• 9,968,205 Posts
• 400,243 Topics
• 22,937 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I don't count on anything Razorback.  (Read 2181 times)

BigDrDon

I don't count on anything Razorback.
« on: July 04, 2018, 08:58:31 pm »

I still love my Hogs  but my expectations are not that high this year.
I'm afraid I have been beat down too many times to expect much.

If anything good happens this season , I'll not only be happy , but I'll also be surprised.

Maybe none of our boys will be seriously injured. :(

Hawgphat

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Re: I don't count on anything Razorback.
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2018, 09:03:51 pm »

If anything good happens this season , I'll not only be happy , but I'll also be surprised.

I won't fault your well-irrigated pessimism.  Just please try to hang on to the mood of optimism that is being launched by the new staff. 

Try to regain a modicum of faith, - and hang in there with the rest of us.

God bless.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

InHognito

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2018, 05:27:33 am »

Though I don't condone the message, I cannot disagree.

The Razorbacks have broken my heart more times than any number of women ever could.

But I still come back for more.....??

hogcards

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • The Glimmer Twins
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2018, 08:12:21 am »

We've come to accept the possibility of a 6-6 or 7-5 season as something to rejoice over.

I despise Jeff Long.

HF#1

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2018, 10:07:32 am »

I have taken the same approach. My expectations are zip. Whatever they do is whatever they do.

MultipleScoreGasms

• Varsity
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2018, 10:55:51 am »

We've come to accept the possibility of a 6-6 or 7-5 season as something to rejoice over.

I despise Jeff Long.

Funny thing.  If that is our record this year, I believe CCM will have done a good job.  8-4 would be an awesome job, but I'm holding my breath for 6-6.  However, i expect that to be the launching pad, and not the destination.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2018, 11:11:35 am »

Funny thing.  If that is our record this year, I believe CCM will have done a good job.  8-4 would be an awesome job, but I'm holding my breath for 6-6.  However, i expect that to be the launching pad, and not the destination.

Yep, a 6-6 regular season record would be a much better first year than Bret Bielema had and a bit better than Bobby Petrino had at Arkansas.

Bubba's Bruisers

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2018, 12:15:22 pm »

Wisdom.

HawgTrough

• Senior
  • You better help that damn bear
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2018, 12:16:07 pm »

Yep, a 6-6 regular season record would be a much better first year than Bret Bielema had and a bit better than Bobby Petrino had at Arkansas.

Even if the wins don't come this year, I hope to see a change in demeanor. Fighting until the finish and just giving all out effort. That would be a huge first step for Coach Morris and staff

OS2 (SW) Razor Back

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2018, 03:12:25 pm »

No worries, the bandwagon line forms next season op.

devildog

• Senior
  • "I'm with you fellers" - Delmar O'Donnell
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2018, 04:41:12 pm »

I mostly hope we just absolutely ruin someone else's season. One of the sayings around our house is "The Arkansas Razorbacks, making history for other teams". I'm hoping for a competitive spoiler to wreak havoc with the overinflated SECW. 

Breems

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2018, 06:11:44 pm »

I mostly hope we just absolutely ruin someone else's season. One of the sayings around our house is "The Arkansas Razorbacks, making history for other teams". I'm hoping for a competitive spoiler to wreak havoc with the overinflated SECW. 

I'm not ashamed of moral victories anymore. Making the Cotton/Capital One Bowl in football and the Sweet 16 in basketball are national championships to me.

razorsharptusk

• Fightin' Lumberjacks!
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2018, 09:46:10 am »

My expectations are that of a new coach in year 1 who hasn't got all the pieces yet. But one that takes a team that is tired of losing and installs a new attitude and focus within them. They come out fighting, with a huge chip on their shoulder and something to prove with no QUIT in them for 4 full quarters of football.  We are going to take our knocks as a new program is installed under new leadership. But regardless, the team on the field can play to the end.  No more of this play hard in the first half just to lose it in the second half business.  My hope with this coaching staff is that all of that crap is gone.  The way in which you lose speaks volumes.  Play like a wild bunch of Razorback Hogs! Let's make some teams take notice that we are on our way back to being a contender in the SEC. …..Ok..so my expectations are high...but I like what I have seen and heard so far with this new coaching staff....

orvillesghost

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2018, 01:12:14 pm »

I think the staff is working very hard and they seem to be going all out in recruiting as well.

A couple of years ago though I finally resigned myself to the fact that no matter who the coach is, Arkansas football in most years is going to win anywhere from four to eight games.

I will enjoy whatever wins we get this year.

Knot2brite

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2018, 02:24:26 pm »

If the Hogs football wins 5 games this year I will be absolutely stunned. If they win more than 24 over the next 4 years I will be surprised. Pleasantly surprised at that. I know that things CAN happen for the positive but I have seen too many falls to be overly optimistic. We are not going to be that much improved on defense, we don’t have enough explosive offensive weapons for this style and I just don’t see us ever having enough recruiting power to get enough kids to come here and play this style. But, again, I have been wrong many many times before and maybe I am wrong this time. 

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2018, 02:28:50 pm »

If the Hogs football wins 5 games this year I will be absolutely stunned. If they win more than 24 over the next 4 years I will be surprised. Pleasantly surprised at that. I know that things CAN happen for the positive but I have seen too many falls to be overly optimistic. We are not going to be that much improved on defense, we don’t have enough explosive offensive weapons for this style and I just don’t see us ever having enough recruiting power to get enough kids to come here and play this style. But, again, I have been wrong many many times before and maybe I am wrong this time. 

So you expect the Hogs to go 0-8 or 1-7 in SEC play with 17 starters returning this year and a MUCH better DC???

Knot2brite

« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2018, 02:30:48 pm »

So you expect the Hogs to go 0-8 or 1-7 in SEC play with 17 starters returning this year and a MUCH better DC???
Yes

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2018, 02:38:30 pm »

Yes

I have them going 6-6 with 4 Non-conference wins and SEC wins over Ole Miss and Vanderbilt.

4-0 in non-conference play

2-6 in SEC play

Knot2brite

« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2018, 02:42:31 pm »

I have them going 6-6 with 4 Non-conference wins and SEC wins over Ole Miss and Vanderbilt.

4-0 in non-conference play

2-6 in SEC play

You may very well be correct. I also may be correct. We may both be wrong and they do much much better....or worse. I just don’t see how that the same group of defensive players that couldn’t stop a sick cat from escaping a wet paper sack are suddenly going to be better because they have a 70 year old defensive coordinator and a coach that wants to go fast. But stranger things have happened

jst01

« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2018, 03:15:36 pm »

I just don’t see how that the same group of defensive players that couldn’t stop a sick cat from escaping a wet paper sack are suddenly going to be better because they have a 70 year old defensive coordinator and a coach that wants to go fast. But stranger things have happened

I never thought that most of the same players from 2011 could possibly go 4-8 in 2012...but having JL Smith as coach proved me wrong.  Leadership and direction can do wonders. I expect that same group to play with a whole different attitude and focus this year.

Knot2brite

« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2018, 03:21:32 pm »

I never thought that most of the same players from 2011 could possibly go 4-8 in 2012...but having JL Smith as coach proved me wrong.  Leadership and direction can do wonders. I expect that same group to play with a whole different attitude and focus this year.

While I agree that attitude and focus are major parts of the equation, the old adage “ Most of the time it isn’t the X’s and O’s It is the Jimmies and Joes” applies here. I am sure that this staff is full of good coaches but I don’t see them being able to turn what they have into world beaters or getting enough horses in here to run this system at the levels that will make the fan base happy. Of course, for some, the reincarnation of Bear Bryant wouldn’t make the fan base happy

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2018, 04:40:07 pm »

You may very well be correct. I also may be correct. We may both be wrong and they do much much better....or worse. I just don’t see how that the same group of defensive players that couldn’t stop a sick cat from escaping a wet paper sack are suddenly going to be better because they have a 70 year old defensive coordinator and a coach that wants to go fast. But stranger things have happened

Chavis is around 62 but who is counting.

Last year's team was a 7-5 team that went 4-8 because of horrible coaching.

The talent was there to beat A&M, Miss State, and Missouri as well as blowing out Coastal Carolina and Ole Miss but none of that happened because Bret and his staff were inept.

Knot2brite

« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2018, 07:30:18 pm »

Chavis is around 62 but who is counting.

Last year's team was a 7-5 team that went 4-8 because of horrible coaching.

The talent was there to beat A&M, Miss State, and Missouri as well as blowing out Coastal Carolina and Ole Miss but none of that happened because Bret and his staff were inept.

I don’t disagree that last years staff lost the ability to deliver a competitive product. I also agree that it was time for them to go. It wasn’t their offensive system or defensive system...it was just that they weren’t able to get the kids to play at a high level. I also don’t believe that this system is suited for our recruiting style. We will always get a hand full of kids that are amazing but we will still have to do more with above average players ...I am just not convinced that this staff will ever be a staff that can do this ...

InHognito

« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2018, 07:49:37 pm »

Lol good post. Totally agree. But you’re right, stranger things have happened

HogPharmer

« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2018, 08:07:27 pm »

The loss to ULM was when I quickly realized how big a difference good coaching can make.

Laughing Hog

« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2018, 08:08:54 pm »

I have taken the same approach. My expectations are zip. Whatever they do is whatever they do.

Unfortunately, I have also stepped into this arena. It is NOT what I grew up with and I hate it. Life is too short and I'm not getting any younger.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Nadine Coyle shakin it for the Hogs!!!!
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2018, 08:28:01 pm »

Great, maybe you'll get a big surprise? I expect more than you do and if we come up with less, I'll deal with it.

rtr

« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2018, 08:43:11 pm »

Going to be a rough year, we will see improvement but if we win 5 games I am happy.  Make a bowl and I am escatic.

rtr

« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2018, 08:44:50 pm »

The loss to ULM was when I quickly realized how big a difference good coaching can make.
Really, how about how awful they played in a win over Jacksonville State the week before.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Nadine Coyle shakin it for the Hogs!!!!
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2018, 08:50:17 pm »

Really, how about how awful they played in a win over Jacksonville State the week before.

You guys need to let go of the past. Let's see how this team does under a new staff with a different philosophy on both sides of the ball.

rtr

« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2018, 08:55:59 pm »

You guys need to let go of the past. Let's see how this team does under a new staff with a different philosophy on both sides of the ball.
I think it will be a lot like 2008 with maybe less talent.

rtr

« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2018, 08:58:50 pm »

The past is never dead, it is not even past.

HognitiveDissonance

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2018, 09:56:02 pm »

Your outlook is a wise one.

I'm kinda jaded myself, but my observation is Morris is really making waves on the recruiting trail. He's already bringing in some eye-opening talent. My judgment is always 'who else offered them?' and by that standard we're really doing well. Since this guy is only a few months into the job, I can only imagine this talent train will get better.

I also think Morris will get more of his talent than Bielema did.

I still hold Petrino's four years to be the gold standard, for coming into a situation and doing a steady progression and an incredible job, but I think Morris will be closer to that than Bret, for sure. I really believe he is going to do well.

Al Boarland

« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2018, 04:30:28 am »

Even if the wins don't come this year, I hope to see a change in demeanor. Fighting until the finish and just giving all out effort. That would be a huge first step for Coach Morris and staff

I can think of only one game where at times I did not see max effort. That was not an issue.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2018, 08:21:12 am »

I think it will be a lot like 2008 with maybe less talent.

I disagree. When Nutt departed at the end of 2007, he left the cupboard pretty bare so Petrino basically had to build from the ground up.

Chad Morris has much more talent to work with in his first year.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas