• 9,980,339 Posts
• 400,530 Topics
• 22,947 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: How often do you think the Hogs will beat TAMU under Jimbo?  (Read 2931 times)

Ben

• Senior
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net

How frequent do you see a hog win vs the aggies during Jimbo's tenure?

RyanMallettsEgo

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Take it easy, I'm pre-law.
Re: How often do you think the Hogs will beat TAMU under Jimbo?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2018, 12:26:12 pm »

What are we supposed to be going off of to support an argument one way or the other?

Neither one of these guys has coached a single game at their new school.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Al Boarland

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2018, 02:02:34 pm »

I'll give you an opinion after this recruiting cycle.

liljo

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2018, 02:05:38 pm »

Once per year. Max.

Cinco de Hogo

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2018, 02:46:53 pm »

Every time until he don’t!

Nashville Fan

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Welcome to next year!
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2018, 03:15:39 pm »

I would love to see Morris be the reason Jimbo gets fired. Will be funny when Morris starts beating the Aggies regularly.

phadedhawg

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2018, 04:21:35 pm »

too soon to say but A&M is in a better position to succeed than we are in the short term.  Hope the balance of power changes soon.

Pigs_In_Zen

• Senior
  • There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity.
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2018, 04:42:37 pm »

Not very frequently if they continue to recruit like they are now and we continue to recruit like we are now.

theFlyingHog

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2018, 06:13:45 pm »

Aggie is gonna aggie. We just have to not out-aggie the aggies while they’re aggie’ing.

Dwight_K_Shrute

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Follow @fakewallyhall.
    • Missing your favorite thread?  It's probably in Vents and Rumors
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2018, 06:38:07 pm »

too soon to say but A&M is in a better position to succeed than we are in the short term.  Hope the balance of power changes soon.

This.  Culturally they may have been a dumpster fire, but not talent wise.  They should be able to get a decent new hire boost just from having a change in mindset, attitude, clean slate.  I think we are in a similar position but for our first year that boost may be getting to 6 or 7 wins.  With the talent on hand at A&M that boost could easily translate to 10 wins.

Con el Cerdos

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2018, 07:21:35 pm »

I would love to see Morris be the reason Jimbo gets fired. Will be funny when Morris starts beating the Aggies regularly.

Therein, lies the problem.  Morris has success at Arkansas (getting Jimbo fired), his alma mater will just call him home.

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2018, 07:58:45 pm »

Over the past 5 or 6 years, we've been close in our games with A&M and, in my opinion, their past coach was a better overall coach than our past coach.  Just looking at results, Jimbo is better than our present coach so the tide may not turn real soon.  Many on MMQB have stated that Jimbo isn't that good of a coach but I believe he is a very good coach, but I hope he isn't.  Time will tell.

I believe our coach has two things that might turn the tide over time and thats fire in the belly and refusing to be denied.  Only time will answer the question being pondered.  I want to think our new coaching staff will outwork their staff and eventually we will climb back on top of the A&M series.  I would not be surprised if we won this coming season and I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't.  If we hope to dance with the big boys, this is a game we need badly.

PorkSoda

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2018, 08:05:29 pm »

Therein, lies the problem.  Morris has success at Arkansas (getting Jimbo fired), his alma mater will just call him home.
yeah it would be much better if he loses to the aggies every year and jimbo gets a raise and we get to keep morris.

Justifiable Hogicide

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2018, 08:23:49 pm »

And his negotiating for no SEC Non Compete clause in his contract indicates he will go.
But that is a problem we can handle.

Con el Cerdos

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2018, 08:35:00 pm »

Not very frequently if they continue to recruit like they are now and we continue to recruit like we are now.

This is what I expect.  Primarily, because of what you point out.  Just too much talent in east and SE Texas and the metroplex that WANT to be Aggies.

If Jimbo is the right coach, and he might be, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Aggies move ahead of LSU and Auburn in the West pecking order.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Nadine Coyle shakin it for the Hogs!!!!
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2018, 09:00:58 pm »

Over the past 5 or 6 years, we've been close in our games with A&M and, in my opinion, their past coach was a better overall coach than our past coach.  Just looking at results, Jimbo is better than our present coach so the tide may not turn real soon.  Many on MMQB have stated that Jimbo isn't that good of a coach but I believe he is a very good coach, but I hope he isn't.  Time will tell.

I believe our coach has two things that might turn the tide over time and thats fire in the belly and refusing to be denied.  Only time will answer the question being pondered.  I want to think our new coaching staff will outwork their staff and eventually we will climb back on top of the A&M series.  I would not be surprised if we won this coming season and I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't.  If we hope to dance with the big boys, this is a game we need badly.

There is this anyway. Under Petrino, with a offensive scheme that tended to stress defenses in terms of coverage of receivers, A&M had Mike Sherman as a HC. Petrino was 3-0 vs. Sherman at A&M while Sherman embraced a Pro Style Offense. So did Petrino but Petrino's scheming of his offense allowed him to have success against Sherman.

Now we have Jimbo Fisher, another Pro Style enthusiast who may or may not be able to leverage the talent that was built under a different, more wide open, hurry up, throw the ball a lot kind of offense (far different than his power style of offense) vs. a Morris style of offense designed to stress the defense through RPO's. How well did Fisher fare vs. Clemson when facing the same style of offense? Morris was 2-2 as the OC at Clemson vs. Florida State. Florida State had tons more talent on the field vs. Clemson during that time and yet couldn't do better than 50%.

I would suggest that the difference here may not be as much about recruiting rankings and perceived talent levels as much as it is about which HC is able to transition their offenses more quickly and efficiently to their brand of football. Starkel, according to Phil Steele, is a gifted pocket passer (perfect for a Pro Style) "who can throw it through a wall", perhaps referencing a strong arm. But there probably isn't anyone in the SEC with a stronger arm than Cole Kelley, but his requirements on offense, while requiring a strong and accurate arm with a quick release, may be different than that which is required of Starkel.

A&M will have slightly more experience returning on the O-Line than us but they return more production out of their backfield with Trayveon Williams being the key player with almost three times as many all purpose yards as any other returning RB.

I'd suggest that this will be yet another close game but with Morris at the helm calling his offense, I think we have a better chance than we have in the past. We will see.

DLUXHOG

• It'll feel better when it quits hurtin'
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2018, 09:54:38 pm »

Based on long term history .....every time...

RyanMallettsEgo

• Take it easy, I'm pre-law.
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2018, 10:24:06 pm »

Based on long term history .....every time...

What about based on recent history?

HogBreath

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2018, 10:25:45 pm »

yeah it would be much better if he loses to the aggies every year and jimbo gets a raise and we get to keep morris.
Egg-zackly....we don't wanna go down that worm hole of a problemo.   Let's just lose and avoid that.

HogPharmer

« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2018, 10:45:13 pm »

And his negotiating for no SEC Non Compete clause in his contract indicates he will go.

How long is CCM’s contract for? If he’s having that much success, his contract will be renegotiated with a higher salary and non-compete clause by the time TAMU can afford to buyout Jimbo’s $75 MILLION contract.

HogPharmer

« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2018, 10:50:10 pm »

It’s easy to forget how dumb the Aggies are.... I mean, they gave a coach a $75M guaranteed contract for a decade who has declined year after year since winning his NC (yeah, I know... “but he still won a NC”). He’s shown no ability to coach appropriately with the talent he’s had at his disposal. Not saying Jimbo isn’t a good coach. But he’s not a $75M/10yr coach.... If it were my school paying him, I’d be pissed giving him that kind of buyout. They’ve essentially made him a franchise player.

Mike_e

• May the woo be with you
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2018, 08:35:36 am »

How long is CCM’s contract for? If he’s having that much success, his contract will be renegotiated with a higher salary and non-compete clause by the time TAMU can afford to buyout Jimbo’s $75 MILLION contract.

Identifying the next man up and getting on the staff (HC in waiting) would also be a good move.

If the AD can decide on a general tone of the program and work towards that thru assuring new hires complimenting a system rather than allowing a coach to just blow things up to get that 'one more year' like PB&J did -OK harsh but still- we'd be a lot better off in the long run.

I also realize that if CCM were to fit that scenario trying to keep him would be a moot point none the less in my opinion reinventing the wheel every time you need one is much harder than putting on the spare and should be avoided.

HF#1

« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2018, 08:50:55 am »

hogcards

• The Glimmer Twins
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2018, 09:19:51 am »

We should get back to beating them on a regular basis soon.  We no longer have the befuddled fat a%& roaming our sidelines. I still vividly remember the idiot staring at the scoreboard after last year's loss.

The Kig

• Hogville Heroes
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2018, 09:25:18 am »

Not sure it changes much...honestly.   Morris' creativity give us chances in some games, but Jimbo will not squander the talent as much as the prior administration.   Somewhat of a catch-22.  Until we demonstrate a consistent ability to win, we aren't likely to close the talent gap through recruiting. 

Sure Morris had success at Clemson vs Jimbo's FL ST teams, but those were with some very talented teams.  At least one came with the best QB in the country on a team that also beat Alabama.  In the arms race of college football in the SEC, A&M has the facilities, finances, talent and coaching (maybe only question) to be one of the top teams every year.  That doesn't guarantee they will get there or that we won't, but simply having the better coach certainly doesn't.

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2018, 09:46:12 am »

Offense and offensive style has not been the biggest problem vs A&M.  At times, it made the Aggies look soft and foolish.  The defense giving up big plays has been.

2014 Hogs had 484 yards of offense, 22 first downs and the ball for 38 minutes and built a 28-14 lead in the 3rd qtr.  4th Qtr the D gave up an 86 yard TD pass and 59 yard TD pass with 2 minutes left.  This and the Skipper hold contributed heavily to the loss. 

2015 Hogs outgained the Aggies 457 - 423, 25 first downs to 17, 39.5 min to 20.5 min.  A&M scored TDs on a 4 play 98 yard drive and 5 plays 85 yards with 2 min left to send the game to OT. This drive had a 63 yard pass play and pass interference in it. 

2017 Hogs 457 yards of offense and 21 first downs.  Gave up 501 yards.  Big plays killed us again.  Aggies first TD 81 yard pass.  Up 21-10, defense gets out of their run lanes and Mond goes 79 yards.  Had the momentum and the Aggies backed up to their 11.  Defensive breakdown again though lets Aggies back in.  Next A&M possession starts with a 50 yard pass.  Drive ends with A&M going up 24-21.  2nd half gave up a 44 yard TD run.

I do agree though the offense did miss chances to close out A&M.  We are starting off with Morris with much lesser talent at WR than what A&M has had in players like Evans, Reynolds, Kirk and Noil.  I will add all accounts on Jackson I've heard and read is he may end up in that class of big play threat soon. 
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 10:07:20 am by Atlhogfan1 »

Nashville Fan

• Welcome to next year!
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2018, 11:05:23 am »

A&M has ALWAYS been in a better position to succeed than AR - short term or long term. However, even with statistically the worst coach in AR's SEC history and one of the better coaches in aTm history, A&M needed overtime to beat AR.

Balance of power is changing; but in Texas. TX is back on top of the blip in aTm getting SEC revenue bump. When TX begins getting their pick of TX players again, it's down hill for aTm / TCU / Baylor.

theFlyingHog

« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2018, 12:41:34 pm »

We should get back to beating them on a regular basis soon.  We no longer have the befuddled fat a%& roaming our sidelines. I still vividly remember the idiot staring at the scoreboard after last year’s loss
To be fair, it was probably a Petit Jean Meats commercial he was watching

hogcards

• The Glimmer Twins
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2018, 12:48:22 pm »

To be fair, it was probably a Petit Jean Meats commercial he was watching

Con el Cerdos

« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2018, 04:21:52 pm »

Six year contract.  Fairly certain of that.  Money, I don't even have a guess.

tusked

• Clapton is god....but SRV was the big bang!
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2018, 05:11:50 pm »

If CM is the next BP on the field then 50/50 at worse.  If he's better than BB but not BP, 1 out of 3 games.

I remember when the hogs were winning 2-3 out of 5 against Bama.  And then Nick showed up.

BigBrandonAllenFan

« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2018, 05:51:23 pm »

All of them.  Coach Rocket Man will hit them with his high density laser beam.  He will vaporize the fools.

Vantage 8 dude

« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2018, 09:37:56 pm »

Personally I'll settle for a start by beating those clowns THIS coming season. We have some serious payback to give those guys.

Pigs_In_Zen

• Senior
« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2018, 11:22:34 pm »

In addition to the player talent gap, Jimbo put together a pretty good staff. For example, Schmidt was a good hire and he is getting their strength program up to the level he had at OU. They hired a recruiting director from Alabama. It appears A&M is serious about moving to the next level.

HogPharmer

« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2018, 11:23:25 pm »

In addition to the player talent gap, Jimbo put together a pretty good staff. For example, Schmidt was a good hire and he is getting their strength program up to the level he had at OU. They hired a recruiting director from Alabama. It appears A&M is serious about moving to the next level.

For $75M, they had better be.

Pigs_In_Zen

• Senior
« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2018, 11:30:25 pm »

For $75M, they had better be.

Agreed. I'm not sold on Jimbo, but if he has the right staff, it will not be an easy game for us. Games are not Jimbo vs Morris like it is made out to be. I read that Jimbo cut out all the music from practices to make sure the players can hear the coaching. They seem pretty serious to me. I live outside Houston, so I get a lot of news about the Aggies.

HogPharmer

« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2018, 11:33:54 pm »

Agreed. I'm not sold on Jimbo, but if he has the right staff, it will not be an easy game for us. Games are not Jimbo vs Morris like it is made out to be. I read that Jimbo cut out all the music from practices to make sure the players can hear the coaching. They seem pretty serious to me. I live outside Houston, so I get a lot of news about the Aggies.

I feel sorry for you

Pigs_In_Zen

• Senior
« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2018, 12:15:35 am »

I feel sorry for you

Lol thanks. At least it is SEC related. The Shorthorn news is where you should really feel sorry for me.

Hoggish1

« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2018, 09:07:02 am »

True.  Everybody should look at how Jimbo ran FSU into the ground.  The mark of a good coach is that he has his team getting better, not worse. Jimbo does not wear well... 

aTm

« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2018, 10:33:51 am »

A&M has ALWAYS been in a better position to succeed than AR - short term or long term. However, even with statistically the worst coach in AR's SEC history and one of the better coaches in aTm history, A&M needed overtime to beat AR.

Balance of power is changing; but in Texas. TX is back on top of the blip in aTm getting SEC revenue bump. When TX begins getting their pick of TX players again, it's down hill for aTm / TCU / Baylor.

Have you even looked at this years recruiting rankings?  Herman in year 3 is getting smoked by Jimbo in year 1.  Jimbo and his staff have A&M at #2 in recruiting and with a few big ones to come, could have the #1 spot.  When it's all said and done next Feb, Ags will be in the 4-6 range (Bama, UGA, and Ohio State most likely 1-3). 

Sumlin's best class was #7 in '13.  every other year he was 10-15.  I think you will see Jimbo in the top 5 regularly...just like he was at FSU. 

BTW - Jimbo was 10-2 vs the SEC at FSU and won 10 games every season but last year when his starting QB went out and he and the rest of the staff were basically checked out knowing they were moving on for various reasons unrelated to football.   

Hogtimes

« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2018, 10:41:06 am »

Carefulwhat you wish for.   If Morris is successful and jimbo gets fired....we likely lose Morris to replace Jimbo.                                   

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2018, 10:49:15 am »

There is this anyway. Under Petrino, with a offensive scheme that tended to stress defenses in terms of coverage of receivers, A&M had Mike Sherman as a HC. Petrino was 3-0 vs. Sherman at A&M while Sherman embraced a Pro Style Offense. So did Petrino but Petrino's scheming of his offense allowed him to have success against Sherman.

Now we have Jimbo Fisher, another Pro Style enthusiast who may or may not be able to leverage the talent that was built under a different, more wide open, hurry up, throw the ball a lot kind of offense (far different than his power style of offense) vs. a Morris style of offense designed to stress the defense through RPO's. How well did Fisher fare vs. Clemson when facing the same style of offense? Morris was 2-2 as the OC at Clemson vs. Florida State. Florida State had tons more talent on the field vs. Clemson during that time and yet couldn't do better than 50%.

I would suggest that the difference here may not be as much about recruiting rankings and perceived talent levels as much as it is about which HC is able to transition their offenses more quickly and efficiently to their brand of football. Starkel, according to Phil Steele, is a gifted pocket passer (perfect for a Pro Style) "who can throw it through a wall", perhaps referencing a strong arm. But there probably isn't anyone in the SEC with a stronger arm than Cole Kelley, but his requirements on offense, while requiring a strong and accurate arm with a quick release, may be different than that which is required of Starkel.

A&M will have slightly more experience returning on the O-Line than us but they return more production out of their backfield with Trayveon Williams being the key player with almost three times as many all purpose yards as any other returning RB.

I'd suggest that this will be yet another close game but with Morris at the helm calling his offense, I think we have a better chance than we have in the past. We will see.

Excellent analysis. The only thing I would add is the Chavis knows what their players can do. They might be running a different O than when he was there but he will know their weaknesses and strengths player wise.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2018, 10:50:02 am »

Carefulwhat you wish for.   If Morris is successful and jimbo gets fired....we likely lose Morris to replace Jimbo.                                   

Let’s cross one bridge at a time ...........

justmakeit2thebcs

« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2018, 10:52:36 am »

They have a much more proven coach and more access to talent.  We have optimism.  That's good for 1 win every 5 years, maybe 10.

#hammerdown

« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2018, 10:53:55 am »

I keep seeing this mentioned on here. Can anyone confirm it was an item of negotiation?  Jefff Long is the person who brought the non compete to the contracts.  Jeff Long is gone.  I’m not sure the UA asked for a non compete.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #45 on: July 10, 2018, 10:54:28 am »

Have you even looked at this years recruiting rankings?  Herman in year 3 is getting smoked by Jimbo in year 1.  Jimbo and his staff have A&M at #2 in recruiting and with a few big ones to come, could have the #1 spot.  When it's all said and done next Feb, Ags will be in the 4-6 range (Bama, UGA, and Ohio State most likely 1-3). 

Sumlin's best class was #7 in '13.  every other year he was 10-15.  I think you will see Jimbo in the top 5 regularly...just like he was at FSU. 

BTW - Jimbo was 10-2 vs the SEC at FSU and won 10 games every season but last year when his starting QB went out and he and the rest of the staff were basically checked out knowing they were moving on for various reasons unrelated to football.   

Maybe ask yourself why Jimbo wanted to leave. It might not have been about money or any perceived great Aggie tradition.

aTm

« Reply #46 on: July 10, 2018, 11:33:07 am »

Maybe ask yourself why Jimbo wanted to leave. It might not have been about money or any perceived great Aggie tradition.

He’s said many times why. He wanted further commitment from FSU for football. They were falling behind Clemson, Bama, Florida, UGA, and Auburn in the arms race...they had the worse facilities by far. The commitment from University and Athletic department was not on par with his competition.

Say what you want about A&M, but you can’t say the commitment from the top down isn’t there.

On a personal note, Jimbo recently went through a nasty divorce where his wife cheated on him with tennis coach who was still in the athletic department. Jimbo also wanted a change of scenery.

Finally, Jimbo was never going to be “the Man”...that’s reserved for BOBBY Bowden. At A&M, he can absolutely be “the Man”. Right now, “the Man” at A&M is either Jackie Sherril or RC Slocum depending on who you ask.

HogPharmer

« Reply #47 on: July 10, 2018, 12:20:00 pm »

10 years.

$75 Million.

Con el Cerdos

« Reply #48 on: July 10, 2018, 12:35:39 pm »

He’s said many times why. He wanted further commitment from FSU for football. They were falling behind Clemson, Bama, Florida, UGA, and Auburn in the arms race...they had the worse facilities by far. The commitment from University and Athletic department was not on par with his competition.

Say what you want about A&M, but you can’t say the commitment from the top down isn’t there.

On a personal note, Jimbo recently went through a nasty divorce where his wife cheated on him with tennis coach who was still in the athletic department. Jimbo also wanted a change of scenery.

Finally, Jimbo was never going to be “the Man”...that’s reserved for BOBBY Bowden. At A&M, he can absolutely be “the Man”. Right now, “the Man” at A&M is either Jackie Sherril or RC Slocum depending on who you ask.

Anyway you cut it, Jimbo has a tough row to hoe at A&M, competing in the SEC, and recruiting against Texas and OU in the state of Texas.  Not to mention Bama and LSU who spot recruit Texas successfully.

If Jimbo can continue to recruit and coach as well as the A&M administration obviously thinks he should, then Jimbo and the Aggies might compete for and maybe win an SEC championship or two per decade.

But, if he falls behind Texas in recruiting he will likely do no better than the previous coach did.  This is what I expect to happen.

His success against Arkansas?  More wins than losses but probably not as well as Sumlin did, IMO.

HogPharmer

« Reply #49 on: July 10, 2018, 12:42:42 pm »

I thought you guys considered Lyle Lovett to be "the man" at TAMU?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas