• 395,957 Topics
• 22,375 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Up to this point in time, what are your feelings towards Nolan Richardson?  (Read 4492 times)

Sweet Feet

• Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net

How do you feel about Nolan in this point in time?

HF#1

Jedi don't have feelings

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

BannerMountainMan

Greatest coach in Arkansas basketball history, just got frustrated at the end of his tenure and got fired and STILL goes to all the ballgames and lives here! Great man

FineAsSwine

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Hogville think tank

Greatest coach in Arkansas basketball history, just got frustrated at the end of his tenure and got fired and STILL goes to all the ballgames and lives here! Great man

Co sign.

factchecker

• RAZORBACKS OR NOTHING!

reverence

rev∑er∑ence
ˈrev(ə)rəns/Submit
noun
deep respect for someone or something.

The fact that Nolan stuck around and supported the program made me respect him even more.

Build the statue and/or name the court.

hawgball40

Greatest coach in school history and a good human being, with flaws. He wouldn't play the shady recruiting game, didn't have support from our ad in upgrading our facilities and promoting our basketball program, and couldn't adjust to the rule changes. it was also rumored that people in the athletic department, including frank broyles referred to him as a you know what behind his back, and someone in nolan's camp had caught wind of it. Despite not supporting the program properly, Frank continued putting increasing pressure on Nolan to win more games or he was fired. these factors caused him to crack under the pressure and lash out. He deserved to be fired true, but only by the statement made in his presser. It all boils down to Frank's indifference towards Nolan and the program. I can't say whether it was rooted in racism or that frank just didn't care about basketball enough to give it the support that he gave football. But it absolutely did contribute to nolan's demise, along with the rule changes.

Citing all this information, i still think Nolan Richardson is a fine man, who was set in his ways, but also a victim of a negligent boss who didn't put him in good position to succeed(for whatever reason), and ultimately his outburst harmed the reputation of Arkansas athletics, maybe permanently.

redneckfriend

• Senior

He was a revolutionary coach and there are very few who fit that category. Revolutionary because he changed how the game was played and made the other teams play by his rules. He should also be revered at Arkansas because of his accomplishments- as we saw recently with the baseball team, being the best in the nation is no little thing and very hard to do at Arkansas.

He made mistakes however. Frustrated with expectations that he created and with the kind of casual racism so typical of the country club set Broyles hung out with, he struck back in ways that were detrimental to the school and the basketball program especially. If he had kept his cool both before and after he was fired he would be viewed as a saint. As it turned out he had feet of clay. I would still advocate putting his name in every place possible in the basketball program- he deserves it for what he did and the program would benefit by accentuating the relationship.

liljo

• Senior

I love the man.

Don't think I could've walked the miles he walked. Much respect.

The End was very painful for many of us. But we got passed it (at least I know I did). The joy his teams brought us fans far outweighed everything else, as far as I'm concerned.

I'll always think fondly of the Rollin' With Nolan days. Man, those were some good times, y'all.

mykidsdad

I have known Nolan for almost 30 years. Great basketball coach, better person. Truly loves people. I could tell you many stories of things that he has done to help others, never seeking anything, not even letting me tell others.

He was screwed over by the UofA, no doubt. I don't know if it was racism but I know it was wrong how he was treated.

He still lives in Fayetteville and loves his farm.

One last thing, because of the way he and Miss Rosie have treated others, what I have seen them do, it changed me many years ago. I can honestly say that decisions I made which changed the direction of my life and lead me to where I am today were because of them. I don't think that they know this, and I have often thought of talking to him and letting him how exactly what influence he made in my life and therefore in others lives (which I influenced).

Cant say enough about him.

bvillepig

Nolan is a Hall of fame coach who I admired greatly.  I hope to live long enough to see the court named after him. 

JIHawg

I love, respect, and admire the man as much as any in the sports world during my lifetime.

HiggiePiggy

• Hope...

My first meeting was pushing carts when I was 17 and I help load his vehicle with groceries. Was a very kind man and a great coach.

Even at games later in life long after him not being the head coach I would see him after a game and he was always there to take time with fans. 

HawgsPolo

• Varsity

The same way I felt in 1994.

RacinRazorback

• Varsity

Great coach and great man! His tenure was some of the best times as a Razorback fan. I still watch old BBall videos of Day, Mayberry, Miller and Corliss and Scotty! Those were the best times as a Razorback fan. I just wish he hadn't, as he walked out the door, destroyed the very thing that he built! We still suffer from it today, its just like a bad hangover. I am forever grateful for the joy and pride he brought to Arkansas fans! WPS!!!!

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs and Go Mike Anderson!

Nolan Richardson Court

Hogcore

Build the man a statue and rename the court in his name.

HF#1

Pretty much where I am at. Any success Arkansas will have moving forward you will have to attribute to him. Why he doesn't have a statue and why it isn't Nolan Richardson Court is beyond me.

hawgball40

it will never happen until enough people lobby the AD and school president to make it happen. saying it on a message board does nothing, and is as good as "well wishes". if you truly want this, then you need to email the AD. I already have. the more people that bug him about it the sooner it will happen.

HF#1

it will never happen until enough people lobby the AD and school president to make it happen. saying it on a message board does nothing, and is as good as "well wishes". if you truly want this, then you need to email the AD. I already have. the more people that bug him about it the sooner it will happen.

Mike Anderson could make it happen and probably in short order. Especially with a new AD in place.

pigture perfect

Multifaceted. Someone that you want on your side in a fight. Someone who changed the game. Someone who had his demons. Someone who deserved to be fired. Someone worthy of forgiveness.

blu

I was upset with him at the end of his coaching career here. I have long been over that and appreciate all the great experiences we all had watching Hogball. He deserves our court to be named in his honor for sure.

Letsroll1200

Simply the greatest coach in Arkansas Razorback sports history! It's tough to win a National Championship

Dwight_K_Shrute

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Follow @fakewallyhall.
    • Missing your favorite thread?  It's probably in Vents and Rumors

Loved him when he was our coach.  Never stopped.  Love him more today.  Was at the final game he coached was in Starkville at MSU 2002.  Did something I never done before, went court side, watched him do post game with Mike Newell.  There may have been a lump in my throat.  When he was walking away I told him I hoped he was going to keep being our coach.  He thanked me.  My voice may have cracked a bit.  A few years ago when his book came out I waited in line at Sam's the day they were doing a signing.  Bought 8 copies and sent them to friends and got a pic shaking his hand. 

hoghappy

Simply the greatest coach in Arkansas Razorback sports history! It's tough to win a National Championship
except for John McDonnel

niels_boar

• Senior

Nothing but respect, admiration, and appreciation.

wonder

• Band Nerd

It's time to for the UA to do what's right and name the court after Coach Richardson. Give the man his props while he is alive. I believe he has done more good for the UA than bad. I just emailed our AD...just like I previously emailed Mr. Long. IT'S ALWAYS APPROPRIATE TO DO WHAT IS RIGHT.

Letsroll1200

except for John McDonnel

I respect McDonnell in track and field. He won 40 national championships I believe. Nolan Richardson is still the GOAT.

razorback1829

• Senior

except for John McDonnel

All respect to Coach McDonnell, but basketball is a different beast. Much harder and much more pressure. Coach Richardson is the GOAT IMO.

HiggiePiggy

• Hope...

I respect McDonnell in track and field. He won 40 national championships I believe. Nolan Richardson is still the GOAT.

I love Nolan Richardson, but letís not turn this into a thread about greates of all time. I can not agree with him being the greatest coach at Arkansas when you have a coach that literally won damn near every year he was here. No coach in Arkansas comes close to what McDonnell did here.

FineAsSwine

• Hogville think tank

I love Nolan Richardson, but letís not turn this into a thread about greates of all time. I can not agree with him being the greatest coach at Arkansas when you have a coach that literally won damn near every year he was here. No coach in Arkansas comes close to what McDonnell did here.

I bet you can name forty or more basketball or football coaches without trying. Most people would struggle to name two or three track coaches. Just not a major sport.

Letsroll1200

The heading in the thread is how do you feel about Nolan. I feel he's the greatest coach in Razorbacks sports history.

TheRazorback500

• All-American Hogvillian
  • It's better to burn out than fade away.

NR is and was a great man, coach, and mentor. I enjoyed watching his teams play and feel the UA is blessed for having him.

opineonswine

• Global Moderator
  • Go Hogs!

Amen! 

opineonswine

• Global Moderator
  • Go Hogs!

Someone should start a petition of support for naming the court.  Do it respectfully but with a plan to execute it (i.e. work at getting names signed up...not half hearted effort).

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
  • You like my stripes, I know you do.

Great coach from his days at TU through the 98ish. Innovator. Found something not many were doing, and taught his teams to do it better than anyone. After 93 he decided to win it all he needed to change a little and put together a team that could play his way or your way, did not really matter.

Like most innovators, everyone else eventually caught up. That, and social frustration eventually led to his being let go and the lawsuit.

ALL OF THAT was darn near 20 year ago. I see him now as the guy who had his greatest career moments here, and now comes back and watches games and does his best to support the program.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!

Nope. That would be John McDonnell and it isnít even close.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian

All respect to Coach McDonnell, but basketball is a different beast. Much harder and much more pressure. Coach Richardson is the GOAT IMO.

Bull. Winning as many as John did trumps ANY amount of pressure and perceived difficulty basketball coaches face.

razorback1829

• Senior

Bull. Winning as many as John did trumps ANY amount of pressure and perceived difficulty basketball coaches face.

Richardson had to beat traditional blue bloods to get there. Basketball is a much different beast my friend. Track is much more of an individual sport, whereas basketball, getting a team to play together is much tougher.

HiggiePiggy

• Hope...

Richardson had to beat traditional blue bloods to get there. Basketball is a much different beast my friend. Track is much more of an individual sport, whereas basketball, getting a team to play together is much tougher.

We arenít talking 1 or 2 NC for track though.  We are talking about 40 with one coach.  Nolan was a great coach here, but as far as all time greatest coach at Arkansas that to me is John McDonnell

razorback1829

• Senior

We arenít talking 1 or 2 NC for track though.  We are talking about 40 with one coach.  Nolan was a great coach here, but as far as all time greatest coach at Arkansas that to me is John McDonnell

I get it... but the mere ridiculousness of the number McD won proves my point. Itís much harder and a bigger achievement in basketball, which is why the 94 championship will be forever hailed. The individualized aspect of track also makes it less significant.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian

You are forgetting they not only give individual trophies for track but they ALSO give TEAM trophies. Therefore 40, let me repeat that, FORTY national championships in ANY sport by one coach where team trophies are given in both sports trumps one trophy anyday, anytime.

FineAsSwine

• Hogville think tank

I get it... but the mere ridiculousness of the number McD won proves my point. Itís much harder and a bigger achievement in basketball, which is why the 94 championship will be forever hailed. The individualized aspect of track also makes it less significant.

nwahogfan1

Good coach and when he got all the right players he was more than good.  Played by his own rules. 

But at the end he was a bitter man allowing circumstances to eat at him to the point that he was very, very angry and tired man at the end blaming fans, administration and sports writers for his loses and recruiting mistakes which kept him from feeding the monster.

wonder

• Band Nerd

I don't remember Coach Richardson ever blaming the fans,  admin., or sport writers for defeats.

HiggiePiggy

• Hope...

So because he was able to build his program and then keep it up until he retired proves your point? There are many coaches in NCAA with multiple championships that have built their programs and continue to keep it up today.

So to compare this. You would have to say Saban isnít the greatest since I mean he has built his program and is able to sustain it and is now winning almost every year and always making the playoffs.  So he should be put down since he is making it look easy. 

PORKULATOR

• knows how to 'dunk the crumpets'

I wrote him a letter after his first year coaching in Arkansas as a 15 year old skinny cracker...short too... I told him, though I'd try, I'd probably never be good enough to play for him but he had the support of me and my friends. The youth of Arkansas.
Ya know what. The tough old bastard wrote me back... HAND WROTE ME BACK.
It made me try harder. He made try harder.
I've asked mom to find it. Its with her letter FROM LOU HOLTZ on University of Minnesota stationary.😪

MakingPlays

• Varsity

You are forgetting they not only give individual trophies for track but they ALSO give TEAM trophies. Therefore 40, let me repeat that, FORTY national championships in ANY sport by one coach where team trophies are given in both sports trumps one trophy anyday, anytime.

Start a poll asking how many people care about track and field compared to basketball.  I bet if you ask most hog fans they would trade 100 track national championships for another basketball championship.  I live about a mile from the university, and in this thread right now is the most I've ever heard people talk about track.  The fact that it doesn't even have it's on forum on the largest razorback fan message board should tell you something.

hawgbawb

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Tusk 'em Hogs.

Great respect and admiration. 

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian

So because he was able to build his program and then keep it up until he retired proves your point? There are many coaches in NCAA with multiple championships that have built their programs and continue to keep it up today.

So to compare this. You would have to say Saban isnít the greatest since I mean he has built his program and is able to sustain it and is now winning almost every year and always making the playoffs.  So he should be put down since he is making it look easy. 

Good post. I think the guy is missing something as far as proof. It proves just how great of a coach John was, not how easy it is to win in the sport.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian

Start a poll asking how many people care about track and field compared to basketball.  I bet if you ask most hog fans they would trade 100 track national championships for another basketball championship.  I live about a mile from the university, and in this thread right now is the most I've ever heard people talk about track.  The fact that it doesn't even have it's on forum on the largest razorback fan message board should tell you something.

Dude you need to wakes up then because you arenít the only one to live or have lived in Fayetteville. Also a sports popularity has NOTHING to do with how great a coach is or isnít. Just because some fans might trade a number of titles from a sport they have little interest in for one they do have interest in doesnít make a difference in coaching greatness. The number of fans of a sport doesnít matter.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas