• 9,881,174 Posts
• 398,156 Topics
• 22,802 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Another Fun Texas Win  (Read 1495 times)

bphi11ips

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I need help with my footwork, too.
Another Fun Texas Win
« on: July 04, 2018, 05:46:45 pm »

1971 was a frustrating year.  Arkansas opened with big wins over California and Oklahoma State and were ranked 7th when a Tulsa team that would finish 4-7 pulled a 21-20 upset.  The Hogs then won four straight (including this win over Texas) to get to 8th before Texas A&M upset them 17-9.  A week later they tied Rice.  This was the team that lost the infamous Liberty Bowl 14-13 to Tennessee.  They finished 8-3-1 and ranked 16 in the final AP poll.  This 31-7 win over Texas was the highlight of the year:

Lots of great Razorbacks in this clip - Dickey Morton (33), Mike Reppond (26), Mike Saint (44), Bill McClard (placekicker), and, of course, Joe Ferguson.  He was never better than on October 16, 1971.  Ferguson displays the mechanics and vision here that made him the top high school QB in the country and led to an 18 year NFL career during which he threw for almost 30,000 yards.

Cowtown Hog

• Varsity
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Re: Another Fun Texas Win
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2018, 09:24:22 pm »

Thanks for posting.  I was there for that game.  Sat in the north end zone.  We left in the 2nd half because of the rain.  Great memory.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

bphi11ips

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2018, 09:29:13 pm »

Thanks for posting.  I was there for that game.  Sat in the north end zone.  We left in the 2nd half because of the rain.  Great memory.

I was 9 years old and it was the first time I’d ever seen Arkansas beat Texas.  My friend and I ran up and down the empty bleachers in the pouring rain calling the Hogs.  It’s still the hardest rain I’ve ever seen at a football game. We didn't care.  We stayed til the end.

Jackrabbit Hog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • 6/27/18: Just another layer of scar tissue
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2018, 09:32:20 pm »

I was 11.  Sat in the north end zone with my mom, dad and sister.  It rained cats and dogs that day but I didn’t care.  We kicked the dog out of a Texas team that would have ascended to #1 had they beaten us that day.  Still one of my favorites.

bphi11ips

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2018, 09:39:51 pm »

If you want to see how close we came to winning a NC in 1977, watch this one:

Steve Little hits a 67 yard field goal. The thing that stands out, though, are the gorgeous Arkansas cheerleaders and fans. Steve Little married one of them. Cindy Sagely appears on the sideline near the end of the game.

TheRazorback500

• All-American Hogvillian
  • It's better to burn out than fade away.
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2018, 09:51:21 pm »

I was 11.  Sat in the north end zone with my mom, dad and sister.  It rained cats and dogs that day but I didn’t care.  We kicked the dog out of a Texas team that would have ascended to #1 had they beaten us that day.  Still one of my favorites.
I was also 11 at the time, watching it with my buddies, one of the first time we had a TV in the bedroom. I always remember it being sweet after 14-15 and 7-42.

Jackrabbit Hog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2018, 10:02:50 pm »

If you want to see how close we came to winning a NC in 1977, watch this one:

Steve Little hits a 67 yard field goal. The thing that stands out, though, are the gorgeous Arkansas cheerleaders and fans. Steve Little married one of them. Cindy Sagely appears on the sideline near the end of the game.

Cindy Sagely’s uncle was my superintendent all 12 years of school.  Beautiful family.

bphi11ips

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2018, 10:07:36 pm »

Cindy Sagely’s uncle was my superintendent all 12 years of school.  Beautiful family.

My family’s seats were about 20 rows up on the west side in front of the pompon girls. Cindy was the captain. I was in love with her.

Hogs-n-Roses

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Coming to a Stadium Near You!
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2018, 08:13:59 am »

Was it Cindy or Stephanie?

Iwastherein1969

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Lana Lokteff a non apologetic Nordic lady, RED ICE
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2018, 09:02:42 am »

Too much #20 in white with burnt orange numbers. Maybe the greatest RB of all time. We gave it all we had.

bphi11ips

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2018, 12:19:08 pm »

Pretty sure it was Cindy. She shows up a few times in the video. I think that’s her at 38:26 just before Little hits the 67 yarder at 42:00.

bphi11ips

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2018, 12:22:25 pm »

Too much #20 in white with burnt orange numbers. Maybe the greatest RB of all time. We gave it all we had.

Yep, but the killer was the three passes on the late fourth quarter TD drive when we lead 9-6. I’d forgotten how the game ended. Deja vu all over again. Not much different than ‘69.

Hogs-n-Roses

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Coming to a Stadium Near You!
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2018, 01:10:29 pm »

Pretty sure it was Cindy. She shows up a few times in the video. I think that’s her at 38:26 just before Little hits the 67 yarder at 42:00.
The youngest was Scarlett I think.

ricepig

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2018, 01:15:29 pm »

It was Cindy, I had several fraternity brothers from Ft. Smith that knew her.

Jackrabbit Hog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2018, 09:37:06 pm »

The youngest was Scarlett I think.

Unless I'm mistaken, Cindy is Floyd's daughter.  Her uncle was Maurice (Floyd's brother), and he had two daughters, Stephanie and Scarlett.  I know them all very, very well.

PeabodyHawg

« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2018, 03:06:07 pm »

That was my Freshman year on the Hill.  I remember that game vividly.  The build up on campus during Texas Week was great.  Those were the old "you couldn't be on TV more than twice in a regular season" days so this being the ABC Game of the week was something.  The Tyler Rose was a MAN.

Thanks for posting the playback.  I saw several familiar faces when they panned the Student Section...most notably Lynn Andress from Texarkana.  She remains one of the most beautiful girls (looks and character) to have ever graced our campus.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas