• 10,016,015 Posts
• 401,474 Topics
• 22,977 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New helmet rule in NFL  (Read 712 times)

TebowHater

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • DMAC > teBLOW
New helmet rule in NFL
« on: June 30, 2018, 04:12:03 pm »

If enforced as this fear-mongering article makes it sound, it really could change the game. I sure hope that the college game doesn't adopt such a rule. The automatic ejection for "targeting," often times which is definitely not targeting, is already absurd.

For those who didn't read, essentially, it is a penalty if a player ever ducks his head - be it offense or defense. About to get hit after catching a pass and you duck your head for protection - 15 yard penalty on you!

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2783289-new-helmet-rule-could-make-nfl-unrecognizable?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial

HenduHog

• Razorbacks: Hostile and mobile
Re: New helmet rule in NFL
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2018, 04:21:53 pm »

I think something has to e done to protect players. There is more than enough evidence that the brain in NFL players is taking a brutal punishment.

I think back to the Green Bay game when the Packer receiver got hit it the head with the helmet of an opposing player.  May have been Chicago. Not only was there no penalty, there certainly wasn't a hint of ejection.  Had that been NCAA he would have been legitimately gone.

If they don't do something, in 20 years football will be gone. It'll be legislated away.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

TebowHater

• DMAC > teBLOW
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2018, 04:43:37 pm »

I think something has to e done to protect players. There is more than enough evidence that the brain in NFL players is taking a brutal punishment.

I think back to the Green Bay game when the Packer receiver got hit it the head with the helmet of an opposing player.  May have been Chicago. Not only was there no penalty, there certainly wasn't a hint of ejection.  Had that been NCAA he would have been legitimately gone.

If they don't do something, in 20 years football will be gone. It'll be legislated away.

Actually, just about all the science that has been perpetuated about CTE has been highly sensationalized and is close to fake news. Nothing is worse than the JAMA article that was plastered all over the NYT that "99% of NFL players have CTE." No, 99% of players who had head issues and thus donated their brains, indeed, were found to have head issues. That is like 99% of people who died of coughing and not being able to breathe donating their lungs and indeed them being found to have lung problems.

No epidemiologic data have actually shown playing football to be associated with worse outcomes. In fact, they have found:

1. HS football players actually have the same cognitive function, rates of alcohol use later in life, and lower rates of depression compared to general population. https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamaneurology/article-abstract/2635831

2. NFL players have a lower rate of suicide and depression compared to the general population. http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/0363546516645093

3. No difference in mortality between NFL players and similar caliber athletes. https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/article-abstract/2671028

To be clear, CTE is definitely real. RBs, LBs are probably not left in the greatest shape. But the notion that everyone who plays football is bound for head issues is simply insane. And to make matters even more compelling of these data that even say it's ok, were done with players who were wearing wayyyy lower quality helmets. Granted, this may be balanced with an increased speed of the game.

Seebs

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2018, 04:49:55 pm »

My theory is simple. CTE is caused by Gatorade. Did not have CTE before the 70's and many players today that do not have CTE I's be interested if they drank water instead of Gatorade.

Let's test some women athletes that have met an early demise and see if there are any parallels.

Or, it could just be repeated head trauma. 

bennyl08

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Ever since the war I've had a drinking problem
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2018, 05:44:02 pm »

Actually, just about all the science that has been perpetuated about CTE has been highly sensationalized and is close to fake news. Nothing is worse than the JAMA article that was plastered all over the NYT that "99% of NFL players have CTE." No, 99% of players who had head issues and thus donated their brains, indeed, were found to have head issues. That is like 99% of people who died of coughing and not being able to breathe donating their lungs and indeed them being found to have lung problems.

No epidemiologic data have actually shown playing football to be associated with worse outcomes. In fact, they have found:

1. HS football players actually have the same cognitive function, rates of alcohol use later in life, and lower rates of depression compared to general population. https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamaneurology/article-abstract/2635831

2. NFL players have a lower rate of suicide and depression compared to the general population. http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/0363546516645093

3. No difference in mortality between NFL players and similar caliber athletes. https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/article-abstract/2671028

To be clear, CTE is definitely real. RBs, LBs are probably not left in the greatest shape. But the notion that everyone who plays football is bound for head issues is simply insane. And to make matters even more compelling of these data that even say it's ok, were done with players who were wearing wayyyy lower quality helmets. Granted, this may be balanced with an increased speed of the game.

No, it wasn't "fake news". You know how you know that it was only deceased players who were so bad their family's donated their brains for the research? Because that was widely reported. Every article that I read on the subject was very clear about that aspect. That is wasn't 99% of all players or anything remotely similar.

As for the studies listed, those don't really counter any arguments about CTE. It would be akin to countering an argument about acl injuries in football with articles showing that football players often have stronger ankles and better hip flexibility.

That said, there are consequences to any decision made, both good and bad. The more active your are, the more prone to injuries you are and the less active, the more prone to chronic health conditions as one example. The odds of your kid suffering negative  health impacts from sitting on the couch all day are much higher than playing football. However, as members of the human species, we are particularly sensitive about damage to brains.

The big thing with CTE is that it would be akin to finding out that driving a car can lead to arthritis. Sure, if you are in a collision or sitting with bad posture for long periods of time, one could expect injury, but to find out that perfect posture and a perfect driving record doesn't matter, it is simply the steady stream of vibrations causing premature arthritis would probably lead to a massive wave of manufacturers working on having seats that absorb more vibrations and governments working to make streets smoother. Same thing with CTE. Of course having big collisions with the head can lead to injuries, but the routine, unavoidable forces slowly summing together to create subtle changes in your brain and personality, that is what has people freaked.

oldman1015

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2018, 11:03:21 am »

My theory is simple. CTE is caused by Gatorade. Did not have CTE before the 70's and many players today that do not have CTE I's be interested if they drank water instead of Gatorade.

Let's test some women athletes that have met an early demise and see if there are any parallels.

Or, it could just be repeated head trauma. 
Genius +1 if I could.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas