Trophy. The John McDonnell Statue Fund, a nonprofit organization directed by former Arkansas runner Seth Summerside, raised $50,000 for the project in 2011.

http://tx.milesplit.com/discussion/topics/15877

\"I have followed John McDonnell\'s career for many years,\" Bill Clinton is quoted as saying in McDonnell\'s bio. \"I have marveled at his outstanding accomplishments with the Razorback cross country and track and field programs. His countless national and conference championships are proof of his ability to train and inspire young people to not only compete, but to win at the highest level.\"

factchecker

• RAZORBACKS OR NOTHING!

Did I even mention the tremendous pressure to go into hostile football and basketball venues on the road with thousands of fans screaming at you and booing every thing you do?

Not so much in track.

True. However, you can recover from your mistakes in football and basketball.  You slip, you have a less than best day on the track and you are getting smoked by the Olympic level competition.  If Barford is having an off night - then other teammates can pick it up.  You pretty much have to be perfect to win consistently in track.  You don't have to worry about the crowd because your worst enemy is the elements and yourself.

In short ya'll are comparing apples and oranges.  The Razorbacks are blessed to have both McDonnell and Richardson in their history.

razorback1829

True. However, you can recover from your mistakes in football and basketball.  You slip, you have a less than best day on the track and you are getting smoked by the Olympic level competition.  If Barford is having an off night - then other teammates can pick it up.  You pretty much have to be perfect to win consistently in track.  You don't have to worry about the crowd because your worst enemy is the elements and yourself.

In short ya'll are comparing apples and oranges.  The Razorbacks are blessed to have both McDonnell and Richardson in their history.

Youíre right factchecker. Letís get this train back on the tracks. Name the court after that man!!

FineAsSwine

• Hogville think tank

Youíre right factchecker. Letís get this train back on the tracks. Name the court after that man!!

Yes, this honor is Long overdue and Yurachek can make his mark by correcting this omission that should have been approved Long before. Shouldn't be Long now before the UA makes this move and names the court after Nolan Richardson. It's been Long enough.

factchecker

• RAZORBACKS OR NOTHING!

Yes, this honor is Long overdue and Yurachek can make his mark by correcting this omission that should have been approved Long before. Shouldn't be Long now before the UA makes this move and names the court after Nolan Richardson. It's been Long enough.
Damn straight.

daBoar

I've followed Nolan's career closely for many years, starting in Tulsa in the 80/81 seasons.  Tulsa was fun to watch at the time, and it was easy getting good seats.  I found it hard to believe when he arrived at Arkansas, sort of a dream come true.  I've always been proud of our school's hiring of Nolan, and wow..........he steered us to a NC title.  Great coach, great years on the Hill.  And, a very good man. 

HognitiveDissonance

Not close at all. Different levels to this.
I'm disappointed, razorback1829.
Above you trash me saying there is no proof, but when I offer it, there is no admission that maybe, on second thought, you have no idea what you're talking about after all.
No retraction?

razorback1829

I'm disappointed, razorback1829.
Above you trash me saying there is no proof, but when I offer it, there is no admission that maybe, on second thought, you have no idea what you're talking about after all.
No retraction?

Nah. I donít care about it that much lol. You were right for the record on Clinton. We donít agree on the best of UofA so it is what it is.

HognitiveDissonance

Not even close.
And you still haven't commented on why you think Nolan was a better coach than even Frank Broyles. Since you claim that only 'major' sports really count. I can hear it now...'well, that was a long time ago...'

The sad part is, even if McDonnell had won 140 NCAA championships(as if 40 wasn't astronomical enough), you would be saying the same thing. Or 240. Or 340.
'240 NCAA titles? Doesn't matter. It can't even compare to 1 basketball title....'

HognitiveDissonance

--->The Razorbacks are blessed to have both McDonnell and Richardson in their history. --->

This is something everyone can agree on.

razorback1829

And you still haven't commented on why you think Nolan was a better coach than even Frank Broyles. Since you claim that only 'major' sports really count. I can hear it now...'well, that was a long time ago...'

The sad part is, even if McDonnell had won 140 NCAA championships(as if 40 wasn't astronomical enough), you would be saying the same thing. Or 240. Or 340.
'240 NCAA titles? Doesn't matter. It can't even compare to 1 basketball title....'

He said he thinks Nolan is the GOAT. What else you need? Itís so funny to see how you canít see that track just is a different animal than basketball. Itís much tougher in basketball. Thatís just the facts.

HognitiveDissonance

He said he thinks Nolan is the GOAT. What else you need? Itís so funny to see how you canít see that track just is a different animal than basketball. Itís much tougher in basketball. Thatís just the facts.
And I've got a bazillion $$$ than none of you would be saying that if Nolan Richardson coached track and John McDonnell coached basketball.
Your position would be completely reversed.
That's the sad part.

wonder

• Band Nerd

Bottom line. Naming the court after Coach Richardson....how would it hurt the University of Arkansas? I only see it as a benefit.

MakingPlays

• Varsity

You were saying?

Well for once, you got me on that one, Bill Clinton was actually aware we had a track team, congratulations, only took you 3 days to find that article.  Also, I noticed you failed to attach any pictures with the article.  Where's the pictures of him at all the track meets?  Obviously, there would be tons of those like there is for the basketball team since he was such a big fan of the track team and how he obviously wouldn't miss a chance to see the best coach in NCAA history coach in person.

razorback1829

And I've got a bazillion $$$ than none of you would be saying that if Nolan Richardson coached track and John McDonnell coached basketball.
That's the sad part.

No as a matter of fact I wouldnít.

MakingPlays

• Varsity

That's the sad part.

Barack Obama could be the coach of the track team and people still wouldn't care about track.  It has nothing to do with black or white, it's one sport is significantly more popular and has 1000x more pressure to win thus making the stakes higher and more important.  Anyways this is pointless, it was funny at first to joke about track because nobody cares about it, but now it's just getting sad.

Hey mods, can we take a poll, and get this guy a Track and Field section on the board, that's obviously what this whole thing boils down to, he's a track fan with no one to talk to about track.

HognitiveDissonance

Well for once, you got me on that one, Bill Clinton was actually aware we had a track team, congratulations, only took you 3 days to find that article.  Also, I noticed you failed to attach any pictures with the article.  Where's the pictures of him at all the track meets?  Obviously, there would be tons of those like there is for the basketball team since he was such a big fan of the track team and how he obviously wouldn't miss a chance to see the best coach in NCAA history coach in person.
It took me a few minutes once I actually looked for it.
Now it's 'pictures or it didn't happen'. LOL
That was such a fast transition it made my head spin. From 'it doesn't exist' to 'now I need pictures'.

HognitiveDissonance

Barack Obama could be the coach of the track team and people still wouldn't care about track.  It has nothing to do with black or white, it's one sport is significantly more popular and has 1000x more pressure to win thus making the stakes higher and more important.  Anyways this is pointless, it was funny at first to joke about track because nobody cares about it, but now it's just getting sad.

Hey mods, can we take a poll, and get this guy a Track and Field section on the board, that's obviously what this whole thing boils down to, he's a track fan with no one to talk to about track.
Whatever. I wasn't born yesterday. I've been reading Jump Ball for years...everything is about Nolan...Mike...Mike...Nolan....
Every once in a while a basketball discussion can actually take place.

Hey mods, can we get a forum created called the 'I love Nolan' forum so Jump Ball can actually have some genuine basketball discussion?

FineAsSwine

• Hogville think tank

Whatever. I wasn't born yesterday. I've been reading Jump Ball for years...everything is about Nolan...Mike...Mike...Nolan....
Every once in a while a basketball discussion can actually take place.

Hey mods, can we get a forum created called the 'I love Nolan' forum so Jump Ball can actually have some genuine basketball discussion?

I don't know what board you've been reading but Jump Ball has never been a love fest for neither Mike nor Nolan. Guess you don't remember reading this board during basketball season. Some folks still even dang near blame Nolan sometimes when we lose a game. But the thought for today is....... Nolan Richardson Court!

HognitiveDissonance

--->From the T-shirtís being wrong and then putting MICHIGAN into the Final Four before the game was played, to the people who called our style street ball than ended up mimicking it. --->

You forgot the Sunday before the national championship game on ESPN's Sports Reporters show, Mitch Albom of the Detroit Free-Press said "the smartest team will win".

That could be construed two ways.
One, a racial slur implying a black coach couldn't outcoach or outsmart Duke's coach and players.
Two, that no team from Arkansas could ever be smarter than a team from Duke.

Either way, it was dumb. Personally, I think even if Albom felt that way racially, he wouldn't be dumb enough to say it on national TV. So he was probably referring to #2 and it was more of an Arkansas insult than a racial insult.

But regardless, he was right in a way: the smartest team did win. Duke committed 23 turnovers (not very smart with the ball) and lost the game. The smartest team won that night.

razorback1829

I don't know what board you've been reading but Jump Ball has never been a love fest for neither Mike nor Nolan. Guess you don't remember reading this board during basketball season. Some folks still even dang near blame Nolan sometimes when we lose a game. But the thought for today is....... Nolan Richardson Court!

Exactly. Heís lost it. This forum is a bloodbath most of time, regardless of coach. Track just isnít basketball. Heís having a hard time accepting that.

HognitiveDissonance

Exactly. Heís lost it. This forum is a bloodbath most of time, regardless of coach. Track just isnít basketball. Heís having a hard time accepting that.
No, I get it exactly.
Some of you (some) and you know who you are, only care about what black coaches do.
You're either totally ignorant or ambivalent if a white coach does it.
You would be making the exact opposite argument if Nolan were the track coach. Gazillion dollars.

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs and Go Mike Anderson!

If Arkansas had a black track coach, the campus police would probably arrest him for trespassing...   ;)

HognitiveDissonance

If Arkansas had a black track coach, the campus police would probably arrest him for trespassing...   ;)
Texas has a black track coach now. Edrick Floreal, former great triple jumper for McDonnell and Arkansas in the late 80s, left Kentucky to take the Texas job.
Some grumblers about Chris Bucknam wonder if maybe Arkansas should have hired Floreal.

We'll see how he does. Texas is a big stage. Oddly, though, they've never been much of a track school even though you would think they would have tons of athletes there. But you could say that about any Texas sport: why don't they win everything?

factchecker

• RAZORBACKS OR NOTHING!

--->From the T-shirtís being wrong and then putting MICHIGAN into the Final Four before the game was played, to the people who called our style street ball than ended up mimicking it. --->
I had our national championship commemorative Sports Illustrated copy.  If I remember correctly somewhere in the copy there was a picture of 2 players that was supposed to be us...... it was Alabama.  It was in this magazine.

But the disrespect doesn't stop at basketball.

The PA announcer called us Arizona during lineups of the CWS this season.

They put the SMU logo next to Coach Morris at media days.

Our local newspaper calls us University of Arkansas - Fayetteville.

I'm sure racism played a part in Nolan's treatment BUT he also coached at Arkansas - and Arkansas has gotten that crap for years.

MakingPlays

• Varsity

If you don't want to talk about Nolan Richardson, you might not wanna click the thread with the name in his title.  You're in a Razorback Basketball Forum mad because people are talking about the greatest Razorback Basketball coach of all time.  Do you know how dumb that sounds?  That's like somebody going to a Chicago Bulls message board and getting mad at people for talking about Michael Jordan.  And then you have the nerve to not only complain about it, but derail the thread talking about the track team.  I promise you if you start a thread about the greatest track coaches of all time in the "General Sports Forum" where it belongs you won't see a single one of us over there.... Because 1.  Nobody cares about track and 2.  Nobody cares enough about track to open a thread with track in the title.

razorback1829

No, I get it exactly.
Some of you (some) and you know who you are, only care about what black coaches do.
You're either totally ignorant or ambivalent if a white coach does it.
You would be making the exact opposite argument if Nolan were the track coach. Gazillion dollars.

It would seem that you are the only ones bringing up the black coaches. But everything I said was facts from the disrespect that Arkansas has been shown throughout the years. A lot of it happened when Nolan was at the helm. But to sit here and try to put track and basketball in the same conversation is laughable. And completely ignorant. Go find the track forum.. oh wait.. there isnít one.

FineAsSwine

• Hogville think tank

It would seem that you are the only ones bringing up the black coaches. But everything I said was facts from the disrespect that Arkansas has been shown throughout the years. A lot of it happened when Nolan was at the helm. But to sit here and try to put track and basketball in the same conversation is laughable. And completely ignorant. Go find the track forum.. oh wait.. there isnít one.

He has brought up race two or three times in this thread. Not sure why when he brings up race, he's not called out for playing the race card. That was a thing for a while on here that was used to shout down posters who supported a successful Razorback coach who also happened to be black.

If John Pelphrey came in and did what Nolan did and Nolan then followed John Pelphrey and did what Pelphrey did, my feelings toward each would be reversed and I would now be saying: It's way past time for John Pelphrey Court!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas