• 395,957 Topics
• 22,375 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Offensive line coach background/experience  (Read 1955 times)

bigdogbitting

Offensive line coach background/experience
« on: July 03, 2018, 12:31:16 pm »

Does anyone have information on our new o line coach. Since this is a very critical area for us I was wondering who he is  and any background experience anyone knows about.

Sorry to show my lack of knowledge  but the last one we had was a disaster and helped create a job opening for coach Chad Morris.

factchecker

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • RAZORBACKS OR NOTHING!
Re: Offensive line coach background/experience
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2018, 12:42:54 pm »

It would be cool if we did a series of videos on our coaching staff like they did with SMU:

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Nadine Coyle shakin it for the Hogs!!!!
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2018, 06:33:03 pm »

Interesting. It gives you an insight into what he values and looks for in O-Linemen. And, he makes a point about recruiting. "Alabama can say, no one under 6-5 and get away with it and get the linemen they want, we can't do that. There are a lot of really good, athletic O-Linemen that are 6-2, 6-3 and 6-4".

Hogindasticks

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2018, 07:02:44 pm »

15th ranked offense in the country at SMU...nuff said

Al Boarland

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2018, 08:13:46 pm »

15th ranked offense in the country at SMU...nuff said

That's a strong number. What was the top ranked D he faced?

bphi11ips

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I need help with my footwork, too.
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2018, 08:29:55 pm »

What was SMUís average recruiting ranking from 2013-2016?

Hollywood_HOGan45

• Hollywood could coach better than nutt.
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2018, 08:34:29 pm »

I hate when fans do this.

This is like saying : "Well lets see what Alabama has when they go up against the New England Patriots".

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2018, 09:28:26 pm »

I get the comment. Not irrelevant. But he had less to work with as well in accomplishing this, if we are going to go to the "level of talent/competition" that they faced, thingy. It's like Fry said in his interview, Alabama can say that they won't sign any top level O-Lineman that is less than 6-5 and get away with that and still land a great class of O-Linemen. But that doesn't mean that there aren't equally as good O-Linemen that fall under that cut-line of 6-5. In fact, there are still many who may be as good or better. Being 6-5 doesn't automatically make you an All American O-Lineman. Excellent technique, intelligence, strength of will to not be defeated and strength of body and quickness might, even if you aren't 6-5.

So, this staff moves up in competition level and that will automatically mean that they will have a greater probability of access to better talent than they had at SMU. The SEC West does draw some pretty phenomenal athletes. It's all relative. Their level of success is going to have a great deal to do with their ability to identify the better athletes left over from the big boys...Alabama, Auburn and LSU, because they didn't fit the exact mold of their ideal player for a particular position, and then train, coach and develop the guys that they can get, to perform at as high of a level as those who fit the "ideal mold/profile" of the traditionally more dominant schools. The traditionally more successful SEC West schools have their template for recruiting, we have to identify those who can be very successful that fall under the qualifications that other schools seem to require.

• Woo Pig Sooie, brotha!
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2018, 09:30:38 pm »

I read on Hogville what a great hire Kurt Anderson was because he was going to teach technique. So I'll just wait and see how we actually perform.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2018, 09:39:27 pm »

I read on Hogville what a great hire Kurt Anderson was because he was going to teach technique. So I'll just wait and see how we actually perform.

There was obviously something that went terribly wrong with that deal and the one person on this board who could speak to that more factually and accurately than anyone else, seems to not post here any more. FanOnTheHill. I wish he still posted but he withdrew when his son left the team.

Hellafied

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2018, 09:45:30 pm »

They scored way more on TCU than we did

Stu

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2018, 09:46:30 pm »

This quote is not totally without merit, but I donít think Anderson actually was the offensive line coach of a top 20 offense before coming to Arkansas.   Dustin Fry has done this. Granted, not against Alabama, but for SMU to have been this prolific on offense requires an OL functioning as a team and I would think that reflects positively on Fryís ability as a coach.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2018, 09:52:54 pm »

Frank Ragnow was listed as 6í5Ē by the NFL combine........

If he was only 6í4Ē would it really have mattered. He would still have been drafted pretty dang high.

lakecityhog

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2018, 10:01:49 pm »

Think about this for just a minute, we had 4* center Zach Rogers sitting on the bench and it was mentioned on more than 1 occasion that he was too short at 6'2" so we played Ragnow at center. Once Ragnow was hurt we were forced to play Rogers and he played very well.

If we had played Rogers at center from day 1 last spring we could have put our best O'Lineman at a position of need and maybe had a better O'Line. Instead we seemed to focus on Ragnow's future in the NFL to the detriment of the team.

If Morris and Fry watch the kids practice and put the best 5 on the field we will be 100% better off than we were for the last few years. If Fry is totally honest in the above videos and gives every kid on the roster the same chance I believe that we can find 5 guys that can make a more than serviceable O'Line. If our guys can just get in front of the right guy he can at least slow him down for 2 seconds!

Al Boarland

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2018, 10:24:23 pm »

This is like saying : "Well lets see what Alabama has when they go up against the New England Patriots".

I'm not knocking the guy, but he has his work cut out for him against a few teams with really talented front 7's. So, before we pump up his contribution to a highly ranked offense it's important to consider that incredible ranking occured against teams who didn't play a whole heck of a lot of D.

It's like saying an offense was potent after treating our D like swiss cheese last season.

Stu

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2018, 10:43:58 pm »

I donít disagree, but team work on the line is still paramount to having a top 20 offense...regardless of talent.

Think of it this way, there were awful offenses in the same league as SMU, I have to believe that  OL not playing as a team was at the root of their issues.

I donít know if our OL will be effective against the ALs, A&Ms, Auburnís, LSUs or not.  I tend to believe we will have some success against all of them, but not sure if the successes will be evident in the first year.  I surmise we will be inconsistent in the first year and see improvement in each of the subsequent years...so long as the staff stays intact.

aloha_kid

• Hogvillian
  • CTMCS USN (Ret)
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2018, 12:07:50 am »

They scored 36 on TCU and had 463 yards total offense.  Compare that to our 7 points and 267 yards.  They also put up 489 yards against UCF.

Amityvillehogger

• Veni, vidi, vici...
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2018, 12:20:46 am »

I just hope he coaches/recruits closer to Sam Pittman then he does Kurt Anderson.

InHognito

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2018, 03:42:32 am »

Think about this for just a minute, we had 4* center Zach Rogers sitting on the bench and it was mentioned on more than 1 occasion that he was too short at 6'2" so we played Ragnow at center. Once Ragnow was hurt we were forced to play Rogers and he played very well.

If we had played Rogers at center from day 1 last spring we could have put our best O'Lineman at a position of need and maybe had a better O'Line. Instead we seemed to focus on Ragnow's future in the NFL to the detriment of the team.

If Morris and Fry watch the kids practice and put the best 5 on the field we will be 100% better off than we were for the last few years. If Fry is totally honest in the above videos and gives every kid on the roster the same chance I believe that we can find 5 guys that can make a more than serviceable O'Line. If our guys can just get in front of the right guy he can at least slow him down for 2 seconds!

Great post. Completely agree. The good news is that all of these players are new to the coaches, so maybe they wont have time to get to know them well enough to pick favorites before season starts lol

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2018, 06:59:12 am »

Great post. Completely agree. The good news is that all of these players are new to the coaches, so maybe they wont have time to get to know them well enough to pick favorites before season starts lol

I think that we can be assured that Fry will have his favorites and play his favorites and they will probably be the ones who emulate exactly what he described in those videos. Forget about what occurred in any of the previous 2 seasons. It has no bearing on what is about to happen here except as it applies to who this staff inherited on the O-Line. The good thing is that he has at least 12 guys who have been in the program for more than a year and they are adding 3 more for this year.

Al Boarland

« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2018, 07:03:43 am »

They scored 36 on TCU and had 463 yards total offense.  Compare that to our 7 points and 267 yards.  They also put up 489 yards against UCF.

That's really good. TCU ranked number 19 in total D last season. Using those rankings we will face the number 1, 10, 12 and 14 defenses.

East TN HAWG

• Hogville.net
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2018, 07:50:46 am »

You donít think the level of competition matters when analyzing statistics?   Itís a very relevant point.  A top 15 offense in that league is not a top 15 in a P5 especially SEC.  It would probably equate to a top 25-30 (maybe higher) if he was in the SEC.  That is still good, but you would bump your chest over it.

Itís not the same as comparing Bama to an NFL team.  The only simialarity is that it is step up in competition between SMU and a P5 school; however, the NCAA lumps all schools together when comparing statics.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 08:06:40 am by East TN HAWG »

ricepig

« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2018, 07:58:06 am »

You donít think the level of competition matters when analyzing statistics?   Itís a very relevant point.  A top 15 offense in that league is not a top 15 in a P5 especially SEC.  It would probably equate to a top 25-30 (maybe higher) if he was in the SEC.  That is still good, but you would bump your chest over it.

I think it's all relative, kind of like what Riley said about Georgia's defense, they were good, but would they have had the same rating playing against the Big 12 offenses? I think they would have won every game, just more like 62-40, instead of 24-0.

Dominicanhog

« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2018, 08:32:51 am »

The good thing is that he has at least 12 guys who have been in the program for more than a year and they are adding 3 more for this year.

a fact gone unnoticed.. this is what the OL is all about... imo, the OL was going to be better on depth and experience alone, no matter the staff... I like Fry's demeanor better than our last OLC... we could surprise a few.. if we win the one's we are equal to in talent and play good football against the rest, with maybe an upset, we are 7-4, 8-5... CBB had the opportunity to do this every year and failed most times.. as you pointed out in a previous post... we have as much as OM, MSU, UM, Vandy... gotta win the ones your supposed to..that's coaching..

wildhogman

« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2018, 09:39:18 am »

That's really good. TCU ranked number 19 in total D last season. Using those rankings we will face the number 1, 10, 12 and 14 defenses.
someone asked you a question earlier and as it pertains to what you discuss I am curious your answer. What was SMU average recruiting ranking compared to their competition. Compared to TCU in particular. 

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2018, 09:45:03 am »

someone asked you a question earlier and as it pertains to what you discuss I am curious your answer. What was SMU average recruiting ranking compared to their competition. Compared to TCU in particular. 

I donít believe comparing to TCU is valid since they arenít in the same conference. Although theyíve played, TCU should be higher ranked recruiting wise since they are a member of a P5 conference. Even if it is the weakest of the P5.

wildhogman

« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2018, 10:01:18 am »

I don’t believe comparing to TCU is valid since they aren’t in the same conference. Although they’ve played, TCU should be higher ranked recruiting wise since they are a member of a P5 conference. Even if it is the weakest of the P5.
Oh I don't think any of it is relevant. Bottom line is this staff has yet to coach a game let alone a full season. But Constantly any time fans try to find hope there is always someone ready to throw water on it. So I wanted to see his answer. 

On reflection there is one thing relevant. If CCM took a lesser talented team and scored more on TCU then we did last year. It give pause to consider what he might do with the talent we have now

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2018, 10:14:46 am »

Oh I don't think any of it is relevant. Bottom line is this staff has yet to coach a game let alone a full season. But Constantly any time fans try to find hope there is always someone ready to throw water on it. So I wanted to see his answer. 

On reflection there is one thing relevant. If CCM took a lesser talented team and scored more on TCU then we did last year. It give pause to consider what he might do with the talent we have now

I think that your point is relevant point simply because at the end of 3 quarter of play, TCU only lead 35-29 at their own field. TCU had to score two TD's in the 4th to SMU's single TD and pick off a pass and return it for another TD to stretch the lead to the final score of 56-36. It was a lot closer game than the score implies.

https://www.ncaa.com/game/football/fbs/2017/09/16/smu-tcu/scoring-summary

wildhogman

« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2018, 10:21:43 am »

I think that your point is relevant point simply because at the end of 3 quarter of play, TCU only lead 35-29 at their own field. TCU had to score two TD's in the 4th to SMU's single TD and pick off a pass and return it for another TD to stretch the lead to the final score of 56-36. It was a lot closer game than the score implies.

https://www.ncaa.com/game/football/fbs/2017/09/16/smu-tcu/scoring-summary
Thank you. Without actually seeing the game or a replay I would guess at first glance SMU just ran out of gas without enough talented depth.  But the fact they made TCU sweat for 3 Qtrs is impressive.  I am back to hoping by the end of year one we have as much hope as we did in 2008 even during a losing season.

aloha_kid

• Hogvillian
  • CTMCS USN (Ret)
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2018, 01:11:35 pm »

They put 489 against the team that beat the SEC West Champion, who ranked 14th last season.  Good thing we don't play UTSA, because they ranked 5th.

Pork Twain

« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2018, 08:18:29 am »

Positivity is like poison ivy for some on here.

havok

« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2018, 08:23:59 am »

From what I have pieced together from various reports..  Coach Fry is one who will actually point out deficiencies, and actually get down 1on1 to teach through demonstration and repetition of techniques how to correct.

Linemen seemed to relate that difference from previous, that basically would say.. ď You need to correct thatĒ but never did much to help show or give pointers on what to do. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas